PDA

View Full Version : Conway called into Scotland squad

mikey1875
07-02-2011, 01:13 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/scotland/9389222.stm

What a surprise! If in doubt you can always trust Harry Potter to pick a Dundee United player

JE89
07-02-2011, 01:21 PM
To be fair he looks a good player. Probably premiership bound when his contract expires. Though I agree, if he was in the green in white there would be no chance of a call up.

Sylar
07-02-2011, 01:22 PM
I think there's a lot of people on here who are so blinded by their club loyalties, they can't see past a sensible call up.

Let me guess, it should be Riordan, or maybe Fletcher?

Neither performing well enough to merit a call up just now. Conway has been playing well for the Arabs since coming back from injury and is a cracking young player.

A good add to the squad IMO.

mikey1875
07-02-2011, 01:29 PM
I think there's a lot of people on here who are so blinded by their club loyalties, they can't see past a sensible call up.

Neither performing well enough to merit a call up just now. Conway has been playing well for the Arabs since coming back from injury and is a cracking young player.

Untill Riordan scored on Wednesday I didnt think he desereved a place in the Hibs team.

If Conway was such a call up why was he not in the squad first time round

H18sry
07-02-2011, 01:33 PM

:agree:

Untill Riordan scored on Wednesday I didnt think he desereved a place in the Hibs team.

If Conway was such a call up why was he not in the squad first time round

Because the 3 players selected before him that have pulled out [Darren Fletcher (ankle/eye socket injuries); Graham Dorrans (ankle); Lee McCulloch (knee)] are better options than him,

Sylar
07-02-2011, 01:35 PM
:agree:

Because the 3 players selected before him that have pulled out [Darren Fletcher (ankle/eye socket injuries); Graham Dorrans (ankle); Lee McCulloch (knee)] are better options than him,

Holy cow, you feeling OK?! :greengrin

H18sry
07-02-2011, 01:36 PM
:confused:
Oh I forgot to disagree with you

Holy cow, you feeling OK?! :greengrin

Reaper
07-02-2011, 07:42 PM
In fairness he's a good player but also Potter's still a Twat

ancient hibee
07-02-2011, 08:07 PM

I have to confess your posts puzzle me as you seem to know so little about the Scottish football scene and Hibs in particular.Fletcher is unlikely to get a shout as he has already said he doesn't want to play for Scotland.Conway is a winger and a fair player though nowhere near International standard.It seems a strange replacement when the 3 players who have dropped out are all central midfielders.So like others on here I feel that the manager pulls in United players without justification and I believe Riordan is a far better player than Conway.

Endof lecture.

Duffys13
07-02-2011, 08:23 PM
I have to confess your posts puzzle me as you seem to know so little about the Scottish football scene and Hibs in particular.Fletcher is unlikely to get a shout as he has already said he doesn't want to play for Scotland.Conway is a winger and a fair player though nowhere near International standard.It seems a strange replacement when the 3 players who have dropped out are all central midfielders.So like others on here I feel that the manager pulls in United players without justification and I believeRiordan is a far better player than Conway.

Endof lecture.

I can see why Potter would take Conway into the squad instead of Riordan though, offers more options for an international match than Deeks would, for example pace.

Sylar
07-02-2011, 08:33 PM
I have to confess your posts puzzle me as you seem to know so little about the Scottish football scene and Hibs in particular.Fletcher is unlikely to get a shout as he has already said he doesn't want to play for Scotland.Conway is a winger and a fair player though nowhere near International standard.It seems a strange replacement when the 3 players who have dropped out are all central midfielders.So like others on here I feel that the manager pulls in United players without justification and I believe Riordan is a far better player than Conway.

Endof lecture.

So because you disagree about the quality of Conway, I'm "clueless" about Scottish Football - very good.

The three dropouts are definitely NOT all central midfielders - Dorrans is a left sided midfielder who can also play up front.

Out of interest, how much of Conway have you actually seen, other than against Hibs? He's a class player who is definitely an addition to the squad. We don't have a wide array of superstars, but Conway is certainly more than good enoughh to represent Scotland.

Riordan might be a better player "on his game", but he's been utter dross for the majority of the season, along with the rest of our squad. Fletcher is also off form just now, and has only scored 4 (?) goals this season. I'm aware he doesn't want a selection for this game, but people will cite him as deserving of a place on the basis that a) he used to play for Hibs and b) "he's the most expensive Scottish striker in our history". He's a class player, no doubt, but if a player's not on form, then surely they don't merit a pick?

Conway is the only Dundee United player in the squad, so I don't understand your grievance. Conway is a good player, and the only other 3 I can think of whom are regularly selected are Kenneth, Dillon and Goodwillie. Other than Kenneth, the 3 players are more than good enough for at least a squad position.

End of rebuttal.

frazeHFC
07-02-2011, 08:35 PM
No surprise that it's a Dundee United player......i was annoyed when i saw Conway has been called up before Snodgrass. But then realised he is also in the squad.

In general though, i really hate Levein!

hibbysam
07-02-2011, 08:54 PM
So because you disagree about the quality of Conway, I'm "clueless" about Scottish Football - very good.

The three dropouts are definitely NOT all central midfielders - Dorrans is a left sided midfielder who can also play up front.

Out of interest, how much of Conway have you actually seen, other than against Hibs? He's a class player who is definitely an addition to the squad. We don't have a wide array of superstars, but Conway is certainly more than good enoughh to represent Scotland.

Riordan might be a better player "on his game", but he's been utter dross for the majority of the season, along with the rest of our squad. Fletcher is also off form just now, and has only scored 4 (?) goals this season. I'm aware he doesn't want a selection for this game, but people will cite him as deserving of a place on the basis that a) he used to play for Hibs and b) "he's the most expensive Scottish striker in our history". He's a class player, no doubt, but if a player's not on form, then surely they don't merit a pick?

Conway is the only Dundee United player in the squad, so I don't understand your grievance. Conway is a good player, and the only other 3 I can think of whom are regularly selected are Kenneth, Dillon and Goodwillie. Other than Kenneth, the 3 players are more than good enough for at least a squad position.

End of rebuttal.

Just a wee question how have you managed to see so much of Dundee United to make an opinion on Conway?:confused:

Goodwillie could not get a game for the 21's last year and is nowhere near as good a player as say Jamie Murphy from Motherwell...

And as for Steven Fletcher being off form.. Kevin Doyle is your answer to that... 4 goals in 8 Premier league starts is a decent ratio if you ask me?:agree:

Still by far the best centre forward we have in this country whether he played for Hibs or not..

Potter is a clueless specky jambo twat that shouldn't be anywhere near international management!:wink:

Sylar
07-02-2011, 09:13 PM
Just a wee question how have you managed to see so much of Dundee United to make an opinion on Conway?:confused:

Goodwillie could not get a game for the 21's last year and is nowhere near as good a player as say Jamie Murphy from Motherwell...

And as for Steven Fletcher being off form.. Kevin Doyle is your answer to that... 4 goals in 8 Premier league starts is a decent ratio if you ask me?:agree:

Still by far the best centre forward we have in this country whether he played for Hibs or not..

Potter is a clueless specky jambo twat that shouldn't be anywhere near international management!:wink:

A combination of TV games and having attended a few United games this season and last, on account of living 15 minutes from Tannadice and having a few Arab supporting friends.

No arguments Jamie Murphy is a good player - Goodwillie is one of the most promising young Scottish strikers around (off-field issues aside) though, so to say he's only being picked because Levein has worked with him before isn't fair IMO.

Fletcher has scored 4 goals in 18 appearances, whereas Doyle has scored 3 goals in 20 appearances :confused:

Based on recent form, which player has Levein omitted who is really so much more deserving of a place?

The Green Goblin
07-02-2011, 09:56 PM
What`s Scotland internationalist Gary Kenneth up to these days? :wink:

GG

hibbysam
07-02-2011, 10:02 PM
A combination of TV games and having attended a few United games this season and last, on account of living 15 minutes from Tannadice and having a few Arab supporting friends.

No arguments Jamie Murphy is a good player - Goodwillie is one of the most promising young Scottish strikers around (off-field issues aside) though, so to say he's only being picked because Levein has worked with him before isn't fair IMO.

Fletcher has scored 4 goals in 18 appearances, whereas Doyle has scored 3 goals in 20 appearances :confused:

Based on recent form, which player has Levein omitted who is really so much more deserving of a place?

Fair enough question answered...

Goodwillie aint nearly as good as alot of people make him out to be.. he was third sometimes 4th choice in the 21's last season...

yes and only 8 of them have been starts. hard to make an impact off the bench at the second smallest premier league club.. 4 in 8 starts and 6 in 12 starts in all competitions is a good enough strike ratio in the "best league in the world" to be getting your game for Scotland IMO...

Maguire - 3 in 22 or 17 career goals
Naismith - 9 in 30
Miller - obviously gonna be there.. So to say Fletch hasn't been getting picked by form is just total nonsense mate :confused: Yes he pulled out of this squad but he should have been in the Faroes squad and at least on the bench for the Czech game.. I'd have said what he did as well had i been in the stand watching that formation get played..

hfc rd
07-02-2011, 10:25 PM
Yeah Conway is a good player. But we all knew that sooner or later Levein would have selected him as a replacement for the injured Graham Dorrans. But the thing I don't get is how the hell are the likes of Danny Wilson who is like 6th-7th choice CB with the scousers is still getting his game when he has hardly kicked a competitive ball for his club while the likes of Paul Hanlon, who has been simply immense so far this season, can't get into that squad? FFS even if Hibs had a Scottish Messi in the team, he would still not be selected by that stupid Harry Potter.

ancient hibee
07-02-2011, 10:28 PM
Maybe the U21s have been too successful so he doesn't speak to Billy Stark?

Sylar
07-02-2011, 10:33 PM
Fair enough question answered...

Goodwillie aint nearly as good as alot of people make him out to be.. he was third sometimes 4th choice in the 21's last season...

yes and only 8 of them have been starts. hard to make an impact off the bench at the second smallest premier league club.. 4 in 8 starts and 6 in 12 starts in all competitions is a good enough strike ratio in the "best league in the world" to be getting your game for Scotland IMO...

Maguire - 3 in 22 or 17 career goals
Naismith - 9 in 30
Miller - obviously gonna be there.. So to say Fletch hasn't been getting picked by form is just total nonsense mate :confused: Yes he pulled out of this squad but he should have been in the Faroes squad and at least on the bench for the Czech game.. I'd have said what he did as well had i been in the stand watching that formation get played..

It's not surprising Goodwillie struggled though - he's still developing and was in place behind an already well developed Graham Dorrans, with both Jamie Murphy and Chris Maguire being on decent form at the same time. He's definitely good enough for at least a squad position, as he offers pace, strength and knows the way to goal, even if it is only from the bench.

Surely just because Fletcher is playing in the Premiership isn't enough reason for his selection? How can you say he's showing the form to get a national place call up when he's not even getting on the park for Wolves? He's remained on the bench the past 3 games.

He's definitely the calibre of player to help Scotland win games and he'll play a crucial role in the qualification campaign, but if he's not playing and not scoring regularly, irrespective of the league he's playing in, then Levein is right to be picking players who are performing well domestically IMO.

HibeeSince85
08-02-2011, 01:05 AM

You were saying not that long ago that you haven't been to watch Hibs in over a year yet quite happy to go watch Dundee Utd, I'll never understand this!

Ken
08-02-2011, 12:29 PM
Conway will be warming the Middlesboro bench in a year or so.

A decent SPL player but will be found out big time if he goes down south.:agree:

JimBHibees
08-02-2011, 12:38 PM
What`s Scotland internationalist Gary Kenneth up to these days? :wink:

GG

Waiting on a phone call from his old boss. :greengrin