PDA

View Full Version : Skoda

sleeping giant
04-02-2011, 08:36 PM
I'm due for a new company motor soon and the choice is not very good !!

Skoda Octavia
Skoda Greenline
Ford Focus
Renault Meganne

The Skoda Greenline looks the best of a bad bunch but its a Skoda :greengrin

Anyone got one of these or driven one ?

The Focus is boring and the Meganne is ugly.

Currently have a Mazda 6 which i would recommend to anyone but its not on the list this year.

The greenline is the cheaper tax option.

I get the car and full fuel allowance.

Any ideas ?

Removed
04-02-2011, 08:40 PM
I wouldn't worry about getting a skoda if that was my choices. If you took the badge out the steering wheel you would be hard pressed to say it wasn't a vw.

Just snobbery to mock. On top gear the other week Clarkson was gushing in praise over the skoda yeti

sleeping giant
04-02-2011, 08:43 PM
I wouldn't worry about getting a skoda if that was my choices. If you took the badge out the steering wheel you would be hard pressed to say it wasn't a vw.

Just snobbery to mock. On top gear the other week Clarkson was gushing in praise over the skoda yeti

These wont be top of the range though.
Usual stuff ,AC and alloys etc but no 7 speed gearbox or turbo versions.
It will also be a diesel !!!

Houchy
04-02-2011, 08:44 PM
I'd say the Octavia. Don't know much about the greenline.

Yes it's a Skoda but not such a stigma attached to them these days.

Exact same engine as an Audi or a Volkswagen. The only difference being the interior and ride is slightly inferior.

The Focus may be ok also. I have a Mondeo 2.0 Ghia and find it comparable to the BMW 318D that I had before that.:agree:

Just notice that you said diesel. I'd definately go for a Skoda as I've had an Audi A4 1.9TDI before and loved it. As I say, same engine but slightly inferior interior.

sleeping giant
04-02-2011, 08:46 PM
I'd say the Octavia. Don't know much about the greenline.

Yes it's a Skoda but not such a stigma attached to them these days.

Exact same engine as an Audi or a Volkswagen. The only difference being the interior and ride is slightly inferior.

The Focus may be ok also. I have a Mondeo 2.0 Ghia and find it comparable to the BMW 318D that I had before that.:agree:

The other thing is the Focus has 115bhp and the Skodas have 103bhp.:rolleyes:
My Mazda has about 165 !

Removed
04-02-2011, 08:49 PM
These wont be top of the range though.
Usual stuff ,AC and alloys etc but no 7 speed gearbox or turbo versions.
It will also be a diesel !!!

Is that not because it's a job need car as opposed to luxury perk?

Don't knock the diesel, I'm switching back from petrol in a few weeks. Sick of getting only 300 miles from £65 of unleaded and a turbo drinking oil nearly as fast.

Houchy
04-02-2011, 08:50 PM
My Mazda has about 165 !

Ahh, Skoda's a lot heavier too so you'll probably find it well sluggish:agree:.

Removed
04-02-2011, 08:51 PM
My Mazda has about 165 !

:faf: 103

My bike has well over 160 :greengrin

sleeping giant
04-02-2011, 08:54 PM
Is that not because it's a job need car as opposed to luxury perk?

Don't knock the diesel, I'm switching back from petrol in a few weeks. Sick of getting only 300 miles from £65 of unleaded and a turbo drinking oil nearly as fast.

My Mazda is a diesel and goes like **** :agree:
I get about 500 miles a tank full. Takes about £74 to fill it.
Easily get up and down to Newcastle twice on one tank.
Shifts anaw likes :agree::greengrin

Its needed for work:agree: Ive done 70000 miles in 2 years !

sleeping giant
04-02-2011, 08:58 PM
:faf: 103

My bike has well over 160 :greengrin

Dinny laugh man , serious issue !

I'm gutted ! Had to moan like **** to get them to let me get a hatch rather than an estate.

:no way:

Removed
04-02-2011, 09:00 PM
Dinny laugh man , serious issue !

I'm gutted ! Had to moan like **** to get them to let me get a hatch rather than an estate.

:no way:

Am getting a diesel with 170 :thumbsup:

:na na:

What spec is the focus?

sleeping giant
04-02-2011, 09:02 PM
Am getting a diesel with 170 :thumbsup:

:na na:

Tosser :greengrin

Andy Bee
04-02-2011, 10:07 PM
The Skoda is dyre without a turbo, moan like **** again and ask them to up it to the turbo version :agree:

GhostofBolivar
04-02-2011, 11:22 PM
:rolleyes:

The economy contracted last quarter; unemployment's hovering just under 8%; public spending's getting slashed; and someone's getting a company car that isn't specced out, merely functional.

Aye, it's a disgrace.

sleeping giant
04-02-2011, 11:43 PM

The economy contracted last quarter; unemployment's hovering just under 8%; public spending's getting slashed; and someone's getting a company car that isn't specced out, merely functional.

Aye, it's a disgrace.

:hilarious

Removed
04-02-2011, 11:45 PM

Ma new car is fully loaded, xenon, bose, quattro the lot. That's a total disgrace :agree:

:greengrin

Andy Bee
05-02-2011, 12:03 AM
Ma new car is fully loaded, xenon, bose, quattro the lot. That's a total disgrace :agree:

:greengrin

That is a total disgrace :bitchy:, I had to shell out my own hard earned for my Jag, mon the recession.

.Sean.
05-02-2011, 11:44 AM

Aye, it's a disgrace.
Wholeheartedly agree.

So, Sleeping Giant, you're still in full-time employment unlike many, you're getting a brand-new car for free, and you're also not paying to fill the tank?

Quit your whining and have a look at the bigger picture eh.

Removed
05-02-2011, 12:08 PM
Wholeheartedly agree.

So, Sleeping Giant, you're still in full-time employment unlike many, you're getting a brand-new car for free, and you're also not paying to fill the tank?

Eh, far from free. He'll have a leasing payment and benefit in kind.

Andy Bee
05-02-2011, 12:39 PM
Wholeheartedly agree.

In doing 35k miles a year he's spending half his working life in the car, it's a work tool, why not try and get the best he can, no different than trying to get a decent office chair IMO

Removed
05-02-2011, 12:41 PM
In doing 35k miles a year he's spending half his working life in the car, it's a work tool, why not try and get the best he can, no different than trying to get a decent office chair IMO

:agree: and you don't get taxed on an office chair :grr:

Lucius Apuleius
05-02-2011, 01:14 PM
:agree: and you don't get taxed on an office chair :grr:

Thought you only did that at school to the teacher?

Oh, taxed not tacksed. :greengrin

sleeping giant
05-02-2011, 04:19 PM
Wholeheartedly agree.

Yes i am in full time employment and have been since i left school. Yes my work NEED to provide me with a car for me to perform my duties.

The car is benefit in kind. I pay a fair bit in tax for the benefit of using it for personal use. Even though i don't pay up front for fuel, i get taxed on that benefit too as i do with a few other benefits.

This is all part of my financial package.

You say i need to see the bigger picture. Whats that then.
I know how much my company makes from each job i do. I know how many extra jobs i do year on year. I know the company is showing growth.
Why shouldnt i try to get the best package i can.

Its not my fault other people are unemployed:confused:

Anyway , the thread was about opinions on a Skoda. Where you trying to go with this ?

H18SScottW
05-02-2011, 05:17 PM
Maybe he's suggesting you show some 'Focus' :wink:

Seriously though, everyone has their own perception of 'the bigger picture' and it's easy to say "Ah, you're getting a 'free' motor, just be grateful for whatever it is" but you're creating an impression in said motor, require it to be updated for reliability etc and, ultimately, are generating business thereby keeping others within the company in employment.

FWIW don't discount a Ford Focus. I have a Mazda 6, happy enough with it but probably wouldn't buy another, and on holiday in Italy last year got a Focus TDCi as a hire car and was very impressed with all aspects: drive, handling, accelleration, comfort, interior space et al.

--------
06-02-2011, 12:04 PM

Aye, it's a disgrace.

:agree:

He's got a job, he's getting a company car; he's even getting a choice.

It's a hard, hard, world. :rolleyes:

Peevemor
06-02-2011, 12:25 PM
I'd go for the Mégane - a few of my mates drive them and they're good reliable motors.

Pretty *****y too depending on the model. :agree:

Removed
06-02-2011, 12:49 PM
I'd go for the Mégane - a few of my mates drive them and they're good reliable motors.

Pretty *****y too depending on the model. :agree:

Is that not cos you live in France :wink:

Every French motor I have driven is pish. My wife has a Peugeot 308 and I refuse to get in it.

SG has his image to think of :cool2: Surely a megane is a girls car anyway :agree:

Peevemor
06-02-2011, 01:04 PM
Is that not cos you live in France :wink:

Every French motor I have driven is pish. My wife has a Peugeot 308 and I refuse to get in it.

SG has his image to think of :cool2: Surely a megane is a girls car anyway :agree:

I have no problems with either of our cars - both French thankyouverymuch.

Our wee car, a daft Renault Twingo which I use to go to and from work is now 17 years old. I've been thinking about changing it for 3 or 4 years now, especially with the some of the recent incentives to scrap old cars for new. However, the thing just keeps going on almost zero maintenance. A mechanic pal services it for next to nothing and then there's the usual tyres, brakes, etc. - in the six years that I've had the car, including the purchase price but excluding petrol, I reckon it's cost me the equivalent of £7-8 per week.

It could probably be classed a a burd'z car, but for that outlay I don't give a toss.

easty
07-02-2011, 02:09 PM

I've got the office chair I was given, they didn't give me any choice, it's not even got arm rests....

I dunno how many miles a year it does but I do like a good chair ride around the office so I'd say it does quite a lot compared to an average office chair, I'd probably reccomend it.....:greengrin

Peevemor
07-02-2011, 02:15 PM
I've got the office chair I was given, they didn't give me any choice, it's not even got arm rests....

I dunno how many miles a year it does but I do like a good chair ride around the office so I'd say it does quite a lot compared to an average office chair, I'd probably reccomend it.....:greengrin

But does it have a pneumatic height adjustment lever? If not, you just look silly when you make submarine noises and shout "dive, dive, dive". :tsk tsk:

easty
07-02-2011, 02:26 PM
But does it have a pneumatic height adjustment lever? If not, you just look silly when you make submarine noises and shout "dive, dive, dive". :tsk tsk:

It has two levers, one for making the submarine go down and one for launching torpeedos at those bloody Russians!:devil:

JimBHibees
07-02-2011, 03:06 PM
Had an Octavia 1.9tdi ambiente estate on a 3 year work lease and cant really have any complaints. Have done about 40 odd thousand miles in the 3 years and it has done the job, nothing spectacular but reasonable to drive and relatively fuel efficient (full tank about 650 miles). Not a car junkie so not sure how it marks against others but a decent work car IMO.

Peevemor
07-02-2011, 03:09 PM
Had an Octavia 1.9tdi ambiente estate on a 3 year work lease and cant really have any complaints. Have done about 40 odd thousand miles in the 3 years and it has done the job, nothing spectacular but reasonable to drive and relatively fuel efficient (full tank about 650 miles). Not a car junkie so not sure how it marks against others but a decent work car IMO.

How is it for submarine effects?

Removed
07-04-2011, 09:28 PM
I'm due for a new company motor soon and the choice is not very good !!

Skoda Octavia
Skoda Greenline
Ford Focus
Renault Meganne

The Skoda Greenline looks the best of a bad bunch but its a Skoda :greengrin

Anyone got one of these or driven one ?

The Focus is boring and the Meganne is ugly.

Currently have a Mazda 6 which i would recommend to anyone but its not on the list this year.

The greenline is the cheaper tax option.

I get the car and full fuel allowance.

Any ideas ?

You made a choice yet? I got my new one a couple of weeks ago.

48mpg so far and 4wd :thumbsup:

sleeping giant
07-04-2011, 09:32 PM
You made a choice yet? I got my new one a couple of weeks ago.

48mpg so far and 4wd :thumbsup:

After a wee bit of moaning i got a Mondeo 2 weeks ago. I'm pretty pleased with it tbh compared to what i was offered:aok:

1.8 TDCi Edge plus. Not as quick as the mazda but pretty decent to drive.

Removed
07-04-2011, 09:36 PM
After a wee bit of moaning i got a Mondeo 2 weeks ago. I'm pretty pleased with it tbh compared to what i was offered:aok:

Result if it's better than the original list :smokin

easty
08-04-2011, 08:42 AM
I'm still in the same seat. Tried a black one when we moved rooms, but it's not true what they say cos once I went black I did indeed go back.

So I've stuck with my trusty blue office chair with two levers, no arm rests, but good suspension and I'd give it 9/10 for pretending to be in a submarine.:greengrin

sleeping giant
08-04-2011, 10:17 AM
I'm still in the same seat. Tried a black one when we moved rooms, but it's not true what they say cos once I went black I did indeed go back.

So I've stuck with my trusty blue office chair with two levers, no arm rests, but good suspension and I'd give it 9/10 for pretending to be in a submarine.:greengrin

Peevemor
08-04-2011, 11:09 AM

:thumbsup: