PDA

View Full Version : Greggs Adam Rooney on a Pre-Contract?

The Harp Awakes
05-02-2011, 01:16 AM
About a half an hour after the Celtic game in January I got a text from a mate to say he had just been on Hibs official website and there was a headline about us having signed Adam Rooney on a pre-contract. Minutes later the headline had apparently disappeared.

Thought it was a load of cr@p at the time and not thought much more about it since then but is there a chance that AR has signed for us on a pre-contract and it is being kept quiet for obvious reasons?

Here's the most recent artcle I can find on the 'net:

http://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/Article.aspx/2120846

Hibs are mentioned and the comment about us not having made a bid could well mean that no bid was made to make him a Hibs player in January.

Maybe I'm hopeposting but fingers crossed:wink:

NOLA
05-02-2011, 02:25 AM
would like to see him ply his trade at ER, just cant see it happening TBH, shame

Sylar
05-02-2011, 08:14 AM
He'll go to the Championship or perhaps abroad if the guy has any ambition.

H18sry
05-02-2011, 08:19 AM
He'll go to the Championship or perhaps abroad if the guy has any ambition.

So players coming to Hibs lack ambition :confused: what a strange statement to make. :rolleyes:

500miles
05-02-2011, 08:29 AM
So players coming to Hibs lack ambition :confused: what a strange statement to make. :rolleyes:
Aye. He's at a club higher up the league, challanging for European football, and we are in a relegation battle.

The only reason he would sign for us right now would be a comparitively minor (when compared with what the championship could offer) increase in wage.

So aye, it would indicate a lack of ambition, especially with his options.

Beefster
05-02-2011, 08:36 AM
Aye. He's at a club higher up the league, challanging for European football, and we are in a relegation battle.

The only reason he would sign for us right now would be a comparitively minor (when compared with what the championship could offer) increase in wage.

We're a bigger club than ICT with more potential and resources and are likely to perform better than ICT over a longer period than to the end of the season. There may be better options for him than Hibs but coming to Hibs wouldn't show lack of ambition.

Sylar
05-02-2011, 08:42 AM

In my eyes, any player moving from one SPL club to another, particularly one with potential, does lack ambition.

Wilson
05-02-2011, 08:43 AM
I can't see any reason for him to sign a pre-contract unless it would be to force ICT into negotiating a fee with hibs for an early release.

If it had got to the pre-contract stage I don't imagine ICT would have been that difficult to do a deal with.

I expect Rooney will be doing the smart thing and weighing up the offers for his services come the summer.

erin go bragh
05-02-2011, 08:46 AM

pehaps he thinks hibs are in a false position in the league and by next season with cc own signings and the deadwood cleared out he will be joining a club challenging at the top of the league and maybe winning a cup .
so id say he had plenty of ambition if he does sign for us as were a massive club with a great tradition and history . maybe you should do a bit research about our great club before you start righting us of .
ggtth

H18sry
05-02-2011, 08:58 AM
In my eyes, any player moving from one SPL club to another, particularly one with potential, does lack ambition.

If that's the case what does Palsson,Riordan,Stokes and the likes who have joined Hibs to further there careers rather than just going through the motions which is how your "lacks ambition statement" comes across.
And do you really think in the long run ICT have more potential than Hibs :confused:

Hibbyradge
05-02-2011, 09:05 AM

Or opportunity.

NORTHERNHIBBY
05-02-2011, 09:06 AM
Altough ICT are having a decent season, I think it is abit of a reach to say that they are an established SPL side. Not that they are a yo-yo team by any means but there is a level between them and the OF and us and that is where we fit in. The fact that many of our players just now are not up to scratch, will hugely annoying, doesn't make it not true.

500miles
05-02-2011, 09:06 AM
If that's the case what does Polsson,Riordan,Stokes and the likes who have joined Hibs to further there careers rather than just going through the motions which is how your "lacks ambition statement" comes across.
And do you really think in the long run ICT have more potential than Hibs :confused:

How much potential do you think there is in the small pond that is the SPL?
You can either chase the money and go to one of the OF, or head down south to try and prove yourself on a much greater stage.

We're on the same stage as ICT, and our aspiration is limited to a UEFA cup run and a cup every now and then. Both more likely to be achieved if you can find a bit of success in England or abroad.

