PDA

View Full Version : Derek Adams story in the tic quick news (Adams winning appeals against ban)

The Gorf
09-02-2011, 12:23 PM
Colleague at work pointed this out

It is some considerable time since I posted on this forum, but alas due to work commitments, regular catching up and comment has been impossible. My congratulations to Neil Lennon for finding a remarkable team spirit and belief in his team over the last few weeks and for at times showing tactically just how far he has come as a manager in the course of just one short year in charge of a major club. Such progress is remarkable and there is a change of atmosphere amongst support and players which is tangeable.
Despite this, yesterdays press was all about the words, actions and behavior of Lennon in the face of comments from that sage of wisdom and decorum known as El Hadji Diouf. I don’t blame the Rangers player for this– more the press for their attempt at trying to set one “bad boy” against another.
Yet you would think that at least today, the press would have something else to write about? Sadly it seems that is not so. In fact I could suggest a real good story for them which would focus on the REALLY REALLY bad boy of Scottish Football! A story that really gives the fine journalists of this yoke the chance to go and ask some searching questions about the status of our game.
Search the press this morning for the name– Derek Adams, the assistant manager at Hibs and former manager/coach/ player/ bank robber/ serial killer and general all round bad guy at Ross County? Eh within the news now links I can find not a mention– not a word!!!
Now you may ask why I might want to search for Young Adams at all? Well the answer is simple– I believe that yesterday– or last night to be precise– he set a new world record in football!!!
Let me explain: By August of last year the SFA, acting on statements and reports from it’s magnificent officials, sentenced Derek Adams to an 8 match touchline ban!! Yes 8 matches– imagine the headlines if that was the man with one name or our own manager.
By November, following a series of appeals and further match reports, that 8 match ban had been extended to 18 matches! Imagine that 18 matches– half a season!! Surely a world record? No? What is worse is that part of that extended ban was handed down by a disciplinary committee who decided to charge, try and sentence Derek Adams in his absence without him even knowing he had been charged, without him having the chance to defend himself by saying one word in his defence.
Now Ross County are not a rich club, nor a big club, and they don’t perhaps have the resources to challenge such a situation head on. Hibernian are an altogether different kettle of fish. They do have a Lawyer on their board of Directors and she is therefore entitled to sit in at these hearings from the very start!
Accordingly, when Adams moved to Hibs they took up the matter. What’s more, the Edinburgh Club were able to see for themselves the very curious behavior shown by some of Scotland’s leading match officials towards Derek Adams– behavior which was to be frank completely inexplicable! So inexplicable that when asked to formally explain why Derek Adams was sent from the dugout yet again, the officials themselves could not actually explain it– at all!!!!
Last night, an independent SFA appeals committee, chaired by a legally qualified Chairman, unanimously upheld the latest Adams appeal. This is the second such decision in less than a month, and I understand that one set of bans were not even contested at appeal because– in fact the appeal did not even take place– the reports justifying the original ban were so pathetically poor that the SFA just gave in before the matter went any further!
Had these appeals not been successful, then the Scottish Football Association were set to ban Derek Adams for something like 26 games— in footballing terms a decision that is not dissimilar to the enforced absence imposed on Eric Cantona by other means!!
You would think that the press would be able to tell us what crime Derek Adams had committed to deserve such wrath. Yet there is nothing in the press. In one instance he was accused of breaching a condition of being banned by approaching a referee at half time– which indeed he did– when he was asked to go and speak to the referee concerned by the said same referee- who then reported him for approaching a referee whilst banned!! and yes the SFA decided to ban him for that based on that report. Perhaps it is not news that a series of top class officials have all taken action against one man. Perhaps it is not a story that on each of these occasions the match officials report has not withstood independent scrutiny– in fact the reports just beggared belief apparently. Maybe it is only a story when such crass mismanagement involves an even bigger team than Hibs?
However, you might be well advised to watch this space. I believe that Hibs, having had all of the paperwork legally examined, are set to ask some pretty searching questions about the integrity, veracity and honesty of certain match and SFA officials– questions that to be frank may make “Dougie Dougie” appear like the seeker of truth and justice.
Disgracefully, the official SFA website, has no up to date posts on disciplinary matters– they are months old, which begs another question, as to why such successful appeals and the detailed reports, are not released for greater scrutiny and comment. This is especially so if the organisation wishes to be seen as open and transparent. Or is it the case that when it comes to certain matters such as internal scrutiny, the only post we can expect from the SFA Press officer or Director of Communication– is to be posted missing?
No doubt, the line will be that these reports were a series of unfortunate events or errors– but as someone older and wiser than me once pointed out, there comes a time when a regular series of unfortunate events which defy understanding and scrutiny starts to look suspiciously like a plan!

