PDA

View Full Version : April cannae come quick enough ..

MSK
06-02-2011, 10:54 AM
Tae get back onto that bowling green ..:agree:

Removed
06-02-2011, 01:27 PM
:agree: ......but to get the bike out :greengrin

greenlex
06-02-2011, 02:33 PM
:agree: but to get the golf clubs dusted off. :greengrin

MB62
07-02-2011, 08:26 AM
Tae get back onto that bowling green ..:agree:

As much as I am/was fed up with the fitba, I can't say I have ANY enthusiasm for the bowls, YET, Kenny.

Since1875
07-02-2011, 09:07 AM
Big changes this year too! Can't give the Jack away unless it's an extra end and the skips keep the score card!!!
The rule regarding the Jack is fair enough but skips keeping the score card is just stupid! Theres going to be alot of shouting back and forth on the greens!! "How many? What did you say? 1 to us or to them? :greengrin

Sylar
07-02-2011, 09:10 AM
Start of the baseball season :thumbsup:

MB62
07-02-2011, 09:25 AM
Big changes this year too! Can't give the Jack away unless it's an extra end and the skips keep the score card!!!
The rule regarding the Jack is fair enough but skips keeping the score card is just stupid! Theres going to be alot of shouting back and forth on the greens!! "How many? What did you say? 1 to us or to them? :greengrin

:agree: I can see how this is maybe fair enough in pairs, where the lead has enough to do, but in Triples and Rinks? It was fine asking the 2nd to do this job.

Delighted about the change to the Jack rule.

HH81
07-02-2011, 12:51 PM
Start of the baseball season :thumbsup:

:eek:I watched San Diego one time, nothing happened. I just don't get baseball.

Speedy
07-02-2011, 12:56 PM

Any idea what the point in that is? To be honest I never realised it was a rule that the seconds done it before, I just thought it was the done thing.

Re: Giving the jack away, I personally don't agree with the decision to change it back because it doesn't benefit anyone imo. However, the rule has already been changed indoor and I can't say I've really missed it.

Since1875
07-02-2011, 01:10 PM
Any idea what the point in that is? To be honest I never realised it was a rule that the seconds done it before, I just thought it was the done thing.

Re: Giving the jack away, I personally don't agree with the decision to change it back because it doesn't benefit anyone imo. However, the rule has already been changed indoor and I can't say I've really missed it.

No idea to be honest. Im not sure the rule was set in stone about the 2nds keeping the cards, as you say just the done thing.

Just seems to make more sense that the person down at that end of the rink would take keep the card as opposed to the person away up the other!!

I suppose i have mixed views about the Jack. In singles if it's 4 bowl i do sometimes give it away in 2 bowl i keep it everytime. Playing in the teams i mix it about. I dont see it as being a massive thing to be honest. No doubt it will get a mixed reaction.

Sylar
07-02-2011, 01:42 PM
:eek:I watched San Diego one time, nothing happened. I just don't get baseball.

No wonder :greengrin

tanfield
07-02-2011, 02:23 PM
I'm with you kenny. Counting down the days and weeks here.

Good that the rule about being able to give the jack away has been changed. Always had the potential to be unfair in singles games.

No one yet has given me a good reason why the skips have to mark the cards. Crazy!

HH81
07-02-2011, 05:11 PM
No wonder :greengrin
I'm serious. Why did they get excited. I'm sure the score was 0-0 for 6 plays each and went on for 3 hours.

Removed
07-02-2011, 05:35 PM
I'm serious. Why did they get excited. I'm sure the score was 0-0 for 6 plays each and went on for 3 hours.

It's just rounders with a big organ.

I went to watch the Blue Jays and the only exciting bit was if the roof was going to be open or not on the SkyDome.

Danderhall Hibs
07-02-2011, 05:42 PM
It's just rounders with a big organ.

I went to watch the Blue Jays and the only exciting bit was if the roof was going to be open or not on the SkyDome.

Same here - it was pish.

Lmc2105
08-02-2011, 01:00 PM
I'm with you kenny. Counting down the days and weeks here.

Good that the rule about being able to give the jack away has been changed. Always had the potential to be unfair in singles games.

No one yet has given me a good reason why the skips have to mark the cards. Crazy!

should have been an white house's agm last night andy that was fun!!:blah::rolleyes:

tanfield
08-02-2011, 01:41 PM
Aye, I can imagine. Stevie was telling me though that a vote got passed to get new polo shirts which is a step in the right direction.

