PDA

View Full Version : Wotherspoon.........is he the real deal?

monktonharp
13-02-2011, 09:38 PM
I like the laddie, he does some good stuff but on Saturday he looked as if he does not concentrate for the 90 mins. and i've felt that about him on quite a few occasions. he's been in the first team for 2 seasons now, fair enough he's been shifted about for a wee while but I still think he can do a lot better and make himself into a great profesional if he were to concentrate fully in a game. he said himself last week that he wanted to contribute more re-scoring goals.well step up tae the plate Spoony, never saw any of your trademark shuffle/step over thingy stuff this week. get involved more and show us what you and we know you can do.

DaveF
13-02-2011, 10:26 PM
He's a very good player but he has suffered greatly (IMO) with a combination of being moved all over the place, being played when out of form and also being a young kid in a team devoid of any confidence for a long spell.

He will come good - I'm in little doubt about that, and when the team is settled and playing well I think he'll have a role in it for years to come.

Ed De Gramo
13-02-2011, 10:42 PM
He's a very good player but he has suffered greatly (IMO) with a combination of being moved all over the place, being played when out of form and also being a young kid in a team devoid of any confidence for a long spell.

He will come good - I'm in little doubt about that, and when the team is settled and playing well I think he'll have a role in it for years to come.

This
:top marks

Wotherspiniesta
13-02-2011, 10:47 PM

He's a confidence player, once we start moving up the league we'll see the best of D.

monktonharp
13-02-2011, 10:53 PM

He's a confidence player, once we start moving up the league we'll see the best of D. not arguing, just think he should be more confident of himself , concentrate more , which in turn will contribute more. he's young, but no longer considered a laddie,if he wants to cement his place. we already have lewis Stevenson, and look how it's turned out for him:wink:

KWJ
13-02-2011, 10:56 PM
I think there's a great player in there but this season he seems to be committing a lot of silly fouls and mouthing to the ref.

Lofarl
13-02-2011, 11:02 PM
Petrie will punt him soon enough

monktonharp
13-02-2011, 11:06 PM
Petrie will punt him soon enoughaye, there's a queue at the gate:rolleyes:

sesoim
13-02-2011, 11:24 PM
I think Wotherspoon is like Whittaker - he'll get better with good coaching and good players around him. I do worry that, because of how haphazardly we've been run as a football team since Mowbray left, a few of the youngsters we've had since haven't fulfilled their potential. But if we can get a few good signings in in the summer then hopefully a good mix of youth and experience will get the best out of them.

truehibernian
13-02-2011, 11:32 PM
John Hughes' use of DW was nothing short of negligent IMHO and meant the lad suffered from a confidence crisis far to early in his career.

The boy had only ever known a midfield position, yet Hughes conspired to play him at right back, right midfield, left midfield and off the striker......all in a season. There was no consistency, Hughes never protected him, and to be honest, his form plummetted as well as others in the team.

Calderwood has only ever really played DW where he is best IMHO. Right mid/wing, cutting inside, taking men on. He is a young lad and will have good games and a fair share of bad. But he is never a right back in a million years. Just like Colin Nish is never a "player just behind the strikers in the hole", just as Benji was not a supporting striker again "behind, in the hole" as Hughes would often suggest. Just as Paul Hanlon is never a left back............

I think DW will be a great player for us, with the fans behind him, and in a team that is confident. Players like Palsson, Thornhill, Scott and Miller will only help his progress, and a manager who knows his stuff like Calderwood.

truehibernian
13-02-2011, 11:33 PM
Oh and just like Danny Galbraith is never a left back either.....christ Hughes was pash :agree:

Wotherspiniesta
13-02-2011, 11:49 PM
aye, there's a queue at the gate:rolleyes:

Is there any need to take the mick? :rolleyes:

Wotherspoon's a good player. I'm sure if he became available plenty teams in the SPL would be interested.

matty_f
13-02-2011, 11:50 PM
I think Wotherspoon is like Whittaker - he'll get better with good coaching and good players around him. I do worry that, because of how haphazardly we've been run as a football team since Mowbray left, a few of the youngsters we've had since haven't fulfilled their potential. But if we can get a few good signings in in the summer then hopefully a good mix of youth and experience will get the best out of them.

I reckon Calderwood will improve Wotherspoon. We're already seeing better performances from the young players like Hanlon, Galbraith and Wotherspoon. Booth should also improve on what has been a great start, as well.

I don't know what Calderwood's record is like for bringing through young players, but he's certainly getting more out of these boys than Yogi was, IMHO.

Riordans Boots
13-02-2011, 11:52 PM

:agree::top marks

blackpoolhibs
14-02-2011, 09:00 AM
I think he's better at the minute at right back. He's doing a decent job further up, but apart from the odd time, he hardly goes past a player and whips a cross in. Great energy, and hopefully will keep improving. He's still the best option for us wide right, but he will have to improve, i'm sure he will, but he needs to keep improving to keep his place and for us as a team to improve too.

RIP
14-02-2011, 09:34 AM
Using Saturday as an example he
Lacked the pace to go past his man
His crosses were poor
Discipline/attitude was childish and unprofessional
Positioning was a nightmare - he was meant to be marking their winger but was always caught inside with the winger 20 yards away

Don't get me wrong he's a trier but I always want every player to have a real strength in one particular area. Danny has pace, Ian has strength, Francis can head a ball. Hanlon's timing is the biz, Deek can shoot.

With D he needs to develop a strength - not just be a trier.

jdships
14-02-2011, 09:52 AM
Now that Rankine has "left the building" was wonderong who the next candidate for the "treatment" would be :greengrin
It just wouldn't be right for the two " untouchables" Murray and Riorden to be criticised - would it ? :bitchy:.

Give the lad a break .
He has great ability and will prosper under CC
He was 21 in January , part of a team who were lacking in confidence and leadership - the last thing he needs is to be the next "target" for a slagging .
Why not look for the real culprits if you want to go down this path which I personally see no point in .
Have an opinion by all means but some of the nonsense posted on here about certain players is bordering on the ridiculous

:flag:

DaveF
14-02-2011, 09:53 AM
His crosses were poor
Positioning was a nightmare - he was meant to be marking their winger but was always caught inside with the winger 20 yards away

Don't get me wrong he's a trier but I always want every player to have a real strength in one particular area. Danny has pace, Ian has strength, Francis can head a ball. Hanlon's timing is the biz, Deek can shoot.

I think you are being incredbily harsh on Wotherspoon. You've slated him for his game on Saturday (as an example) yet then went on to back up your 'point' by highlighting mini examples of other players one of whom wasn't even involved on Saturday!

Yes, Danny has pace, but he has no aggression and often fails with final ball.

Ian has strength but not the legs anymore.

Francis can head a ball but was guilty for 2 of United's goal at Tannadice.

Deeks can shoot and can also disappear for an hour.

I'll give you Hanlon :greengrin

Wotherspoon is lacking in a wee bit of confidence, that's all. Help him through it and he'll be a future Hibs star.

jdships
14-02-2011, 09:55 AM
I think you are being incredbily harsh on Wotherspoon. You've slated him for his game on Saturday (as an example) yet then went on to back up your 'point' by highlighting mini examples of other players one of whom wasn't even involved on Saturday!

Wotherspoon is lacking in a wee bit of confidence, that's all. Help him through it and he'll be a future Hibs star.

Pretty Boy
14-02-2011, 10:10 AM
Wotherspoon will come good.

At the moment i feel he still chooses the wrong option a lot of the time. He almost constantly cuts inside and narrows the game rather than trying to beat a man and whip a cross in despite generally having more success when he goes on the outside. He's also lacking an end product a lot of the time.

In saying that there is talent there and with a bit of confidence and a more settled role in the team i think he can develop into a decent player for us.

Judas Iscariot
14-02-2011, 10:16 AM
I think he's overated..

Does 1 good thing then 7-8 shocking things..

Hope he comes good though..

jdships
14-02-2011, 10:48 AM

RIP
14-02-2011, 11:43 AM

Firstly I didn't 'slate him' I assessed his performance from the last game. If I had thought he was mince I would have said so.

Neither did I 'back up my point' by listing other players. I merely pointed out their main contribution to the team and suggested I'm still to see a 'main strength' in D

Perhaps it's aggression? If so - I'd like to see it backed up by a more mature attitude, an end to conceding stupid fouls by dragging people back with his hands, an end to arguing with officials. The comparisons with Whitty are interesting - only Steven had a lot more maturity at that age

I like David's athleticism and energy but his positioning and football brain are currently lacking. His defending was woeful on Saturday and Towell was often left covering 2 men. Maybe being played in the same position each week will build up his understanding of the RM role

So I've cited some weaknesses - maybe others can cite more specific strengths?

DaveF
14-02-2011, 12:00 PM
Firstly I didn't 'slate him' I assessed his performance from the last game. If I had thought he was mince I would have said so.

Neither did I 'back up my point' by listing other players. I merely pointed out their main contribution to the team and suggested I'm still to see a 'main strength' in D

Perhaps it's aggression? If so - I'd like to see it backed up by a more mature attitude, an end to conceding stupid fouls by dragging people back with his hands, an end to arguing with officials. The comparisons with Whitty are interesting - only Steven had a lot more maturity at that age

I like David's athleticism and energy but his positioning and football brain are currently lacking. His defending was woeful on Saturday and Towell was often left covering 2 men. Maybe being played in the same position each week will build up his understanding of the RM role

Good engine, great feet, excellent shooting ability and a willingness to get stuck in. When his confidence returns, I fully expect to see him taking on his men a lot more than he been doing of late.

I have no disagreement with his form being poor over the last few months and I hold Hughes entirely responsible for that. The laddie needed a break and it was clear for all to see but our ex manager.

I'm hoping Calderwood can give him back the spark and move him up to the next level in his own personal development as a pro.

Bishop Hibee
14-02-2011, 12:13 PM
Fittest player in the team for starters. That's why CC rightly put him up front at the end.

Under Yogi, he virtually played two positions, right back and right midfield at the same time some games! Started his 1st team career off so well but had the stuffing knocked out of him by Yogi's incompetent team selection. He'll get better playing in front of a decent right back.

A good close season and playing alongside better players as CC continues to reshape the team and we'll see a more consistent Spoony I think.

truehibernian
14-02-2011, 12:42 PM

Since our new midfield has been in place (v Utd) David nearly scored a wonderful solo effort against Dundee Utd, then scored a lovely goal v St Mirren and then provided the assist for Sodje with the flick on header. Three moments in three games which suggest when used correctly and not mucked around at right back, left mid, right wing, up front (sometimes in the one game by Hughes), DW is a good influence on the team and has ability.

CC is using him correctly and in a confident team DW will be a great asset. Those around him have definitely helped free up the workload a bit and allow him to concentrate on his game more.

Interesting you cite his defending ability on Saturday. I think Ian Murray, until told to at half time, didn't do Callum any favours first half by drifting inside and making the midfield congested and narrow. Not much came down DW and Towell's flank mainly due to DW holding his position IMHO. Again, second half, Kilmarnock were forced inside and forced to play narrow because DW, Murray, Palsson and Thornhill kept their shape better and had some width, thus denying Killie space on the wings.

Only my opinion obviously, but I think you are being unnecessarily harsh on DW.

Beefster
14-02-2011, 12:50 PM
His crosses were poor

And Wotherspoon is one of the few players we have who is capable of dribbling the ball past a man or two.

Is that not a strength? I think it is and think it's a more valuable attribute than most of those you mentioned.

RyeSloan
14-02-2011, 12:51 PM

Wow. I rate Spoony as the best prospect we've seen since Scott Brown.

Along with the basic attributes of fitness and effort he is technically superb. I like his touch, his vision and his ability to run with the ball.

Sure he's not the finished article yet and he has a lot to learn but I think a lot of people (possible you included) underestimate just how hard it is to break into an SPL team and then perform week after week after week....many have tried and failed.

From what I have seen Spoony is a future internationalist and will spend most of his playing days at clubs larger than Hibs.

Finally some of the comments I read on Spoony remind me of the negative stuff you heard around Whittaker, Fletcher etc...some people seem to focus on the negatives to the cost of missing the bleedin' obvious that these players have genuine ability. In Spoony's case he has the physical attributes as well so I am pretty sure he will continue to improve and be another resounding success from our 'production line'.

Gatecrasher
14-02-2011, 12:57 PM
its too early in his career to start doubting him, He did well at the start of last season and faded out, we have had a shocking team for the best part of a year (if not a full year) his potential will only grow as CC will buld a decent team to play with as well as he gains experience and confidence

Gingertosser
14-02-2011, 01:05 PM
He was voted "Player of the Month" for February in the Edinburgh Suite on Saturday.

Admittedly there hasn't been many playerrs to choose from, but DW certainly never lacks in effort.

And (as mentioned before) hopefully this can give him a little confidence, and along with a run in a more settled midfield we can finally see the boy shine.

since90plustwo
14-02-2011, 01:24 PM
John Hughes' use of DW was nothing short of negligent IMHO and meant the lad suffered from a confidence crisis far to early in his career.

The boy had only ever known a midfield position, yet Hughes conspired to play him at right back, right midfield, left midfield and off the striker......all in a season. There was no consistency, Hughes never protected him, and to be honest, his form plummetted as well as others in the team.

Calderwood has only ever really played DW where he is best IMHO. Right mid/wing, cutting inside, taking men on. He is a young lad and will have good games and a fair share of bad. But he is never a right back in a million years. Just like Colin Nish is never a "player just behind the strikers in the hole", just as Benji was not a supporting striker again "behind, in the hole" as Hughes would often suggest. Just as Paul Hanlon is never a left back............

I think DW will be a great player for us, with the fans behind him, and in a team that is confident. Players like Palsson, Thornhill, Scott and Miller will only help his progress, and a manager who knows his stuff like Calderwood.

to be fair, when nish played that role against motherwell last year he was immense haha!

truehibernian
14-02-2011, 01:39 PM
to be fair, when nish played that role against motherwell last year he was immense haha!

If you are talking about the 6-6 game, watch the highlights and Colin Nish's positioning, that will tell you he was not in a million years playing "in the hole". He was up top, with Derek playing left midfield and Stokes up top allowed to drift.

One of Colin's better games admittedly and a great treble has to be said. Put him in the penalty box then yes, he could perhaps become a striker. But for me he was/is unfit, is unintelligent in that he gets caught offside way to often for a striker, and goes to ground more than Osama Bin Laden.

If you play Colin Nish, you also have to play a front line or partner who can work his little socks off for 90 minutes to allow for his lack of speed/fitness/energy. We don't have that luxury.

Sodje works, runs, looks fit as a fiddle, and importantly stands his ground and wins headers. I can't recall him being caught offside since his arrival either but may be wrong.

Sorry to "Nish-bash" but for me Colin has had his time with Hibernian and we need new, dynamic, penalty box strikers.

magnificent_seven
14-02-2011, 04:45 PM
Wee Dee will come good again, just watch.He has all the skills and qualities to be a top player. Cracking down to earth lad too, not getting too big for his boots which is a good sign.

monktonharp
14-02-2011, 11:34 PM
Is there any need to take the mick? :rolleyes:

Wotherspoon's a good player. I'm sure if he became available plenty teams in the SPL would be interested.not takin the mick,was more referring to the other poster who thinks Petrie will sell him soon, Petrie would sell his Granny,that's almost factual.but Spoony is not quite ready for the open market,even Petrie knows that

Albion Hibs
14-02-2011, 11:58 PM
I personally have been critical of him at times. In general I think he is a decent player that has the potential to be a very good player, but he needs to produce this sooner rather than later. In the modern game and compared to our past players that went on to good things 21 is not young and this is not something for hidding behind. Esp when considering at that time players like Murray, Riordan, Caldwell, Brown, Thomson, Whittaker and Fletcher were getting lured away or purchased for 7 figure sums.

I have always felt at right back was his best position and he was far more effective in a game when he goes forward with the ball from further back down the pitch, to that end I do think he is a better right back than towell. He does not have a great deal of pace, but he does have ability to go by a player and for that reason I would be half inclined to switch the two round.

Hughes gave him his chance so he deserves credit for that, but dropping him for Hogg at right back when we went to Ibrox was the first banana skin he chucked at the boy. The changing of position has not helped him, playing in the hole etc silly really wide right positions in games like Ross C away was a particular low point for him.

In any event his performances over the past two games have been an improvement, I hope his goal has helped him and he can push on from here. I guess only time will tell.

cam75
15-02-2011, 10:33 AM
Wow. I rate Spoony as the best prospect we've seen since Scott Brown.

Along with the basic attributes of fitness and effort he is technically superb. I like his touch, his vision and his ability to run with the ball.

Sure he's not the finished article yet and he has a lot to learn but I think a lot of people (possible you included) underestimate just how hard it is to break into an SPL team and then perform week after week after week....many have tried and failed.

From what I have seen Spoony is a future internationalist and will spend most of his playing days at clubs larger than Hibs.

Finally some of the comments I read on Spoony remind me of the negative stuff you heard around Whittaker, Fletcher etc...some people seem to focus on the negatives to the cost of missing the bleedin' obvious that these players have genuine ability. In Spoony's case he has the physical attributes as well so I am pretty sure he will continue to improve and be another resounding success from our 'production line'.
spot on

Bostonhibby
15-02-2011, 05:02 PM

:agree: Nae doubt in my mind that Yogi did nothing for him, ruined his confidence, always fell back on him to play in the positions that Yogi either forgot to sign someone to cover, or couldn't see an alternative, either way there is a player in htere who wil probably have learnt from the backward phase of his career and I am very happy to see him in a more sensible position in a team that might be on the up.

millarco
15-02-2011, 05:40 PM
It's easy to forget that a lot of the youngsters went through dodgy spells as well. O'Connor almost went to Aberdeen when Mowbray came in, Brown looked a hot-headed waste of a jersey at times, Fletcher was rubbish and only had one foot and Whittaker was apparently no Jay Shields.

Wotherspoon shows flashes here and there, hopefully he will continue to develop and improve in a more settled team. He's got to have the confidence to take on players more, which in part comes from the fans not getting on his back if he gets tackled. We've got to encourage players willing to try something different, easy enough to play the easy pass and not take the responsibility to create.

I'd also like to see players introduced earlier. Obviously it has to come down to whether they're good enough, but players at 20/21 should be more or less established. Calderwood doesn't seem to have any concerns about playing kids given the average age of our team and especially defence, hopefully that's a sign of things to come.

matty_f
15-02-2011, 07:07 PM
It's easy to forget that a lot of the youngsters went through dodgy spells as well. O'Connor almost went to Aberdeen when Mowbray came in, Brown looked a hot-headed waste of a jersey at times, Fletcher was rubbish and only had one foot and Whittaker was apparently no Jay Shields.

Wotherspoon shows flashes here and there, hopefully he will continue to develop and improve in a more settled team. He's got to have the confidence to take on players more, which in part comes from the fans not getting on his back if he gets tackled. We've got to encourage players willing to try something different, easy enough to play the easy pass and not take the responsibility to create.

I'd also like to see players introduced earlier. Obviously it has to come down to whether they're good enough, but players at 20/21 should be more or less established. Calderwood doesn't seem to have any concerns about playing kids given the average age of our team and especially defence, hopefully that's a sign of things to come.

Good post.:agree:

Brown, Thomson etc all played from such a young age for the sole reason that we had to play them because we couldn't afford to play more experienced and better players.

As it happens, it worked out well for the players and for the club. Because they were young the fans cut them some slack, and by the time they were Wotherspoon's age they'd had a couple of seasons under their belts, IIRC.

DW is a good player, with a lot of potential to get better.

Viva_Palmeiras
15-02-2011, 07:16 PM

He's a confidence player, once we start moving up the league we'll see the best of D.

I'd wager many of our famed youth development are confidence players so hopefully we give them the support they need they are a big part of our future wOuld be a shame if young players started to feel that ER wasn't the place for them to flourish