PDA

View Full Version : NHC Football fan jailed for punching Stevenage player at FA Cup tie

H18sry
17-02-2011, 07:13 PM
http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/feb/17/football-stevenage-player-punch-supporter-jailed

A football fan who ran on to the pitch and punched a player has been jailed for 12 weeks.
Robert Fitzgerald, 24, was also banned from attending regulated football matches in England and Wales for six years after assaulting Stevenage defender Scott Laird.
Fitzgerald had previously admitted invading the pitch and punching Laird as fans celebrated the club's 3-1 win against Newcastle United in the FA Cup on 8 January.
The altercation, which was captured by TV cameras, occurred because the player had previously had a relationship with Fitzgerald's girlfriend and "not treated her correctly", Stevenage magistrates court was told.
His pregnant girlfriend, Jade Coles, wept as he was led away from the dock.
Sentencing him, the chair of the bench, Linda Nadauld said: "The offence was fuelled by alcohol, and it has become clear from the television evidence that you made a beeline for this particular player.
"We have also heard evidence that a steward noticed disorderly behaviour from you directed towards Mr Laird.
"The victim was in a vulnerable position as he was in the location to fulfil his duties as a professional football player. The attack was unprovoked and unexpected.
"The court must impose a deterrent sentence to stop this type of behaviour and conduct on a football field

Nowt like trying to get your own back in front of millions of witnesses :greengrin

Dinkydoo
18-02-2011, 01:13 PM
"The victim was in a vulnerable position as he was in the location to fulfil his duties as a professional football player. The attack was unprovoked and unexpected.
"The court must impose a deterrent sentence to stop this type of behaviour and conduct on a football field"

What annoys me about this is if someone ran up to and punched a 'trolly dolly' in Morrisons then I very much doubt that the man (or woman) would get a jail sentence - probably community service or a fine.

Are they not still in a "vulnerable position as he was in the location to fulfil his duties" :rolleyes:

But the fact that this happend on a football field to a football player means that "the court must impose a deterrent sentence".

There is perhaps an aspect of this case that I'm unaware about but 12 weeks in jail with a pregnant girlfriend on the outside is a bit harsh imo, especially for a one punch assault that presumably lead to no serious injury.

Sir David Gray
18-02-2011, 01:24 PM
"The court must impose a deterrent sentence to stop this type of behaviour and conduct on a football field"

What annoys me about this is if someone ran up to and punched a 'trolly dolly' in Morrisons then I very much doubt that the man (or woman) would get a jail sentence - probably community service or a fine.

Are they not still in a "vulnerable position as he was in the location to fulfil his duties" :rolleyes:

But the fact that this happend on a football field to a football player means that "the court must impose a deterrent sentence".

There is perhaps an aspect of this case that I'm unaware about but 12 weeks in jail with a pregnant girlfriend on the outside is a bit harsh imo, especially for a one punch assault that presumably lead to no serious injury.

I think his previous conviction for GBH, for which he was sentenced to 6 1/2 years in prison, might have been taken into consideration and contributed to him getting some "special treatment" this time around.

truehibernian
18-02-2011, 01:26 PM

True to an extent mate, but judges are as inconsistent as Scottish ref's IMHO. They probably go to the same courses at Largs :greengrin

Britain is far too wishy washy, far too wrapped up in Human Rights legislation, and give more rights to the accused than the accuser, again IMHO.....but that's perhaps for the Holy Ground and not the football forum.

I am sure the footballer in question would just like the opportunity of having a right good square go with him though :greengrin

Anyone want to sign up for my "Bring Back British Bulldog for school playgrounds" campaign :greengrin

Newry Hibs
18-02-2011, 01:44 PM
True to an extent mate, but judges are as inconsistent as Scottish ref's IMHO. They probably go to the same courses at Largs :greengrin

Britain is far too wishy washy, far too wrapped up in Human Rights legislation, and give more rights to the accused than the accuser, again IMHO.....but that's perhaps for the Holy Ground and not the football forum.

I am sure the footballer in question would just like the opportunity of having a right good square go with him though :greengrin

Anyone want to sign up for my "Bring Back British Bulldog for school playgrounds" campaign :greengrin

Or he could try and reaquaint himself with the gf while he's banged up.

McHibby
18-02-2011, 01:47 PM

:greengrin That made me laugh!!

truehibernian
18-02-2011, 02:21 PM

:faf:

Good point mate........summary justice !

Dinkydoo
18-02-2011, 06:01 PM
I think his previous conviction for GBH, for which he was sentenced to 6 1/2 years in prison, might have been taken into consideration and contributed to him getting some "special treatment" this time around.

Is this true?

If so then fair enough I suppose but the article does explicitly state "The court must impose a deterrent sentence to stop this type of behaviour and conduct on a football field"; where as I would have thought if he did have serious previous offences then they'd have released a statement along the lines of: "because of the accused previous conviction of blah, blah ... a custodial sentence is the only reasonable outcome."

I can still remember the day that our school banned it, the *******s!

I was in P6 and the following day we created a very similar game called French Poodle...............needless to say the teachers were not very impressed with our ingenious attempt at getting round the newly imposed rule. :greengrin

Oh the irony, whilst he's jailed for smashing his GF's ex; his GF is currently being pummelled by the same guy. :faf:

Sir David Gray
18-02-2011, 09:48 PM
Is this true?

Yep.

"The court heard that Fitzgerald had a previous conviction for grievous bodily harm and was given a sentence of six and a half years before being released in 2008."

Taken from here (http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/jan/26/stevenage-fan-punch-scott-laird).

Although it doesn't give any details, for him to be sentenced to six and a half years in jail, it must have been a pretty serious incident.

Dinkydoo
19-02-2011, 01:58 PM
Yep.

"The court heard that Fitzgerald had a previous conviction for grievous bodily harm and was given a sentence of six and a half years before being released in 2008."

Taken from here (http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/jan/26/stevenage-fan-punch-scott-laird).

Although it doesn't give any details, for him to be sentenced to six and a half years in jail, it must have been a pretty serious incident.

Thanks for the link.

Yea, I agree. Six and half years isnt going to be for a silly wee scrap; I knew a guy years ago that was put in hospital with internal bleeding after being jumped by a group of local fannies, totally unprovoked. They only got community service and one of them was tagged - puts it in perspective a little bit.

However, as Truehibernian has said the courts can be about as inconsistant as our refs at times.

None the less, my moral outrage has been subdued :wink:

He does sound like a bit of a pillock.

hibeedonald
19-02-2011, 04:32 PM
Anyone remember the Hibs fan that jumped onto the pitch against rangers and squared up to one of their players? Kevin Thompson I think. He was going to punch him but decided against it at the last minute. Not much was made of it though as i'm pretty sure it was the same day as Phil Odonell passed away.