PDA

View Full Version : Fair play to england

bingo70
19-02-2011, 12:22 PM
Not every day you'll hear me say that (must still be reakin) but watching football focus just now and see that England players give all there match appearance fee to charity, Lampard saying that getting paid for playing for your country goes against the ethos of international football as it's meant to be an honour to play for your country and not something you should get paid for and he's absolutely spot on.

Not sure how much Scotland players get paid but this is something they should definately be following, although i'm not enitirely sure if they do get paid for playing or if it's a bonus they get if they ever qualify

Mon Dieu4
19-02-2011, 12:28 PM
Fair play to Hitler he banned smoking on public transport too :agree:

Easy to give up your fee when your wages are in excess of 100k a week, the cynic in me will think it's some kind of tax dodge with charitable donations

Scouse Hibee
19-02-2011, 12:30 PM
Fair play to Hitler he banned smoking on public transport too :agree:

Easy to give up your fee when your wages are in excess of 100k a week, the cynic in me will think it's some kind of tax dodge with charitable donations

Right on cue...............always at least one!

bingo70
19-02-2011, 12:34 PM

TBH i'm normally that one but on this occasion i think you've got to hold your hands up and say fair play to the england players, might be easy to give up the fee but doesn't mean they'd have to.

Still hope you get pumped in every game though :greengrin

Mon Dieu4
19-02-2011, 12:34 PM

Why thank you :)

Any one want to raise on one :faf:

down-the-slope
19-02-2011, 12:38 PM
its a good gesture...with players paid so much by clubs they don't need the international money (in the past it was other way round).....it also means you will really only get the players who want to play for their country turning out...it will get fans back on their side after the shocker they had at WC

Scouse Hibee
19-02-2011, 12:42 PM
Why thank you :)

Any one want to raise on one :faf:

:greengrin :tin hat:

iwasthere1972
19-02-2011, 12:45 PM
its a good gesture...with players paid so much by clubs they don't need the international money (in the past it was other way round).....it also means you will really only get the players who want to play for their country turning out...it will get fans back on their side after the shocker they had at WC

Without knowing what their match appearance fee is it's difficult to have much of an opinion on it. For all we know the fee could be loose change compared to what they earn week in week out with their clubs.

They could of course insist that they also pay for all those free tickets that they receive for family and friends if they haven't already done so. :agree:

Opinions will be split on this I feel.

Billy Whizz
19-02-2011, 12:47 PM
Do they keep their bonus money?

Keith_M
19-02-2011, 05:30 PM
I'll make a pledge on here: As soon as I start earning over 50 grand a week, I'll start donating every fourth weeks wage to charity.

Am I generous or what!

:greengrin

Hibee Daz
19-02-2011, 05:51 PM
I'll make a pledge on here: As soon as I start earning over 50 grand a week, I'll start donating every fourth weeks wage to charity.

Am I generous or what!

:greengrin

Exactly, they're only being generous because they can afford too be and not because they actually have hearts of gold. Then again maybe they do have hearts of gold hidden in their safes somewhere on their 500 acre estates.:hmmm:

Hibercelona
19-02-2011, 06:04 PM
I stuck 10 pence in a charity box on my way out the shop.

Fair play to me.

:devil:

Frazerbob
19-02-2011, 06:28 PM
I'm sure the Scotland squad agreed to only being paid their appearance money if they qualify for the finals of which ever tournamemt they are trying to get to. Not sure what happens to the cash when they fail to qualify but there must be a fair few bob in that bacnk account by now.

When you think that there will be some younger players in the Scotland squad who will earn a few hundred quid a week, I recon that is a far bigger gesture than the multi millionares giving up their small fees.

HIBERNIAN-0762
19-02-2011, 08:42 PM
Not every day you'll hear me say that (must still be reakin) but watching football focus just now and see that England players give all there match appearance fee to charity, Lampard saying that getting paid for playing for your country goes against the ethos of international football as it's meant to be an honour to play for your country and not something you should get paid for and he's absolutely spot on.

Not sure how much Scotland players get paid but this is something they should definately be following, although i'm not enitirely sure if they do get paid for playing or if it's a bonus they get if they ever qualify

I personally couldn't give a toss what these billy bigtimers do to be honest, of no interest to me what so ever

:shhhsh!:

BEEJ
20-02-2011, 12:14 PM
Players on international duty will still be paid by their clubs their basic wage for that week. No appearance or win bonuses, of course, but they'll still receive their basic wage.

Decent of the English players to give international fees to charity but they're still earning in those weeks.

PeeJay
20-02-2011, 12:28 PM

In principle a good idea BUT how much tax do the English players actually pay in the UK, I wonder? If they pay very little, because of off-shore accounts and all the "legal" tax options available to them, then a gesture such as this has to be seen in a different light surely? Ethos - pull the other one Lampard!