PDA

View Full Version : Liam Miller

Col2
05-02-2011, 12:01 PM
Now that we appear to far more dig and balance in our midfield. I still think there is a place for Liam Miller in the team. If Palsson and Scott are doing the tackling and chasing, no doubt in my mind Miller skill and football intelligence can play a big part for the rest of the season and into next season with hopefully a wee contract extension.

Could we even play him behind Deek and Sodje for more attack minded games?

Any thoughts?

Thecat23
05-02-2011, 12:13 PM
I agree, he he shows the form he did a while back no reason he can now push on a bit and do what he does best picking out great passes for deeks and Sodje.

Golden Bear
05-02-2011, 12:14 PM
He's an underachiever, always has been and always will be. Slow, lazy , chicken hearted and for the most part disinterested.

Well you did ask.

col02
05-02-2011, 12:15 PM
At this moment in time I do not see Miller being a first pick for a five man midfield. I reckon Wotherspoon, Scott, Palsson, Thornhill and Riordan from right to left will occupy those berths for the remaining matches if fit and available. Good that we have the likes of Miller, Murray and Galbraith as options for the midfield though and should see us have enough to pull away from St Mirren and Hamilton.

mentalhibee
05-02-2011, 12:18 PM
Now that we have a midfeild that can put in a tackle and actual look for a pass, Liam Miller will flourish. I can see him getting a few goals before the end of the season.:cgwa

Golden Bear
05-02-2011, 12:25 PM
Now that we have a midfeild that can put in a tackle and actual look for a pass, Liam Miller will flourish. I can see him getting a few goals before the end of the season.:cgwa

I sense a new wave of optimism sweeping the boards so I really hope that you are correct.

But let's wait and see eh.

:rolleyes:

Reaper
05-02-2011, 12:38 PM
I hope there is a place for him and he comes good and proves a few folk wrong, however if he is not a regular starter he has only himself to blame. I don't think he'll be signing a new contract and be off to pastures new next year.

E.T. is a Hibee
05-02-2011, 12:50 PM
I've always said he's a quality player.. Even when he's bad you can see quality in some of the little things he does. I'd always be looking for a way of playing him.

I think he's been letting the team down to be honest and is a wee bit of a girls blouse!

Jim44
05-02-2011, 12:53 PM
He's an underachiever, always has been and always will be. Slow, lazy , chicken hearted and for the most part disinterested.

Well you did ask.

I think you're being a wee bit hard here, John. I think the quality is there and in the right circumstances is one of our classiest players. The state we've been in recently hasn't been conducive to getting the best out of Miller and so you're probably right in some respects with your analysis of him. I still think that a change in our fortunes will see him come on to a game. I'd be sorry to see him go.

Bob Box Fish
05-02-2011, 01:41 PM
He has been an underachiever, but as the OP says I think with the right players around him we could see a better player.

J-C
05-02-2011, 01:56 PM
When things are going well like the beginning of last season, Miller was one of our best players but when times get tough, he quickly disappears into obscurity. He's proved time and time again that he's not up for the fight, this is where Yogi failed, he needed to buy in midfielders who could put their foot in and play for 90 mins, he didn't do this and the whole team struggled.

CC gave every midfielder a chance to prove/show what they could do and he obviously saw like all of us on here that we had a weak midfield full of wage thieves/just not good enough.

Winston Ingram
05-02-2011, 06:04 PM
Now that we appear to far more dig and balance in our midfield. I still think there is a place for Liam Miller in the team. If Palsson and Scott are doing the tackling and chasing, no doubt in my mind Miller skill and football intelligence can play a big part for the rest of the season and into next season with hopefully a wee contract extension.

Could we even play him behind Deek and Sodje for more attack minded games?

Any thoughts?

I like Miller. He would be in my team if I was picking it

ancient hibee
05-02-2011, 06:20 PM
I like Miller. He would be in my team if I was picking it

In place of Riordan presumably.

NORTHERNHIBBY
05-02-2011, 06:32 PM
Hughes thought that when the sun stopped shining it was because Miller was sitting down. Not sure that CC covets him so much that he would set his team up around him, over setting up with a shape very much in mind. Barring injury and suspension, Thornhill, Palsson, Scott and Spoony.

Billy Whizz
05-02-2011, 07:04 PM
Hughes thought that when the sun stopped shining it was because Miller was sitting down. Not sure that CC covets him so much that he would set his team up around him, over setting up with a shape very much in mind. Barring injury and suspension, Thornhill, Palsson, Scott and Spoony.

Horses for courses. Miller will benefit but having more runners in the team.

500miles
05-02-2011, 07:42 PM
Decent players are still reliant on the players around them. Great players kick on regardless. Liam Miller is a decent player, not a great one. Hanlon and Palsson are two players who have shown the potential to be great players for us.

Liam Miller is a decent player, but if Thornhill, Spoony and Scott can prove that they can perform independantly, then he should be left to warm the bench.

the slope
05-02-2011, 08:14 PM

Well you did ask.

Plus the fact he is probably one of the highest paid players at the club . Think its time to let him go at the end of the season

WindyMiller
05-02-2011, 08:22 PM

Well you did ask.

:top marks:agree:

erin go bragh
05-02-2011, 08:28 PM

Well you did ask.
but were we all not raving about him betwen aug and dec 09, saying he was pure class :agree: granted he has been poor but the whole team has been poor,maybe now that the team has got some fighters he might recapture his earlier form :wink:
ggtth if not we get rid :greengrin

The Harp Awakes
05-02-2011, 09:26 PM
You need balance in a successful team. Yogi filled his squad with midgets who were happy to pass the ball (mostly backwards) but had no physical presence and in a physical SPL, teams bulldozed us out of the way with ease.

Liam Miller is probably the best footballer we have at the Club and in a harder tackling, stronger midfield he will be a success IMO.

It should be a proirity to get him signed up.

greenlex
05-02-2011, 09:51 PM
You need balance in a successful team. Yogi filled his squad with midgets who were happy to pass the ball (mostly backwards) but had no physical presence and in a physical SPL, teams bulldozed us out of the way with ease.

Liam Miller is probably the best footballer we have at the Club and in a harder tackling, stronger midfield he will be a success IMO.

It should be a proirity to get him signed up.
Gonna be honest here. We need a bigger more robust version. Another Palsson will do. Not a priority in our midfield. If we have a couple of injuries and suspensions in there I wouldnt like to be relying on Miller to give us the required dig.

FromTheCapital
06-02-2011, 10:47 AM
He's no good in right midfield... I'd play him further foward to be honest.

Dinkydoo
06-02-2011, 11:10 AM
He'd be in my team every week; one of the few players in the squad that can pick out a really intelligent pass.

When he came on against St Mirren he looked like just the thing we were missing all game, IMO.

With others doing the leg work I think we will start to see the best out of him again.

BroxburnHibee
06-02-2011, 11:23 AM
:confused:

Is this the same Liam Miller who was supposed to be signing for Hearts we're talking about.

You know who I mean - the one a large section of our so-called support thought it would be ok to abuse on the back of a rumour posted on here (started by Hearts fans I have no doubt).

I still hope LM can play a positive part in our team. He'll need to work harder though - up to him whether he wants it bad enough.

madabouthibs
06-02-2011, 05:09 PM
He'll be on the bench until the end of the season, then he'll be offski.
The guys obviously got some kind of talent, but as far as I've seen he hasn't shown much of it at Hibs. Massive underacheiver, bottles out oftackles, and can hardly get a cross past the first defender. If he comes good for us then fair enough, but I just can't see it.

yekimevol
06-02-2011, 05:14 PM
no thanks.

i would put thornhill, scott, plasson and murray before him.
these boys will battle out every second of the game.

i believe the first three to be better footballer technically than miller going forward and going back. also i believe that murrays determination and defencive abilitys also make him a more valuable asset to the squad.

so there are 4 center midfielders i would put in the squad before miller.

:cgwa

WindyMiller
06-02-2011, 05:22 PM
no thanks.

i would put thornhill, scott, plasson and murray before him.
these boys will battle out every second of the game.

i believe the first three to be better footballer technically than miller going forward and going back. also i believe that murrays determination and defencive abilitys also make him a more valuable asset to the squad.

so there are 4 center midfielders i would put in the squad before miller.

:cgwa

In a battle (as most SPL games are) I'd put Spoony and wee Lewis before Miller.

Beefster
06-02-2011, 05:24 PM
If Miller is one of our top earners, I'd let him go and use the money more wisely. We can't afford to be using one of our best wages on someone who only turns it on once a quarter and can't take a game by the scruff of the neck.

Higgy115
08-02-2011, 08:50 AM
I have always defended him in having rank players around him in midfield and nobody to pass to, this is a great chance for him to prove to us that he is as good as he showed during his first 6 months with us. Best passer in the club and when at his best seems to have more time than anyone else on the ball.

Personally i think he will shine for the rest of the season with Pallson and Scott beside him.

NorthNorfolkHFC
08-02-2011, 08:52 AM
I have always defended him in having rank players around him in midfield and nobody to pass to, this is a great chance for him to prove to us that he is as good as he showed during his first 6 months with us. Best passer in the club and when at his best seems to have more time than anyone else on the ball.

Personally i think he will shine for the rest of the season with Pallson and Scott beside him.

Was he THAT good in the first 6 months. Looking back i think we rode our luck in quite alot of games.

Higgy115
08-02-2011, 09:16 AM
Was he THAT good in the first 6 months. Looking back i think we rode our luck in quite alot of games.

I thought he was outstanding his first few months..... Maybe compared to the dross around him.

JimBHibees
08-02-2011, 09:19 AM
Hopefully CC can get more out of him and that he can augment a more physical midfield with his undoubted ability. Lets see how he does in the rest of the season before deciding whether to bin him or not.

happiehibbie
08-02-2011, 10:07 AM
I think Liam Miller is a fantastic player but we became to powder puff in midfiled which exposed not just him but the whole team I agree with the OP that he should now show the flare and class he knows he has.

On a diffrent note I dont think him and Deek get on tho

blackpoolhibs
08-02-2011, 10:13 AM

:faf: And all the other teams picked up every point the gained deservedly?

blackpoolhibs
08-02-2011, 10:22 AM

:agree: Thonhill Pallson and Scott look to be 3 players who can do the donkey work, but also play a little too. Miller can flourish amongst them, although it does not leave a place for Wotherspoon. And he does not deserve to be dropped after last weeks performance.:thumbsup:

At least we wont have to see much if any of the dross thats been in there previously. :bye::applause:

Soje and Riordan will play up front i'd imagine, but at least we now have a midfield who should create more for the forwards, and help out the defence with defending.

Judas Iscariot
08-02-2011, 10:32 AM
In place of Riordan presumably.

:aok:

Stevie Reid
08-02-2011, 10:34 AM
I'd quite happily go with Thornhill, Scott and Palsson, Miller can stay on the bench, he's actually looked more useful coming on as a sub recently anyway.

The Liam Miller that I remember at Celtic was the player that arrived late in the box and was a genuine goal threat (as exemplified by those 2 CL goals that he scored at Parkhead, one was a header - I don't recall seeing Miller win too many headers these days) - that player clearly doesn't exist anymore (hence the reason he is at Hibs now).

From what Calderwood has said about Thornhill it sounds like he is similar to the player that Miller used to be - he has stated definitively that he has signed him as a goal threat, but he showed last week that he's happy to get stuck in also, and put in tackles. Give hime the starting bearth and bring Miller on when hopefully we have a lead to hang onto - his cute touches and use of the ball are most effective on the break IMO.

NorthNorfolkHFC
08-02-2011, 04:04 PM
:faf: And all the other teams picked up every point the gained deservedly?

No, i never said that. I suggested WE were lucky on more occasions than actually playing well and deserving victory.

I'd like to think i can talk about Hibs without blinkers on.

Golden Bear
08-02-2011, 04:50 PM
I'd quite happily go with Thornhill, Scott and Palsson, Miller can stay on the bench, he's actually looked more useful coming on as a sub recently anyway.

The Liam Miller that I remember at Celtic was the player that arrived late in the box and was a genuine goal threat (as exemplified by those 2 CL goals that he scored at Parkhead, one was a header - I don't recall seeing Miller win too many headers these days) - that player clearly doesn't exist anymore (hence the reason he is at Hibs now).

From what Calderwood has said about Thornhill it sounds like he is similar to the player that Miller used to be - he has stated definitively that he has signed him as a goal threat, but he showed last week that he's happy to get stuck in also, and put in tackles. Give hime the starting bearth and bring Miller on when hopefully we have a lead to hang onto - his cute touches and use of the ball are most effective on the break IMO.

He's managed to perfect that technique at Hibs.

:wink:

blackpoolhibs
08-02-2011, 05:19 PM
No, i never said that. I suggested WE were lucky on more occasions than actually playing well and deserving victory.

I'd like to think i can talk about Hibs without blinkers on.

I disagree we got lucky, but even for arguments sake we did, all the other teams surely got as much luck? Can you name these games we won, where we shouldn't have? There's not many, 3 at most and 2 of them are debatable.

allezsauzee
08-02-2011, 06:20 PM
Miller is a good player but he needs movement so he can pick a pass. No coincidence that his best form was shown when we had Zouma and Spoony combining down the right and Murray and Riordan on the left with Stokes up front.

Caroline Hibby
08-02-2011, 07:40 PM
Miller is a good player but he needs movement so he can pick a pass. No coincidence that his best form was shown when we had Zouma and Spoony combining down the right and Murray and Riordan on the left with Stokes up front.

Miller is a passenger who has had plenty of opportunities to show his alleged 'class'. Time to give others a chance. This goes for Rankin and McBride too who are no worse than Miller IMO, but still not good enough. I'd let the 3 of them go. Miller will probably be plying his trade in Australia or 1st Div next season.

sunshine1875
08-02-2011, 07:44 PM
Miller is a passenger who has had plenty of opportunities to show his alleged 'class'. Time to give others a chance. This goes for Rankin and McBride too who are no worse than Miller IMO, but still not good enough. I'd let the 3 of them go. Miller will probably be plying his trade in Australia or 1st Div next season.

:agree: also in the last few games it is clear that he is too slow to make the 'killer' forward pass.

hfc rd
08-02-2011, 10:21 PM
I would give Liam Miller a 1 year contract as like what most people have said on here so far is that it will be very interesting seeing how he will do with the likes of Palsson, Scott & Thornhill around him. I hope he will be like that creative intelligent player he was during the first half of last season as I thought he was truly inspirational at that time.

RMQ1967
08-02-2011, 10:40 PM
:agree: also in the last few games it is clear that he is too slow to make the 'killer' forward pass.

That's been the case for a long time now - the channel is open but for whatever reason he delays & gets caught or the pass get intercepted - pretty frustrating to watch but maybe it's a confidence thing - thinking too much about the pass insted of doing it instinctively.

Lets hope the new boys bring out the best in him.

Beefster
09-02-2011, 06:16 AM
A few folk are saying give him a one year contract and see if he gets better or keep him as an impact sub. Hibs can't pay out the wage that he'll be on for that type of player. For Miller's wage, he should be one of the players dictating the way we play.

Any new contract punt taken on Miller could cost Hibs one potentially really important player or two normal players.

Stevie Reid
09-02-2011, 09:39 AM
A few folk are saying give him a one year contract and see if he gets better or keep him as an impact sub. Hibs can't pay out the wage that he'll be on for that type of player. For Miller's wage, he should be one of the players dictating the way we play.

Any new contract punt taken on Miller could cost Hibs one potentially really important player or two normal players.

Completely agree. I have been one of Miller's fiercest critics, but I think with every justification - I've mentioned on previous threads that if we can't get a player who puts in good performances 75%+ of the time on the money that he earns, then we are in serious bother. I would have expected Miller to be the equivalent for Hibs that Colin Cameron was at Hearts, for example - a hugely important player who performs very well 90% of the time, and is sorely missed when he's unavailable. He's been nowhere near.

The fact that he has lost his place in an awful Hibs team says it all, compounded by the fact that we did not miss him at all against St. Mirren. Unless he has a serious renaissance between now and the end of the season, he'll be off - but he can stay on the bench for now. Hungrier players have taken his place, let's see if he can win it back - I have serious doubts.