PDA

View Full Version : Mark Hateley

brog
06-02-2011, 11:44 AM
A week or 2 ago i heard that t*** on ESPN ( I think ) talking about Deek & he said something like " He's caused trouble everywhere he's gone ". ( that would be all of 2 clubs! ) I was incensed & intended to write to ESPN about this but I've been out country until y'day. Did anyone else see this, has there been a thread on it? Any info would be appreciated as the record needs to be set straight re that idiot's ramblings.
Thanks in anticipation!

Phil D. Rolls
06-02-2011, 12:07 PM
A week or 2 ago i heard that t*** on ESPN ( I think ) talking about Deek & he said something like " He's caused trouble everywhere he's gone ". ( that would be all of 2 clubs! ) I was incensed & intended to write to ESPN about this but I've been out country until y'day. Did anyone else see this, has there been a thread on it? Any info would be appreciated as the record needs to be set straight re that idiot's ramblings.
Thanks in anticipation!

I don't think anyone bothers much about what Mark Hateley says. Complaining about him would be like complaining about these guys who walk about the street talking to themselves.

brog
06-02-2011, 12:16 PM
I don't think anyone bothers much about what Mark Hateley says. Complaining about him would be like complaining about these guys who walk about the street talking to themselves.

You're probably correct but maybe it's because we're so beaten down & apathetic that we accept the 3rd rate & ex OF rubbish they give us as commentators/pundits. I'll give it a go while steam still coming out my ears anyway. :wink:

Phil D. Rolls
06-02-2011, 12:22 PM
You're probably correct but maybe it's because we're so beaten down & apathetic that we accept the 3rd rate & ex OF rubbish they give us as commentators/pundits. I'll give it a go while steam still coming out my ears anyway. :wink:

It's the same thing on Match of the Day though. I just don't know why ex players are on these shows at all. They rarely give a professional footballer's insight into what has been happening.

jdships
06-02-2011, 12:38 PM
It's the same thing on Match of the Day though. I just don't know why ex players are on these shows at all. They rarely give a professional footballer's insight into what has been happening.

Interesting :greengrin
Pray tell us who your "dream team " team would be for MOD
:wink::confused:

Hibbie_Cameron
06-02-2011, 12:56 PM
The same Hateley that praised Rangers for signing Diouf??

truehibernian
06-02-2011, 01:01 PM
I think there are extremes. Personally I have a lot of time for Martin Keown as he has a superb knowledge of the game and his mannerism comes across really well on television and when commentating. However I also love Robbie Savage, who is a fans player pundit. His passion and emotion, as well as his sense of humour, is sadly lacking on many football shows. Hansen and Lawrenson annoy my thruppenies with their arrogant, conceited approach to punditry...........June 22 1982 showed me exactly why Alan Hansen is and always will be a mammary gland. Comedy defending :greengrin

Reaper
06-02-2011, 01:11 PM
I seen it mate and treated it with the contempt it deserved. The thing is you've got to remember wether they are ex-old firm staff, players or whatever they still wear the old firm blinkers and always will. Their comments mean nothing when they talk about anything other than Rangers and Celtic as they know so little or nothing about the other teams.

According to Hateley 3 weeks before that Eremenko was sinking in La Liga before he came to Killie, which we all know is bull**** as he came from the Russian premier league.

The mans a twat.

Bostonhibby
06-02-2011, 04:33 PM

Spike Milligan, "Dave" Cameron, Mao Tse Tung and Gok Wan?

mike1875
06-02-2011, 04:45 PM
According to Hateley 3 weeks before that Eremenko was sinking in La Liga before he came to Killie, which we all know is bull**** as he came from the Russian premier league.

Ukrainian Premier League

Reaper
06-02-2011, 05:21 PM
Ukrainian Premier League

I stand corrected, however I was closer than ****in Spain haha:na na:

Phil D. Rolls
06-02-2011, 05:37 PM

Spike Milligan, "Dave" Cameron, Mao Tse Tung and Gok Wan?

Beat me to it, but I was going to go for Tony Benn, Enoch Powell (decd.) and Cheryl Cole to bring the view from the terraces. :greengrin

I actually think Lee Dixon is an excellent pundit, and I could also have listened to the late Bob Crampsey talk about football forever.

There are people who have been in the game, and actually know the game, but they don't fit into the cosy world of Linneker and co.

Mind you, at least Hansen, Shearer and Lawrenson (somebody must have told him he was a bit of a wag once), attempt to sound interesting. Up hear all we get is a couple of po faced weegies, repeating the question back to the interviewer.

