PDA

View Full Version : SPL Split - One Rule or the "Old Firm", another for the rest of us ?

Gala Foxes
18-02-2011, 05:52 PM
Watching another Reporting Scotland hype up the Old Firm game slot I realised - every year they get two derbies at home & two away - guaranteed, no questions.

Hibs, and the other clubs, have to go to Tannadice 3 times, Fir Park 3 times etc etc

One rule for the SPLs favourites and another for everyone else

lyonhibs
18-02-2011, 06:07 PM
Watching another Reporting Scotland hype up the Old Firm game slot I realised - every year they get two derbies at home & two away - guaranteed, no questions.

Hibs, and the other clubs, have to go to Tannadice 3 times, Fir Park 3 times etc etc

One rule for the SPLs favourites and another for everyone else

That's a piss poor comparison - have we ever had to go to Tynecastle 3 times in one season in the league?. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the answer is no.

Rangers have - I think - had to go to Sheepieland 3 times before at least once, I'm sure Celtc have had to go to one away ground 3 times due to the split.

Geo_1875
18-02-2011, 06:09 PM
But it's the "computer" that works out the fixtures. It's just a coincidence that they work out that way.

James.
18-02-2011, 06:13 PM
But it's the "computer" that works out the fixtures. It's just a coincidence that they work out that way.

I thought fixtures were based on your finish from the previous season no? Eg. We finished last year in the top six and so our fixtures would even out if we finished there again, its only if you do better or worse than expected that there becomes an imbalance in the fixtures. As the Old Firm always end up where expected, their fixtures always balance out.

lyonhibs
18-02-2011, 06:13 PM

I'm pretty sure the "computer" can be v(and indeed is) "programmed" to ensure that both Edinburgh teams and the Ugly Sisters get 2 home derbies each :wink:

Leithenhibby
18-02-2011, 07:08 PM
I'm pretty sure the "computer" can be v(and indeed is) "programmed" to ensure that both Edinburgh teams and the Ugly Sisters get 2 home derbies each :wink:

I'm sure that we have gone to Tincastle 3 times in one season, when Didier Agathe played with us. Did he not score in a 1-1 draw?

"Programmes" are only as good as the "programmer" :wink:

Iggy Pope
18-02-2011, 08:06 PM
I'm sure that we have gone to Tincastle 3 times in one season, when Didier Agathe played with us. Did he not score in a 1-1 draw?

He did, it was 0 -0 though and I think it was 2-2 in fixtures.

Edit - think Mixu missed a penalty in the final game of the four.........

Sir David Gray
18-02-2011, 08:28 PM
Rangers and Celtic get the same problems as the rest of us when it comes to the shambolic post-split fixtures.

The split works perfectly (although I would still use that term loosely) if the same teams continue to be top six and bottom six but whenever there's a change in that, like there probably will be this year with us, every team has had to put up with going to a certain stadium three times in one season.

We actually had Rangers at home three times in one season, a couple of years ago.

The Old Firm and Edinburgh derbies are always split evenly at two home and two away when the clubs concerned finish in the same half of the table.

tamig
18-02-2011, 09:39 PM
The Old Firm and Edinburgh derbies are always split evenly at two home and two away when the clubs concerned finish in the same half of the table.

Well how could it possibly happen if they finished in opposite halves of the table :confused: Nothing like stating the obvious.

Gala Foxes
18-02-2011, 10:30 PM

aye right - every SPL season they get the perfect 2 home games - just the computer / pure chance ?

does anyone believe that?

Gala Foxes
18-02-2011, 10:32 PM
Well how could it possibly happen if they finished in opposite halves of the table :confused: Nothing like stating the obvious.

like any of us think that is ever going to happen

iwasthere1972
18-02-2011, 10:36 PM

He did, it was 0 -0 though and I think it was 2-2 in fixtures.

Edit - think Mixu missed a penalty in the final game of the four.........

:greengrin

AFKA5814_Hibs
18-02-2011, 10:39 PM
They will make sure that the derbies are always split 2/2, I don't see a problem with that, that includes our own derby assuming we are both in the same half.

Every team has to put up with going to a specific ground three times a season including the OF, it's one of the many issues with the split which can never be solved unless the top 6/bottom 6 is the same each year which never happens.

Gala Foxes
18-02-2011, 10:42 PM
They will make sure that the derbies are always split 2/2, I don't see a problem with that, that includes our own derby assuming we are both in the same half.

Every team has to put up with going to a specific ground three times a season including the OF, it's one of the many issues with the split which can never be solved unless the top 6/bottom 6 is the same each year which never happens.

can anyone name a season since the SPL started when Rangers have gone to Parkhead three times in the league & had one Old Firm game @ Ibrox or vice versa for Celtic?

AFKA5814_Hibs
18-02-2011, 10:45 PM
can anyone name a season since the SPL started when Rangers have gone to Parkhead three times in the league & had one Old Firm game @ Ibrox or vice versa for Celtic?

No, but there hasn't been a season when Hibs have went to Tynie three times or they've come to ER three times. Me thinks your barking up the wrong tree here.

iwasthere1972
18-02-2011, 10:46 PM

You can check here. I'm too busy getting my supper ready. :greengrin

http://www.soccerbase.com/teams/head_to_head.sd?team_id=512&team2_id=2104

Gala Foxes
18-02-2011, 10:48 PM
No, but there hasn't been a season when Hibs have went to Tynie three times or they've come to ER three times. Me thinks your barking up the wrong tree here.

fair comment - but do you not just get sick of the BBCs - 7 Old Firm games a season is too much nonsense? They love it and they are kidding themselves when they make claims to the contrary