PDA

View Full Version : Major League Baseball - 2011 Season

Pages : [1] 2

Sylar
15-02-2011, 10:37 AM
Players are beginning to report to Spring Training camps following a long, cold winter period. The NFL is well and truly done, the NCAA Footballers are busy in the libraries again, the Stanley Cup playoffs loom ever closer and the NCAA mens basketball draws closer to March Madness.

With all of these things over/coming to a close, that can only mean the new baseball season is upon us! I'm well aware there are those of you out there who dislike/don't "get" the attraction of baseball, and that's fine - can we avoid the usual drone-like responses of "baseball's pish" though please?

It's been a busy off-season with some big trades happening and some even bigger ones looking likely to go down. The Philadelphia Philles have quite possibly the most fearsome pitching rotation that I can remember, with additional rumours of CC Sabbathia also joining from the Yankees. The Chicago Cubs (who know our plight of so long without a trophy) have signed 2 solid pitchers into their starting rotation but all of that is currently taking a back seat to the big news story circling around the league just now, which is the future of Albert Pujols. The Cardinals have reportedly offered him $10 million/5 year contract, but Pujols is seeking 10 years to keep him in St Louis. Rumours are that if he hasn't signed by noon (ET) on Wednesday, he'll opt out of negotiations and activate the buy-out clause on his contract, with the Cubs looking favourites to land him. This would be a huge statement of ambition from the Cubs who are aiming to end their World Series hoodoo.

I don't expect much from my team this year - we've not done a great deal of business in the off-season, other than the acquisition of Victor Martinez from the Red Sox and sealing further extensions for Brandon Inge and Magglio Ordonez. A couple of pitching prospects and a few players leaving, but nothing to make me think we'll be genuine contenders against an ever-powerful looking White Sox/Twins rosters.

However, I'm looking forward to getting to 2 games this year in June - one at home in Commerica vs divisional rivals Minnesota and then a trip along to Chicago to watch us play divisional rivals and favourites, Chicago.

Fingers crossed this doesn't turn into my annual schizophrenic self-conversational thread :greengrin

Haymaker
16-02-2011, 03:31 PM
I vaguely follow the Red Sox but always lose interest half-way through the season due to other commitments taking up my time, so it might be nice to have a thread on baseball to allow me to keep up to date...

...So im going to say Red Sox for the series! :greengrin

James.
16-02-2011, 04:38 PM
Can't wait for the baseball season to get started again! Another 7 months of torture following the Mets is upon us and I love every minute of it!

Our off season has been all about the Wilpons and their dealings with Bernie Madoff and his Ponzi scheme. Really hope they sell up so we can have a bit of a new start which I think ultimately they'll have to if they need to pay back the reported $1b to the authorities involved. Heard yesterday that Ollie Perez will be given a shot at making the starting rotation so please shoot me now.

World Series Champions? Anyone but the Phillies please. Hope Tampa do well as their fans have been patiently waiting on all that young talent to develop.

(While you mention College Basketball - how about St Johns these days? Looks like were heading for the rankings for the first time since I started following them 6 years ago, a nice distraction from the Mets and Islanders at the moment)

DarrenSQH
16-02-2011, 04:48 PM
Don't really have a team in MLB but enjoy watching it.

Been to a few New Orleans Zephyrs games when I have been over, they are the Florida marlins feeder team.

Sylar
16-02-2011, 05:11 PM
Can't wait for the baseball season to get started again! Another 7 months of torture following the Mets is upon us and I love every minute of it!

Our off season has been all about the Wilpons and their dealings with Bernie Madoff and his Ponzi scheme. Really hope they sell up so we can have a bit of a new start which I think ultimately they'll have to if they need to pay back the reported $1b to the authorities involved. Heard yesterday that Ollie Perez will be given a shot at making the starting rotation so please shoot me now.

World Series Champions? Anyone but the Phillies please. Hope Tampa do well as their fans have been patiently waiting on all that young talent to develop.

(While you mention College Basketball - how about St Johns these days? Looks like were heading for the rankings for the first time since I started following them 6 years ago, a nice distraction from the Mets and Islanders at the moment)

I was reading up on it all on ESPN earlier - I think most Mets fans will be hoping they sell up and move on!

Perez should be nowhere near the starting rotation - he's a RP at best, and begging for a trip to AAA at worst.

Going to be very hard to see past either the Phillies or Giants for the NL pennant - those are 2 extremely scary pitching rosters - Cliff Lee, Roy Halladay, Cole Hammels and Roy Oswalt in the Phillies rotation, with Tim Lincecum, Matt Cain and Barry Zito being among the likely starts for the Giants - terrifying really!.

Not sure who I fancy for the AL this year - I've normally had a feeling the past few seasons, but the Rangers definitely upset a few people last year. I think the Rays will struggle to replace Matt Garza, who has landed in Chicago. The rest of their starting rotation lacks a little depth, but they still have a good offense - the addition of Manny Ramirez is a good one, so long as he can stay healthy - really don't understand the signing of Johnny Damon though - he was far from inspiring in our lineup last year!

I fancy it'll be between the White Sox and the Yankees for the AL this year.

SlickShoes
16-02-2011, 07:36 PM
I have ESPN again and im excited about the new season, i may even fork out for mlbtv as it is usually great value for overseas viewers!

I used to play baseball a few years ago and really enjoyed it, went to toronto and saw the blue jays play twice while i was there it was excellent.

This year i will be in SanFrancisco for a music festival but on the day off from that i am hoping to go see my favourite baseball team the Oakland A's take on the SF Giants in Oakland! Should be awesome. I realise following the A's is a bit like following hibs.

Sylar
16-02-2011, 07:42 PM
I have ESPN again and im excited about the new season, i may even fork out for mlbtv as it is usually great value for overseas viewers!

I used to play baseball a few years ago and really enjoyed it, went to toronto and saw the blue jays play twice while i was there it was excellent.

This year i will be in SanFrancisco for a music festival but on the day off from that i am hoping to go see my favourite baseball team the Oakland A's take on the SF Giants in Oakland! Should be awesome. I realise following the A's is a bit like following hibs.

I just bought mlb.tv for the season - works out around £60, but it's great value, as it includes every single game including pre and post-season.

SlickShoes
16-02-2011, 07:46 PM
I just bought mlb.tv for the season - works out around £60, but it's great value, as it includes every single game including pre and post-season.

I'm looking forward to getting to a couple of games this year too - Oakland A's, eh? Going to be a long year in the NL West for you guys I'd imagine :greengrin

haha its ALWAYS a long year as an A's fan, there was a time when we would make the play offs a fair bit but those days with miguel tejada and eric chavez hitting them out the park are well gone. I have been away from baseball for the last 3 years ive completely missed it all and i hardly recognise any A's players.

I just looked and you get the premium mlbtv for only $119 i think on payday i will be buying that, since i set up HD media center PC i can stream all the games in HD right on my TV and lose the whole summer to baseball!

Sylar
16-02-2011, 07:51 PM
haha its ALWAYS a long year as an A's fan, there was a time when we would make the play offs a fair bit but those days with miguel tejada and eric chavez hitting them out the park are well gone. I have been away from baseball for the last 3 years ive completely missed it all and i hardly recognise any A's players.

I just looked and you get the premium mlbtv for only $119 i think on payday i will be buying that, since i set up HD media center PC i can stream all the games in HD right on my TV and lose the whole summer to baseball!

I'd love to get the games streaming from my laptop onto the TV.

Might need to look into it actually.

hibsbollah
17-02-2011, 02:45 PM
The Cubs are my team, i like the sound of some of their acquisitions this year too. End of the hoodoo this season please:)

Dashing Bob S
17-02-2011, 07:56 PM
My team, the Pirates, are perenial losers and I expect nothing of them. Even in their home town, nobody cares, everyone just loves the Steelers in the NFL. The best we could have done was relocated our moribund franchise to Vegas, instead of building a new stadium nobody wants to go to. It would also have balanced the leagues, with the same number of teams in each of the six divisions.

Yes, baseball is pish if you're a Pirate.

Hope Red Sox beat the hated Yankees, White Sox beat the detestable Twins, and that the Cardinals defeat those frat boy losers, the obnoxious Cubs.

Sylar
17-02-2011, 10:49 PM
Our "big hitter" has made a remarkable return to his off-field form, getting arrested in Florida under a DUI charge.

The guy just won't live up to his promise unless he faces his demons.

Dashing Bob S
18-02-2011, 03:10 PM
Our "big hitter" has made a remarkable return to his off-field form, getting arrested in Florida under a DUI charge.

The guy just won't live up to his promise unless he faces his demons.

He's a sunbelt boy, can't settle in Detroit. The clubs and bars of Ocean Drive in MB have too big a pull. Imagine some of the Hibs crowd if George Street became tropical...

Sylar
19-02-2011, 11:31 AM
He's a sunbelt boy, can't settle in Detroit. The clubs and bars of Ocean Drive in MB have too big a pull. Imagine some of the Hibs crowd if George Street became tropical...

I was surprised when we initially acquired him from the Marlins actually, but they wanted him out for the very reason of his off-field issues.

Can't see him being with us for the start of the season by the time legal proceedings, club discipline and league discipline are imposed.

Dirkster23
21-02-2011, 06:34 PM
Players are beginning to report to Spring Training camps following a long, cold winter period. The NFL is well and truly done, the NCAA Footballers are busy in the libraries again, the Stanley Cup playoffs loom ever closer and the NCAA mens basketball draws closer to March Madness.

With all of these things over/coming to a close, that can only mean the new baseball season is upon us! I'm well aware there are those of you out there who dislike/don't "get" the attraction of baseball, and that's fine - can we avoid the usual drone-like responses of "baseball's pish" though please?

It's been a busy off-season with some big trades happening and some even bigger ones looking likely to go down. The Philadelphia Philles have quite possibly the most fearsome pitching rotation that I can remember, with additional rumours of CC Sabbathia also joining from the Yankees. The Chicago Cubs (who know our plight of so long without a trophy) have signed 2 solid pitchers into their starting rotation but all of that is currently taking a back seat to the big news story circling around the league just now, which is the future of Albert Pujols. The Cardinals have reportedly offered him $10 million/5 year contract, but Pujols is seeking 10 years to keep him in St Louis. Rumours are that if he hasn't signed by noon (ET) on Wednesday, he'll opt out of negotiations and activate the buy-out clause on his contract, with the Cubs looking favourites to land him. This would be a huge statement of ambition from the Cubs who are aiming to end their World Series hoodoo.

I don't expect much from my team this year - we've not done a great deal of business in the off-season, other than the acquisition of Victor Martinez from the Red Sox and sealing further extensions for Brandon Inge and Magglio Ordonez. A couple of pitching prospects and a few players leaving, but nothing to make me think we'll be genuine contenders against an ever-powerful looking White Sox/Twins rosters.

However, I'm looking forward to getting to 2 games this year in June - one at home in Commerica vs divisional rivals Minnesota and then a trip along to Chicago to watch us play divisional rivals and favourites, Chicago.

Fingers crossed this doesn't turn into my annual schizophrenic self-conversational thread :greengrin

There's no way CC's going to be going to the Phillies, their starters are in place and there's no way they could add another $23 million to their pay roll. They've already got Halladay $20m, Lee $11m, Oswalt $16m, Hamels $9.5m and Blanton $8.5m this year.

The Cardinals offer to AP is in the region of $20m/8 years ($160m), Pujol's looking for around $30 million/10 years ($300m). Pujols has a no trade clause and has indicated he'd veto any proposed trade. The Cards need to re-sign him at the end of the season or he'll hit free agancy and all they'll pick up a couple of draft picks.

I'm a Red Sox fan and looking forward to how Crawford and Gonzalez fit into the team. Having said that, to have any chance we Beckett, Lackey and Dice-K to bounce back from poor seasons.

Sylar
21-02-2011, 08:33 PM
There's no way CC's going to be going to the Phillies, their starters are in place and there's no way they could add another $23 million to their pay roll. They've already got Halladay $20m, Lee $11m, Oswalt $16m, Hamels $9.5m and Blanton $8.5m this year.

The Cardinals offer to AP is in the region of $20m/8 years ($160m), Pujol's looking for around $30 million/10 years ($300m). Pujols has a no trade clause and has indicated he'd veto any proposed trade. The Cards need to re-sign him at the end of the season or he'll hit free agancy and all they'll pick up a couple of draft picks.

I'm a Red Sox fan and looking forward to how Crawford and Gonzalez fit into the team. Having said that, to have any chance we Beckett, Lackey and Dice-K to bounce back from poor seasons.

Sorry, my initial post wasn't 100% clear - I'm not suggesting CC is likely to join Cliff Lee in Philly this season, but the suggestion is that he might option out of his contract once the 2011 season is over. His initial contract with the Yankees presents him with an opt-out after the third year - he might end up in Philly, he might not, but his close relationship with Cliff Lee could certainly sway him to leave New York. Add to that the fact that Raul Ibanez and Jimmy Rollins contracts' are up at the end of this season, with Philly being unlikely to offer new ones (certainly in the case of Ibanez, who turns 40 later this year), they'd free somewhere in the region of $20 million. They have a huge wealthy backing, a superbly generous fanbase and continued success - I certainly don't think it's unrealistic.

It all comes down to how much the Cards are willing to pay for him I guess - he'd walk straight into the starting lineup in New York or Boston and I'm guessing St Louis (and the rest of the Majors) would be desperate for that NOT to happen. When I initially posted the post you've quoted, the figure being banded about was the $10 million I suggested (based on reports on Baseball Tonight), but it skyrocketed in a couple of days to 20/8. Unbelievable that they're going to walk into the regular season with this cloud hanging over their clubhouse - imagine how much scrutiny he's going to come under if he doesn't put out another MVP season.

I must admit, I'm not entirely sure how the AL East will fall this year - the Rays have lost a lot of their talented players in Crawford, Pena, Garza and Bartlett, and haven't really brought much consistent talent in way of replacement (Damon isn't the player he once was and Ramirez has been inconsistent since returning from his ban last year). The Yankees have an ever-formidable batting lineup, but with the announced retirement of Pettitte and the balooning weight of Chamberlain, their rotation looks highly questionable. On paper, I'd certainly fancy the Red Sox for the AL East. I know I earlier predicted the Yankees, but the developments surrounding their pitching problems in the past week has certainly revised my thoughts. A lot depends on how good the Sox pitching staff is though as a lot of their hopes are pinned on how well Dice-K and and Beckett respond after their injury-ridden season last year.

hibsbollah
22-02-2011, 11:16 AM
Cubs GM talking about how much he likes Pujols. I'm hoping we land him and can rub Cub-haters like Dashing bob's noses in the dirt:na na:

Pujols is a big fan of loony neo-con Glenn Beck. Are there are any left-wing American sportsmen? I cant think of any...

James.
22-02-2011, 06:32 PM
There's only one place Pujols should be heading and that's New York. With the Red Sox and Yanks set for 1B, the Mets would seem a perfect and logical fit if the finances add up.

With regards to the AL East, I can't see past the Rays - I love that young rotation more than Boston and New Yorks. The only real downgrade on offense is Carl Crawford leaving but I think they'll cope.

Matty_Jack04
22-02-2011, 07:35 PM
I have no real idea about baseball but since working with a detroit tigers fan ( who has actually wrote a book about them since......must have been my influence on him) i have promised to get into it, now i have pre ordered the new seasons video game and have a tigers hat :rolleyes:.... if that makes any diffrence!

is espn the only channel to watch coverage? i dont currently have it but will fork out the extra if need be

Sylar
22-02-2011, 08:12 PM
There's only one place Pujols should be heading and that's New York. With the Red Sox and Yanks set for 1B, the Mets would seem a perfect and logical fit if the finances add up.

With regards to the AL East, I can't see past the Rays - I love that young rotation more than Boston and New Yorks. The only real downgrade on offense is Carl Crawford leaving but I think they'll cope.

It seems we disagree on more than just the NFL then :greengrin - I can't see him heading to New York at all - the Mets don't have the finances and the Yankees have Mark Teixeira. If he doesn't stay in St Louis, then the Cubs are probably the favourite destination.

Really? I don't see much strength and depth in the Rays rotation - they've lost their ace in Garza and only David Price had an ERA below 4 last year. Shields is still a great young pitcher, but their rotation is weak at the bottom with Neimann and Sonnastine. The loss of Bartlett is being a little understated, with Elliot Johnson coming up from the Minors being the likely starter at SS. I still reckon the Rays will be thereabouts, but I'm struggling to see beyond the usual suspects in 1 and 2 just now.

I have no real idea about baseball but since working with a detroit tigers fan ( who has actually wrote a book about them since......must have been my influence on him) i have promised to get into it, now i have pre ordered the new seasons video game and have a tigers hat :rolleyes:.... if that makes any diffrence!

is espn the only channel to watch coverage? i dont currently have it but will fork out the extra if need be

A fellow Tigers fan! :thumbsup: Come on in, the waters, erm, freezing as usual! If you do spend this season following us, don't expect much of anything. Lack of finances, very few inspiring off-season trades (still not sure what to make of Victor Martinez - if he can stay healthy, brilliant!), our star slugger is being treated in rehab for substance abuse and our pitching staff looks extremely lightweight. Out of curiosity, who is your colleague and what is the book (you can answer that in a PM if you don't want to understandably put his name on a public forum).

ESPN America and ESPN are the only 2 stations which show the Majors as far as I know. There's the online option of MLB.tv, which is £66 for the whole season, including every game (in HD) from Spring Training, through the regular season, the All-Star break and the playoffs, through to the last pitch of the World Series.

Great value, but only if you'll watch the games with any regularity.

Dashing Bob S
22-02-2011, 08:12 PM

I like the Rays and they way they give youth a fling. Great place to watch baseball as well, warm, never full so tickets always available, and loads if open air bars outside for a drink. Great to see them take out the big boys of Boston and NY.

Sylar
22-02-2011, 08:15 PM
I like the Rays and they way they give youth a fling. Great place to watch baseball as well, warm, never full so tickets always available, and loads if open air bars outside for a drink. Great to see them take out the big boys of Boston and NY.

Tampa Bay confuse me. I like them, and I go and see them regularly when I'm over in Florida - Tropicana is a great stadium, in great surroundings.

However, despite their successes, the locals just don't take to the franchise, and if they keep going the way they are, I won't be surprised if they move from Tampa.

You know it's a bad sign when they have to give away free tickets to playoff games.

Dirkster23
22-02-2011, 08:31 PM
Sorry, my initial post wasn't 100% clear - I'm not suggesting CC is likely to join Cliff Lee in Philly this season, but the suggestion is that he might option out of his contract once the 2011 season is over. His initial contract with the Yankees presents him with an opt-out after the third year - he might end up in Philly, he might not, but his close relationship with Cliff Lee could certainly sway him to leave New York. Add to that the fact that Raul Ibanez and Jimmy Rollins contracts' are up at the end of this season, with Philly being unlikely to offer new ones (certainly in the case of Ibanez, who turns 40 later this year), they'd free somewhere in the region of $20 million. They have a huge wealthy backing, a superbly generous fanbase and continued success - I certainly don't think it's unrealistic.

It all comes down to how much the Cards are willing to pay for him I guess - he'd walk straight into the starting lineup in New York or Boston and I'm guessing St Louis (and the rest of the Majors) would be desperate for that NOT to happen. When I initially posted the post you've quoted, the figure being banded about was the $10 million I suggested (based on reports on Baseball Tonight), but it skyrocketed in a couple of days to 20/8. Unbelievable that they're going to walk into the regular season with this cloud hanging over their clubhouse - imagine how much scrutiny he's going to come under if he doesn't put out another MVP season.

I must admit, I'm not entirely sure how the AL East will fall this year - the Rays have lost a lot of their talented players in Crawford, Pena, Garza and Bartlett, and haven't really brought much consistent talent in way of replacement (Damon isn't the player he once was and Ramirez has been inconsistent since returning from his ban last year). The Yankees have an ever-formidable batting lineup, but with the announced retirement of Pettitte and the balooning weight of Chamberlain, their rotation looks highly questionable. On paper, I'd certainly fancy the Red Sox for the AL East. I know I earlier predicted the Yankees, but the developments surrounding their pitching problems in the past week has certainly revised my thoughts. A lot depends on how good the Sox pitching staff is though as a lot of their hopes are pinned on how well Dice-K and and Beckett respond after their injury-ridden season last year.

Your right, that money is coming off but i'm pretty sure Lee's salary doubles next year to $22m. It might happen, CC has hinted for the first time he might opt out but i can't see him getting more money anywhere else. I know he's friends with Lee, but if the friendship was so strong Lee could have been a Yankee this year and had a healthier bank balance.

I'm not sure what'll happen with Pujols to be honest. The Yankees have Teixeira signed up for the next few years and the Red Sox seem happy they'll reach a multi year contract with Gonzalez. That's two of his most likely destinations 1st bases sorted for a few years. There's been suggestions that the Yankees could try and move Tex, but he's got full no-treade clause. I guess the Cards will be hoping Pujols goes out and has another great season. If he does though, it only increases the pressure on them to get a deal done.

Matty_Jack04
22-02-2011, 08:40 PM
It seems we disagree on more than just the NFL then :greengrin - I can't see him heading to New York at all - the Mets don't have the finances and the Yankees have Mark Teixeira. If he doesn't stay in St Louis, then the Cubs are probably the favourite destination.

Really? I don't see much strength and depth in the Rays rotation - they've lost their ace in Garza and only David Price had an ERA below 4 last year. Shields is still a great young pitcher, but their rotation is weak at the bottom with Neimann and Sonnastine. The loss of Bartlett is being a little understated, with Elliot Johnson coming up from the Minors being the likely starter at SS. I still reckon the Rays will be thereabouts, but I'm struggling to see beyond the usual suspects in 1 and 2 just now.

A fellow Tigers fan! :thumbsup: Come on in, the waters, erm, freezing as usual! If you do spend this season following us, don't expect much of anything. Lack of finances, very few inspiring off-season trades (still not sure what to make of Victor Martinez - if he can stay healthy, brilliant!), our star slugger is being treated in rehab for substance abuse and our pitching staff looks extremely lightweight. Out of curiosity, who is your colleague and what is the book (you can answer that in a PM if you don't want to understandably put his name on a public forum).

ESPN America and ESPN are the only 2 stations which show the Majors as far as I know. There's the online option of MLB.tv, which is £66 for the whole season, including every game (in HD) from Spring Training, through the regular season, the All-Star break and the playoffs, through to the last pitch of the World Series.

Great value, but only if you'll watch the games with any regularity.

Looks like i'l fork out for espn then, i'l maybe get mlbtv if i can get into it as i actually nothing of the game as of yet and its taken 4yrs to get to this stage of my 'promise'.
Detroit city of champions is the book im sure he wont mind the added publicity its about some year when detroits major sports teams won there respective compititions in the same year ( history buff plus sports mad) not read it myself but to a fan it could be a good read, looking forward to watching some baseball hopefully i can get the names of the players in my head so i can add input to a conversation, i hope the dude gets out of rehab tho no much use in there !!

James.
22-02-2011, 08:59 PM

Price is already a better pitcher than Garza, incredible numbers considering that he's pitching in the AL and it was his first full season. Davis and Hellickson also had impressive turns last year, don't see why they can't develop further and continue as they've started - both have massive upside. Then you're looking at Shields and Niemann. Not too bad for maybe 4th and 5th starters (something the Yankees don't have yet) Add Matt Moore coming up, serious potential to be the best rotation in the AL I think.

Sylar
22-02-2011, 09:13 PM
Price is already a better pitcher than Garza, incredible numbers considering that he's pitching in the AL and it was his first full season. Davis and Hellickson also had impressive turns last year, don't see why they can't develop further and continue as they've started - both have massive upside. Then you're looking at Shields and Niemann. Not too bad for maybe 4th and 5th starters (something the Yankees don't have yet) Add Matt Moore coming up, serious potential to be the best rotation in the AL I think.

It's not just the starting rotation which makes organisations like the Yankees so strong though. Look at their RP and likely closer - Rafael Soriano, Joba Chamberlain and David Robertson as relievers, with perhaps the best closer in baseball history, Mariano Rivera.

I'd agree that both Mitre and Nova are the weak links in the rotation, but with such a good supporting bullpen, it might not hinder them much.

The Rays really lack and experienced closer and their relievers are equally inexperienced, which is their weakness IMO.

p.s. - glad to see you changed from that hideous avatar :greengrin

James.
22-02-2011, 09:35 PM
Revis Island will be back in time for our 2011 Superbowl charge. I wonder if Deion Branch and Wes Welker have found their way out of Revis' back pocket yet, haven't seen either since early January :na na:

How effective can relief be if you're down 5 or 6 runs after an inning or two though? Will probably be the most closely contested division as always but if the Rays live up to their potential then I think they will do very well.

It's amazing the effect Spring Training can have - just reading and watching interviews from players makes you certain that you're going all the way to the World Series :agree:

Sylar
22-02-2011, 09:45 PM
Revis Island will be back in time for our 2011 Superbowl charge. I wonder if Deion Branch and Wes Welker have found their way out of Revis' back pocket yet, haven't seen either since early January :na na:

How effective can relief be if you're down 5 or 6 runs after an inning or two though? Will probably be the most closely contested division as always but if the Rays live up to their potential then I think they will do very well.

It's amazing the effect Spring Training can have - just reading and watching interviews from players makes you certain that you're going all the way to the World Series :agree:

That depends who you support :greengrin

I'll settle for a good year of baseball, and If my team happen to do something well, it'll be a bonus!

James.
22-02-2011, 09:59 PM
That depends who you support :greengrin

I'll settle for a good year of baseball, and If my team happen to do something well, it'll be a bonus!

Got to enjoy Spring Training as it inevitably ends up like this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okXhAC78d4Q&feature=related

Sylar
22-02-2011, 10:57 PM
Got to enjoy Spring Training as it inevitably ends up like this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okXhAC78d4Q&feature=related

And therein lies the reason Pujols won't end up at the Mets :wink::devil:

Dashing Bob S
23-02-2011, 01:29 PM
Thought i'd share a little map with you fellow baseball nuts. It's about the geographic fan base of each MLB club. Always cynical about those things, we get into Jambo 400,000 nonsense, but it's apparently based on ST purchases and fan surveys over a five year period, and it sort of rings true.

For instance, the Cubs are the Illnois suburbanite frat boy club, with the White Sox firmly rooted in Chicago's South Side and the industrial rust-belt South Side diaspora.

The Pirates? Well, they've been kind to us by crediting us with any support at all.

http://strangemaps.files.wordpress.com/2007/08/835641802_ef422b12cf_b1.jpg

Sylar
25-02-2011, 09:59 AM
Disastrous start to the pre-season for the Cardinals.

First the failure to secure the future of Albert Pujols, then the co-owner of the organisation passes away and a huge blow yesterday with the announcement that their ace pitcher Adam Wainwright will miss the next 18 months, after damaging his ulnar collateral ligament in his elbow and will require Tommy John surgery to repair it.

Miguel Cabrera has arrived at camp in Lakeland and is to undergo rehab, as well as consulting with the Detroit medical staff, league commissioner and his family in an attempt to get back to his focus on baseball.

If we're to have any chance of winning the division this year (unlikely ahead of the White Sox and Twins, who are boosted by the return of Justin Morneau) we NEED to keep Cabrera playing on top form. He's one of the 2 players (the other being Justin Verlander) that we just can't operate without.

James.
25-02-2011, 05:34 PM
Looks like it's going to be worth the money again this season. Excellent app that's well worth investing in if you have an iphone or ipod. Showing about 150 spring training games, one MLB game a night and radio coverage of every game as well as highlights, news etc. All for less than ten quid!!

Sylar
28-02-2011, 05:16 PM
Good start to our Spring Training over the weekend, with 2 wins and no runs given up against the Blue Jays.

Currently hosting the Yankees in Lakeland and Verlander sounds comfortable again through the first.

Long may this continue! :agree:

Sylar
01-03-2011, 06:58 AM
A good, comprehensive victory over a full strength Yankees side for us last night, winning 6-2.

That gives us an early 3-0 standing at the top of the Spring Training AL standings and top of the Grapefruit League :greengrin

Matters for very little, I know, but it's good to see us still able to win.

Sylar
01-03-2011, 07:53 PM
First televised Tigers game on the MLB.tv network tonight in an away trip to the Philadelphia Phillies.

The Phillies put out a very strong roster including starting off with Cliff Lee on the mound, facing a very young and inexperienced Tigers lineup.

The bats were hot, the pitching was solid and we ended up winning 6-2 with a much weaker side than the NL favourites.

This is fantastic to watch right now and I hope it transfers into the regular season!

4-0 :thumbsup:

Matty_Jack04
01-03-2011, 08:42 PM
get in the tigers!!

James.
01-03-2011, 08:51 PM
Always promising to see a big rival like Philadelphia lose but I'm not reading too much into these early games. It's nice to have baseball back though. We've lost our last two games to the Nationals, a few positives though especially with some of the relievers we've invited to play looking like decent pick ups especially Pedro Beato.

Sylar
01-03-2011, 09:37 PM
Always promising to see a big rival like Philadelphia lose but I'm not reading too much into these early games. It's nice to have baseball back though. We've lost our last two games to the Nationals, a few positives though especially with some of the relievers we've invited to play looking like decent pick ups especially Pedro Beato.

It was interesting to see a lack of comfort between Lee and his catcher today - I got the impression that he's still not settled quite just yet.

You're right in that these mean very little, but you start to get indications, particularly when teams line up in likely starting rotations/orders against one another.

I watched your game last night vs the Nationals and thought you looked OK. Again though, another year where I wouldn't expect you to do much (and unlike the NFL, I'm not willing you to fail :na na:)

James.
01-03-2011, 09:53 PM
It was interesting to see a lack of comfort between Lee and his catcher today - I got the impression that he's still not settled quite just yet.

You're right in that these mean very little, but you start to get indications, particularly when teams line up in likely starting rotations/orders against one another.

