PDA

View Full Version : Football in Scotland (SHC)

patlowe
03-02-2011, 12:57 PM
Watching the game last night, you could tell Booth has been brought up playing football in the correct manner - technically gifted, relaxed on the ball and plays a short passing game. You could say the same for a lot of young players that have come through not only at Hibs but also at other Scottish clubs over the past five years. Spoony, Thomson, Stevenson, Hanlon, Fletch, Brown, the Hamilton, Motherwell and Aberdeen lads etc all go against the grain of the assumed long-ball culture of our game IMO (with varying levels of ability) so where does it all go wrong for Scottish football and the way we play in this country?

Monktonhall 7
03-02-2011, 01:35 PM
Thats a very good point and has been the case for years, although I personally blame the SFA & Potter.:greengrin

HUTCHYHIBBY
03-02-2011, 03:19 PM
The OF sign most of them. The pair of them dont care how they do it as long as they beat each other, I'm not convinced they are interested in player development, beating each other is there priority.

easty
03-02-2011, 03:23 PM
The OF sign most of them. The pair of them dont care how they do it as long as they beat each other, I'm not convinced they are interested in player development, beating each other is there priority.

It isnt just that though. A player can have all the technique in the world but when it comes to going into the first team in many of the SPL sides (probably SFL as well, I don't see any of it so couldnt say) its results that come first. Managers dont keep there jobs by encouraging the good young players to play the "right" way, they keep there jobs by getting the right results. it's getting that culture out that's going to be the problem. Though with the SPL being such a small league it's hard to change it.

greenlex
03-02-2011, 03:25 PM
Too many managers scared to play them in their late teens into their twenties. Too much pressure on the managers. The players move on to smaller clubs and become hacked off with the whole business. Chuck in the Scottish drinking culture and there you have it.
A 10 team top flight should go a good way to addressing these problems though:rolleyes:

Haymaker
03-02-2011, 03:25 PM
I would also think that alot of these technically gifted youngster are stunted at clubs whose managers are not forward thinking and up to modern training standards.

I see alot of it down here too as I work in football and I send talented kids, who have worked hard on technique, composure, skill and the like, on to other coaches as they get older to see them told "get the ball up there" rather than to develop a players intelligence slowly with guidance.