PDA

View Full Version : Heerenveen player linked with Hibernian

Iceman
07-02-2011, 01:18 PM
Does Hibernian have a new fetish for Icelandic player all of a sudden?

Translated from Icelandic newspaper article today (I apologise for my english):

Outbound Sigurdsson has several options

17 yr old midfielder Ingolfur Sigurdsson could be on his way out of dutch club Heerenveen and his next stop could be England or Scotland.

Sigurdsson joined Heerenveen from KR Reykjavik last summer but a clause in the contract enables him a window to leave the club this summer.

Having been promised first team action Sigurdsson has been mainly playing for the reserves despite training only with the first team squad. He is very highly rated and the manager has promised to give Sigurdsson a chance in some games until the end of the season.
According to Fréttablašiš sources has Ajax been in touch with Sigurdsson but he prefers to try his luck in England or Scotland. Having snubbed Man Utd and Arsenal only last year, it seems Sigurdsson made the wrong choice moving to Holland but with improved chances in the coming months he might opt to stay.

Surprisingly scottish club Hibernian could be Sigurdsson next destination following an enquiry last month but Arsenal, Reading and West Brom are also interested.

Sylar
07-02-2011, 01:20 PM
Translated from Icelandic newspaper article today:
17 yr old midfielder Ingolfur Sigurdsson could be on his way out of dutch club Heerenveen and his next stop could be England or Scotland.
Sigurdsson joined Heerenveen from KR Reykjavik last summer but a clause in the contract enables him a window to leave the club this summer.
Having been promised first team action Sigurdsson has been mainly playing for the reserves despite training only with the first team squad. He is very highly rated and the manager has promised to give Sigurdsson a chance in some games until the end of the season.
According to Fréttablašiš sources has Ajax been in touch with Sigurdsson but he prefers to try his luck in England or Scotland. Having snubbed Man Utd and Arsenal only last year, it seems Sigurdsson made the wrong choice moving to Holland but with improved chances in the coming months he might opt to stay.
Surprisingly scottish club Hibernian might be Sigurdssons next destination following an enquiry last month but Arsenal, Reading and West Brown are also interested.

Firstly, which other Icelandic players do we currently have playing for us and secondly, if there are Premiership clubs like Arsenal, Reading and West Brom interested, and Man Utd were evidently interested also at some point, there's not a hope in hell he'll come to Easter Road.

Godsahibby
07-02-2011, 01:21 PM
Firstly, which other Icelandic players do we currently have playing for us and secondly, if there are Premiership clubs like Arsenal, Reading and West Brom interested, and Man Utd were evidently interested also at some point, there's not a hope in hell he'll come to Easter Road.

Palsson?

Lendo
07-02-2011, 01:22 PM
Here's the wiki page for him

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ing%C3%B3lfur_Sigur%C3%B0sson

doesn't say much to be honest.

If he turns out anything like the Iceland U21's I watched at ER then I'd take him in a heart beat.

bighairyfaeleith
07-02-2011, 01:22 PM
Sounds like a decent prospect, the guy from liverpool is icelandic is he not?

He might fancy coming to us as he knows he will get his chance at first team football, he won't at man utd or arsenal.

Hamish
07-02-2011, 01:23 PM

cough Palsson cough

Hibbyradge
Palsson.

down-the-slope

Palsson - and we landed him so why not

Sylar
07-02-2011, 01:24 PM
Is he?! Jesus, I thought he was Danish for some reason.

Where's that Homer Simpson smillie :greengrin

Hamish

Surprisingly scottish club Hibernian could be Sigurdsson next destination following an enquiry last month but Arsenal, Reading and West Brom are also interested.

Thanks Iceman, that's interesting.:thumbsup:

Iceman
Sigurdsson is a left winger:

Here in action for the Heerenveen reserves against Ajax last october.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvQOu7-sFLw

Hamish
07-02-2011, 01:26 PM

Looks far too good for us:greengrin

Sylar
07-02-2011, 01:28 PM

That's one hell of an impressive crowd for a reserve match!

Definitely destined for a much bigger club than us - he looks a very classy player with a nice touch and ability to beat players.

Iceman
07-02-2011, 01:29 PM
Footage of him playing for the Iceland u-16 as a 15 yr old against Norway in a friendly:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTLyG4skLE8&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90p1-Iv1JAs&feature=related

Hal Jordan
07-02-2011, 01:31 PM
Nice to see the Ólafur Gottskįlksson and Bjarni Lįrusson links bearing fruit then :wink::devil:

down-the-slope
07-02-2011, 01:33 PM
Thanks Iceman, that's interesting.:thumbsup::agree: :not worth

And no need for apologies for your English....you would make scholar level given the average use of it on here :greengrin

H18sry
07-02-2011, 01:40 PM

:doh:

mr mojo risin
07-02-2011, 01:43 PM
He looks to have pace and some skill, if he is willing to come to Hibs lets sign him. Maybe Palsson told CC about him?

Judas Iscariot
07-02-2011, 01:56 PM

:faf:

If you went along to ER once in a while you may have a better grasp of our players :cool2:

down-the-slope
07-02-2011, 01:56 PM
He looks to have pace and some skill, if he is willing to come to Hibs lets sign him. Maybe Palsson told CC about him?
Wouldn't think so if its being quoted we enquired last month :rolleyes:

Duffys13
07-02-2011, 02:05 PM

What a lovely post

Sylar
07-02-2011, 02:21 PM
:faf:

If you went along to ER once in a while you may have a better grasp of our players :cool2:

Why, do they all wear tags around their necks stating where they're from?

Sylar
07-02-2011, 02:22 PM
What a lovely post

:confused:

Am I wrong in thinking a player would opt for an English Premiership club ahead of an SPL club?

cam75
07-02-2011, 02:25 PM
Being linked with a club does not mean he will go,rember Naysmith went to London few years ago,still dont think he will end up at hibs.

Westie1875
07-02-2011, 02:32 PM
I suspect Palsson probably had other options when leaving Liverpool but chose Hibs as he knew he'd be given a chance in the first team, there is every possibility that this guy could do the same given the option.

Wilson
07-02-2011, 02:34 PM

Am I wrong in thinking a player would opt for an English Premiership club ahead of an SPL club?

Depends what the club is offering and what the player wants.

He could get paid well to be Ryan Giggs' boot boy's boot boy or he could come to hibs and get a game.

Either way it doesn't hurt to make him an offer.

heretoday
07-02-2011, 02:36 PM
There's some handy geysers in Iceland......:duck:

Sylar
07-02-2011, 02:37 PM
Depends what the club is offering and what the player wants.

He could get paid well to be Ryan Giggs' boot boy's boot boy or he could come to hibs and get a game.

Either way it doesn't hurt to make him an offer.

A fair point, but if provincial Premiership clubs or Championship clubs are making offers to players, there's a good chance of regular team football with much better pay.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained I suppose, but as with a lot of other transfer rumours we've heard since December, "wait and see" is probably the right approach.

JimBHibees
07-02-2011, 02:39 PM
Wouldn't think so if its being quoted we enquired last month :rolleyes:

Maybe Palsson has been lined up for a while and CC asked him about any other potential Icelandic players. Interesting we also appeared to have an ex Reading Icelandic forward on loan recently which obvioulsy didnt work out so looks like we have decent contacts in that area.

down-the-slope
07-02-2011, 03:01 PM
Maybe Palsson has been lined up for a while and CC asked him about any other potential Icelandic players. Interesting we also appeared to have an ex Reading Icelandic forward on loan recently which obvioulsy didnt work out so looks like we have decent contacts in that area.

Times are tough..maybe CC plans on regularly shopping at Iceland :rolleyes:

khib70
07-02-2011, 03:04 PM

Liverpool Hibs and Betty Boop will be chuffed about that:greengrin

JimBHibees
07-02-2011, 03:12 PM

Oh dear. :greengrin

Keith_M
07-02-2011, 03:28 PM

Oh dear. :greengrin

Aw come on, you knew somebody had to say it :greengrin

As long as we don't get Kerry Katona next.

RIP
07-02-2011, 04:10 PM
Last month was only last week and Victor was already a Hibs player

HibbyRod
07-02-2011, 04:19 PM

...........Well, I'll acknowledge it....... :applause:

greenlex
07-02-2011, 04:28 PM
...........Well, I'll acknowledge it....... :applause:

I was going to but thought better of it as Iceman just be looking at that post going WTF or whatever it is in Icelandic.

frazeHFC
07-02-2011, 04:29 PM

He looks way too good for us. Especially if English clubs want him i doubt we have a real chance, but here's hoping.

Thanks for this Iceman, what do you make of Palsson when you have seen him for Iceland, if you have?

Golden Bear
07-02-2011, 04:43 PM

Your English is a lot better than some of the regular posters on this site:wink: And of course it's certainly better than my Icelandic!

Sir David Gray
07-02-2011, 05:31 PM

I think you must be getting him mixed up with someone else, Jesus was from the Middle East. :agree:

Iceman
07-02-2011, 05:34 PM
He looks way too good for us. Especially if English clubs want him i doubt we have a real chance, but here's hoping.

Thanks for this Iceman, what do you make of Palsson when you have seen him for Iceland, if you have?

Palsson is a very promising player but he has been unable to cement a regular place for the U21s as Aron Gunnarsson of Coventry is preferred in that position in midfield. He has however filled in at centerback and right back and done very well.

erin go bragh
07-02-2011, 05:41 PM

he is leaving his present club because he wants first team football ,do you really think he will get that at any of the clubs listed apart from us .
cmon son, come to the hibees ,you no it makes sense :greengrin
ggtth

Golden Bear
07-02-2011, 05:55 PM
he is leaving his present club because he wants first team football ,do you really think he will get that at any of the clubs listed apart from us .
cmon son, come to the hibees ,you no it makes sense :greengrin
ggtth

Unfortunately I think money will also come into the equation but I agree Hibs would seem to be an ideal stepping stone for him at this stage of his career.

Assuming he's that good of course.

Speedway
07-02-2011, 06:55 PM

Apparently the ex Reading boy was the worst thing to come out of Iceland since Kerry Katona.

SkintHibby
07-02-2011, 07:10 PM
Iceland with the population equivalent of Aberdeen seems to be bringing through more quality players than Scotland.

Worrying times.

Woooops...going off topic!

Sylar
07-02-2011, 07:47 PM
I think you must be getting him mixed up with someone else, Jesus was from the Middle East. :agree:

I knew as soon as I typed that, that someone would pick it up but was too lazy to try and correct it :greengrin

Might have bloody guessed it would be you :na na:

Supraninja
07-02-2011, 07:54 PM
How do they raise so many talented youths when the ground is covered in ice though... unless that's the secret to it.

Houchy
07-02-2011, 08:33 PM
How do they raise so many talented youths when the ground is covered in ice though... unless that's the secret to it.

Iceland's ok, It's Greenland that's covered in ice:agree:

Springbank
07-02-2011, 08:45 PM
Maybe olly the goalie dropped his name...

Ernie Cobra
07-02-2011, 08:50 PM

naw iceland is covered in ice
greenland is aw just fields and meadows
finland the people are aw fish
ireland is just angry

and england well they're all tossers!

SMAXXA
07-02-2011, 08:56 PM

Who knows we might end up signing Kerry Cantona next :greengrin

Iceman
07-02-2011, 08:58 PM

The secret, well I am involved with football in the Icelandic lower leagues.

About 15 yrs ago a plan was put in place. During the winters aspiring footballers couldnt train properly so fully sized indoor football pitches began to rise, in little towns to the Reykjavik metropolitan area. The halls have revolutionised the game here and the number will soon reach 10 or more.

Another part of the plan was to build quality plastic pitches at every school in the country.

A special academy was founded where, where the top of the crop from all over the country where invited to train under the guidence of top Icelandic players, former and still playing, like Eidur Gudjohnsen, his father, and others.

More focus was put into skills and the techincal ability of players. Those who train youth teams all down to the U-12's require a special coaching licence.

The awards: Iceland have reached the U-17 european championship finals, U-19 and this summer the U-21 finals. The dream is the next step, the full international team.

However this has its cost as all the good players are leaving the country. One 18 yr old signed for Juventus in january and just today it was reported that 2 17 yr olds will sign for AC Milan this summer.

Iceman
07-02-2011, 09:02 PM
Maybe olly the goalie dropped his name...

Gottskalksson has been in the news lately over here:

http://translate.google.com/translate?js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&sl=is&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.dv.is%2Ffrettir%2F2011%2F1%2F5% 2Ffyrrum-landslidsmarkvordur-grunadur-um-likamsaras%2F

Hank Schrader
07-02-2011, 09:02 PM

About 15 yrs ago a plan was put in place. During the winters aspiring footballers couldnt train properly so fully sized indoor football pitches began to rise, in little towns to the Reykjavik metropolitan area. The halls have revolutionised the game here and the number will soon reach 10 or more.

Another part of the plan was to build quality plastic pitches at every school in the country.

A special academy was founded where, where the top of the crop from all over the country where invited to train under the guidence of top Icelandic players, former and still playing, like Eidur Gudjohnsen, his father, and others.

More focus was put into skills and the techincal ability of players. Those who train youth teams all down to the U-12's require a special coaching licence.

The awards: Iceland have reached the U-17 european championship finals, U-19 and this summer the U-21 finals. The dream is the next step, the full international team.

However this has its cost as all the good players are leaving the country. One 18 yr old signed for Juventus in january and just today it was reported that 2 17 yr olds will sign for AC Milan this summer.

Icelandic football has a bright future, if the current U21 team are anything to go by. They looked excellent against Scotland a few months ago.

Good luck for the future, I have a lot of time for Iceland being a Sigur Ros fan :greengrin

Oranje39
07-02-2011, 09:10 PM

After watching the U21's, I was impressed with the technical ability of the full team. I don't think I've ever seen a team be able to strike a ball as well they did that night.

Pedantic_Hibee
07-02-2011, 09:29 PM
After watching the U21's, I was impressed with the technical ability of the full team. I don't think I've ever seen a team be able to strike a ball as well they did that night.

That's why Calderwood shops at Iceland..........

Sir David Gray
07-02-2011, 09:46 PM
I knew as soon as I typed that, that someone would pick it up but was too lazy to try and correct it :greengrin

Might have bloody guessed it would be you :na na:

I would hate to disappoint you! :greengrin

frazeHFC
07-02-2011, 09:46 PM
Iceland have some great players. Gylfi Sigurdsson who scored the 2 screamers at Easter Road moved from Reading to Hoffenheim for £7m in the Summer. About 20 years old and a big star.

RoYO!
07-02-2011, 09:59 PM

Maybe old broke walter smith is planning on making a trip too?

That's why Huns go to Iceland :taxi

hfc rd
07-02-2011, 10:09 PM
Well if he was wanted by Arsenal & Manchester United. Then he must be a decent prospect for the future as not many players in the world get an offer of a trial at those clubs. Also if we do sign him then I would love it if he is very simillar to the other Sigurdsson at Hoffenheim. The lad that scored two stunners for the Iceland U21's against Scotland U21's at ER.

ScottB
07-02-2011, 10:13 PM

It's amazing why folk in this country seem to think producing better players is so difficult, your country is following similar strategies used by the Spanish and the French, it's more than apparent that they work and work well!

The problem? Nobody wants to expend a little bit of effort and expense in this country, and the players themselves would rather get drunk...

renato
07-02-2011, 10:33 PM

Interesting. If Scotland undertook the same commitment and investment in infrastructure and players, perhaps in 10-15 years we might see loads of our youngsters being poached by the biggest clubs in the world - would be a nice problem to have :agree:

Thanks for sharing and also was very impressed with your U21's, technically excellent.

Supraninja
07-02-2011, 11:34 PM

I was aware of this... and had planned to reply shortly after the inevitable 'no Greenland' but had to go out after I posted my comment, so now I probably just look Geographically ******ed.

snooky
08-02-2011, 12:15 AM

Oh oh, you're gonna get yourself in hot water with the pc brigade. :wink:

blackpoolhibs
08-02-2011, 11:25 AM
greenland is aw just fields and meadows
finland the people are aw fish
ireland is just angry

Thats me booked my tickets to the virgin isles.

Ernie Cobra
08-02-2011, 07:40 PM

very good bh:top marks

Pedantic_Hibee
08-02-2011, 07:42 PM
Am away tae Cockermouth :aok:

Springbank
08-02-2011, 07:58 PM
Is that why rob jones went to scunthorpe?

Gmack7
08-02-2011, 07:59 PM
Am away tae Cockermouth :aok:
while not wanting to appear pedantic:wink:caulkerbush is in the vicinity of caulkermouth i think:greengrin

Andy74
08-02-2011, 09:26 PM

90 % blokes. You'll have a great time.

IWasThere2016
08-02-2011, 09:59 PM
90 % blokes. You'll have a great time.

Heard you'd a great time Andy :wink: :greengrin

Iceman
09-02-2011, 09:46 AM
Interesting.

It has been confirmed on Heerenveens official site that Sigurdsson has left the club by mutual agreement. Icelandic media is now reporting that he could be on his way to his boyhood club Valur.

Will be interesting to see what happens, maybe he's on his way to Scotland:
http://translate.google.com/translate?js=n&prev=_t&hl=is&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=0&sl=is&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Ffotbolti.net%2FfullStory.php%3Facti on%3DviewStory%26id%3D103947

bingo70
09-02-2011, 10:34 AM
Interesting.

It has been confirmed on Heerenveens official site that Sigurdsson has left the club by mutual agreement. Icelandic media is now reporting that he could be on his way to his boyhood club Valur.

Will be interesting to see what happens, maybe he's on his way to Scotland:
http://translate.google.com/translate?js=n&prev=_t&hl=is&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=0&sl=is&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Ffotbolti.net%2FfullStory.php%3Facti on%3DviewStory%26id%3D103947

Strange for him to be released just over a week after the transfer window closed :confused:

Is the Icelandic transfer window still open because im guessing you play a summer league :dunno:

No Brittish team would be able to sign him until the summer so maybe he's joining the icelandic team on a short term deal till then?

Jones28
09-02-2011, 12:44 PM

His flick was godly...Zemmama esque :not worth

Hank Schrader
09-02-2011, 01:00 PM
His flick was godly...Zemmama esque :not worth

On the evidence of that video alone he looks like he has bags of potential. I would love to see a player like that at Hibs. Him and young Calum Booth would cause serious damage down the left hand side.

truehibernian
09-02-2011, 01:16 PM
On the evidence of that video alone he looks like he has bags of potential. I would love to see a player like that at Hibs. Him and young Calum Booth would cause serious damage down the left hand side.

Very true, but so would Booth and Ryan Flynn IMHO.

Looks a good prospect however on the clips available.

Sandy
09-02-2011, 01:18 PM
Strange for him to be released just over a week after the transfer window closed :confused:

Is the Icelandic transfer window still open because im guessing you play a summer league :dunno:

No Brittish team would be able to sign him until the summer so maybe he's joining the icelandic team on a short term deal till then?

Surely if he is a free agent then he could be signed out with the window ?, or am I yet again being thick ? :greengrin

Houchy
09-02-2011, 01:30 PM
greenland is aw just fields and meadowsfinland the people are aw fish
ireland is just angry

Naw it's no!!!:greengrin

It the other way about. I agree with the last 3 though.

Iceman can you settle this once and for all:agree:

bawheid
09-02-2011, 01:32 PM

We may not end up signing him, but if nothing else it shows you the type of player Calderwood is looking at, and the kind of links he has in the game.

I've been impressed by his scouting and signings so far.

basehibby
09-02-2011, 01:44 PM

Hmmm - reads like a bulleted list of what the SFA et al have been told they should be doing for roughly the last quarter century.

JimBHibees
09-02-2011, 04:58 PM
We may not end up signing him, but if nothing else it shows you the type of player Calderwood is looking at, and the kind of links he has in the game.

I've been impressed by his scouting and signings so far.

Agree it appears our manager has a good network in the game. I also wouldnt rule out the contacts of Derek Adams and also his dad who is seen as a bit of a guru in youth circles in Scotland.

JimBHibees
09-02-2011, 04:59 PM
Hmmm - reads like a bulleted list of what the SFA et al have been told they should be doing for roughly the last quarter century.

Completely, did John Collins not say at the time of redeveloping Hampden that the money woud be better spent by building a number of full size indoor pitches throughout the country.

Thecat23
09-02-2011, 09:58 PM
Anymore news on this lad? my yam mate say's... wait for it.......... They are also wanting him! Honestly if true they should start charging the yams a scouting fee.

bingo70
09-02-2011, 10:03 PM
Surely if he is a free agent then he could be signed out with the window ?, or am I yet again being thick ? :greengrin

He would have had to have become a free agent during our transfer window for him to be able to be signed by us now so if he's only just been released the only clubs that can sign him are clubs that have a different transfer window like the russian leagues or i'm guessing the scandanavians.

Thecat23
09-02-2011, 10:42 PM
He would have had to have become a free agent during our transfer window for him to be able to be signed by us now so if he's only just been released the only clubs that can sign him are clubs that have a different transfer window like the russian leagues or i'm guessing the scandanavians.

Isnt a free agent free to join a club outwith the window? i.e Webster? Hence why we have had a few playing in the bounce game last week. :confused:

GloryGlory
10-02-2011, 07:10 AM
Isnt a free agent free to join a club outwith the window? i.e Webster? Hence why we have had a few playing in the bounce game last week. :confused:

Yes - but he had to be already a free agent at the time the window closed. The window closed on 31 January. If a player was still registered with a club at that time, even although he became a free agent subsequently, he couldn't sign for Hibs until the window opens again. He could sign for a club where the window was still open.