I watched your game last night vs the Nationals and thought you looked OK. Again though, another year where I wouldn't expect you to do much (and unlike the NFL, I'm not willing you to fail :na na:)

Yeah, too many questions marks with the whole rotation and some offensive players returning to their previous best (Bay, Beltran, Reyes) Definitely asking for too much to fall into place to challenge Philadelphia and Atlanta (Good teams, something Gang Green don't face in the AFC East :na na:)

Looking at the AL Central, I think you have an outside chance of challenging the Twins. I like the look of your team more than Chicago. Always have liked the Royals though as I have Grienke (now gone) and Soria on my fantasy keeper team.

Sylar
01-03-2011, 09:59 PM
Yeah, too many questions marks with the whole rotation and some offensive players returning to their previous best (Bay, Beltran, Reyes) Definitely asking for too much to fall into place to challenge Philadelphia and Atlanta (Good teams, something Gang Green don't face in the AFC East :na na:)

Looking at the AL Central, I think you have an outside chance of challenging the Twins. I like the look of your team more than Chicago. Always have liked the Royals though as I have Grienke (now gone) and Soria on my fantasy keeper team.

You might dislike us, but you'd be hard pushed to quantify us as not being a good team :greengrin

I don't know who I fear in the AL Central - I expected the White Sox to walk the division, with the Twins challenging them and us taking our usual 3rd spot. Definitely don't see a threat from the Indians and the Royals are usually quick starters, but equally as quick to fall away - take Grienke out of their rotation though, and that's a lot of staying power out of their lineup.

It's anyone from 3 teams right now I'd say.

Sylar
04-03-2011, 09:01 AM
Ah well, after a flying start, we've lost 2 on the bounce now.

One against an Astros lineup, compiled mainly of Minor League callups and last night against a very experienced Braves lineup, in Disney.

Still, we're getting a lot of hits and not giving a large amount up!

Sylar
05-03-2011, 09:15 AM
Definitely beginning to feel like the start of a Tigers Spring Training year now.

Race to a 5-0 start against some big teams and then get blown out by teams I'd expect us to beat.

The only encouraging thing is that I know we're using a lot of Minor League players since our back to back wins vs the Yankees and Phillies.

James.
05-03-2011, 11:09 AM
That's us 3-3 after the first week - our pitching staff have performed decently and the runs have been spread around however our big hitters (except for the outstanding Pagan) have been fairly quiet. Couple of good match ups for us over the weekend - Atlanta and Boston - looking forward to them!

Marabou Stork
05-03-2011, 12:03 PM
Brewers fan here.

These words may come back to haunt me, but I've got a really good feeling about this year. After a few years to be forgotten, I think we've definitely got a decent chance of making the playoffs at the very least.

James.
05-03-2011, 12:54 PM
Brewers fan here.

These words may come back to haunt me, but I've got a really good feeling about this year. After a few years to be forgotten, I think we've definitely got a decent chance of making the playoffs at the very least.

Should be a cracking division between the Cardinals, the Brewers, the Reds and the Cubs. St Louis having a tough Spring training and have the Pujols issue to sort out, the Cubs are as luckless as Hibs so you could be in with a good shout! :greengrin

Looking forward to seeing what Zach Grienke can do in the NL - I think it could be another CY Young winning season for him. I know he's had major issues with anxiety prolems in the past but hopefully Milwaukee will be a good fit for him, can't ever see him ever ending up at a big market team like the Yankees or Red Sox because of it, so the Brewers could be ideal.

Sylar
07-03-2011, 09:11 PM
Should be a cracking division between the Cardinals, the Brewers, the Reds and the Cubs. St Louis having a tough Spring training and have the Pujols issue to sort out, the Cubs are as luckless as Hibs so you could be in with a good shout! :greengrin

Looking forward to seeing what Zach Grienke can do in the NL - I think it could be another CY Young winning season for him. I know he's had major issues with anxiety prolems in the past but hopefully Milwaukee will be a good fit for him, can't ever see him ever ending up at a big market team like the Yankees or Red Sox because of it, so the Brewers could be ideal.

Pssst - Tigers 2-1 Mets :wink:

James.
08-03-2011, 04:04 PM
Pssst - Tigers 2-1 Mets :wink:

Didn't see any of it but apparently we pitched well - thought our relief would be a big issue but they've done well so far this ST. Beltran has issues with his other knee now it seems and all he's been doing is DHing. Not good news!! Hopefully today will be Ollie's last day in a Mets uniform! :agree:

Sylar
08-03-2011, 04:40 PM
Didn't see any of it but apparently we pitched well - thought our relief would be a big issue but they've done well so far this ST. Beltran has issues with his other knee now it seems and all he's been doing is DHing. Not good news!! Hopefully today will be Ollie's last day in a Mets uniform! :agree:

That was without a few of your key players it has to be said, particularly David Wright who was still sidelined.

I thought your pitching was pretty comfortable - gave up a few hits, but managed to get out of innings quite quickly in response.

I'm delighted with a lot of our young guns thus far.

Sylar
10-03-2011, 11:06 AM
You should be a happier Mets fan today then AH, as I notice Perez has been taken out of the competition for a starting place!

We lost 5-3 to the Phillies last night in what was actually a very productive game in the batters box for us, racking up 11 hits, but only bring 3 of them home.

We travel to face the Marlins tonight, with them having already beaten us once in Spring Training.

If anyone is so inclined and can find the game (It's on MLB.tv - I'd hoped it would be on ESPN America too, but the Big East QF's are on), then the Red Sox and the Rays are facing off in Tampa today :agree: - these are usually quite fiery games in what has become a really good rivalry in recent years.

Sylar
13-03-2011, 07:13 PM
A good weekend for us in Spring Training, as we jumped to the top of the Grapefruit League in Fl.

A narrow win against a good Blue Jays lineup yesterday (4-3) and a bit of a blowout against the Orioles today, 9-1.

We're managing to get so many hits from the plate just now and for the most part, our defense look unbelievably solid.

Our secondary squad lost to the Astros this afternoon, but even so, still managed 9 hits and only gave up 3 runs, which considering the number of minor league players, is encouraging.

Still a few questions to be answered in our rotation and also a few players we're still waiting news from (Carlos Guillen especially), but we're looking strong early doors :agree:

I see it looks like Johan Santana is going to be ready to go quicker than the reports last week suggested, intimating the Mets may be ready to send him out to a special clinic and then redirect him to the minors to get his arm back to full strength.

James.
13-03-2011, 08:41 PM
Conflicting reports on Santana - some saying he's on target and others saying that the Mets were shutting him down today and preparing for him missing the whole season.

The Tigers are doing well although have to admit I've not seen or followed them as closely as some of the NL teams - been impressed with what I've seen of the Braves so far too, Hudson was excellent yesterday and Jurjens pitched 5 impressive innings today even if it was only against Houston.

Sylar
15-03-2011, 05:22 PM
Been a good match-up this afternoon between the Tigers and the Red Sox with it being a proper pitching battle thus far between Justin Verlander and Matsuzaka.

Currently, the Red Sox lead 1-0, after a HR from Elsbury in the bottom of the 5th.

I got caught out last night actually as the clocks shot forward an hour in the US on Sunday, so the games are now an hour earlier, so I was quite surprised to tune in at 6.05pm for the first pitch, only to note we were in the middle of the 5th :greengrin - Ended up beating the Nationals 4-2 after racking up 3 runs in the 6th.

Sylar
15-03-2011, 05:32 PM
As an aside, if anyone is interested, the first rivalry match-up between the Red Sox and Yankees (from yesterday) is currently showing on ESPN America.

Wasn't the best of games mind you (I watched it live).

DH1875
15-03-2011, 06:10 PM
As an aside, if anyone is interested, the first rivalry match-up between the Red Sox and Yankees (from yesterday) is currently showing on ESPN America.

Wasn't the best of games mind you (I watched it live).

Watched the highlights :boo hoo:. Poor, poor game.

heretoday
17-03-2011, 11:33 AM
Cleveland?

Maybe next year......:rolleyes:

Sylar
17-03-2011, 12:40 PM
Cleveland?

Maybe next year......:rolleyes:

The heydays of the Indians have well and truly come and gone (which, as a Tigers fan, I ain't hating).

On the plus side for you, at least Grady Sizemore looks likely to return this weekend.

heretoday
17-03-2011, 04:02 PM
Great days for the Tribe in the 90s. What a line-up of bats they had.

I still have nightmares about WS Game 7 against Florida!

Dashing Bob S
19-03-2011, 02:38 AM
This is the Pirates year - the rest are just making up the numbers.

Dirkster23
19-03-2011, 05:03 PM
This is the Pirates year - the rest are just making up the numbers.

Unfortunately for the Pirates the rest are likely to be making up the numbers 1-29 :greengrin

Sylar
22-03-2011, 10:34 AM
I'm absolutely delighted with how our Spring Training has gone thus far and I'm a bit less fearful of going to opening day against the Yankees in NY.

Our bats are blistering hot just now and we're beating some good teams (Red Sox, Phillies, Marlins, Braves...) along the way.

Currently 18-9 atop the Grapefruit League and looking much more comfortable than I ever expected - no doubt it'll all fall apart come opening day, in typical Tigers fashion :greengrin

We host the Mets in Lakeland tonight, with live coverage on MLB.tv from 5.05pm with ESPN America showing the Yankees facing up against AL East rivals, Baltimore at the same time.

Sylar
22-03-2011, 02:09 PM
If any of you are Facebook users and don't have either ESPN America or MLB.tv, join the MLB page on Facebook, who are streaming a live game free every day of Spring Training :agree:

Sadly, it's the Yankees vs Orioles today :taxi

Sylar
22-03-2011, 04:40 PM
Bah - bad start - top of the 2nd, 2 out, bases loaded with the count at 3-2 and Brad Penny throws a fastball right in the middle of the plate. Grand slam Mets, who lead 4-0.

James.
22-03-2011, 04:48 PM
Bah - bad start - top of the 2nd, 2 out, bases loaded with the count at 3-2 and Brad Penny throws a fastball right in the middle of the plate. Grand slam Mets, who lead 4-0.

5 - 0

Good week
for the Mets. Chris Young was tremendous yesterday, David Wright has been looking good of late also! :thumbsup:

Sylar
22-03-2011, 05:52 PM
5 - 0

Good week
for the Mets. Chris Young was tremendous yesterday, David Wright has been looking good of late also! :thumbsup:

Blinding response in the bottom of the 2nd, rallying back to 5-4 and keeping the door shut until the bottom of the 5th, where we are just now!

James.
22-03-2011, 08:15 PM
Blinding response in the bottom of the 2nd, rallying back to 5-4 and keeping the door shut until the bottom of the 5th, where we are just now!

The Amazins demonstrating their vast superiority in those last two innings! Can't fault these guys that have been auditioning for spots in the bullpen this Spring Training!

Sylar
22-03-2011, 10:25 PM
The Amazins demonstrating their vast superiority in those last two innings! Can't fault these guys that have been auditioning for spots in the bullpen this Spring Training!

You're probably the first team I've seen who have properly outbatted us throughout Spring Training.

You're a completely different side when you add Reyes and Wright into the lineup and if they can stay healthy, you might just secure a wildcard berth.

We were missing a few first team regulars and Penny is still settling into his spot in the rotation. He'll undoubtedly be a great signing as we progress through the season though as he brings a wealth of experience into our pitching staff.

Part/Time Supporter
23-03-2011, 08:46 AM
Thought i'd share a little map with you fellow baseball nuts. It's about the geographic fan base of each MLB club. Always cynical about those things, we get into Jambo 400,000 nonsense, but it's apparently based on ST purchases and fan surveys over a five year period, and it sort of rings true.

For instance, the Cubs are the Illnois suburbanite frat boy club, with the White Sox firmly rooted in Chicago's South Side and the industrial rust-belt South Side diaspora.

The Pirates? Well, they've been kind to us by crediting us with any support at all.

http://strangemaps.files.wordpress.com/2007/08/835641802_ef422b12cf_b1.jpg

The Pirates and Nationals "areas" stretch ludicrously far south.

Dashing Bob S
25-03-2011, 12:49 AM
The Pirates and Nationals "areas" stretch ludicrously far south.

The Pirates areas stretch ludicrously far a couple of blocks from the stadium in any direction.

We begin our defense of the wooden spoon on April 1st, with a visit to those other lovable losers, the Chicago Cubs. At least with a couple of victories against us under their belt, the Chicago Northsiders will have at least one weekend of drunken delusion that this will finally be their year.

hibsbollah
25-03-2011, 05:01 AM
The Pirates areas stretch ludicrously far a couple of blocks from the stadium in any direction.

We begin our defense of the wooden spoon on April 1st, with a visit to those other lovable losers, the Chicago Cubs. At least with a couple of victories against us under their belt, the Chicago Northsiders will have at least one weekend of drunken delusion that this will finally be their year.

...and hopefully send the pirates back to the rust belt for another long season of staid presbyterian misery while we knock back the beer in wrigley field and check our share options on our blackberries.

(cliche alert)

Dashing Bob S
25-03-2011, 12:24 PM
...and hopefully send the pirates back to the rust belt for another long season of staid presbyterian misery while we knock back the beer in wrigley field and check our share options on our blackberries.

(cliche alert)

Cliches are all I have left. HB. It's not so easy supporting the worst team in the USA, who also happen to come from the New World's Motherwell. And, as you hint, we don't even have a strip like Clark Street stuffed with bars full of 'ganting on it' filly's who've bunked off their office jobs looking for alcohol and romance.

I'm cursed by my loyalty, should have jumped ship to the Yankees years ago.

hibsbollah
25-03-2011, 01:00 PM
Cliches are all I have left. HB. It's not so easy supporting the worst team in the USA, who also happen to come from the New World's Motherwell. And, as you hint, we don't even have a strip like Clark Street stuffed with bars full of 'ganting on it' filly's who've bunked off their office jobs looking for alcohol and romance.

I'm cursed by my loyalty, should have jumped ship to the Yankees years ago.

Come over to the Cubbies Bob, the water's lovely. Its all beer beer beer for us cornfed blueblood WASPs. If the 9th inning finishes in time there might be time for a quick chukka of polo at the Grosse Point Country Club.

(edit- arent the Tigers the worst team in baseball anyway?)

Sylar
25-03-2011, 02:02 PM
Come over to the Cubbies Bob, the water's lovely. Its all beer beer beer for us cornfed blueblood WASPs. If the 9th inning finishes in time there might be time for a quick chukka of polo at the Grosse Point Country Club.

(edit- arent the Tigers the worst team in baseball anyway?)

Plus, being a Cubs fan, you can expect a shorter season and move onto something just in time. Completely Useless By September indeed.

We're far from being the "worst team in baseball". We narrowly missed out on the post-season last year, losing out to a 9th inning playoff run to the Twins. We were represented in the post-season a couple of years ago and made the World Series in '06.

Dashing Bob is indeed correct - Pirates had the lowest percentage last year of .352, with 57 wins and 105 defeats.

Dashing Bob S
25-03-2011, 02:55 PM
Plus, being a Cubs fan, you can expect a shorter season and move onto something just in time. Completely Useless By September indeed.

We're far from being the "worst team in baseball". We narrowly missed out on the post-season last year, losing out to a 9th inning playoff run to the Twins. We were represented in the post-season a couple of years ago and made the World Series in '06.

Dashing Bob is indeed correct - Pirates had the lowest percentage last year of .352, with 57 wins and 105 defeats.

Yes, yes, yes, rub it in and make me even more miserable. And there's nothing whatsoever to suggest this will change in the coming season.

Sylar
25-03-2011, 06:39 PM
Yes, yes, yes, rub it in and make me even more miserable. And there's nothing whatsoever to suggest this will change in the coming season.

I'd agree you have a long season ahead - however, fear not - the Mariners and Royals look equally deplorable :wink:

Part/Time Supporter
26-03-2011, 07:04 AM
I'd agree you have a long season ahead - however, fear not - the Mariners and Royals look equally deplorable :wink:

I dunno about that, the Indians seem to be succeeding in their attempt to stir memories of Major League.

Look at this ****in guy (Charlie Sheen) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0KvuVPtJBk)

The wit and wisdom of Lou Brown (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DouPRc4-ixw)

One goddamn hit (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9myYc8Pn8o)

James.
26-03-2011, 10:18 AM

The Royals are apparently sorted with the most talented and loaded farm system in the league. This could be their last year of being the AL Centrals whipping boys!

Despite picking up a bit this week, the Marlins also look really poor.

Dashing Bob S
26-03-2011, 04:27 PM
The Royals are apparently sorted with the most talented and loaded farm system in the league. This could be their last year of being the AL Centrals whipping boys!

Despite picking up a bit this week, the Marlins also look really poor.

I think the Marlins are treading water until they get into their new stadium next season. It looks pretty tasty:

http://mlb.mlb.com/fla/ballpark/webcam.jsp

It's certainly what the ugly, deserted concrete jungle that is downtown Miami needs. It's also what Marlins need, instead of having 7,000 fans sweating away in the Dolphins stadium between Miami and Fort Lauderdale.

However, it's on the site of the old Orange Bowl (college football) and is in Little Havana, in a residential quarter and thus somewhat bereft of the neighbourhood bars which makes going to baseball such a pleasure at grounds like the Red Sox, Yankees and Cubs. Lets hope these eventually appear, perhaps like in Tampa, which has a great swathe of al fresco drinking dens by the stadium.

heretoday
27-03-2011, 05:02 PM
Go Tribe!!!! :dancer:

Dashing Bob S
27-03-2011, 05:19 PM
I'm absolutely delighted with how our Spring Training has gone thus far and I'm a bit less fearful of going to opening day against the Yankees in NY.

Our bats are blistering hot just now and we're beating some good teams (Red Sox, Phillies, Marlins, Braves...) along the way.

Currently 18-9 atop the Grapefruit League and looking much more comfortable than I ever expected - no doubt it'll all fall apart come opening day, in typical Tigers fashion :greengrin

We host the Mets in Lakeland tonight, with live coverage on MLB.tv from 5.05pm with ESPN America showing the Yankees facing up against AL East rivals, Baltimore at the same time.

Ain't blowin smoke up your ass here, cause the Tigers are ess-haitch-eye-tee-ee, one notch above my own hapless but beloved Pirates, but I fancy Detroit off to get a decent start against the sluggish, bloated, overrated Yankees. They traditionally start slowly before imposing their tiresome hegemony on the sport.

I will be be stripey-furred for that particular contest, as will the sensible half of America.

Sylar
27-03-2011, 06:19 PM
Ain't blowin smoke up your ass here, cause the Tigers are ess-haitch-eye-tee-ee, one notch above my own hapless but beloved Pirates, but I fancy Detroit off to get a decent start against the sluggish, bloated, overrated Yankees. They traditionally start slowly before imposing their tiresome hegemony on the sport.

I will be be stripey-furred for that particular contest, as will the sensible half of America.

I don't understand this assertion that the Tigers are a bad team. We have a good, young roster, with perhaps the best 3,4 and 5 in the league in Ordonez, Cabrera and Martinez and have a very good rotation (combined ERA of 2.78 through Spring and Verlander himself has an ERA of 1.03) and bullpen for a change.

A lot of the youngsters who are coming through (Jackson, Raburn, Wells, Sizemore and Rhymes) look very accomplished and ready to walk into the starting lineup.

The White Sox don't look as strong as last season and the Twins will be heavily dependent on how long they can keep Morneau and Mauer healthy.

I'd fancy us to have a good shot at a wildcard berth at worst.

Sylar
28-03-2011, 08:26 PM
I don't understand this assertion that the Tigers are a bad team. We have a good, young roster, with perhaps the best 3,4 and 5 in the league in Ordonez, Cabrera and Martinez and have a very good rotation (combined ERA of 2.78 through Spring and Verlander himself has an ERA of 1.03) and bullpen for a change.

A lot of the youngsters who are coming through (Jackson, Raburn, Wells, Sizemore and Rhymes) look very accomplished and ready to walk into the starting lineup.

The White Sox don't look as strong as last season and the Twins will be heavily dependent on how long they can keep Morneau and Mauer healthy.

He says as the Orioles smash us 14 to 6, in spite of us racking up 14 hits :greengrin

Our rookie pitcher gave up 12 runs in 3 innings - no real surprise he's not being touted for a place in the starting rotation and is expected to be sent to Toledo!

Dashing Bob S
29-03-2011, 02:00 PM

Disagree with the White Sox contention, I think they'll be stronger this season and the team to beat in the American Central. I think the Twins -for the reasons you suggest- are a team in decline. If Tigers are going to muscle into the play-offs picture they are going to have to pass the White Sox.

But the great beauty of baseball is that, unlike most other sports, you never really know at this point in the season - which is why it fascinates me. Two things I am sure is that the Phillies look scary with that pitching roster and the Pirates...well, you know the rest.

DH1875
30-03-2011, 03:39 PM
He says as the Orioles smash us 14 to 6, in spite of us racking up 14 hits :greengrin

Our rookie pitcher gave up 12 runs in 3 innings - no real surprise he's not being touted for a place in the starting rotation and is expected to be sent to Toledo!

I was hoping he'd be playing tomorrow:greengrin.
Nice to see we beat the Tigers, always good to get one up on Story so Far :wink:(really going to have to remember your name). Fancy your chances over the weekend? Or you getting ready for a losing start to the season:na na:.

Sylar
30-03-2011, 06:29 PM
I was hoping he'd be playing tomorrow:greengrin.
Nice to see we beat the Tigers, always good to get one up on Story so Far :wink:(really going to have to remember your name). Fancy your chances over the weekend? Or you getting ready for a losing start to the season:na na:.

I quite genuinely can't make my mind up. I go from thinking we have a good chance to worrying you'll batter us.

I like our team and our bats are red hot - In a batters park like Yankee stadium, we should get more runs than our hits collected during Spring Training.

It'll be intriguing to watch the Verlander vs Sabbathia matchup.

DH1875
30-03-2011, 07:10 PM
It'll be intriguing to watch the Verlander vs Sabbathia matchup.

Intresting fact about Verlander is that this will be his 4th opening day start, having won 0.

hibsbollah
30-03-2011, 07:15 PM
Disagree with the White Sox contention, I think they'll be stronger this season and the team to beat in the American Central. I think the Twins -for the reasons you suggest- are a team in decline. If Tigers are going to muscle into the play-offs picture they are going to have to pass the White Sox.

But the great beauty of baseball is that, unlike most other sports, you never really know at this point in the season - which is why it fascinates me. Two things I am sure is that the Phillies look scary with that pitching roster and the Pirates...well, you know the rest.

I have a definite feeling for the Twins this year.

Sylar
30-03-2011, 08:58 PM
Intresting fact about Verlander is that this will be his 4th opening day start, having won 0.

It's a Tiger's tradition for us to start slowly in all honesty.

You can't argue with his career numbers though. He'll also be going into this game ludicrously high in confidence, finishing Spring Training with an ERA of 0.96, which is utterly phenomenal!

SlickShoes
31-03-2011, 10:50 AM
I just got MLB.tv on my PS3 last night and I am now ready to start watching! Looking forward to it filling up my summer!

Sylar
31-03-2011, 06:02 PM
We have liftoff on the 2011 season :thumbsup:

Nervy encounter thus far in the new Yankee stadium. Sabbathia with 3 K's thus far but the Tigers with a cagey 1-0 lead in the bottom of the 3rd.

Sylar
31-03-2011, 06:11 PM
Wow - crushing home run from Mark Teixeria into the second tier of right field.

3-1 New York.

SlickShoes
31-03-2011, 06:22 PM
We have liftoff on the 2011 season :thumbsup:

Nervy encounter thus far in the new Yankee stadium. Sabbathia with 3 K's thus far but the Tigers with a cagey 1-0 lead in the bottom of the 3rd.

3-1 now for the yanks haha, ive not seen Miguel Cabrera since about 2006/7 but DAMN he has packed on the weight!

hibsbollah
31-03-2011, 06:46 PM
3-2 now in the 5th, really close game. Tigers getting plenty runners on base without scoring.

Correia pitches for Pirates v Cubs tomorrow. Not only has he terrible career stats...he looks like michael stewart. I predict a cubs win and correia to fall over spectacularly while swinging his leg at an empty drinks bottle.

Sylar
31-03-2011, 06:47 PM
3-1 now for the yanks haha, ive not seen Miguel Cabrera since about 2006/7 but DAMN he has packed on the weight!

The TV does make him look quite fat - seen him last season in the flesh and he's pure muscle - his numbers are certainly the envy of most batters in the majors.

Tied again at 3-3 - good game, but I can see the Yankees beating us :agree:

hibsbollah
31-03-2011, 07:38 PM
Oooof i bet you wish you hadnt traded Granderson now. 4-3 yankees.

Sylar
31-03-2011, 07:40 PM
Oooof i bet you wish you hadnt traded Granderson now. 4-3 yankees.

I've never understood us getting rid of him - he's easily one of the best leadoff hitters in the league, has pace in abundance and can knock it out the park 30+ times a season.

Money was extremely tight in the '09 season though, with the motor industry starting to crash in Detroit and he was one of the bigger earners.

I sincerely hope we have another option for our 5th rotation spot - Coke is the one BIG worry I've had about our lineup since we started Spring Training.

Edit: I also hope that other option is NOT Ryan Perry. Here's the inning which costs us Opening Day.

Sylar
31-03-2011, 07:52 PM
The Yankees pitching staff have impressed me today :agree:

Sabbathia only gave up 2 ER, Chamberlain (despite looking like a ludicrously overweight slob) fanned 3 batters without issue and Soriano looks like a pretty good acquisition RP.

We won't come back from this - a typical slow start to the season looking likely.

James.
31-03-2011, 09:08 PM
Its quite scary who the Yanks can call on out of that bullpen - Joba, Soriano, Rivera, Feliciano. Good for them to see Texeria get off to a good start too as hes notorious for having slow starts to the season.

Braves win against the Nats. Brewers leading the Reds in the 9th.

Edit: ANOTHER walk off win for the Reds. last year their first six wins all came from their last at bat! Bit of trivia - the Brewers started off their season with two home runs in their first two at bats - last time a team did that was 42 years ago and it was the Reds themselves.

Part/Time Supporter
01-04-2011, 05:38 PM
Cleveland bans all pro sports (http://www.cleveland.com/ohio-sports-blog/index.ssf/2011/04/cleveland_bans_all_pro_sports.html)

:greengrin

Dashing Bob S
01-04-2011, 08:42 PM
Pirates currently tearing Cubs a new one at Wrigley Fields, but starting to shake in the bottom of the 7th and I can see us blowing it. After all, we are the Pirates. A miserably raining day in Chitown.

Dashing Bob S
01-04-2011, 09:30 PM
Go Pirates! Another season if mediocrity for the rub-a-dub-dubs ahead, methinks.

hibsbollah
01-04-2011, 09:33 PM
Well done Bob and the Bucs. Looks like anoher long hard season for the Cubs...

Dashing Bob S
01-04-2011, 10:09 PM
Watching a cracker in Cleveland, 14-9 White Sox.

Dashing Bob S
01-04-2011, 10:19 PM
15-10 White Sox. A cracker. sox went 14-0 in first 4 innings then went to sleep and Indians took the next 5 10-1.

SlickShoes
02-04-2011, 08:27 AM
See the A's got off to an excellent start! Deary me!

Watched some good games so far, totally overwhelmed by MLB.tv having access to every game is just awesome!

Dashing Bob S
02-04-2011, 04:18 PM
Beautiful spring day in Chicago, in contrast to yesterday's cold rain, as the Pirates attempt to hold on to this season's 100% in the battle of baseball's perenial losers.

Yar me hearties!

hibsbollah
02-04-2011, 07:44 PM
Hot 8th inning for the Cubbies, now 3-3.
I'm loving this MLB.tv:greengrin

And a win!!! 5-3.

We have two decent pitchers in our rotation, and both of them (Zambrano and Dempster), have been smashed around in their first two outings. Just as well we have such a good bullpen-i'd rather have Marmol closing out a game than almost anyone else in the league.

Dashing Bob S
03-04-2011, 03:21 AM
Yuck - in easy street, then folded like a pack of cards. Normal service resumed.

James.
03-04-2011, 09:39 AM
Willie Harris will be getting MVP chants at our home opener if he keeps up this form for the rest of the week :greengrin

Relatively happy with our start. Would be nice to get the win today before heading to Philly and facing THAT rotation.

James.
03-04-2011, 05:47 PM
Anyone getting a no volume message on MLB.tv :confused: - given up and listening to the radio broadcast (Howie Rose our announcer also does the Islander games - he's got my dream job)

Harris continues to shine for us. Dickey's knuckleball very effective early doors.

Sylar
03-04-2011, 09:12 PM
Finally, a bloody win at last! :greengrin

James.
03-04-2011, 10:08 PM
Think I may have cursed the Rays by picking them to go all the way - swept by the Os and Longoria now on the DL. Red Sox off to a poor start too.

hibsbollah
04-04-2011, 10:21 AM
Pirates beat cubs 5-4 to win the series. The defeat couldnt be more cubs-like; we scored a double thanks to the pirates centre fielder Jones getting doused with beer as he and an inebriated fan tried to grab the ball at the same time. Classy cubs.

Dashing Bob S
04-04-2011, 12:50 PM
Pirates beat cubs 5-4 to win the series. The defeat couldnt be more cubs-like; we scored a double thanks to the pirates centre fielder Jones getting doused with beer as he and an inebriated fan tried to grab the ball at the same time. Classy cubs.

Did you little good against those all-conquering swashbuckling heroes. Bring on the Phillies in the World Series this October. Yar!

Shrekko
04-04-2011, 02:05 PM
Did you little good against those all-conquering swashbuckling heroes. Bring on the Phillies in the World Series this October. Yar!

That would be a special occasion- a World Series featuring 2 National League teams!

C'mon Bob- it you're going to keep on kidding on you're a Pirates fan at least remember what league they play in :wink:

Dashing Bob S
04-04-2011, 04:52 PM
That would be a special occasion- a World Series featuring 2 National League teams!

C'mon Bob- it you're going to keep on kidding on you're a Pirates fan at least remember what league they play in :wink:

:shotdowni

SlickShoes
06-04-2011, 10:26 AM
The A's remind me so much of hibs.

Watched last nights game until 5-0, went to bed because the stream was bugging a bit and jumping around. Get up this morning to find that we managed to lose 7-6.

Deary me! Our starters look great but the bullpen is not up to much so far.

Marabou Stork
06-04-2011, 11:58 AM
It appears I've put the curse on the Brewers. We've had a shocking start to the season. We've got to build on the win now though and give both the Braves and the Cubs a doing in our next handful of games.

Part/Time Supporter
09-04-2011, 06:45 PM
The all-conquering Red Sox start 0-6 before winning their first game, against NYY. Their sixth loss against the Indians was particularly hilarious. Lester pitched well but was matched by Carmona. Bard comes in and walks a punch-and-judy hitter, allows him to steal second and the go-ahead run is scored on a suicide squeeze. The Red Sox then get the tying run on in the ninth, but the final out is made by the pinch runner running too far past second base and falling on his arse.

:faf:

I am now watching them play their second game against the Yankees. Joe Buck still has that annoying sore throat. Take him off air already.

:grr:

hibsbollah
09-04-2011, 06:56 PM
The all-conquering Red Sox start 0-6 before winning their first game, against NYY. Their sixth loss against the Indians was particularly hilarious. Lester pitched well but was matched by Carmona. Bard comes in and walks a punch-and-judy hitter, allows him to steal second and the go-ahead run is scored on a suicide squeeze. The Red Sox then get the tying run on in the ninth, but the final out is made by the pinch runner running too far past second base and falling on his arse.

I am now watching them play their second game against the Yankees. Joe Buck still has that annoying sore throat. Take him off air already.

Yankees going to win this one and put Boston on 1-7. Incredible for a team of their calibre. Braves- Phillies should be a good un later.

Part/Time Supporter
09-04-2011, 07:13 PM
Yankees going to win this one and put Boston on 1-7. Incredible for a team of their calibre. Braves- Phillies should be a good un later.

I don't think either the Yanks or Sawx are that good this year - insufficient starting pitching, Lester and Sabathia being the only reliable starter in each rotation. I think both will be doing well to stay in contention and then look to add pitching from struggling teams in July. I wouldn't rule out a third team coming through in the division and shocking them (Baltimore???).

DH1875
10-04-2011, 04:35 PM
I just got MLB.tv on my PS3 last night and I am now ready to start watching! Looking forward to it filling up my summer!

How does that work?

It's always a good day when you beat the Red Sox and looking forward to tonights game. Long may their great start to the season continue :greengrin.

Dashing Bob S
10-04-2011, 07:07 PM

Going to a tough season for the Red Sox. Any team that signs busted flush Bobby Jenks as closer is a little desperate.

heretoday
10-04-2011, 08:39 PM
There is baseball commentary on Radio Five Live Sport Extra, unfortunately accompanied by some laddish remarks from a UK studio during the US adverts.

It's Phillies at Atlanta.

Sylar
12-04-2011, 10:19 AM
Well, I'm glad I was able to enjoy Spring Training, as it looks like it's going to be a long season - plenty of hits, but very few runs being generated right now.

Bottom of the AL Central, with the very surprising (and unfancied) Indians sitting pretty right now.

Still VERY early mind you - The Baltimore Orioles are making a lot of people eat their words early doors - they've flown out of the traps in the AL East.

Tampa Bay smashed the Red Sox last night 16-5 at Fenway!

SlickShoes
12-04-2011, 10:32 AM
How does that work?

It's always a good day when you beat the Red Sox and looking forward to tonights game. Long may their great start to the season continue :greengrin.

You can get the MLB.tv app from the US PS3 Store. You create a new account on your PS3 with american name and address and you just download the app. Then log into your normal PS3 account and start it up and link it to your MLB.com account and you can watch every game in glorious HD from the comfort of your sofa!

Been great for me so far watched loads of games.

Pleased to see the A's are getting some wins on the board now, i cant see us getting any better than finishing with a record around .500 though.

James.
12-04-2011, 11:16 AM
Same Old Mets

Reyes, Wright and Davis are on fire - however our bullpen absolutely suck.

DH1875
12-04-2011, 06:42 PM
You can get the MLB.tv app from the US PS3 Store. You create a new account on your PS3 with american name and address and you just download the app. Then log into your normal PS3 account and start it up and link it to your MLB.com account and you can watch every game in glorious HD from the comfort of your sofa!

Pleased to see the A's are getting some wins on the board now, i cant see us getting any better than finishing with a record around .500 though.

Will it work on my TV though or will I have to apply the changes you said about regarding playing the game on the PS3?

SlickShoes
14-04-2011, 09:38 AM
Will it work on my TV though or will I have to apply the changes you said about regarding playing the game on the PS3?

Nah it should just work, in reply to your problems with the demo, i have no idea how to fix it if other things work from the US it be a problem with that specific demo. I havent even downloaded it!

Spending too much time watching MLB.tv to bother playing the game too! I think my mrs would go nuts!

Sylar
14-04-2011, 09:49 AM
Back to back walk off wins against the Rangers at Commerica :thumbsup:

I do love it when we pump the Rangers :wink:

James.
14-04-2011, 11:45 AM
Back to back walk off wins against the Rangers at Commerica :thumbsup:

I do love it when we pump the Rangers :wink:

Texas look in trouble - losing Hamilton with that dive to the home plate, in fact Pagan did exactly the same last night against the Rockies and I immediately thought he had done himself some damage.

Not been following the AL too closely but the Yankees look supreme at the moment. A Rod is killing it.

The_Todd
18-04-2011, 08:46 PM
My team, the Pirates, are perenial losers and I expect nothing of them. Even in their home town, nobody cares, everyone just loves the Steelers in the NFL. The best we could have done was relocated our moribund franchise to Vegas, instead of building a new stadium nobody wants to go to. It would also have balanced the leagues, with the same number of teams in each of the six divisions.

Arr, another Pirate!

I'll be honest, I know little about baseball but since I have ESPN I've been watching it and I'm pleasantly suprised by how much I actually enjoy it. As I'm a Penguins fan (and less so a Steelers fan) I thought I'd make it a hat-trick of the Pittsburgh teams - so I'd happily see the Pirates stay put!

Supporting the Penguins is usually at odds with my Hibs supporting, as I usually expect (nay, demand!) a Penguins victory - so the Pirates are more "my level" of team too. :wink:

Sylar
18-04-2011, 09:47 PM
Arr, another Pirate!

I'll be honest, I know little about baseball but since I have ESPN I've been watching it and I'm pleasantly suprised by how much I actually enjoy it. As I'm a Penguins fan (and less so a Steelers fan) I thought I'd make it a hat-trick of the Pittsburgh teams - so I'd happily see the Pirates stay put!

Supporting the Penguins is usually at odds with my Hibs supporting, as I usually expect (nay, demand!) a Penguins victory - so the Pirates are more "my level" of team too. :wink:

Ugh - ****ing Penguins indeed - my team's don't all exist in the same city, but my baseball team and ice hockey team are consistent.

Sadly, the only consistency we've had in our start to the season is inconsistency itself!

Dashing Bob S
19-04-2011, 01:29 PM
Arr, another Pirate!

Pirates rule! We're .500 + at this stage of the season! Giddy heights indeed. Savour this inexplicable phenomenon now, as like all good things...

SlickShoes
19-04-2011, 01:46 PM
Most of the A's pitching so far has been excellent, but when the bats don't work we lose, too many games with only 1 or less runs scored!

Stoney Hibee
20-04-2011, 12:17 PM

You can also watch MLB.tv via Apple TV. I picked up one for £75 quid on Ebay, just log in and watch it in HD on your big TV. Red Sox and A's at 8:30 tonight:thumbsup:

hibsbollah
21-04-2011, 05:26 PM
Cubs Dominican shortstop Starlin Castro has had an amazing start to the season. Batting .375 and leading the league in hits...he's the youngest player in the league at 21 and a few days...and already probably our key offensive player. Bound to get injured.

James.
21-04-2011, 05:44 PM
Now officially our worst start in franchise history. One paltry win at citi field and we've been hosting teams like the Nationals and the Astros!

Sylar
21-04-2011, 07:04 PM
Now officially our worst start in franchise history. One paltry win at citi field and we've been hosting teams like the Nationals and the Astros!

I did notice you were 5-13 (Worst record in the Majors thus far).

Makes our rather abysmal 9-10 record seem quite respectable, though we are 4.5 games behind the Indians already.

On the plus side, my Red Wings look like proper contenders for the Stanley Cup :greengrin

James.
21-04-2011, 09:04 PM
Not that I was around in 1962 but Casey Stengel had a brilliant quote along the lines of "Come see my "Amazin' Mets, I've been in this game a hundred years, but I see new ways to lose I never knew existed before." That sums up the team at the moment.

Don't even mention the NHL, my Islanders must rival the Mets for NY's most irrelevant franchise at the moment. Although good to see Grabner up for the Calder Trophy - absolute steal off the waiver wire.

Part/Time Supporter
21-04-2011, 09:17 PM
Mets fans must be hoping for a Dodgers-style "intervention" by MLB.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/Major-League-Baseball-to-take-control-of-Los-Angeles-Dodgers-financial-operations-042011

Bloomin' heck, I hope this doesn't give the SPL any bright ideas wrt the Huns.

Sylar
21-04-2011, 09:50 PM
Not that I was around in 1962 but Casey Stengel had a brilliant quote along the lines of "Come see my "Amazin' Mets, I've been in this game a hundred years, but I see new ways to lose I never knew existed before." That sums up the team at the moment.

Don't even mention the NHL, my Islanders must rival the Mets for NY's most irrelevant franchise at the moment. Although good to see Grabner up for the Calder Trophy - absolute steal off the waiver wire.

Don't worry, it won't last long - the NFL season will be underway before you know it and the Jets will proudly boast that title again :greengrin

Dashing Bob S
24-04-2011, 04:08 AM
Have good box seats for the Yankees versus White Sox on Tuesday. No affection for the Yankees, but my first visit to the new Yankee Stadium. Anybody been? What's it like compared to the old place next door?

Sylar
25-04-2011, 10:29 AM
We finally have a winning record and are now only 1.5 games back on the AL West leading Indians!

Yankees are absolutely storming away in the AL East thus far...

SlickShoes
25-04-2011, 12:10 PM
Not been able to watch it really since the playstation network went down last wednesday! Getting withdrawls! Did see that the A's are still doing as badly as before with terrible inconsistency!

Dirkster23
25-04-2011, 08:01 PM
Have good box seats for the Yankees versus White Sox on Tuesday. No affection for the Yankees, but my first visit to the new Yankee Stadium. Anybody been? What's it like compared to the old place next door?

Keep your eyes on the crowd Bob, i believe there's a well known Hibs fan that now follows the White Sox!

Dashing Bob S
25-04-2011, 10:39 PM
Keep your eyes on the crowd Bob, i believe there's a well known Hibs fan that now follows the White Sox!

The White Sox could very well be challengers to my beloved Pirates for the spoon this season. They couldn't pitch a tent. I fancy a Yankees sweep.

Shrekko
25-04-2011, 11:34 PM
:tee hee:

Shrekko
25-04-2011, 11:58 PM

The new stadium is beautiful but then again that's in the eye of the beholder. I'm sure a cliched 'YH' such as your goodself may choose to see it as symbolic of all the terrible ills (most of which dont actually exist) that the NYY bring to the world.

The club have done a pretty amazing job of creating somewhere that although much more modern, still gives you a feeling of being in Yankee Stadium. The design, the fact they brought over some of the old stuff etc etc. is great. Unfortunately however, it's impossible to properly recreate what was there before in terms of the history etc so the actual game day/night experience is not a patch on what it was before.

With all the huge open concourses where you can still see the game, the big halls etc, there's more a feel of a social gathering than a sporting occasion and it's unbelievable how few folk are sitting in their seats during the game. It does look nice however and the place can still rock on big nights. The claim that the club have priced hardcore fans out the game seems to ring true though as it's not as boisterous as before most nights.

If you can get along early, monument park is still worth a visit and the inside of the stadium is great for a walk around. They have a museum inside which is small but still good to have a look at.

Part/Time Supporter
27-04-2011, 06:03 AM
Ryan Raburn pulls a Jose Canseco (sort of)

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20110426&content_id=18276054&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0EJBlUiZS0

Sylar
27-04-2011, 07:28 AM
I'm glad for him it wasn't decisive in the end.

We're never going to win a game with Phil Coke on the mound. Simple as...

Dashing Bob S
28-04-2011, 01:23 PM
The new stadium is beautiful but then again that's in the eye of the beholder. I'm sure a cliched 'YH' such as your goodself may choose to see it as symbolic of all the terrible ills (most of which dont actually exist) that the NYY bring to the world.

The club have done a pretty amazing job of creating somewhere that although much more modern, still gives you a feeling of being in Yankee Stadium. The design, the fact they brought over some of the old stuff etc etc. is great. Unfortunately however, it's impossible to properly recreate what was there before in terms of the history etc so the actual game day/night experience is not a patch on what it was before.

With all the huge open concourses where you can still see the game, the big halls etc, there's more a feel of a social gathering than a sporting occasion and it's unbelievable how few folk are sitting in their seats during the game. It does look nice however and the place can still rock on big nights. The claim that the club have priced hardcore fans out the game seems to ring true though as it's not as boisterous as before most nights.

If you can get along early, monument park is still worth a visit and the inside of the stadium is great for a walk around. They have a museum inside which is small but still good to have a look at.

Pretty much a spot-on assessment, F10. I was a bit surprised at first as the new stadium looked exactly like I'd remembered the old one, and I thought, why did they bother?

But when I left the rarified confines of the 'hozzy' to have a wander, I started to get more impressed. The beauty, as you say, is in the concourses, particularly the sports bar behind the bleachers, where I got chatting and drinking with two extremely comely and very friendly Italian-American girls. In the event, I decided my new company was preferable to the stuffed shirts back in the 'hozzy' or waiting in the line to get into the museum, and I spent an agreeable evening there, watching a late match-winning double play by some young Chicago chappie.

So I'm sold, I felt better about the Yankees as a result of this positive visit, though nothing will replace the PNC park as the primary must-visit American baseball experience. (A better class of filly at Yankee stadium than in Pittsburgh though, it has to be conceded!)

On the down side, the stadium is way too big, by about thirty thousand seats, for the purpose of baseball spectating.

However, a great day out, and it has to go down (even for Yankee loathers like myself) as one of the world's great sporting musts. I don't think they've lost much from the old Yankee Stadium over the road, and they've gained substantially.

Shrekko
28-04-2011, 03:17 PM
Pretty much a spot-on assessment, F10. I was a bit surprised at first as the new stadium looked exactly like I'd remembered the old one, and I thought, why did they bother?

But when I left the rarified confines of the 'hozzy' to have a wander, I started to get more impressed. The beauty, as you say, is in the concourses, particularly the sports bar behind the bleachers, where I got chatting and drinking with two extremely comely and very friendly Italian-American girls. In the event, I decided my new company was preferable to the stuffed shirts back in the 'hozzy' or waiting in the line to get into the museum, and I spent an agreeable evening there, watching a late match-winning double play by some young Chicago chappie.

So I'm sold, I felt better about the Yankees as a result of this positive visit, though nothing will replace the PNC park as the primary must-visit American baseball experience. (A better class of filly at Yankee stadium than in Pittsburgh though, it has to be conceded!)

On the down side, the stadium is way too big, by about thirty thousand seats, for the purpose of baseball spectating.

However, a great day out, and it has to go down (even for Yankee loathers like myself) as one of the world's great sporting musts. I don't think they've lost much from the old Yankee Stadium over the road, and they've gained substantially.

Glad you enjoyed yourself Bob and I thought it was a great game despite the result (it's actually been a great series for the baseball purist this one). Lillebridge's 2 catches to end it were fantastic and I think you witnessed his 15 minutes (or seconds?) of fame.

I think eventually the Yankees will gain from the new stadium, and already will be financially, but I think there will be a lengthy transition period before it's in the hearts of the Yankees fans, who after all are the most important people. I don't think the fact it looks nice matters too much to them. The 10 years or so before they knocked the old stadium down they were averaging over 50,000 (capacity 56,000) at every game and now they only fill the reduced capacity stadium for Red Sox, Mets and play-off games. As I say, it's great on those nights but not so much at other times.

I'll need to visit PNC if it's as good as you say- you can give me your assessment and tell me what to look for nearer the time once I arrange it :wink:

Dashing Bob S
28-04-2011, 03:34 PM
Glad you enjoyed yourself Bob and I thought it was a great game despite the result (it's actually been a great series for the baseball purist this one). Lillebridge's 2 catches to end it were fantastic and I think you witnessed his 15 minutes (or seconds?) of fame.

I think eventually the Yankees will gain from the new stadium, and already will be financially, but I think there will be a lengthy transition period before it's in the hearts of the Yankees fans, who after all are the most important people. I don't think the fact it looks nice matters too much to them. The 10 years or so before they knocked the old stadium down they were averaging over 50,000 (capacity 56,000) at every game and now they only fill the reduced capacity stadium for Red Sox, Mets and play-off games. As I say, it's great on those nights but not so much at other times.

I'll need to visit PNC if it's as good as you say- you can give me your assessment and tell me what to look for nearer the time once I arrange it :wink:

Happy to do so- a cracking ballpark with superb sight lines.

Yes, the games in this series are supertight pitchers affairs and highly strategic. i've seen one and caught bits of the other two on telly and been pretty much riveted.

Back in PA today, so hoping to get along to PNC tonight for the Giants game then back to sunny 'Merchy' at the weekend.

Part/Time Supporter
29-04-2011, 05:16 PM
I have Lance Berkman (http://mlb.mlb.com/team/player.jsp?player_id=204020) in my fantasy team.

.410 BA, 1.263 OPS, 8 HR, 22 RBI

:not worth

Like the Indians, it probably won't last. But I'm enjoying it while it does.

Part/Time Supporter
30-04-2011, 07:57 AM
Tigers fan looks away in disgust (http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=14295737)

hibsbollah
01-05-2011, 09:01 AM
If you want a laugh check out the cubs next time our 'top' pitcher Ryan Dempsters on the rotation. Currently worst ERA in the major leagues and got pulled in the first inning the other night. Major 'control issues' to use the jargon, or couldnt hit a barn with a barn door.

heretoday
01-05-2011, 09:28 PM
Well, well. Looks like the Indians aren't going quietly this time.

Part/Time Supporter
04-05-2011, 08:54 AM
Liriano no-hit the White Sox. He entered the game with an ERA >9!

SlickShoes
04-05-2011, 09:00 AM

Mental eh, he walked SIX and only had 2 K's!

Since the PSN went down ive been missing MLB hope it comes back soon!

DH1875
04-05-2011, 05:48 PM
Mental eh, he walked SIX and only had 2 K's!

Since the PSN went down ive been missing MLB hope it comes back soon!

You can log in through your laptop/pc though :confused:.

James.
05-05-2011, 05:56 AM
Thought there was some mistake when I checked the scores this morning and noticed that Angels - Red Sox game is still in progress. Turns out it still is! Almost 2am over there and it's currently 3-3.

Dirkster23
05-05-2011, 06:48 AM
Thought there was some mistake when I checked the scores this morning and noticed that Angels - Red Sox game is still in progress. Turns out it still is! Almost 2am over there and it's currently 3-3.

LAA win 3-5 at 02.45 local time:shocked:

Part/Time Supporter
05-05-2011, 03:42 PM

Rain delay?

I presume they didn't call the game because it might be the only time the Angels are in Boston this year.

Shrekko
07-05-2011, 11:22 PM

Another one tonight for Justin Verlander against the Blue Jays and very nearly a perfect game.

Verlander IMHO is already in the same elite bracket as F. Hernandez, Lester, Sabathia and Price as far as the best starting pitchers in the American League go. However, I think if he could only sort out his long standing first innings struggles he could actually be the best of the bunch. He was still throwing 99 mph after 120 odd pitches v. the Yankees the other night and you probably wouldnt class him as just an out and out power pitcher- he's amazing.

Sylar
08-05-2011, 08:59 AM
Another one tonight for Justin Verlander against the Blue Jays and very nearly a perfect game.

Verlander IMHO is already in the same elite bracket as F. Hernandez, Lester, Sabathia and Price as far as the best starting pitchers in the American League go. However, I think if he could only sort out his long standing first innings struggles he could actually be the best of the bunch. He was still throwing 99 mph after 120 odd pitches v. the Yankees the other night and you probably wouldnt class him as just an out and out power pitcher- he's amazing.

:agree: - I'm always amazed when we start a new season with him in our starting roster. He's easily one of the best pitchers in the American League. It's a shame the rest of our rotation isn't anywhere near his caliber.

Last night was a joy to behold - if only the rest of our season had lived up to it :greengrin

hibsbollah
08-05-2011, 06:11 PM
Dempster up for the Cubs again tonight on mlb.tv. Should be a laugh with his 8.00+ ERA.

hibsbollah
08-05-2011, 08:24 PM
:agree: - I'm always amazed when we start a new season with him in our starting roster. He's easily one of the best pitchers in the American League. It's a shame the rest of our rotation isn't anywhere near his caliber.

Last night was a joy to behold - if only the rest of our season had lived up to it :greengrin

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/2011050818802932/

Good article here. Only 4 strikeouts in the no hitter.

Sylar
09-05-2011, 07:58 AM
Dempster up for the Cubs again tonight on mlb.tv. Should be a laugh with his 8.00+ ERA.

Wasn't too bad in the end - your lack of offensive support probably cost you more than the pitching.

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/2011050818802932/

Good article here. Only 4 strikeouts in the no hitter.

He's always been good at throwing unhittable pitches and I don't believe K's are everything. He gets ground outs and pop outs with good succession. I bet he's annoyed at the 1 walk though :agree:

hibsbollah
09-05-2011, 09:47 AM
Wasn't too bad in the end - your lack of offensive support probably cost you more than the pitching.

He's always been good at throwing unhittable pitches and I don't believe K's are everything. He gets ground outs and pop outs with good succession. I bet he's annoyed at the 1 walk though :agree:

Yep, its normally the other way round with
us and can rely on our hitters but not our defense.

Agree re-k numbers. I think the writer's point was that verlander deserves more credit than hes getting because he finds different ways to get outs than just getting flashy numbers of ks in big games.

hibsbollah
13-05-2011, 10:01 PM
I have a definite feeling for the Twins this year.

In mid-May, my pick for the world series have the worst record in the major leagues. It is official, Cubs fans know NOTHING about baseball:-)

Sylar
21-05-2011, 01:36 PM
One week tomorrow and I'll be sitting in Commerica Park watching the Tigers taking on the Boston Red Sox :thumbsup:

A few Toledo Mudhens games are scheduled in the next fortnight as well.

We currently stand 6 games behind an absolutely rampant Indians side, who I fancied for certain to finish bottom of the AL Central.

Pittsburgh absolutely smashed us last night - hoping we can exact some revenge tonight!

heretoday
27-05-2011, 10:58 PM
Go Tribe!!!

Sylar
28-05-2011, 02:57 AM
Go Tribe!!!

Spanked by the Rays tonight, but still maintain a healthy divisional lead over us.

I still fancy you to come back down with a bit of a bump, but it's just not for happening right now!

In Ohio at the moment and apparently the number of Indians tops going around is much higher than usual (glory hunting gets :greengrin)

Looking forward to the trip to the Big House and then Commerica Park on Sunday, even though the Red Sox are bending us over a little in this series.

Dirkster23
28-05-2011, 04:08 PM
Spanked by the Rays tonight, but still maintain a healthy divisional lead over us.

I still fancy you to come back down with a bit of a bump, but it's just not for happening right now!

In Ohio at the moment and apparently the number of Indians tops going around is much higher than usual (glory hunting gets :greengrin)

Looking forward to the trip to the Big House and then Commerica Park on Sunday, even though the Red Sox are bending us over a little in this series.

Should be a cracking pitching duel between Beckett and Verlander. Everythings clicking for the Sox at the moment and hopefully they'll keep the roll going :greengrin

Dashing Bob S
29-05-2011, 11:21 AM
If only we could play the Cubs every game! Then the world would tremble, rather than laugh, when the name 'Pirates' was mentioned in a sporting context!

hibsbollah
29-05-2011, 11:22 AM
If only we could play the Cubs every game! Then the world would tremble, rather than laugh, when the name 'Pirates' was mentioned in a sporting context!

You always beat us...youre fast becoming our bogey team. Correia again.

Sylar
30-05-2011, 02:01 AM
Should be a cracking pitching duel between Beckett and Verlander. Everythings clicking for the Sox at the moment and hopefully they'll keep the roll going :greengrin

Made the double header today (bonus, as Saturday was rained out). We were unlucky in the first game, with Ortiz coming off the bench to PH a HR in the top 9th to give the Red Sox a 4-3 win.

Looking a bit better for us in this evening game, but we're nowhere near done yet.

Sylar
30-05-2011, 03:20 PM
Well, a win and a loss yesterday (combined with Indians losing to Tampa and the Jays melting the White Sox) brings us half a game closer.

The overall standard of the AL Central has been awful thus far and we're certainly not great ball club right now. If the Indians don't implode, it's theirs for the taking.

The_Todd
02-06-2011, 07:33 PM
Watching the Pirates throw away a 7-0 lead... What is it with my teams?

Sylar
02-06-2011, 07:42 PM
Yep, watching it as well - quite funny (in a tragic sort of way).

We have an off-day today, having just swept the Twins at Comerica.

BIG series for us this weekend at Cellular Field vs the White Sox.

Sylar
05-06-2011, 03:09 AM
Miggy! 2 run HR in the top of the 9th, following some wizard-like pitching from Verlander gives us game 2 of the 3 game series vs the White Sox, after losing out last night.

Combined with the Rangers shutting out Cleveland, we're now only 4 games behind, with the Indians going through a bit of a slump.

:thumbsup:

Sylar
07-06-2011, 01:54 PM
The Indians collapse is underway - 3 wins out of their last 13 and another loss in Cleveland last night to the worst-in-baseball Twins :thumbsup:

Combined with us smashing the Rangers in Arlington last night night, 13-7, we're now only 1.5 games back :greengrin

Dashing Bob S
07-06-2011, 02:10 PM
I'm still giddy that the Pirates are teetering on 50%, totally owning the Cubs and Astro's asses.

Tigers looking a good shout in AM Central, TSSF, as Cleveland are now wobbling, and the traditional big hitters in that division, the White Sox and Twins, stuttering and having a season from hell respectively.

Sylar
07-06-2011, 03:49 PM
I'm still giddy that the Pirates are teetering on 50%, totally owning the Cubs and Astro's asses.

Tigers looking a good shout in AM Central, TSSF, as Cleveland are now wobbling, and the traditional big hitters in that division, the White Sox and Twins, stuttering and having a season from hell respectively.

We seem to run in streaks, which is worrying me a little - we're on a hot streak right now, racking up good series wins vs. the Twins and the White Sox, and getting off to a good start against the Rangers last night. However, when we came up against the Red Sox last week, we looked remarkably weak by comparison.

Our pitching looks REALLY comfortable for the most part, with only 2 slots in our starting rotation looking shaky at times. We have perhaps the best relief pitcher in the American League in Al Albuquerque as well as (arguably) the best starting pitcher in the American League this season in Justin Verlander. He was amazing to watch the other night vs the White Sox - bottom of the 8th inning and he was consistently throwing pitches above 95mph, getting his final K with a 100mph fastball right on the corner.

Still a lot of baseball to be played before September though - if we can avoid a Cubs-esque run into the end of the season, we might have a shout.

Sylar
08-06-2011, 04:17 AM
2 games vs Texas and two absolute demolitions we've handed out!

Won tonight's game by 8-1, racking up 20 hits, on top of the 18 hits we amassed yesterday!

Pitching also looked fairly comfortable in all areas again - are there any other teams in the majors streaking as well as we are just now?!

It'll all come apart tomorrow though - Phil Coke to get the start coming off the DL :rolleyes:

Sylar
15-06-2011, 09:53 AM
After a disappointing series vs the Mariners at home, we bounced back by beating the Indians last night to move to first place in the AL Central, with Justin Verlander doing the damage yet again.

Sublime pitching for 9 innings, giving up the no hitter in the 8th to a blooper single.

If he isn't in line for the AL Cy Young nod, it's a farce, as he's been an astonishing pitcher this season - best I can remember him having in a Tigers uniform.

Shrekko
16-06-2011, 12:12 AM
If he isn't in line for the AL Cy Young nod, it's a farce, as he's been an astonishing pitcher this season - best I can remember him having in a Tigers uniform.

Mid-way through June and it's already a 'farce' if Verlander isn't in line for the Cy Young nod?! Even at this point in time I'd say Weaver, Beckett, and Shields have good cases with the usual suspects like Lester, Bucholz, Sabathia, Price and Hernandez just warming up! I'm an admirer too and I think he'll start the All Star game but c'mon!! If he keeps it going he'll be in the running but only one pitcher in each league can win it!

A heck of a lot can change throughout a season for teams and players alike and it often boils down to who's hot at the business end when the awards are given out. In saying that it might add a bit of interest to this thread which is really stale to get a few predictions from the afficienado's at this stage and then see how it pans out. Mine are;

American League
Divison Winners- Boston (East) Detroit (Central) Texas (West)
Wild Card- New York
ALCS- Boston
Cy Young- Justin Verlander ;-)
MVP- Adrian Gonzalez
Most Home Runs- Mark Texiera
Batting Champ-Paul Konerko

National League
Divison Winners- Philly (East) St.Louis (Central) Colorado (West)
Wild Card- San Francisco
NLCS-Philly
Cy Young- Roy Halladay
MVP- Matt Kemp
Most Home Runs- Prince Fielder
Batting Champ- Jose Reyes

Too early to think about Rookie of the Year and predicting a Phillies v Red Sox World Series isnt really rocket science at this point in time, but at present they look a cut above the competition as expected. Who gains home advantage via the All Star game may even be crucial in determining a winner in a contest like that.

Sylar
16-06-2011, 09:22 AM
Mid-way through June and it's already a 'farce' if Verlander isn't in line for the Cy Young nod?! Even at this point in time I'd say Weaver, Beckett, and Shields have good cases with the usual suspects like Lester, Bucholz, Sabathia, Price and Hernandez just warming up! I'm an admirer too and I think he'll start the All Star game but c'mon!! If he keeps it going he'll be in the running but only one pitcher in each league can win it!

A heck of a lot can change throughout a season for teams and players alike and it often boils down to who's hot at the business end when the awards are given out. In saying that it might add a bit of interest to this thread which is really stale to get a few predictions from the afficienado's at this stage and then see how it pans out. Mine are;

American League
Divison Winners- Boston (East) Detroit (Central) Texas (West)
Wild Card- New York
ALCS- Boston
Cy Young- Justin Verlander ;-)
MVP- Adrian Gonzalez
Most Home Runs- Mark Texiera
Batting Champ-Paul Konerko

National League
Divison Winners- Philly (East) St.Louis (Central) Colorado (West)
Wild Card- San Francisco
NLCS-Philly
Cy Young- Roy Halladay
MVP- Matt Kemp
Most Home Runs- Prince Fielder

Too early to think about Rookie of the Year and predicting a Phillies v Red Sox World Series isnt really rocket science at this point in time, but at present they look a cut above the competition as expected. Who gains home advantage via the All Star game may even be crucial in determining a winner in a contest like that.

I never said he should win it already, but he deserves a nod in respect to it as a genuine contender. The names you list are already well "expected" and already being talked about, but not much is being said in relation to Justin. It's far too early to say "he deserves to win it", but he absolute deserves recognition for a blistering hot season. I don't know any of the other starters you list who can still hit 96mph+ in the bottom of the 8th or 9th innings.

American League

Divison Winners- Boston (East) Detroit (Central) Seattle (West)
Wild Card- Cleveland
ALCS- Boston
Cy Young- Josh Beckett (I'd love to be wrong, but Beckett plays for the Red Sox :rolleyes:)
MVP- Adrian Gonzalez
Most Home Runs- Jose Bautista
Batting Champ- Carlos Quentin

National League

Divison Winners- Philly (East) St.Louis (Central) San Francisco (West)
Wild Card- Milwaukee
NLCS-Philly
Cy Young- Roy Halladay
MVP- Prince Fielder
Most Home Runs- Matt Kemp

sg7nil
16-06-2011, 12:33 PM
I'm off to NY and Vegas in July for my holidays with the Mrs. As a birthday present I've been given tickets for the Mets v Yankees game on 3/7.

Going as an interested neutral to my first ever live game, any tips of things to look out for?

Obviously Yankees are favourites to win, but Mets will be at home. This being a derby match will there be any needle in the crowd? Not really sure what to expect to be honest.

Part/Time Supporter
16-06-2011, 12:47 PM
I'm off to NY and Vegas in July for my holidays with the Mrs. As a birthday present I've been given tickets for the Mets v Yankees game on 3/7.

Going as an interested neutral to my first ever live game, any tips of things to look out for?

Obviously Yankees are favourites to win, but Mets will be at home. This being a derby match will there be any needle in the crowd? Not really sure what to expect to be honest.

Aye and naw. Aye the teams are "rivals" and the fans will give each other gip, but it wouldn't be like having (say) a stand mixed of Hearts and Hibs fans at a derby (ie actual hatred between the fans).

Sylar
16-06-2011, 01:19 PM

To fully enjoy it, make sure you don't spend all 9 innings sitting watching the game. There are usually plenty of other things going on around on the concourses which are all part of the experience.

Been to a few "derby" games, but as above, there's no real venom. Having said that, the last Red Sox vs Yankees game I was at when I was younger was pretty vicious.

Shrekko
16-06-2011, 09:47 PM
I never said he should win it already, but he deserves a nod in respect to it as a genuine contender. The names you list are already well "expected" and already being talked about, but not much is being said in relation to Justin. It's far too early to say "he deserves to win it", but he absolute deserves recognition for a blistering hot season. I don't know any of the other starters you list who can still hit 96mph+ in the bottom of the 8th or 9th innings.

Well that's not what you actually said in the post I quoted- you said 'If he isn't in line for the AL Cy Young nod, it's a farce'.

I actually think you're selling him short simply referring to his late innings velocity in comparison to others. I'd say David Price could match that, but in truth Verlander is an outstanding pitcher with 4 good pitches who happens to be able to throw 100 mph as opposed to simply being a power pitcher.

I think you're being a bit paranoid if you're annoyed that he's not getting recognition he deserves from the 'experts'. I haven't heard anyone being tipped to win the Cy Young yet and to be fair to the Americans they don't tend to discuss these things too early.

If it was handed out tomorrow it would be him or Beckett... and I wouldn't actually count on it being Beckett because he plays in Boston- he should have won it in 2007, when CC Sabathia got it in Cleveland.

Dashing Bob S
24-06-2011, 02:02 PM
Anyone heard anything about the re-organisation of baseball into two 15 team leagues, national and american, the top five in each then playing off? An old Boston chum was slavering about this to me at Logan Airport but I put it down to excess alcohol.

Dirkster23
25-06-2011, 03:56 PM
Anyone heard anything about the re-organisation of baseball into two 15 team leagues, national and american, the top five in each then playing off? An old Boston chum was slavering about this to me at Logan Airport but I put it down to excess alcohol.

It got a mention during a rain delay in a Red Sox game recently. Appears it's something that could be considered along with all teams playing with a DH.

hibsbollah
25-06-2011, 06:57 PM
It got a mention during a rain delay in a Red Sox game recently. Appears it's something that could be considered along with all teams playing with a DH.

I would hate for them to fiddle about with the designated hitter rule. National League teams having a pitcher coming out to bat just adds a different element to the game. Also, for the Cubs big Carlos Zambrano is batting better than some of our batters :-)

Dirkster23
25-06-2011, 07:29 PM
I would hate for them to fiddle about with the designated hitter rule. National League teams having a pitcher coming out to bat just adds a different element to the game. Also, for the Cubs big Carlos Zambrano is batting better than some of our batters :-)

Maybe not likely to happen, but definitely being considered.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=6651634

No mention of both leagues using the DH though :greengrin

James.
26-06-2011, 10:55 AM
Verlander strikes out 14 last night!

Glad he's not scheduled to start when we come visiting this week!

Part/Time Supporter
29-06-2011, 08:01 AM

That part is bloody stupid, what is the point of having divisions if the division champion doesn't qualify?

Shrekko
29-06-2011, 11:41 AM
That part is bloody stupid, what is the point of having divisions if the division champion doesn't qualify?

The Division champion would qualify... as would the rest of the top 5. Difference being there would only be 2 Divisions- a 15 team AL and a 15 team NL.

I think a balanced schedule would be a good thing.

Part/Time Supporter
30-06-2011, 07:16 AM
The Division champion would qualify... as would the rest of the top 5. Difference being there would only be 2 Divisions- a 15 team AL and a 15 team NL.

I think a balanced schedule would be a good thing.

Which means coast teams visiting the opposite coast teams as often as their "local" rivals. Daft.

Part/Time Supporter
30-06-2011, 07:17 AM
Verlander strikes out 14 last night!

Glad he's not scheduled to start when we come visiting this week!

Meet the Detroit Tigers - Justin Verlander + 24 stiffs!

Sylar
30-06-2011, 08:35 AM
Meet the Detroit Tigers - Justin Verlander + 24 stiffs!

Missed the first game, but sadly seen our "efforts" last night.

Shame, as our pitching has been pretty solid up until this series (Phil Coke aside...)

Sylar
01-07-2011, 02:42 AM
Welcome back Justin Verlander, who helps us avoid the sweep with a 5-2 win, to keep us half a game in front!

James.
01-07-2011, 03:48 PM
Feeling unusually confident about our chances this series having routed Texas and Detroit over the past week. Yankees will hopefully struggle to hit HRs as everyone seems to do at CitiField and the matchups are quite favourable with no CC scheduled.

I'm liking this Mets team even without Wright, Davis and Santana they are competitive and a lot of fun to watch. Reyes is just unreal these days.

Shrekko
01-07-2011, 10:41 PM
Feeling unusually confident about our chances this series having routed Texas and Detroit over the past week. Yankees will hopefully struggle to hit HRs as everyone seems to do at CitiField and the matchups are quite favourable with no CC scheduled.

I'm liking this Mets team even without Wright, Davis and Santana they are competitive and a lot of fun to watch. Reyes is just unreal these days.

Looking forward to it from the other side of the fence. The pitching match-up's do seem fairly even so all set for a good series.

I'd say Jose Reyes is just about my favourite player in mlb at the moment, but I hope he goes off the boil for 3 days only. I also hope the Mets can keep the resurgance going, this series apart.

The Yankees are too reliant on the home run this season so we'll see if they find other ways to score.

Part/Time Supporter
08-07-2011, 12:15 PM
Nothing wrong with being reliant on the home run -

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?c_id=mlb&content_id=16734915&topic_id=17807232

If you're down by three runs with the bases loaded, that is.

Sylar
08-07-2011, 01:03 PM
Evidently "I don't have a pulse" then.

Their luck will run out eventually :agree:

Part/Time Supporter
08-07-2011, 03:52 PM
Evidently "I don't have a pulse" then.

Neither does that poor guy in Texas who killed himself trying to catch a foul ball.

http://blogs.wsj.com/dailyfix/2011/07/08/baseball-tragedy-when-fan-dies-in-texas-rangers-ballpark/

Part/Time Supporter
08-07-2011, 03:55 PM

I'm going to stick my neck on the block and claim it's not luck now. Carrasco, Masterson and Tomlin have been three of the better starters in the league and the bullpen is excellent. Masterson would be going to the A/S game if they had scored any runs for him. The biggest problem is the lineup, it's patchy at best and they've had a few injuries. They really need to trade for a right handed hitting outfielder but the owners are too tight.

Shrekko
08-07-2011, 06:53 PM
I'm going to stick my neck on the block and claim it's not luck now. Carrasco, Masterson and Tomlin have been three of the better starters in the league and the bullpen is excellent. Masterson would be going to the A/S game if they had scored any runs for him. The biggest problem is the lineup, it's patchy at best and they've had a few injuries. They really need to trade for a right handed hitting outfielder but the owners are too tight.

I tipped Detroit earlier for the AL Central but I now think the Indians are definite contenders barring injuries. As you say, offensively they've not much depth but the pitching looks very good.

I was really impressed during the Yankees series and have to say that Masterson just looks ridiculously good. I've not seen anyone make hitters look so bad all season. I remember when the Red Sox traded him, a number of Boston players were reported as being very disappointed and I can see why now.

The crowds were much bigger during the Yankees series than they had been at the start of the season- maybe that will encourage the owners to speculate a bit?

Sylar
11-07-2011, 08:37 AM
1.5 game lead going into the All-Star break over the Indians, who lost at home to the Jays, whilst Verlander gets another win after some stunning pitching through 7 innings, giving up only 1 hit and conceding 1 unearned run vs the Royals.

Apart from one shockingly bad series vs the Mets at Commerica, our pitching looks every bit as comfortable as the Indians and our bullpen is looking better as we go on. Valverde has to have one of the best save record in the majors this season!

Dashing Bob S
11-07-2011, 06:32 PM
Go Pirates! Can we PLEASE play Cubs every day?

hibsbollah
11-07-2011, 07:45 PM
Go Pirates! Can we PLEASE play Cubs every day?

Youve won something like 17 of our last 20 meetings IIRC from my last drink-addled baseball evenings commentary. Its getting ridiculous.

Still, id rather you won the division for a change. Anythings better than those dirty birds from st louis.

Sylar
13-07-2011, 10:36 AM
Surprised there's been nothing on the AS Break yet.

Anyway - Robinson Cano won the Home Run Derby yesterday in a final vs Adrian Gonzalez, with both batters hitting some exceptionally long balls.

Home field advantage for the World Series was secured by the National League, as they defeated the American League All Stars 5-1 at Chase Field last night.

Seems to be a change of power, with the National League now having won the last 2 ASG's, following a period of domination from the American League.

Sylar
27-07-2011, 09:59 AM
A nice healthy 2 game lead over Cleveland and a further 2.5 more to the 3rd place White Sox, whom we managed to see off at Cellular Field last night with Verlander getting his 14th win, and Big Pappa Grande getting YET ANOTHER save :thumbsup:

As a side note, what about the game between the Pirates and the Braves yesterday - eventually finished after 19 INNINGS with the Braves coming out 4-3 victors.

Haymaker
31-07-2011, 12:54 AM
Yankees are currently destroying Baltimore... Great game!

Part/Time Supporter
31-07-2011, 04:57 AM
Indians have really struggled in the last couple of weeks, including being no-hit by Ervin Santana, but are somehow still only 1.5 games out due to the Tigers struggling to put two wins together.

This could be a game-changer in the AL Central, however. (http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20110730&content_id=22522146&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb)

Ubaldo Jimenez (Rockies SP) to Cleveland for Alex White (young SP who was their #1 draft pick) and three minor leaguers, including their best pitching prospect (Pomeranz). Bit of a risky trade (very high price in prospects), but at least it isn't a full rental because Jimenez is under a cheap contract for 2012 ($4M) and 2013 ($5.75M). I.e. if they don't contend next year they could always flip him for prospects from some place else.

There's also talk of them trading for Ludwick (San Diego OF).

This is very different from the Indians under Mark Shapiro. Looks like Antonetti has taken the training wheels off!

The other big trade at the deadline so far was the Phillies picking up Hunter Pence (OF) from the Astros.

Sylar
31-07-2011, 08:19 PM
Indians have really struggled in the last couple of weeks, including being no-hit by Ervin Santana, but are somehow still only 1.5 games out due to the Tigers struggling to put two wins together.

This could be a game-changer in the AL Central, however. (http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20110730&content_id=22522146&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb)

Ubaldo Jimenez (Rockies SP) to Cleveland for Alex White (young SP who was their #1 draft pick) and three minor leaguers, including their best pitching prospect (Pomeranz). Bit of a risky trade (very high price in prospects), but at least it isn't a full rental because Jimenez is under a cheap contract for 2012 ($4M) and 2013 ($5.75M). I.e. if they don't contend next year they could always flip him for prospects from some place else.

There's also talk of them trading for Ludwick (San Diego OF).

This is very different from the Indians under Mark Shapiro. Looks like Antonetti has taken the training wheels off!

The other big trade at the deadline so far was the Phillies picking up Hunter Pence (OF) from the Astros.

We've not had a great series vs the Angels, but we're 5-5 in our last 10 games, compared to the Indians 3-7 record.

Another win for us tonight and another loss for the Indians against the Royals opens another small gap.

The division is still very tight and no team looks capable of pulling away right now.

Still don't think it really matters who emerges on top of the AL Central, as the AL Champion is undoubtedly going to be found in the AL East - the Red Sox and Yankees look a cut above the rest of the League right now.

Sylar
03-08-2011, 04:05 PM
Another good win at home vs the Rangers last night, coupled with both the Indians and White Sox losing now has us 3 games ahead in the central as we enter the business end of the regular season.

