PDA

View Full Version : A Measured Response

Expecting Rain
03-02-2011, 09:41 AM
Players don`t suddenly become good or bad on the evidence of one game, last nights result was more than welcome but there is a lot of work ahead, the team has to gel as quickly as it can with the backing of all at the club.
With a consistently good attitude, the up and coming fixtures don`t look as daunting as they may have been, there is an opportunity in the next 5 or 6 fixtures to climb the table or at the very least steer clear of relegation, this would give us something to build on and make our progress enjoyable for the rest of the campaign.:flag:

matty_f
03-02-2011, 10:08 AM
Players don`t suddenly become good or bad on the evidence of one game, last nights result was more than welcome but there is a lot of work ahead, the team has to gel as quickly as it can with the backing of all at the club.
With a consistently good attitude, the up and coming fixtures don`t look as daunting as they may have been, there is an opportunity in the next 5 or 6 fixtures to climb the table or at the very least steer clear of relegation, this would give us something to build on and make our progress enjoyable for the rest of the campaign.:flag:

I think the big difference last night is a lot of the bad players were nowhere to be seen.

The left back slot which has been week since Murphy left was filled with a good youngster. Right back, again a problem position since Whittaker left, was filled with a good right back.

Hanlon has done well at centre half all season, IMHO, and will hopefully continue to improve, while Dickoh had as good a game last night as he did a bad one on Sunday.

The absolute key, IMHO, is the changes made in midfield. Ineffective players like Rankin, Stevenson, McBride, even Miller to an extent, were away from the starting 11 and replaced with players who bossed the midfield and won their individual battles.

Couple in Sodje replacing Nish and giving us someone who could hold the ball up and link play then suddenly those new players have revitalised our team and put a whole new look to it.

PeeJay
03-02-2011, 10:35 AM
Maybe we should wait and see how things pan out over a few games before we reach any decisions - lot of work to be done yet. Lots of promising moments last night though. I'm a bit perplexed by Sodje though: be interesting to see how he is when he's had a few games with us under his belt.

Expecting Rain
03-02-2011, 10:50 AM
I think the big difference last night is a lot of the bad players were nowhere to be seen.

The left back slot which has been week since Murphy left was filled with a good youngster. Right back, again a problem position since Whittaker left, was filled with a good right back.

Hanlon has done well at centre half all season, IMHO, and will hopefully continue to improve, while Dickoh had as good a game last night as he did a bad one on Sunday.

The absolute key, IMHO, is the changes made in midfield. Ineffective players like Rankin, Stevenson, McBride, even Miller to an extent, were away from the starting 11 and replaced with players who bossed the midfield and won their individual battles.

Couple in Sodje replacing Nish and giving us someone who could hold the ball up and link play then suddenly those new players have revitalised our team and put a whole new look to it.

Couldn`t argue with any of that, i thought i was in a minority of one regards Dickoh, i rate him and think he just lacks a bit of confidence, reminds me a bit of Martis who was very unlucky with own goals but ended up playing in the premiership.

Sir David Gray
03-02-2011, 11:08 AM
Last night was hugely needed to give us some confidence and with Hamilton losing the night before, it gives us a bit of immediate breathing space from them.

It was undoubtedly a step in the right direction but, in the grand scheme of things, we are absolutely miles away from where we should be. No-one at the club thinks that 10th is acceptable for a club like Hibs and although we did play well last night and there were a few very good individual displays, we were playing at home to one of the few teams that are probably genuinely worse than we were/are (yes, I know St Mirren went into last night's game above us in the league but they are bad).

The proof will be in the pudding if we can go away to places like Kilmarnock, St Johnstone and Motherwell and pick up three points. We'll even have a test in our next three matches when we're at home to Kilmarnock and Inverness (both top six sides) and away to St Mirren (we haven't won there in 12 years).

There was a definite improvement last night, but we're not quite at the point where I would say that we've turned the corner.

ozzie
03-02-2011, 11:09 AM
i said last night that perhaps with a very vocal commanding keeper behind him, ie stack last night dickoh's confidence could grow. i think knowing he has a confident keeper behind will be a big help. heres hoping it works out that way.

Baker9
03-02-2011, 11:16 AM
I have just watched the highlights on Hibernian TV. I know the mood is close to euphoric and if the highlights reflect the game properly so it should be. Shades of great teams of the past! Can't do measured response.:thumbsup: