PDA

View Full Version : Question The things you miss most at Easter Road

iwasthere1972
18-02-2011, 10:15 PM
European nights as a young boy watching Stanton and co. going head to head with the best of English and European clubs in front of crowds of between 30,000-40,000. Followed up by a fish and chips at Albert Street chippie.

We'll never see the likes again and no chance of laying my hands on a DeLorean either. :boo hoo:

:flag: :flag: :flag:

Ritchie
18-02-2011, 10:17 PM
Players like latapy, Sauzee and zitelli.

The east terracing

Saorsa
18-02-2011, 10:21 PM
Being in the big sways in the auld east terrace before there were any seats in it and atmospheres like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvdesakrwn0

stick yer seats where the sun disnae shine :agree:

al bundy
18-02-2011, 10:21 PM
Latapy and standing in the terracing

Iggy Pope
18-02-2011, 10:27 PM
Half-time Scoreboard

blairwallace
18-02-2011, 10:31 PM
food before the stupidly high price rise

Wembley67
18-02-2011, 10:35 PM
Lost friends.

itchy07
18-02-2011, 10:38 PM
Standing. It's never quite been the same since and a shame that my boys won't know what it was like.:agree:

MGmick
18-02-2011, 10:40 PM
Lost friends.

:agree:

And I'll raise you: lost childhood.

Iggy Pope
18-02-2011, 10:42 PM

And I'll raise you: lost childhood.

See you again: Lost Hibs tammy. Arbroath cup replay, Dunbar End 1977.

iwasthere1972
18-02-2011, 10:44 PM

I'll see you. Lost ma way home. First Division match. Firhill Stadium circa 1972

Gala Foxes
18-02-2011, 10:45 PM
standing under the TV stand at the top of the old terracing, right beside the away fans in the pissing rain on a Wednesday night

best memory, league cup quarter final 2nd leg 1978 versus Morton - Isak Refvik

Removed
18-02-2011, 10:48 PM
Being able to change ends at half time

The boy walking round the track selling sweets and juice during the game

The proper half time entertainment

Decent music

Getting lifted over

The view from the steps at the top of the terracing

James70
18-02-2011, 11:04 PM
Playing down the slope in the 2nd half.:agree:

Haggis Hibby
18-02-2011, 11:04 PM
:greengrin The banging of the numbers boards to attract the refs attention for a sub.... nowt quite like that sound

Gala Foxes
18-02-2011, 11:05 PM
Being able to change ends at half time

The boy walking round the track selling sweets and juice during the game

The proper half time entertainment

Decent music

Getting lifted over

The view from the steps at the top of the terracing

half time entertainment - better than that muppet of a PA announcer we have to endure now at Easter Road

One Day Soon
18-02-2011, 11:08 PM
So many.

Franck Sauzee

matty_f
18-02-2011, 11:14 PM
So many.

Franck Sauzee

Sauzee, definitely. A decent pie as well.

And as bad as this is, the 'colourful' songs in the East, too.

hfc rd
18-02-2011, 11:15 PM
European Nights - I absolutely love European nights at Easter Road. I have only been to three Hibs european games and those are AEK Athens, FC Dnipro & Maribor. The best game out of the three of them is without a doubt the AEK Athens game. I remember so much from that game especially the tremendous athmospere. The whole stadium was bouncing and it was definitely one of the best ever games I had been to athmosphere wise at Easter Road. The pandemoniuom (I think thats how you spell it) in the stands that night is something I will treasure for the rest of my life. The Dnipro game was alright but the Maribor game?? The least said about that the better. But none of those two games come anywhere near close to the AEK Athens one!!!
Sauzee & Latapy - Two players that filled me with excitement everytime I heard their name being read out by the announcer during the very early part of my life as a Hibee. Whenever they had the ball, the whole stadium would stand on their feet with excitement knowing that something good was just about to happen. Also purchased two massive potraits from the Extra Time Memoribilla ( I think that's how you spell it) shop in Ocean Terminal. One of them showing Sauzee rushing back to celebrate with the Hibs fans after scoring the 2nd in the Millenium derby at Tynecastle and the second picture showing Russel Latapy's stunner agaisnt the yams at the 6-2 derby. When I look at those two pictures in my bedroom it just sends goosebumps down me as those two matches were my first ever home and away game to attend as a Hibs fan. What a night those two were and it was an absolute privellage to witness two superstars in Latapy and Sauzee during my early time as a Hibs fan!!!

MGmick
19-02-2011, 12:02 AM

Not bad, but I'll counter with: Lost autograph book Hibs v Malmo, Dunbar End 1970.

And

HTF did they ever make the European Cup final and we never?

hibby07
19-02-2011, 02:25 AM
The North enclosure the banter was sometimes better than the fitba.

seanraff07
19-02-2011, 02:37 AM
East Terracine... too young to have been in it for years but had been in it about 10 times the last 2 or 3 years and i loved it.

hibbycha
19-02-2011, 04:29 AM
being ballboy v swansea meeting dai davies , playing footie wi alan rough in hibs gym, listening to jim mclean rant and rave at dutd players in the old west, standing in the old dunbar end telling ally mcleod to score a pen in reserve game:thumbsup:

Golden Bear
19-02-2011, 07:40 AM
macccaaaaaarrrooonnnn bars!

Jack
19-02-2011, 07:54 AM
I was talking to an auld timer in the pub last night.
He was telling me about the half time sheep dog trials and of folk having races round the pitch!

Golden Bear
19-02-2011, 07:57 AM
He was telling me about the half time sheep dog trials and of folk having races round the pitch!

Aye the home games against Aberdeen were something to behold.

greenginger
19-02-2011, 08:30 AM
I loved the huge open terracings in the 60's, you could move about and change ends at half time, but mostly I miss being a TEENAGER ! :greengrin

HIBERNIAN-0762
19-02-2011, 08:40 AM
Both the auld wooden north stand where on Euro nights the atmosphere was incredible and the east terracing standing where you could jump up and doon to keep warm without some erse of a steward telling you to sit doon and keep quiet.

Reserve games.

Euro nights.

The banter.

The half bottle in the tail at new year.

IFONLY
19-02-2011, 09:51 AM

Aye remember them, 2 got found guilty and the other one was put on probation.

fiolex1
19-02-2011, 09:56 AM
Curry pies in the east! going down the slope in the second half.

PeeJay
19-02-2011, 01:32 PM
European nights as a young boy watching Stanton and co. going head to head with the best of English and European clubs in front of crowds of between 30,000-40,000. Followed up by a fish and chips at Albert Street chippie.

We'll never see the likes again and no chance of laying my hands on a DeLorean either. :boo hoo:

:flag: :flag: :flag:

Spot on - still remember the tremendous thrill in those huge crowds on that massive terrace watching Hibs taking the game to some mighty teams like Liverpool and Leeds, - and, was that Naples game really so long ago?:confused:

Will we ever get back to being a threat in Europe?

Is there not a DeLorean bus out there somewhere so we could take a few of the younger fans back to let them see just how good it really was...:greengrin

sleeping giant
19-02-2011, 01:35 PM
I miss the macaroon bars. The white ones :agree:
Also miss the wee pontoon cards from the Hibs club.

iwasthere1972
19-02-2011, 01:35 PM
Spot on - still remember the tremendous thrill in those huge crowds on that massive terrace watching Hibs taking the game to some mighty teams like Liverpool and Leeds, - and, was that Naples game really so long ago?:confused:

Will we ever get back to being a threat in Europe?

Is there not a DeLorean bus out there somewhere so we could take a few of the younger fans back to let them see just how good it really was...:greengrin

If there was a bus I would program it to "Dens Park 1986" before going back further in time.

Alfred E Newman
19-02-2011, 02:06 PM
Standing at the corner and running down the terracing to hurl abuse at the linesman .
Taking a cairry oot.
Fag smoke billowing out the ground against the floodlights.
Games kicking off at 3 o`clock and finishing at 4-40.

iwasthere1972
19-02-2011, 02:13 PM
I remember being at ER sometime in the late 60's. My mate always took a flask of tea with him. On this particular occasion the mighty Hibees scored resulting in my mate celebrating and his flask duly dropping out of his coat pocket and smashing. :greengrin

Imagine trying to get a flask into Easter Road nowadays.

Keith_M
19-02-2011, 02:20 PM
I'll see you. Lost ma way home. First Division match. Firhill Stadium circa 1972

I'll see you... lost bladder control. Ah the joys of old age :wink:

I do miss terracing at football, but that's about it.

I'll tell you what I don't miss. Uncovered terracing and the, ahem, toilets.

The terracing toilets were basically a four sided wall with a door and no roof where you p*ssed on the floor. It was a lake of p*ss after a very short time.

The smell from the toilets in the Main Stand would have been enough for Dubya Bush to invade ER on suspicion of Hibs' WMD, chemical warfare capabilities.

iwasthere1972
19-02-2011, 02:22 PM
I'll see you... lost bladder control. Ah the joys of old age :wink:

I do miss terracing at football, but that's about it.

I'll tell you what I don't miss. Uncovered terracing and the, ahem, toilets.

The terracing toilets were basically a four sided wall with a door and no roof where you p*ssed on the floor. It was a lake of p*ss after a very short time.

The smell from the toilets in the Main Stand would have been enough for Dubya Bush to invade ER on suspicion of Hibs' WMD, chemical warfare capabilities.

Me too. Tannadice circa 1973. :boo hoo:

TRC
19-02-2011, 02:40 PM
Sauzee:flag:

ginger_rice
19-02-2011, 04:59 PM
Chatting up the golden goal girls after watching the strippers in the Clan Tavern

Kyle A
19-02-2011, 05:14 PM
Being wee enough to get a push through the turnstiles

weecounty hibby
19-02-2011, 05:19 PM
Standing beside your mates as walk up fans instead of having two beside you, one a row back and to the side a bit, another couple of rows in front and two or three seats to the side and even more not anywhere close to you.

brianmc
19-02-2011, 05:39 PM
Quality fitba ...

Oh,and the east terrace :-(

Reaper
19-02-2011, 05:45 PM
Big Crowds and most of all Franck Sauzee (i fear I'll never see another like him)

Hibernia Na Eir
19-02-2011, 05:46 PM
in no particular order:-

glue sniffing (not me)

vodka swigging (not me)

eyeballing the enemy at the segregation

rebel tunes (always wound the Huns up)

GGTTH song when the team ran out

the electronic scoreboard (that never worked)

Cowshed

...the list is endless!!!

Feed McGraw
19-02-2011, 06:03 PM
My Dad took me to my first game in 1964 when I was 8 y.o. I remember looking in awe at the huge terracing and the red painted crush barriers.

A miss ma Dad.

Moulin Yarns
19-02-2011, 06:08 PM
definately European nights under the tv gantry (scaffolding) at the top of the old east terracing.

Standing with your mates even if they supported the other lot.

changing ends

bottles flying when the old firm were in town

scores like Hibs 6 Sporting Lisbon 1 and Hibs 9 Rosenburg 1 in Europe

losing in Europe to the winners of the cups (Valencia, Leeds and Liverpool)

Arthur Duncan flying down the wing

billbee
19-02-2011, 06:11 PM
Sneaking In - Climbing up the big hill near the juice factory, meeting ma pals up the top o the swany,then making our way doon to the wee white wa, saw wee Pat Quinn putting big John Hughes (The Original Yogi) rigtht over it! ma pal took his boot!!

billbee
19-02-2011, 06:16 PM
OH - Behind the goals when Joe Davis taking a penalty! to many -

Frazerbob
19-02-2011, 06:20 PM
Some of my happiest times at ER were when I was a ball boy (1983-85ish). Constantly being asked "how long to go" by Roughie, collecting all the coins thrown by the Huns & Hearts fans at the Dunbar end (used to make about a tenner each!!) and just being around the changing rooms with your heroes was an amazing experience.

Playing football in the games room at the 50 Club with a knotted scarf whist my old man downed a few pints waiting on the Pink seller to come round.

The smell of baking bread coming from the Sunblest Bakery.

Also miss the sways in the old East.....was always a bit of a competition to see how far down you managed to get when we scored against Hearts.

Greentinted
19-02-2011, 06:28 PM
Substance over style off the pitch and style over substance on it!

fat freddy
19-02-2011, 07:12 PM
i miss the old guy that used to stand at the back of the shed down at the bottom of the slope...he would sing away to himself in a lovely baritone that could be heard in the graveyard...he looked like '8 Ace' out of the Viz and i suspect he might have drunk like him too....i've not seen or heard him since the new stand was put up but if i could find out where he sits now i might move into his 'sphere of influence' as he was usually more entertaining that the stuff that happened on the pitch.

madabouthibs
19-02-2011, 07:14 PM
The broken glass embedded in the concrete on the top of the wall behind the old cowshed. :greengrin
Stane fights on the East. :greengrin
That stupid F***ing scoreboard! :greengrin
Firing up there for midweek reserve games to be a ballboy for 50p and a pie! :greengrin
Going back at night to see if the ball that was botted up the cowshed roof was still there! :thumbsup:

Removed
19-02-2011, 07:14 PM
i miss the old guy that used to stand at the back of the shed down at the bottom of the slope...he would sing away to himself in a lovely baritone that could be heard in the graveyard...he looked like '8 Ace' out of the Viz and i suspect he might have drunk like him too....i've not seen or heard him since the new stand was put up but if i could find out where he sits now i might move into his 'sphere of influence' as he was usually more entertaining that the stuff that happened on the pitch.

Sounds like Mussy's dad :agree:

madabouthibs
19-02-2011, 07:15 PM
Oh, forgot.......

Paying £1.50 to get in! :confused:

fat freddy
19-02-2011, 08:24 PM
Sounds like Mussy's dad :agree:

where does he do his singing these days?

Removed
19-02-2011, 08:47 PM
where does he do his singing these days?

I would guess still the East. Over to MussyHibby though.

IberianHibernian
19-02-2011, 08:53 PM
Agree with comments about big European nights ( and big cup nights in general - nearly 30,000 against Falkirk and Dundee in 70s for example though I also remember many matches at Holy Ground with less than 6,000 in same decade ) , terracing ( though ours must have been one of the worst on wet days ) , changing ends at half time etc but what I really notice always is lack of buzz outside ground before matches including big ones . There are times I go to ER now and wonder if game has been postponed until I`m almost in ground - not sure why - smaller crowd, all seated stadium so fans turn up just before kick off, more fans travel by car etc. There`s a thread here comparing rugby to football - don`t know about rugby but at other sports ( American ones for example ) there seems to be more attempt to make game part of a day out - maybe we could do more before matches both inside and outside stadium .

reservoir hibee
19-02-2011, 10:19 PM
jst actually being there!! its been over 2 years for me now and as a previous season ticket holder i miss it loads as you can see here

http://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?204764-you-all-don-t-know-how-lucky-you-are!!!

Iggy Pope
19-02-2011, 10:22 PM
Oh, forgot.......

Paying £1.50 to get in! :confused:

And 5p or less for a programme.

iwasthere1972
19-02-2011, 10:33 PM
I would guess still the East. Over to MussyHibby though.

Haven't seen or heard the guy for yonks. Hope he's alright.

C'mon ma Bonnie Boys. :flag:

ginger_rice
20-02-2011, 03:13 PM
but what I really notice always is lack of buzz outside ground before matches including big ones . .

Aye you're right I never thought about that, the noise in Albion Road coming from the ground was immense when there was a big game.

banchoryhibs
20-02-2011, 03:36 PM
Watching the fights in the cow shed, sometimes better entertainment than the games:greengrin Segregation put an end to all that.

Having a can of beer or three when standing on the old terracing:cheers: Remember one New Years Day game when some bloke carried a suitcase full of bevvy in and shared it round:not worth.. happy days

Hal Jordan
20-02-2011, 03:45 PM
The view of the Salisbury Crags and Arthur's Seat over the Dunbar end.
Beautiful.

Seeing Franck in a Hibs shirt.

Standing.

hibsbollah
20-02-2011, 04:21 PM
The view of the Salisbury Crags and Arthur's Seat over the Dunbar end..

you can still get that view from the very top right corner of the new East stand. Its just like the old days but its not great for vertigo sufferers.

AFKA5814_Hibs
20-02-2011, 07:45 PM
Games against Hertz and the OF being played at 3pm on a Saturday.

--------
20-02-2011, 07:56 PM
The European nights, with a big crowd covering the main terrace.

Those, and midweek evening Cup replays under lights ...

... and the clouds of tobacco smoke and the smell of the tobacco.

Meeting my regular mates at our regular spot on the big terrace, and the talk and the joking with them and with the away fans.

Changing ends.

Pies, Bovril, and Snowballs and Macaroon Bars.

The old scaffolding scoreboard that took and age to fill up at half-time.

Pat Stanton, elegance personified.

The bods in the Main Stand stamping their feet and chanting "Gerrintaethum" when we were playing down the slope and roasting them.

The slope.

Top-class football? :rolleyes:

Topographic Hibby
20-02-2011, 09:09 PM
The old HT Score-Board-Hut-Thing (trying to work out whether A20 or B01 or C30 meant if Hearts were gettin beat or not..!!)

The stewards letting folk into the covered enclosure from the old East if it was raining..!!

Testimonials for guys who spent more than 3 years at the club (as an aside, should Riordan not be due one of these...??)

The slope

Pat Stanton in a green and white shirt.

Europe!!

Decent music over the tannoy

Looking down from the East at the pitch - what a site!!

Looking down from the East at the old main stand - what a deathtrap!!

Looking down from the East at the old main stand - can I see my old man in the old North Stand? He used to call it "The Wing Stand" for some reason.

...and I'll "+1" something that someone else mentioned, the smell of bread from the Sunblest factory. Living 5mins from the ground and going to school at Leithie (and my gran living on Lochend Road), I seemed to have this smell etched into my nostrils and brain.

This has been an entertaining thread and stirred some great memories for me - loadsa-kudos to the original poster.

HibbyAndy
20-02-2011, 09:31 PM
The old East Terracing.