PDA

View Full Version : What Bowls, What Position?

Scouse Hibee
09-02-2011, 01:49 PM
For the bowlers on here

1. What bowls do you currently use.
2. Have you tried various makes/sizes and if so why have you chosen the make you use now?
3.Does the position you play in the rink determine what bowls you bought or why you may have changed?
4. Did you borrow and try a few similar sets before making a decision?

tanfield
09-02-2011, 01:58 PM
Hi

1. Use henselite classic's size 5 with the line grips
2. Didn't try any other sets of bowls to be honest. Saw players using the henslite on the TV when I first started and just went and a got a set of them. There wasn't the choice there is these days. I'm now on my second set of them and just really like they way they fit my hand and I know roughly what they are going to do
3. No to be honest. Play with the same bowls regardless of whether I'm going to play front or back end
4. That would be a no

I'm kind of superstitious when it comes to bowls and prefer to stick with what has served me pretty well although I would use taylor ace's for any indoor game now. If I did change types of bowls and got beat or didn't play well I would probably revert back to my old ones.

Hope this helps

Scouse Hibee
09-02-2011, 02:36 PM
Hi

1. Use henselite classic's size 5 with the line grips
2. Didn't try any other sets of bowls to be honest. Saw players using the henslite on the TV when I first started and just went and a got a set of them. There wasn't the choice there is these days. I'm now on my second set of them and just really like they way they fit my hand and I know roughly what they are going to do
3. No to be honest. Play with the same bowls regardless of whether I'm going to play front or back end
4. That would be a no

I'm kind of superstitious when it comes to bowls and prefer to stick with what has served me pretty well although I would use taylor ace's for any indoor game now. If I did change types of bowls and got beat or didn't play well I would probably revert back to my old ones.

Hope this helps

Cheers :greengrin

I'm struggling with what to go for if I'm honest, played crown green since a kid and only got back into the bowls up here about four years ago when I bought Size 5 Heavy Aces and have used them since.

I've never really been that happy with them and although according to the chart and my own grip test they should be the right size they're not. Tried a size 3 last season a couple of times and think they are much better suited and certainly closer to to the size of my old crown green bowls. It's a pity I can't just use two sets of them!! So I think I'm sorted in the size and weight choice but can''t decide on which actual bowl to go for. :confused:

Started out with Lignum Vitae woods in crown green before moving to Drakes Pride and then on to Taylors when one of the Drakes Pride bowls split. So never even give Hensellite a thought if I'm honest.

tanfield
09-02-2011, 02:51 PM
Too many choices to go for these days which doesn't help.

Crown green is fun! I'm going down to leeds in a few months to have another game. Aim to try and get more than 14 this time!

MSK
09-02-2011, 03:41 PM
For the bowlers on here

2. Have you tried various makes/sizes and if so why have you chosen the make you use now?
3.Does the position you play in the rink determine what bowls you bought or why you may have changed?
4. Did you borrow and try a few similar sets before making a decision?1/I have two sets of bowls that I use ..first set are size 5 heavy Taylor Lignoid dimple gripped, a slightly tighter lined bowl..second set are Henselite size 5 "heavy".. lined grip, can give this bowl a bit more grass to work with

2/ When I first started I used a brilliant Lignoid size 7 1/2 ..big bombers with a brilliant swing on both hands & very difficult to shift out of a head..they were ungripped which meant I struggled when wet or damp so I put them into hibernation.

3/ Position doesnt matter when I am playing but I normally select the Lignoid's as I seem to do a bit better with them.

4/ Used 5 heavy in bounce/friendly games & found them the perfect size for me, dont think I will change anytime soon.

sg7nil
09-02-2011, 03:42 PM
Too many choices to go for these days which doesn't help.

Crown green is fun! I'm going down to leeds in a few months to have another game. Aim to try and get more than 14 this time!

Aye, 14 shots, not bad.. was that the total from all the games you played?

(Better keep my mouth shut, as I might be going with you this year and could get a real showing up!)

BTW I use Hensellite Classic II's Size 4 heavy with thumb grips.

I had a set of woods when I started (still got them but two have large cracks in them now cos they don't like being put in warm central heated houses ove the winter!) After I stopped using them I got Hensellite Classics, size 5, Medium, and I liked them, but sometimes if our green was flying they took just too much grass and became a handicap when playing against opponents with straighter sets. So I ended up biting the bullet a few years ago and got the Classic IIs. On heavy greens the line isn't so different from the old Classics, but when it gets faster there is a marked difference.

Since1875
09-02-2011, 04:49 PM
For the bowlers on here

1. Taylor International - 4 Heavy.
2. Just got one set and stuck with them and got used to them.
3. I play back end and they get round most things. If not wind it up shut your eyes throw it as hard as you can and hope for the best. :greengrin
4. No just bought a set and stuck with them.

Speedy
09-02-2011, 05:31 PM
For the bowlers on here

1 . Taylor spectrum - size 4 heavy
2. I previously played with lignoids(size 2) then aces(size 4). I considered Aces and Spectrums when I got these and found them to be about the same. Can't remember why I got Spectrums.
3. No, they're not really swingy or really tight. I play a variety of positions across the year anyway.
4. Kind of. Not a great deal though.