500miles
05-02-2011, 09:09 AM
If that's the case what does Polsson,Riordan,Stokes and the likes who have joined Hibs to further there careers rather than just going through the motions which is how your "lacks ambition statement" comes across.

The likes of Polsson and Stokes are/were at Hibs to catch the eye of bigger clubs.

Although yeah, Derek Riordan is an example of a player who lacks the ambition to go further in the game. And to say otherwise that is either naivety, or down right denial.

Sylar
05-02-2011, 09:10 AM

Where did I say that? His contract is up at the end of this season and sticking around at a high flying ICT will get him more noticed than scrapping out at the bottom of the league. Plus, if he does decide to stick around after this season at Caley, there's a good chance he'll get European Football - he'll need to weigh up whether that's worth signing such a long contract renewal though.

Players like Stokes come in and use clubs like us or Hearts as either a stepping stone into the OF or back down to England. Young players like Poulsson will undoubtedly use Hibs as a stepping stone to gain match experience.

The SPL is a pretty good league for acting as a "stepping stone", but let's not kid ourselves that it can compete with many other leagues in Europe, including the lure of the Championship, where the money is better and the chance of Premiership beckons some day.

And beside, my initial point was, that if the guy has offers outwith the SPL, I wouldn't understand the motivation in taking a side-step to another SPL club.

Now take your golf clubs, piss off out the house and quite goading me :na na:

H18sry
05-02-2011, 09:14 AM
How much potential do you think there is in the small pond that is the SPL?
You can either chase the money and go to one of the OF, or head down south to try and prove yourself on a much greater stage.

We're on the same stage as ICT, and our aspiration is limited to a UEFA cup run and a cup every now and then. Both more likely to be achieved if you can find a bit of success in England or abroad.

How many players leave the likes of ICT and have won anything in England or abroad, none spring to mind, ICT's ambition is avoiding relegation,Hibs ambition is top 4 UEFA cup and success in cup competitions, so who are the more ambitious club? This season has been a massive blip for us but come next season we will be back fighting for a top 4 place and ICT will be hoping to avoid the drop.

H18sry
05-02-2011, 09:26 AM
The likes of Polsson and Stokes are/were at Hibs to catch the eye of bigger clubs.

Although yeah, Derek Riordan is an example of a player who lacks the ambition to go further in the game. And to say otherwise that is either naivety, or down right denial.

So Riordan leaves Hibs to go to the league champions and that lack ambition :confused: Ok it never worked out for him for one of many reasons no doubt, So he has came back to rebuild his career he has 5 months left before he has to decide if he is ambitious or not :devil:

Ray_
05-02-2011, 09:30 AM
So Riordan leaves Hibs to go to the league champions and that lack ambition :confused: Ok it never worked out for him for one of many reasons no doubt, So he has came back to rebuild his career he has 5 months left before he has to decide if he is ambitious or not :devil:

Could it not be that he has other priorities that he considers more important than moving away from Edinburgh?

Pat Stanton is the best player Hibs player I ever saw & he choose to spend the best part his career at the club, he had ambitions, but they involved Hibs.

greenlex
05-02-2011, 09:34 AM
Can we just get one thing straight here? It's Pallson!!!!! Not Pollson Not Poulson but Pallson. Likethe son of your Pal. Thank you.:greengrin

Part/Time Supporter
05-02-2011, 09:41 AM
Where did I say that? His contract is up at the end of this season and sticking around at a high flying ICT will get him more noticed than scrapping out at the bottom of the league. Plus, if he does decide to stick around after this season at Caley, there's a good chance he'll get European Football - he'll need to weigh up whether that's worth signing such a long contract renewal though.

Players like Stokes come in and use clubs like us or Hearts as either a stepping stone into the OF or back down to England. Young players like Poulsson will undoubtedly use Hibs as a stepping stone to gain match experience.

The SPL is a pretty good league for acting as a "stepping stone", but let's not kid ourselves that it can compete with many other leagues in Europe, including the lure of the Championship, where the money is better and the chance of Premiership beckons some day.

And beside, my initial point was, that if the guy has offers outwith the SPL, I wouldn't understand the motivation in taking a side-step to another SPL club.

Now take your golf clubs, piss off out the house and quite goading me :na na:

Who haven't won in 10 league games (their last win was against Hibs on 20 November). They're still 5th in the league as a result of their good start, but are only one point ahead of 8th placed Motherwell. All the teams immediately below them have games in hand.

