PDA

View Full Version : Tough Tackling Midfield

The Hurricane
03-02-2011, 06:28 PM
After watching hibs for 48 years, i am now computer friendly, this is my first post.

Delighted by the tackling ability of our new midfield. Saw more tackles in one game than in every other game this season by Miller, McBride, Rankin, Galbraith, De Graaf etc.

Good signings by CC.

steviecarnie
03-02-2011, 06:29 PM
After watching hibs for 48 years, i am now computer friendly, this is my first post.

Delighted by the tackling ability of our new midfield. Saw more tackles in one game than in every other game this season by Miller, McBride, Rankin, Galbraith etc.

Good signings by CC.

welcome

MSK
03-02-2011, 06:30 PM

Delighted by the tackling ability of our new midfield. Saw more tackles in one game than in every other game this season by Miller, McBride, Rankin, Galbraith etc.

Good signings by CC.Welcome to the mad hoose ..:aok:

davehiby
03-02-2011, 06:32 PM
could not agree more ..team has been toothless for a very long time and i hope we have turned a corner at last:agree:

a very warm welcome hurricane....(excellent bob dylan song as well)

One Day Soon
03-02-2011, 06:41 PM
I can't believe the casual way you are dispensing with tradition in welcoming the new arrival. Shocking.

Let me make good your failings.

LTYF

The Hurricane
03-02-2011, 06:43 PM
I can't believe the casual way you are dispensing with tradition in welcoming the new arrival. Shocking.

Let me make good your failings.

LTYF

What do you mean ?:confused:

Killiehibbie
03-02-2011, 06:57 PM
What do you mean ?:confused:Normal response to a new poster is he must be a jambo at the wind up. You thought it is only celtic that are paranoid.

The Hurricane
03-02-2011, 07:03 PM
Normal response to a new poster is he must be a jambo at the wind up. You thought it is only celtic that are paranoid.

I see:rolleyes::rolleyes:

tomhorn
03-02-2011, 07:06 PM
Welcome Hurricane

Yes - some very tasty (but fair) tackles indeed, especially from Palsson. About the midfield toughened up.

FranckSuzy
03-02-2011, 07:06 PM
Welcome :thumbsup: You'll get used to the 'humour' on here :rolleyes: :greengrin

Hakim Sar
03-02-2011, 07:11 PM
'ibs firm

Reaper
03-02-2011, 07:17 PM
Big improvement, ironic how (granted it's been two games they've played) that CC in his first Transfer window seems to have remedied the problem, that Yogi crowed on about was common knowledge in Scotland, being that Hibs had a soft centre, yet Yogi had several oppurtunities to do so and never seemed to take it, I know I'm deviating from the thread but I'm just wondering if it shows up that CC has far more contacts and knowledge of the English games than Yogi (I'd expect so mind). A fact that may prove very fruitful for Hibs.

One Day Soon
03-02-2011, 07:21 PM
Big improvement, ironic how (granted it's been two games they've played) that CC in his first Transfer window seems to have remedied the problem, that Yogi crowed on about was common knowledge in Scotland, being that Hibs had a soft centre, yet Yogi had several oppurtunities to do so and never seemed to take it, I know I'm deviating from the thread but I'm just wondering if it shows up that CC has far more contacts and knowledge of the English games than Yogi (I'd expect so mind). A fact that may prove very fruitful for Hibs.

CC was saying precisely that privately from very early on. He knew the squad was soft and needed some steel. Couldn't begin to address that until the window to get people both out and in. This is just the start.

The Hurricane
03-02-2011, 07:23 PM
CC was saying precisely that privately from very early on. He knew the squad was soft and needed some steel. Couldn't begin to address that until the window to get people both out and in. This is just the start.

Could not agree more.

One Day Soon
03-02-2011, 07:26 PM
Could not agree more.

Well ok then, in that case not LTYF.

billbee
03-02-2011, 07:38 PM
Welcome Hurricane ! :greengrin

Dr Jimmy
04-02-2011, 09:40 AM
As an old fart I sometimes struggle with these acronyms, what does LTYF mean?

1875er
04-02-2011, 09:43 AM
As an old fart I sometimes struggle with these acronyms, what does LTYF mean?

