PDA

View Full Version : Yogi's comments re youngsters

KingFranck
12-02-2011, 10:53 PM
Not sure if you will remember this but a few weeks ago Yogi said in a radio interview that CC shouldn't have young lads like Booth and Byrne near the squad when we are battling relegation. Roll forward a few weeks Booth Hanlon Pollson Wotherspoon Towell in the team and we are winning you need to apologise directly to CC Yogi

Ed De Gramo
12-02-2011, 10:58 PM
Not sure if you will remember this but a few weeks ago Yogi said in a radio interview that CC shouldn't have young lads like Booth and Byrne near the squad when we are battling relegation. Roll forward a few weeks Booth Hanlon Pollson Wotherspoon Towell in the team and we are winning you need to apologise directly to CC Yogi

Yogi's comments recently have been nothing short of awful.

If it was Yogi in this position, he'd have sold all our young talent and had a squad of Falkirk huddies battling relegation.*

erskine-hibby
12-02-2011, 11:01 PM
That's one of the reasons he is, thankfully, mo longer our manager.

CallumLaidlaw
12-02-2011, 11:09 PM
There isn't many hibbies that didn't want yogi to succeed, but some of his signings were ridiculous, some of his loan deals were unbelievable, and some of his line-ups were unreal.
Towell, Palsson, and thornhill have shown us the kind of players we CAN bring in, and maybe Divis, Scott and Sodje will be the same.

Jonnyboy
12-02-2011, 11:12 PM
Yogi's comments recently have been nothing short of awful.

If it was Yogi in this position, he'd have sold all our young talent and had a squad of Falkirk huddies battling relegation.*

:agree:

Not to mention that when he was linked with the Motherwell job he said "I like Motherwell, it's a working class kind of town" which no doubt endeared him to the residents there :greengrin

AFKA5814_Hibs
12-02-2011, 11:12 PM

:agree:

Said the same on the Booth thread. Yogi wouldn't have played him, he would have left him on loan at Brechin till the end of the season.

IWasThere2016
12-02-2011, 11:26 PM
That's one of the reasons he is, thankfully, no longer our manager.

:agree: Total plum.

Hiber-nation
12-02-2011, 11:34 PM
Its early days with CC's new team so let's not get carried away. Things will be clearer in a few weeks time...

However Yogi's "vision" for Hibs was in hindsight, a million miles away from reality and he's doing himself no favours whatsoever with the stuff he's been spouting recently, very little of which makes any sense at all.

Hibbie_Cameron
12-02-2011, 11:43 PM
:agree: Total plum.

:top marks

Some of his comments since he left hibs have actually made me question my sanity. Just says the first thing to come into his head imo

ScottB
12-02-2011, 11:46 PM
He really should keep his thoughts about us to himself, particularly ideas about what we should or shouldn't be doing, given his record.

Can't think of any previous manager who has had as much to say about us afterwards than he has.

whiskyhibby
13-02-2011, 12:00 AM
Thats why he is the ex manager of Hibs

:taxi:taxi

Argylehibby
13-02-2011, 12:15 AM
Looks to me as if he wants to stay in the limelight so that he is in the frame when a club has a vacancy for a manager. @He doesn't seem to realise that talking garbage isn't likely to get you a job.

Mibbes Aye
13-02-2011, 12:17 AM

I didn't hear Hughes' comment and I'm always wary about context. Also appreciate that he's getting work as a pundit and will be obliged to make comment.

What's interesting for me is that in Booth and Towell we seem to have two mobile full backs who look like they can push up the flanks and push on, which is very much what Hughes was looking for. I can appreciate that maybe Booth wasn't there in terms of development when Hughes came in. I suppose it begs the question why he couldn't find alternatives

ScottB
13-02-2011, 01:17 AM
I didn't hear Hughes' comment and I'm always wary about context. Also appreciate that he's getting work as a pundit and will be obliged to make comment.

What's interesting for me is that in Booth and Towell we seem to have two mobile full backs who look like they can push up the flanks and push on, which is very much what Hughes was looking for. I can appreciate that maybe Booth wasn't there in terms of development when Hughes came in. I suppose it begs the question why he couldn't find alternatives

Falkirk didn't have any? :wink:

Saorsa
13-02-2011, 01:20 AM
I always thought Hughes was an idiot, everytime he opens his gob he only serves tae reinforce that belief

matty_f
13-02-2011, 01:39 AM

I'm sure there's an argument that would say Booth in particular wouldn't have slotted into the first team as easily as he has without having had the first half of the season on loan.

Having seen a fair bit of Booth previously, though, I don't necessarily hold that point of view.

Phil D. Rolls
13-02-2011, 01:39 AM

Yogi knows so much about football, we should be grateful he still wants to share it with Hibs. The man has no time at all for silly things like ego and loves Hibs so much. :cgwa

TrickyNicky
13-02-2011, 04:48 AM
Yogi knows so much about football, we should be grateful he still wants to share it with Hibs. The man has no time at all for silly things like ego and loves Hibs so much. :cgwa

That's if your one of those people that really knows fitbaw of course !

IWasThere2016
13-02-2011, 06:53 AM

:faf: FFS FR that's my porridge splattered all over the place man! :faf:

The Falcon
13-02-2011, 08:11 AM
Its early days with CC's new team so let's not get carried away. Things will be clearer in a few weeks time...

However Yogi's "vision" for Hibs was in hindsight, a million miles away from reality and he's doing himself no favours whatsoever with the stuff he's been spouting recently, very little of which makes any sense at all.

I dont think we are getting carried away but most of us can at least see significant progress in the team. The new signings, Palsson in particular, look to have addressed issues which where blatantly obvious even to non-fitba people.
A bit of fighting (literally!) for each other yesterday was a measure of this.

I'm sure there's an argument that would say Booth in particular wouldn't have slotted into the first team as easily as he has without having had the first half of the season on loan.

Having seen a fair bit of Booth previously, though, I don't necessarily hold that point of view.

I could never work out why yogi, when we had problems at LB, did not allow Booth a run there. Now that Callum has had a wee run makes Yogi's decison even more bizarre and it now looks like he was intransigent and self serving.

I really wanted Yogi to be successful but he couldnt back up his big talk with performances, although results did go his way in the early part of last season.
His comments towards the end were those of a man who had no idea what he was doing and the gems he is now sharing with the nation are cringeworthy to say the least.

Wilson
13-02-2011, 09:44 AM
I was not great fan of Yogi's and there is plenty of ammo to slate him with but I disagree on the Booth front.

Had he tried to trade him for Bobby Mann you may all have a point. However, sending a young player out for a bit of experience is a sound move - whether we think he should be thrown to into the first team or not.

Had Yogi thrown Booth into HIS free-falling powderpuff side it would have been held up as an example of his cluelessness and Petrie's refusal to spend.

As it transpired Calderwood got to include a promising youngster, returning with a bit of first team experience, into a side to which he has added quality and steel. It worked out for the best.

Andy74
13-02-2011, 09:48 AM
I dont think we are getting carried away but most of us can at least see significant progress in the team. The new signings, Palsson in particular, look to have addressed issues which where blatantly obvious even to non-fitba people.
A bit of fighting (literally!) for each other yesterday was a measure of this.

I could never work out why yogi, when we had problems at LB, did not allow Booth a run there. Now that Callum has had a wee run makes Yogi's decison even more bizarre and it now looks like he was intransigent and self serving.

I really wanted Yogi to be successful but he couldnt back up his big talk with performances, although results did go his way in the early part of last season.
His comments towards the end were those of a man who had no idea what he was doing and the gems he is now sharing with the nation are cringeworthy to say the least.

Significant progress in what way? We've won a couple of games at home v St Mirren and Killie without being very good. Some might say we were a bit lucky yesterday.

Isn't that what we were complaining strongly about last year whilst in third?

Yep, it's better than being set for the drop but if we weren't happy with 7 months of results without being brilliant i'm not seeing that much has been achieved by getting to this stage.

I'm backing CC and the new players have done well but in the long term what are we looking for again as we seem to have changed our minds again that it's okay to win by being lucky or by just being commited.

This place was going mental the last time that happened.

Westie1875
13-02-2011, 09:52 AM
Significant progress in what way? We've won a couple of games at home v St Mirren and Killie without being very good. Some might say we were a bit lucky yesterday.

Yep, it's better than being set for the drop but if we weren't happy with 7 months of results without being brilliant i'm not seeing that much has been achieved by getting to this stage.

I'm backing CC and the new players have done well but in the long term what are we looking for again as we seem to have changed our minds again that it's okay to win by being lucky or by just being commited.

At the moment we just need wins, it doesn't matter how we achieve them IMO as long as we get points on the board. Once we are in a safer position we can afford to be more fussy about the style of play and how we achieve points, that likely won't be until next season.

Andy74
13-02-2011, 09:58 AM
At the moment we just need wins, it doesn't matter how we achieve them IMO as long as we get points on the board. Once we are in a safer position we can afford to be more fussy about the style of play and how we achieve points, that likely won't be until next season.
So getting wins to try and reach third place wasn't important?

Just want to understand why we'd be happy from now on with winning no matter what when we weren't happy about it previously. I'm not talking about the slump either. There were plenty very unhappy sitting in third and winning games because it wasn't done in style every week. Here we are miles away from that and it seems to be a good thing.

Part/Time Supporter
13-02-2011, 10:07 AM

Just want to understand why we'd be happy from now on with winning no matter what when we weren't happy about it previously. I'm not talking about the slump either. There were plenty very unhappy sitting in third and winning games because it wasn't done in style every week. Here we are miles away from that and it seems to be a good thing.

Because of the context in which each of those things have happened.

Yogi had a team that was going well (mainly due to him bringing in Stokes, in fairness), but then didn't seem to have a clue how to turn it around when a few things went against Hibs (Bamba not coming back from Africa the same player, Miller going off form, Zemamma injury). He threw up excuses like "there's goals in the team" (there weren't after Stokes was sold) and "we've had a really tough run of games" (that one went a bit quiet after they failed to beat ICT and Accies at home).

Calderwood inherited a struggling team with players who couldn't play his more direct / physical style. He's had an opportunity to address that in January and appears to have made a pretty decent fist of it. More than could be said for Yogi.

I think Yogi as a manager had a half-decent "plan A" but then his only solution when things go badly is to do even more of it. I think you saw that at Falkirk as well - at times they would look really good, but more often they would struggle after the opposition had figured them out. A poor man's Tony Mowbray, if you will.

greenlex
13-02-2011, 10:09 AM

You aren't getting it Andy are you. We grafted for that win yesterday so there was nothing lucky about it. It may have not been silky ir pleasing on the eye at times but was far from lucky. It could be argued that Killie were unlucky not to take something from the game it has to be said.

Westie1875
13-02-2011, 10:15 AM

I never said either of these things so can't answer your questions.

I'm not interested in looking back to last season either, as far as I'm concerned it is what is happening now and in the future that matters.

BEEJ
13-02-2011, 10:31 AM
In his role as pundit Yogi recently stated that Booth's weakness was his lack of height which left him exposed as a full-back. Presumably why he brought in Grounds on loan for a few months.

He also praised Booth for 'being able to run all day' (or words to that effect) and having pace. But he clearly saw Booth's weakness in the air as significant.

Had Yogi thrown Booth into HIS free-falling powderpuff side it would have been held up as an example of his cluelessness and Petrie's refusal to spend.

As it transpired Calderwood got to include a promising youngster, returning with a bit of first team experience, into a side to which he has added quality and steel. It worked out for the best.
Booth was previously out on loan to Arbroath from February to May 2010. So some vital first-team experience had already been gained by the start of this season.

Arch Stanton
13-02-2011, 10:44 AM

If CC was starting a new season you could make comparisons but he's had to build a team from scratch while being at the bottom end of the table.

Hughes had no idea about building a team other than trying to use his motivating skills to make the team great. Oh yes, and relying on Stokes to grab us goals in games we were never in otherwise. He got a squad that looked decent on paper and managed to get results early on - but when teams learned to take the game to us we were stuffed.

And I don't know about anyone else but it hasn't been the last two wins that have pleased me as much as the way we have performed - not as well versed as St Mirren and Killie perhaps but there are signs we will get there.

It's significant I think that the main disagreement on hibs.net is about how well Ian Murray did and whether he is past it or not - but even then no one would complain about the same team being picked next week (suspensions allowing of course).

Whereas, under Hughes, there was always 2 or 3 that people were slagging off for poor performances - changed days.

BEEJ
13-02-2011, 10:58 AM

I felt the 'unease' expressed during Hughes successful spell at the start of season 2009/10 was down to the realisation that we were relying on a few talisman characters in the side to deliver results for us. Despite the good results we seldom delivered a team performance that visibly demonstrated that we were the better side.

(Interesting that in contrast yesterday's was actually a team performance. It had to be, as Killie were the more skillful side on the day.)

So the unease back at the start of 2009/10 was that it would have been very easy for us to have been found out if those key players were not for some reason available for selection. In the end that turned out to be the case.

In hindsight the only thing those doom-sayers got wrong was the depths to which we would sink once those circumstances arose.

--------
13-02-2011, 11:40 AM

Bottom line - winning is the thing. Losing stylishly gets you nowhere.

In a sense we're our own worst enemies, because it's not enough for a manager to get the team winning - sooner or later someone comes on here with a thread slagging the guy because 'the team aren't playing the way a Hibs team should' - and off we all go on another good ol' Hibee moanfest.

If we were to win the Cup next season with a series of ugly, muscular, hard-tackling 1-0 wins, concentrating on stopping the other lot playing and being Pragmatic with a capital 'P' all the way, I might go very quiet during the process, but I can assure you that the victory celebrations in the Caldera would be AWESOME. there would be no doubt at all that there was at least ONE Hibee in town that night (and for the month following!), no mistake.

Hughes talked a good game - until you wakened up and started listening and taking notice of what he was saying. What brought him down was the fact that his listeners had a longer attention-span than he had. They remembered what he had said previously, and realised he was constantly contradicting himself. One moment it was 'You must have experienced players in a relegation fight', the next it was, 'It's great Hibs have so many young players in their team'.

The same man who left Callum Booth out because he was allegedly 'too small' was the man who assembled the smallest Hibs midfield in living memory. As the wee man in the German helmet used to say, "Interesting.... But stoopid!"

What I'm looking for from Calderwood and Adams is a process of developing young players and getting them into the team - Towell, Hanlon, Booth, Wotherspoon and Palsson, for example - while bringing players in from outside who'll provide strength and experience so that the younger players get the time to develop - Scott, Thornhill, Sodje. If they continue along the lines they've started on this window, I'll be happy to wait and see what transpires.

We have 2 or 3 youngsters who must be close to their first-team breakthroughs now - Stephens, Byrne, and Welsh, for example? And I guess CC and DA will already be talking to agents and making up their summer shopping-list - I'd be surprised if they weren't.

I think we need to adopt the same careful, professional, long-term approach to team matters as the board have adopted with such success to the stadium redevelopment, the financial structures, and training-ground, to build up an effective player-development program and to foster relationships with schools and community groups throughout the area we operate in.

This will take longer than throwing money at the problems would, but in the end Hibs will be a lot stronger and the future a lot brighter.

Franck is God
13-02-2011, 12:17 PM
Don't see the point anymore slagging Hughes for what he's said in the past, he was our manager for 18 months and in the end it simply didn't work out well for him and he is now gone.

As for playing youngsters in a relegation battle, he will not be the only manager that would go with experience over youth.

My own personal opinion on footballers has always been if you're good enough you're old enough regardless of age but when you saw our back four after Dickoh was sent off with not one of them over 20 it shows that CC is of the same opinion.

Andy74
13-02-2011, 01:35 PM
You aren't getting it Andy are you. We grafted for that win yesterday so there was nothing lucky about it. It may have not been silky ir pleasing on the eye at times but was far from lucky. It could be argued that Killie were unlucky not to take something from the game it has to be said.
I see. We had seven months of luck but that yesterday was deserved. Says it all for me about what suits folk at the time.

greenlex
13-02-2011, 01:45 PM
I see. We had seven months of luck but that yesterday was deserved. Says it all for me about what suits folk at the time.
No Andy I didnt think we were lucky for seven months and was saying so at the time. We did carry luck in some of those games though.
I know what you are trying to do but it doesnt stack up mate. I dont know what you think you saw yesterday but a lucky performance wasnt it.
Dug in and got a result. Luck didnt come into it. I would also go as far as to say we still arent getting the break of the ball at the moment.

Just Jimmy
13-02-2011, 02:08 PM
Yogi was a disgrace as Hibernian manager. From the way he conducted himself in interviews, to the way he conducted himself on the touchline, to his pathetic teams and piss poor signings.

I'm glad he's gone, where we are is his, and only his fault. He should have been sacked after Ross county. No, if he had any self respect for the institution that is Hibs, he should have known that was never good enough and walked.

If he ever darkens the door of Easter Road again it'll be too soon and if he ever comes back to watch us, I'd make him pay for every ticket he uses.

BEEJ
13-02-2011, 02:14 PM
I would also go as far as to say we still arent getting the break of the ball at the moment.
:agree: I'd agree with that. Virtually every break of the ball yesterday fell easily to a Killie player.

blackpoolhibs
13-02-2011, 02:20 PM

I thought we were lucky to win yesterday, maybe not as lucky as the 3-0 win against St Johnstone last season though?:wink::agree:

Brizo
13-02-2011, 03:02 PM
Don't see the point anymore slagging Hughes for what he's said in the past.

Its what he is still saying that seems to be the thing that annoys folk. Yogis using the platform of media pundit to continually justify his tenure at ER and afaik he has never accepted responsibility for anything that wrong.

Other managers have left and kept a dignified silence. Yogi rewriting history via his wireless gig smacks of an egotistical self publicist seeking to sell himself in the best possible light for potential employers.

matty_f
13-02-2011, 03:17 PM
No Andy I didnt think we were lucky for seven months and was saying so at the time. We did carry luck in some of those games though.
I know what you are trying to do but it doesnt stack up mate. I dont know what you think you saw yesterday but a lucky performance wasnt it.
Dug in and got a result. Luck didnt come into it. I would also go as far as to say we still arent getting the break of the ball at the moment.

The big difference to when we won last season whilst not playing well, to yesterday's win, was that it felt like we 'deserved' the win yesterday. I don't think we were lucky to beat St Johnstone 3-0 last season, but at the same time I don't think we deserved to win by that amount.

Yesterday we had to fight for everything we got. It was backs to the wall when it needed to be and against a good team we deservedly took the points, IMHO.

IWasThere2016
13-02-2011, 03:18 PM
Its what he is still saying that seems to be the thing that annoys folk. Yogis using the platform of media pundit to continually justify his tenure at ER and afaik he has never accepted responsibility for anything that wrong.

Other managers have left and kept a dignified silence. Yogi rewriting history via his wireless gig smacks of an egotistical self publicist seeking to sell himself in the best possible light for potential employers.

Well said. It is times for Hughes to shut up. His 'banter' is tired, hollow and irrelevant.

Phil D. Rolls
13-02-2011, 05:09 PM
That's if your one of those people that really knows fitbaw of course !

:faf: FFS FR that's my porridge splattered all over the place man! :faf:

I gave it a right good go.

yekimevol
13-02-2011, 06:33 PM
yogi was a great player for us !!!

BUT AS A MANAGER, i dont rate him, nor did i any confidance in him. how could hibernian football club sign a manager who almost got his own club releigated twice in two seasons.

The Hurricane
13-02-2011, 07:17 PM
I always thought Hughes was an idiot, everytime he opens his gob he only serves tae reinforce that belief
I am at the stage now that when that tube opens his mouth it makes me feel physically sick.

blackpoolhibs
13-02-2011, 07:21 PM
I am at the stage now that when that tube opens his mouth it makes me feel physically sick.

I bet you still sleep with the light on?

--------
13-02-2011, 07:22 PM

I was talking to a Smellie at work and he reckoned that Yogi came across like a builder's labourer in interviews. I didn't really know what he meant likes.

It meant his breeks were halfway down his backside and a bad case of brickie's bum.

Mind you, considering where Hughes usually talks out of, that's probably the only way he could be audible. :rolleyes:

The Hurricane
13-02-2011, 07:23 PM
I bet you still sleep with the light on?
only in the winter :wink:

blackpoolhibs
13-02-2011, 07:25 PM
only in the winter :wink:

:greengrin

majorhibs
13-02-2011, 11:39 PM

I was talking to a Smellie at work and he reckoned that Yogi came across like a builder's labourer in interviews. I didn't really know what he meant likes.

And you never will, mate. Builders Labourers, me & Yogi hughes, despite all our failings, graft a bit. Might get it wrong, possibly more often than not, but will try, real shifts as well, feel a wee bit too much OTT is bein used here personally.

IWasThere2016
14-02-2011, 12:41 AM

Where you at the 5-1 pumping at Perf? We were lucky it was only 5! an hour of being run ragged, and Smith (yes, old Flapper himself keeping it respectable), when Nae Plan B sticks on poorer players into the same formation - genius! We shoulda kept Yogi right enough :faf:

Sudds_1
14-02-2011, 09:01 AM

I'd rather be lucky winning ugly..........than losing and preparing to watch a relegated side play with style against 1st division opposition.......and win **** all .:agree:

Phil D. Rolls
14-02-2011, 06:59 PM
And you never will, mate. Builders Labourers, me & Yogi hughes, despite all our failings, graft a bit. Might get it wrong, possibly more often than not, but will try, real shifts as well, feel a wee bit too much OTT is bein used here personally.

I have thought again about that post, it wasn't the nicest or wisest thing to say, and I have already deleted that paragraph. It just sounded snobbish.

My main gripe with Yogi is that he was out of his depth in the Hibs job, and should maybe have said less when things were going wrong. His accent or his grammar wasn't the real issue.

Arch Stanton
14-02-2011, 07:53 PM

Ach, get off yer high horse! Hughes made a parody of the working class Scots guy in much the same way Harry Lauder did. If had worked for him fair enough but it didn't and he should now shut up.