I don't think "high-flying" would be the adjective used here if Hibs were having that kind of season.

:wink:

BEEJ
05-02-2011, 09:41 AM
Can we just get one thing straight here? It's Pallson!!!!! Not Pollson Not Poulson but Pallson. Likethe son of your Pal. Thank you.:greengrin
Erm .... no....

It's Palsson!! One 'l' and two 's's.

http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/20110128/palsson-deal-completed_2262950_2279290

:greengrin

J-C
05-02-2011, 09:44 AM

Actually it's Palsson.:greengrin

Re Rooney, the story I heard was Butcher wanted him till the end of the season as he thinks he has a chance of sneaking into the European places, that's why he didn't want to sign him.

Sylar
05-02-2011, 09:46 AM
Who haven't won in 10 league games (their last win was against Hibs on 20 November). They're still 5th in the league as a result of their good start, but are only one point ahead of 8th placed Motherwell. All the teams immediately below them have games in hand.

I don't think "high-flying" would be the adjective used here if Hibs were having that kind of season.

:wink:

Perhaps it's just relative to us, but it certainly feels like they're high flying :greengrin

greenlex
05-02-2011, 09:47 AM
That's what I meant to bloody type!!!!! Yer Pals son
FFS it's gonna be one if those days.:(

500miles
05-02-2011, 09:51 AM

Riordan had other offers on the table. He decided to stay in the goldfish bowl.

He failed and now he's back at Hibs because he knows he'll never have to really raise his game here. When he was leaving Celtic he had the oppertunity to prove himself at a higher level than Hibs, but would rather go with what was easy and safe.

The Falcon
05-02-2011, 09:59 AM
Could it not be that he has other priorities that he considers more important than moving away from Edinburgh?

Pat Stanton is the best player Hibs player I ever saw & he choose to spend the best part his career at the club, he had ambitions, but they involved Hibs.

As did Lawrie Reilly and in those days Hibs in particular, and Scottish Football in general, were vehicles with which they could realise their ambitions and achieve personal wealth comparable with elsewhere, to a degree at least. In the time of Tunrbull and Tom Hart Hibs paid very close to the highest wages in Scotland which compared reasonably well with other countries.

But the world is a very different place now and when you see Chelseas published accounts its gone mad. In todays market we would be lucky to hold on to Stanton for six months. Riordan has moved and didnt like it so I hope he stays. Alternatively I do believe, comparing his abilities to those of his peers, he is worth more than a lot of his fellow pro's employed elsewhere.

Ray_
05-02-2011, 10:02 AM
Riordan had other offers on the table. He decided to stay in the goldfish bowl.

He failed and now he's back at Hibs because he knows he'll never have to really raise his game here. When he was leaving Celtic he had the oppertunity to prove himself at a higher level than Hibs, but would rather go with what was easy and safe.

What have you done in your life so that it makes you you feel that you can judge that DR failed at Celtic? I thought it was more to do with a clash with the manager than the lack of ability!! From what I saw, quite a number of the Tic support weren't too happy with the decision to let Riordan go.

Ray_
05-02-2011, 10:07 AM
As did Lawrie Reilly and in those days Hibs in particular, and Scottish Football in general, were vehicles with which they could realise their ambitions and achieve personal wealth comparable with elsewhere, to a degree at least. In the time of Tunrbull and Tom Hart Hibs paid very close to the highest wages in Scotland which compared reasonably well with other countries.

But the world is a very different place now and when you see Chelseas published accounts its gone mad. In todays market we would be lucky to hold on to Stanton for six months.

For George Best, fair enough, but certainly not the rest of the squad. Stanton would have earned far more from his career if he had moved on from Hibs at a younger age.

Removed
05-02-2011, 10:30 AM
Actually it's Palsson.:greengrin

:faf: curse of the iphone again

Palsson is a hard one to spell like de graff :agree:

Reaper
05-02-2011, 11:04 AM
Some interesting posts. Hope it's true, can't see it though.

TornadoHibby
05-02-2011, 11:04 AM

De Graaf actually! :wink: :greengrin

Removed
05-02-2011, 11:07 AM
De Graaf actually! :wink: :greengrin

Exactly. Proves my point :wink:

Keith_M
05-02-2011, 11:09 AM
That's what I meant to bloody type!!!!! Yer Pals son
FFS it's gonna be one if those days.:(

But my pal's son is called Derek?

I'm sure that's not his name, is it?

:dunno:

IWasThere2016
05-02-2011, 11:16 AM

No one on here has seen better .. there is no better! Sir Patrick :not worth

500miles
05-02-2011, 11:16 AM
What have you done in your life so that it makes you you feel that you can judge that DR failed at Celtic? I thought it was more to do with a clash with the manager than the lack of ability!! From what I saw, quite a number of the Tic support weren't too happy with the decision to let Riordan go.

He didn't play regularly, even as a sub, didn't score lots of goals, and the only medals he picked up were as an unused sub in the Scottish Cup Final, making about as much of a success at Celtic as Simon Brown was at Hibs. In fact, probably less, because Simon Brown made more first team appearances for us.

He may have a league winners medal, but I would be suprised if he made enough appearances to qualify for one, unless being an unused sub counts.

But this thread isn't about Derek Riordan, and now that I'm done defending my post, I'm not going to turn it into a thread bashing him either.

500miles
05-02-2011, 11:18 AM

Different era, totally impossible to make proper comparisons with modern football.

snooky
05-02-2011, 11:23 AM

Stanton? That huddie! He couldny lace Edwin's bits, IMO.

:devil:

Sir PS :not worth

WeAreHibs
05-02-2011, 11:40 AM
Doesn't the whole thing just revert back to the problems in Scottish Football though? No-one actually believes that they can take on the OF, so we're always going to be 3rd best at best. At least Vlad tried to shake it up a bit, and look where they ended up financially, which has probably scared any other potential investors in pumping money into clubs to see what we can do. This is probably why Rod/Farmer have the policies in place that cause us to suffer from time to time and why clubs punt their best players off to them.

So if these problems start at the top, how can we expect or ridicule players for lack of ambition. Maybe Deek genuinely wants to see us improve and be battling up at the top which is why he came back, when we were doing well, and continues to stay. More of this mentality please.

Wouldnt it be great if the finances were split on a more even basis and allowing clubs outside the OF to compete more and then the ambitions may be better realised and possibly achieved?! It will never happen though. :rolleyes:

7Hero
05-02-2011, 11:54 AM
We're a bigger club than ICT with more potential and resources and are likely to perform better than ICT over a longer period than to the end of the season. There may be better options for him than Hibs but coming to Hibs wouldn't show lack of ambition.

we certainly are not likely to perform better than ICT when playing them in inverness...

Sad thing is they are probably paying him more than our tight board..

The Falcon
05-02-2011, 12:11 PM
For George Best, fair enough, but certainly not the rest of the squad. Stanton would have earned far more from his career if he had moved on from Hibs at a younger age.

George Best excepted Hibs paid well at the time, relative to others. While Stanton could have possibly been better rewarded elsewhere the differential would not have been as significant as it is today, not even close. Perhaps the whole hassle of the upheaval would not have been worth it?

However we are agreed that in todays market Stanton would have been priceless.

FromTheCapital
05-02-2011, 12:22 PM

Were having a bad season but are you saying that last season you'd have said that.

Hibs are one of the biggest teams in Britain outside English teams obviously if you look at our weird history.....

DH1875
05-02-2011, 01:00 PM
we certainly are not likely to perform better than ICT when playing them in inverness...

Correct. They have offered him close on £5k to stay. No way we are going to match that so no chance he will come to us.

Wheat Hound
05-02-2011, 01:54 PM
Anyhoo, I think Rooney must be waiting till the end of the season before he makes his mind up. However, his own form has tailed off lately and he may worry that interest in him may similarly tail off and thus he may have looked to ensure a move in January by signing a precon with us. Wishful thinking, I know.

ScottB
05-02-2011, 02:38 PM

Enough with the tight Board claptrap, 4th biggest wage budget in the Division says different.

Correct. They have offered him close on £5k to stay. No way we are going to match that so no chance he will come to us.

Proof? He's a good player for sure, but for £5k a week we could get better.

DH1875
05-02-2011, 03:42 PM

Butcher and their chairman have both staited that he has been offered the best deal in ICT history to stay. When they signed the Romanian bloke a few years ago there was an out cry cause they had broke their wage structure. He was on £5k a week so if Rooney is to be their higgest ever earner it would suggest he's got to have been offered the same if not more :dunno:.

