PDA

View Full Version : Soft touch no more...

matty_f
12-02-2011, 11:04 PM
One thing that has stood out, probably above everything else, from the last two victories, is that it would appear that the days of us being a soft touch are gone.

With the best will in the world, the midfield of Miller, Rankin, McBride, Wotherspoon (or similar combination) would have crumbled today and we'd have lost, IMHO.

Instead, we had Scott snapping into tackles, Murray putting tough challenges in, Palsson getting wired in and Thornhill making life difficult for Killie. Towell puts everything into his challenges and Hanlon has toughened up too. Add to that an imposing keeper in Stack, and a properly powerful forward in Sodje, and you can see the difference.

When it all kicked off it was pleasing to see the Hibs players getting wired in for each other. When we went down to ten men, Palsson went to the crowd and got us going again, and then got stuck in some more. Killie tried to get physical with us, but IMHO, they came up short.

As we dropped further down the table and the winless run went on, there was a lot of talk about how St Mirren and Hamilton had players that knew how to fight at this end of the table, and we didn't. That was probably true then, but not now. We bullied St Mirren, and went toe to toe with Killie today and proved we could hold our own.

Great to see a Hibs team with that much fight, power and resolve. It's something that has been sorely lacking for so long. The players have put everything into the last couple of games and deserve the 6 points they've picked up.

They need to do it all again at the weekend now. :agree:

greenlex
12-02-2011, 11:07 PM
One thing that has stood out, probably above everything else, from the last two victories, is that it would appear that the days of us being a soft touch are gone.

With the best will in the world, the midfield of Miller, Rankin, McBride, Wotherspoon (or similar combination) would have crumbled today and we'd have lost, IMHO.

Instead, we had Scott snapping into tackles, Murray putting tough challenges in, Palsson getting wired in and Thornhill making life difficult for Killie. Towell puts everything into his challenges and Hanlon has toughened up too. Add to that an imposing keeper in Stack, and a properly powerful forward in Sodje, and you can see the difference.

When it all kicked off it was pleasing to see the Hibs players getting wired in for each other. When we went down to ten men, Palsson went to the crowd and got us going again, and then got stuck in some more. Killie tried to get physical with us, but IMHO, they came up short.

As we dropped further down the table and the winless run went on, there was a lot of talk about how St Mirren and Hamilton had players that knew how to fight at this end of the table, and we didn't. That was probably true then, but not now. We bullied St Mirren, and went toe to toe with Killie today and proved we could hold our own.

Great to see a Hibs team with that much fight, power and resolve. It's something that has been sorely lacking for so long. The players have put everything into the last couple of games and deserve the 6 points they've picked up.

:agree: Agree with every word Matty.
I thought the signings were a bit young and inexperienced and thought the manager had taken a huge gamble with keeping us up. I am delighted by the way this is turning out. Bring on the Yams in April. I cannot wait to get stuck right into them. Soft touch no more. :flag::flag:

PC Stamp
12-02-2011, 11:09 PM

At the game I was at we couldn't tackle a fish supper in the first half!
Killie ran the show in the first half but having got away with still being on level terms at HT we actually started to compete and press them in the 2nd half. Why we rarely seem to be able to do it for a full 90 minutes is still something which baffles me.

HibbyRod
12-02-2011, 11:10 PM
With you 100% Matty! :thumbsup:

Great battling qualities within the "team" now!!! Well done to Calderwood! :greengrin

Argylehibby
12-02-2011, 11:10 PM

:top marks

said the same thing after the game. There was a bit of steel about the team at long last.

AFKA5814_Hibs
12-02-2011, 11:15 PM
I have so much more confidence for the rest of the season and most of that is down to believeing we have a team who can battle, something we didn't have before.

PC Stamp
12-02-2011, 11:18 PM
BTW I should clarify that I'm not disagreeing that there is unquestionably more steel and fight there ... more stating that we need to bully teams from the first whistle. Winning the midfield early doors gives you the platform to dictate the pattern of the game. We didn't have that 1st half IMHO and such as the OF & Hearts would punish it.

Removed
12-02-2011, 11:41 PM
:agree: Agree with every word Matty.
I thought the signings were a bit young and inexperienced and thought the manager had taken a huge gamble with keeping us up. I am delighted by the way this is turning out. Bring on the Yams in April. I cannot wait to get stuck right into them. Soft touch no more. :flag::flag:

Whilst the last two games have been a definite improvement I think that's a wee bit premature. Unfortunately what will probably happen is that more inept reffing performances like today will probably see our new found steel picking up too many cards ending up being suspended for the next derby :bitchy: Would be just like they jammy gorgie tramps for that to happen.

Dashing Bob S
12-02-2011, 11:43 PM
RU Jambos in disguise?

What about those of us purists who like to watch pretty teams playing attractive, free-flowing passing football?

I like to see a Hibs side come off that pitch without a nasty muddy stain or indeed, a single bead of perspiration on their lovely green and white kits.

Keep the aggression for George Street after a few - it's the Hibernian way.

HibbyRod
12-02-2011, 11:48 PM
Whilst the last two games have been a definite improvement I think that's a wee bit premature. Unfortunately what will probably happen is that more inept reffing performances like today will probably see our new found steel picking up too many cards ending up being suspended for the next derby :bitchy: Would be just like they jammy gorgie tramps for that to happen.

Dinny be a doomsayer man!

We'll cuff the maroons nae problem next time up I say!!! :thumbsup:............

..............(Eh, I'm sure my boss says btw!)

Sir David Gray
12-02-2011, 11:50 PM
We have undoubtedly toughened up all over the pitch and that is mainly down to the new signings.

We also have a lot of players now who are comfortable in possession of the ball and who are quite happy to run with the ball, as opposed to just passing as soon as they get it. The two full backs in particular are both very happy to carry the ball forward, deep into the opposition's half and that's not something that we could have said a few months ago when we had Hart and Grounds at right/left back.

We're still absolutely miles away from where we should be though and I am still embarrassed when I look at the league table.

We are taking small steps in the right direction, I thought defeat was a little harsh on Kilmarnock today as they played well and had several good attempts on goal. However, this time last month I'd bet my boots that we wouldn't have won that game, playing with 10 men for 15 minutes against a good side.

That win today, coupled with Hamilton's defeat, gives us some real breathing space between ourselves and the relegation spot so hopefully some of the pressure is now off the players and we can just see how many points we can pick up between now and the end of the season. Personally I think we've left it too late to mount a challenge for a top six place but we have 8 games left until the split takes place and we just have to do our best and see where we are after 33 games.

seanraff07
12-02-2011, 11:51 PM

:agree:... totally agree with all of that.

Go back a few months and we probably would have lost the last 2 games due to a lack of fight and passion but i think that was the main reasons we won the last 2.

I don't want to get carried away but it's that type of fight and desire to do well that wins you derbies, and i must say that i can't wait to play them in April as i think for the first time in a while we have a realistic chance of winning, they normally beat us due to wanting it more but if we can match their fight then it's all to play for.

:flag:

Franck Stanton
12-02-2011, 11:57 PM
RU Jambos in disguise?

What about those of us purists who like to watch pretty teams playing attractive, free-flowing passing football?

I like to see a Hibs side come off that pitch without a nasty muddy stain or indeed, a single bead of perspiration on their lovely green and white kits.

Better stay away for rest of season them mate, pretty, free-flowing football will have to take a back seat for rest of this season I'm afraid and hard fought ugly football wins are [unfortunately] the order of the day in the dire stae we now find ourselves. Most important thing come 4.45 on a Saturday is we have scored one more than whoever we are playing.

CapitalHibs
13-02-2011, 12:30 AM
Better stay away for rest of season them mate, pretty, free-flowing football will have to take a back seat for rest of this season I'm afraid and hard fought ugly football wins are [unfortunately] the order of the day in the dire stae we now find ourselves. Most important thing come 4.45 on a Saturday is we have scored one more than whoever we are playing.

Yer obviously a newcomer to the Hibs.net board. You 'll catch up wi Bob's sense of humour in no time!:wink:

Phil D. Rolls
13-02-2011, 12:36 AM

Damn right!

The Falcon
13-02-2011, 07:28 AM
BTW I should clarify that I'm not disagreeing that there is unquestionably more steel and fight there ... more stating that we need to bully teams from the first whistle. Winning the midfield early doors gives you the platform to dictate the pattern of the game. We didn't have that 1st half IMHO and such as the OF & Hearts would punish it.

I think that will come as the team develops. Whilst Killie were in the ascendency we continued to battle and the heads stayed up when, a month ago, they would not have and we would have lost.

The significant part, for me, of a very good post. You can see the confidence Hanlon and Wotherspoon, in particular, take from having team mates who will support them in the physical battles. Added to the midfield it now appears we have a striker who can mix it with defenders and stay upright.

Next week is another huge game and the physicallity will be intense.

cad
13-02-2011, 07:58 AM
The change since these new players have came in has been astounding theres a bit of confidence coming back ,plus they seem to all be in it together which didnt seem to be the case before the Jan window .

sahib
13-02-2011, 08:57 AM

I thought we tried to press them from the off. Guy next to me commented how unlike Hibs it was.

Baldy Foghorn
13-02-2011, 10:03 AM
Killie ran the show in the first half but having got away with still being on level terms at HT we actually started to compete and press them in the 2nd half. Why we rarely seem to be able to do it for a full 90 minutes is still something which baffles me.

Spot on, same assessment I would have given....

NORTHERNHIBBY
13-02-2011, 10:32 AM
The way we played yesterday is the way we will need to play until the season end to climb away from trouble. If we continued with wee tippy-tappy players we would have sunk to the first division. I think you can put the football and the possesion play back in when you have the confidence to do it, but wanting de-motivated, nervous players to do it was niave and crass at best.

blackpoolhibs
13-02-2011, 10:33 AM

I think you are right and wrong PC. We had to work very hard to match them, and finally wore them down in the 2nd half and got the rewards. The sending off got them back in the game imo, if that had not happened, i'm sure we'd have gone on and finished the game off a lot stronger.

Kilmarnock have surprised me, they are a good footballing side these days. Much much better than us if i'm honest. Although i'd rather watch what they do than what we are doing, we are on another building process, and at this moment we are grinding results out.

Every game these days is a battle, and each player needs to win their own individual battles, only then can the better quality players start to show their quality. Killie have more of those types than us at this moment, but maybe lack the grafters we had yesterday.

I think over a season Killie would win more games than us, but as i said we are only starting a new side, and maybe this time next season, we will have more quality players too, to blend in with the new lads who have given us a lift and got us pehaps not playing better, but made us certainly more difficult to beat, and in doing that able to pick up points maybe we did not quite deserve in an attacking sence?

Hibby Bairn
13-02-2011, 10:57 AM
Agree with BH. It took us 45 mins to suss them out. When we pressed them hard they started to make mistakes and Hamill and Bryson got less time to pick out passes.

At times they were playing just 2 at the back with the full backs playing so high. And when it started to break down for them we were able to get at them. We were in control when Dickho got sent off and probably would have scored a third.

lyonhibs
13-02-2011, 12:10 PM

:confused:

I wish he'd impose himself in his own 6 yard box a wee bit more. Good shot stopper, but he seems magnetically fixed to his line.

The midfield is night and day compared to when I was last up the road at Christmas though.

ancient hibee
13-02-2011, 01:51 PM
Killie look better than they are-they could have won both games at ER but they don't have enough goal attempts considering the amount of possession they have.A lot of their play is crossfield and the midfield did their job of not diving in to tackles and leaving openings in the centre of the park.One thing is sure and that is that the ball has to come into the centre if you want to score.Incidentally Stack had nothing that wasn't a bread and butter save and that tells a story.

matty_f
13-02-2011, 02:13 PM

I wish he'd impose himself in his own 6 yard box a wee bit more. Good shot stopper, but he seems magnetically fixed to his line.

The midfield is night and day compared to when I was last up the road at Christmas though.

I think the Stack-fixed-to-the-line thing is a myth that folk have cottoned onto. He comes and gets crosses that he can get, and leaves the ones he can't.

He acts as a sweeper when he needs to, and was out sharp to save late in the game.

Sas_The_Hibby
13-02-2011, 02:34 PM
I think the Stack-fixed-to-the-line thing is a myth that folk have cottoned onto. He comes and gets crosses that he can get, and leaves the ones he can't.

He acts as a sweeper when he needs to, and was out sharp to save late in the game.

I don't think it's a myth at all, TBH. If what you say he is true, he must think he's unable to get ANY cross because I've hardly ever seen him come for one.

Don't get me wrong, I think he's a good keeper, apart from coming for crosses, but that's a fairly important part of a keeper's game, especially when you don't have a rock solid defence.

And does ANYONE know what the story is with Mark Brown?

Sas_The_Hibby
13-02-2011, 02:37 PM
Killie look better than they are-they could have won both games at ER but they don't have enough goal attempts considering the amount of possession they have.A lot of their play is crossfield and the midfield did their job of not diving in to tackles and leaving openings in the centre of the park.One thing is sure and that is that the ball has to come into the centre if you want to score.Incidentally Stack had nothing that wasn't a bread and butter save and that tells a story.

:agree: I thought Killie were the better side in both games at Easter Road but, looking backing at yesterday, I could hardly remember Stack having to make a save (apart from his great block at the end, of course).

If I was a Killie fan, I'd be annoyed at how much good possession they had without creating many real goal scoring opportunities.

Sas_The_Hibby
13-02-2011, 02:39 PM
RU Jambos in disguise?

The Tache likes it too - think of the money to be saved on the laundry bill. :greengrin

greenlex
13-02-2011, 02:41 PM
:agree: I thought Killie were the better side in both games at Easter Road, but looking backing at yeseterday, I could hardly remember Stack having to make a save (apart from his great block at the end, of course).

If I was a Killie fan, I'd be annoyed at how much possession they had without creating many real goal scoring opportunities.

He had one decent save in the first half from an angled drive and the great stop when we were down to 10 men late in the second half. For all their posession thye didnt really carve out many decent clear cut chances. That says a lot for our resolve and battling qualities. You couldnt have said that a month ago. :agree:

Beefster
13-02-2011, 02:44 PM
I don't think it's a myth at all, TBH. If what you say he is true, he must think he's unable to get ANY cross because I've hardly ever seen him come for one.

Don't get me wrong, I think he's a good keeper, apart from coming for crosses, but that's a fairly important part of a keeper's game, especially when you don't have a rock solid defence.

And does ANYONE know what the story is with Mark Brown?

He came out and made, at least, one decent punch yesterday.

As for Brown, I don't but I'm assuming that we won't see him again in a Hibs shirt unless it's a proper emergency. If that's down to indiscipline, I'm all for it.

Sas_The_Hibby
13-02-2011, 02:48 PM
He came out and made, at least, one decent punch yesterday.

As for Brown, I don't but I'm assuming that we won't see him again in a Hibs shirt unless it's a proper emergency. If that's down to indiscipline, I'm all for it.

If you take out the "at least", I think your sentence will be fairly accurate! :wink:

Do we have any clue that the Mark Brown thing's about discipline? Sorry, but I've probably missed the relevant rumours - I usually do!

scottp1875
13-02-2011, 03:00 PM
completely agree. in both matches the players have stood up for each other. remember after pallson's tackle against st mirren and again yesterday.

loving the fighting spirit and it gets the fans fired up as well

Phil D. Rolls
13-02-2011, 04:46 PM
I'm feeling a lot more confident. The bottom line is Hamilton have to beat us twice to stay up. I think this team can grind out at least one draw, and will probably do better than that.

Sas_The_Hibby
13-02-2011, 08:58 PM
I'm feeling a lot more confident. The bottom line is Hamilton have to beat us twice to stay up. I think this team can grind out at least one draw, and will probably do better than that.

I'm feeling more confident too, but there's a lot more permutations than that, that could see Hamilton finish above us. A win and two draws against us, and 6 points more than us in their remaining 15 games, for example - hardly impossible.

Speedway
13-02-2011, 10:17 PM

Killie didn't press us for 90 mins either.

Cliff, when have you seen an SPL team press for the full 90?

sesoim
13-02-2011, 10:29 PM

The Hamilton games are still the biggies. Now that we've started winning, we should be fairly confident. The big test is whether this team can come from behind and win. If we can do that as well, we can pull away from the bottom two (and maybe drag Motherwell into it).

matty_f
13-02-2011, 10:37 PM
The Hamilton games are still the biggies. Now that we've started winning, we should be fairly confident. The big test is whether this team can come from behind and win. If we can do that as well, we can pull away from the bottom two (and maybe drag Motherwell into it).

:agree:

Sunday's game is massive, too. A win away at St Mirren, would give us two victories over them in quick succession and would be a big psychological boost for us, IMHO.

I can't see what will change for Hamilton to suddenly start winning games, they've been consistently poor all season, and while the same can be said about us, significant personnel changes have lifted us and appear to have been a catalyst for an improvement in performances and results.

Taking advantage of two games v St Mirren, overtaking them and pulling away from them in the process (IF we can win on Sunday), would be massive.

truehibernian
13-02-2011, 10:49 PM
:agree:

Sunday's game is massive, too. A win away at St Mirren, would give us two victories over them in quick succession and would be a big psychological boost for us, IMHO.

I can't see what will change for Hamilton to suddenly start winning games, they've been consistently poor all season, and while the same can be said about us, significant personnel changes have lifted us and appear to have been a catalyst for an improvement in performances and results.

Taking advantage of two games v St Mirren, overtaking them and pulling away from them in the process (IF we can win on Sunday), would be massive.

I also think matty that the comments of MAC are very revealing about Hamilton's dressing room this last wee while. His recent interview about players falling out is very reminiscent of ourselves last season when we started the bad run.

Also the fact that Millen and Taylor went through a right rigmarole when their contracts went unsigned and they didn't get in touch with the club, for me, shows that they are not that strong behind the scenes.

Could be wrong, but I don't think Hamilton are in the best shape for a relegation struggle.

matty_f
13-02-2011, 11:05 PM
I also think matty that the comments of MAC are very revealing about Hamilton's dressing room this last wee while. His recent interview about players falling out is very reminiscent of ourselves last season when we started the bad run.

Also the fact that Millen and Taylor went through a right rigmarole when their contracts went unsigned and they didn't get in touch with the club, for me, shows that they are not that strong behind the scenes.

Could be wrong, but I don't think Hamilton are in the best shape for a relegation struggle.

That's a good point.

I think it's worth considering that St Mirren and Hamilton are where they are having played about as well as they can all season, whereas I think there is a lot more still to come from us. Hope so, anyway!:greengrin

lucky
13-02-2011, 11:22 PM
Hamilton are going down. 2 wins in 23 matches tells you that. I think that we will do ok from now to the end of the season but we are still miles away from the finished article

Hibernia Na Eir
14-02-2011, 09:32 AM
very true post mate.

its also true that the SPL is a very physical league and Hibs have always come off 2nd best, most of the time, during the battles. Long overdue we have a ring of steel in midfield :greengrin

Dashing Bob S
14-02-2011, 07:50 PM
Still see us as making the top six. I think the points handicap we've given up makes it more interesting but we're by far the best team in the SPL outside the OF.

erin go bragh
14-02-2011, 08:01 PM
90 mins against st mudden:confused: killie have been passing most teams of the park all season and were undefeated on the road since the last time we played them at the leith san siro , onwards and upwards as the op states we now have a mean streak which will help us win games we were losing without hitting top gear which is a great trait to have.
ggtth:flag:

killie-hibby
14-02-2011, 08:06 PM
Still see us as making the top six. I think the points handicap we've given up makes it more interesting but we're by far the best team in the SPL outside the OF.

Absolutely.:agree:

Jack
14-02-2011, 10:38 PM
I thought it was great seeing the players show the grit and determination we’ve been calling for, for years!

We had Mixu sussed; playing the same tippy tappy crap he did with us until everyone sussed us out. The front players and the midfield making it a very uncomfortable afternoon for them in their own half.

Certainly gave :cgwa something to sing about although it's the second game in a row where The Hibs 12th Man wasn't man of the match - but gave the players a good run for their money :rolleyes: