PDA

View Full Version : The infamous SPL Split - top half or bottom half ??

Ants
20-02-2011, 07:48 PM
Well then folks.... whats your ambitions after todays result with the current team permutations ongoing....

1. Top Six : probably not doing very well with an in experienced team. Every game could be a toil, demoralising for the team and fans....

2. Bottom Six : Getting lots of experience and hopefully winning against teams the same as us. Giving the newcomers a chance to shine, gaining in experience for the forthcoming season...

mim
20-02-2011, 08:01 PM
We won't make the top 6.
Hopefully we will be clear of relegation worries by the split and be able to concentrate on building for next season.

Hibercelona
20-02-2011, 08:12 PM
We won't make the top 6.
Hopefully we will be clear of relegation worries by the split and be able to concentrate on building for next season.

We're only 8 points away from 6th place. I don't think its impossible. :thumbsup:

--------
20-02-2011, 08:20 PM
We're only 8 points away from 6th place. I don't think its impossible. :thumbsup:

Not IMPOSSIBLE.

But IMPROBABLE, I think.

Hibercelona
20-02-2011, 08:25 PM
Not IMPOSSIBLE.

But IMPROBABLE, I think.

Well we've just won 3 games in a row. That's usually very rare for us, even when we're on top form.

Hopefully if recent fortunes continue we could see ourselves up there. :pray:

The Hurricane
20-02-2011, 08:42 PM
We won't make the top 6.
100% correct

erin go bragh
20-02-2011, 10:09 PM
im with you mate [got a pearl diver on us at 80-1 to get in the top six] good crowd behind us for the inverness game[3 pts] and bring on the accies :greengrin
ggtth

Sir David Gray
20-02-2011, 10:27 PM
If you're asking me if I think we will make the top six, I would still say no, even though we have just won three games in a row.

However, if the question is whether I would prefer to make the top six (and potentially not do very well) or stay in the bottom six (and maybe stay unbeaten in those post-split fixtures) then it's a no-brainer. We won't be relegated now, I am fairly confident of that.

I would love it if we did well enough in the next seven games to make the top six and I believe it's the absolute minimum that we should be aiming for each season.

Where we are at the moment is completely unacceptable but we are heading in the right direction.

I just personally think we have left it too late to mount any serious challenge on the top six.

matty_f
20-02-2011, 10:36 PM
Next three games are ICT (h), Hamilton (a), St Johnstone (a).

Big 'if' (because it would mean having 6 wins on the trot), we got three wins there then we actually put ourselves in with a great shout of getting top 6.

Thing is, if we look at each of those games in isolation, they're all winable. It's the old cliche about taking one game at a time but we've gone from a fairly desperate position to one where there is just that glimmer of hope that the season isn't completely written off already.

A top 6 finish would, IMHO, mark a terrific achievement for Calderwood and the players, in the context of the depths from which we've come from.

On the grand scheme of things, though - top 6 is the absolute minimum that we should be achieving. We should never have gotten so bad.

Speedy
20-02-2011, 10:41 PM
I don't think we will make the top 6. We are 8 points behind Inverness and a win over them would put us 5 points behind but Dundee Utd are 4 points ahead of us with 4 games in hand. St Johnstone are 4 points ahead with 2 games in hand. I can't see us catching all of them.

I would prefer us to finish in the top 6 though.

hfc rd
20-02-2011, 10:56 PM
I would love to see us finish in the top six but we need to keep up this good and consistent run of form. We need to make sure that when the teams above us drop points then we are there to take full advantage of it. I think only three teams have guranteed their top six status and that being Celtic, Rangers and Hearts. Kilmarnock, Inverness, Motherwell, Dundee United and St Johnstone haven't done so and are still competing and few a few good results for us and those five teams slipping up then we do have a chance but it is an outside chance of us making the top six but it is possible.

Sir David Gray
20-02-2011, 11:26 PM
I don't think we will make the top 6. We are 8 points behind Inverness and a win over them would put us 5 points behind but Dundee Utd are 4 points ahead of us with 4 games in hand. St Johnstone are 4 points ahead with 2 games in hand. I can't see us catching all of them.

I would prefer us to finish in the top 6 though.

Dundee Utd have to play eight league games in 25 days, starting with St Johnstone on Tuesday, and they also have a Scottish Cup match to play in amongst all that.

That schedule would test even a squad of Manchester Utd's depth so Dundee Utd could be catchable if the strain of playing so many matches starts to take its toll.

I know it's all a lot of ifs and maybes but if we can beat Inverness next week and get the gap between us and them down to five points and if Dundee Utd do start to struggle then a top six spot could be on.

It's still a real long shot though and we're not favourites by any stretch of the imagination.

Franck Stanton
20-02-2011, 11:41 PM
Right, I've already got ma tin hat on so here goes. Top 6 ? This season - nah. Now I know mathematically it is possible but think about it lads, football is all about confidence [ wi' a wee bit skill thrown in ] and if you look at our results, say over last 5/6 years in top six we appear to be the whipping boys do we not ? So any momentum we may have picked up may just evaporate should we sneak 6th place. And what advantages would we get ? Okay slight bragging rights over the bottom 6 - big deal. Disadvantages - The yaks would get a full house for 4th derby, [ bugger helping their financial plight], possibly beat 5 out of five and the doom and despondency returning, and realastically no hope of finishing higher than 6th anyway. IMO not making 6th at split, playing bottom 6 teams, hopefully winning more games [ habit forming] and ending up with more points in 7th than team in 6th giving us a wee lift for start of next season. Lets face it, we wrote this season off quite some time ago, lets continue with the recent good work and get confidence up for next year.

Removed
20-02-2011, 11:43 PM
Right, I've already got ma tin hat on so here goes. Top 6 ? This season - nah. Now I know mathematically it is possible but think about it lads, football is all about confidence [ wi' a wee bit skill thrown in ] and if you look at our results, say over last 5/6 years in top six we appear to be the whipping boys do we not ? So any momentum we may have picked up may just evaporate should we sneak 6th place. And what advantages would we get ? Okay slight bragging rights over the bottom 6 - big deal. Disadvantages - The yaks would get a full house for 4th derby, [ bugger helping their financial plight], possibly beat 5 out of five and the doom and despondency returning, and realastically no hope of finishing higher than 6th anyway. IMO not making 6th at split, playing bottom 6 teams, hopefully winning more games [ habit forming] and ending up with more points in 7th than team in 6th giving us a wee lift for start of next season. Lets face it, we wrote this season off quite some time ago, lets continue with the recent good work and get confidence up for next year.

Not that daft a post as some might think. Some folk want less games against the big teams so they'll be happy and you never know crowds might even rise :wink: