PDA

View Full Version : Derek Riordan

Mr Magoo
13-02-2011, 04:55 PM
Is it me or is Riordan a lazy ***** :aok:

Mikey
13-02-2011, 04:57 PM
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/OLD-WWI-WWII-TIN-HAT-HELMET-/320655351923?pt=UK_Collectables_Militaria_LE&hash=item4aa88c6073

Sammy7nil
13-02-2011, 05:01 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUP-_61GP1g

:not worth:not worth:not worth:not worth

Kevvy1875
13-02-2011, 05:03 PM
I don't know...never seen you play so couldn't really say if it's you or Derek that's the lazy ***** tbh.:wink:

sixtwo
13-02-2011, 05:05 PM
legend

Mibbes Aye
13-02-2011, 06:12 PM

:greengrin

High hopes for this, given what followed when you started a thread criticising Scott Brown's behaviour while representing the club :thumbsup:

cammy1969
13-02-2011, 06:24 PM
it's you

Ed De Gramo
13-02-2011, 06:37 PM
2 wins and 2 threads questioning Deek's work rate.....:rolleyes:

Some people just aren't happy

JimBHibees
13-02-2011, 06:43 PM
Sounds a very yammish thing to say. We have just won a couple of games no idea why any genuine hibby would bring this up at this time.

1875godsgift
13-02-2011, 06:45 PM
Ah, but if he spilt his own orange juice would he clean it up?

That's the BIG question.

RIP
13-02-2011, 06:45 PM
Gie Deeks a break - probably in his last few months as a Hibs player

Still capable of the odd flash of magic but increasingly a mere shadow of the player he could have been

I can run faster

Had a couple of Nishesque moments yesterday - tripped over the ball, fell over

Will probably score a wondergoal in our next game

That's Deek for you

Winston Ingram
13-02-2011, 06:50 PM
congratulations on your bravery:wink:

(he is a lazy ***** :duck:)

Viva_Palmeiras
13-02-2011, 06:57 PM
Sounds a very yammish thing to say. We have just won a couple of games no idea why any genuine hibby would bring this up at this time.
Exactly. Prepare for lift off...

monktonharp
13-02-2011, 09:23 PM
Is it me or is Riordan a lazy ***** :aok:it's you magoo

MountcastleHibs
13-02-2011, 10:10 PM

Totally agree. And as you will see from my player ratings on the player ratings thread, I've given my views on him.

sahib
13-02-2011, 10:17 PM

I think he has worked pretty hard the last two games.

1two
14-02-2011, 07:08 AM

I brought it up once, although I can't remember what the time was.

Has anyone else......
Ah forget it.

:greengrin:

Riordans Boots
14-02-2011, 08:27 AM

It's definately you :aok:

Seveno
14-02-2011, 06:14 PM
look at it this way ........players with half his talent have gone on to bigger and better things.

Doesn't take an Einstein to work out why.

ancient hibee
14-02-2011, 06:20 PM
Totally agree. And as you will see from my player ratings on the player ratings thread, I've given my views on him.

No doubt the earth will tremble.

Arch Stanton
14-02-2011, 06:42 PM
There are some players, Gattuso and Lennon spring to mind, that I suspect must have been taking performance enhancing drugs to be able to perform at the level they did.

Some games, last Sat included, Riordan looks like he has been taking Nytol - or maybe he just had a heavy night on the tiles, who knows, but if he can't put in better performances than that then we shouldn't be extending his contract.

essexhibee
14-02-2011, 07:41 PM
He is.

But then his our Derek Riordan. Would you have it any other way?

May 2008. Tynecastle on cold Thursday night. Derek Riordan is a hero and his hate of the hearts is, well quite frankly, heroic!

ozzie
14-02-2011, 08:15 PM
i think there is some reverse psyhcology going on here. love it ;-)

.Sean.
14-02-2011, 08:17 PM
He is.

But then his our Derek Riordan. Would you have it any other way?

May 2008. Tynecastle on cold Thursday night. Derek Riordan is a hero and his hate of the hearts is, well quite frankly, heroic!
May 2009 :wink:

clerriehibs
14-02-2011, 08:51 PM

:jamboclow

MountcastleHibs
14-02-2011, 09:07 PM
No doubt the earth will tremble.

Easy with the sarcasm eh.

I just find this 'he's one of our own' attitude towards Deek frankly embarrassing. Does it mean if he wasn't one of our own we could criticise him all we like? Certainly seems that way. Too many people can't see past what he's done in the past to look at his here and now. The man is one of the great Hibs players, but his form this season is tarnishing that for me.

Viva_Palmeiras
14-02-2011, 09:12 PM

I just find this 'he's one of our own' attitude towards Deek frankly embarrassing. Does it mean if he wasn't one of our own we could criticise him all we like? Certainly seems that way. Too many people can't see past what he's done in the past to look at his here and now. The man is one of the great Hibs players, but his form this season is tarnishing that for me.

Nothing wrong with a bit of togetherness something sorely lacking of late does it really matter where the catalyst comes from?

erin go bragh
14-02-2011, 09:14 PM
who was the lazy b ***** that scored our first goal this year last week which resulted in our first win this year :na na: and who was our last player to score over 100 goals for us :aok: lazy b ***** ? try fin legend
ggtth

J-C
14-02-2011, 09:52 PM

Yes he is but then again he's always been a lazy get but when he has that amount of talent( something you're obviously jealous of ) he can be as lazy as he wants as long as he's still banging in the goals for Hibs.

Arch Stanton
14-02-2011, 10:00 PM
Yes he is but then again he's always been a lazy get but when he has that amount of talent( something you're obviously jealous of ) he can be as lazy as he wants as long as he's still banging in the goals for Hibs.

Hibs didn't start scoring more goals when he came here and wont be scoring less goals when he leaves. If he keeps playing as badly as he did on Saturday then he shouldn't be given the opportunity to score any more goals for us. The number of goals Riordan scores is less relevant than the number of goals Hibs scores.

Alfred E Newman
14-02-2011, 10:26 PM
Hibs didn't start scoring more goals when he came here and wont be scoring less goals when he leaves. If he keeps playing as badly as he did on Saturday then he shouldn't be given the opportunity to score any more goals for us. The number of goals Riordan scores is less relevant than the number of goals Hibs scores.

Dearie me, some folks never give up.

Judas Iscariot
14-02-2011, 10:50 PM

Epic stuff :top marks

Folk should try and appreciate Derek whilst he's still here instead of pathetic bitching..

No player ever again outside the OF will score over 100 career goals for 1 SPL club..

The man is a LEGEND :not worth

7Hero
14-02-2011, 11:00 PM
i think derek was great and i loved him being at the club.

time to move on now though, he's past his sell by date and once again when he goes hibs will get nowt !

interesting to see where he goes though, would be dissapointed if we resigned him as i think his time is up at hibs.

And can i just say again i did love him at the club but he needs to go away for his own good aswell as ours.. You can't have us all worshipping riordan when he is 40 and scoring 3 goals a season because he is "deek, the hearts hater"..

monktonharp
14-02-2011, 11:12 PM

I just find this 'he's one of our own' attitude towards Deek frankly embarrassing. Does it mean if he wasn't one of our own we could criticise him all we like? Certainly seems that way. Too many people can't see past what he's done in the past to look at his here and now. The man is one of the great Hibs players, but his form this season is tarnishing that for me.are you one of us?:hmmm:

TPAKA
14-02-2011, 11:58 PM

1st point I would like to see some stats. He scored 64 goals in 3 seasons with us so if that didn't make us/him score more then I'm not sure what will. I'd like to see our ratio of goals without him over the seasons he wasn't here. :agree:

Latter point, it's completely relevant when the sum total of the other Hibs scorers currently with the club have less than Derek when he's having a "bad season".
Every goal anyone scores has a relevance on the number of goals Hibs score!!!

Also that he's top of assists thus far this season. Yep you're right I wouldn't have in my team either. :confused:

smurf
15-02-2011, 12:19 AM
i think derek was great and i loved him being at the club.

time to move on now though, he's past his sell by date and once again when he goes hibs will get nowt !

interesting to see where he goes though, would be dissapointed if we resigned him as i think his time is up at hibs.

And can i just say again i did love him at the club but he needs to go away for his own good aswell as ours.. You can't have us all worshipping riordan when he is 40 and scoring 3 goals a season because he is "deek, the hearts hater"..

Is this a serious post?

Seriously...

moggie
15-02-2011, 12:34 AM
I wouldve thought any team that was interested in him wouldve been in and offered him a pre season contract in january( thats going on the assumption his contract runs out in the summer). I just find it odd that a man with all this talent and his ability to score countless number of goals doesnt have clubs queuing up to sign him. Or is there something amiss.:rolleyes:

Removed
15-02-2011, 12:35 AM
Is this a serious post?

Seriously...

:agree: I didn't get it either.

MountcastleHibs
15-02-2011, 01:39 AM
are you one of us?:hmmm:

I was awaiting that response. Posters on here that i know will back me up if you really want to question my supporting of Hibs - woodythehibee, greentinted and 500miles.

I support every player that plays in green and white. I support Derek Riordan as long as he is in a Hibs jersey and playing for the club. But when someone comes on a forum asking for people's opinion on something, I'll give mine, whether it follows the 'party line' or not. Or are you only allowed to post on this forum so long as you agree with general consensus and you have a substantial number of posts? Wouldn't make for much of a forum or a platform for debate would it?

marinello59
15-02-2011, 07:14 AM
I was awaiting that response. Posters on here that i know will back me up if you really want to question my supporting of Hibs - woodythehibee, greentinted and 500miles.

I support every player that plays in green and white. I support Derek Riordan as long as he is in a Hibs jersey and playing for the club. But when someone comes on a forum asking for people's opinion on something, I'll give mine, whether it follows the 'party line' or not. Or are you only allowed to post on this forum so long as you agree with general consensus and you have a substantial number of posts? Wouldn't make for much of a forum or a platform for debate would it?
:agree: Certainly wouldn't. :greengrin

I partially agree with you about the 'one of our own' thing. I loved the irony of the song being sung at Inverness being followed shortly afterwards by boos for Nish.

Beefster
15-02-2011, 07:55 AM
1st point I would like to see some stats. He scored 64 goals in 3 seasons with us so if that didn't make us/him score more then I'm not sure what will. I'd like to see our ratio of goals without him over the seasons he wasn't here. :agree:

Latter point, it's completely relevant when the sum total of the other Hibs scorers currently with the club have less than Derek when he's having a "bad season".
Every goal anyone scores has a relevance on the number of goals Hibs score!!!

Also that he's top of assists thus far this season. Yep you're right I wouldn't have in my team either. :confused:

When he left, our league goals scored dropped off slightly (by 5 goals) but league goal difference improved by 5. To counter that, the season he returned, is the worst season we've had, in terms of league goals scored, since 2003.

Our goals scored drastically increased again after Stokes signed. This season, without Stokes, our goals scored will have dropped catastrophically.

In the other players' defence too, Riordan's been pretty much the only consistent outside defence so that won't help the assists of the rest.

J-C
15-02-2011, 09:22 AM
Epic stuff :top marks

Folk should try and appreciate Derek whilst he's still here instead of pathetic bitching..

No player ever again outside the OF will score over 100 career goals for 1 SPL club..

The man is a LEGEND :not worth

Are you agreeing or disagreeing with me :confused:

I thought my post was a positive for Derek and that I was all in favour of him.

J-C
15-02-2011, 09:32 AM

Last season playing as a left sided mid he scored 13 goals and 6 assists, under Mixu playing almost as a winger he got 12 goals and 6 assists and so far this season playing in argueably one of the most inept Hibs team ever assembled he's got 9 goals and 3 assists, he's also topped the stats for shots on/pff target for the past 3 season.

And folk still have a go at Riordan for being lazy and not doing enough, without all his goals/assits etc Hibs would be in the **** nearly all the time.

Judas Iscariot
15-02-2011, 09:38 AM
Are you agreeing or disagreeing with me :confused:

I thought my post was a positive for Derek and that I was all in favour of him.

I was agreeing mate :greengrin

J-C
15-02-2011, 09:39 AM
I was agreeing mate :greengrin

K no probs, just woke up and brains still in sleep mode. :greengrin

blackpoolhibs
15-02-2011, 09:54 AM
Imo Riordan is lazy, he will never run around like Rankin or Stevenson or even Wotherspoon. But what you get with Deek is goals and assists. When we are playing well, he normally gets on or very near 20 goals, with 7-10 assists. When we are poor, these stats do dip, but again he does top scoring and assist charts.

Its up to each and every individual to weigh up if he's worth it or not, while he's frustrating at times, sometimes contributes very little, he invariably will still end up either scoring or creating a goal that in the end for me always says he's worth his place.

And remember we are aiming to have a better team next season and beyond, his stats will again imo improve with that better side.

Arch Stanton
15-02-2011, 10:25 AM
Dearie me, some folks never give up.

Give up what precisely? I recognise his talents and am happy to praise him if he does well. I was very encouraged by how he did against St Mirren and said as much - he and Sodje looked like they had the beginnings of a useful partnership.

However, he was rubbish yesterday, there is no other word for it. How can a player of his undoubted skill trip over the ball twice in a game? We have a difficult time ahead of us and we can be assured that none of the teams we will be playing will have players that take wee time-outs during the game.

Murray struggled with the pace of the game but came on to play a blinder - Riordan, I am sorry to say, did not.

Golden Bear
15-02-2011, 10:41 AM
More than a few of DR's previous Managers didn't see him as an automatic pick and I think that speaks volumes.

There are pros and cons for having him in the team and I don't think he'll be spoilt for choice if he does decide to leave at the end of the season. In fact he could have a problem unless there is a sudden improvement in his current form.

HibbyAndy
15-02-2011, 11:52 AM
Imo Riordan is lazy, he will never run around like Rankin or Stevenson or even Wotherspoon. But what you get with Deek is goals and assists. When we are playing well, he normally gets on or very near 20 goals, with 7-10 assists. When we are poor, these stats do dip, but again he does top scoring and assist charts.

Its up to each and every individual to weigh up if he's worth it or not, while he's frustrating at times, sometimes contributes very little, he invariably will still end up either scoring or creating a goal that in the end for me always says he's worth his place.

And remember we are aiming to have a better team next season and beyond, his stats will again imo improve with that better side.

This.

ancient hibee
15-02-2011, 12:57 PM

Rankine and Stevenson can run around for ever and will never contribute10% of what Riordan does.The important thing about football is to get to the right place at the right time.You don't do that as often as Riordan does by being lazy.You don't become a completely two footed player by being lazy.He's off form at the moment-it'll come back.

Jones28
15-02-2011, 01:01 PM
Sarcasm isn't lost on some people is it? :doh:

clerriehibs
15-02-2011, 02:12 PM
More than a few of DR's previous Managers didn't see him as an automatic pick and I think that speaks volumes.

There are pros and cons for having him in the team and I don't think he'll be spoilt for choice if he does decide to leave at the end of the season. In fact he could have a problem unless there is a sudden improvement in his current form.

You made that up; what are you, a Sun journo? He's hardly had "more than a few" managers ... and for the majority, he is/was an automatic pick.

Golden Bear
15-02-2011, 02:18 PM
You made that up; what are you, a Sun journo? He's hardly had "more than a few" managers ... and for the majority, he is/was an automatic pick.

Did I make the names of Tony Mowbray and Gordon Strachan up? Or for that matter Mixu?

:confused:

jdships
15-02-2011, 02:20 PM
Serious question

Is DR becoming a "luxury" we cannot really "afford".?
Not for financial reasons but in playing terms .

:flag:

basehibby
15-02-2011, 03:34 PM

In case you didn't notice, Riordan has NEVER been known for his work rate either at Hibs or during his short spell at Celtic. He has, however, ALWAYS been in amongst the goals and, at Hibs, with the exception of one season when Stokes beat him to it, he's been the top goalscorer every season.

Dunno about you but that speaks volumes for me as to his value to the team.