ScottB
05-02-2011, 04:20 PM
Butcher and their chairman have both staited that he has been offered the best deal in ICT history to stay. When they signed the Romanian bloke a few years ago there was an out cry cause they had broke their wage structure. He was on £5k a week so if Rooney is to be their higgest ever earner it would suggest he's got to have been offered the same if not more :dunno:.

Wasn't he paid directly by a Director rather than the club itself?

If they pay him £5k a week for say 2 years it would cost them over half a million quid, doubt they'd be able to get that for him as a transfer fee so it seems unlikely. More fool them if they are willing to pay that!

RickyS
05-02-2011, 04:25 PM
Enough with the tight Board claptrap, 4th biggest wage budget in the Division says different.

bit harsh?:greengrin

DH1875
05-02-2011, 04:52 PM

They said that at the time to try and stop all thy other players wanting more cash but when he took them to court it turned out the club were paying £5k. I think maybe the director also paid 1k or 2k on top of that but I cant see ICT going that far.
Either way you look at it they had a player on at least £5k, so for Rooney to become the highest paid player ever at the club he has to have been offered at least £5k.

Reaper
05-02-2011, 04:55 PM

I'd like Rooney but I agree with this statement.

Beefster
05-02-2011, 05:04 PM

If they pay him £5k a week for say 2 years it would cost them over half a million quid, doubt they'd be able to get that for him as a transfer fee so it seems unlikely. More fool them if they are willing to pay that!

I think some Hibs fans may find this hard to believe but what a footballer is paid in wages isn't always about what he's going to bring in eventually as a transfer fee. Some football directors use this crazy idea that a wage should reflect his contribution/value to the success of the football club.

Who cares if he brings in the right transfer fee for ICT as long as he's banging them in, the club is being successful as a result and they can afford it?

ScottB
05-02-2011, 05:20 PM
I think some Hibs fans may find this hard to believe but what a footballer is paid in wages isn't always about what he's going to bring in eventually as a transfer fee. Some football directors use this crazy idea that a wage should reflect his contribution/value to the success of the football club.

Who cares if he brings in the right transfer fee for ICT as long as he's banging them in, the club is being successful as a result and they can afford it?

He can score all the goals he likes, but if he's bleeding the club dry in the process, is that a good thing? Do you think ICT could afford to be paying out quarter a million a year to just one player? I'd wager that would be a massive chunk of their wage budget, I doubt if their whole squad ears much more than a million a year as it stands.

Resale value isn't everything, but if you're gonna pay top dollar to someone then ideally you should be looking to make a profit at the end, all players will leave sooner or later after all, and ICT are unlikely to get big bids for a player regardless of who they are.

IWasThere2016
05-02-2011, 05:36 PM

Under no circumstances have ICT offered Rooney 250k a season IMO.

sahib
05-02-2011, 06:08 PM

:agree: Well said. We could get another couple of board members for that.

Andy74
05-02-2011, 06:08 PM

Never read such nonsense!

The Falcon
05-02-2011, 06:51 PM
Under no circumstances have ICT offered Rooney 250k a season IMO.

I agree. IMO.

Cropley10
05-02-2011, 06:58 PM

How do you know we could get better :confused: How do you know who is available and what they cost?

We were going to offer Webster £6k per game

Also our wage budget includes our talented Board.

greenlex
05-02-2011, 07:08 PM

Shut it you. I have just about had enough of you. :dummytit: :greengrin

ancient hibee
05-02-2011, 07:17 PM
If the 10 club SPL comes in the season after next it'll presumably mean 3 clubs being relegated next season.It is obviously good business for ICT to pay Rooney £150K(say)more than he is getting now if his goals keep them in the SPL.

Beefster
05-02-2011, 09:02 PM
He can score all the goals he likes, but if he's bleeding the club dry in the process, is that a good thing? Do you think ICT could afford to be paying out quarter a million a year to just one player? I'd wager that would be a massive chunk of their wage budget, I doubt if their whole squad ears much more than a million a year as it stands.

Resale value isn't everything, but if you're gonna pay top dollar to someone then ideally you should be looking to make a profit at the end, all players will leave sooner or later after all, and ICT are unlikely to get big bids for a player regardless of who they are.

What if they think that Rooney will keep them in the SPL and possibly even a European place or cup run with all the money that these bring in (i.e. higher in the SPL = more cash, cup run = more cash, European place = more SPL prize money and more)?

Sometimes you have to think beyond the eventual sale to 'is he value for money in what he can potentially do for the club'. If I thought that a player would be integral in bringing success to Hibs, I'd have no problem with the board giving him big wages and cutting the squad by a player or two to pay for it. If any other, by definition less important, player wasn't happy - they can go.

PS I don't believe the £5k a week figure anyway but there's no doubt that ICT are pushing the boat out to try and keep him.

ScottB
05-02-2011, 09:28 PM
How do you know we could get better :confused: How do you know who is available and what they cost?

Well obviously not, but let's compare that £5k a week to the amount we pay say, Deeks, or how much we got Stokes for, how much Fletch and O'Connor were on before leaving? I'd imagine less than that.

What I meant was, £5k a week is a lot of cash for the non Old Firm / Tynecastle based financial bampot clubs, Rooney is a good player for sure, but not worth such top dollar for me, sure he scored a couple today, but his long recent barren spell shows he's hardly top drawer for me.

What if they think that Rooney will keep them in the SPL and possibly even a European place or cup run with all the money that these bring in (i.e. higher in the SPL = more cash, cup run = more cash, European place = more SPL prize money and more)?

Sometimes you have to think beyond the eventual sale to 'is he value for money in what he can potentially do for the club'. If I thought that a player would be integral in bringing success to Hibs, I'd have no problem with the board giving him big wages and cutting the squad by a player or two to pay for it. If any other, by definition less important, player wasn't happy - they can go.

PS I don't believe the £5k a week figure anyway but there's no doubt that ICT are pushing the boat out to try and keep him.

Well yes and no, for one thing is there some vast pot of riches for finishing 5th than say 7th? I'm not sure SPL prize money is all that much to write home about. The question would be, for that £5k a week they could probably bring in 3 other decent players, would that be better or worse for their chances for survival? As we've seen so far this year, Rooney is as likely as anybody else to go into a sustained drop in form, this would be putting all their eggs in the one proverbial basket.

And secondly, if you have a wage structure at a club, then you noticeably break it massively for one player surely you risk squad harmony? Now maybe it would be doable if you were bringing in someone of unquestionable talent that nobody in the squad could get away with thinking 'I'm better than him' (footballers are afterall, pretty egotistical in some cases at least!), say if we were bringing in Sauzee just now. Would the rest of the ICT squad be happy with Rooney earning more than 5 times what they probably do?

DH1875
06-02-2011, 01:54 PM
Never read such nonsense!

So you saying that Butcher and their chairman have both lied?

ScottB
06-02-2011, 02:51 PM
So you saying that Butcher and their chairman have both lied?

Why not, plenty folk on here seem reluctant to believe anything out manager or Board say about players / transfers / contracts etc.

Iggy Pope
06-02-2011, 04:17 PM

Honestly, where does bollox like this come from?
I have dealt with Petrie on a business basis and with **** all to do with football. He wouldn't admit to farting never mind reveal contract initiatives.

I've never met anyone connected with ICT other than supporting them, but I conclude you both talk out of yer erse.

Kaiser1962
06-02-2011, 06:27 PM
Honestly, where does bollox like this come from?
I have dealt with Petrie on a business basis and with **** all to do with football. He wouldn't admit to farting never mind reveal contract initiatives.

I've never met anyone connected with ICT other than supporting them, but I conclude you both talk out of yer erse.

Harsh but fair.:greengrin

Part/Time Supporter
06-02-2011, 07:14 PM
worth every penny (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/scotland/9388966.stm)

El Gubbz
07-02-2011, 08:06 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/scotland/9388966.stm
Sitter

Cod Boy
07-02-2011, 11:41 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/scotland/9388966.stm
Sitter

give it a rest ffs rooney missed a sitter any excuse to start a thread on nish

Billychaotic182
07-02-2011, 01:20 PM
agreed

Jim44
07-02-2011, 02:08 PM
Shades of Iwelumo in that miss by Rooney.

easty
07-02-2011, 02:12 PM
Shades of Iwelumo in that miss by Rooney.

Shades of Stephen Hawking more like...:rolleyes:

El Gubbz
07-02-2011, 02:17 PM

agreed

Did I hit a nerve? Sorry forgot that uber fans no longer have a sense of humour. :taxi

easty
07-02-2011, 02:24 PM
Did I hit a nerve? Sorry forgot that uber fans no longer have a sense of humour. :taxi

I know.....wheres the "wearing a "Frankie Says Relax" t-shirt" smiley when you need one?? :na na:

Brooster
07-02-2011, 03:17 PM
ICT have offered him nowhere near £5k a week and Hibs have offered him even less than ICT.

easty
07-02-2011, 03:28 PM
ICT have offered him nowhere near £5k a week and Hibs have offered him even less than ICT.

I would never have belived they would offer him £5k a week, he's a good player but they could get 2-3 players in for those wages.

Not surprised that we are the cheap option though.

MacBean
07-02-2011, 03:34 PM

A High Flying ICT that haven't won in the SPL since November 20th when they beat us 4-2?

Moulin Yarns
08-02-2011, 01:40 PM

Arthur Duncan :agree: :na na:

More games than Paddy or anybody else for that matter, and what a tache, and remember he scored the winner in the 1979 Cup final :wink:

Speedway
08-02-2011, 01:41 PM
About a half an hour after the Celtic game in January I got a text from a mate to say he had just been on Hibs official website and there was a headline about us having signed Adam Rooney on a pre-contract. Minutes later the headline had apparently disappeared.

Thought it was a load of cr@p at the time and not thought much more about it since then but is there a chance that AR has signed for us on a pre-contract and it is being kept quiet for obvious reasons?

Here's the most recent artcle I can find on the 'net:

http://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/Article.aspx/2120846

Hibs are mentioned and the comment about us not having made a bid could well mean that no bid was made to make him a Hibs player in January.

Maybe I'm hopeposting but fingers crossed:wink:

That never happened, your mate's at the wind up.

Dr Jimmy
08-02-2011, 02:13 PM

More games than Paddy or anybody else for that matter, and what a tache, and remember he scored the winner in the 1979 Cup final :wink:

Ouch, he was my favourite player when I was but a lad, even forgave him this. Doubt I would ever be so forgiving again.

Hibs On Tour
08-02-2011, 08:51 PM
From SPL website:
Revenue distribution

+ All revenues generated by the SPL are effectively put into one pot. This money comes from TV deals and other commercial contracts.

+ A support payment to the SFL and parachute payments to recently relegated clubs are then removed. All associated costs of running the SPL are also deducted.

+ The remaining amount is split two ways to the member clubs: 48% is divided equally between all 12 clubs while 52% is distributed to teams dependant upon their final league position.

+ The higher up the table that a club finishes, the more money they will receive - see table below. For season 2007/08, more than £18m was paid out to SPL clubs.

League position - % of cash pot

1 - 4% + 13% = 17%
2 - 4% + 11% = 15%
3 - 4% + 5.5% = 9.5%
4 - 4% + 4.5% = 8.5%
5 - 4% + 4.0% = 8.0%
6 - 4% + 3.5% = 7.5%
7 - 4% + 3.0% = 7.0%
8 - 4% + 2.5% = 6.5%
9 - 4% + 2.0% = 6.0%
10 - 4% + 1.5% = 5.5%
11 - 4% + 1.0% = 5.0%
12 - 4% + 0.5% = 4.5%

You'll have to excuse the figures - blame the SPL who can't it seems even update their website! :) Now even if ALL the above quoted £18m were the remaining balance of the 52% part of the overall sum [which I don't believe for a second] that would mean that to cover the fabled £250k, a club would need to finish at least 3 players higher each season due to that players efforts.

I don't think theres ANY club in the SPL - bar the OF or the afflicted across the city - that would do that, never mind ICT. Nae chance.

But then again, that's talking about it as if its an EXTRA £250k pa for this lad. Who's to say he's not already on £200k pa? If that were the case, its only an extra £50k or £1k a week. Not as big a gamble then is it?... 1 place is gonna be what £60k+ of a difference? Makes you think...

Anyhoo - he's no here and as far as anyone knows has signed **** all for us. If it goes to the summer and he's still scoring we have snowballs chance of getting him. ENDOF.

IWasThere2016
08-02-2011, 08:53 PM

He would be THE legend if he really had! Could be the closest thing we ever see, D! :boo hoo: