PDA

View Full Version : Another Midfielder?

I'm_cabbaged
08-02-2011, 05:18 AM
According to this (http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/local/kilmarnock-and-hibernian-to-move-for-linfields-mulgrew-15076506.htmlhttp://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/local/kilmarnock-and-hibernian-to-move-for-linfields-mulgrew-15076506.html).

IanM
08-02-2011, 07:03 AM
i think once we get rid of the 'dead wood' midfielders at the club i'd be quite happyto bolster our midfield some more..

more important areas to concentrate on now i agree but having read several reports, he does sound pretty promising.

brydekirk
08-02-2011, 07:17 AM
i think once we get rid of the 'dead wood' midfielders at the club i'd be quite happyto bolster our midfield some more..

more important areas to concentrate on now i agree but having read several reports, he does sound pretty promising.
:agree:

RIP
08-02-2011, 07:21 AM
Lack of game time?

Sounds like he's currently playing for their reserves

Hibs class clearly !!

H18sry
08-02-2011, 07:27 AM
Lack of game time?

Hibs class clearly !!

Maybe he has been banished to the reserves because he is refusing to sign a new contract, ala mad vlad :wink:

EskbankHibby
08-02-2011, 07:40 AM
"the former Glentoran enforcer", seems CC may be looking to add further steel to that area. Fair do's if some of them can control and pass a ball as well.

Houchy
08-02-2011, 07:59 AM

De Graaf out already and this guy coming in sounds good to me. For the people who rate De Graaf and think there's a "footballing brain in there", Rankin or McBride (or both) out.:agree:

JimBHibees
08-02-2011, 08:08 AM
"the former Glentoran enforcer", seems CC may be looking to add further steel to that area. Fair do's if some of them can control and pass a ball as well.

The midfielders he has signed such as Palsson, Scott and Thornhill all have that mix of ability and physicality.

WindyMiller
08-02-2011, 08:09 AM
De Graaf's away, Rankin, McBride and Miller will go in the Summer, and Ian Murray is physically unable to reliably give a full season.

Another young one coming in to the mix will do no harm, and it doesn't mean that we're not looking to fill the other positions.

Houchy
08-02-2011, 08:21 AM
De Graaf's away, Rankin, McBride and Miller will go in the Summer, and Ian Murray is physically unable to reliably give a full season.

Another young one coming in to the mix will do no harm, and it doesn't mean that we're not looking to fill the other positions.

I'd offer Miller another year if he's willing to accept it and see how he is with a footballing midfield and the others that will provide more "dig". I just have a feeling on this one. To be fair, I was like that with AOB too so I have got a record of being waaaaayyyy off:greengrin

I just don't think a good player becomes a bad player overnight.:agree:

WindyMiller
08-02-2011, 08:25 AM
I'd offer Miller another year if he's willing to accept it and see how he is with a footballing midfield and the others that will provide more "dig". I just have a feeling on this one. To be fair, I was like that with AOB too so I have got a record of being waaaaayyyy off:greengrin

If he's still with us after the Summer it will be because no one has made him a better offer.

brog
08-02-2011, 08:38 AM
Lack of game time?

Hibs class clearly !!

Yep, just like that £5,000 signing from Institute, Ivan Sproule!! :wink:

truehibernian
08-02-2011, 08:43 AM
I am not so sure that Rankin will be away to be honest.

McBride and De Graaf for me would be the first away. Rankin, at least, gives energy and workrate. Decent to have in squad in my opinion and trains well, looks after himself and good around the dressing room.

Sadly I would also be losing Lewis Stevenson too. Not really progressed as he should have done, despite having a great attitude. Time to be ruthless sadly and get a more rounded midfielder in, in his place.

Liam Miller I would definitely be keeping. Once the balance is found and maintained, his best work will be in a more creative role. Great footballer, powder puff in the tackle. Hopefully the others will oblige in that department and allow him to do what he is best at.

NorthNorfolkHFC
08-02-2011, 08:50 AM

never knew he WAS a good player? evidence? (consistent only)

Houchy
08-02-2011, 09:04 AM
never knew he WAS a good player? evidence? (consistent only)

He was a very good player for Celtc, what's your point?:confused:

Aldo
08-02-2011, 09:15 AM
So far CC and DA have brought in guys that can both play a bit and have a bit of dig about them... I am happy with the players so far and will be happy with his continued judge of a player.

Still a long way to go though (think we know this anyway)

Keith_M
08-02-2011, 09:38 AM
If I was him, and had the choice between Edinburgh, Kilmarnock and Portland, I think I'd plump for the latter, just for the experience of living and working in the US.

JimBHibees
08-02-2011, 09:51 AM
If I was him, and had the choice between Edinburgh, Kilmarnock and Portland, I think I'd plump for the latter, just for the experience of living and working in the US.

Hear what you are saying however he is likely to want to move to England at some time or other and Scotland would give him that opportunity more than Oregon IMO. He can go to the MLS when he is ready to retire and wants to top up his pension fund. :greengrin

Pretty Boy
08-02-2011, 09:53 AM

Plus the Portland Timbers have the best mascot of any football team in the world. I went to see them play Bayern Munich in a pre season friendly a couple of years ago and 'Timber Joey' slicing up a log when Portland scored was the highlight of the match.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1cjtU0sayk

Only in America.

Speedway
08-02-2011, 10:22 AM
I am not so sure that Rankin will be away to be honest.

McBride and De Graaf for me would be the first away. Rankin, at least, gives energy and workrate. Decent to have in squad in my opinion and trains well, looks after himself and good around the dressing room.

Sadly I would also be losing Lewis Stevenson too. Not really progressed as he should have done, despite having a great attitude. Time to be ruthless sadly and get a more rounded midfielder in, in his place.

Liam Miller I would definitely be keeping. Once the balance is found and maintained, his best work will be in a more creative role. Great footballer, powder puff in the tackle. Hopefully the others will oblige in that department and allow him to do what he is best at.

So does an alsatian.

I am a safe comfortable distance from being a Lewis Stevenson fan but I'll take him over Rankin any day.

truehibernian
08-02-2011, 10:38 AM
So does an alsatian.

I am a safe comfortable distance from being a Lewis Stevenson fan but I'll take him over Rankin any day.

In an ideal world speedway I would have a new player in there, but I think CC will plump for Rankin if it comes down to a choice. He offers more than Lewis IMHO......for dress sense alone Lewis should be banished to the Ryman League :greengrin

Both good characters and I agree to an extent about Rankin. But he would be a good player to have as a squad player for a variety of reasons as I say. Again, it's about balance, and if CC has found some quality in Palsson, Scott and Thornhill, then it may again mean that the others relax a bit more into their football. The burden is being shared around now for the bite, tackles and grit......this may see the likes of Rankin become a more confident player rather than running around like a toddler stung by a jellyfish :greengrin

EskbankHibby
08-02-2011, 10:39 AM
The midfielders he has signed such as Palsson, Scott and Thornhill all have that mix of ability and physicality.

Agreed mate. Early days but have been impressed with the new signings thus far.

NorthNorfolkHFC
08-02-2011, 04:00 PM
He was a very good player for Celtc, what's your point?:confused:

season 2003/04-19 games started, 20 as sub. 4 goals, no assists?

hfc rd
08-02-2011, 10:04 PM
Looks a decent young player and I won't mind signing him however I would prefer it if we started making moves to sign defenders and strikers. Anyways this young lad looks a good prospect who could be worth £3M-£4M in a few years, so I would take him and Caldo has brought in 3 very good midfielders to the club so far.