PDA

View Full Version : NHC Gary Neville announces retirement

Sir David Gray
03-02-2011, 10:57 PM
I'm a bit surprised that this hasn't been mentioned yet, after it was announced last night.

Whilst it's definitely the correct decision and he's certainly past his best, for almost 15 years Gary Neville was one of the best, if not the best, full back in English football.

And in the current climate when the professional footballer rarely shows even the slightest bit of loyalty to the club that he plays for, Neville was one of those rare breeds who devoted his entire career to playing for one club.

Gary Neville is one of the all-time greats of Manchester Utd and will go down in history as one of its greatest ever captains.

I'm quite sure that if you were to ask a Manchester Utd fan to name the biggest club legends of all time, Gary Neville's name would be included on a very exclusive list.

He'll almost certainly have a job for life waiting for him at Old Trafford, if he ever decides to go into coaching.

Gary Neville is a red....:thumbsup:

Removed
03-02-2011, 10:59 PM
I'm a bit surprised that this hasn't been mentioned yet, after it was announced last night.

Maybe cos Hibs were playing :greengrin

And 99 per cent of us don't give a toss about Man u :yawn:

And it's dead easy to "devote" your life to one club if you get mega bucks and win a few trophies. More like nae ambition :devil:

GreenCastle
03-02-2011, 11:04 PM
Pretty interesting read below - From Oliver Kay at the Times via Twitter
.................................................. .................................................. .....
There was, it is fair to say, a lively response last night when, in tribute to Gary Neville, I called him "one of world football's great overachievers", adding "If that sounds like damning with faint praise, it really isn't."

And it isn't. It's an enormous tribute to a guy who, as a good friend of his reminded me this morning, started out as a midfielder and realised in the company of Scholes, Beckham and others that he wasn't good enough to play there. He moved to centre-back and was told he wasn't tall enough to play there. He moved to right-back and found himself up against John O'Kane, who was quicker, stronger and, as he saw it, more gifted.

I suggested last night that Glen Johnson and Micah Richards were "more gifted than Neville ever was, but Neville's attitude made him a far better player." That went down pretty well ... My point is that Johnson and Richards, like O'Kane, were born with the technical/physical gifts to play at the highest level and are falling short, i.e. underachieving. To my mind -- and his own -- Neville wasn't born with those gifts, so he had to work harder, in my view, than any other modern English footballer to achieve what he has done. To me, that constitutes overachievement.

People cited Neville's world-class crossing as an example of what a STUPID C*** I must be. Sorry, but that too was the product of hard work. Watching Neville in the 90s, he was never anything like as good a crosser as he became. By his own admission, that is something that he had to develop later in his career because there was a trend towards more attacking right-backs. You might not believe this, but a link with Hatem Trabelsi (he who bombed at Man City) was what taught him he had to work relentlessly on his crossing. Over time, he became an extremely good crosser, but it was not because it was something at which he was gifted.

Neville's gifts were his intelligence, his desire and his work ethic. They gave him the attitude to identify his limitations and work endlessly to improve in area he could. He couldn't make himself taller or quicker, so he worked on his stamina and his upper-body strength. He even, as Lee Sharpe said a little scoffingly in his autobiography, practised his throw-ins.

Neville did not set out to be a top-class full-back. Who does? He felt that, because of his limitations, it was the only position in which he could try to carve out a career at United, the only club he ever wanted to play for. He could have stayed in central defence or in midfield, but not at United. And he certainly wouldn't have 85 caps -- it would have been far more but for injury -- as a midfielder (though I fancy he would have had more chance than most English players of developing the skils to play in the holding role that is now en vogue).

There is an art to great defending, but to a large extent the required skills -- positioning, marking, tackling -- are either self-taught or coached. You might say it is the same of every position. I would disagree; Paul Scholes and Ryan Giggs were born with the technical ability and creative flair to excel in what they do.

Those areas -- intelligence, positioning, marking, tackling -- are the ones in which Johnson and Richards remain hopeless, which is why I said (and many people ignored) that, despite their gifts, they are far inferior players to Neville. A more interesting case to monitor is Rafael. He has far more of the raw physical/technical materials than Neville. Time will tell whether he can be anything like as good a full-back.

Is overachiever an insult? Did people think that, because we're talking about a team sport, I was calling him a useless player who won medals because he played in a brilliant team? That is not how he sees the term "overachiever". Nor is it how the word is seen by Frank Lampard, another who has worked phenomenally hard to elevate himself to the top echelons of the game.

As Lampard put it when I interview him a few months ago, "When I was 15, I was decent, but I was a bit chubby. There were better players than me in West Ham’s youth team. There was a boy, Michael Black, who played in my Sunday team. He was the bee’s knees. He didn’t quite kick on. There was Lee Hodges, who was at West Ham and is still a good friend of mine. He got injuries that halted his progress. But there are countless ones I could name just from my Sunday and school teams and I always felt that I had to find a way to be better than them."

That could easily be Neville talking. In fact, in an interview with The Times over a decade ago, Neville said: "When I was 14, I was average among players. was just a sub for my county team, Greater Manchester. Nicky Butt, my brother, Phil, David Beckham, John O'Kane, Keith Gillespie and Ben Thornley were all playing for national teams. They were the stars. They were playing for their country at schoolboy level and I thought they were the bee's knees. I was nothing like that and I realised when I was 16 that if I did not give it my all, then I wouldn't have a chance."

That is the point. Gillespie, Thornley and O'Kane underachieved in their careers. Nicky Butt and Phil Neville achieved. Giggs and Scholes became the world-class players they were always destined to be. Beckham? That's another debate entirely ...

And Gary Neville? A fantastic overachiever. An average midfielder who became a too-small central defender who, over time, became a top-class full-back. Not through innate talent, but through the attitude, desire and hard work which, ultimately, made him a far more talented player than he could ever have imagined in his teens. That has been a common theme in the tributes from Sir Alex Ferguson, Steve Bruce, Arsene Wenger and many others. As well as that, it is how he regards himself.

Congratulations, Gary Neville, on a great career. You were a world-class overachiever, an example to young footballers everywhere.

iwasthere1972
03-02-2011, 11:10 PM

Whilst it's definitely the correct decision and he's certainly past his best, for almost 15 years Gary Neville was one of the best, if not the best, full back in English football.

And in the current climate when the professional footballer rarely shows even the slightest bit of loyalty to the club that he plays for, Neville was one of those rare breeds who devoted his entire career to playing for one club.

Gary Neville is one of the all-time greats of Manchester Utd and will go down in history as one of its greatest ever captains.

I'm quite sure that if you were to ask a Manchester Utd fan to name the biggest club legends of all time, Gary Neville's name would be included on a very exclusive list.

He'll almost certainly have a job for life waiting for him at Old Trafford, if he ever decides to go into coaching.

Gary Neville is a red....:thumbsup:

I know he was a right back but it's hard to believe that in the 19 years or so that he played that he only scored 7 goals.

Not having a dig at the guy. Just find it an amazing statistic when you think of all the opportunities he probably had to score. He was either unselfish or just crap at shooting.

Tevez will be celebrating the news of Neville's retirement. :agree:

greenlex
03-02-2011, 11:12 PM
Good loyalty but piss poor moustache. I had a better tache when I was 14 FFS.
In fact my ex missus hasa better one.

Pete
03-02-2011, 11:17 PM
.................................................. .................................................. .....
There was, it is fair to say, a lively response last night when, in tribute to Gary Neville, I called him "one of world football's great overachievers", adding "If that sounds like damning with faint praise, it really isn't."

And it isn't. It's an enormous tribute to a guy who, as a good friend of his reminded me this morning, started out as a midfielder and realised in the company of Scholes, Beckham and others that he wasn't good enough to play there. He moved to centre-back and was told he wasn't tall enough to play there. He moved to right-back and found himself up against John O'Kane, who was quicker, stronger and, as he saw it, more gifted.

I suggested last night that Glen Johnson and Micah Richards were "more gifted than Neville ever was, but Neville's attitude made him a far better player." That went down pretty well ... My point is that Johnson and Richards, like O'Kane, were born with the technical/physical gifts to play at the highest level and are falling short, i.e. underachieving. To my mind -- and his own -- Neville wasn't born with those gifts, so he had to work harder, in my view, than any other modern English footballer to achieve what he has done. To me, that constitutes overachievement.

People cited Neville's world-class crossing as an example of what a STUPID C*** I must be. Sorry, but that too was the product of hard work. Watching Neville in the 90s, he was never anything like as good a crosser as he became. By his own admission, that is something that he had to develop later in his career because there was a trend towards more attacking right-backs. You might not believe this, but a link with Hatem Trabelsi (he who bombed at Man City) was what taught him he had to work relentlessly on his crossing. Over time, he became an extremely good crosser, but it was not because it was something at which he was gifted.

Neville's gifts were his intelligence, his desire and his work ethic. They gave him the attitude to identify his limitations and work endlessly to improve in area he could. He couldn't make himself taller or quicker, so he worked on his stamina and his upper-body strength. He even, as Lee Sharpe said a little scoffingly in his autobiography, practised his throw-ins.

Neville did not set out to be a top-class full-back. Who does? He felt that, because of his limitations, it was the only position in which he could try to carve out a career at United, the only club he ever wanted to play for. He could have stayed in central defence or in midfield, but not at United. And he certainly wouldn't have 85 caps -- it would have been far more but for injury -- as a midfielder (though I fancy he would have had more chance than most English players of developing the skils to play in the holding role that is now en vogue).

There is an art to great defending, but to a large extent the required skills -- positioning, marking, tackling -- are either self-taught or coached. You might say it is the same of every position. I would disagree; Paul Scholes and Ryan Giggs were born with the technical ability and creative flair to excel in what they do.

Those areas -- intelligence, positioning, marking, tackling -- are the ones in which Johnson and Richards remain hopeless, which is why I said (and many people ignored) that, despite their gifts, they are far inferior players to Neville. A more interesting case to monitor is Rafael. He has far more of the raw physical/technical materials than Neville. Time will tell whether he can be anything like as good a full-back.

Is overachiever an insult? Did people think that, because we're talking about a team sport, I was calling him a useless player who won medals because he played in a brilliant team? That is not how he sees the term "overachiever". Nor is it how the word is seen by Frank Lampard, another who has worked phenomenally hard to elevate himself to the top echelons of the game.

As Lampard put it when I interview him a few months ago, "When I was 15, I was decent, but I was a bit chubby. There were better players than me in West Ham’s youth team. There was a boy, Michael Black, who played in my Sunday team. He was the bee’s knees. He didn’t quite kick on. There was Lee Hodges, who was at West Ham and is still a good friend of mine. He got injuries that halted his progress. But there are countless ones I could name just from my Sunday and school teams and I always felt that I had to find a way to be better than them."

That could easily be Neville talking. In fact, in an interview with The Times over a decade ago, Neville said: "When I was 14, I was average among players. was just a sub for my county team, Greater Manchester. Nicky Butt, my brother, Phil, David Beckham, John O'Kane, Keith Gillespie and Ben Thornley were all playing for national teams. They were the stars. They were playing for their country at schoolboy level and I thought they were the bee's knees. I was nothing like that and I realised when I was 16 that if I did not give it my all, then I wouldn't have a chance."

That is the point. Gillespie, Thornley and O'Kane underachieved in their careers. Nicky Butt and Phil Neville achieved. Giggs and Scholes became the world-class players they were always destined to be. Beckham? That's another debate entirely ...

And Gary Neville? A fantastic overachiever. An average midfielder who became a too-small central defender who, over time, became a top-class full-back. Not through innate talent, but through the attitude, desire and hard work which, ultimately, made him a far more talented player than he could ever have imagined in his teens. That has been a common theme in the tributes from Sir Alex Ferguson, Steve Bruce, Arsene Wenger and many others. As well as that, it is how he regards himself.