proud_and_green
09-02-2011, 12:33 PM
Could someboddy summarise this for me, please!!!!

Ritchie
09-02-2011, 12:36 PM
very interesting read.

I'm glad that hibs are taking the SFA on..... i'm even more glad that hibs are doing it professionally with a bit of class, unlike Celtic who very publicly tried to destroy the SFA.

Ritchie
09-02-2011, 12:37 PM

hibs have more class than celtic. :agree:

proud_and_green
09-02-2011, 12:49 PM
hibs have more class than celtic. :agree:

I'm obliged!!!

_hucks_
09-02-2011, 12:49 PM
In short - Derek Adams completely mistreated in disciplinary matters by the SFA, Hibs quietly challenging this and succeeding. Celtic, therefore, are completely correct in defending Neil Lennons bile against referee's publicly in the press. Talk about skewed conclusions.

Greenblood70
09-02-2011, 12:50 PM
very interesting read.

I'm glad that hibs are taking the SFA on..... i'm even more glad that hibs are doing it professionally with a bit of class, unlike Celtic who very publicly tried to destroy the SFA.

Exactly, I'd imagine Hibs as per how we go about things, are quite happy to avoid a tabloid feeding frenzy over this story. Much better to conclude the appeal with a positive outcome without the counter productive nonsense the likes of the Record would come up with.

Of course the other conclusion is that the sports press these days dont look further than the end of their noses for a story and are quite happy waiting for Diouf's next words of wisdom:rolleyes:

bighairyfaeleith
09-02-2011, 12:51 PM
so who posted this and where?

Interesting if all true and Hibs should take the SFA all the way on it. We should do it properly though and not harass refs in papaers so there kids get bullied at school. Thats just not hibs class:agree:

--------
09-02-2011, 01:08 PM
In short - Derek Adams completely mistreated in disciplinary matters by the SFA, Hibs quietly challenging this and succeeding. Celtic, therefore, are completely correct in defending Neil Lennons bile against referee's publicly in the press. Talk about skewed conclusions.

Well done, chum - I was still wading through the El Hadji Diouf bile. You've summed the nitwit up in a nutshell. I think I understand it now.

It appears that the problems DA's been having with our worthy match officials all date back to his time at Ross County. County according to Irate Soapie couldn't or didn't challenge his suspensions (not sure THAT's true), but Hibs, who have a lawyer, are doing so on his behalf now?

And Irate Soapie wants to know why there's nothing in the red-tops about Adams, Hibs, and referees when upstanding citizens like Lennon and Brown are making the headlines.

It apparently hasn't penetrated his bony headpiece that the reason Celtic, Lennon, and Brown are in the papers is because Celtic, Lennon, and Brown court the publicity, and not having a genuine case to argue in a proper tribunal through a lawyer, resort to vicious name-calling and scurrilous press releases to put pressure on the SFA and the referees to go easy on them.

Hibs, on the other hand, are going about the job in a professional and appropriate manner.

Irate Soapdodger is a man who should under no circumstances be allowed anywhere near a computer keyboard ever again. He's a moron.

Seveno
09-02-2011, 01:12 PM
Well done, chum - I was still wading through the El Hadji Diouf bile. You've summed the nitwit up in a nutshell. I think I understand it now.

It appears that the problems DA's been having with our worthy match officials all date back to his time at Ross County. County according to Irate Soapie couldn't or didn't challenge his suspensions (not sure THAT's true), but Hibs, who have a lawyer, are doing so on his behalf now?

And Irate Soapie wants to know why there's nothing in the red-tops about Adams, Hibs, and referees when upstanding citizens like Lennon and Brown are making the headlines.

It apparently hasn't penetrated his bony headpiece that the reason Celtic, Lennon, and Brown are in the papers is because Celtic, Lennon, and Brown court the publicity, and not having a genuine case to argue in a proper tribunal through a lawyer, resort to vicious name-calling and scurrilous press releases to put pressure on the SFA and the referees to go easy on them.

Hibs, on the other hand, are going about the job in a professional and appropriate manner.

Irate Soapdodger is a man who should under no circumstances be allowed anywhere near a computer keyboard ever again. He's a moron.

Not fair on Irate Soapdodger. He did help us to get the story. Okay he picked it out of a bin but he still found it.

The Gorf
09-02-2011, 01:24 PM
My apologies everyone. I should have summarised the thread.
It was a tic supporter at work who pointed it out in Celtic Quick News.

PatHead
09-02-2011, 01:26 PM
I agree Hibs have handled matter well but I can't help asking myself that if Celtic hadn't made such a fuss about the Broadfoot dive in the previous Old Firm game, would Naismith have been booked and no penalty given on Sunday or has Celtic's pressure benefitted them?

Maybe now and then Hibs should take the SFA to task or at least have highlighted the dramatic u turn in the press. Perhaps referees would then think twice before treating us the way they do. This could be done in a professional manner with no rattles being thrown out the pram.

Finally it is a disgrace that no press have had a go at the SFA about this matter and equally about how the smaller clubs (Ross County) have been treated.

--------
09-02-2011, 01:28 PM
Not fair on Irate Soapdodger. He did help us to get the story. Okay he picked it out of a bin but he still found it.

Aw, who wants to be fair on Soapdodgers, Irate or Otherwise? :devil:

He's still carrying chips on both shoulders and greetin about how unfair the world it to Soapdodgers United.

I'm sure Rod would have put this on the fishy site some time.

Ritchie
09-02-2011, 01:32 PM
I agree Hibs have handled matter well but I can't help asking myself that if Celtic hadn't made such a fuss about the Broadfoot dive in the previous Old Firm game, would Naismith have been booked and no penalty given on Sunday or has Celtic's pressure benefitted them?

Maybe now and then Hibs should take the SFA to task or at least have highlighted the dramatic u turn in the press. Perhaps referees would then think twice before treating us the way they do. This could be done in a professional manner with no rattles being thrown out the pram.

Finally it is a disgrace that no press have had a go at the SFA about this matter and equally about how the smaller clubs (Ross County) have been treated.

i think thats a bit unfair on the referee on sunday who by all accounts had a very good game.

Naismith got booked for a blatant dive and i'm sure it would have been the same outcome regardless of what happened in the past.

--------
09-02-2011, 01:50 PM
i think thats a bit unfair on the referee on sunday who by all accounts had a very good game.

Naismith got booked for a blatant dive and i'm sure it would have been the same outcome regardless of what happened in the past.

:agree: This IMO is why the way Celtic go on about referees in the press is so damaging. Lennon starts it, Reid backs him up, players give the papers quotes on the subject, Lennon has another rant which Reid endorses....

Result? EVERYTHING a referee does in any match involving Celtic comes under inordinate scrutiny and suspicion, and the Soapies' shoulder-chips get bigger and bigger and bigger as the press clippings accumulate.

Irate Soapie a case in point - the papers aren't all yelling about the Adams case because Hibs have approached the matter in a responsible manner. No Calderwood on TV screaming injustice, no Petrie following up alleging bias, but a properly constituted appeal lodged according to the SFA's own procedures. No news mileage in that.

The fact that Celtic and Lennon and Brown (and Diouf) are in the tabs is because they WANT to be in the tabs, and the tabs are only too willing tom print another load of guff about Soapie paranoia and Masonic referees.

It's their own stinking fault, but Irate Soapie's too thick to work it out. :rolleyes:

FWIW, I seem to recall Hibs saying they were appealing DA's the terms and duration of DA's suspensions at the time he came to us from County.

PS: And before anyone gets after me about bias, if it were Rangers' turn for the tabloids, it would be Harassment of the Huns and Referees Who Kick With The Left Foot.

brog
09-02-2011, 05:13 PM
OK, the guy's the usual paranoiac Celtc fan but he's done us a favour by highlighting this & he obviously has a decent knowledge of Scottish Football to be even researching it in the first place, no one on this Board had posted re this. As others say it's good that Hibs have had this nonsense sorted out but I do feel a statement on official site would be beneficial.

clerriehibs
09-02-2011, 05:20 PM

Dying embers of Celtc v. the SFA

ancient hibee
09-02-2011, 05:21 PM
I think the point is that DA has been accused of foul and abusive language when it is evidently known throughout football that he doesn't swear.So telling porkies.

--------
09-02-2011, 05:35 PM
I think the point is that DA has been accused of foul and abusive language when it is evidently known throughout football that he doesn't swear. So - telling porkies.

:agree: His family background is Free Kirk.

Our Celtic friend's point seems really to be that while the Dougie MacDonald affair - DD found saying that which was not so in defence of his changing a crucial decision at Tannadice involving Celtic - here we have another series of incidents in which it would appear our worthy match officials have been caught over and over being extremely economical with the truth, and no reports are appearing in the press.

I can now see his point.

It would have helped if he had actually spelled all this out himself.

Kaiser1962
09-02-2011, 05:41 PM

When I saw it first time I thought it was a penalty but, on watching the replay, it was obvious Naismith cheated so it was an excellent spot by the ref.

What is tragic is that following the Broadfoot incident previously that Naismith should then try exactly the same thing knowing the fallout that resulted from that game.

What is absolutely diabolical is that no-one has pointed the finger at Naismith for what he did and that it is accepted as "part and parcel" of the game.If his con had been successful then it would have been the ref whose career would have been more or less over and his family and children subject to wholesale abuse, like Collum's previously, but much worse I would imagine.

Says more about the "integrity" of footballers in general, and Naismith in particular, than it does that of the referee.

Golden Bear
09-02-2011, 05:48 PM
OK, the guy's the usual paranoiac Celtic fan but he's done us a favour by highlighting this & he obviously has a decent knowledge of Scottish Football to be even researching it in the first place, no one on this Board had posted re this. As others say it's good that Hibs have had this nonsense sorted out but I do feel a statement on official site would be beneficial.

:agree:

I find the whole SFA v Derek Adams saga to be absolutely intriguing. Unbelievable in fact! Surely there's got be something more to it than this?

:confused:

Golden Bear
09-02-2011, 05:53 PM
When I saw it first time I thought it was a penalty but, on watching the replay, it was obvious Naismith cheated so it was an excellent spot by the ref.

What is tragic is that following the Broadfoot incident previously that Naismith should then try exactly the same thing knowing the fallout that resulted from that game.

What is absolutely diabolical is that no-one has pointed the finger at Naismith for what he did and that it is accepted as "part and parcel" of the game.If his con had been successful then it would have been the ref whose career would have been more or less over and his family and children subject to wholesale abuse, like Collum's previously, but much worse I would imagine.

Says more about the "integrity" of footballers in general, and Naismith in particular, than it does that of the referee.

To be honest I'm still not entirely convinced that Naismith wasn't at it for the penalty that was awarded. I felt as though he was actively looking for the collision, "accidently" stood on the keepers face, then went down.

greenlex
09-02-2011, 06:54 PM
To be honest I'm still not entirely convinced that Naismith wasn't at it for the penalty that was awarded. I felt as though he was actively looking for the collision, "accidently" stood on the keepers face, then went down.

He played for the penalty. He changed his stride to make contact. Still a penalty. He should however serve a lengthy ban fir cheating in the other incident. 6 games minimum. This should be stamped out and pronto.

ginger_rice
09-02-2011, 07:50 PM
C

In one instance he was accused of breaching a condition of being banned by approaching a referee at half time– which indeed he did– when he was asked to go and speak to the referee concerned by the said same referee- who then reported him for approaching a referee whilst banned!! and yes the SFA decided to ban him for that based on that report.

:faf:Loved that bit, it's like something straight out of a BBC sit-com

PaulSmith
10-02-2011, 07:48 AM
http://sport.scotsman.com/hibernianfc/Derek-Adams-wins-appeal-over.6715099.jp

PaulSmith
10-02-2011, 01:42 PM
http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/20110210/derek-adams-_2262950_2289950

From the fishy site

The_Sauz
10-02-2011, 03:00 PM
He should have been booked for the "STUMBLE" he took at the start :agree:

--------
10-02-2011, 03:07 PM
http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/20110210/derek-adams-_2262950_2289950

From the fishy site

Now I would say that there's a tanker-load of worms behind all that.

Appeal successful, appeal upheld, further ban overturned? Fourth official Sean Clancy's been a VERY naughty boy...

:rolleyes:

PaulSmith
10-02-2011, 03:59 PM

Appeal successful, appeal upheld, further ban overturned? Fourth official Sean Clancy's been a VERY naughty boy...

It's Kevin

brog
10-02-2011, 05:55 PM

Absolutely!! It's more what's not being said here. Think this one may smoulder for a bit yet, Andy Coulson's not a lino I suppose? :wink:

Keith_M
11-02-2011, 12:07 PM

It's Kevin

:hmmm:

Kevin Clancy? Sounds a bit 'Celtc Minded' to me

Maybe there should be an investigation into the treatment of members of minority religions in this country...

... like the 'Wee Frees' :wink:

--------
11-02-2011, 12:20 PM
It's Kevin

OK - Kevin.

You wouldn't have any idea which football club HE has an affinity for, would you? :rolleyes:

:hmmm:

Kevin Clancy? Sounds a bit 'Celtc Minded' to me

Maybe there should be an investigation into the treatment of members of minority religions in this country...

... like the 'Wee Frees' :wink:

Careful now - the only persecuted religious minority in Scottish football are the Lennonites.

If I weren't an open-minded and fair-minded man, I MIGHT suspect that the SFA's honest and upstanding match-officials have taken a dislike to our Mr Adams and decided to stitch him up with a barrage of boilerplate complaints like 'foul and abusive language' etc.

Except that Mr Adams has the reputation of being one of a very small minoroty of coaches who DON'T use swearie-words when comminicating with their players.

Kevin Clancy? Widnae let him tarmac my drive.... :devil:

:tin hat:

:whistle:

:offski:

Green_one
11-02-2011, 12:38 PM
Good on Hibs for taking on these muppets.

I would never underestimate a Celic fans persecution complex but he does have a point when he questions the whole disciplinary set up through in Glasgow. Its a sick joke and if you stand up against it they are men of straw. Celtic have learnt that and now so have we. Vlad probably has a good idea of their ineffectiveness too.

I really doubt their ability to do anything right for Scottish football. Hence the league proposals.

Kojock
11-02-2011, 01:34 PM
Maybe it is only a story when such crass mismanagement involves an even bigger team than Hibs?

It was reading okay until the bit above. There are NO bigger teams than Hibs. :agree:

Part/Time Supporter
11-02-2011, 02:28 PM
It was reading okay until the bit above. There are NO bigger teams than Hibs. :agree:

It is true to say though there has been a puzzling lack of coverage of this unusual case in the press. The only report I have seen before or since was in Wednesday's edition of the Scotsman, which Hibs then felt the need to issue a correction (which is also unusual).

All very odd and does provide some justification for Celtic's concern about governance. Part of the reason I suspect their whining has got somewhere this season is because other clubs agree with some of their points. It's not hard to imagine Hibs, Hearts, Dundee United or possibly even Rangers agreeing with criticism of the SFA. I still wouldn't trust them to implement anything better, though.

ancient hibee
11-02-2011, 03:11 PM
Good on Hibs for taking on these muppets.

I would never underestimate a Celic fans persecution complex but he does have a point when he questions the whole disciplinary set up through in Glasgow. Its a sick joke and if you stand up against it they are men of straw. Celtic have learnt that and now so have we. Vlad probably has a good idea of their ineffectiveness too.

I really doubt their ability to do anything right for Scottish football. Hence the league proposals.

What's the SFA disciplinary process got to do with the SPL league proposals?