PDA

View Full Version : Riordan To See Out His Career At Hibs?

Speedway
03-02-2011, 04:00 PM
Article in sporting life (can't link from here) is quoting Derek as saying he wishes to see out his career at HIbs.

Very complimentary about CC also.

nelson10.
03-02-2011, 04:05 PM
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/hibernian/8301430/Derek-Riordan-pledges-future-to-Hibernian.html :agree:

ancienthibby
03-02-2011, 04:06 PM
Article in sporting life (can't link from here) is quoting Derek as saying he wishes to see out his career at HIbs.

Here you go.

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/scottishpremier/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=soccer/11/02/03/SOCCER_Hibernian_Nightlead.html&BID=425

sleeping giant
03-02-2011, 04:06 PM
http://www.sportinglife.com/football/scottishpremier/hibernian/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=soccer/11/02/03/SOCCER_Hibernian_Nightlead.html&TEAMHD=hibernian&DIV=scotsprem&TEAM=HIBERNIAN&RH=Hibernian&PREV_SEASON=&BID=434

Purehibee_MYB
03-02-2011, 04:07 PM
This week keeps getting better!

YehButNoBut
03-02-2011, 04:09 PM
Good stuff from Deeks, Rod get it sorted. :agree:

Jim44
03-02-2011, 04:13 PM
The ball's in Petrie's court now. CC's statement of a few weeks ago that Hibs wouldn't move for Riordan but just wait and see what happens, seems a bit redundant. If ever there was a 'come-on' this is it. Surely Petrie won't allow this to drag on.

Westie1875
03-02-2011, 04:18 PM
The ball's in Petrie's court now. CC's statement of a few weeks ago that Hibs wouldn't move for Riordan but just wait and see what happens, seems a bit redundant. If ever there was a 'come-on' this is it. Surely Petrie won't allow this to drag on.

What I took from CC's stance on Riordan's contract situation was that he was waiting until he could make him a good enough offer to convince him to stay, i.e. after he has got rid of most of the dead wood at the end of the season he will have more budget available to offer Deeks a contract that will keep him at ER for a long time (rest of career even better).

J-C
03-02-2011, 04:19 PM
What I took from CC's stance on Riordan's contract situation was that he was waiting until he could make him a good enough offer to convince him to stay, i.e. after he has got rid of most of the dead wood at the end of the season he will have more budget available to offer Deeks a contract that will keep him at ER for a long time (rest of career even better).

This was my understanding also, free up some wages and offer what should be a decent deal.

Haymaker
03-02-2011, 04:20 PM

:agree: I got that too.

Hibee Daz
03-02-2011, 04:24 PM
This week keeps getting better!

Indeed it does, happy days.

Last night was a real team performance, if we see that much desire from now until the end of the season there will be no complaints from me.

:notworthy:

GGTTH

jacomo
03-02-2011, 04:24 PM
"I want to stay" could just be a negotiation gambit.

This isn't a criticism of Riordan personally, but we all know how footballers operate - "I want to stay" often translates as "give me the money I'm asking for or I'm gone".

However, Calderwood brought in six players but none of them could be described as a replacement for Riordan - in fact they seem to be players who can help Riordan offer more to the team.

And I think he'd be mental if he goes to Rangers - both sides of his family would hate him, the Huns wouldn't take to him, and what does he do if it doesn't work out?

stokesmessiah
03-02-2011, 04:25 PM
Dont be so ridiculous, CC does not rate him as a player and the board were trying to force him out, after all they do want to get us relegated. :devil:

ancienthibby
03-02-2011, 04:29 PM
Dont be so ridiculous, CC does not rate him as a player and the board were trying to force him out, after all they do want to get us relegated. :devil:

With that kind of comment go into a dark room and never come out again!!:bye::bye::bye:

jackhfc
03-02-2011, 04:34 PM
Great stuff from Deeks, also found these two funny:greengrin

The presence of Sodje, who signed from Charlton on deadline day, will relieve some of the burden on Riordan.
The Scotland striker added: "He's brilliant in the air and he's dead strong - he's got a 12-pack; he's ripped."

St Mirren dropped to 11th place with the defeat and defender Marc McAusland is wary of Irn-Bru Second Division Ayr, who provide the opposition in the Scottish Cup on Saturday.
McAusland said: "It's a horrible place down there.

bighairyfaeleith
03-02-2011, 04:35 PM
Deeks just trying to jump on the bandwagon, he knows we are on a roll now and probably gonna snatch the title away from the filthy weedgies and so has changed his mind about leaving. Makes me sick it really does!!!

jackhfc
03-02-2011, 04:36 PM
Deeks for an 8 year contract:flag:

stokesmessiah
03-02-2011, 04:53 PM
With that kind of comment go into a dark room and never come out again!!:bye::bye::bye:

Im guessing you have not mastered the art of sarcasm ???

Maybe you should go and have a lie down.

WHOOSH !

steakbake
03-02-2011, 04:54 PM

This isn't a criticism of Riordan personally, but we all know how footballers operate - "I want to stay" often translates as "give me the money I'm asking for or I'm gone".

However, Calderwood brought in six players but none of them could be described as a replacement for Riordan - in fact they seem to be players who can help Riordan offer more to the team.

And I think he'd be mental if he goes to Rangers - both sides of his family would hate him, the Huns wouldn't take to him, and what does he do if it doesn't work out?

...come back to Hibs? :dunno:

Riordans Boots
03-02-2011, 05:01 PM

My take as well :agree: And hopefully Derek will be made an offfer he can't refuse :thumbsup:

Mon the Deekster :not worth

ancienthibby
03-02-2011, 05:11 PM

WHOOSH !

Since sarcasm is the lowest form of humour, I think you should stay there with the dregs.:taxi:taxi

Hibs07p
03-02-2011, 05:27 PM

My take also, with a bit of "wait & see who I can bring in to compliment your game, Deek". After all he must have been pissed off playing alongside some of those imposters every week.

sleeping giant
03-02-2011, 09:47 PM
Since sarcasm is the lowest form of humour, I think you should stay there with the dregs.:taxi:taxi
:agree:

Sarcasm doesn't work if you have to explain it :smokin

ballengeich
03-02-2011, 10:06 PM
My take also, with a bit of "wait & see who I can bring in to compliment your game, Deek". After all he must have been pissed off playing alongside some of those imposters every week.

As a further angle, Deek might not want to sign a contract and find himself in division 1. After yesterday evening I'd therefore be more hopeful we can keep him.

FranckSuzy
03-02-2011, 10:08 PM
Great stuff from Deeks, also found these two funny:greengrin

The presence of Sodje, who signed from Charlton on deadline day, will relieve some of the burden on Riordan.
The Scotland striker added: "He's brilliant in the air and he's dead strong - he's got a 12-pack; he's ripped."

St Mirren dropped to 11th place with the defeat and defender Marc McAusland is wary of Irn-Bru Second Division Ayr, who provide the opposition in the Scottish Cup on Saturday.
McAusland said: "It's a horrible place down there.

That's funny too :cool2: :greengrin

EasterRoad4Ever
03-02-2011, 10:10 PM

Franck is God
03-02-2011, 10:31 PM
If he is willing to put as much effort into every game as he did last night then I do hope that he is offered a new deal but I would be annoyed if it was outwith a sensible wage structure.

The last couple of seasons have shown what happens when you have 3 or 4 highly paid but the rest of the squad made up of lower tier players, huge inconsistency and at times some awful football.

£2-3k per week is a top wage in the SPL outside the OF and I for one would rather be paying £15k per week to six good quailty players than to just three.

This is what took Dundee Utd to 3rd last year and a Scottish cup win where as our results relied solely on whether Riordan or Stokes could score enough goals to win a game because the rest of the team was lacking the required quality.

I've been saying it for a long time, if Deek can be part of a team and not just the cherry on top then we have a player worth keeping but if he is just an individual then I don't think we can afford him.

Ryan69
04-02-2011, 06:58 AM
according to Daily Record anyway!

I reckon Deeks would be a very good captain for us too,especially as the situation is abit up in the air at the moment!

The Falcon
04-02-2011, 07:57 AM

Even I chuckled when he said that after the utter dross thats been posted on here about the board , CC and Riordan in the last wee while.

And I am maybe the s-l-ow-e-s-t on the uptake on here!:greengrin

ancienthibby
04-02-2011, 08:06 AM
Even I chuckled when he said that after the utter dross thats been posted on here about the board , CC and Riordan in the last wee while.

And I am maybe the s-l-ow-e-s-t on the uptake on here!:greengrin

That's only because your ears are bent over, squeezed in as you are in your place of work, under the Hibernian FC boardroom table!!

Septimus
04-02-2011, 08:16 AM
Would be good if he would back this sentiment up with some positive body language on the park.

hibsforeurope
04-02-2011, 08:18 AM
Would be good if he would back this sentiment up with some positive body language on the park.

I would prefer if he backed it up with goals just now. The body language may well improve when the feel good factor returns to Hibs.

The_Sauz
04-02-2011, 09:58 AM
I'm sure Deeks said this a few weeks ago when he asked for an extra £800 per week to stay at Hibs for the rest of his career!

The_Sauz
04-02-2011, 10:00 AM
according to Daily Record anyway!

I reckon Deeks would be a very good captain for us too,especially as the situation is abit up in the air at the moment!
:tee hee:
Sorry Ryan, but I just had to laugh at the bit in bold.

cheltenhamhibee
04-02-2011, 10:29 AM

As you say its classed as the lowest form of humour, it's also classed as the highest form of intelligence, so are folk who don't get it thick ? Or is it that they just don't have a sense of humour ? Or am i the exception to the rule as i'm thick but i get and love sarcasm !!! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Arch Stanton
04-02-2011, 11:18 AM

I thought that was good - in fact it's good that CC had the wherewithal to be nice considering the pressure he was under with where we are in league - not only that but he had to do his bingo team selections and then keep in touch with RP to find out who was coming in and who was leaving - talk about stressful!

Keith_M
04-02-2011, 11:57 AM

I heard, from a reliable source, that he threw a glass of Red Wine over Petrie as well.

ancienthibby
04-02-2011, 12:41 PM
As you say its classed as the lowest form of humour, it's also classed as the highest form of intelligence, so are folk who don't get it thick ? Or is it that they just don't have a sense of humour ? Or am i the exception to the rule as i'm thick but i get and love sarcasm !!! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

The original wisdom has it that 'sarcasm is the highest form of wit but the lowest form of intelligence'.:devil:

The Falcon
04-02-2011, 03:55 PM
[/B]

That's only because your ears are bent over, squeezed in as you are in your place of work, under the Hibernian FC boardroom table!!

And its probably why they gave me this gig :greengrin

ancienthibby
04-02-2011, 03:57 PM
And its probably why they gave me this gig :greengrin

Aye, we your public, ken that fine!!:cool2:

blackpoolhibs
04-02-2011, 04:59 PM
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/team/_/id/258/scotland?cc=5739

Goals and assists, why would anyone want rid?:confused:

Arch Stanton
04-02-2011, 06:09 PM
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/team/_/id/258/scotland?cc=5739

Goals and assists, why would anyone want rid?:confused:

He might be top of the pile of a team that's been flirting with relegation but his numbers really don't jump out and say he's indispensable.

However, now that we have a more attacking set-up with decent width and Sodje to do the graft up front then I can see him being a very important part of CC's plans.

blackpoolhibs
04-02-2011, 06:12 PM
He might be top of the pile of a team that's been flirting with relegation but his numbers really don't jump out and say he's indispensable.

However, now that we have a more attacking set-up with decent width and Sodje to do the graft up front then I can see him being a very important part of CC's plans.

I think they do. He's top scorer by a mile and has top assists in a struggling side, give us a decent team and he will produce even better stats imo.

Arch Stanton
04-02-2011, 06:26 PM
I think they do. He's top scorer by a mile and has top assists in a struggling side, give us a decent team and he will produce even better stats imo.

Fair enough, but in future I think the best measure of how Riordan is doing is going to be how many goals the team scores and not how many he scores.

The Green Goblin
04-02-2011, 06:46 PM

WHOOSH !

Sarcasm doesn't work if you have to explain it :smokin

The fact that the original post had a :devil: at the end should have made it pretty clear that the post was written tongue-in-cheek and also didn`t need to be explained. That is what the emoticons are for aren`t they?

GG

Keith_M
04-02-2011, 07:50 PM
The fact that the original post had a :devil: at the end should have made it pretty clear that the post was written tongue-in-cheek and also didn`t need to be explained. That is what the emoticons are for aren`t they?

GG

I thought so too. Just can't please some people.

sleeping giant
04-02-2011, 09:40 PM

GG

Aw FFS , i was being sarcastic :greengrin

Franck is God
05-02-2011, 09:16 AM

Top players stand out in poor sides, Derek does not and never has.

He can make a good team better but first we need a good team. It was a good goal he scored the other night and his performance was probably his best all round of the season.

Some fans need to stop making excuses for him, too many times I read or hear that he's not this type of player or that kind of player. The facts are that he is our best paid, most talented senior pro at the club and I don't think its too much to ask for him to act like it every week.

stokesmessiah
05-02-2011, 09:20 AM

GG

Hibbyradge
05-02-2011, 09:41 AM
Excellent PR, Derek. :wink:

The Green Goblin
05-02-2011, 12:14 PM
Aw FFS , i was being sarcastic :greengrin

:greengrin

GG