The AL East is an utter farce this year, with the Red Sox and Yankees creating an Old Firm like gap to the Rays in 3rd.

Sylar
04-08-2011, 11:33 AM
4 games ahead of the Indians now and a further 2.5 to the White Sox.

We really have done some amount of damage to the Rangers this season :agree:

Shrekko
04-08-2011, 03:45 PM
The AL East is an utter farce this year, with the Red Sox and Yankees creating an Old Firm like gap to the Rays in 3rd.

The only farce is 4 of the top 5 or 6 in the American League being in one division competing for a max of 2 play off spots whilst you can be under 500 in the Central with less than 2 months to go and still be dreaming of October!

It's funny- when I started getting into baseball the derogatory statement towards the Yankees was that they were 'like Man U'- now the Yanks and the Sox are like the Old Firm! Its been proved time and again that anyone can win in baseball- money helps but there are penalties for having money and being successful as you should know. Rules on draft picks, draft compensation, revenue sharing, luxury tax etc etc means the playing
field is as level as it can be- to go down the 'they are the big bad Old Firm' route is base to say the least!

Both Yankees and Red Sox have been hit badly with injuries this season but have played consistently very well all year, apart from the first 12 games in Bostons case. That's not a farce- it's just good play. Give them
credit!

Sylar
04-08-2011, 06:47 PM
The only farce is 4 of the top 5 or 6 in the American League being in one division competing for a max of 2 play off spots whilst you can be under 500 in the Central with less than 2 months to go and still be dreaming of October!

It's funny- when I started getting into baseball the derogatory statement towards the Yankees was that they were 'like Man U'- now the Yanks and the Sox are like the Old Firm! Its been proved time and again that anyone can win in baseball- money helps but there are penalties for having money and being successful as you should know. Rules on draft picks, draft compensation, revenue sharing, luxury tax etc etc means the playing
field is as level as it can be- to go down the 'they are the big bad Old Firm' route is base to say the least!

Both Yankees and Red Sox have been hit badly with injuries this season but have played consistently very well all year, apart from the first 12 games in Bostons case. That's not a farce- it's just good play. Give them
credit!

Oh, I absolutely agree with you! I've said in previous posts that the Red Sox are head and shoulders above most of the teams win the AL this year, with the Yankees also playing some brilliant baseball this year. All I meant was, that as a competition, the AL East is a farce - the Rays completely shot themselves in the foot, trading arguably, 2 of their best players last season and not replacing them, with the Blue Jays and Orioles being their usual incompetent selves. I could have used La Liga as the measure of the gap to the top 2, but I figured the SPL was a more widely acceptable comparison.

I don't necessarily subscribe to this "Man Utd of baseball" mantra which is attached to the Yankees. They unquestionably have a bigger support than any other team in the majors, with people supporting them all over the country, despite having no attachment whatsoever to New York, but their finances don't "buy" them their successes. Their trades are well calculated, their scouting system is superb and their roster is well balanced. I have a lot of time for the likes of Jeter, Texeira, Granderson and Sabbathia, who are all sensational baseball players.

I bear absolutely no ill-will against the Red Sox either and would probably claim to be a Sox fan had I gotten into baseball quicker. Mostly everyone in the New England area are Red Sox fans, and I do keep my eye on them, being from Rhode Island. However, I never really followed baseball whilst living there, and it wasn't until I went to school in Michigan for a while that I started to get into it, and the Tigers were romping their way to the World Series in 05, so I was paying attention.

It's just so "cool" to like either the Red Sox or the Yankees over here, so by default, it makes them detestable, especially when they ARE so damned good! When I was in Ohio earlier this year, it was the Red Sox who were in town to play the Tigers and they absolutely dismantled us that series, apart from when Verlander was on the mound! Sadly, the Verlander game was NOT the one I went along to...

Shrekko
05-08-2011, 10:41 PM
However, I never really followed baseball whilst living there, and it wasn't until I went to school in Michigan for a while that I started to get into it, and the Tigers were romping their way to the World Series in 05, so I was paying attention.

Wow- what a glory hunter :greengrin

Re the AL East- fair enough if you didnt mean anything derogatory, although I think it's a bit unfair on the Rays and the Jays who have been brilliant really. To be over .500 at the trade deadline is some achievement in that Division, and if they'd been in a position to 'buy' they could both have done really well all season long. Very impressed with how the Rays didnt really miss Pena, Garza and Crawford thanks to Kotchman, Hellickson and Fuld and still cut payroll.

I am a bit amazed to read that being a Yankees fan is 'cool' in the UK- never been my perception but it doesnt matter. All the mock 'hatred' is water of a ducks back after a while and something I dont really get anyway- for me baseball doesnt really engender those strong feelings despite loving the game. My only slight dislikes are Texas (2010) and the Phillies.

I think the Sox and the Yankees have a wide fanbase for a whole number of reasons and it's passed from generation to generation- without them baseball would be far poorer and i personally think their form, which is a lot to do with a need to win every night this year has given MLB a shot in the arm this year after a few stale years. Identical records before the start of this 3 game set in August is fantastic.

Part/Time Supporter
16-08-2011, 06:07 AM
Congratulations to Jim Thome, 600 home runs and not a steroid in sight. It's an absolute disgrace that his achievement is sullied by cheats like A-Fraud, Sosa and Bonds.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/gameday/index.jsp?gid=2011_08_15_minmlb_detmlb_1&mode=video

hibsbollah
16-08-2011, 08:40 AM
Sosa wasnt a steroid cheat was he?

Part/Time Supporter
16-08-2011, 11:19 AM
Sosa wasnt a steroid cheat was he?

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=bryant_howard&id=4264973

hibsbollah
16-08-2011, 02:14 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=bryant_howard&id=4264973 Hmmmm...speculation without evidence, most of that. Until someone actually fails a test I think they deserve the benefit of the doubt.

Shrekko
16-08-2011, 09:15 PM
Congratulations to Jim Thome, 600 home runs and not a steroid in sight. It's an absolute disgrace that his achievement is sullied by cheats like A-Fraud, Sosa and Bonds.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/gameday/index.jsp?gid=2011_08_15_minmlb_detmlb_1&mode=video

Are you sure there's not a steroid in sight? Positive?

I think it's very naive to say with any kind of certainty that anyone who played baseball pre 2004 is/ was clean. And if he is clean why has his achievement been sullied if he's one of the few who's done it honestly?

A-Rod was universally considered clean until he got found out.

There are lots of interesting arguments and one would be that hitters in the 'steroid era' were facing juiced up pitchers so maybe they were all even? :wink:

Other thing to bear in mind when using words like 'cheats' is that steroid use wasn't actually against the rules when the likes of Sosa, McGuire and Bonds were allegedly taking them. My own personal opinion is that baseball players will have been up to all sorts since time began. I'm not convinced that Hank Aaron's achievements were done without 'a little help' for instance as his stats as he got older were unbelievable.

Part/Time Supporter
18-08-2011, 06:31 AM
Are you sure there's not a steroid in sight? Positive?

I think it's very naive to say with any kind of certainty that anyone who played baseball pre 2004 is/ was clean. And if he is clean why has his achievement been sullied if he's one of the few who's done it honestly?

That's precisely my point. His achievement has been sullied because there is an implication that everyone must have been doing it.

A-Rod was universally considered clean until he got found out.

Eh, no. Look at his yearly HR progression. The leap after he joins Texas can not be explained by ballpark / natural progression.

There are lots of interesting arguments and one would be that hitters in the 'steroid era' were facing juiced up pitchers so maybe they were all even? :wink:

No, they weren't.

Other thing to bear in mind when using words like 'cheats' is that steroid use wasn't actually against the rules when the likes of Sosa, McGuire and Bonds were allegedly taking them. My own personal opinion is that baseball players will have been up to all sorts since time began. I'm not convinced that Hank Aaron's achievements were done without 'a little help' for instance as his stats as he got older were unbelievable.

They're cheats because they made far more money and fame than they deserved to. The fact that MLB and the MLBPA had their heads in the sand is no excuse.

Shrekko
18-08-2011, 08:26 AM
That's precisely my point. His achievement has been sullied because there is an implication that everyone must have been doing it.

Eh, no. Look at his yearly HR progression. The leap after he joins Texas can not be explained by ballpark / natural progression.

No, they weren't.

They're cheats because they made far more money and fame than they deserved to. The fact that MLB and the MLBPA had their heads in the sand is no excuse.

OK so basically you're deciding what's fact without actually knowing?

At the height of the steroid era the Indians had a huge power hitting team. One of them, Manny Ramirez has been caught twice and also named on a leaked report- basically he's been doing it throughout his career. Totally naive to think that players in the same clubhouse weren't doing the same- it's the way it works.

Thome is known for being a nice amiable chap but a bit thick- what makes you think he was so principled that he would not be doing the same as probably the majority of other players were? Maybe he did, maybe he didn't, but you don't know.

To say A-Rod was generally suspected of taking steroids at Texas is just absolute rubbish. At that time he was seen as a national treasure and even won MVP on a last place team. If his power numbers are unexplained I assume that you think Jose Bautista in on PED's??

You also need to explain to me why pitchers on steroids didn't have the same advantage as hitters.

CFC
19-08-2011, 03:57 PM
Giants falling off the pace here lincecum lost yesterday dbax in control of nl west

Sylar
19-08-2011, 04:19 PM
Giants falling off the pace here lincecum lost yesterday dbax in control of nl west

We appear to be coming back towards the pack in the AL Central, with the Indians having gone on a good series win vs the White Sox.

Hoping we can pick it up, as there's not long to go now! :thumbsup:

CFC
20-08-2011, 03:00 AM
Yes TSSF this is the part of the season where every game counts. I will support anyone out of the NL against the Phillies, cant stand them or their fans. Your a Tigers fan correct?

Sylar
21-08-2011, 09:53 PM
Yes TSSF this is the part of the season where every game counts. I will support anyone out of the NL against the Phillies, cant stand them or their fans. Your a Tigers fan correct?

I'm a very happy Tigers fan right now - I was really worried about what that series vs the Indians would bring us, but we've just blasted a 4.5 game lead over them, so good times for D-town :thumbsup:

James.
27-08-2011, 10:38 PM
We finally won an opening homestand game!! Then along comes Hurricane Irene! Apparently Wright was put on Waivers and the Rockies put in a claim, his numbers at Coors Field are pretty decent - I think he'd thrive in that type of environment. With money so tight, I'd rather keep Jose Reyes and dump Wright.

Sad to see the Pirates fall away lately. Was really hoping they'd break their losing record streak!

Haymaker
28-08-2011, 07:41 AM
It isnt major league I know but having been out here for 6 weeks now I am actually shocked that they put the little league world series on TV. Really?

Sylar
28-08-2011, 08:53 PM
It isnt major league I know but having been out here for 6 weeks now I am actually shocked that they put the little league world series on TV. Really?

Been on over here too, on ESPN America.

I can't quite bring myself to watch any of it mind you...

Haymaker
29-08-2011, 05:02 PM
Been on over here too, on ESPN America.

I can't quite bring myself to watch any of it mind you...

I am finding it a bit wrong. Just... Tv, interviews, thousands of people in the crowd..? They are like 12 years old!!

CFC
30-08-2011, 05:33 AM
So, looking at the tables a betting man would think Yankees, RSox, Rangers and Tigers in the AL and Phillies, Braves, DBacks and Brewers in the NL. The next month cant come fast enough cmon and hurry up the playoffs

Sylar
03-09-2011, 08:01 AM
Take a bow Justin Verlander - win no. 21 last night :not worth

Stuff the Cy Young award - AL MVP!

Sylar
04-09-2011, 09:59 AM
Miggy!

From 8-1 down, Miguel Cabrera hits a walk-off home-run in the bottom of the 9th to give us a 9-8 win over the White Sox. Combined with with Indians losing out to the Royals, we now have a very commanding 6.5 game lead to second place!

Shrekko
04-09-2011, 04:08 PM
Take a bow Justin Verlander - win no. 21 last night :not worth

Stuff the Cy Young award - AL MVP!

There's a reason they have the Cy Young- it's the pitchers MVP. You can't possibly have someone who plays every 5 days as the overall MVP.

I never thought I'd ever be typing this but Curtis Granderson is AL MVP barring a disastrous September. Jacoby Ellsbury is the nearest challenger and I still think even he'd have to do something amazing at the end to win it.

Verlander I think will be a unanimous choice for Cy Young- nobody even close.

Sylar
04-09-2011, 04:37 PM
There's a reason they have the Cy Young- it's the pitchers MVP. You can't possibly have someone who plays every 5 days as the overall MVP.

I never thought I'd ever be typing this but Curtis Granderson is AL MVP barring a disastrous September. Jacoby Ellsbury is the nearest challenger and I still think even he'd have to do something amazing at the end to win it.

Verlander I think will be a unanimous choice for Cy Young- nobody even close.

It's certainly being discussed at decent length amongst many of the pundits, players, coaching staff and fans:

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/post/_/id/6887644/is-justin-verlander-al-mvp

Shrekko
04-09-2011, 05:38 PM
It's certainly being discussed at decent length amongst many of the pundits, players, coaching staff and fans:

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/post/_/id/6887644/is-justin-verlander-al-mvp

Yeah it's been discussed but it won't happen- you know it and I know it.

The clip you linked showed him being classed as a 'pretender' along with Mark Teixera who's recently been nicknamed 'Big Popup' by Yankee fans for his efforts in big situations i.e no chance.

Sylar
04-09-2011, 05:52 PM
Yeah it's been discussed but it won't happen- you know it and I know it.

The clip you linked showed him being classed as a 'pretender' along with Mark Teixera who's recently been nicknamed 'Big Popup' by Yankee fans for his efforts in big situations i.e no chance.

I certainly don't expect it, no, but the fact that his name is being mentioned is a good enough accolade as to how good his season has been.

I'll be amazed if he doesn't get the Cy Young for the year - I'm aware there are other pitchers out there with great records for the year but I think his nearest is CC, with 18 wins and an ERA of 2.99, compared to 21 wins and an ERA of 2.34 for JV.

Sylar
04-09-2011, 09:28 PM
Was looking forward to watching the Marshall game and was a bit annoyed to turn over and find the Phillies @ Marlins game was still going.

Not as disappointed now though, as it's been a great extra innings. Into the top of the 13th and we're tied at 4 - Marlins had the bases loaded in the bottom 12th with only one out, and still couldn't get the win. Marlins have left 17 runners on base and the Phillies 11.

Sylar
04-09-2011, 09:35 PM
Bottom 13th now, Marlins have runners at 1st and 3rd, with only 1 out...and again, the Phillies walk the bases loaded.

Surely this time!

Sylar
04-09-2011, 09:46 PM
Bottom 14th and no end in sight...

And yet again, the Phillies walk the bases loaded, with 2 outs this time. If they can't get the run, they'll have left 23 runners on base this game and have left the bases loaded the last 3 innings in a row!

Sylar
04-09-2011, 09:59 PM
Phillies made to pay for walking the bases loaded, as they hand out a walk off WALK in the bottom of the 14th.

I'm just glad it's over :greengrin