PDA

View Full Version : Rail Travel

Phil D. Rolls
10-02-2011, 11:08 AM
I think one way to get people off the roads is to make rail fares easier to understand. I just can't find anywhere on the web that has sensible fares to London.

H18BYM
10-02-2011, 11:19 AM
I think one way to get people off the roads is to make rail fares easier to understand. I just can't find anywhere on the web that has sensible fares to London.

:agree: I also find it frustrating that you can only book up to 13 weeks (I think)in advance. I get hotel offers all the time for booking in advance but can't confirm what a train would cost until 13 weeks before. :confused:

Phil D. Rolls
10-02-2011, 11:27 AM
:agree: I also find it frustrating that you can only book up to 13 weeks (I think)in advance. I get hotel offers all the time for booking in advance but can't confirm what a train would cost until 13 weeks before. :confused:

The likes of Easyjet must be getting a lot of their business.

easty
10-02-2011, 11:37 AM

That said, at least you know that by booking 13 weeks in advance you get the cheapest fares. Lots of people dont.

I lived in Leeds for a few years and, as long as I booked them as soon as they were released, I got a return for £20. Really good/fair price.

I'd agree with FR that it would get people off the roads if they could understand rail pricing, and how/where to get the cheapest deals.

I've never lived abroad so have no way to compare rail travel but in this country it can seem really expensive to travel by train.

lapsedhibee
10-02-2011, 11:43 AM

Have found www.thetrainline.com to be a sensible site, though rail fares are still expensive. Something to do with having to pay unionised drivers (some of whom are no doubt Muslims) too much, I shouldn't wonder. :panic:

Geo_1875
10-02-2011, 12:05 PM
Have found www.thetrainline.com to be a sensible site, though rail fares are still expensive. Something to do with having to pay unionised drivers (some of whom are no doubt Muslims) too much, I shouldn't wonder. :panic:

thetrainline is a rip-off. They charge a booking fee and for cards. Cheaper finding out what train you want then go to the station and buy a ticket. Also don't expect much back if you have to change your travel arrangements.

Phil D. Rolls
10-02-2011, 12:19 PM

Fares looked OK to me, but when you compare it with the price of a single from Amsterdam to Auschwitz (return tickets practically impossible to find), you can see how this country is going down the tubes.

magpie1892
10-02-2011, 12:27 PM
Fares looked OK to me, but when you compare it with the price of a single from Amsterdam to Auschwitz, you can see how this country is going down the tubes.

*wild applause*

eastcoast.co.uk is cheaper than thetrainline, and better, for trips to London.

Be warned if you're going to London though, it's absolutely crawling with darkies.

Woody1985
10-02-2011, 12:36 PM
Is there an 'in' joke on this thread? :greengrin

Phil D. Rolls
10-02-2011, 12:59 PM
*wild applause*

eastcoast.co.uk is cheaper than thetrainline, and better, for trips to London.

Be warned if you're going to London though, it's absolutely crawling with darkies.

Two things I hate people talking about: religion and race and the blacks are even worse than the Muslims in my experience.

Is there an 'in' joke on this thread? :greengrin

No anyone can join in. :greengrin

heretoday
10-02-2011, 02:14 PM
I never go by train to London now. Aside from the confused method of buying tickets, who wants to sit on a train for 4 or 5 hours? It doesn't cost that much to go by plane.

And it's more fun.....

magpie1892
10-02-2011, 03:55 PM
Two things I hate people talking about: religion and race and the blacks are even worse than the Muslims in my experience.

*sharp intake of breath*

Getting very close to the wire there, FR, even for a holocaust-denying, BNP member like myself.

hibeenicol
10-02-2011, 03:55 PM

I used trainline.com and checked it everyday eventually got 2 adults return from markinch to kings cross for £73.

I would keep checking as the fares change everyday.

Phil D. Rolls
10-02-2011, 04:04 PM
*sharp intake of breath*

Getting very close to the wire there, FR, even for a holocaust-denying, BNP member like myself.

Too soon?

I used trainline.com and checked it everyday eventually got 2 adults return from markinch to kings cross for £73.

I would keep checking as the fares change everyday.

Cheers for that, I've seen London for £29, which actually seems fare, but they arrive around midnight. I'll keep searching.

magpie1892
10-02-2011, 04:08 PM
Too soon?

Hmm...

Cheers for that, I've seen London for £29, which actually seems fare

Seriously, stop it.

Phil D. Rolls
10-02-2011, 04:12 PM
Hmm...

Seriously, stop it.

OK then, we really need to get this back on track.

magpie1892
10-02-2011, 04:18 PM
OK then, we really need to get this back on track.

FFS.

I'm sticking to faith-bating on the Powell thread...

CropleyWasGod
10-02-2011, 04:20 PM
FFS.

I'm sticking to faith-bating on the Powell thread...

.. and some might say you're a master at that. :greengrin

magpie1892
10-02-2011, 04:24 PM
.. and some might say you're a master at that. :greengrin

Too kind, too kind...

Hermit Crab
18-02-2011, 09:24 PM
Just get a job in the railway then get the train for hew haw :greengrin

RyeSloan
21-02-2011, 01:11 PM
A few maglev lines would soon sort out the travel times...they also need no driver so that would put the RMT out of the loop...they are also near impossible to de-rail making them much much safer for user and people near the lines...they are also green with no direct emissions....OK they cost a bit to build but considering the massive cost of the west coast 'upgrade' maybe not quite as much reltively as might be thought (also maintenance is substantially reduced).

And no I don't work making or promoting maglev trains :greengrin

givescotlandfreedom
21-02-2011, 10:07 PM
A few maglev lines would soon sort out the travel times...they also need no driver so that would put the RMT out of the loop...they are also near impossible to de-rail making them much much safer for user and people near the lines...they are also green with no direct emissions....OK they cost a bit to build but considering the massive cost of the west coast 'upgrade' maybe not quite as much reltively as might be thought (also maintenance is substantially reduced).

And no I don't work making or promoting maglev trains :greengrin

The RMT isn't union of many drivers, ASLEF is. I don't get the dislike of the RMT (not aimed at yourself) seeing as they're a union which actually tries to do its job rather than snuggle up to management like most of the paper tigers nowadays. Also there have been derailments in the past and if there were you might not be so chuffed at there being no staff on the train. Looking at the the major crash at the test site in Germany where a vehicle was left on the track (killing 23) if this took place on our railway it may not have been so bad had there been a driver to slam the brakes on and the possibility of a driver/guard travelling the other way seeing the obstruction and informing the signalman.
Another big risk would be something like a fire or perceived fire on the train - passengers are panicking headless chickens when they fear the train is on fire as seen in Scotland just a few weeks ago where passengers were trying to smah windows and detrain on the "track" side of the train with running trains going by. Get rid of your trained staff to take leadership and action safely and you've got a recipe for disaster.

Steve-O
22-02-2011, 07:24 AM
I got Edinburgh - Kings Cross return tickets in December for about 40 quid return on Eastcoast.co.uk - was pure luck though because 2 days before I got that price the best I could see was 105!

As has been stated, check everyday and you might get lucky.

Iain G
22-02-2011, 08:23 AM
My top tip: Note the return price on trainline then go and look at singles each way, have had some bargains this way over the years, even had 2 singles in 1st class for much the same as a return cattle class ticket :greengrin

khib70
22-02-2011, 08:48 AM

No anyone can join in. :greengrin
.....I had that Magpie in the back of the cab once.........

RyeSloan
22-02-2011, 09:23 AM
The RMT isn't union of many drivers, ASLEF is. I don't get the dislike of the RMT (not aimed at yourself) seeing as they're a union which actually tries to do its job rather than snuggle up to management like most of the paper tigers nowadays. Also there have been derailments in the past and if there were you might not be so chuffed at there being no staff on the train. Looking at the the major crash at the test site in Germany where a vehicle was left on the track (killing 23) if this took place on our railway it may not have been so bad had there been a driver to slam the brakes on and the possibility of a driver/guard travelling the other way seeing the obstruction and informing the signalman.
Another big risk would be something like a fire or perceived fire on the train - passengers are panicking headless chickens when they fear the train is on fire as seen in Scotland just a few weeks ago where passengers were trying to smah windows and detrain on the "track" side of the train with running trains going by. Get rid of your trained staff to take leadership and action safely and you've got a recipe for disaster.

The maglev crash was a result of human error and was really down to the fact it was a test track...it woudl be almost impossible for that to happen on an operational track as the manual overides used that caused the crash wouldn't be available...it's also true that maglev's do not leave the track when they crash and this only example of a maglev crash that I know of proved that perfectly. Considering a lot of train fatalities are caused by derailment (see the ICE train hitting a bridge) then htis is a massive step forward in safety.

As for Bob Crow and the RMT. They sum up everything that is wrong with unions I would say....but then I don't think that would have surprised many on here to hear me say that :wink:

givescotlandfreedom
22-02-2011, 10:28 AM
The maglev crash was a result of human error and was really down to the fact it was a test track...it woudl be almost impossible for that to happen on an operational track as the manual overides used that caused the crash wouldn't be available...it's also true that maglev's do not leave the track when they crash and this only example of a maglev crash that I know of proved that perfectly. Considering a lot of train fatalities are caused by derailment (see the ICE train hitting a bridge) then htis is a massive step forward in safety.

As for Bob Crow and the RMT. They sum up everything that is wrong with unions I would say....but then I don't think that would have surprised many on here to hear me say that :wink:

I'm not particularly against the use of Maglev technology more the idea of taking staff (90%+ of whom are ASLEF and RMT members. I don't really get your beef with the RMT the unions do a hell of a lot of work in making the unions a safe place for staff and passengers and also constantly try to take the train operating companies to task for the high rail fares and complicated fare structure people on here and in general care about. That's not about the staff that's about the passengers. Regardless, I'm an RMT member and don't think the union's perfect by any means but I'm at least glad it fights my corner despite being up against big companies some of whom attempt to manipulate the law to prevent its them using the fundamental democratic principle to take industrial action.
You refered too to accidents - it's guys like Bob Crow demanding enquiries, improvements and staff to give everyone a much safer railway when some of the big boys would prefer them to be swept under the carpet.

givescotlandfreedom
22-02-2011, 10:44 AM
My top tip: Note the return price on trainline then go and look at singles each way, have had some bargains this way over the years, even had 2 singles in 1st class for much the same as a return cattle class ticket :greengrin

It can also be cheaper to split your ticket up between stations:
example Anytime single from
Edinburgh -> Newcastle is £44.50 whereas Edinburgh -> Berwick and Berwick -> Newcastle is £41.20.
Edinburgh -> Inverness costs £42.60 but if you buy Edinburgh -> Perth and Perth -> Inverness it's £36.50.
There are loads of examples of these and providing your trains stops where you split your tickets up you're entitled to do this. You can save more also if you buy returns. There's a website outlining these here http://splityourticket.co.uk/

RyeSloan
22-02-2011, 12:14 PM
I'm not particularly against the use of Maglev technology more the idea of taking staff (90%+ of whom are ASLEF and RMT members. I don't really get your beef with the RMT the unions do a hell of a lot of work in making the unions a safe place for staff and passengers and also constantly try to take the train operating companies to task for the high rail fares and complicated fare structure people on here and in general care about. That's not about the staff that's about the passengers. Regardless, I'm an RMT member and don't think the union's perfect by any means but I'm at least glad it fights my corner despite being up against big companies some of whom attempt to manipulate the law to prevent its them using the fundamental democratic principle to take industrial action.
You refered too to accidents - it's guys like Bob Crow demanding enquiries, improvements and staff to give everyone a much safer railway when some of the big boys would prefer them to be swept under the carpet.

Bob Crow is an old fashioned militant...the kind that nearly ruined the UK in the 70's.

His constant attacks on any government and any rail company seem to me frequently just for the sake of it. Sure he might on occaison have some common cause with saftey campaigners but his completely over the top use fo strikes and walkouts make him the worst type of union man in my eyes.

Add in the fact that I don't see what business is it of his to issue rallying cries for nationwide industrial action and walkouts, to talk about fighting the government and their so called 'fiscal fascism' then you can see why I don't like the guy....all of which is slightly beyond his duties as a boss of a rail union I would have thought.

Oh and like a lot of these 'for the workers' union bosses he has a salary around 100k iirc....

speedy_gonzales
23-02-2011, 09:18 PM
Oh and like a lot of these 'for the workers' union bosses he has a salary around 100k iirc....
Careful, brother Bob recently won a case against a newspaper that made scurrilous allegations against him. It was a politically motivated attack on him and the union. He was awarded damages which he donated to the Cuba garden party fund(if I recall correctly). One of the allegations was about how he swans about in a chauffeur driven car, laughable considering he gets the train/tube everywhere, and trust me, he does!
As for the militant image that people seem to propagate, the union recently carried out a series of ballots for industrial action for the infrastructure workers regarding changes to their terms and conditions(resulting in most of them losing £1000's, some a lot more!), the mood of the workers were they wanted to strike, protect their pay, but the union and council convinced those that needed to be convinced that harmonisation of contracts was indeed required.
Not the action of a 'strike for any occasion' union?