PDA

View Full Version : New Lansdowne Road / Aviva Stadium

Gala Foxes
08-02-2011, 08:27 PM
3 sides look great - behind the Wales goal looks a bit mickey mouse though, take it they ran out of space

bod
08-02-2011, 08:30 PM
i do believe the railways behind that end

steviecarnie
08-02-2011, 08:31 PM
3 sides look great - behind the Wales goal looks a bit mickey mouse though, take it they ran out of space

houses right behind

pogo
08-02-2011, 08:36 PM
houses right behind

That's exactly why. They were only allowed to build it up this height, with the glass walls.
Does look a bit odd, but it is pretty nice inside.

essexhibee
08-02-2011, 08:54 PM
Think it looks a bit radge tbh. Don't understand to move Irish rugby to the Aviva when they were selling out croke park and still had demand. Ground had much the better atmosphere.

Ernie Cobra
08-02-2011, 09:13 PM

planning!!

the stadium is fantastic, have been to every game played there so far, but gave it a body swerve tonight.......tomorrow is a different story though:thumbsup:

Keith_M
08-02-2011, 09:22 PM
I think it looks a bit naff, actually. Just my opinion, but Murrayfield still looks better.

I'm quite sure loads of people will disagree with me on that, though.

frazeHFC
08-02-2011, 09:42 PM
I think it looks a bit naff, actually. Just my opinion, but Murrayfield still looks better.

I'm quite sure loads of people will disagree with me on that, though.

I agree, looks smart on 3 sides but the small bit totally ruins the ground for me. Murrayfield is much better imo.

libernian
08-02-2011, 10:05 PM
i think it looks pretty good.

better than hampden anyway.

Dalianwanda
08-02-2011, 10:09 PM
Well the 3 sides defo give it a bit a character..Looks cool when lit up at night..Dunno how the houses beside it cope with that..

Baader
08-02-2011, 11:00 PM
Looks great. Especially given it's all green!

Love the light inside.

Leithenhibby
08-02-2011, 11:19 PM
This will give you a better idea of the finished ground and see the problems they had with the lack of space ... :wink:

http://www.youtube.com/user/AvivaStadium

Sir David Gray
08-02-2011, 11:22 PM
I think the one small side makes the stadium look really daft.

I agree with whoever it was that said it's miles better than Hampden, though.

Pretty Boy
08-02-2011, 11:37 PM
It looks ok as a stadium but i can't help thinking that a 50 000 capacity seems a bit small considering Croke Park with an 80 000+ capacity was being easily sold out for rugby matches.

It also looks a bit soulless like a lot of modern stadiums. Give me Croke Park with the preserved Hill 16 over the Aviva any day of the week.

H18sry
09-02-2011, 05:25 AM
http://www.avivastadium.ie/

Don't know if the website's meant to be stereotypical Irish but :wtf:

.Sean.
09-02-2011, 08:22 AM
I quite like it, very smart. The wee stand is excellent, the glass really adds a touch of class. As has been mentiond, a far superior arena to the below-par Hampden Park. Who actually likes Hampden?

JE89
09-02-2011, 08:36 AM
i think it looks pretty good.

better than hampden anyway.

I could make a better Hampden in my back garden. Seriously though its pish, should have built something along the lines of Murrayfield or Ibrox.

Calvin
09-02-2011, 08:39 AM
I'm sure I read somewhere once that Hampden cost the same as the Millennium Stadium.

Hampden is woeful, its only good aspect is that because it's only the one tier you get great expansive crowd shots.

frazeHFC
09-02-2011, 08:40 AM
Hampden atmospheres are good but would be much better in a ground like Ibrox.

Hibee_Dave
09-02-2011, 08:47 AM
Aviva Stadium?

Looks like a poor man's Easter Road.....:scarf::offski:

stevenhibs
09-02-2011, 08:50 AM
When Croke Park was first opened the organisers of the Gaelic games stipulated that no "foreign" sport was allowed to be played on it. They classed football and rugby as foreign. I believe it was only while LR was being redeveloped that they reluctantly agreed to let them use Croke Park.

lapsedhibee
09-02-2011, 08:58 AM
Well the 3 sides defo give it a bit a character..Looks cool when lit up at night..Dunno how the houses beside it cope with that..

:confused: Are curtains illegal in Irelandland then?

pogo
09-02-2011, 10:18 AM
When Croke Park was first opened the organisers of the Gaelic games stipulated that no "foreign" sport was allowed to be played on it. They classed football and rugby as foreign. I believe it was only while LR was being redeveloped that they reluctantly agreed to let them use Croke Park.

This was true at the start of the agreement, but once the GAA saw the money flooding in, mostly from the 6 Nations, their attitude changed significantly.
They would probably have been quite happy to continue on with the agreement, but it was down to the IRFU, and the FAI, and as they had spent so much on the Aviva, sold thousands of seats, and the naming rights, they couldn't exactly back out and say, 'sure we'll only have the smaller matches here!'
Pretty sure Croke Park now holds the attendance record for a rugby match.

Dalianwanda
09-02-2011, 11:11 AM
:confused: Are curtains illegal in Irelandland then?

Its pretty bright & they are pretty close...But yeah Im sure a quality set of drapes would help..

proud_and_green
09-02-2011, 12:58 PM
This was true at the start of the agreement, but once the GAA saw the money flooding in, mostly from the 6 Nations, their attitude changed significantly.
They would probably have been quite happy to continue on with the agreement, but it was down to the IRFU, and the FAI, and as they had spent so much on the Aviva, sold thousands of seats, and the naming rights, they couldn't exactly back out and say, 'sure we'll only have the smaller matches here!'
Pretty sure Croke Park now holds the attendance record for a rugby match.

Maybe in modern stadia, but i was at Murrayfield in 1975 for the Scotland Vs Wales match when there were 104,000 inside the ground (scotland won 12-10). That is still the largest crowd that has ever watched a rugby match. I am sure that's the game that Max Boyce used sing about "...and we all saw the game in the bar..."

--------
09-02-2011, 01:14 PM
This will give you a better idea of the finished ground and see the problems they had with the lack of space ... :wink:

http://www.youtube.com/user/AvivaStadium

Looks like it's melted and sagged all to the one end.

Come to think of it, it may be my mind, but to me it looks rather rude.... :rolleyes:

aberhibsfc
09-02-2011, 01:40 PM
I'm sure I read somewhere once that Hampden cost the same as the Millennium Stadium.

Hampden is woeful, its only good aspect is that because it's only the one tier you get great expansive crowd shots.

I preferred the old Hampden and it had better capacity for cup games and big internationals but it was tatty. The atmospehere at the Hibs v Dunfermline cup final was unbelievable.

Having said that, despite it's size etc, when the England games were on or the Belgium 2-2 WC qualifier when we went 2 up, the atmosphere was elecrtic. I think the atmosphere their has more to do with lack of attendance as the design.

I remember a couple of games at the infirm while Hampden was being rebuilt, Celtic park was amazing, Ibrox not so much.

LancashireHibby
09-02-2011, 02:16 PM
Maybe in modern stadia, but i was at Murrayfield in 1975 for the Scotland Vs Wales match when there were 104,000 inside the ground (scotland won 12-10). That is still the largest crowd that has ever watched a rugby match. I am sure that's the game that Max Boyce used sing about "...and we all saw the game in the bar..."

Not strictly true, as the Telstra Stadium in Sydney held 107,558 for the 1999 NRL Grand Final between Melbourne Storm and St. George Illawarra Dragons :wink:

BoltonHibee
09-02-2011, 02:23 PM
Not strictly true, as the Telstra Stadium in Sydney held 107,558 for the 1999 NRL Grand Final between Melbourne Storm and St. George Illawarra Dragons :wink:

He means Rugby of course and not Thugby you refer to:wink:

LancashireHibby
09-02-2011, 02:26 PM
He means Rugby of course and not Thugby you refer to:wink:

Never had you down as a rugger-bugger! :greengrin

Hibernia Na Eir
09-02-2011, 02:53 PM
its a 1000 times better than our slum of a national stdium in Weegieland :agree:

And Ireland, a country saddled with dire debts.:confused:

Dalianwanda
09-02-2011, 02:56 PM
its a 1000 times better than our slum of a national stdium in Weegieland :agree:

And Ireland, a country saddled with dire debts.:confused:

Maybe thats part of the problem, spending money we didnt have on things we didnt need

col02
09-02-2011, 03:45 PM
I personally find that stadium pretty humpty if being honest. It would appear that whoever designed it tried too hard to make it stand out as something different when in reality all football fans require is a good arena to watch the games in.

--------
09-02-2011, 05:22 PM
I personally find that stadium pretty humpty if being honest. It would appear that whoever designed it tried too hard to make it stand out as something different when in reality all football fans require is a good arena to watch the games in.

:agree:

X number of seats arranged around the pitch in such a way that every spectator has an unobstructed view of the whole pitch wherever he's sitting.

With reasonably easy access, decent toilets, and decent fast-food stands.

That thing looks like a metallised melting cow-pat.

Big-Si-1875
09-02-2011, 05:53 PM
Could they not re-develop hampden any more after the commonwealth games in 2014, ie i seem to remember they were able to get rid of the running track space by digging down, extending the roof and putting in more seats in at Man cities new ground after it was used when Manchester had the commonwealth games a few years ago. Thus leaving less of an expanded space behind the goals.

Think Hampden was a waste the only stand there completely re-built was the south (main). The other 3 sides were the old terracing, covered and with seats installed. Should have bulldozed it, overcame their 'scottish footballs home is glasgow' atitudes and just shared the then, new and modern Murrayfield.

.Sean.
09-02-2011, 06:06 PM
Could they not re-develop hampden any more after the commonwealth games in 2014, ie i seem to remember they were able to get rid of the running track space by digging down, extending the roof and putting in more seats in at Man cities new ground after it was used when Manchester had the commonwealth games a few years ago. Thus leaving less of an expanded space behind the goals.

Think Hampden was a waste the only stand there completely re-built was the south (main). The other 3 sides were the old terracing, covered and with seats installed. Should have bulldozed it, overcame their 'scottish footballs home is glasgow' atitudes and just shared the then, new and modern Murrayfield.
Is this true or is it an urban myth? Only reason I ask is Hampden cost circa 60 million to 'rebuild' so that means either an extremely costly roof or an extorshinately over-priced Main Stand.

--------
09-02-2011, 06:48 PM

I understand that they're going to have to remove some of the front rows of seating at Hampden to accommodate the running track for the Commonwealth Games.

The present South Stand's OK - the rest of our National Stadium's a mess.

Is this true or is it an urban myth? Only reason I ask is Hampden cost circa 60 million to 'rebuild' so that means either an extremely costly roof or an extorshinately over-priced Main Stand.

It's true. They took away the old North Stand, evened up the top of the terrace, sorted the concrete, and put seats on the concrete stepping. Then roofed it. As for the price, who knows where and in whose pockets all the money ended up?

Nakedmanoncrack
09-02-2011, 07:00 PM
Should have bulldozed it, overcame their 'scottish footballs e is glasgow' atitudes and just shared the then, new and modern Murrayfield.

Murrayfield may have been new and relatively modern at the time, but its not a great stadium, facilities generally poor and stands are actually a long way from the pitch especially on one side which has a running track. Clumsy join between old and newer stands looks awfull in my opinion. Murrayfield certainly doesn't compare favourably with anything built since.

.Sean.
09-02-2011, 07:51 PM
I understand that they're going to have to remove some of the front rows of seating at Hampden to accommodate the running track for the Commonwealth Games.

The present South Stand's OK - the rest of our National Stadium's a mess.

It's true. They took away the old North Stand, evened up the top of the terrace, sorted the concrete, and put seats on the concrete stepping. Then roofed it. As for the price, who knows where and in whose pockets all the money ended up?
Found these (http://www.hiddenglasgow.com/hampden/pages/hampden01.htm)pictures Doddie and I understand you fully. I'd always thought Hampden had been completely bulldozed and rebuilt from scratch, but clearly not. That'll be the reason the rebuild 'only' cost 60 million, peanuts compared to how much a brand-new 50, 60-odd thousand seater costs now.

LancashireHibby
09-02-2011, 10:05 PM

Let's hope they put them back then or a) the capacity will be reduced and b) the front row will be even further from the pitch than before!