Congratulations, Gary Neville, on a great career. You were a world-class overachiever, an example to young footballers everywhere.

Agree with practically all of that. Good stuff.

monktonharp
03-02-2011, 11:36 PM
I agree with post No2, virtually naebody ob here gies a f/ck aboot Neville.:na na:

iwasthere1972
03-02-2011, 11:49 PM
To be brutally honest I agree with post #2 and post #7. :wink:

During his 19 years at OT did any club make a bid for him? Can't be bothered reading the twitter stuff above.

Pete
04-02-2011, 12:05 AM

During his 19 years at OT did any club make a bid for him? Can't be bothered reading the twitter stuff above.

If you did read it you might find an answer to the question.

...but seeing as you, or the others who bothered to post about your non-interest in the subject aren't that bothered then why bother?

:greengrin

Allant1981
04-02-2011, 12:54 AM

What difference does that make?

Haymaker
04-02-2011, 01:57 AM
Overachiever?

**** off

Gary Neville worked hard every day to do what any of us on here would die for.

He played for the club he loves, captained the club he loves and won more medals than most players in english history.

He also played for his country at competition level. I am also sure he captained his country in some games.

The man could defend and attack, he knew what he had to do and rarely made mistakes. Most "international/world class full backs" nowadays can only do one of those.

No club made a bid for him? How many clubs made a bid for Roy Keane? Or Paul Scholes? Or Ryan Giggs? Are they/were **** as well?

Dalianwanda
04-02-2011, 02:01 AM

I dont give a **** about English football..Dont give a **** about Neville but from what I know of him this sums him up...Also a great role model for any of the your guys at Hibs

Lucius Apuleius
04-02-2011, 06:21 AM
Regarding the OP I agree with posts 2,7 and 8. However Neville did have a great work ethic. Why we would mention it on a Hibs board though??? Boogered if I know.

Glory Glory.

Danderhall Hibs
04-02-2011, 06:45 AM
Does anyone reckon he's packed it in mid-season so he can take on the Sky job?

HH81
04-02-2011, 07:03 AM
Regarding the OP I agree with posts 2,7 and 8. However Neville did have a great work ethic. Why we would mention it on a Hibs board though??? Boogered if I know.

Glory Glory.
The op is a well known man u support. He posts about them a lot. More than Hibs Infact :)

CropleyWasGod
04-02-2011, 07:38 AM

Glory Glory.

Because Hibs.net is about football and the world in general, maybe?

Green_one
04-02-2011, 07:46 AM
Jings, its a Hibs only board now is it.

So no-one will be slavering on about Hearts for example - see adjacents posts. No mention of recent transfers outside Hibs either :confused:

As regards Man United there are plenty of ABUs on this board who come on when United lose (not very often admittedly :wink:)

Neville is worth a mention as he is one of a dying breed who has played for one club and is a significant footballer over the past 20 years. He is outside the envelope of players like Torres who simply pledges his dying love for the next club up the career ladder. When players like Giggs and Gerrard finally hang up their boots we will probably not see their likes again in many ways. His work ethic alone is worth us mentioning as it is all too lacking in many Scottish players. Most stars are actually the hardest working and most determined.

Its easy with threads. If you are not interested, do not read them. I never read the 'Hearts are about to fold' stuff as they are pure drivel. Others like their fantasy world of weeping Jambos watching Tynie crushed under bulldozers. Not this week though.

khib70
04-02-2011, 08:51 AM
So farewell then, Gary Chuckle, half of English football's longest serving comedy duo.

There is a real reason for his retirement, though.....

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/sport/sport-headlines/neville-retires-to-grow-moustache-201102033509/

Lucius Apuleius
04-02-2011, 09:00 AM
Nobody is saying it should not be posted. People are expressing surprise at my Townie friend expressing his surprise that nobody has mentioned it. Seemples.

HNA11
04-02-2011, 09:02 AM

Glory Glory.

