HibbyRod
13-02-2011, 01:10 AM
We should be looking to make that up.

Aye!!! :greengrin

AFKA5814_Hibs
13-02-2011, 01:11 AM

Unfortuntely Dundee United have 5 games in hand. :hmmm:

Wins over St Mirren, ICT and Hamilton should see us clear of bottom though. :greengrin

Removed
13-02-2011, 01:12 AM
Aye!!! :greengrin

Right, I'm going to text your wife and get you to your bed :wink:

Far too much positivity on here tonight :greengrin

EH6 Hibby
13-02-2011, 01:13 AM
Unfortuntely Dundee United have 5 games in hand. :hmmm:

Wins over St Mirren, ICT and Hamilton should see us clear of bottom though. :greengrin

Inverness are on 29 points and only have one game in hand so we've more chance of catching them.

HibbyRod
13-02-2011, 01:17 AM
Right, I'm going to text your wife and get you to your bed :wink:

Far too much positivity on here tonight :greengrin

Eh, Billy ....... dinnae dae that .... Im supposed tae be in bed at the mo!!! ...:bitchy: :na na:

AFKA5814_Hibs
13-02-2011, 01:19 AM
Inverness are on 29 points and only have one game in hand so we've more chance of catching them.

Your right. But given how many teams are between Hibs and 6th and the fact that those teams will all pick up points between now and the split, the chances of Hibs getting into the top 6 are very slim.

Our aim at the moment is to get clear of the relegation zone, like it or not, that's where we still are.

Removed
13-02-2011, 01:28 AM
Eh, Billy ....... dinnae dae that .... Im supposed tae be in bed at the mo!!! ...:bitchy: :na na:

:greengrin

Phil D. Rolls
13-02-2011, 01:37 AM

Let's do it Hibs, joke team no more!

EH6 Hibby
13-02-2011, 01:47 AM
Your right. But given how many teams are between Hibs and 6th and the fact that those teams will all pick up points between now and the split, the chances of Hibs getting into the top 6 are very slim.

Our aim at the moment is to get clear of the relegation zone, like it or not, that's where we still are.

I agree the chances are slim, no harm in having hope though, if we start aiming for top 6 that obviously means we are aiming to get away from the relegation zone also. No one thought the Yams would make top six last season after their dreadful start but they did.

Hibbyradge
13-02-2011, 12:58 PM
8 games till the split. No chance.

Anyway, I thought folk were fed up losing to the OF 4 times a season. :wink:

ScottB
13-02-2011, 01:22 PM
8 games till the split. No chance.

Anyway, I thought folk were fed up losing to the OF 4 times a season. :wink:

8 games = 24 points still to play for

ICT are 8 points ahead and played the same number of games as us, their form has been in the toilet recently

St Johnstone and Motherwell are on 29 and 28 points, with 2 games and 1 game in hand respectively.

Our remaining fixtures are St Mirren, ICT, Hamilton, St Johnstone, Celtic, Hearts, Aberdeen and Hamilton

I'd say we could easily take a good 15 points at least from that, so I'd say it's all still to play for, though it will be difficult!

Aldo
13-02-2011, 01:24 PM
There is a long way to go. For me staying up must be the priority....once that has been achieved then we shall see.

St Mirren next week could make or break our season IMHO. If we can get 3 points there then we should be ok but we dont really have a good record along in the west.

Wish I wasnt working I would of went along to that game.

Hamish
13-02-2011, 01:51 PM

This. :agree:

Let's not get ahead of ourselves

Franck Stanton
13-02-2011, 01:56 PM

Amen to that.

Reaper
13-02-2011, 02:06 PM
I think Calderwood, like any good manager should, will be looking up the way just now especially due to the last few results. I said this week that Killie & ICT at home and StM & hamilton away, I'd take 8 points from that and that would see us stretch far enough away from Hamilton for them to make up the gap. I stand by this and whilst I'll admit that Top 6 is a possibility I think it's unrealistic. Going by the position we were in 4 weeks ago, I'd settle for 9th or 10th and build for next season.

Also the danger of getting into the top 6 through some bizarre run of results would mean it's ill deserved (IMHO over the course fo the season we deserve to be where we are), would leave us in a position where we may not win any of the remaining five games (damaging confidence again before next season) and raise expectations for next season, increasing the pressure. Just my Opinion.

Arch Stanton
13-02-2011, 02:11 PM

Maybe slim, but less slim than us ever winning the Scottish Cup - so we can still hope, can't we?

The last two games have been pretty exciting and we can expect a few more exciting games before we are clear of the relegation zone. However, the battle to take us clear of the relegation zone also takes us nearer the top six - it isn't an either/or - it is quite a compact league remember.

So I agree with the OP that we should be looking to make up the 7 points - if there's still a mathematical chance of us making the split with a couple of games to go then it could get quite tasty.

--------
13-02-2011, 02:19 PM
I think Calderwood, like any good manager should, will be looking up the way just now especially due to the last few results. I said this week that Killie & ICT at home and StM & hamilton away, I'd take 8 points from that and that would see us stretch far enough away from Hamilton for them to make up the gap. I stand by this and whilst I'll admit that Top 6 is a possibility I think it's unrealistic. Going by the position we were in 4 weeks ago, I'd settle for 9th or 10th and build for next season.

Also the danger of getting into the top 6 through some bizarre run of results would mean it's ill deserved (IMHO over the course fo the season we deserve to be where we are), would leave us in a position where we may not win any of the remaining five games (damaging confidence again before next season) and raise expectations for next season, increasing the pressure. Just my Opinion.

:agree:

Staying up is the priority right now. Playing Celtic, Rangers, Hearts, Kilmarnock and Dundee United (probably) would give us a couple of decent attendances maybe, but playing the last five in the bottom half (provided we're safe to stay up) would allow CC to experiment and to blood some youngsters without major pressure on the team to achieve results.

Once we're safe - unless by some insane combination of circumstances we were in with a chance of a Europa place, and frankly I cannot see us being in any shape to cope with that sort of fixture THIS summer - the main thing to my mind is planning and preparation for next season.

fatbloke
13-02-2011, 02:29 PM
Have Dundee United no got 43 games in hand or something like that?

HiBremian
13-02-2011, 02:35 PM
Just done a bit of calculating, and I reckon we'll be lucky to nick 6th at best. If we can keep this little run going, and based on Killie, Sheep and Arabs continuing to play reasonably well, St Johnstone middling at best, and Well and ICT continuing their indifferent form (with ICT grabbing yet more away draws), 6th/7th could be between the Sheep and the Cabbage. If we draw/win up at Pittodrie and beat the Yams, 6th is there for us to take.

I reckon we should be positive and look up to the challenge:greengrin

.....but then expect the usual hibs b***sups when we play the likes of Hamilton and fall at the last hurdle on the last day before the split. :wink:

My (optimistic) predictions at split:

Huns, Smellies and Yams 1, 2 and 3
4. Killie 47pts
5. Arabs 42pts
6. Sheep 37pts
7. Cabbage 36pts
8. ICT 36pts
9. Well 34pts
10 ST. J 34pts

for what it's worth :rolleyes:

Sir David Gray
13-02-2011, 02:38 PM
We won't make the top six, IMO.

I looked at how many points the 6th place side has had after 33 games in previous seasons and we'll probably need around 40 points to get in. Given that we are on 22 points just now with 8 games left, we'll probably need to win at least 5 of those 8 matches to have a chance and although we are improving, I don't see us quite making it. 5 of our 8 matches are away from home and up until now, our away form has been shocking, we have lost 10 out of our 12 away matches so far this season and we haven't even scored in our last 4 away matches in all competitions.

I hope I'm wrong though and I would like to see us go on a good run now so we'll have to see.

I think five of the top six teams are pretty much guaranteed to be Rangers, Celtic, Hearts, Kilmarnock and Dundee Utd.

So that means that one place is up for grabs. Inverness, St Johnstone and Motherwell will be the favourites but if Aberdeen and Hibs can mount a late challenge then they could potentially sneak in.

Let's look at all those teams;

Inverness-30 points with 8 games left. Had a great start to the season but their form has dipped over the past couple of months, particularly since they finally had their long unbeaten away record ended. Still have a brilliant striker in Adam Rooney who will get them goals.

St Johnstone-29 points with 10 games left. Had an above average season so far and they are currently on a pretty good run. A lack of goals could prove to be their downfall though.

Motherwell-28 points with 9 games left. Had a good start to the season, however losing Craig Brown in December has hurt them and Stuart McCall hasn't had the instant effect that they would have hoped for. Also losing Nick Blackman hasn't helped them either.

Aberdeen-23 points with 10 games left. Had an awful start to the season and were one of the favourites for relegation at one stage. However sacking Mark McGhee and bringing in Craig Brown has brought about a massive change in their fortunes and since Brown took over, Aberdeen have only lost to Celtic (albeit on 3 occasions).

Hibs-22 points with 8 games left. Similar to Aberdeen, had a shocking start to the season but unlike Aberdeen, the sacking of the manager and arrival of a new man (Colin Calderwood) didn't bring about an instant change in results and the club continued to struggle. Although still too early to say that things have turned around, the arrival of several new players at the end of the January window has seen an upturn in results and they have now won two games in a row.

If I was to stick my neck out, I would say that St Johnstone are favourites for the final top six place and we are probably the outsiders.

Keith_M
13-02-2011, 02:46 PM
Hmmmm, maybe a tad unrealistic.