PDA

View Full Version : Another tannadice game postponed

Hakim Sar
16-02-2011, 05:50 PM
National embarrassment. Same with McDiarmid Park. worst stadiums in the uk for a variety of reasons.

truehibernian
16-02-2011, 06:08 PM
National embarrassment. Same with McDiarmid Park. worst stadiums in the uk for a variety of reasons.

I think McDiarmid Park is an exception due to the huge car park around the ground which does tend to ice over easy. I suppose the club don't want fans injuring themselves and there would maybe be a liability if people fell etc.

Tannadice......have to say that does annoy me. Firstly it is a toilet of a ground, and the surface has never ever looked great even in good weather. In summer the grass looks too long and in winter you get all this flooding nonsense.

Easter Road. whilst not great this winter, is a million miles better than last year and the pitch seems to hold firm and not cut up.

All boils down to investment at the end of the day mate. Dundee Utd don't have cash to resurface. The fact the ref was considering postponing for a small corner of the ground on Sunday (and the goal mouth) would have been an embarrassment to the SPL.

Nowt will happen though.

Bobby's Cinema
16-02-2011, 06:15 PM
Spot on. Absolute joke. Staying just round the corner from Tannadice, I can tell you there has been some rainfall today, but nothing major. They're 3 and 4games behind everyone else as it is. Joke

cam75
16-02-2011, 06:17 PM
:taxiCould they not have moved the game over the road?

GreenCastle
16-02-2011, 06:19 PM

What about Fir Park...

Our pitch isn't the greatest but at least we spent money on drainage and sorting it out.

Some of these clubs make the game look Mickey Mouse in Scotland :agree:

Sir David Gray
16-02-2011, 09:26 PM
Dundee Utd and St Johnstone should both be fined and if nothing changes next season, their grounds should be closed down until the required changes have been made.

The pitches and the grounds, Tannadice in particular, are simply not fit for purpose.

RIP
16-02-2011, 09:55 PM
Wee bit harsh lads - Tayside weather unprecedented this winter

For example average mid-day temperature in December 2000-2010 4 degrees

Average this past December MINUS 3

I've still got snow in my garden - the burn down the road has burst it's banks again tonight

IWasThere2016
16-02-2011, 10:07 PM
Wee bit harsh lads - Tayside weather unprecedented this winter

For example average mid-day temperature in December 2000-2010 4 degrees

Average this past December MINUS 3

I've still got snow in my garden - the burn down the road has burst it's banks again tonight

Aye, still snow in College's Kingsway Campus and on Claverhouse Road .. Local golf courses flooded badly also.

smurf
16-02-2011, 10:16 PM
Cashflow difficulties mount...

Hakim Sar
16-02-2011, 10:37 PM
Motherwell were forced to pay a small fortune to get their mess sorted and these clubs should be made to do the same.

As for the late call offs when a games up north and people have to trek miles... well another nail in the coffin of bones widely known as the SFA. Rain forecast from 6pm onwards so if the pitch is that bogged up the game should have been postponed at midday. Fans treated like garbage again.

sahib
16-02-2011, 10:52 PM
Two things to add to this, typically charitable, hibs.net thread: 1. I think geography plays it's part here wrt those two grounds. 2. Our lovely new pitch looks a bit knackered as well.

Springbank
17-02-2011, 05:56 AM
Am i the only hibbie who thinks up north begins not in dundee,but at the line (e-w) aberdeen, to drummochter, to oban. Dundee is pretty much local

Peevemor
17-02-2011, 06:02 AM
Am i the only hibbie who thinks up north begins not in dundee,but at the line (e-w) aberdeen, to drummochter, to oban. Dundee is pretty much local

I always think of Dundee as East rather than North. I think Pitlochry is in (what was) Highland region, so I've always thought of the north as starting their. It cetainly feels like it.

Phil D. Rolls
17-02-2011, 08:20 AM
I think McDiarmid Park is an exception due to the huge car park around the ground which does tend to ice over easy. I suppose the club don't want fans injuring themselves and there would maybe be a liability if people fell etc.

Tannadice......have to say that does annoy me. Firstly it is a toilet of a ground, and the surface has never ever looked great even in good weather. In summer the grass looks too long and in winter you get all this flooding nonsense.

Easter Road. whilst not great this winter, is a million miles better than last year and the pitch seems to hold firm and not cut up.

All boils down to investment at the end of the day mate. Dundee Utd don't have cash to resurface. The fact the ref was considering postponing for a small corner of the ground on Sunday (and the goal mouth) would have been an embarrassment to the SPL.

Nowt will happen though.

Doesn't stop them investing in their squad though.

I always think of Dundee as East rather than North. I think Pitlochry is in (what was) Highland region, so I've always thought of the north as starting their. It cetainly feels like it.

It's in Perthshire, which is part of Tayside.

SouthMoroccoStu
17-02-2011, 08:21 AM
These clubs should be FORCED to improve their stadiums before they are allowed to improve the squad.
The stadium itself is a dive. I refuse to pay upwards of £27 of sit on a wooden bench to watch an away game.

PeterboroHibee
17-02-2011, 08:22 AM
Tannadice is a dump imo, but I suppose if the pitch is unplayable then theres not much they can do. Steven Thomson was saying they might have to play 4 games a week couple of times before the split to fit all these fixtures in. Cant see them doing much if thats the case, players will be knackered and imagine they will pick up a few injuries.

Peevemor
17-02-2011, 09:54 AM
Tannadice is a dump imo, but I suppose if the pitch is unplayable then theres not much they can do. Steven Thomson was saying they might have to play 4 games a week couple of times before the split to fit all these fixtures in. Cant see them doing much if thats the case, players will be knackered and imagine they will pick up a few injuries.

It's a shame, Tannadice used to be one of my favourite away grounds, with the steep, covered terracing.

GreenCastle
17-02-2011, 10:23 AM
Two things to add to this, typically charitable, hibs.net thread: 1. I think geography plays it's part here wrt those two grounds. 2. Our lovely new pitch looks a bit knackered as well.

Our pitch isn't the greatest but is playable.

We have had bad weather this winter but Hibs have spent money on the pitch / stadium while some of these teams in the league haven't improved their stadium for years.

I would rather see success on the pitch than a shiny stadium but it comes to a point where clubs need to put money towards improving facilities like stadiums and pitches.

Keith_M
17-02-2011, 10:29 AM
It's a shame, Tannadice used to be one of my favourite away grounds, with the steep, covered terracing.

:agree:

I used to love going there, pre-seating. Always a fantastic view of the pitch and the main terrace roof lent itself to good acoustics, so a bit of noise almost guaranteed.

Favourite visit there was early eighties in a cup tie. IIRC, Stanton was the manager and he bamboozled everybody by playing FIVE up front.

Peevemor
17-02-2011, 11:16 AM
:agree:

I used to love going there, pre-seating. Always a fantastic view of the pitch and the main terrace roof lent itself to good acoustics, so a bit of noise almost guaranteed.

Favourite visit there was early eighties in a cup tie. IIRC, Stanton was the manager and he bamboozled everybody by playing FIVE up front.

We never did very well at Tannadice in those days. My favourite game was a 3-3 draw, with Hibs coming back from 3-1 behind with Ricey volleying a superb late equaliser.

http://ihibs.co.uk/game.php?gameid=3770

clerriehibs
18-02-2011, 10:30 AM

Geography? :confused:

ICT have managed 12 home games in the SPL. Aberdeen have 11 managed, more than D Utd's. Both are also on the east coast, both are considerably further north.

There's also the Highland League, a league dedicated to playing their football further north than Dundee.

And Dundee FC, just across the road, have managed 12 home games.

I don't think geography has much to do with it.

--------
18-02-2011, 12:42 PM

ICT have managed 12 home games in the SPL. Aberdeen have 11 managed, more than D Utd's. Both are also on the east coast, both are considerably further north.

There's also the Highland League, a league dedicated to playing their football further north than Dundee.

No, it hasn't. The Tannadice pitch is just a rank bad pitch and United need to be made to do something about it.

IMO the time is now long past when the SPL should have been looking to have synthetic pitches installed at all grounds. Forget the Dunfermline experiment - synthetics nowadays are far superior to the pitch they were forced to lay - and remember that Hamilton Accies played for IIRC 4 seasons on a synthetic in the First Division without complaints or problems arising.

Scottish winters are totally unpredictable - we've had snow and low temperatures the past two winters, but next year we could see record rainfall and mild temperatures instead. We don't know when the snow (if any) will arrive, and we don't know how long it will stay. This makes a winter break almost inoperable, IMO. Synthetic pitches are the answer.

[Of course, if a club decides NOT to lay an artificial pitch, and a game's called off as a result of their grass pitch being deemed unplayable, the simple answer would be to award all three points to the disappointed visitors. I bet they'd lay a synthetic for the following season. :devil: ]

Edit: In regard to St Johnstone's car park, all the supermarkets in the Airdrie/Coatbridge area had their car-parks clear and safe for use within a few days of the snow arriving in November. We had our car-park at the church here clear and safe within 10 days - we had a problem for ONE Sunday at most. Airdrie United's car-park was cleared quickly, too.

So how come an SPL football club couldn't clear and salt their car-park?

Hakim Sar
18-02-2011, 01:01 PM
When did dundee spew-nited (see what I did there?) last refurbish Shan-nadice?

was it just a case of seats bolted down after hillsborough? Maybe they should look for a more lucrative sponsor than fat sams and use it to create a new stand.

Dashing Bob S
18-02-2011, 02:41 PM
Bulldoze Tannadice, Tynecastle and all the other slums that bring shame on the Scottish game.

JoeTortolanoFanClub
18-02-2011, 03:10 PM
No, it hasn't. The Tannadice pitch is just a rank bad pitch and United need to be made to do something about it.

IMO the time is now long past when the SPL should have been looking to have synthetic pitches installed at all grounds. Forget the Dunfermline experiment - synthetics nowadays are far superior to the pitch they were forced to lay - and remember that Hamilton Accies played for IIRC 4 seasons on a synthetic in the First Division without complaints or problems arising.

Scottish winters are totally unpredictable - we've had snow and low temperatures the past two winters, but next year we could see record rainfall and mild temperatures instead. We don't know when the snow (if any) will arrive, and we don't know how long it will stay. This makes a winter break almost inoperable, IMO. Synthetic pitches are the answer.

[Of course, if a club decides NOT to lay an artificial pitch, and a game's called off as a result of their grass pitch being deemed unplayable, the simple answer would be to award all three points to the disappointed visitors. I bet they'd lay a synthetic for the following season. :devil: ]

Edit: In regard to St Johnstone's car park, all the supermarkets in the Airdrie/Coatbridge area had their car-parks clear and safe for use within a few days of the snow arriving in November. We had our car-park at the church here clear and safe within 10 days - we had a problem for ONE Sunday at most. Airdrie United's car-park was cleared quickly, too.

So how come an SPL football club couldn't clear and salt their car-park?

I played on a 4G astroturf pitch last September. it was fantastic. After the first 5 minutes I really did not notice the difference from grass.

Iggy Pope
18-02-2011, 09:27 PM

Have to agree. Loved going to Tannadice in the late 70s, early 80s (although latterly the results were ****ing awful).

Remember getting a transfer to the stand for about 20p and they had a great wee souvenir hut below the stand with old programmes and badges.

Their Pies and their Bovril were fantastic.

Pat Carrol scored direct from a corner.

Now though, it is lacking to say the least.

ArabHibee
18-02-2011, 10:02 PM

Maybe it does. ICT and Aberdeen grounds are right next to water, sea level.

ArabHibee
18-02-2011, 10:04 PM
These clubs should be FORCED to improve their stadiums before they are allowed to improve the squad.
The stadium itself is a dive.I refuse to pay upwards of £27 of sit on a wooden bench to watch an away game.

Don't go in the main stand then.

AFKA5814_Hibs
18-02-2011, 10:16 PM
I think geography does have a say. In 28 years of supporting Hibs I think I could count on one hand the number of games that have been called off at ER due to the pitch being unplayable, we're fortunate because of our position close to the sea.

However I have no sympathy with United about their fixture pile up. If they have to play three games a week then so what, they're professional football players and should be able to handle that no problem.

Ritchie
18-02-2011, 10:23 PM
Dundee Utd and St Johnstone should both be fined and if nothing changes next season, their grounds should be closed down until the required changes have been made.

The pitches and the grounds, Tannadice in particular, are simply not fit for purpose.

What good would fining the clubs do!??

If they can't afford to fix the pitch, fines will do nothing but hinder the clubs further.

They should be given help IMO.

Fines get thrown about too much nowadays which is pointless considering the financial difficulties Scottish clubs have.

Removed
18-02-2011, 10:28 PM

If they can't afford to fix the pitch, fines will do nothing but hinder the clubs further.

Fines get thrown about too much nowadays which is pointless considering the financial difficulties Scottish clubs have.

Help them :faf: How?

They can afford it, but they spend their money on other things.

It's just like buying new alloys for your car but not insuring it. I'm with Falkirk, punish them I say and teach them a lesson :agree:

--------
18-02-2011, 11:11 PM

Does this mean that clubs like Motherwell and Dundee United who've spent the square root of absolutely nothing on improving their stadiums and pitches, while devoting all their resources to their teams, should be given MORE money to put their pitches in order?

Money, that is, that HIBS found in their own club pockets when we could have been spending it on the team?

Aye, right!

ekhibee
18-02-2011, 11:57 PM
Really can't see how Dundee Utd could have an argument about being fined if Den's Park has been playable when they've been having all these call offs, the 2 stadiums are virtually next door to each other. It's their problem, they have to fix it, no other clubs should be propping them up financially IMO. Considering what a dump Dens is just makes the Tannadice situation more farcical. Maybe if Thomson junior spent less time mouthing off in the papers about this and that and actually focussing on the problem in hand then something would actually get done. I do sympathize with the DU fans up to an extent, I know some of them helped to finance at least 1 of the stands at Tannadice, but if the club don't do anything about it, it shouldn't be up to other clubs to help them out,that's just my opinion though.

Bobby's Cinema
19-02-2011, 12:19 AM
Help them :faf: How?

They can afford it, but they spend their money on other things.

It's just like buying new alloys for your car but not insuring it. I'm with Falkirk, punish them I say and teach them a lesson :agree:
:agree: They're 4games behind the rest. Criminal. Only in the spl :rolleyes: