PDA

View Full Version : McCoist overhead kick goal on BBC archive

Niffy
16-02-2011, 10:08 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/scotland/9398684.stm

Not seen that since I was at the game... never got over that. Baam.

Big Dave McPherson scored for Hibs that day.

But it will always be remembered by me as the game my wife (who is about 5 foot zero) got gobbed on by a crowd of Rangers fans walking into the ground right in front of a group of police, when I asked if they were going to do anything about it they told me to shut up and get into the game.

al bundy
16-02-2011, 10:14 AM
always remember donkey mcpherson scoring the o.g, parkhead was a rocking when that went in!

hibs0666
16-02-2011, 10:19 AM
Sometimes you've just got to hold your hands up and say it was a fantastic strike.

PaulSmith
16-02-2011, 10:26 AM
Almost the forgotton Cup Final in my eyes, perhaps as it was played at Parkhead but one that I felt we should've won.

KeithTheHibby
16-02-2011, 10:32 AM
We were on top in that game before super ersehole grabbed the winner.

I felt gutted after that game as they had an immense team and beating them would have been up there with the best.

Wilson
16-02-2011, 10:40 AM
Sometimes you've just got to hold your hands up and say it was a fantastic strike.

Aye but not when it is your wife.

skipster7
16-02-2011, 10:44 AM
Me and the Fishman were on the front page of the Evening News the next day sitting steaming on the Parkhead terrace under the heading "2 dejected Hibs fans".:greengrin
Through my drunken haze i recall us being on top after we scored only to lose to a brilliant goal scored by someone who'd been out for 6 months:grr:

heretoday
16-02-2011, 11:24 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/scotland/9398684.stm

Not seen that since I was at the game... never got over that. Baam.

Big Dave McPherson scored for Hibs that day.

But it will always be remembered by me as the game my wife (who is about 5 foot zero) got gobbed on by a crowd of Rangers fans walking into the ground right in front of a group of police, when I asked if they were going to do anything about it they told me to shut up and get into the game.

They must have been too busy catching criminals. :agree:

offshorehibby
16-02-2011, 11:31 AM
Hibs played brilliant that day and it was going to take a class goal to beat us, i was gutted

Fife-Hibee
16-02-2011, 11:48 AM
always remember donkey mcpherson scoring the o.g, parkhead was a rocking when that went in!

anyone else remember the orange flute band going round the pitch at half time :grr:

Peevemor
16-02-2011, 11:55 AM
anyone else remember the orange flute band going round the pitch at half time :grr:

:tsk tsk: It was a crowd called Macumba - South American pecussion + bagpipes.

Fife-Hibee
16-02-2011, 11:58 AM
:tsk tsk: It was a crowd called Macumba - South American pecussion + bagpipes.

Well they were getting a lot of stick from where i was standing :greengrin

truehibernian
16-02-2011, 12:02 PM
When we equalised I thought there was only one winner and that was us. I always remember the wee delay and the roar from their end when he scored......gutted gutted gutted. You knew when you saw him come on though that he was a jammy wee so and so.....

Hibs were superb second half that game, shame they lost it. Cracking Hibs crowd too......I nearly ended up being pushed to Mount Florida when we scored. Great day out bar the result.

Hillsidehibby
16-02-2011, 12:05 PM
Well they were getting a lot of stick from where i was standing :greengrin

A lot of people were showing their appreciation at them by showering them with coins.

Peevemor
16-02-2011, 12:10 PM
I'd been at a stag do the night before and was rough as ...

We started the day in some pub in Bonnyrigg (from where our coach was leaving). We then wen't to some pub in Glasgow and, try as I might, it just wasn't working for me. However, a wee strategic spew on the way to the ground squared me up a bit.

Daisys OG was a classic, but one of the turning points for me was Keith Wright being booked for diving when he was clean through on the keeper. The replay from the main stand camera clearly show that he was tripped by the keeper as he took the ball past him. :grr:

Craig_in_Prague
16-02-2011, 12:13 PM
I seen some highlights of the final over the years and I'm sure the commentator said we were top, or maybe 2nd, at the time in the league?
We were going well and Hibs winning that cup would have been no real shock, even in the weegie eyes.

All i remember from the game itself was our goal and their winner......

Big Frank
16-02-2011, 12:28 PM
I was steamin tha day.
Hazy memory says the cabbage played really well that day. Tubby mccoist comes off the bench and hits an overhead kick. Gutted!

Great own goal from disco dave into the hibs end. :flag:

Speedway
16-02-2011, 12:30 PM
As soon as Hunter cleared the roof with a shot from about 8 yards out I felt we'd blown it. DazzaJazza then missed connecting with a shot across goal by an inch.

I felt it wasn't going to be our day. Then we failed to get tight to Sally McMoist and gave him time to get an overhead kick in. I felt he deserved an overheadkickin myself at the time.

truehibernian
16-02-2011, 12:55 PM
Parkhead was a better atmosphere than Hampden though have to say........Hibs crowd was simply amazing that day even in defeat.

bringbackbenny
16-02-2011, 12:55 PM
A lot of people were showing their appreciation at them by showering them with coins.

I'm sure I recall a portion of the Hibs support on the day took exception to them playing along to the 'Hello Hello' melody?

Good day apart from the result, massive sways at the o.g - that must have one of the last huge supports on a terrace?

Another great memory was Davie Farrell putting Mark 'Elbows' Hately 10 feet in the air in injury time. :faf:

truehibernian
16-02-2011, 12:57 PM
I'm sure I recall a portion of the Hibs support on the day took exception to them playing along to the 'Hello Hello' melody?

Good day apart from the result, massive sways at the o.g - that must have one of the last huge supports on a terrace?

Another great memory was Davie Farrell putting Mark 'Elbows' Hately 10 feet in the air in injury time. :faf:

I am also sure Richard Gough was reminded of his wee indiscretions too........the Gough chant seemed to last the full 90 mins

hibs0666
16-02-2011, 01:01 PM
As soon as Hunter cleared the roof with a shot from about 8 yards out I felt we'd blown it. DazzaJazza then missed connecting with a shot across goal by an inch.

I felt it wasn't going to be our day. Then we failed to get tight to Sally McMoist and gave him time to get an overhead kick in. I felt he deserved an overheadkickin myself at the time.

Jackson was also one on one with their keeper (Carson?) in the second half. That's about as much as I remember of the game due to a big session in the Clyde supporters club in Rutherglen beforehand.

Speedway
16-02-2011, 01:02 PM
Jackson was also one on one with their keeper (Carson?) in the second half. That's about as much as I remember of the game due to a big session in the Clyde supporters club in Rutherglen beforehand.

:agree:

Maxwell was in goals that day, wasn't he?

hibs0666
16-02-2011, 01:06 PM

Maxwell was in goals that day, wasn't he?

Dunno mate, I was pished in the centre stand and seem to recall spending the game noising up gangster huns in masonic-style overcoats. :wink:

heretoday
16-02-2011, 01:27 PM
I didn't go to the final for some reason. The semi was at Tynie against D.United if I'm correct and Jackson scored a great goal with a left foot shot into the corner.

GraniteCityHibs
16-02-2011, 01:28 PM
The very day I decided to be a Hibee!!

My old man used to be a big Gers man (not so much now after the years of their teams being over-run by foreigners etc) but i never followed them and although he did try to get us to be Dons fans when we were very young, it never really stuck (thank god!) We always follwed Scotland more than clubs at that time!

That final was a day when i sat down at 9 years of age and found myself supporting the other team to my dads for whatever reason.

I was with them all the way that day and when that goal went in i was absolutely gutted!!

From that day on, there was no getting passed it..... I WAS A HIBEE!!!!:flag::flag::flag::flag:

GGTTH

IWasThere2016
16-02-2011, 02:07 PM
Almost the forgotton Cup Final in my eyes, perhaps as it was played at Parkhead but one that I felt we should've won.

:agree: We had the chances - Geebsie, DJ, Keith :grr:

Removed
16-02-2011, 08:37 PM
:agree: great day and performance but gutted we lost it

We were sitting in the main stand and my funniest memory was turning round and seeing my mother standing up giving the W sign to the Huns. She says she was just copying everyone else and didn't know what it meant :faf:

3pm
16-02-2011, 08:50 PM
There was a cross fae McAllister that Gary Stevens somehow headered off the line @ 1-1.

allmodcons
16-02-2011, 09:32 PM
McCoist missed a decent chance that day just after he came off the bench.

As you can imagine, there was a huge jeer went up from Hibs support.

Typical of detestable hun to then score with an overhead kick.

Personally, I can't stand McCosit. Mr 'cheeky chappie' darling of the Scottish Media but, in reality, just a big headed hun pr**k.

wazoo1875
16-02-2011, 09:42 PM

I remember that, was a great day except the result. Although when donkey Dave scored our equaliser I was somehow knocked to the deck and thought I was gonna get trampled to death. The terracing was rammed solid that day and there was pish running down the stairs. Parkhead was a dump back then but it was always a good trip. Our bus stopped at fauldhoose miners club that day and we were all steaming by the time it left. Should've won that day, but it was a quality strike by mccoist.

Bishop Hibee
16-02-2011, 10:29 PM
I'm sure Darren Jackson wasn't 100% fit for that game which meant he didn't quite get there on the end of a ball across the 6 yard box.

Durrant was not long back from injury, was their best player, and then went out injured again not long after.

Typical lucky hun weegie gits.

C I Hibee
16-02-2011, 11:57 PM
I could not see us loosing that day, gob smacked when that goal went in. Gutted is an understatement:boo hoo:

Pete
17-02-2011, 12:49 AM
The only consoloation I can find is that was some Rangers team back then. It oozed quality and did for years.

What a difference today and long may their financial woes continue!

monktonharp
17-02-2011, 01:11 AM
I do remember the "band" and their antics,as they passed the auld jungle much to the delight of the huns. when they got to our end there was a surge to the wall with Hibs fans screaming to get these *******s oot! i'm sure there was about a dozen arrests because of those bassas:brickwall

Keith_M
17-02-2011, 11:34 AM
I don't know why any Hibby would want to watch that again.

The wee nyaff totally spoiled my weekend. :fuming:

Keith_M
17-02-2011, 11:39 AM

That's a popular misconception. There was NO orange flute band, or anything like it.

The marching band had stopped in front of the Huns and were banging their drums in time to one of the Hun songs, making them very unpopular with the Hibs end. They then stopped in front of the Hibs support, to do something similar I presume, and got dog's abuse.

Peevemor
17-02-2011, 12:10 PM
That's a popular misconception. There was NO orange flute band, or anything like it.

The marching band had stopped in front of the Huns and were banging their drums in time to one of the Hun songs, making them very unpopular with the Hibs end. They then stopped in front of the Hibs support, to do something similar I presume, and got dog's abuse.

:agree: Though in fact, the Huns starting singing in time with something else the band were already playing. Had they gone anti-clockwise around the track and stopped at the Hibs end first, then it'd probably be the huns that were accusing of being a fenian band.

I know one of the guys who was playing pipes with them that day.

Bad Martini
17-02-2011, 12:32 PM
The only good goal scored by a hun is into their AIN net.

ENDOF

Sergy Pie
17-02-2011, 12:48 PM
I remember when the teams came out, it seemed that every rangers fan threw some bog roll or something similar as their whole end was a wall of paper. It's always stuck with me that one.

I also remember the Gary Steven's header he cleared off the line from a cross. He was under pressure from Wright and somehow back headered it clear. I was dumb struck he managed to do that at the time.

Groathillgrump
17-02-2011, 01:14 PM
Here's the BBC preview to that 1993 final. Some great footage from that period and Darren Jackson takes Hazel Irvine up the Dunbar End! :greengrin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aas-VZDTSyc

Baader
17-02-2011, 01:50 PM
Here's the BBC preview to that 1993 final. Some great footage from that period and Darren Jackson takes Hazel Irvine up the Dunbar End! :greengrin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aas-VZDTSyc

Cheers! Enjoyed watching that. Not sure I've seen that Jackson goal in the semi-final since I was there around the so called 'crazy corner'!

We had a good side then - especially up front but with a few of weak links in some of the ones Miller was always too loyal to. McAllister and O'Neill were brilliant feeding Jackson and Wright.

Remember thinking we were done at 1-0 only to get back in it but feared the worst when that er$e Swally came on having been out for weeks - that's just the sort of thing that seemed to happen in his Hun career.

ozwoody
17-02-2011, 02:31 PM
I can remember that day clear as a bell,my eldest was born in simpsons at 4 in the morning, then after doing the rounds of phone calls I headed to sunnyside for bus(well my wife did wait in line 8 month pregnant for ticket) and had great time wetting boys head on bus and in celtic club beforehand.You just knew mccoist was going to score after being out with broken leg.As gutted as I was,going back to simpsons and draping my first son in a hibs scarf seemed to make all the pain go away.Hibs were superb that day,but I will never forget the moment a new hibby came into the world.

erin go bragh
17-02-2011, 05:52 PM
took my 1st [and last sniff of poppers] seconds before the big giraffe put the ball in his own net , had to hold me head for what felt like ages as i realy thought it was going to explode :greengrin not one of my mates better ideas [sniff this wee bottle]
ggtth

davehiby
17-02-2011, 06:17 PM
i was at this game but unless my mind has gone i remember it being at hampden no parkhead

CropleyWasGod
17-02-2011, 06:37 PM
i was at this game but unless my mind has gone i remember it being at hampden no parkhead

Okay, I will say it.

Your mind.... it has gone. :aok:

coco22
17-02-2011, 06:47 PM

that is the farthest i have ever moved / been carried by the crowd when celebrating a goal, was only 12 and got totally split up from my dad - pat my shants but didnae care! incidentally, my cousin lost his glasses in same celebration and couldnt see the other end of the ground or mcoists goal! only the hun roar to signify the end, tears and everything

Hibernia Na Eir
17-02-2011, 08:27 PM
D.O.S

down-the-slope
17-02-2011, 10:31 PM

:agree: . very memorable for me. Was in Lisbon for the Scotland game we were gubbed in and McCoist got his leg broken.....shocker of a challenge.

McCoist (who I admit I cannot do anything other than admire) out for 6 months....comes on at 1-1 as a sub.... forst game back....and.......

Roy of the Rovers stuff

hibbytam
17-02-2011, 11:26 PM
B-starred.

That moment ruined my childhood, and so my entire life. Until then, as far as I was aware cup finals were a fairly regular thing, and there existence was only for hibs to win them.