What we really need is a Clough type that will basically say someone is rotten when they are.

clerriehibs
06-02-2011, 05:54 PM
Thanks in anticipation!

Not as bad as that t!t kenny clarke, ex ref, saying that whenever trouble kicked off on a pitch, riordan and lafferty are the two he'd expect it of.

On the field, the behaviour of those two is incomparable (I've no idea and don't care about any alleged off field behaviours).

kenny clarke; ex ref, ex FIFA ref, and practising lawyer. Just who the f*** does he think he is making statements like that?

brog
06-02-2011, 08:24 PM
Not as bad as that t!t kenny clarke, ex ref, saying that whenever trouble kicked off on a pitch, riordan and lafferty are the two he'd expect it of.

On the field, the behaviour of those two is incomparable (I've no idea and don't care about any alleged off field behaviours).

kenny clarke; ex ref, ex FIFA ref, and practising lawyer. Just who the f*** does he think he is making statements like that?

I'd forgotten about that!! Thanks anyway for earlier post confirming my old ears weren't playing me up, didn't want to rant to ESPN & be inaccurate myself!

aussie_hibee
06-02-2011, 11:37 PM
Beat me to it, but I was going to go for Enoch Powell (decd.) enoch showumni and Thomas sowumni to bring the view from the terraces.

Fixed

aberhibsfc
07-02-2011, 01:21 PM

:agree:

MacBean
07-02-2011, 03:50 PM
I think there are extremes. Personally I have a lot of time for Martin Keown as he has a superb knowledge of the game and his mannerism comes across really well on television and when commentating. However I also love Robbie Savage, who is a fans player pundit. His passion and emotion, as well as his sense of humour, is sadly lacking on many football shows. Hansen and Lawrenson annoy my thruppenies with their arrogant, conceited approach to punditry...........June 22 1982 showed me exactly why Alan Hansen is and always will be a mammary gland. Comedy defending :greengrin

Savage, no idea why everyone hated him as a footballer, top guy, great laugh and a great singer :wink:
youtube the videos of him singing in his car enroute to Derby games - hilarious :aok:

GreenPJ
07-02-2011, 04:08 PM
Beat me to it, but I was going to go for Tony Benn, Enoch Powell (decd.) and Cheryl Cole to bring the view from the terraces. :greengrin

I actually think Lee Dixon is an excellent pundit, and I could also have listened to the late Bob Crampsey talk about football forever.

There are people who have been in the game, and actually know the game, but they don't fit into the cosy world of Linneker and co.

Mind you, at least Hansen, Shearer and Lawrenson (somebody must have told him he was a bit of a wag once), attempt to sound interesting. Up hear all we get is a couple of po faced weegies, repeating the question back to the interviewer.

What we really need is a Clough type that will basically say someone is rotten when they are.

Some people might have said that Gordon Strachan was quite forthright as a manager and his dealings with the press and he got slated for it once he was up here

truehibernian
07-02-2011, 05:00 PM
Some people might have said that Gordon Strachan was quite forthright as a manager and his dealings with the press and he got slated for it once he was up here

True, but Brian Clough's put-down's and one liners were often a broadside at the game, the rules of the game, or directed to the powers that be. The person interviewing was often just an accessory or platform.

Gordon's interview technique was nearly always directed at the interviewer and with a view to taking the lilian gish out of him/her. Their was also often arrogance, condescension and a childish ignorance in his replies.

Give me Cloughie any day of the week.

Phil D. Rolls
07-02-2011, 06:11 PM
In a typical U turn, I have to say I watched MOTD2 last night, and there was actually very good analysis and explanation of systems of play. I think it's just that I don't like Alan Shearer, Mark Lawrenson or Alan Hansen. I'd still rather have Cloughie though.

Phil D. Rolls
07-02-2011, 06:12 PM

Unfairly IMO, although at times I thought he acted smart for the sake of it.

Carheenlea
07-02-2011, 07:00 PM
In a typical U turn, I have to say I watched MOTD2 last night, and there was actually very good analysis and explanation of systems of play. I think it's just that I don't like Alan Shearer, Mark Lawrenson or Alan Hansen. I'd still rather have Cloughie though.

On the rare occasion I watch football on the telly, I always switch over when the "analysis" starts.

I`m no expert on the game, but I can watch a match and understand without too much difficulty whats going on without 2 or three dullards in open-necked shirts telling me what I`ve just watched.

