PDA

View Full Version : Zouma explains his move to Middlesbrough

BEEJ
13-02-2011, 11:32 AM
Zemmama explains some of his reasoning behind his move south in the January window.

“IT WAS hard to leave Hibs but I’m looking forward to the challenge of Middlesbrough,” states Riverside new-boy Merouane Zemmama.

The Moroccan midfielder was a bargain signing by Boro boss Tony Mowbray in last month’s transfer window and he can’t wait to show the fans the dazzling array of skills in his locker.

Mowbray, of course, signed Zemmama for Hibs back in 2006 just before leaving to manage West Brom, but saw enough of the midfield maestro to know he’d be worth taking another punt on in the future.

That he has done, but Zemmama himself had built up a cult following back at Easter Road and admits it was a wrench to leave the Edinburgh side – but the lure of a new challenge proved to be too much.

He said: “First of all I’m very happy to be here at Middlesbrough. “It is a good club and I’ve been made to feel very welcome.

“I am pleased to be here. I want to do my best for Tony Mowbray and for the club.

“From my time at Hibs, the manager has always supported me. I like him for his personality and his honesty.

“It was hard to leave Hibs as I had some good years there and the fans at Easter Road were great with me.

“However, I would like to reassure them that I didn’t leave because of the league position that they are in right now (second from bottom in the SPL).

“Some of my friends at the club had moved on and I was wanting to experience a new challenge and when Middlesbrough said they were wanting to buy me I was very interested.

“Of course there’s the fact that I’ve worked with Tony before, but I also felt that a change was as good as a rest and now I’m looking forward to doing my best for Middlesbrough.”

http://www.sundaysun.co.uk/sport/middlesbrough-fc/boro-news/2011/02/13/merouane-zemmama-s-delighted-to-be-at-boro-79310-28161987/

Credit to him. Obviously still has feelings for Hibs. Most players don't even give their previous clubs a second thought when they leave, far less refer to them in interviews.

Hope he does well down there.

blackpoolhibs
13-02-2011, 11:36 AM
I dont give a toss what that little prick has to say now. After the way the club helped him over the period he was at easter road, imo he owed us. Hope his next sheites a hedgehog.

northgreen24
13-02-2011, 11:45 AM
have to agree with BH he played well for hibs but we were also bloody good to him. probably the most injured player other than boozy at the club and if he cared that much he would have stayed to help us get out of the mess we were in.

I am fully aware that he had to look after himself as the move might not have been there in the summber but that being the case he is just like everyone else looking after number one.

fife hfc
13-02-2011, 11:45 AM
I dont give a toss what that little prick has to say now. After the way the club helped him over the period he was at easter road, imo he owed us. Hope his next sheites a hedgehog.

:tee hee: Not bitter at all towards him then?

3pm
13-02-2011, 11:47 AM
'Experience a new challenge' = £'s.

Good riddance. He won't be missed.

rj hibs
13-02-2011, 11:57 AM

Good to see you choose to remember him by all the great moments he gave us.:wink:

basehibby
13-02-2011, 11:58 AM
This interview confirms for me what I'd thougfht at the time - that Zemama felt a real connection to Hibs and would not have lacked for commitment if told he was staying.

He obviously expressed the desire to take the offer from Middlesborough and was allowed to leave for a fee by RP/CC - I felt this was a mistake at the time but will be happy to let bygones be bygones if the current resurgence is continued and the threat of relegation becomes a distant bad dream.

ScottB
13-02-2011, 12:08 PM
Considering he never completed his challenge at Hibs; making it through a bloody season playing more games than he missed, maybe a bit rich saying he wanted a new challenge.

I suspect the friends leaving he's mentioning would be Benji?

sambajustice
13-02-2011, 12:21 PM
I said ages and ages ago we should have let him go. Got next to no return on the time and money invested in him. Got a couple of mates in middlesborough and i've told them not to expect much. Even when he was fit we didn't get all that much out of him!!

Good riddance!

Jim44
13-02-2011, 12:21 PM
Middlesborough are hopeless. Good old Swansea took care of them yesterday coming from 3-1 down to win 4-3. A typical Mowbrey experience and long may it continue. Enjoy your stay Zouma.

zlatan
13-02-2011, 12:29 PM
I said ages and ages ago we should have let him go. Got next to no return on the time and money invested in him. Got a couple of mates in middlesborough and i've told them not to expect much. Even when he was fit we didn't get all that much out of him!!

Good riddance!

We completely capitulated under Hughes when he got injured. If I remember correctly we were also on a decent streak under Mixu until he got crocked.

I'm fairly indifferent to his exit, only because of the injury problems, but he was a vital part of our side when fully fit.

--------
13-02-2011, 12:47 PM
Middlesborough are hopeless. Good old Swansea took care of them yesterday coming from 3-1 down to win 4-3. A typical Mowbrey experience and long may it continue. Enjoy your stay Zouma.

Ah but Jim - I'm sure they'll win more than they lose.... :rolleyes:

Looks as if we're about to see just how suited to a relegation dogfight Mr Zouma really is.

God Petrie
13-02-2011, 12:48 PM
I think it was the right time for both Hibs and Zemmama for him to move on. Great player on his day - some of the comments from halfwits in this thread perhaps demonstrate why more skilful entertaining players like Zouma don't come to the SPL.

_hucks_
13-02-2011, 12:53 PM
As much as Hibs were good to him, he's been offered a chance to play in a more competitive league, with undoubtedly a much higher wage as well as a manager who will be better suited to his style.

As fans, loyalty isn't really something we can expect from players in today's game. Of course you see the players who spend long periods at clubs they love, with your Totti's and Gerrard's being perfect examples. Most, however, are not like this. It's come to a point where what one should expect from a player is complete commitment and professionalism at their time at the club.

Whilst some may debate whether we got this from Zouma, in his time at Hibs, when fit he was one of our best players, and he was able to play through Rammadan and the likes to a high level which suggests a level of hard work from him. When he was on form he was a delight to watch, and should be remembered as such.

Players who want to make the most they can from their careers will often move on from clubs like Hibs when they see a bigger move become available, and we as fans need to accept this. I am glad that Zemmama has spoken highly of the club in this interview, and I really do wish him all the best in the future.

Reaper
13-02-2011, 01:13 PM
As much as Hibs were good to him, he's been offered a chance to play in a more competitive league, with undoubtedly a much higher wage as well as a manager who will be better suited to his style.

As fans, loyalty isn't really something we can expect from players in today's game. Of course you see the players who spend long periods at clubs they love, with your Totti's and Gerrard's being perfect examples. Most, however, are not like this. It's come to a point where what one should expect from a player is complete commitment and professionalism at their time at the club.

Whilst some may debate whether we got this from Zouma, in his time at Hibs, when fit he was one of our best players, and he was able to play through Rammadan and the likes to a high level which suggests a level of hard work from him. When he was on form he was a delight to watch, and should be remembered as such.

Players who want to make the most they can from their careers will often move on from clubs like Hibs when they see a bigger move become available, and we as fans need to accept this. I am glad that Zemmama has spoken highly of the club in this interview, and I really do wish him all the best in the future.

Yeah League 1 shortly :devil: (hopefully, I hate Middlesborough)

Green Mikey
13-02-2011, 01:18 PM
have to agree with BH he played well for hibs but we were also bloody good to him. probably the most injured player other than boozy at the club and if he cared that much he would have stayed to help us get out of the mess we were in.

I am fully aware that he had to look after himself as the move might not have been there in the summber but that being the case he is just like everyone else looking after number one.

Since he is injury prone and not the sort of player that Calderwood seems to favour then it could quite feasibly have been a mutual decsion for Zouma to leave. Zouma leaving freed up wages for the new signings that have helped us win 2 games now, in his own way he may have helped us get out this mess:wink:

--------
13-02-2011, 01:21 PM
Since he is injury prone and not the sort of player that Calderwood seems to favour then it could quite feasibly have been a mutual decsion for Zouma to leave. Zouma leaving freed up wages for the new signings that have helped us win 2 games now, in his own way he may have helped us get out this mess:wink:

" Nothing in his life became him like the leaving it...", you mean? :devil:

Reaper
13-02-2011, 01:22 PM

Think your bang on the money there. We may have to accept that Calderwood is going to move a few folk on that we may not wish to leave, but, quite simply they don't fit into his game plan and vision for the team long term.

Beefster
13-02-2011, 01:25 PM
So basically he says he moved because he wanted to move. Insightful.

Kaiser1962
13-02-2011, 02:32 PM

Yip. And here was me thinking that he was forced out by money grabbing Petrie against his (and Calderwood's) wishes. :rolleyes:

Sammy7nil
13-02-2011, 03:01 PM

:top marks I agree.
I would like to hope he was encouraged to move rather than he engineered a move, but it really does not matter.
I would have loved to see him in this midfield with 3 players who can put themselves about but hey ho good luck Zouma and thanks, as the poster said a Joy to Watch.

hibsbollah
13-02-2011, 03:06 PM
:top marks I agree.
I would like to hope he was encouraged to move rather than he engineered a move, but it really does not matter.
I would have loved to see him in this midfield with 3 players who can put themselves about but hey ho good luck Zouma and thanks, as the poster said a Joy to Watch.

At last, sense prevails :top marks
Will always be one of my all time favourite players; and thanks for the autographed picture for my daughter, Merouane, you're an absolute gentleman.

ScottB
13-02-2011, 04:12 PM
I think it was the right time for both Hibs and Zemmama for him to move on. Great player on his day - some of the comments from halfwits in this thread perhaps demonstrate why more skilful entertaining players like Zouma don't come to the SPL.

Entertaining players are more than welcome, they just need the physical durability to take a tackle without spending a few months on the treatment table.

Great player, but for me he'd be better off in Spain or somewhere like that.

Luna_Asylum
13-02-2011, 04:29 PM

“Some of my friends at the club had moved on and I was wanting to experience a new challenge and when Middlesbrough said they were wanting to buy me I was very interested.

“Of course there’s the fact that I’ve worked with Tony before, but I also felt that a change was as good as a rest and now I’m looking forward to doing my best for Middlesbrough.”

NORTHERNHIBBY
13-02-2011, 05:26 PM
The position that we have found ourselves in means imo, that Zouma would have spent much of the rest of the season on the bench. Physical, strong ball winners is what is required.

since90plustwo
13-02-2011, 06:18 PM
not done enough recently, i know just back from lay off, but he offered little in the games he played. loved watching him last year, great wee guy, all the best zouma! another one of the 07 team gone tho..

Duffys13
13-02-2011, 06:27 PM
For me it's been obvious for a long time he would move at the first decent offer. A lot of people on here thought he would be our saviour when he was returning from injury. I would love to see the stat of how many games he has played for us in the 4 and a bit years he was with Hibs. Not that many, or at least it seems that way for me.

ScottB
13-02-2011, 06:35 PM
For me it's been obvious for a long time he would move at the first decent offer. A lot of people on here thought he would be our saviour when he was returning from injury. I would love to see the stat of how many games he has played for us in the 4 and a bit years he was with Hibs. Not that many, or at least it seems that way for me.

I believe he played 88 times, not sure as to what the break down of starts, subs are etc

Duffys13
13-02-2011, 06:37 PM
I believe he played 88 times, not sure as to what the break down of starts, subs are etc

I am geniunly suprised at that!

MrSmith
13-02-2011, 06:37 PM
I'm sure there is a stat floating around, about 87 games in 4.5 years.

Hibernia Na Eir
13-02-2011, 06:47 PM
hope Boro fans realise that he "vanishes" come Ramadan and not re-appear anytime soon...

capi
13-02-2011, 07:11 PM
2006-2007 19 starts 7 subs 2 goals
2007-2008 23 - 15 - 7
2008-2009 0 - 2 - 0
2009-2010 20 - 8 - 4
2010-2011 4 - 2 - 0

In all: 66 starts 34 subs 13 goals (all comps and friendlies)

BEEJ
13-02-2011, 10:28 PM
Before the official site removed Zouma's squad record it showed 88 appearances in total for Hibs comprising 58 starts and 30 as substitute.

_hucks_
13-02-2011, 11:28 PM
89 appearances.

http://ihibs.co.uk/player.php?playerid=1047
http://ihibs.co.uk/player_games.php?playerid=1047

iwasthere1972
13-02-2011, 11:37 PM
89 appearances.

http://ihibs.co.uk/player.php?playerid=1047
http://ihibs.co.uk/player_games.php?playerid=1047

Lord Lucan's made more appearances in that time.

A good player on his day but those days were very rare.