PDA

View Full Version : Who was Hibs best Goal Keeper Ever?

spike220
19-02-2011, 04:04 AM
I was having a discussion with a mate of mine, we thought it had to be Jim Leighton, but can any one think of any others that are worth a mention?

MrHibs1982
19-02-2011, 04:30 AM
I certainly think he's best I have seen. I did see Goram a couple of times but was very young and most people who are a little older than me say he was just good at hibs before being great over the at the dark side!! IIRC Colgan was cracking for 1-2 seasons, really liked him for a while!

Steve20
19-02-2011, 04:46 AM
Goram is the best keeper I have seen. Far better than Leighton, IMO.

ChilliEater
19-02-2011, 04:47 AM
Trying to think who I've seen. McArthur, McDonald, Rough, Goram, Reid, Burridge, Leighton, Ollie, Colgan, Caig, Andersson, Brown, Zibbi, Maka, Stack, Smith, Brown. Missed out some for lack of games, probably forgotten 1 or 2.

The 3 in bold stand head and shoulders above the rest IMHO. For me Goram tops the lot.

smurf
19-02-2011, 05:32 AM
Has to be Goram.

Was IMHO without question the best but he's not my favourite.

cocopops1875
19-02-2011, 08:49 AM
I'd go for leighton at Hibs no doubt goram ended up being a better keeper some would say Europes best. But I think we got the best of big Jim saved us a huge amount of points, still felt he let himself down leaving us as I thought he owed us but guess the package on offer and the pull of going home was too much

Bostonhibby
19-02-2011, 09:01 AM
My old man always said Younger was the best he'd seen but whilst it was an indian summer for him I thought that for outstanding keeping in the time he was with us, Jim Leighton. Then Alan Rough.

MontrealHibs
19-02-2011, 09:01 AM
It was Alan Rough back in the early 80's when my Dad first took me to Easter Road. Jim Leighton was certainly the best in Hibs colours.

I would go as far as to say that Budgie was better for Hibs than Goram was.

I go for:

1. Leighton 2. Burridge 3. Goram 4. Andersson 5. Colgan

stevenhibs
19-02-2011, 09:03 AM
Goram, Leighton or Andersen for me.

macca70
19-02-2011, 09:07 AM
Defo has to be Goram.

Remember the time when he was playing against us for Rangers, some numpty ran onto the pitch from the hibs end and attacked him.

Remember Goram was on top of the guy and if he didn't hold himself back would probably have knocked 10 bells oot the guy.

Bostonhibby
19-02-2011, 09:16 AM
Defo has to be Goram.

Remember the time when he was playing against us for Rangers, some numpty ran onto the pitch from the hibs end and attacked him.

Remember Goram was on top of the guy and if he didn't hold himself back would probably have knocked 10 bells oot the guy.

:greengrin If paggering is a factor then the outright winner is Stack

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXxChycLh3k

matty_f
19-02-2011, 09:20 AM
Goram is the best keeper I've seen play for Hibs. Some of the saves he used to pull off were unbelievably good.

PaulSmith
19-02-2011, 09:23 AM
Andy Goram for me, absolutely world class goalkeeper and twice the keeper that Craig Gordon is. If he had his head screwed on then he would've been recognised as one of the best ever.

I can still see his save in Liege to this day but I believe there was another one from Crabbe at Tynecastle which was even better in a 3-1 loss where Torto scored for us.

The Falcon
19-02-2011, 09:23 AM
Tommy Younger or Ronnie Simpson for me.

bingo70
19-02-2011, 09:37 AM
Was too young to appreciate Goram so best i've seen was Jim Leighton, although the pass back rule coming in certainly didn't help him, if that is the reason CC doesn't like Brown then Leighton wouldnt have lasted 2 minutes with him as gaffer

Wheat Hound
19-02-2011, 09:41 AM
Goram was best, though I liked Szamatulski (sp?).

H18sry
19-02-2011, 09:44 AM
Poll here http://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?204760-Who-has-been-Hibs-best-goalkeeper feel free to vote

blackpoolhibs
19-02-2011, 09:51 AM
Goram for me.

Wilson
19-02-2011, 10:02 AM
Goram for me.

Leighton. Easily.

cad
19-02-2011, 10:06 AM
Goram IMO
Budgie is up there to

erin go bragh
19-02-2011, 10:12 AM
Andy Goram for me, absolutely world class goalkeeper and twice the keeper that Craig Gordon is. If he had his head screwed on then he would've been recognised as one of the best ever.

I can still see his save in Liege to this day but I believe there was another one from Crabbe at Tynecastle which was even better in a 3-1 loss where Torto scored for us.
i remember him making a save at tannadice[when the hibs fans were behind the other goals] utd player hit a shot,goram dived,then the shot took a deflection and how he managed to twist his body and make the save ill never no [ we won 2 1 i think] best keeper ive seen at hibs by a country mile.[ i remember going down to walsaw for a pre season freindly and hit our first boozer , as we were all standing at the bar we heard someone singing hibs songs in pool bit of the pub, as we went through to get a game ,the person singing the hibs songs was andy goram !
no playing the day andy we asked him[we already knew the answer as he were drunker than us ] am i **** he replied im being a fan the day [ unprofesional i no but what a scream we had ] the walsaw reserve keeper played in goals for us and we still won 3 1 :greengrin

hibsfan7
19-02-2011, 12:00 PM
i think the best hibs goalkeeper i have ever seen is andy goram i still remember the save he had in the cup at tannadice on the same day scotland won the grand slam in 1990

7Hero
19-02-2011, 12:06 PM
budgie, just for what he said to the huns in the tunnel prior to the semifinal in 91

legend !

Pretty Boy
19-02-2011, 12:17 PM
Whilst i'd say Goram was the better keeper overall i think he was still young and learning his trade at Hibs. He really excelled and became truly world class at the huns. Thats not to say he wasn't very good for Hibs, he was.

Leighton came to us as a washed up has been who could barely get a game for a 1st division reserve side. He was outstanding for us. Was a major factor in the decent seasons we had in the early-mid 90s (3rd place finish, League Cup final etc) and in his later seasons he almost single handedly kept us up in a couple of bad seasons, was easily worth 12-15 points a seasn minimum. I don't believe it's any coincedence we were relegated the season after Jim left us, the goalkeeping delights of Gottskalkson and Gunn till give me nightmares.

Goram was the better keeper but i think Leighton was the better Hibs keeper if that makes sense.

Also Goram was one of these guys in the Nacho Novo style who despite having no obvious connection with Rangers embraced hunnery just a bit too enthusiastically, black armband for a dead UVF terrorist anyone? Fud of a man.

KeithTheHibby
19-02-2011, 12:33 PM
Goram stood out in a very poor Hibs team however was an outstanding keeper.

Leighton was also excellent for Hibs and his time at ER was a real success story considering the crap he had to endure at Dundee.

In saying that I am going to go for Zibi.:wink:

Killiehibbie
19-02-2011, 02:05 PM
Mike McDonald or maybe Goram.

7 Hills
19-02-2011, 02:14 PM
We've had some great keepers at Hibs during my lifetime. Rough, Leighton, Burridge and Goram just to mention my favourites. Daniel Andersson was also a good keeper for us during Bobby Williamson's time. For me, Goram was the best keeper I've seen (so far). But Budgie is my favourite! The Keeper from The Team That Wouldn't Die and Skol Cup Winner! Braw! :aok:

Spudster
19-02-2011, 02:18 PM
The Flying Pig. Greatest of all time IMO

Jim_in_Canada
19-02-2011, 02:27 PM
As an old timer, I think for me it is Ronnie Simpson.

The guy was amazing, especially when it came to saving penalties.

Jim

sleeping giant
19-02-2011, 02:31 PM
The two best goalkeepers i have seen playing for Hibs were Andy Goram and Andy Goram:greengrin

1950's hibbie
19-02-2011, 02:44 PM
Tommy Younger for me, started as a boy and went on for a long time. Ronnie Simpson was good, but Tommy had the team connection and loyalty.:flag:

Bostonhibby
19-02-2011, 02:48 PM
The two best goalkeepers i have seen playing for Hibs were Andy Goram and Andy Goram:greengrin

There's only two Andy Goram's :agree:

KiddA
19-02-2011, 03:45 PM
I was having a discussion with a mate of mine, we thought it had to be Jim Leighton, but can any one think of any others that are worth a mention?

It has to be Goram he was electric when he was at Hibs :agree:

weecounty hibby
19-02-2011, 06:34 PM
Have seen some pretty good ones from McDonald and Mcarthur onwards but I think that some of Gorams saves were unbelievable. Hard to believe we could go from Rough,Goram, Leighton to Zibi, Brown, McNeil, Maka etc

ancient hibee
19-02-2011, 07:23 PM
Goram

Leslie

Younger

--------
19-02-2011, 07:31 PM
Whilst i'd say Goram was the better keeper overall i think he was still young and learning his trade at Hibs. He really excelled and became truly world class at the huns. Thats not to say he wasn't very good for Hibs, he was.

Leighton came to us as a washed up has been who could barely get a game for a 1st division reserve side. He was outstanding for us. Was a major factor in the decent seasons we had in the early-mid 90s (3rd place finish, League Cup final etc) and in his later seasons he almost single handedly kept us up in a couple of bad seasons, was easily worth 12-15 points a seasn minimum. I don't believe it's any coincedence we were relegated the season after Jim left us, the goalkeeping delights of Gottskalkson and Gunn till give me nightmares.

Goram was the better keeper but i think Leighton was the better Hibs keeper if that makes sense.

Also Goram was one of these guys in the Nacho Novo style who despite having no obvious connection with Rangers embraced hunnery just a bit too enthusiastically, black armband for a dead UVF terrorist anyone? Fud of a man.

Perfect sense.

Leighton came to us when we lost Budgie, and at first I have to say I was very doubtful about him. Then he saved those penalties at Firhill in the League Cup, and I began to realise that wee Alex M knew what he was doing.

Then we played Dundee United at Tynie; 1-0 up with a few minutes to go and they were pressing hard. The ball came into the penalty area, broke out to a United player around the penalty spot, who hit it really hard, low at Leighton's ankles. Leighton dropped and held the ball faultlessly - no rebound, no second chance, just a perfect (and very difficult) save.

Goram was a better keeper than Leighton when once he came to maturity; Leighton was awesome for Hibs over a much longer period.

Purple & Green
19-02-2011, 10:09 PM
If Goram wasn't such an utterly reviled personality I think he would be everyone's vote that had ever seen Hibs teams post 1970. Before that? There's a good few candidates.

Badge
19-02-2011, 10:11 PM
I'm 57 and there is no doubt that Andy Goram is by far the best goalie I've seen playing for the Cabbage.

Badge
19-02-2011, 10:16 PM
Can't get the names up again but was Thomson Allan on the list? He wisnae a bad keeper.

Franck Stanton
19-02-2011, 10:18 PM
Has to be Goram.

Was IMHO without question the best but he's not my favourite.

Yup, agree with you there smurf, definately the best but sold his soul to the dark side and bought into all that uda crap.

Horse
19-02-2011, 11:20 PM
Goram is the best I've seen. Also the only keeper I've ever seen score a goal. My favourite keeper is Budgie, not the best but the most dedicated and legendary for the league cup win in 91 after Goram had sold his soul to the blue half of sectarianism incorporated. Will never forget his lap of honour after every game, win, lose or draw.

Forza Fred
19-02-2011, 11:34 PM
As an old timer, I think for me it is Ronnie Simpson.

The guy was amazing, especially when it came to saving penalties.

Jim

100% agree.

He saved us from relegation one year - him stopping them and Gerry Baker scoring them.

AFKA5814_Hibs
20-02-2011, 12:00 AM
The display in the 1-3 defeat to the Yams at Tynecastle was without doubt the best goalkeeping display I've ever seen in the flesh. Forget Niemi in the 6-2 game, we could have lost 10 that day if it wasn't for Goram. He was a ****in genius. :agree:

CalgaryHibs
20-02-2011, 03:56 AM
Jim Leighton and close second Andy Goram:aok:

Septimus
20-02-2011, 06:58 AM
Hmmm. Kerr, Younger, Rough, Leighton, Goram, Simpson were all class goalkeepers but of them my personal favourite was Younger.

BroxburnHibee
20-02-2011, 08:16 AM
Impossible question to answer.

Best Hibs goalie I've ever seen - Andy Goram by a mile.