PDA

View Full Version : Well done Colin Calderwood (merged)

glenberviehibee
12-02-2011, 05:07 PM
Hopefuly now CC will now be given some breathing space to develop the team.I think he will come good it sounded like a hard working well deserved victory,great afternoon Hamilton losing St Mirren drawing roll on the top 6.Well done CC and the Hibees

HH81
12-02-2011, 05:07 PM
:thumbsup: You were getting stick here a few weeks ago but you have brought some decent players in and its already looking better.

Well done. :agree::thumbsup::flag::flag::flag::flag::cgwa:cgw a:

SRHibs
12-02-2011, 05:10 PM
Kind of pointless thread. While I supported him myself, people were definitely justified in their doubting of Colin Calderwood, considering the string of results we've had under him. We're also not out the woods yet. Baby steps. :wink:

Good result though, and it's nice to see 2 of the new guys getting on the scoresheet.:thumbsup:

Beefster
12-02-2011, 05:12 PM
Folk shouldn't have been doubting him so soon. If they were though, they shouldn't be changing their mind after two games.

--------
12-02-2011, 05:14 PM
Hopefuly now CC will now be given some breathing space to develop the team.I think he will come good it sounded like a hard working well deserved victory,great afternoon Hamilton losing St Mirren drawing roll on the top 6.Well done CC and the Hibees

To be fair to those who were doubting, the last two games have put a very different gloss on the team's performances. But it was FAR too early to be calling for his dismissal - Hughes left him almost nothing to work with.

6 points make a huge difference to our position, and we have a run of four games coming from which we should take at least another 6 - probably more. I think CC's the sort of manager who takes a long-term view and hopefully once he's kept us in the SPL he'll get the resources to re-sign a couple of our present squad, bring in more players to strengthen us again, and we'll move on from there.

In the Caldera the sun is shining, and an auld Hibee's beginning to think that maybe this cut in his tummy might have healed enough for him to get back to ER very soon.

In Calderwood and Adams I think we may have a very good coaching team indeed.

Springbank
12-02-2011, 05:14 PM
don't think I doubted Calderwood, but what I am still angry about is the fact we wasted the month of January getting pumped out of the Cup and goalless in the league, when a bit of quicker action from CC and RP would have seen us enter March with a great chance in a wide open cup.

Delighted the new boys are here, and making a great impact, and I like what CC has to say.

So, for me, the criticisms are timing issues & what might have beens

Dashing Bob S
12-02-2011, 05:22 PM
Me for one.

I think you have to a bit ******ed not to doubt somebody who comes into a new club with a record of 2 wins from their first 19 games.

Have been impressed by his cool head, and his competitive signings and his restructuring of the team. Not going to get too carried away with laboured home wins against St Mirren and Kilmarnock, but I'm certainly starting to trust in his judgment and vision.

Petrie deserves credit as well, for sticking with his man and his plan, and not pushing the panic button.

CalgaryHibs
12-02-2011, 05:32 PM
Yes it does seam CC has got things pointing in the right direction .

SRHibs
12-02-2011, 05:36 PM
Obviously CC deserves a little bit of credit, but I think most of it should go to Pedantic_Hibee. 2 wins in 2 so far.:thumbsup:

jacomo
12-02-2011, 05:37 PM
Yes I had my doubts and they are not entirely gone.

However, he's had a great few weeks and I sincerely hope it all comes good. He now knows a lot more about the SPL, which can only help.

hibees59
12-02-2011, 05:41 PM

Welcome to the madhouse Colin :devil:

Westie1875
12-02-2011, 05:42 PM
Well done CC, your signings are making the difference. :agree:

greenlex
12-02-2011, 08:30 PM
don't think I doubted Calderwood, but what I am still angry about is the fact we wasted the month of January getting pumped out of the Cup and goalless in the league, when a bit of quicker action from CC and RP would have seen us enter March with a great chance in a wide open cup.

Delighted the new boys are here, and making a great impact, and I like what CC has to say.

So, for me, the criticisms are timing issues & what might have beens
Always makes me smile when folk just assume that nothing was being done the first couple of weeks of the window.:rolleyes:

Earl of Currie
12-02-2011, 08:43 PM
So far so good , I think that CC has done the same at Hibs as he has at other clubs. Introduced bigger , more athletic players who can do the basics well.
Add that to the few players at the club with an element of skill and youthful excuberance and you have the basis of a good team who would do well in a pretty poor SPL.
Early days , but we have the right man at the helm and given time to ship out more of the dead wood and work with his men I know that CC will have Hibs back at the top end of the league.
Hbs have the infrastructure , and the financial flexibility to operate as the best team outside of the OF. Continue to give CC the support and by the end of next season we will see a Hibs team that will be difficult to beat. I dont think that Hibs will be playing pretty football , but they will learn how keep a clean sheet , to grind out wins and win ugly which is what you really need to do to succeed in the SPL.

AFKA5814_Hibs
12-02-2011, 09:12 PM
The proof in the pudding was always going to be once he's managed to get some of his own players in. Those players have made the difference in the last 2 games. Still early days, but things are looking up.

IWasThere2016
12-02-2011, 09:23 PM
Well done CC, your signings are making the difference. :agree:

:agree: Great signings!

He needed a window and it was daft to judge beforehand IMO.
Yogi left a great bl**dy mess!

Remember this is the difficult window to get players in :wink:

Just wait when there a load out and a better 7/8 players in!

Go the CC! :thumbsup:

Beefster
12-02-2011, 10:31 PM
I think you have to a bit ******ed not to doubt somebody who comes into a new club with a record of 2 wins from their first 19 games.

Your stats are wrong.

erskine-hibby
12-02-2011, 10:59 PM
:agree: Great signings!

He needed a window and it was daft to judge beforehand IMO.
Yogi left a great bl**dy mess!

Remember this is the difficult window to get players in :wink:

Just wait when there a load out and a better 7/8 players in!

Go the CC! :thumbsup:

Couldn't agree more.
Had we stuck with Yogi we would, IMHO, be as good as down already.

We are seeing just a glimpse of what can be done in a notoriously bad window, just think what can be achieved in the summer.
:cgwa

Dashing Bob S
12-02-2011, 11:11 PM
Your stats are wrong.

Sorry, forgot to add my usual '...or something like that.'

Can never be bothered looking up those things, but the general point still holds.

hibbymark
14-02-2011, 08:33 AM
If we win every week i dont mind but is it true that CC still lives in northampton and only takes training twice a week?

lucky
14-02-2011, 08:46 AM
For me the jury is still out. I hope he succeeds but still not convinced

RIP
14-02-2011, 10:00 AM
For the last 3 years we have had a lightweight midfield. This has never been addressed and signing makeweights like Kerr, Rankin, De Graaf, Cregg and McBride didn't help. Maybe after losing 3 managers in 3 years Petrie finally agreed to loosen the purse strings. Maybe Colin had a better eye for a player. Bit of both I suspect.

The other thing we have severely lacked is pace. All other SPL teams have invested in pace and on Saturday when Killie attacked they ripped us a new one several times. They just couldn't finish and big Stackie made 2 vital saves.

As things stand we now have 2 fast new full backs and Danny Galbraith. In the summer I'd like to see a speedy right winger and 2 fast strikers. At the moment, we have 3 big men, a top striker who blows hot and cold, Duffy and Byrne (if they ever get a game) and Wotherspoon playing any position including (for the last 15 mins on Sat) - centre forward.

Wingers and strikers in the summer please Rod and Colin :agree:

J-C
14-02-2011, 10:11 AM
I didn't want him gone, far from it but was a wee bit worried there wasn't a response from the players when he took over. His constant shuffling of the team didn't seem to go down well either but in hindsight you could see what he was trying. Out of all the midfielders to hand he obviously thought like us he could've got a decent combination to steer us clear of trouble, unfortunately there were too many who couldn't care less and didn't try a leg. He spotted pretty quickly that the midfield was our main problem and thankfully he's fixed that, all we need now is a wee run and suddenly confidence will be sky high again.

basehibby
14-02-2011, 11:03 AM
I was expressing increasing alarm during january at the exits of some of our better players while I was unconvinced about the quality of the guys coming in.

A few games down the line it seems that some problem areas have been addressed and Calderwood DOES seem to know what he's doing. So CC certainly does deserve a big WELL DONE and a few of these :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:.

Keep it up Colin - 6 points in the bag for 2011 - may that just be the beginning of better times for all us Hibees!

hibs0666
14-02-2011, 11:06 AM
Y
If we win every week i dont mind but is it true that CC still lives in northampton and only takes training twice a week?

Nope.

Big Frank
14-02-2011, 01:20 PM
So far so good , I think that CC has done the same at Hibs as he has at other clubs. Introduced bigger , more athletic players who can do the basics well.
Add that to the few players at the club with an element of skill and youthful excuberance and you have the basis of a good team who would do well in a pretty poor SPL.
Early days , but we have the right man at the helm and given time to ship out more of the dead wood and work with his men I know that CC will have Hibs back at the top end of the league.
Hbs have the infrastructure , and the financial flexibility to operate as the best team outside of the OF. Continue to give CC the support and by the end of next season we will see a Hibs team that will be difficult to beat. I dont think that Hibs will be playing pretty football , but they will learn how keep a clean sheet , to grind out wins and win ugly which is what you really need to do to succeed in the SPL.

Spot on.

You should post more :agree:

--------
14-02-2011, 02:27 PM

:agree:

I think some of us overdo the "Hibernian way", wanting us to win AND play classy football. First and foremost I want Hibs to WIN. That means being difficult to score against, able to tough it out in a crisis, able to take one chance if that's the only one they get to win the game.

i don't think CC will deliberately set out to have us playing ugly, but I guess he's pragmatic enough to take a 2-0 or 2-1 win without the frills, rather than going for a third goal and ending up drawing or losing the game. (Ask Tony Mowbray's Red-and-White-Boro-Army about this and see what they're saying this week.)

I've always been a believer in the old principle of building from the back. Get a dependable goalie, a strong back four, and a hard-working midfield - then look for a couple of class strikers to finish it off. In that order.

That way, if you're in trouble, you stop the rot quickly. Then once you start scoring goals, everyone becomes that wee bit more positive and attack-minded.

In the old days a manager could bring in new players as soon as he arrived, but nowadays he has to wait till the first transfer window.

And before anyone says anything, Hibs having a team that's "difficult to beat" sounds REALLY good to me after the past few years of powder-puff midfields and oh-so-fragile defences, all frills and no backbone.

truehibernian
14-02-2011, 02:48 PM
Am I right in saying that all of our wins have come from when we have scored first under CC ?

I think his post match interview told everyone he appreciated that the football wasn't pretty as he would like, but when you are scrapping at the wrong end of the table, or on a bad run, you will take any kind of victory. I am sure Carlo Ancelotti would have taken any scrappy 1-0 win when Chelsea went on a bad run.

Wins breed confidence and Hibs have started to play for each other rather than as individuals. Stack, Palsson, Sodje and Murray have introduced a will to win in key positions. Scoring first has also made a huge difference teamwise and crowdwise. They become less fearful to carry the ball and try to take the game to teams.

I said at the time, had Miller, Nish or Galbraith taken any of their chances at Dundee before they scored, I think we would have been looking at three wins out of three since the window closing.

St Mirren is a big game and a real test of the new team's character. Grab the first goal again and I am confident we can go on and take the 3 points.

truehibernian
14-02-2011, 02:58 PM
Scratch that, I now remember Well scored first with a penalty at ER. Still, when we score first you can see the team relax and enjoy football more.