PDA

View Full Version : Albert Kidd

Baldy Foghorn
13-02-2011, 09:56 AM
Was speaking to a friend yesterday about Albert Kidd, and it evoked such great memories, especially the noise when the score reached ER. I was in South Main Stand (must have been Hibs Kids match) and it still brings a smile seeing the terracing erupting.

Anyway I was thinking how unusual a name Albert is. Strange moniker for a footballer especially how he is a household name amongst all Hibs fans. The only other Alberts I can think of are Einstein and Tatlock.

He did however play in an era amongst a Ralph, Robin, Henry, Hugh and Sandy. How times have changed.

Does anyone have any good anecdotes from the Albert Kidd era?

greenlex
13-02-2011, 10:02 AM
The week later on Scottish cup day I was playing golf at Dunbar. As news filtered through that it was another miserable day for the big team I could not concentrate. My mind kept wandering to the week earlier. I had three double bogeys on the trot and decided to call it a day and walked back to the clubhouse. I sat in the corner for the rest of the night and completely off ma tits with drink with a huge grin on my face. Great day. :greengrin

Moulin Yarns
13-02-2011, 10:11 AM
Was speaking to a friend yesterday about Albert Kidd, and it evoked such great memories, especially the noise when the score reached ER. I was in South Main Stand (must have been Hibs Kids match) and it still brings a smile seeing the terracing erupting.

Anyway I was thinking how unusual a name Albert is. Strange moniker for a footballer especially how he is a household name amongst all Hibs fans. The only other Alberts I can think of are Einstein and Tatlock.

He did however play in an era amongst a Ralph, Robin, Henry, Hugh and Sandy. How times have changed.

How about a Prince Albert :rolleyes: then there's the museum, the V&A

blackpoolhibs
13-02-2011, 10:13 AM
Doing the conga all the way down easter road after the match. In the pub, getting the phone book out and ringing the hearts club, and getting some women who answered to shout out if there was an Albert Kidd :not worth in the bar. :greengrin

Childish i know, but at the time gave us hours of enjoyment while we got absolutely bladdered. :party:

Kevvy1875
13-02-2011, 10:21 AM
Doing the conga all the way down easter road after the match. In the pub, getting the phone book out and ringing the hearts club, and getting some women who answered to shout out if there was an Albert Kidd :not worth in the bar. :greengrin

Childish i know, but at the time gave us hours of enjoyment while we got absolutely bladdered. :party:
:top marks

Baldy Foghorn
13-02-2011, 10:23 AM

Excellent stuff. I was gutted seeing the jambos on their way to Dundee with champions flags, however I never saw any of the flags return strangely enough.....I was bouncing home, dying to play football in park with my mates, and I was going to be Kidd...

Www1875hfc
13-02-2011, 10:23 AM

:greengrin
Done something similar BH, I lived in penicuik in 1986,and HibbyAndy can vouch for what its like.
We phoned the Royal Hotel where they all drink,the female must have got fed up answering the phone,when some irate male jambo shouted down the phone,why dont you just f*** off.:greengrin
Childish but gid tho :na na:

Heard Penicuik hasnt changed either,still full of blinkered paraffin lamps. :agree:

BroxburnHibee
13-02-2011, 10:32 AM
I didnt go to the hibs game that day. Sat in the house watching grandstand as the Celtic scores started coming in.

Halfway through the second half my dad sent me to the shop and I remember thinking Hearts would be champs by the time I got back.

On way back I did something I had never done before or since - I prayed.

Prayed that somehow they would lose the league. Walked into the house just as it flashed up that Celtic were the champions - un ****** believable.

Don't remember much after that but there was plenty alcohol involved :greengrin

Greentinted
13-02-2011, 11:11 AM

That evening I was rather inebriate of disposition and somehow found myself doing a wee jig in the Sheraton Fountain (I was only 16 though)

And as an aside , my grandad was called Albert and he was a top bloke. (Also Albert Speer just popped into my head :dunno:)

Removed
13-02-2011, 11:14 AM
I didnt go to the hibs game that day. Sat in the house watching grandstand as the Celtic scores started coming in.

Halfway through the second half my dad sent me to the shop and I remember thinking Hearts would be champs by the time I got back.

On way back I did something I had never done before or since - I prayed.

Prayed that somehow they would lose the league. Walked into the house just as it flashed up that Celtic were the champions - un ****** believable.

Don't remember much after that but there was plenty alcohol involved :greengrin

You should pray more D. Scottish cup :wink:

Bishop Hibee
13-02-2011, 11:22 AM
I was at ER on that memorable day. One of my wee brothers had a football shaped radio with green and white panelling that he used to keep track of other games. He shouts "KIdd's just scored". I asked incredulously "Walter Kidd?" and he say "No, Albert". Cue huge celebrations, chants of "Dundee" from the Hibs support and nobody giving a stuff about losing the game 1-2.

Got home in time to see the scenes from Dens on the tv. Brilliant :greengrin

cammy1969
13-02-2011, 11:39 AM
was gonna go to the hibs game but ended up on the lash with 2 jambo mates was up stairs in pearces bar the guy had a radio on with the hearts game on when kidd scored mates started dancing thinking it was watty that had scored haha oh what great memories pissed off a missed hibs game tho was that no the game goram scored against morton or was that another game i mist god bless you albert were ever you are legand gets used to often but that man truly is

BroxburnHibee
13-02-2011, 11:41 AM
You should pray more D. Scottish cup :wink:

No pushing my luck billy

Might have sold my soul on that one :greengrin:

H18sry
13-02-2011, 11:55 AM
I was in the Falklands at the time and had bet a yam fud shipmate in the Feb/March time 50 notes that they would not win the league, so on the Friday before Sir Albert Day, I had to go to the pay office and cash a cheque for 50 sov's to pay up my bet, then the rest as they say is history, I did do the right thing tho and offered him double or quits on the Scottish cup final, and to my surprise the dafty accepted it :thumbsup:

Pretty Boy
13-02-2011, 11:58 AM
I always used to love a story my Granddad told me about Albert Kidd day. On the Friday a guy he worked with who was a typical 'Wurra big team ken?' Hertz fan was mouthing off about them winning the keague and invited my Grandad up to a party he was having in the Longstone Hearts supporters club after the game.

Obviously we all know what happened next so my Grandad decided to take his workmate up on his offer, strolled into the Hearts supporters club and asked why the party wasn't happening. Grown men were literally sobbing into their pints and he was told to come back the next weekend when they would definitely be having a party to celerate the Scottish cup win, we all know what happened next.....again. So my Grandad once again accepted the offer to go to the party and once again it wasn't a particularly lively party.

These muppets just never learn.

bringbackbenny
13-02-2011, 03:36 PM
Albert Kidd reminds me of new maroon and white scarfs - the schools, pubs and clubs were full of them as every glory hunter crawled out of the woodwork in an attempt to milk their unexpected (and unfulfilled lol) success.

MSK
13-02-2011, 03:54 PM
I remember a few trampy Bingham jambo's walking up the road wi their :hahaha:"Hearts league Champions" t-shirts on ..I just held my nose & ignored them ....a few hours later the same trampy Bingham jambo's walked past me ..t-shirts inside oot :tee hee:...made my day/night/month/year ... Albert Kidd ..:not worth....:flag:

Geo_1875
13-02-2011, 04:44 PM
We were playing that day and a number of my team mates were yams. The guys on the sidelines were geting the scores 3rd hand from some guy sitting in his car. They just shouted 1-0 Kidd, 2-0 Kidd. We were in the showers before we found out they'd got stuffed. Just as well because I was pissing myself.

Phil D. Rolls
13-02-2011, 04:48 PM
Who is this Albert Kidd - a name like that would surely stay in the memory.

Springbank
13-02-2011, 04:54 PM
Mita won the league,Mita won the cup... Great choice of sponsor. As an aside,hearts actually lost 3 on the trot in 86 crashing out of 3 tourneys. Quite impressive really. After dundee and aberdeen they then lost to MONTROSE in the league cup,at tynecastle in august. Haha. And that is why the gable endies are my other team.

Chibs
13-02-2011, 05:03 PM
One of the greatest moments of my life.
As I recall that day at easter road everyone was huddled round someone with a radio and hoping for the best and sure enough the soapdodgers score enough by half time and if the filth lose will win the league.
Second half goes by and nears full time and I have given up all hope.
I walk away to watch the final few minutes and dundee united get a throw in.
Just as the guy is about to throw the ball in Easter Road erupts and he looks around wondering what the hell is going on.
Happy Happy Days

Cod Boy
13-02-2011, 06:17 PM
Dont no if true but did he not get hibs player of year award. If not he should have

Viva_Palmeiras
13-02-2011, 06:39 PM

Well I just think having Albert street nearby is a fitting tribute.
Its like the old days when the Eurostar used to make the French arrive in at Waterloo. :greengrin

tanfield
13-02-2011, 07:30 PM
Mind being in the terracing that day and whilst someone was waiting to take a throw in the ground erupted, cue bemused looks on the players.

There was only about 3,000 in the ground that day but I've yet to hear ER louder!

crash
13-02-2011, 07:43 PM
Dont no if true but did he not get hibs player of year award. If not he should have

Pretty sure at least one of the branches voted him player of the year.

AlbertK86
13-02-2011, 08:36 PM
Recently got speaking to a homeless guy who was about 60 years old, had numerous hibs tattoos and stated that, that famous day when Albert knocked in the double was one of his best memories of years gone by.

I had the commentary of the second goal going in on my phone and bluetoothed it to him.

He went away cock a hoop as 'there are a bunch of young upstarts staying in the same hostel as me who all support the jambos. boy i'm i going to have fun with this' was his quote as he wandered off playing it at full blast.

H18sry
13-02-2011, 08:56 PM
Recently got speaking to a homeless guy who was about 60 years old, had numerous hibs tattoos and stated that, that famous day when Albert knocked in the double was one of his best memories of years gone by.

I had the commentary of the second goal going in on my phone and bluetoothed it to him.

He went away cock a hoop as 'there are a bunch of young upstarts staying in the same hostel as me who all support the jambos. boy i'm i going to have fun with this' was his quote as he wandered off playing it at full blast.

:confused:

Removed
13-02-2011, 09:04 PM
:confused:

He probably had Sky HD as well :wink:

HIBERNIAN-0762
13-02-2011, 10:00 PM
What is the great man up to these days, sure someone said he was in Oz

Mixu62
13-02-2011, 10:58 PM
Ah, memories! I was a young lad at ER that day. I'm sure United had scored a penalty just as we heard news of the 2nd goal. Have a vague recollection of the Utd fans looking pretty confused wondering why the Hibs end were going mental after losing a goal!! Funny as. 1 week later, went to a mates place for the SC final. His wee brother supported Aberdeen (there were a lot of kids in Edinburgh who supported Aberdeen back then) but then for a few days, so did I!!:greengrin On a par with Geebsy scoring to break the hoodoo at the PBS.:thumbsup:

Forza Fred
14-02-2011, 07:23 AM

Indeed we did!

The Australia branch had a night out for him in Melbuorne a few years ago and we flew him and his wife Maureen up from Adelaide, and yours truly had the honour of presenting him with a belated Australia Branch player of the year 85-86 award.

There's a story on here somewhere about it.

Wen tdown very well with teh yams by the way..:devil:

top bloke by the way.

Dashing Bob S
14-02-2011, 07:53 PM
The phrase 'Hibs legend' is often overused, but in his case...

AK must be one of the most revered players by a club who never actually wore their jersey.

18/03/07
14-02-2011, 08:55 PM
They have started a thread about this on the pbs forum,it seems that this thread has upset them:thumbsup:

Removed
14-02-2011, 09:00 PM
They have started a thread about this on the pbs forum,it seems that this thread has upset them:thumbsup:

:boo hoo::boo hoo::boo hoo:

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTWitYlp2jf6tE00hobIojM0qyWLx3n1 X-EBMm9JLa-jz5lfdjr

:boo hoo::boo hoo::boo hoo:

http://www.afc.co.uk/javaImages/7c/d9/0,,10284~9099644,00.jpg

:na na:

Removed
14-02-2011, 09:03 PM
Forgot this one :faf:

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQRTJLVZR4fvmd2YVRTTCRgl70z4yenh WLdnobnqYbUi6A0bYI0Tg&t=1

hibs0666
14-02-2011, 09:08 PM
The video featuring Albert that the Aussie Hibs boys got made, and shipped over, for a do that I can't now remember (must be 15 years ago now) was just the business. :not worth

Jonnyboy - was it a fanzine do? Seem to recall it was held at Easter Road. :flag:

HFC_NYC
14-02-2011, 10:04 PM
I was a young lad at the time, but I recall being on the corner terracing between the East and the Cowshed with my Dad but one vivid memory I have is when the huge roar went up, some guy launched his motorcycle helmet about 20 feet in the air in sheer jubilation.

Albanian Hibs
14-02-2011, 10:38 PM
Forgot this one :faf:

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQRTJLVZR4fvmd2YVRTTCRgl70z4yenh WLdnobnqYbUi6A0bYI0Tg&t=1

:faf: love this one

majorhibs
14-02-2011, 10:51 PM

Upset them? Tell you what that night, Sir Albert Kidd night, when if you lived or worked in Edinburgh for 6 weeks beforehand was a misery because not only did ye have to listen to these muppets giving it large about the double and etc ect but it seemed at the time Scottish fitba had capitulated & were giving this bunch o clogging thugs run by such an ignorant wee ex hun by the name o "doddie" who was never more than a thug when he played, abetted by another ex hun in jardine who set up a team that just booted everything in sight worse than they were booted, you wouldnae have had to be a Hibee to have despised the support & team that "almost" won the league. But bein a Hibee- oh how TREMENDOUS it was- a moment in football never to be forgotten- for neutrals a moment when the odious pretentious arrogant " big team" were shown their place- but to us Hibees- Heaven. That night- ye just couldnae replicate it for us, muppets? Could you?

Saorsa
14-02-2011, 10:55 PM
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b168/jamie1971/albert1.jpg
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b168/jamie1971/hearts13tf2.jpg
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b168/jamie1971/jambos3qm5.jpg
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b168/jamie1971/jambos2gs5.jpg

SteveHFC
14-02-2011, 11:06 PM

:faf::faf:

Removed
14-02-2011, 11:43 PM
Even Socrates thinks Sir Albert is a legend :thumbsup:

http://www.easterroad.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/socrates.jpg

Dashing Bob S
15-02-2011, 09:05 PM

I never tire of those images, in fact they just get better over time.

Moulin Yarns
25-02-2011, 05:45 PM
AND.....

There is a chance to relive it all again on Friday 4th March at 9pm on STV :devil:

Baldy Foghorn
25-02-2011, 05:48 PM
AND.....

There is a chance to relive it all again on Friday 4th March at 9pm on STV :devil:

Excellent, compulsive viewing for me:flag::flag::flag:

CallumHibs07
25-02-2011, 06:01 PM
AND.....

Whats on?

Saorsa
25-02-2011, 06:07 PM
Whats on?http://sport.stv.tv/football/scottish-premier/aberdeen/228049-the-football-years-delving-into-six-great-years-in-scottish-football

episode 2 :greengrin

CallumHibs07
25-02-2011, 06:10 PM
http://sport.stv.tv/football/scottish-premier/aberdeen/228049-the-football-years-delving-into-six-great-years-in-scottish-football

episode 2 :greengrin

Brilliant :thumbsup:

poolman
25-02-2011, 06:48 PM
AND.....

Gonna DVD that and keep for times I need a wee bit cheering up :thumbsup:

3pm
25-02-2011, 08:16 PM
One of these pictures may be a guy I drink with. The brother-in-law also thinks it's him.

There will be a lot of mileage in this if it turns out to be true.

CraigK
25-02-2011, 09:42 PM
As an aside, 'The Football Years' next week is about that season, so we can all re-live the memories (although i'm too young to remember!).

hfc rd
25-02-2011, 10:11 PM
Making sure that I will be recording next week's episode of The Football Years. Seeing all those yams on their knees in tears will be incredible as well as the man of the moment himself.
SIR ALBERT KIDD!!!

AndyB_70
25-02-2011, 10:20 PM
Just set my Sky+ :greengrin :flag:

EskbankHibby
25-02-2011, 11:33 PM

Picture 2 - Paul Kane and Gordon Chisholm, that is what you call deep undercover, i bet you they were laughing their baws off after the camerman moved on.:greengrin

Billy McKirdy
26-02-2011, 12:39 AM
Picture 2 - Paul Kane and Gordon Chisholm, that is what you call deep undercover, i bet you they were laughing their baws off after the camerman moved on.:greengrin

Well spotted :greengrin:greengrin:greengrin
btw I may have been the one who invented the "Sir Albert Kidd" moniker thanks to this video I posted on YouTube 3 years ago :greengrin

So glad its endured :agree:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uA1UEowQaA

3pm
26-02-2011, 09:16 PM

Well, pic 2 isn't PK but a good dozen people are of the opinion that it's a guy fae my local.

He's denied he was in tears tho! It's him, I am sure of it.

Desperate Dan = Legend.

Saorsa
27-02-2011, 04:31 AM
Well, pic 2 isn't PK but a good dozen people are of the opinion that it's a guy fae my local.

He's denied he was in tears tho! It's him, I am sure of it.

Desperate Dan = Legend.I've never been a legend before so cheers :greengrin

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Moulin Yarns
04-03-2011, 05:21 AM
AND.....

Remember to watch/record this tonight for a wee bit of comedy gold :wink:

poolman
04-03-2011, 07:05 AM
How about a Prince Albert :rolleyes: then there's the museum, the V&A

And this guy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albert_Finney

PatHead
04-03-2011, 05:45 PM
When they went on that lucky run against us a Jambo cousin sent me a 21st card. I would love to send him a similar card in May to mark the 25th anniversary. It would be better if it contained some of these "sad" photos from above. Would hopefully bring back many memories for him.
Is there anyone capable of creating a supply of surprise cards? Could be sold for hibs.net funds?

PS Alf Tupper-tough of the track is another famous Alf, not forgeting Alf Ramsay

blackpoolhibs
05-03-2011, 09:22 AM
With this being the 25th anniversary, i think it would be appropriate to again ring round all the hearts clubs and ask if Albert is in the vicinity again. Some thing you just never tire of. :greengrin

skipster7
05-03-2011, 10:42 AM

i rermember more and more hibbies were saying it would be good if an Edinburgh team win it as it looked like they had it sown up,as celtic closed the gap though we all had just a wee bit hope that they would blow it.im sure utd had not long went 2-1 up when a ripple went round the ground and we were rolling about as if WE had won the league:greengrin
we had voted Steve Cowan as our player of the year in the Port Seton branch and as it happened the dance was that night,and he took in good heart when we told him there had been a late change of plan and Kidd had won it instead:greengrin
still got the photos of me steaming with cowan,great day and night :agree:

LeithWalkHibby
05-03-2011, 11:55 AM
ps alf tupper-tough of the track is another famous alf, not forgeting alf ramsay

wtf?

Baldy Foghorn
05-03-2011, 05:26 PM
Loved the coverage Albert got last night on Football Years....Lovely to see the yams greeting after blowing the league.....

MSK
05-03-2011, 05:45 PM
Loved the coverage Albert got last night on Football Years....Lovely to see the yams greeting after blowing the league.....Was brilliant ...:greengrin

skipster7
05-03-2011, 06:12 PM
before the next season my mate was on holiday when the Dundee team turned up at a nearby hotel.they went to meet him and said he was a good wee guy but refused to put on a Hibs top for a photo for fear of being lynched:greengrin

Pedantic_Hibee
05-03-2011, 06:23 PM
Looking at their reaction over the road....it still hurts them. Big time :greengrin

confused
05-03-2011, 06:33 PM
I went to work on the monday ,and handed 5 workmates a bit of cake , the 2 bosses were left out, when they complained i replied "Did'nt think you would want a bit " the greedy Jambo **** asked "Why?" i roared back "BECAUSE IT'S DUNDEE CAKE, YA JAMBO ****" my card was marked but it was the best 2 weeks of my working life .

Removed
05-03-2011, 06:37 PM
Loved the coverage Albert got last night on Football Years....Lovely to see the yams greeting after blowing the league.....

:agree:

My kids have just asked me if we can watch it again :thumbsup:

Removed
05-03-2011, 06:51 PM
:agree:

My kids have just asked me if we can watch it again :thumbsup:

Both of them said that was never a pen. Sandy Clark giruy :faf: