PDA

View Full Version : Colin Nish

hibee-shtuggie
03-02-2011, 12:53 AM
Many people may be surprised to see me of all people to post this, but i would personally like to commend the big man this evening. when he came on he showed the work rate and desire i would like to see. well done colin!!!

Toaods
03-02-2011, 12:54 AM
He's murder.

Dunbar Hibee
03-02-2011, 12:55 AM
Thought he done well when he came on. Looked much more determined and was unlucky not to score. Well done big man.

Bayern Bru
03-02-2011, 12:56 AM
Second this.
I'll hold my hands up and admit to berating Nish a lot recently, and even had a wee yelp at him after he fluffed that sublime pass from Miller, but he put in a decent performance tonight - lifted perhaps by the positive fans? I'd hope so - but his workrate and effort was definitely to be commended.

Franck Stanton
03-02-2011, 01:04 AM
Second this.
I'll hold my hands up and admit to berating Nish a lot recently, and even had a wee yelp at him after he fluffed that sublime pass from Miller, but he put in a decent performance tonight - lifted perhaps by the positive fans? I'd hope so - but his workrate and effort was definitely to be commended.

" Fluffed that sublime pass" ...................{code for almost fell on his arse}, yes his workrate was better but, there are still a lot better players out there who would contribute more given the game-time he gets.

Hibbyradge
03-02-2011, 06:07 AM
His contribution was important tonight.

He did well.

RIP
03-02-2011, 07:35 AM
Firstly Colin hates hoofball

But if we have wingers and attacking full-backs Nish will score goals

Colin made a great run into the box but Deek chose to try and dribble round three men and shoot

Centre forwards need supply - having said that the competition from Sodjer will make him work harder

Next person I hear boo Colin (or any other Hibby for that matter) is gonnae get a size 12 in his erchie

lucky
03-02-2011, 07:45 AM
I actually seen Nish jump for a ball. Hope he continues to try cos he looked ok when he came on.

Keith_M
03-02-2011, 07:52 AM
I actually seen Nish jump for a ball. Hope he continues to try cos he looked ok when he came on.

You're kidding, right? He's the only player I've seen that jumps to a lower height than when he's standing straight!

Ah, the old ones are the best :greengrin

Ritchie
03-02-2011, 07:59 AM
last nights performance was definately an improvement.... but thats not saying much is it.

still showed signs of the frustrating pantomime villian we all have got used to.

i hope he continues to improve and shuts us all up by scoring goals. :agree:

down-the-slope
03-02-2011, 08:00 AM
coming on to a team that was wining in a positive atmosphre....and also i think the realisation that he was replacing a player who is going to have his place if he does not improve all helped...

i agree about the style of play...not since the days of Murphy & Whitty have we seen full back play supporting the attack...will lead more chances and goals

khib70
03-02-2011, 08:34 AM
" Fluffed that sublime pass" ...................{code for almost fell on his arse}, yes his workrate was better but, there are still a lot better players out there who would contribute more given the game-time he gets.
Precisely. He made a complete Horlicks of a very fine through ball from Miller. Miller did far better than Nish did after coming on, but I don't see him getting any credit.

Nish was inept and largely ineffective. Apart from the above ballsup he laid the ball off to noone several times, and failed to win anything significant in the air.

But hey, he tries hard:blah:

Last night was great to watch because the team as a whole had so many important qualities that we'd lacked for too long. One of those was winning balls in the air in their half, keeping possession and playing others in - all of which Sodje did well. That particular department went back to previous standards the moment Nish came on.

He wasn't as terrible as he has been all season, but that hardly merits the personal open-topped bus some people seem to be handing him.

Frogga
03-02-2011, 08:39 AM
I think the moment he chased their midfielder back to make the sliding tackle was the moment which summed up the fight and commitment the team as a whole showed last night.

Go on yourself Nishy :aok:

hibee_girl
03-02-2011, 09:14 AM
Nish did well last night but again the usual people in the crowd found it fitting to boo him before he'd even stepped onto the pitch :rolleyes:

I think the pressure is off Nish now that we've brought in Sodje and we'll start to see a better Nish, like the one who got us into Europe at the end of last season :cool2:

H18sry
03-02-2011, 09:18 AM
:cool2:

fife hfc
03-02-2011, 09:22 AM
Nish came on and made a valuable contribution. Long may it continue.

Shrekko
03-02-2011, 09:27 AM
I'd pretty much lost patience with Nishy but thought he did really well last night.

I actually thought Sodje had an absolute nightmare, or at best a really poor game- the sort of performance Nish would have been crucified for, but yet folk are saying he was winning everything and holding the ball up etc. and he got a standing ovation. It's funny how the blinkers go on when it's a new or popular player and folk see what they want to see.

I'm more than prepared to give Sodje a chance, but think it would also make sense for folk just to get behind Nish seeing as he's going to be here till the end of the season and will most likely play a part at some point. He can be a useful player when his confidence is up.

xyz23jc
03-02-2011, 09:31 AM
:cool2:

:thumbsup::greengrin:top marksNearly choked on me toast there!!! FAF...

lapsedhibee
03-02-2011, 09:32 AM
I'd pretty much lost patience with Nishy but thought he did really well last night.

I actually thought Sodje had an absolute nightmare, or at best a really poor game- the sort of performance Nish would have been crucified for, but yet folk are saying he was winning everything and holding the ball up etc. and he got a standing ovation. It's funny how the blinkers go on when it's a new or popular player and folk see what they want to see.

I'm more than prepared to give Sodje a chance, but think it would also make sense for folk just to get behind Nish seeing as he's going to be here till the end of the season and will most likely play a part at some point. He can be a useful player when his confidence is up.

They're obviously different types of player, but Sodje got himself on the end of pretty much everything that was hoofed up to/at him. He jumped, didn't fall over, wasn't offside, didn't claim for non-existent fouls, and - apart from his shooting - did excellently well. Nishy came on and tried harder than usual, but not sure what exactly his 'valuable contribution' was - what was it? :dunno:

blackpoolhibs
03-02-2011, 09:34 AM
He did ok when coming on last night, but i wont be getting all sentimental regarding him. The new guy also did ok too, but imo we need better than both next season.

Although Sodjke may improve and 1 game is not really long enough to form any real view on, but on last night although better than what we are used to, he looks to me a stop gap signing?

Shrekko
03-02-2011, 09:52 AM
They're obviously different types of player, but Sodje got himself on the end of pretty much everything that was hoofed up to/at him. He jumped, didn't fall over, wasn't offside, didn't claim for non-existent fouls, and - apart from his shooting - did excellently well. Nishy came on and tried harder than usual, but not sure what exactly his 'valuable contribution' was - what was it? :dunno:

I dont want to start slating Sodje as conditions were very difficult and it was his first game but I disagree with your assessment of his performance. You disagree that Nish made a decent contribution and I'm not getting into an argument over it.

Just think we should be getting behind all the players- I don't think it was right to give a guy a standing ovation then have some folk boo his replacement. Not many did but it was still audible. It's time to put all that pathetic nonsense aside and back the team- like most folk did last night.

--------
03-02-2011, 09:56 AM
You're kidding, right? He's the only player I've seen that jumps to a lower height than when he's standing straight!

Ah, the old ones are the best :greengrin

You forgotten the Mali Magician? :cool2:

lapsedhibee
03-02-2011, 10:12 AM
Just think we should be getting behind all the players- I don't think it was right to give a guy a standing ovation then have some folk boo his replacement. Not many did but it was still audible.

A few did and it was pathetic. But there was a patch after Miller and Nish came on where a lot around me were getting nervous that the earlier oomph was evaporating and the performance might revert to same old same old. In the end that didn't happen, but I thought it was more that those two players got caught up in the general team enthusiasm than that they generated any of it themselves.

jacomo
03-02-2011, 10:14 AM
He did ok when coming on last night, but i wont be getting all sentimental regarding him. The new guy also did ok too, but imo we need better than both next season.

Although Sodjke may improve and 1 game is not really long enough to form any real view on, but on last night although better than what we are used to, he looks to me a stop gap signing?

Is Sodje here til the end of the season or longer than that?

blackpoolhibs
03-02-2011, 10:19 AM
Is Sodje here til the end of the season or longer than that?

I think he signed for 18 months?

hibbymac
03-02-2011, 10:24 AM

This is not a dig or a sarcastic question but were you at the game?

It was far from being an outstanding performance or a bit early to be calling him the new messiah, but to say he had " an absolute nightmare" or " a really poor game" is way off the mark, ...... IMO.

blackpoolhibs
03-02-2011, 10:41 AM
I think he did ok, but a bit like the fans in Dublin when Zibi came for the first cross in his first game and caught it. We all went overboard because we wanted a keeper, and it didn't seem to matter who it was, just as long as it was not Simon Brown.

I get the impression we just want someone who is not Colin Nish? I think he looked a little better than Nish, although he will have to do a lot more to convince me he's a long term prospect.

erin go bragh
03-02-2011, 10:46 AM
Precisely. He made a complete Horlicks of a very fine through ball from Miller. Miller did far better than Nish did after coming on, but I don't see him getting any credit.

Nish was inept and largely ineffective. Apart from the above ballsup he laid the ball off to noone several times, and failed to win anything significant in the air.

But hey, he tries hard:blah:

Last night was great to watch because the team as a whole had so many important qualities that we'd lacked for too long. One of those was winning balls in the air in their half, keeping possession and playing others in - all of which Sodje did well. That particular department went back to previous standards the moment Nish came on.

He wasn't as terrible as he has been all season, but that hardly merits the personal open-topped bus some people seem to be handing him.
did you not see him win at least to 2 headed flick ons [massive improvement from the big guy] cmon, he did more in 20 mins last night than he managed in 160min ,hun/utd game, maybe if we all get of the guys back he will continue to improve . well done every player last night .
ggtth:flag:

ancient hibee
03-02-2011, 10:49 AM
I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned that one of the reasons Nish looked better(he could have had a hat trick)is that the St.Mirren central defence had lost the plot and had had a hard physical work out for an hour.Suspect that might have been something to do with Sodje.

moggie
03-02-2011, 11:15 AM
I just wonder why he falls to his knees for no apparant reason, he done it again last night when he never got touched but lost the ball. He doesnt even do it in style:cool2:

Phil MaGlass
03-02-2011, 11:17 AM
Isnt it amazing the change a few faces make to a team, players are now worried about losing their places in the team, from what I am reading, every player was busting a gut last nite.

Sammy7nil
03-02-2011, 11:19 AM

Very close to my thinking. I thought Oh no when Nish fell over the through ball, but to be fair he got up got on with it and showed the commitment that has been lacking for months. Well done.

Sodje is exactly what the Charlton fans said good effort lacking in any quality, good knock on for Rioran but I would get new shooting boots if I was him :wink:

Dont see either playing a part next season.

lapsedhibee
03-02-2011, 11:23 AM
Sodje is exactly what the Charlton fans said good effort lacking in any quality, good knock on for Rioran but I would get new shooting boots if I was him :wink:

One step at a time. At least his boots have studs in them, which is a welcome improvement. :wink:

Shrekko
03-02-2011, 11:26 AM
This is not a dig or a sarcastic question but were you at the game?

It was far from being an outstanding performance or a bit early to be calling him the new messiah, but to say he had " an absolute nightmare" or " a really poor game" is way off the mark, ...... IMO.

I was at the game thanks yes.

I'm desperately not wanting to criticise so I'm not going to say much more but I do believe Nish would have got pelters for a performance like that- the finishing in particular. Some folk have gone way OTT in their praise IMO. Perhaps 'nightmare' was too strong, but I don't think a lot came off for him and he looks like a guy who is very uncomfortable in shooting positions which obviously isn't ideal for a striker. I'll repeat though- I accept conditions were difficult.

He did add a physical presence and hopefully he'll find his feet soon- I'm right behind him.

Franck is God
03-02-2011, 11:30 AM
I was pleased with the attitude and application from all three subs used last night.

Nish came on and had 30 mins and continued to give the saints defence a torrid time as Sodje did, I was right behind Millers pass, Nish made a really good run and it clipped his heel on the way through. He linked with Deek well and his touch and runs off the ball made a lot of space for Riordan & Spoony who both had chances.

Miller was constantly looking for the ball and used it well in possession, couldn't ask anymore.

Galbraith got on the ball a lot in the last five and kept it in their half not ours.

GreenCastle
03-02-2011, 11:36 AM
I was pleased with the attitude and application from all three subs used last night.

Nish came on and had 30 mins and continued to give the saints defence a torrid time as Sodje did, I was right behind Millers pass, Nish made a really good run and it clipped his heel on the way through. He linked with Deek well and his touch and runs off the ball made a lot of space for Riordan & Spoony who both had chances.

Miller was constantly looking for the ball and used it well in possession, couldn't ask anymore.

Galbraith got on the ball a lot in the last five and kept it in their half not ours.

:agree:

Right now in our situation we need Nish working like that - that will get the fans off his back.

We know he's limited but coming on to replace Sodje who had worked hard and kept the pressure on the Saints defense made it easier to keep the 3 points.

Let's hope the competition for places and confidence grows after last night :aok:

jackhfc
03-02-2011, 03:09 PM
Coming on for 20 odd minutes and doing ok is not justifiable for the last year and a half of consistently poor performances, I know it was an improvement on his usual but it will take a good few more performances like that from him to win me over:agree:

blackpoolhibs
03-02-2011, 03:13 PM
Coming on for 20 odd minutes and doing ok is not justifiable for the last year and a half of consistently poor performances, I know it was an improvement on his usual but it will take a good few more performances like that from him to win me over:agree:

Is he out of contract in the summer? If he is, there is not enough time left for him to impress me enough, that he should be offered a new contract.

jackhfc
03-02-2011, 03:26 PM
Is he out of contract in the summer? If he is, there is not enough time left for him to impress me enough, that he should be offered a new contract.

Yeah, pretty sure he is, thank god!:thumbsup:

SODJE, THERES ONLY 3 SODJE'S:flag:

Hibee Daz
03-02-2011, 03:44 PM
I agree that Nish did well when he came on and by well I mean at least 20 times better than usual!

Why has it taken the signing of Sodje to put a bullet up his erky?
Yes we have a stengthened midfield which helped his game, but when we did resort to hoofing it he was winning flick-ons like Sodje did and he held the ball up better to bring others into play, which to be honest really surprised me.

So IMO Nishy should stop selling us short with pathetic embarrassing displays and show a bit more pride like he did last night.

Criswell
03-02-2011, 03:47 PM
Didn't see much of an improvement in Nish's performance last night; perhaps marginally better. Sodje did well at holding the ball up and with his linking play; however the less said about his shooting the better!

DH1875
03-02-2011, 06:31 PM

I don't think he will sign but Nish will be offered a new contract with us :agree:.

Franck is God
03-02-2011, 09:14 PM

I like Nish and always have as a player for and against us and has to be tricky to play against for any SPL defence. The stick he gets from certain sections of the Hibs support is quite frankly ridiculous, he is exactly what we paid for, a £100k mid table SPL striker. At that level he will have good games, bad games and awful games but what you will always get is effort and that is why he was signed and picked every week by Mixu, Yogi & regularly by CC too.

I think he will play a major part in the rest of the season for us and will contribute goals and assists like he has done since he arrived.

And if he is offered a new contract (and I hope he is) then it will be because the manager appreciates what he offers as a member of the first team squad.

blackpoolhibs
03-02-2011, 10:46 PM
I like Nish and always have as a player for and against us and has to be tricky to play against for any SPL defence. The stick he gets from certain sections of the Hibs support is quite frankly ridiculous, he is exactly what we paid for, a £100k mid table SPL striker. At that level he will have good games, bad games and awful games but what you will always get is effort and that is why he was signed and picked every week by Mixu, Yogi & regularly by CC too.

I think he will play a major part in the rest of the season for us and will contribute goals and assists like he has done since he arrived.

And if he is offered a new contract (and I hope he is) then it will be because the manager appreciates what he offers as a member of the first team squad.

I dont think he's a tricky player for defences to play against, tricky players are like zemamma or Mickey Weir, Nish is easy to mark, easy to bully and easy to out pace.

He does get ridiculous stick, and should never be subjected to any during the games.

Although he did cost us £100k, i think we'd struggle to get 100 quid now if we tried to sell him. Ivan Sproule cost £5k David murphy cost nowt, Alan O'brien cost £300k, it does not matter what you cost, its the performance on the park that matter, and he does not warrant another contract.

snooky
03-02-2011, 10:52 PM
I dont think he's a tricky player for defences to play against, tricky players are like zemamma or Mickey Weir, Nish is easy to mark, easy to bully and easy to out pace.

He does get ridiculous stick, and should never be subjected to any during the games.

Although he did cost us £100k, i think we'd struggle to get 100 quid now if we tried to sell him. Ivan Sproule cost £5k David murphy cost nowt, Alan O'brien cost £300k, it does not matter what you cost, its the performance on the park that matter, and he does not warrant another contract.

Oh how I miss those guys.

delbert
03-02-2011, 10:56 PM
Sorry but 20 minutes doing not too bad does not constitute enough to be offered a new contract IMHO. Sodje was able to hold the ball up and bring other players into the game, as well as win the majority of headed balls he went for, including setting up the first goal in exactly the same manner. He also managed not to fall on ass every time anybody came within 3 or 4 feet of him, and this on a very windy night, these are all things that Colin Nish has patently failed to do for almost two seasons at least.

He may well be a Hibby, he may well be a good lad, and I am well aware he has scored quite a few goals, but I would punt him in a heartbeat at the end of the season along with a number of others. It was the new players who got the crowd up last night and made the difference, not Colin Nish, and any supposed centre forward who can be in one on one with a defender and then lose out by being tackled by the ball is'nt up to the job, it looked funny at the time but really it was'nt it was just pathetic. CC has started the process of getting rid of the deadwood, and I hope he continues this ruthlessly in the summer because players like Nish are never going to take this club forwards, there are better out there, and I look forward to at least another half dozen players coming in during the August window.

moggie
03-02-2011, 10:59 PM

I would have thought by allowing him permission to travel over to cyprus during the season and talk to another club would pretty much say hes not exactly wanted next season by CC.