By the way, I remember seeing an interview with one Gary Linkeker (Golden boot winner at 1 WC IIRC). Gary was asked how he managed never to get booked through out his whole career at which he laughed, explaining that it was easy cos he NEVER ACTUALLY TACKLED ANYONE.
Lineker went on to explain that the reason behind this was that he liked to save his energy for when crucial chances came along in the box in which an extra inch might make all the difference and win the points with a goal.

I know that Lineker and Riordan are different kinds of players entirely, but I've always figured that Deeks shared Linekers thinking on the value of a striker running round like a headless chicken which is why he sometimes appears not to be trying too hard.

Hibee Daz
15-02-2011, 04:54 PM
In case you didn't notice, Riordan has NEVER been known for his work rate either at Hibs or during his short spell at Celtic. He has, however, ALWAYS been in amongst the goals and, at Hibs, with the exception of one season when Stokes beat him to it, he's been the top goalscorer every season.

Dunno about you but that speaks volumes for me as to his value to the team.

By the way, I remember seeing an interview with one Gary Linkeker (Golden boot winner at 1 WC IIRC). Gary was asked how he managed never to get booked through out his whole career at which he laughed, explaining that it was easy cos he NEVER ACTUALLY TACKLED ANYONE.
Lineker went on to explain that the reason behind this was that he liked to save his energy for when crucial chances came along in the box in which an extra inch might make all the difference and win the points with a goal.

I know that Lineker and Riordan are different kinds of players entirely, but I've always figured that Deeks shared Linekers thinking on the value of a striker running round like a headless chicken which is why he sometimes appears not to be trying too hard.

You do recollect correctly it was 86, thank god for Maradona eh!
Anyhoo it sounded like an interesting interview and I agree about strikers using their savvy to conserve energy so that they can pounce when the time is right.

There are some strikers that contradict this like Kenny Miller, but thats only because he's blessed with incredible natural stamina!

I think we should all just look forward too Deek scoring a few more goals for us and those goals contributing to our SPL survival.
I agree with a few other posters that I think this will unfortunately be his last season which is a shame really, as he has proven that with better class of player beside him he does score and create more than his fair share!

basehibby
15-02-2011, 05:06 PM
You do recollect correctly it was 86, thank god for Maradona eh!
Anyhoo it sounded like an interesting interview and I agree about strikers using their savvy to conserve energy so that they can pounce when the time is right.

There are some strikers that contradict this like Kenny Miller, but thats only because he's blessed with incredible natural stamina!

I think we should all just look forward too Deek scoring a few more goals for us and those goals contributing to our SPL survival.
I agree with a few other posters that I think this will unfortunately be his last season which is a shame really, as he has proven that with better class of player beside him he does score and create more than his fair share!

Don't you rate his recent comments re wanting to see his career out with Hibs then? Or maybe you don't think Rod will splosh the dosh???

TPAKA
15-02-2011, 09:34 PM
When he left, our league goals scored dropped off slightly (by 5 goals) but league goal difference improved by 5. To counter that, the season he returned, is the worst season we've had, in terms of league goals scored, since 2003.

Our goals scored drastically increased again after Stokes signed. This season, without Stokes, our goals scored will have dropped catastrophically.

In the other players' defence too, Riordan's been pretty much the only consistent outside defence so that won't help the assists of the rest.

Thanks Beefster. Basically what I can draw from that is he enjoy's/plays better with someone else who can lightne the load a little when it comes to scoring goals. This would also appear to being out the best in him over the course.

I think as someone posted below he has been pretty consistent even when we had "better players or certianly a better team" in respect of goals scored & assists.

I'm still what I'd call old fashioned I suppose in that I just want a goalscorer to score goals, midfielders to do their jobs & defenders/keepers theirs.

To quote Alex the Meerkat; "Simples". :agree:

clerriehibs
16-02-2011, 06:11 PM
Did I make the names of Tony Mowbray and Gordon Strachan up? Or for that matter Mixu?

:confused:

Now you're making it up that Mowbray and Mixu didn't see fit to play him much.

Face facts ... it's only been Strachan.