PDA

View Full Version : THE penalty

Mac
13-02-2011, 12:06 PM
Well, although i said yesterday it was never a penalty, this has just been confirmed after watching it on 'goals on Sunday' great tackle and he clearly takes the ball and then the Killie players throws himself to the deck, absolutely shocking decision by the linesman who would have had the perfect view and should be taken to task for making such a big decision and getting it catastrophically wrong!!!

I am guessing he was sent off for telliong the boy he was a cheat!!!

--------
13-02-2011, 12:08 PM
Well, although i said yesterday it was never a penalty, this has just been confirmed after watching it on 'goals on Sunday' great tackle and he clearly takes the ball and then the Killie players throws himself to the deck, absolutely shocking decision by the linesman who would have had the perfect view and should be taken to task for making such a big decision and getting it catastrophically wrong!!!

I am guessing he was sent off for telliong the boy he was a cheat!!!

Call me cynical and paranoid if you like, but Derek Adams had one appeal upheld and another suspension quashed without a hearing by the SFA this week - could this be a case of the Referees' Revenge? :rolleyes:

PC Stamp
13-02-2011, 12:10 PM
Call me cynical and paranoid if you like, but Derek Adams had one appeal upheld and another suspension quashed without a hearing by the SFA this week - could this be a case of the Referees' Revenge? :rolleyes:

Officials need to start getting these big decisions right. What's to take revenge for if you're clearly wrong? That decision could have cost Hibs valuable points yesterday.

Mac
13-02-2011, 12:15 PM
Officials need to start getting these big decisions right. What's to take revenge for if you're clearly wrong? That decision could have cost Hibs valuable points yesterday.

Thats the big thing, Killie get an equaliser, we drop two points and we then have to got to St Mirren without Murray and Dickoh and St Mirren breathing down our neck with a game in hand and only one point behind, still to close for comfort and we dont have Dickoh!!!

bingo70
13-02-2011, 12:20 PM

We got a soft penalty ourselves and the first goal should never have stood as Sodje clearly tripped the boy, may have been accidental but there was definate contact that allowed him to go clean through so i think if there was any conspiracy he wouldn't have given us those two major decisions.

At the time i thought the ref had a shocker but looking back we did seem to benefit from the big decisions so i think it's more the way refs referee games that irritates me rather than the decisions they make, this nonsense of stopping games for ages to talk to players really winds me up, how long does it to say..."next foul your booked?" or tell them what theyve done then show them a yellow card?

Hibbyradge
13-02-2011, 12:20 PM
Sorry guys, this is nonsense.

Player dives, referee (or linesman in this case) gets conned, foul awarded. Happens in every game.

Derek Riordan went down like he had been shot, yet jumped up without treatment as soon as the penalty was awarded.

Referees revenge? Oh please!

Hibbyradge
13-02-2011, 12:21 PM

The refs were't wrong in the DA case. The appeal system was. :agree:

Removed
13-02-2011, 12:22 PM

Player dives, referee (or linesman in this case) gets conned, foul awarded. Happens in every game.

Derek Riordan went down like he had been shot, yet jumped up without treatment as soon as the penalty was awarded.

I had a perfect view and the killie player had Riordan round the neck. Stonewaller for me and the defender should have walked.

--------
13-02-2011, 12:23 PM

GOTCHA! :devil:

fife hfc
13-02-2011, 12:28 PM
Just seen all the key moments again on ESPN and Goals on sunday. Sodjie goal was perfectly good to me. Minimal if any contact made (and great finish big man). Soft penalty for us as he does put his arm out but very little contact. The Killie penalty was a good tackle by Dickoh as he clearly gets the ball and the Killie players dives to the ground. Dickoh was very unlucky to be sent off but if the ref deems it a penalty then he had no choice. Mixu is moaning but all I can say is:na na:

Hibbyradge
13-02-2011, 12:29 PM
I had a perfect view and the killie player had Riordan round the neck. Stonewaller for me and the defender should have walked.

No he didn't.

I've watched it several times.

The defender's had his back to Deek who had lost the ball. His elbow just caught him in the coupon.

Soft penalty. I wouldn't have given it. (to anyone other than Hibs :greengrin )

Hibbyradge
13-02-2011, 12:29 PM
GOTCHA! :devil:

Bad man. :na na:

Mac
13-02-2011, 12:31 PM

what is nonsense is the linesman got a simple decision completely wrong when every single person around him clearly saw it was a fair challenge, the ref saw it and didnt give it, we are now a player down for a big game against St Mirren.

Whatever else happened in the game doesnt matter one iota as i am talking about the penalty against us, im not discussing Riordans as i havent seen a good eneough angle of it yet, im discussing something that i saw yesterday and was confirmed by TV this morning.

Nothing about linesman getting conned as he had a clear view, an offical is only conned if his view is blocked and the player dives, this case there was no obstruction between offical and incident, its black and white and official should be asked to explain it.

--------
13-02-2011, 12:32 PM
Bad man. :na na:

:agree:

Removed
13-02-2011, 12:34 PM
No he didn't.

I've watched it several times.

The defender's had his back to Deek who had lost the ball. His elbow just caught him in the coupon.

Soft penalty. I wouldn't have given it. (to anyone other than Hibs :greengrin )

So from a Killie point of view then the ref spoilt the game with that soft decision? From what I remember it was fairly even till that point. First goal always important.

Part/Time Supporter
13-02-2011, 12:36 PM
what is nonsense is the linesman got a simple decision completely wrong when every single person around him clearly saw it was a fair challenge, the ref saw it and didnt give it, we are now a player down for a big game against St Mirren.

Whatever else happened in the game doesnt matter one iota as i am talking about the penalty against us, im not discussing Riordans as i havent seen a good eneough angle of it yet, im discussing something that i saw yesterday and was confirmed by TV this morning.

Nothing about linesman getting conned as he had a clear view, an offical is only conned if his view is blocked and the player dives, this case there was no obstruction between offical and incident, its black and white and official should be asked to explain it.

I think they're able to appeal it (cf Liam Miller a month or two ago).

BEEJ
13-02-2011, 12:37 PM
So you're saying DA should be suspended from the dugout for another ten matches then?

Why?

PeeJay
13-02-2011, 12:41 PM

Seems to me that the Killie fans thought it was a clear penalty - so the referee's assistant is best advised not to make decisions based on those around him, but how he sees it, surely?

Mac
13-02-2011, 12:42 PM
I think they're able to appeal it (cf Liam Miller a month or two ago).

Problem is i think he got sent off for rasing his hands against the player and calling him a cheat, on the flip side if the linesman did his job then he wouldnt have been sent off.

Baically the appeal will stand as he did grab the player and i dint think they would take into consideration that the penalty shoudlnt have been given.

Mac
13-02-2011, 12:46 PM
Seems to me that the Killie fans thought it was a clear penalty - so the referee's assistant is best advised not to make decisions based on those around him, but how he sees it, surely?

Apologies for not being pedantic and pointing out i was in the Hibs end and those around me who were directly behind the linesman were all making the same assumption, i wasnt saying it influenced the decision i am saying the complete surprise that the decision was given when we were looking at exactly the same thing, same angle and same height, now i may be wrong but im guessing the Killie fans were not behind the linesman.

Although baffled the opposition team were shouting for a penalty, what is the world coming to.

Part/Time Supporter
13-02-2011, 12:48 PM
Problem is i think he got sent off for rasing his hands against the player and calling him a cheat, on the flip side if the linesman did his job then he wouldnt have been sent off.

Baically the appeal will stand as he did grab the player and i dint think they would take into consideration that the penalty shoudlnt have been given.

The post match reports / comments I've come across said he was sent off for the tackle (obvious goalscoring opportunity).

ozzie
13-02-2011, 12:51 PM

clear view from ff and the defender caught deeks across the windpipe (intentional or not ) which is why he didnt jump right up when the pen was taken it took him a few minutes to get his breath back.

Mac
13-02-2011, 12:57 PM
The post match reports / comments I've come across said he was sent off for the tackle (obvious goalscoring opportunity).

well fingers crossed PTS, we need all the help we can get

PC Stamp
13-02-2011, 12:57 PM

Adams bans resulted from a proximate cause of information contained within the match referee's report for the Ross County v Dundee Utd game in question. That report is sent to the SFA and their disciplinary committee considers it and if necessary imposes a ban. The prescribed appeals system overturned the ban because it believed the referees original interpretation of events in that particular game to be incorrect therefore nullifying the disciplinary committee's decision to impose any ban for that game. As a result a subsequent ban which was given for breaching the terms of the nullified original ban also had to be quashed. As in you can't be further banned for breaching the terms of a nullified ban! So pray enlighten me as to how that makes the prescribed appeals system wrong?

PeeJay
13-02-2011, 12:59 PM
Apologies for not being pedantic and pointing out i was in the Hibs end and those around me who were directly behind the linesman were all making the same assumption, i wasnt saying it influenced the decision i am saying the complete surprise that the decision was given when we were looking at exactly the same thing, same angle and same height, now i may be wrong but im guessing the Killie fans were not behind the linesman.

Although baffled the opposition team were shouting for a penalty, what is the world coming to.

We're on Hibs.net, your're complaining about a penalty decision for Killie - I guessed, but thanks for the tip ... :greengrin

Still not convinced officials should listen to the people behind, them, in front of them, next to them - if he sees a foul: he gives a foul (or a penalty) - they make mistakes, that's football - I watched on Hibs TV, I can't tell you if it was or wasn't a penalty, I'm not even sure about the Riordan one, and I've repeatedly watched it to see: the RA just has what he sees at that particular moment, not an easy job at times, I feel

blackpoolhibs
13-02-2011, 01:05 PM
The linesman gave the penalty for the tackle, he ran to the corner flag straight after the tackle. Any appeal if we make one, will imo be focusing on the challenge for the penalty.

Hibbyradge
13-02-2011, 01:08 PM
Adams bans all resulted from a proximate cause of information contained within the match referee's report. That is sent to the SFA and their disciplinary committee imposes a ban. The prescribed appeals system overturned these bans because it believed the referees original interpretation of events in that
particular game to be incorrect therefore nullifying the disciplinary committee's decision to impose any ban for that game and a subsequen bans pertaining to that game. Pray enlighten me as to how that makes the prescribed appeals system wrong?

"Pray enlighten you"? Ya patronising get! :hilarious

My understanding is that DA's ban was initially increased because he was again accused of abusing a referee within 6 months of his first ban. The appeals system kept increasing his ban. The SFL then backed down when Hibs got involved.

The referees aren't happy with the lack of backing from the authorities.

As I understand it, DA, and his father, George who is the CEO? at Ross County, have bad reputations when it comes to their behaviour towards referees.

They may be born again Christian's but that doesn't seem to be their prime motivation when it comes to football.

Maybe that's why you used the word "pray"? :wink:

Mac
13-02-2011, 01:15 PM
We're on Hibs.net, your're complaining about a penalty decision for Killie - I guessed, but thanks for the tip ... :greengrin

Still not convinced officials should listen to the people behind, them, in front of them, next to them - if he sees a foul: he gives a foul (or a penalty) - they make mistakes, that's football - I watched on Hibs TV, I can't tell you if it was or wasn't a penalty, I'm not even sure about the Riordan one, and I've repeatedly watched it to see: the RA just has what he sees at that particular moment, not an easy job at times, I feel

Apologies i think you may be picking up the wrong point, i am definitely not saying that officials were, or should be influenced by supporters, i was merely pointing out that there are usually one or two who will give a more unbiased view as to certain decisions, on this occasion not one person could believe the decision as we are all looking at the same thing as the linesman, i can assure you it was a brilliant tackle and the ball was already away before the killie player decided to go down.

I am one of those who dont always look through green tinted specs and voiced my uncertaintly on Hibs penalty and thought it looked soft, i was at the other end of the stadium however.

Big_D
13-02-2011, 02:06 PM
The linesman gave the penalty for the tackle, he ran to the corner flag straight after the tackle. Any appeal if we make one, will imo be focusing on the challenge for the penalty.

I didn't think the linesman gave it , isn't a pen signalled by flag across the chest ?
I didn't see him do anything

blackpoolhibs
13-02-2011, 02:09 PM
I didn't think the linesman gave it , isn't a pen signalled by flag across the chest ?

I thought that too, but apparently he can also run to the corner flag to indicate a penalty too. Just something else to confuse us with it seems.

BEEJ
13-02-2011, 02:09 PM
They need to get their facts right and build solid, incontrovertible cases if they want the backing of the authorities.

In this instance they failed to do so.

As I understand it, DA, and his father, George who is the CEO? at Ross County, have bad reputations when it comes to their behaviour towards referees.
Director of Football, according to the BBC, and now interim Manager with the sacking of McStay yesterday.

PC Stamp
13-02-2011, 03:01 PM
"Pray enlighten you"? Ya patronising get! :hilarious

My understanding is that DA's ban was initially increased because he was again accused of abusing a referee within 6 months of his first ban. The appeals system kept increasing his ban. The SFL then backed down when Hibs got involved.

They may be born again Christian's but that doesn't seem to be their prime motivation when it comes to football.

Maybe that's why you used the word "pray"? :wink:

Nothing like being called a patronisng get by another patronisng get. :wink:

I just don't get how following the prescribed appeals process which subsequently upholds the appeal makes the appeal system at fault? I understand that the ban in question related to Adams being in the tunnel/dugout area when he shouldn't have been.

It seems that either this wasn't in fact the case or that there was a bona fide reason for him being there hence his appeal was upheld. Now that additional 4 game ban would have been dished out either as a result of comments made in the referee's report or by the referee supervisor. That the appeal saw the ban dismissed suggests that the report was, shall we say questionable.

So again I ask, how is the appeal process wrong?

Hermit Crab
14-02-2011, 01:49 PM

It is but they are all wired up now maybe he allerted the ref via the headset they use now. Never a pen though and appeal should be lodged to get red card withdrawn.