Launch The Yam Fud!!

1875er
04-02-2011, 09:44 AM

Spot On:aok::aok::aok:

Seanair
04-02-2011, 09:52 AM

At the AGM, CC said that he wanted Hibs to be "nastier" and got a round of applause from the audience, which had known for yonks what Yogi had neglected to do to improve the midfield.

Regarding "nastier", am I right in thinking that every one of our outfield signings has been yellow-carded already?

Gatecrasher
04-02-2011, 10:06 AM

Delighted by the tackling ability of our new midfield. Saw more tackles in one game than in every other game this season by Miller, McBride, Rankin, Galbraith, De Graaf etc.

Good signings by CC.

Welcome, enjoy the Banter. This Place gets addictive though :greengrin

truehibernian
04-02-2011, 11:14 AM
It was very interesting to hear Danny Lennon's comments after the game. It didn't go unnoticed to him that we were "hungrier" and had more "desire". These are words you rarely hear when an opposition manager is describing Hibs play. First and second phase balls were also being won by Hibs players. Good to see, and also good to see a far stronger bench. This just might be the catalyst for the likes of Miller to step up and prove his worth.

Also very nice to see Danny taking time before the game to chat to the fans in the West. He spent a good while chatting away and he clearly still holds an affection for the club. For his sake I would want St Mirren to stay up.

PeeJay
04-02-2011, 02:38 PM
Seems to be a general concensus on Hibs.net that everything Yogi was to blame for has now been undone and sorted at ER - sorry to rain on your party guys, but one swallow does not a summer make - maybe we should wait and see how consistently hungry and full of desire the newcomers are - not forgetting their performances on the park - before we actually consign our problems to the past - aren't we getting ahead of ourselves just a tiny wee bit? It was only St. Mirren ...

BTW - The Hurricane - greetings from Berlin!
:flag:

lapsedhibee
04-02-2011, 02:58 PM
Seems to be a general concensus on Hibs.net that everything Yogi was to blame for has now been undone and sorted at ER - sorry to rain on your party guys, but one swallow does not a summer make - maybe we should wait and see how consistently hungry and full of desire the newcomers are - not forgetting their performances on the park - before we actually consign our problems to the past - aren't we getting ahead of ourselves just a tiny wee bit? It was only St. Mirren ...

It was only St Midden and they were rank, but there were a good few swallows. What's the official number you need to make a summer? 533814? :dunno:

JimBHibees
04-02-2011, 03:15 PM

I dont think anyone is saying that everything is fine now however it was night and day with what hae been produced in the last few months so is a promising sign especially given how well some of the players performed.

J-C
04-02-2011, 03:29 PM

Welcome Hurricane.........:greengrin

Peejay, I think the majority on here repeatedly said the problem we've had for nigh on 11 months or so has been our weak/invisible midfield which constantly refused to turn up week in, week out. Yogi has to take all the blame for this as it's his midfield that were playing for all this period, yes a few glimpses were shown by these players, especially in the first half of last season, but when times got tough, these same players decided to hide away. CC has recognised this and hence the reason 3 solid tackling, good passing midfielders were drafted in, this then snuff's out the problems in defense by taking the pressure off them and also help the attack by winning 50/50 ball's and then being able to pass the ball into the forward men.

Craig_in_Prague
04-02-2011, 03:31 PM
I dont think anyone is saying that everything is fine now however it was night and day with what hae been produced in the last few months so is a promising sign especially given how well some of the players performed.

:agree:

I cannot even remember the last time an opposition manager said that Hibs were the hungrier team. Or even the better team for that matter.

and it was clear during the 1st half that we were hungry, which made me confident of going on to win (bar silly mistakes) and fans will always feed off the committment from their side. Seemed a positive crowd from what I picked up on the Live HI feed.

Hibs have always seemed to lack the fight of other sides (Hearts being perfect example - Derby records are harsh evidence).
If we can get the fire in the bellies, then we have enough quality to go on and win games and punch our weight.

It was a massive improvement on what we've been used too, let's hope the good work continues :aok:

The Falcon
04-02-2011, 03:34 PM

You are, of course, absolutely right, it dosent. But it was refreshing to see how some new blood with an improved attitude transformed the apllication of the whole team. The Hibs players were winning their battles all over the park when previously they not only had been losing, they had been surrendering without a fight.

Not the end of the tunnel but we're travelling forward towards it again.

hughio
04-02-2011, 04:10 PM
"Now all the criminals in their suits and their ties,
Are free to sip martinis and watch the sun rise
While Reuben sits like Buddha in a ten foot cell
An innocent man in a living hell...

Yeah that's the story of the Hurricane..." :agree:

I only arrived at half time and couldn't believe the dig we had (in the second half anyway) from all these new faces.... and Ian Murray.
Thought we might have had a couple sent off but hey ho.

Brilliant!

:cool2:

The Hurricane
04-02-2011, 05:02 PM
Must say, that for the first time in months I am confident that we will stay up.
If we can get another CH and Striker we might just have a good second half to
the season for the first time in a very long time.:thumbsup:

basehibby
04-02-2011, 05:12 PM
Welcome Hurricane!

Got to say I was moaning like **** on here about letting Zemama depart with a lack of quality coming in.

The new signings are looking very promising though and adding some much needed steel to the midfield. If they keep up their impressive starts and the Hibees keep on winning then I'll be putting the knives away again :greengrin

blackpoolhibs
04-02-2011, 05:23 PM
The midfield has been the main problem imo, and the new guys hopefully will rectify that. I like Miller, and when he came on it was good to see him get further up the park, and if Riordan had fed him in at the end, he surely would have scored.

Thornhill Poulson and Scott i'm sure will start most weeks, that leaves one space. If its Miller then we might lack a bit of width? Wotherspoon could be the answer, and again after his display on Wednesday probably deserves it. The options are so much better now than a couple of weeks ago. :top marks

hibsbollah
04-02-2011, 05:30 PM
Welcome Hurricane!

Got to say I was moaning like **** on here about letting Zemama depart with a lack of quality coming in.

The new signings are looking very promising though and adding some much needed steel to the midfield. If they keep up their impressive starts and the Hibees keep on winning then I'll be putting the knives away again :greengrin

I'm the same as you in thinking that letting Zemmama go was a major mistake. The new signings (Palson, Thornhill, Scott) look like good acquisitions, but i just wish we had a chance to see the wee man play with them rather than be replaced by them.

Still, its looking a lot healthier now in the 'engine room'.

EasterRoad4Ever
04-02-2011, 06:05 PM
I'm the same as you in thinking that letting Zemmama go was a major mistake. The new signings (Palson, Thornhill, Scott) look like good acquisitions, but i just wish we had a chance to see the wee man play with them rather than be replaced by them.

Still, its looking a lot healthier now in the 'engine room'.

The new guys, especially Palsson, are much more to their game than just tough tackling. They all look like they can play football and Palsson has a good footballing brain. Think we've much more to see from these guys :greengrin

Badge
04-02-2011, 06:08 PM

Hope so. If that is the case then next season could be one to really look forward to.

truehibernian
04-02-2011, 06:53 PM
The new guys, especially Palsson, are much more to their game than just tough tackling. They all look like they can play football and Palsson has a good footballing brain. Think we've much more to see from these guys :greengrin

Very true. Palsson and Thornhill also don't play with their back to the oppostion. This bugged me no end about Rankin and McBride. They would pick up possession far too often with their back to their opponents, and in turning to face, got themselves into trouble. Rankin in particular was one footed and rarely went outside his man, choosing to cut inside onto his left foot.

Palsson in particular plays with his head up and facing forward. Some of his passes were intelligent and skilful. Thornhill looked rusty but you can see he is a player by his movement and touch.

I can't wait to see Scott in there too........lots of energy and drive.

ancient hibee
04-02-2011, 07:19 PM
I rather miss the running for 70 yds alongside an opponent before either doing nothing or fouling just outside the penalty area.Does anyone think that this reading the game and getting yourself to the correct part of the park will ever catch on?

gringojoe
04-02-2011, 08:53 PM
I rather miss the running for 70 yds alongside an opponent before either doing nothing or fouling just outside the penalty area.Does anyone think that this reading the game and getting yourself to the correct part of the park will ever catch on?

First perfected by Rab Kilgour many years ago.