Lmc2105
08-02-2011, 04:17 PM
Aye but not after a bit of hassell from everyone but we stood up said what we had to say etc ... And they eventually went for it! But I bit of modern was going down the shoot untill we spoke and fought our case!

tanfield
08-02-2011, 04:56 PM
Yeah, it was always going to need some support to get it passed. Some of the older generation will just never let go of things

tanfield
08-02-2011, 05:02 PM
So what's happening lee? You staying at whitehouse this year? I'm toying with the idea of joining again but maintaining dual membership between tanfield and whitehouse.

NYHibby
08-02-2011, 05:24 PM
I thought this was going to be a baseball thread

Removed
08-02-2011, 05:26 PM
I thought this was going to be a baseball thread

We established earlier its pish :wink:

...and it was actually meant to be a bowling thread :greengrin

Lmc2105
09-02-2011, 12:04 AM
So what's happening lee? You staying at whitehouse this year? I'm toying with the idea of joining again but maintaining dual membership between tanfield and whitehouse.

Well i have a new home in Leith and am toying with the idea of joining Tramways guy a go to the football with George Richardson was the president last year and was speaking to him about maybe joining up there ..
but am toying with the idea of Whitehouse as they might be getting modern!!

yeah do you mean just a club membership and not a bowling one Andy?

Lmc2105
09-02-2011, 12:05 AM
We established earlier its pish :wink:

...and it was actually meant to be a bowling thread :greengrin

For once billy i agree with yah :devil:

tanfield
09-02-2011, 06:08 AM
Tramways is a good club! ;)

Was thinking of a full bowling membership back at Whitehouse.

MB62
09-02-2011, 08:16 AM
Well i have a new home in Leith and am toying with the idea of joining Tramways guy a go to the football with George Richardson was the president last year and was speaking to him about maybe joining up there ..
but am toying with the idea of Whitehouse as they might be getting modern!!

yeah do you mean just a club membership and not a bowling one Andy?

You will be more than welcomed at the Northern Lee, and we already have club Polo shirts AND Jackets :-)

Seriously, we would welcome ALL new members as we are suffering the same down turn in membership as most other clubs, the winter has been harsh on us this year.

MSK
09-02-2011, 10:32 AM
You will be more than welcomed at the Northern Lee, and we already have club Polo shirts AND Jackets :-)

Seriously, we would welcome ALL new members as we are suffering the same down turn in membership as most other clubs, the winter has been harsh on us this year.Wherever we move house to may determine where I play my bowls but I am loyal to the Jewel so may just remain there ..:agree:

Musselburgh is our favoured move so I may go dual Niddrie bc & Jewel ..

Scouse Hibee
09-02-2011, 11:15 AM

Seriously, we would welcome ALL new members as we are suffering the same down turn in membership as most other clubs, the winter has been harsh on us this year.

Yes most clubs are suffering, the Caledonian Bowling Club in Russell Road closed it's doors for the last time on Sunday. Another green and club sadly lost.

tanfield
09-02-2011, 12:39 PM
Yeah, I heard about that scouse. Sad days when yet another bowling club goes to the wall. Just seems to be getting a regular occurence now. More will no doubt follow in the years ahead.

Lmc2105
09-02-2011, 12:47 PM

Could you pm me some details mate?
also andy am the same if you came back would be tempted to stay as playing in the 1st 16's with you would be good

tanfield
09-02-2011, 12:48 PM
Yeah, I heard about that scouse. Sad days when yet another bowling club goes to the wall. Just seems to be getting a regular occurence now. More will no doubt follow in the years ahead.

sg7nil
09-02-2011, 12:56 PM

There just are not enough bowlers around to keep all the current clubs going, and the "initiatives" to get new players interested in the game just don't go far enough. OK, polo shirts instead of shirts and ties is a small step in the right direction, but bowls needs to think out of the box a bit more to get some genuine appeal back.

I hate the twee way bowls is portrayed on TV, it makes me cringe when they have the "powerplay... OOOhhhh" malarky with the SAGA crowd on the sidelines! I'd rather watch a grudge league match between two strong clubs with a bit of genuine needle and banter than the sanitised for TV pap that they put on!

I fully believe the EBL helped to regenerate some interest in a lot of clubs that were on the wane, and IMHO it's no coincidence that a lot of the clubs that are struggling the most and going out of business are among the ones that didn't get into the league when it first opened. The format works and it keeps the clubs interested as they are generally playing for something every year (promotion or relegation) instead of simply being either relatively easy winners or whipping boys in a static league structure.

MB62
09-02-2011, 01:48 PM
Could you pm me some details mate?
also andy am the same if you came back would be tempted to stay as playing in the 1st 16's with you would be good

You can't play in the XVI's for two seperate clubs so Andy would have to choose one or other. Given he will probably be fearing playing against the mighty Northern in the first division this year, Andy may well choose W&G :wink: :greengrin

tanfield
09-02-2011, 02:01 PM
Trembling michael, trembling!! :)

Lmc2105
10-02-2011, 12:02 PM
After much consideration and thinking of what could be the best place for my to continue my bowling career i have decided to join up with mike at the northern Bowling club if they will have me.

Seems like the best place to go not far away lads are fantastic and would be great to play alsong side samba and mike!

So Northern if you will have me then a there!

Mike email swayed it :thumbsup::greengrin

Speedy
10-02-2011, 01:11 PM
After much consideration and thinking of what could be the best place for my to continue my bowling career i have decided to join up with mike at the northern Bowling club if they will have me.

Seems like the best place to go not far away lads are fantastic and would be great to play alsong side samba and mike!

Does that mean you will be resigning from the :hnet: team?

By the way, how did you get on in your final? Last time I saw you, you said you were in a final at your club.

sambajustice
10-02-2011, 01:52 PM

Good stuff!

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Lmc2105
10-02-2011, 01:59 PM
Does that mean you will be resigning from the :hnet: team?

By the way, how did you get on in your final? Last time I saw you, you said you were in a final at your club.

Indeed it does mate that's if northern need me lol!!

Yeah mate I lost to a player called ross mcguire good player just wasn't good enough on the day eh .. How u get on last year?

MSK
10-02-2011, 02:37 PM
Indeed it does mate that's if northern need me lol!! Yeah mate I lost to a player called ross mcguire good player just wasn't good enough on the day eh .. How u get on last year?Traitor !!!! :rules:

You are an utter nutter Lee ..imagine leaving a winning (far superior) :hnet: team tae join Mike & co ..yer a glutton for punishment kid ..:crazy:

Other than that enjoy yer move ..good bunch o guy's ..:thumbsup:

MB62
10-02-2011, 02:51 PM

Good stuff!

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Yer In MATE, Nae problems.

And a Triples Partner for myself and Sambajustice too :thumbsup:

GGTT(N)H

MSK
10-02-2011, 04:03 PM

Mike email swayed it :thumbsup::greengrinHere Lee ,,ye might need some practice before you meet :hnet:

http://www.aar.com.au/spons/m2006/bowls/flashgame.htm :greengrin

Speedy
10-02-2011, 04:31 PM
Indeed it does mate that's if northern need me lol!!

Yeah mate I lost to a player called ross mcguire good player just wasn't good enough on the day eh .. How u get on last year?

Oh well, hard lines mates. I had a good season, won u25s, pairs and fours at gorgie and the WoL pairs. Threw away the Scottish and the fleming though :bsod:

MB62
11-02-2011, 10:30 AM
Here Lee ,,ye might need some practice before you meet :hnet:

http://www.aar.com.au/spons/m2006/bowls/flashgame.htm :greengrin

Brilliant, how do you change hands though? seem to only be able to play the backhand. :greengrin

Lmc2105
11-02-2011, 12:10 PM
Traitor !!!! :rules:

You are an utter nutter Lee ..imagine leaving a winning (far superior) :hnet: team tae join Mike & co ..yer a glutton for punishment kid ..:crazy:

Other than that enjoy yer move ..good bunch o guy's ..:thumbsup:

As much as i loved playing fir .net i am very happy and excited abour joining the Northern B.C and infact i will be aiming to split the .net team apart this year please make me draw my father as i have a score to settle with him.

BTW would like you to all know that my dad is a fully qualified coach with a certificate and evrything he done this last december :thumbsup:

MSK
11-02-2011, 01:39 PM
As much as i loved playing fir .net i am very happy and excited abour joining the Northern B.C and infact i will be aiming to split the .net team apart this year please make me draw my father as i have a score to settle with him.

BTW would like you to all know that my dad is a fully qualified coach with a certificate and evrything he done this last december :thumbsup:Might bring my big bombers out for that game ..watch yer marbles bounce off them ..:greengrin

MB62
11-02-2011, 02:27 PM

BTW would like you to all know that my dad is a fully qualified coach with a certificate and evrything he done this last december :thumbsup:

Lee, could you find out from him how he went about this? It is something that interests me and I sent an e-mail to the SBA last year but got no reply.

James.
11-02-2011, 09:25 PM
Florida State at Phillies

:devil:

tanfield
14-02-2011, 11:44 AM
Lee, could you find out from him how he went about this? It is something that interests me and I sent an e-mail to the SBA last year but got no reply.

Mike, might be an idea checking the yearbook or even internet. Sure there is a list of coaches out there and you would just need to contact your area (district 11) coach who will be able to advise (sure this is how it works).

Kyle (sorry Lee) - Now that you have stepped over to the dark side I can see a queue of people wanting a piece of you. I make it your dad, Kenny wants a shot and put me in the queue as well. In fact come to think of it I've just picked one of our rinks for the game :wink: Bring it on! :greengrin

MB62
14-02-2011, 12:29 PM
Mike, might be an idea checking the yearbook or even internet. Sure there is a list of coaches out there and you would just need to contact your area (district 11) coach who will be able to advise (sure this is how it works).

Kyle (sorry Lee) - Now that you have stepped over to the dark side I can see a queue of people wanting a piece of you. I make it your dad, Kenny wants a shot and put me in the queue as well. In fact come to think of it I've just picked one of our rinks for the game :wink: Bring it on! :greengrin

Thanks for that Andrew. I might mention it to our secretary or some else on committee and see if the can get the ball rolling.

Lee, it will only be the smallest of pieces they get, if anything, the Northern Hibees will see to that :thumbsup:

MSK
14-02-2011, 04:26 PM
Thanks for that Andrew. I might mention it to our secretary or some else on committee and see if the can get the ball rolling.

Lee, it will only be the smallest of pieces they get, if anything, the Northern Hibees will see to that :thumbsup:No thanks ..he can keep his twanger ..we aint that desperate ..:greengrin

Lmc2105
14-02-2011, 04:59 PM
No thanks ..he can keep his twanger ..we aint that desperate ..:greengrin

That comment mate have to fantastic sitting on the bus pissin myself laughin and people are life wtf lol genuis mate! ... As for the bowling lads ino for a fact I am going to improve my bowling career at Northern and am looking forward to taking this battle of the northern and .net lads ... But yeah Andy your right my dad wants to show he is the better player phaaa that would be shinning (don't tell him I said that) ;) bring on the .netters Kyle ;)

Sylar
15-02-2011, 10:26 AM
Florida State at Phillies

:devil:

Philadelphia Phillies and their 4 horseman (aces) of a pitching rotation.

Guaranteed pennant quality roster :agree:

MSK
27-02-2011, 11:26 AM
Jewel green opens on 9th April ..comp sheets are up & ready ..bring it on ..

MB62
04-03-2011, 07:05 AM
Jewel green opens on 9th April ..comp sheets are up & ready ..bring it on ..

16th for the Northern. Comp sheets have been up for a while now. Unfortunately I can't play in the championship this year as my nephew gets married the same day as our final :boo hoo: :boo hoo: :boo hoo:

MSK
04-03-2011, 07:40 AM
16th for the Northern. Comp sheets have been up for a while now. Unfortunately I can't play in the championship this year as my nephew gets married the same day as our final :boo hoo: :boo hoo: :boo hoo:Thats a bummer Mike ..how inconsiderate of him ..:rules:....:greengrin

tanfield
04-03-2011, 08:55 PM
16th for the Northern. Comp sheets have been up for a while now. Unfortunately I can't play in the championship this year as my nephew gets married the same day as our final :boo hoo: :boo hoo: :boo hoo:

That sucks Mike. Kinda spoils the season before it has even started.

Tanfield opens 16th as well.

MB62
07-03-2011, 10:52 AM
Thats a bummer Mike ..how inconsiderate of him ..:rules:....:greengrin

That sucks Mike. Kinda spoils the season before it has even started.

Aye, not exactly happy with the situation but then it's not every day my nephew gets married I suppose and he is more important than a game of bowls.
Having already lost a lot of enthusiasm for the game after last year, not being able to play in the Championship has not improved my mood about things.

MSK
07-03-2011, 11:18 AM
Aye, not exactly happy with the situation but then it's not every day my nephew gets married I suppose and he is more important than a game of bowls.
Having already lost a lot of enthusiasm for the game after last year, not being able to play in the Championship has not improved my mood about things.I have a damaged left shoulder ..im struggling for the opening, absolutley gutted ..:boo hoo:

I might pull out of all the single hands & just try to play the two pairs, trips & rink ..def wont play in the league..

Lmc2105
07-03-2011, 11:40 AM
will i still be able to enter the competitions mike?

MSK
07-03-2011, 11:43 AM
will i still be able to enter the competitions mike?I sent you a pm a pm yest Lee (HNA6)...:aok:

Lmc2105
07-03-2011, 12:02 PM
I sent you a pm a pm yest Lee (HNA6)...:aok:

Thanks bud and have duly replied back :aok::thumbsup:

HNA6
07-03-2011, 12:04 PM
Thanks bud and have duly replied back :aok::thumbsup:Yer welcome kid ..:aok:

MB62
07-03-2011, 12:25 PM
will i still be able to enter the competitions mike?

Aye, that's no problem, draw sheets don't come down until end of April for the SBA's. All the other comp go up throughout the course of the season.

Lmc2105
16-03-2011, 12:29 PM
Aye, that's no problem, draw sheets don't come down until end of April for the SBA's. All the other comp go up throughout the course of the season.

Aw i wish this bowling season would just hurry up likes!! cannot wait to get going for the Northern

But .. i would like to thanks all the bowlers who have sent on there Condolences of that of my Gran. (that's why i haven't been on much) My Grandad a fellow bowler himself would liek to thank you all who have sent there best wishes and he will be there in June with my Father for the .net team :agree:

Also a big thank you to Whitehouse & Grange who played the Bag pipes and turned out in there club colours at the Funeral!!! :not worth:aok:

But one thins is for sure

GGTTNH :devil:

sg7nil
22-03-2011, 10:18 AM
Nicked from Julian Haynes...

Draw for the 2011 Edinburgh Top Ten was made at the AGM last night. Semi finals will be played at Dudley and Maitland with the final at Willowbrae.

Goldenacre or Stenhouse v Queensberry or W'house & Grange
Fountain or Juniper Green v Gorgie Mills or Liberton
Lutton Place or Merchiston v Tipperlinn or Summerside
Maitland or Postal v Bainfield or Northern
Dudley or Pilrig v Niddrie or Parkside
Willowbrae or Sighthill v Coltbridge or Beechwood
Carrick Knowe or Currie v Wardie
Dean v Blackhall
Portobello v Balerno
London Rd Foundry v Tanfield
Seafield v Craigentinny
Corstorphine v Ardmillan
Colinton v Hillside
Tramways v Slateford
Mayfield v Leith
Brunstane v Edin West End

Tough ties in there for a few teams.. Northern will do well to progress!

sambajustice
22-03-2011, 11:55 AM

Draw for the 2011 Edinburgh Top Ten was made at the AGM last night. Semi finals will be played at Dudley and Maitland with the final at Willowbrae.

Dean v Blackhall
Portobello v Balerno
Seafield v Craigentinny
Corstorphine v Ardmillan
Colinton v Hillside
Tramways v Slateford
Mayfield v Leith

how do they pick who hosts the finals, semi finals etc?? I know a guy who works for the company that does work on a lot of the greens in edinburgh. He said they were down pricing a job at Willowbrae and the green is just an utter state. Surely you aren't wanting finals played on greens that are, well, unplayable!??

sg7nil
22-03-2011, 12:55 PM
how do they pick who hosts the finals, semi finals etc?? I know a guy who works for the company that does work on a lot of the greens in edinburgh. He said they were down pricing a job at Willowbrae and the green is just an utter state. Surely you aren't wanting finals played on greens that are, well, unplayable!??

Pretty sure the finals are played at the green of the Top 10 President, with the Semis being at possibly the Vice President or another committee members green.

Willowbrae top green is usually fine, it'll be the bottom (North) green that wil be in a state probably... certainly last year the South was Ok, but the North had a lot of moss on it.

Just be thankful that the finals aren't at somewhere like Tipperlinn!

MB62
23-03-2011, 08:17 AM

Dean v Blackhall
Portobello v Balerno
Seafield v Craigentinny
Corstorphine v Ardmillan
Colinton v Hillside
Tramways v Slateford
Mayfield v Leith

I tried to sign up for this Julien Haynes thing a couple of times but nobody ever got back in touch, I must kick with the wrong foot for the admins :wink:

Interesting draw for the cup, Bainfield couldn't have got it any tougher and they must be sick at that draw :wink: :greengrin

sambajustice
23-03-2011, 08:43 AM
I tried to sign up for this Julien Haynes thing a couple of times but nobody ever got back in touch, I must kick with the wrong foot for the admins :wink:
Interesting draw for the cup, Bainfield couldn't have got it any tougher and they must be sick at that draw :wink: :greengrin

I got banned for life just for signing up!!!

MSK
23-03-2011, 10:12 PM

I got banned for life just for signing up!!!Tried registering too but never heard a peep back ..maybe its the Jewel connection ..maybe if I put in a posh club like the Northern I might get in ..:greengrin

Scouse Hibee
24-03-2011, 03:26 PM
I haven't managed to sell my Aces yet but think I may have decided on Drakes Pride Professional Plus as my new bowls.

Has anyone used them or know of anyone that uses them/opinions??