Hibs.net Main Forum- The place for Hibs fans to talk about Hibs and football in general:wink:

Lucius Apuleius
04-02-2011, 09:06 AM
Hibs.net Main Forum- The place for Hibs fans to talk about Hibs and football in general:wink:

See message above.

CropleyWasGod
04-02-2011, 09:15 AM
Nobody is saying it should not be posted. People are expressing surprise at my Townie friend expressing his surprise that nobody has mentioned it. Seemples.

This one is . "Why we would mention it on a Hibs board though??? Boogered if I know." :wink:

lapsedhibee
04-02-2011, 09:18 AM
Find myself agreeing more with posts 2, 7, 8, 13, 19, 24 and 29 than with other-numbered posts.

Lucius Apuleius
04-02-2011, 09:19 AM
This one is . "Why we would mention it on a Hibs board though??? Boogered if I know." :wink:

What I was basically hinting at it was why would we? If someone wanted to do it fine but nobody had because nobody was bothered until wee fawkirk hibby did. No surprise that nobody did. No surprise that it was eventually him that did it and that also is fine. I am just expressing surprise at his surprise as other posters before me also did. No wahalla as we say in these parts.

CropleyWasGod
04-02-2011, 09:22 AM
What I was basically hinting at it was why would we? If someone wanted to do it fine but nobody had because nobody was bothered until wee fawkirk hibby did. No surprise that nobody did. No surprise that it was eventually him that did it and that also is fine. I am just expressing surprise at his surprise as other posters before me also did. No wahalla as we say in these parts.

OFGS lol... that's too long an explanation for me to try and absorb this early. I'm sure you're right... or wrong... or whatever.

No wahalla? WTF? :greengrin

Lucius Apuleius
04-02-2011, 09:26 AM
OFGS lol... that's too long an explanation for me to try and absorb this early. I'm sure you're right... or wrong... or whatever.

No wahalla? WTF? :greengrin

Awao, no wahalla Oyibo. :greengrin

iwasthere1972
04-02-2011, 10:12 AM
What difference does that make?

Probably none but just wanted an answer. :wink:

GreenCastle
04-02-2011, 11:12 AM
I dislike Man Utd - but I thought that any coaches or fans may be interested in a different view of Neville. Like him or hate him - you have to respect he did well considering he was very limited.

le bill
04-02-2011, 02:13 PM
I'm finding myself agreeing with posts 2,3,5,7,11,13,17,19 & 23

:wink:

lucky
04-02-2011, 02:34 PM
quality player who tried like **** for his team. some of the chancers who have worn green this season should take note about what hard work can achieve.

Interesting to note so many on here don't care about Neville or Manchester United but comment the fact they don't

lapsedhibee
04-02-2011, 02:39 PM
Interesting to note so many on here don't care about Neville or Manchester United but comment the fact they don't

This makes no sense at all. If, as you imply, it's somehow contradictory/hypocritical/wotever to state that you don't care about something, then there would never, ever, under any circumstances, be a legitimate use for the phrase "I don't care about ..."

Not that I care whether your post makes any sense, you understand. :wink:

Disc O'Dave
04-02-2011, 02:41 PM
I'm finding myself agreeing with posts 2,3,5,7,11,13,17,19 & 23

And that's post numberwang!

sleeping giant
04-02-2011, 02:41 PM
I agree with post 33 :agree:

Hibbie_Cameron
04-02-2011, 03:31 PM
Could not stand him.

Have total respect of Giggs and Scholes but could never take to Neville. Comes across as an arrogant tosser imo

sesoim
04-02-2011, 05:24 PM
it's dead easy to "devote" your life to one club if you get mega bucks and win a few trophies.

Exactly. The same goes for Giggs, Scholes and co. Most of them have had long term injuries as well. I'd say they were lucky to play for Man Utd rather than the other way round. They were all lucky to have a manager who gets the best out of squads without spending the most. I actually think Giggs in particular would have struggled elsewhere, outside of the comfort zone, if Man Utd had dumped him. The same goes for Fletcher now. Anyway, apart from Real Madrid and Barcelona, who could they realistically walk out on Man Utd for and be taking a step-up in any kind of way?

For the record, I actually think Neville has been a great RB over the years, one of the best. But I don't like him one bit, he comes across as arrogant and always expects ref's to give Man Utd all the decisions even when they blatantly don't deserve them.

Reaper
04-02-2011, 07:53 PM
Maybe cos Hibs were playing :greengrin

And 99 per cent of us don't give a toss about Man u :yawn:

And it's dead easy to "devote" your life to one club if you get mega bucks and win a few trophies. More like nae ambition :devil:

:thumbsup:

steviecarnie
04-02-2011, 08:23 PM
I know he was a right back but it's hard to believe that in the 19 years or so that he played that he only scored 7 goals.

Not having a dig at the guy. Just find it an amazing statistic when you think of all the opportunities he probably had to score. He was either unselfish or just crap at shooting.

he was pretty poor, got better with age but high wide and hansom was a running theme, when he did shoot, which wasnt often.

Iggy Pope
04-02-2011, 08:32 PM
he was pretty poor, got better with age but high wide and hansom was a running theme, when he did shoot, which wasnt often.

Every effort on goal such a waste of time he should've picked up a yellow for it!

Iggy Pope
04-02-2011, 09:24 PM
He's an obnoxious little turd. And always will be!

Possibly the first remark you've made on here that I wholeheartedly agree with.

steviecarnie
04-02-2011, 10:47 PM
I actually think Giggs in particular would have struggled elsewhere, outside of the comfort zone,

You are joking right? the pundits haven't been drooling over his performances through out his career because "he got lucky to be at United" if u think Giggs would struggle at any other club, u need to give up watching football!!! Fergie has shown throughout his career its club before sentiment, Giggs/Scholes would not be near the team if they werent still performing to the standards needed. if Zinedine Zidane can say Scholes is the best player he's ever played against then thats good enough for me!

Genius's, Class Acts, Legends, FACT

Hiber-nation
04-02-2011, 10:54 PM
You are joking right? the pundits haven't been drooling over his performances through out his career because "he got lucky to be at United" if u think Giggs would struggle at any other club, u need to give up watching football!!!

Genius, Class Act, Legend, FACT

As for Scholes if Zinedine Zidane can say he is the best player he's ever played then thats good enough for me!

:agree:

Some of the comments here are obviously from the usual blinkered Liverpool contingent.

As for Gary Neville, I'm no Man U fan but the man is an absolute legend.

ScottB
04-02-2011, 10:57 PM
Interesting that we've had umpteen threads about Liverpool, yet one thread about a model pro retiring and the moaning begins.

If we can have threads about one English club we can have them for them all.

Kevvy1875
04-02-2011, 11:33 PM
Gary Neville? Full of admiration for the fella for what he achieved mainly due to his desire to play for the club he loved. Stuff dreams are made of and he lived the dream.

I don't follow English football other than what I see on National TV...but its clear this guy has been at the top of the game for 15 seasons in one of the toughest leagues in the world. You don't do that if you are a mug. I have no allegiances here but even LFC fans would have to grudgingly admit the guy deserve's the praise at the end of his career.

An interesting Hibs connection with this story.........

I was looking at a Man U youth team Photo from maybe 15-18yr ago....something about that time and included was Gary Neville, David Beckham, Paul Scholes, Nicky Butt, Robbie Savage, Ben Thornley...a few others that never quite made the grade and a one COLIN MURDOCH:greengrin He had HAIR!!!!!

Kevvy1875
04-02-2011, 11:41 PM
http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/incoming/article689175.ece/ALTERNATES/gallery-large/savage-manu.jpg

iwasthere1972
04-02-2011, 11:51 PM
http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/incoming/article689175.ece/ALTERNATES/gallery-large/savage-manu.jpg

Spotted Murdoch. Is that Savage next to Scholes? Looks like he's either sporting a dodgy hairstyle or wearing chunky headphones.

Tynie01011973
05-02-2011, 07:42 AM
:agree:

Some of the comments here are obviously from the usual blinkered Liverpool contingent.

As for Gary Neville, I'm no Man U fan but the man is an absolute legend.

:top marks

Yeah - I wonder what they will be saying when it's Jamie Carragher's time to end.............another guy who was a good honest pro who has 'made the most' of his talents.

Kevvy1875
05-02-2011, 11:12 AM
Spotted Murdoch. Is that Savage next to Scholes? Looks like he's either sporting a dodgy hairstyle or wearing chunky headphones.

Yep....Savage is next to Scholes and the Hairdo is just wrong, no headphones involved:greengrin

Looking at big Murdoch again.....is that a wig?lol

hibsbollah
05-02-2011, 11:38 AM
Imagine if Hibs had a Gary Neville. He'd be the new Stanton.

lapsedhibee
05-02-2011, 02:13 PM
Imagine if Hibs had a Gary Neville. He'd be the new Stanton.

:bitchy:

hibsbollah
05-02-2011, 04:54 PM
:bitchy:

:fishin:
That will go nicely with some lemon and a nice muscadet:greengrin

Sir David Gray
05-02-2011, 05:18 PM
Oh dear, I seem to have opened a whole can of worms and upset a few Liverpool fans who are obviously still struggling to get over THIS (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QubF5Afcuek=). :not worth:not worth:not worth

:greengrin

I was surprised that no-one had mentioned Neville retiring because for 19 years, he played consistently at the highest level for his club and for 12 years, he played at the highest level for his country (playing in two World Cups).

I also thought it was worth mentioning because it is so rare these days that a player goes through his whole career, only playing for one club.

OK, some people have raised the point about it being easy to play for Manchester Utd for your whole career and pick up tens of thousands of pounds each week while you're at it, but just think of the players who have played for United, Arsenal, Chelsea etc and have moved on to another club.

If people thought this thread was over the top, just wait and see what I've got in store for when Sir Ryan Giggs decides to hang up his boots. :greengrin

lapsedhibee
05-02-2011, 06:15 PM
:fishin:
That will go nicely with some lemon and a nice muscadet:greengrin

:tsk tsk: Not funny. Not even in jest. I am still feeling ill at the thought of those two mentioned in the same paragraph. Only a Hibee who was very, very young when PS played would dare! :panic:

rj hibs
05-02-2011, 06:19 PM
neville was was always terrible and one of the most over-rated players in the premiership for years. Its easy to be loyal when nobody else wants you.

Tynie01011973
05-02-2011, 08:46 PM
[QUOTE=FalkirkHibee;2727953]Oh dear, I seem to have opened a whole can of worms and upset a few Liverpool fans who are obviously still struggling to get over THIS (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QubF5Afcuek=). :not worth:not worth:not worth

BOO - HOO the Liverpool supporters can't handle a bit of 'noising up' - some Man U player celebrating 'kissing the badge' after HIS team he supported/played for/captained scoring a late goal to win a match ?????

Funny then that they castigate Torres 'kissing the badge' for 'daring' to leave them to want to better himself and join a club that he can actually win trophies with :greengrin

After all, he had wasted 3 years of his career trying to carry that bunch of no-hopers

Go on the Red Devils :devil::devil::devil:

Removed
05-02-2011, 08:58 PM
Who are these Liverpool supporters? For the record I have NO allegiance to any English team.

Tynie01011973
05-02-2011, 09:28 PM
You dont have to look to hard, - slating a guy that has committed himself for 20 years of his life to play for the team he supported -working to make the most of his talents - however limited some might like to think.

Funny that for Fergies golden generation, there is NOT one of the youngsters who came through who you EVER hear of in the news/step out of line.

Gary Neville/Paul Scholes/Ryan Giggs have shown what football players CAN achieve by foregoing the 'drinking culture' of many footballers nowadays.

Pity, Stevie G never learned that, might have saved him from 'assaulting ' some Bar DJ who didnt want to play the music he wanted to hear
:dummytit::dummytit:

Removed
05-02-2011, 10:38 PM
You dont have to look to hard, - slating a guy that has committed himself for 20 years of his life to play for the team he supported -working to make the most of his talents - however limited some might like to think.

Funny that for Fergies golden generation, there is NOT one of the youngsters who came through who you EVER hear of in the news/step out of line.

Gary Neville/Paul Scholes/Ryan Giggs have shown what football players CAN achieve by foregoing the 'drinking culture' of many footballers nowadays.

Pity, Stevie G never learned that, might have saved him from 'assaulting ' some Bar DJ who didnt want to play the music he wanted to hear

What about all the front page stories about Giggs sexual exploits? Is that not stepping out of line or is that ok because he was sober?

steviecarnie
05-02-2011, 11:00 PM
What about all the front page stories about Giggs sexual exploits? Is that not stepping out of line or is that ok because he was sober?

u talking about dani behr? who sold her story? not exactly a mistermeaner a long time gf, selling her story!! if thats the worst he's done in a 20odd year career **** me we're all doomed!!

seriously if u cant acknowledged the fact that these guys (and i include carracher, gerard, terry in this) who have devoted their career to the one club without chasing the money they have obviously had offered to them, then ur more deluded than a yam thinking the debt is not a problem!!

Removed
05-02-2011, 11:03 PM
u talking about dani behr? who sold her story? not exactly a mistermeaner a long time gf, selling her story!!

No idea. Just remember front page stories on the notw a few years ago.

I must be a Liverpool fan though :faf:

steviecarnie
05-02-2011, 11:13 PM
No idea. Just remember front page stories on the notw a few years ago.

I must be a Liverpool fan though :faf:

the stories were when he was 17 and it was about him ****ging dani in a cupboard. nothing wrong with that imo. the only other time giggs has appeared on a front page is the sotry of the party at lee sharpe's look it up!

u say u have no allegiance with a team but ABU sounds about right!!

Removed
05-02-2011, 11:15 PM
the stories were when he was 17 and it was about him ****ging dani in a cupboard. nothing wrong with that imo. the only other time giggs has appeared on a front page is the sotry of the party at lee sharpe's look it up!

u say u have no allegiance with a team but ABU sounds about right!!

Don't be silly

steviecarnie
05-02-2011, 11:22 PM
Don't be silly

so bringing up a non story from 20 years ago. isnt showing an allegiance no?

look at recent headlines about group sex, rape and kiddy fiddling! and u think giggs ****ging a good looking lass is a mistermeaner!! DELUDED!!

Pete
05-02-2011, 11:29 PM

I've heard plenty about David Beckhams affairs in the newspapers.

As for Steven Gerrard, was he not cleared of all charges?

He was cleared in court while David Beckhams word was taken over the girl he allegedly had an afair with because he's the golden boy who can do no wrong.

For every one of this "golden generation" you can point to there are others who have been covered in scandal. Fergie has presided over them too.

No team, or manager can be associated with any sort of moral high ground nowadays. The dozens of gagging orders probably mean we'll never know the full extent.

Pete
05-02-2011, 11:30 PM

look at recent headlines about group sex, rape and kiddy fiddling! and u think giggs ****ging a good looking lass is a mistermeaner!! DELUDED!!

Why do Hearts have to be dragged into this?

Removed
05-02-2011, 11:35 PM

I've already said I have no allegiance to any team but now I am deluded. Whatever.

And what exactly is a mistermeaner anyway?

Pete
05-02-2011, 11:42 PM
I've already said I have no allegiance to any team but now I am deluded. Whatever.

And what exactly is a mistermeaner anyway?

Is he one of the mister men that didn't make the final cut?

DAVE1875
06-02-2011, 12:01 AM
Looking at all the posts on the thread asking why bother posting about Gary Neville begs the question: Why do we have threads about Torres, Craig Gordonor any other footballer that doesn't play for Hibs?