Of course, if there was someone as engaging as Bob Crampsey in the studio, then that would be different. Am I right in saying that football was not even his favourite sport, his favourite being cricket?

truehibernian
07-02-2011, 07:14 PM
On the rare occasion I watch football on the telly, I always switch over when the "analysis" starts.

I`m no expert on the game, but I can watch a match and understand without too much difficulty whats going on without 2 or three dullards in open-necked shirts telling me what I`ve just watched.

Of course, if there was someone as engaging as Bob Crampsey in the studio, then that would be different. Am I right in saying that football was not even his favourite sport, his favourite being cricket?

:not worth

Could have listened to Bob Crampsey all day long. He had the most descriptive way of telling football stories and had an encyclopedic mind. They don't make many like him these days. David Begg tried hard but can never ever hide his Rangers leanings.........Crampsey was the Yoda of punditry :greengrin

hfc rd
07-02-2011, 10:37 PM
I hate that Mark Hateley as well. I remember once he kept bragging on about how brilliant his son is. Fair enough the lad Tom is a good player but the way that Hun was bragging on about him was as if he was Manchester United, Barcelona class! :faf:. What an absolute joke of a man.

Pretty Boy
07-02-2011, 10:43 PM
:not worth

Could have listened to Bob Crampsey all day long. He had the most descriptive way of telling football stories and had an encyclopedic mind. They don't make many like him these days. David Begg tried hard but can never ever hide his Rangers leanings.........Crampsey was the Yoda of punditry :greengrin

Bob Crampsey was THE football pundit. I used to love it when Chick Young tried to debate with him and Crampsey would blow him away week after week.

His books 'The game for the games sake' (about the early years of Queens Park) and 'Mr Stein' are both well worth a read.

Knowledgable, intelligent, articulate and analytical was what Crampsey was. In fact he was everything that is missing from todays Scottish football punditry.

brog
08-02-2011, 09:41 AM
I actually emailed the DR's Monday questions page yesterday asking for a comparison of Deek's & Hately's disciplinary records. I'm sure it will make interesting reading, I do remember Hately being sent off for nutting the Celtc goalie, Kerr I think!

lapsedhibee
08-02-2011, 10:21 AM
I actually emailed the DR's Monday questions page yesterday asking for a comparison of Deek's & Hately's disciplinary records. I'm sure it will make interesting reading, I do remember Hately being sent off for nutting the Celtc goalie, Kerr I think!

In the Rancid's records, though, Deek will be listed as 'lucky to escape with a yellow after nutting McGregor'.

s.a.m
08-02-2011, 10:24 AM

Bob Crampsey was THE football pundit. I used to love it when Chick Young tried to debate with him and Crampsey would blow him away week after week.

His books 'The game for the games sake' (about the early years of Queens Park) and 'Mr Stein' are both well worth a read.

Knowledgable, intelligent, articulate and analytical was what Crampsey was. In fact he was everything that is missing from todays Scottish football punditry.

:agree: I think his retirement and passing has left a yawning gap in the Scottish game - which the BBC etc... has chosen to fill with "it's like being in the pub with yer pished mates" style coverage. I know that this has its fans - here and elsewhere - but it's not for me. I much prefer knowledge and insight over faux fun - though Crampsey managed to be entertaining at the same time as enlightening.

He also (it's worth remembering), stepped in at short notice to deliver a eulogy at Gordon Smith's funeral. Often used to talk about Smith and the Famous Five in reverential tones.

Devine
08-02-2011, 04:50 PM
I've long admired the wonderful insight Mark Hateley gives his reading public if you have a minute please read his predictions re: England at last years World Cup : http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/football/england/2010/05/26/england-can-win-world-cup-with-fabio-capello-s-magic-touch-says-rangers-legend-mark-hateley-86908-22286166/

In addition my personal favourite is linked below. Possibly the most delusional piece I have ever read

http://blogs.dailyrecord.co.uk/markhateley/2010/11/5m-a-year.html

MacBean
08-02-2011, 05:08 PM
I've long admired the wonderful insight Mark Hateley gives his reading public if you have a minute please read his predictions re: England at last years World Cup : http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/football/england/2010/05/26/england-can-win-world-cup-with-fabio-capello-s-magic-touch-says-rangers-legend-mark-hateley-86908-22286166/

In addition my personal favourite is linked below. Possibly the most delusional piece I have ever read

http://blogs.dailyrecord.co.uk/markhateley/2010/11/5m-a-year.html

Imagine what we could do with £5million a year :agree: