PDA

View Full Version : who will / should partner hanlon against the buds

ozzie
13-02-2011, 11:56 AM
who do we think will slot in at the back? pallson? or would that weaken our midfield. will stephens get his chance?

bingo70
13-02-2011, 11:58 AM
who do we think will slot in at the back? pallson with scott in midfield? or would that weaken our midfield. will stephens get his chance?

I think now we've finally seem to have a midfield thats working we shouldn't go tinkering with it, pallson should stay in there.

I'd bring Thicot in, thats his natural position and whenever he's played there he's never let us down, i actually think he could be a better option in there than Dickoh so he may struggle to win his place back.

scoopyboy
13-02-2011, 11:59 AM
who do we think will slot in at the back? pallson with scott in midfield? or would that weaken our midfield. will stephens get his chance?

If Hibs don't contest the red I don't see an option other than Palsson.

Don't think he will play Stephens although he will have him on the bench.

Kevvy1875
13-02-2011, 11:59 AM
who do we think will slot in at the back? pallson? or would that weaken our midfield. will stephens get his chance?

I'd be tempted to go for Stephens. The midfield has played well the last couple of games and I reckon we should look to keep that going. The more games they play in there the better the understanding.

GreenCastle
13-02-2011, 12:16 PM
It will be interesting to see what he does.

Pallson would do a job there but then we would miss him in defensive midfield.

If he did that I would expect Miller and Scott to come in for Murray and Dickoh.

Stevens wasn't even on bench yesterday :confused:

I want to see him play but seems that would be a young back four plus how match fit is he ?

blackpoolhibs
13-02-2011, 12:19 PM
I hope we contest the decision, if not i'd imagine Palson will step back and Scott will come in.

greenlex
13-02-2011, 12:20 PM
If thicot is fit he should be in there.

Twiglet
13-02-2011, 12:24 PM
I think if Stephens was brought in at CB then Stack would have to be in goals. The defence will need someone to talk to them and be commanding in the box.
This is assuming Hibs don't appeal and win Dickohs' red card.

GreenCastle
13-02-2011, 12:24 PM
Thicot has always done well back there with usually Murray next to him - he isn't a right back.

I remember against Barcelona I am sure Thicot came on defensive midfield - is centre back his favoured position ?

scoopyboy
13-02-2011, 12:25 PM

Thicot isn't fit.............. to wear a Hibs shirt IMO.

Neither Stephens nor Thicot on the bench yesterday, I think that tells us something about CC's thoughts.

Cracker
13-02-2011, 12:33 PM

Neither Stephens nor Thicot on the bench yesterday, I think that tells us something about CC's thoughts.

Not on bench because of injury!

greenlex
13-02-2011, 12:38 PM

Maybe so Scoops but as we will be two possible CB's down next week so leaves us a bit exposed. (Damn you Webster) Options to shift things about on the park as happened yesterday wont be available. I am sure I had heard yesterday that Thicot was struggling with an injury too.
I would keep the midfield intact and bring in Thicot.

_hucks_
13-02-2011, 12:42 PM
We'll appeal, and appeal successfully. Both penalties given yesterday looked dodgy, but the Killie one in particular was an incorrect decision. The Hibs TV cameras showed that Dickoh won the ball cleanly and successfully.

Hamish
13-02-2011, 12:45 PM

Does he not rate Stephens Scoopboy? Lad came with a good write up from Norwich.:dunno:

scoopyboy
13-02-2011, 12:47 PM
Maybe so Scoops but as we will be two possible CB's down next week so leaves us a bit exposed. (Damn you Webster) Options to shift things about on the park as happened yesterday wont be available. I am sure I had heard yesterday that Thicot was struggling with an injury too.
I would keep the midfield intact and bring in Thicot.

I didn't realise Thicot was injured.

We have to do something with Murray and Dickoh out.

Palsson to centre half with Miller and Scott into midfield would be my shout and I think it will be CC's as well.

I would go with Stephens before Thicot for the simple reason he will be here next season and Thicot won't.

greenlex
13-02-2011, 12:50 PM

Palsson to centre half with Miller and Scott into midfield would be my shout and I think it will be CC's as well.

I would go with Stephens before Thicot for the simple reason he will be here next season and Thicot won't.
I am of the one change rather than two school of thought on this.
Stephens is more inexperienced than Thicot so for me it would be Thichot.
Its a massive game next week and a must not lose game.
Having said that I will leave it to CC.:greengrin

scoopyboy
13-02-2011, 12:51 PM
Does he not rate Stephens Scoopboy? Lad came with a good write up from Norwich.:dunno:

I don't know is the honest answer Hamish.

It may be that he feels the laddie is too young but I'm only guessing.

scoopyboy
13-02-2011, 12:55 PM
I am of the one change rather than two school of thought on this.
Stephens is more inexperienced than Thicot so for me it would be Thichot.
Its a massive game next week and a must not lose game.
Having said that I will leave it to CC.:greengrin

Agreed.

But it could be argued that it wouldn't be much change at all as Miller and Scott finished in midfield with Palsson at centre half.

As you say CC will decide.

--------
13-02-2011, 12:56 PM
I don't know is the honest answer Hamish.

It may be that he feels the laddie is too young but I'm only guessing.

I think a Towells-Stephens-Hanlon-Booth back 4 looks a tad inexperienced for such an important game, but I'm of the school of thought that if you're good enough, you're old enough.

I'm also of the school of thought that if Thicot plays, I want Stack in goal to organise things.

How about putting Murray back beside PH and playing Scotty in midfield?

Reaper
13-02-2011, 12:58 PM
I think a Towells-Stephens-Hanlon-Booth back 4 looks a tad inexperienced for such an important game, but I'm of the school of thought that if you're good enough, you're old enough.

I'm also of the school of thought that if Thicot plays, I want Stack in goal to organise things.

To me that's the most obvious answer.

Big_D
13-02-2011, 01:00 PM

Is Murray not suspended too ?

BEEJ
13-02-2011, 01:01 PM

Murray now on two match suspension.

scoopyboy
13-02-2011, 01:03 PM
To me that's the most obvious answer.

Agreed but not on with Murray suspended.

Scooter
13-02-2011, 01:07 PM
i feel we cant lose Pallson in midfield.

maybe Hart at CH

--------
13-02-2011, 01:09 PM
Agreed but not on with Murray suspended.

Oh sugar-puffs. So he is.

Thicot or Stephens, then. Hmm. :rolleyes:

BEEJ
13-02-2011, 01:11 PM

maybe Hart at CH
Seems to be lacking in the aerial department.

So that would be a 'no' from me.

Don Giovanni
13-02-2011, 01:16 PM

Thicot is brutal.

He should be one of the first to go. (Can't believe he's managed to hang around at the club as long as he has to be honest).

Who signed him, by the way? Mixu?

--------
13-02-2011, 01:28 PM
Thicot is brutal.

He should be one of the first to go. (Can't believe he's managed to hang around at the club as long as he has to be honest).

Who signed him, by the way? Mixu?

Yup. He looked a half-decent defensive midfielder, tbh, and he played well at CB in the Caspar derby at the pig-pen. But that night he had Murray beside him organising and running the back four. How he'd be with Hanlon ...

I think we're going to have to appeal Dickoh's red card and see how things sort themselves out for the following game.

Or play young Davie.

truehibernian
13-02-2011, 01:39 PM
Has to be Palsson that drops back into CH for a number of reasons.

1 - Comfortable in that position and can play the position without much readjustment to the system

2 - Physically fit and importantly match fit and up to speed with the SPL

3- Played against them already and has a wee bit knowledge of the opposition

The most logical team switch is to then push Scott back into the midfield and perhaps Miller too, or even Danny Galbraith at left midfield. Danny works hard, will have energy to help Boothy, and for a young player also has a bite in the tackle too.

I would however hope that Hibs appeal the red card as from replays it looked very harsh indeed.

Albion Hibs
13-02-2011, 02:21 PM
I think yesterday was a reasonable indication as to what he would do if Dickoh was suspended - which I dont think he will be following any possible appeal.

I can see him putting Palsson at CH like yesterday, and bringing in Miller and using Scott in place of Murray who will be suspended.

St Mirren probably have more to offer in the air up front and less in the midfield in terms of passing/ability so I guess it may depend on who he feels is better in the air out of Palsson and Thicot and whether or not a Scott/Miller combo would be successful in the midfield.

Hibstrooper
13-02-2011, 02:36 PM
Could we maybe see a new signing in there? CC says he is still keen to bring people in and we know he is looking at that position after making a move for Webster

down-the-slope
13-02-2011, 03:27 PM

:agree: thats the one for me

greenlex
13-02-2011, 03:30 PM
You havent really read the thread have you? :greengrin

scoopyboy
13-02-2011, 03:36 PM

TornadoHibby
13-02-2011, 03:57 PM

:agree:

He's never let us down in an hour of need and will do ok in central defence IMO!

Palsson would be wasted in there un-necessarily IMO! :agree:

Hibee Daz
13-02-2011, 03:58 PM
It has to be Palsson slotting into the void for me too, the laddie shows confidence and composure way beyond his years and Jimmy Scott replacing him midfield doesn't pose any problems as he coped well against the Buddies the last time!

But I'm confident we'll win the appeal and the only change will be Miller for Murray.

scoopyboy
13-02-2011, 04:01 PM
:agree:

He's never let us down in an hour of need and will do ok in central defence IMO!

Palsson would be wasted in there un-necessarily IMO! :agree:

Thicot has never let us down.

I don't think I've ever disagreed with a post more.

BEEJ
13-02-2011, 04:01 PM

And posts #21 and #22 - lest there be any doubt on the matter.

:greengrin

scoopyboy
13-02-2011, 04:02 PM
And posts #21 and #22 - lest there be any doubt on the matter.

:greengrin

point taken sir.

greenlex
13-02-2011, 04:17 PM
Thicot has never let us down.

I don't think I've ever disagreed with a post more.
He is not a right back Scoops but I think you would be hard pushed to identify a game where he let us down playing CB. IMO of course

scoopyboy
13-02-2011, 04:24 PM
He is not a right back Scoops but I think you would be hard pushed to identify a game where he let us down playing CB. IMO of course

The only two games I can recall him playing CB were both at Tynecastle where I would be first to admit he played well.

However I must admit I would rather not see him play for Hibs again. I would also say the same about McBride and Rankin.

greenlex
13-02-2011, 04:26 PM
The only two games I can recall him playing CB were both at Tynecastle where I would be first to admit he played well.

However I must admit I would rather not see him play for Hibs again. I would also say the same about McBride and Rankin.
:agree: Unfortunately we are talking about next week and not next season. :greengrin

truehibernian
13-02-2011, 04:27 PM

I have always seen Thicot as a decent defensive midfielder, and like you say never a right back.

I like Thicot though for his versatility, however this season he has been culpable for goals conceded, notably against St Mirren and his last games v Celtic and Motherwell (not attacking Stokes v Celtic at 0-0 and then getting caught at the near post v Well at 1-0)

We have a winning team with a stronger mentality, so why tinker too much in my book. Palsson drops back, Scott comes in for him, and then you choose between Miller or Galbraith to replace Murray, again only my opinion.

scoopyboy
13-02-2011, 04:30 PM
:agree: Unfortunately we are talking about next week and not next season. :greengrin

If Thicot had to play for Hibs again then I would want it to be at CB.

My biggest concern with him is I think for a guy with a good physique he has a heart the size of a pea.

Michael Higdon would bully him for the duration he was on the pitch.

GreenCastle
13-02-2011, 04:34 PM

maybe Hart at CH

:shocked:

That would be a disaster :greengrin

St Mirren are physical up top so whoever plays need to deal with that.

Pallson has the class to play there but he will be missed in defensive midfield.

--------
13-02-2011, 04:56 PM
:shocked:

That would be a disaster :greengrin

St Mirren are physical up top so whoever plays need to deal with that.

Pallson has the class to play there but he will be missed in defensive midfield.

On the basis that fewest changes are best, and that players should play in positions natural to them, play Thicot in the back four, Stack in goal, and play Scotty in midfield to replace Ian M.

And PRAY. :rolleyes:

NORTHERNHIBBY
13-02-2011, 05:13 PM
I would go with Stephens and keep the same shape. I think there will be a lot of the ball in the air, but as well as winning headers, we need to deny them time fire in decent crosses, so it is not all about the back four. This is a must win game for them and a draw would be ok for us. Sit in, be patient, and hit the, on the counter.

essexhibee
13-02-2011, 05:24 PM
I think calderwood will most likely bring jimmy into CM and push murray back to CB. That's most likely will happen IMO. Which I would be happy with .

If not then Stephens or thicot should be given the chance. With maybe scott starting in place of murray but that could be a dis-service to ian - didnt see the game so didnt see his performance.

GreenCastle
13-02-2011, 05:36 PM
Rumor has it..

Ian Murray is suspended :greengrin

--------
13-02-2011, 06:26 PM
Rumor has it..

Ian Murray is suspended :greengrin

AW RIGHT! My bad - getting auld - OK?

Unforgiving buncha whatsits... :brickwall

hibsbollah
13-02-2011, 06:27 PM
I think now we've finally seem to have a midfield thats working we shouldn't go tinkering with it, pallson should stay in there.

I'd bring Thicot in, thats his natural position and whenever he's played there he's never let us down, i actually think he could be a better option in there than Dickoh so he may struggle to win his place back.

Yep:agree:

Dashing Bob S
13-02-2011, 08:18 PM
I'd go to ICT to get Chris Hogg back on loan.

AlbertK86
13-02-2011, 08:22 PM
has to be Thicot. Don't feel he has had much of a chance in his favoured position and when he has played there I feel he has done well.

Palsson is an option but we've at last managed to find someone who can play that holding role so would rather keep him there where he can influence more of the play going forward as well

Would like to see Stephens get a shot in there once we are clear from relegation but for now it would be unfair given his lack of experience.

Scott into Murray role

3 points and hopefully we will be well on our way to climbing clear of relegation.

Well done to CC. His signings have had a massive influence on the team. seems the passion is back in their play. night and day from that horrendous embarressment in the cup at Ayr.

PeterboroHibee
13-02-2011, 08:34 PM
Would rather we tried to keep more or less the same team, with just players coming in for those who are suspended when needed. Think CC likes to play about with things though, can see Miller and Scott coming in and Palsson being pushed to CB.

Is a young defence but is probably the best we can put out without dirsupting things too much. Would like to see Stephens get a proper chance, hes the same age as Palsson so going to be inexperienced either way, but cant see him coming in.

GreenCastle
14-02-2011, 11:33 AM
According to CC in the Scotsman today he is thinking Stevens or Thicot.

Thicot is a better centre half than right back :agree:

GloryGlory
14-02-2011, 11:37 AM

Unfortunately, the way our midfielders are picking up yellow cards, it won't be long before we have to call on the likes of Rankin, McBride, Stevenson, et al!

JoeT_WasTheBest
14-02-2011, 11:45 AM
According to CC in the Scotsman today he is thinking Stevens or Thicot.

Thicot is a better centre half than right back :agree:

The article also said that Murray is apparently suspended :agree:

--------
14-02-2011, 03:49 PM
The article also said that Murray is apparently suspended :agree:

IS he? REALLY? :rolleyes: