PDA

View Full Version : Donaire vs Monteil

Dashing Bob S
19-02-2011, 06:24 PM
In Vegas for this fight and looking forward to it. Classic case of the seasoned, durable fighter against the rising star. I'm thinking Donaire will step out of Pacmans shadows tonight and the Philipino Flash will be too fast of hand and fleet of foot for the veteran Mexican.

Monteil has been a bit of a comeback king though, and seems to be able to alter his style to fit his opponent and has been in with much harder men than Donaire has. Big test for the younger chap but he's got the goods so I'm sticking with that choice.

DaveF
19-02-2011, 07:10 PM
In Vegas? Good for you Bob.

I'm in the house watching the Southern Area Heavyweight bout between a flabby white bloke and black guy build like the side of a house.

This shouldn't take long!

DaveF
19-02-2011, 07:12 PM
Ha, 1 minute into the fight and flabby white bloke knocks him out :greengrin

What do I know!

Dashing Bob S
19-02-2011, 08:21 PM
Ha, 1 minute into the fight and flabby white bloke knocks him out :greengrin

What do I know!

Fabulous!

I'm off to lose some money on the tables and bodyswerve the painted ladies.

Marabou Stork
19-02-2011, 08:48 PM
Yes I'd probably be inclined to agree with you Bob. Donaire to win by a late ko.

Hibbie_Cameron
19-02-2011, 10:27 PM

I'm in the house watching the Southern Area Heavyweight bout between a flabby white bloke and black guy build like the side of a house.

I said the very same to my brothers:faf:

Pretty Boy
19-02-2011, 11:39 PM

'Flabby white bloke' wasnt 'BIG' John McDermott by any chance was it? If it was he's a very good domestic level fighter and far fitter than he looks, usually works very hard on the inside and but for a few dodgy decisions, most notably against Danny Williams and Tyson Fury, would be in real contention at British and Commonwealth level. I agree he looks like he wouldn't last a round though.

As for Donaire v Montell, i fancy Donaire inside the distance, tough fight though.

DaveF
20-02-2011, 08:55 AM
'Flabby white bloke' wasnt 'BIG' John McDermott by any chance was it? If it was he's a very good domestic level fighter and far fitter than he looks, usually works very hard on the inside and but for a few dodgy decisions, most notably against Danny Williams and Tyson Fury, would be in real contention at British and Commonwealth level. I agree he looks like he wouldn't last a round though.

As for Donaire v Montell, i fancy Donaire inside the distance, tough fight though.

It was. He made me look like a supreme athlete, though he can obviously punch a good bit harder than I can :greengrin

Dashing Bob S
20-02-2011, 02:36 PM
Didn't last long as Donaire stopped him in the second with an amazing hook - the sort of shot from which there can be no comebacks - if you get a chance watch it. A brutal punch which he'd left himself open for by firing a similar, less effective hook. Right over the top of him. I felt it a few rows from ringside, was checking my own teeth were still in my head.

Pretty Boy
22-02-2011, 02:46 PM
For anyone who may be interested Junior Witter lost a UD over 10 rounds in Canada at the weekend and looks almost certain to announce his retirement.

Always had a real dislike for Witter for a couple of reasons. First of all his style was far from fan friendly, he was often tedious to watch and very, very awkward. Secondly he showed great disrespect to more than one opponent by talking about his next fight and not concentrating on the job in hand, against Zab Judah and Timothy Bradley he was mouthing off about how he would win then beat Ricky Hatton -he lost both fights- he then mouthed off about beating Amir Khan before his fight with Devon Alexander - he lost again. A decent career and held the WBC light welterweight strap but far from one of the great British fighter IMO.

Also the Saul Alvarez v Matthew Hatton fight has been confirmed as being for the WBC light middle/super welter title. Strange decison IMO as neither fighter has been above 147lbs before. Then again the last holder of the belt, Manny Pacquaio won it at a catchweight of 150lbs so it appears the WBC aren't fussy about weight divisions and would rather have a 'name' hold their title, they will be praying Alvarez wins as he is seen as a real up and coming star and, in fairness, he is a real talent.