PDA

View Full Version : Hanlon and Booth improving every game

GreenCastle
02-02-2011, 10:54 PM
Trying not to get carried away but these two continue to get better and better with games.

Keep up the impressive displays :agree::thumbsup:

nelson10.
02-02-2011, 10:56 PM
:agree:

truehibernian
02-02-2011, 11:00 PM
Have to agree, both were my MOM, with Palsson not far behind.

Hanlon won all his headers against Higdon, cleared his lines, and there was one tackle second half, inside the box where he covered so much ground after a Booth error, that for me was a matchwinner.

Booth has such sublime control, what a wonderful left foot, and isn't it refreshing to see a full back get forward as much as he did with such confidence and pace.

As CC said though, the crowd were superb tonight. The players looked really happy and looked like they appreciated it fully.

Once that midfield gels we will have some team going forward. The new striker though........we may have to accept he will be a cult figure. Bet he scores the odd screamer but also bet we may have to employ ball boys in the top of the South and the FF. Won his headers though and looks fit as a fiddle.

GreenCastle
02-02-2011, 11:07 PM
Have to agree, both were my MOM, with Palsson not far behind.

Hanlon won all his headers against Higdon, cleared his lines, and there was one tackle second half, inside the box where he covered so much ground after a Booth error, that for me was a matchwinner.

Booth has such sublime control, what a wonderful left foot, and isn't it refreshing to see a full back get forward as much as he did with such confidence and pace.

As CC said though, the crowd were superb tonight. The players looked really happy and looked like they appreciated it fully.

Once that midfield gels we will have some team going forward. The new striker though........we may have to accept he will be a cult figure. Bet he scores the odd screamer but also bet we may have to employ ball boys in the top of the South and the FF. Won his headers though and looks fit as a fiddle.

I said that at the time - was very important challenge.

Booth looks VERY comfortable on the ball and not scared to go forward.

We were spoilt with Murphy so to have an attacking defender is a joy to watch.

Hibby Bairn
02-02-2011, 11:09 PM
CC has also unearthed a proper footballer in Towell. Very good. Hart is a distant memory.

.Sean.
02-02-2011, 11:13 PM
Hanlon was solid and B had a cracking game at LB, other than that slice in the first half!

GreenCastle
02-02-2011, 11:14 PM
CC has also unearthed a proper footballer in Towell. Very good. Hart is a distant memory.

Considering he is young he looks very confident to get the ball.

His throw is a weapon and you never know might want to stay at ER if he feels he will get 1st team football.

Obviously his size may be exposed with long balls etc but promising start.

sleeping giant
02-02-2011, 11:16 PM

He's classy. Has a football brain too.

monktonharp
02-02-2011, 11:33 PM
both stood up wi' their chests out tonight, and became men. Booth was my top player tonight, his surges forward were excellent.:flag:

RickyS
02-02-2011, 11:36 PM
Trying not to get carried away but these two continue to get better and better with games.

at one point in the first half I thought we had signed Gareth Bale, the lad seems to have tremendous potential:not worth

GreenCastle
02-02-2011, 11:42 PM
at one point in the first half I thought we had signed Gareth Bale, the lad seems to have tremendous potential:not worth

Easy tiger :greengrin

Kevvy1875
02-02-2011, 11:47 PM

I allowed this thought to cross my mind at one point before giving myself a wee reality check:greengrin

early days for the lad but he is defo living up to his promise so far!

Baldy Foghorn
02-02-2011, 11:54 PM

I really like the look of Booth, so composed for a young man, also like Towell.... Great having decent full backs.... Hanlon is steady as ever.....

KWJ
03-02-2011, 12:03 AM
Was it not just 3 days ago Hanlon was getting dogs abuse? Thought he had another accomplished game and Booth is very exciting.

hibee_nation
03-02-2011, 12:18 AM
Was it not just 3 days ago Hanlon was getting dogs abuse? Thought he had another accomplished game and Booth is very exciting.

If we can string a few more wins and take the pressure of threat of relagation of the shoulders of the young lads i think we have yet to see the best from them. The next golden generation may not be too far behind afterall. :aok:

Bookkeeper
03-02-2011, 12:27 AM

:agree: Heres hoping!

Both full backs looked very good. Hope we try to get Towell on a permanent deal.

hibee_nation
03-02-2011, 12:31 AM

Both full backs looked very good. Hope we try to get Towell on a permanent deal.

It's a pity we could not have got him signed up and only on a loan deal. Celtc will probably be hard to deal with when his loan ends and he ends up in england. Hope not as he reminds me of Murphy, something we have badly missed.

The Harp Awakes
03-02-2011, 12:31 AM

If that's true then it is well wide of the mark.

Paul Hanlon is a star in the making. Reads the game like a seasoned pro and is getting stronger as he gets older. He stood up to a very physical and awkward CF in Higdon tonight and gave a MOM performance.

I just hope the press continue to stay low key with Paul as we want to hold onto him as long as possible.

As for CB, he's looked good in the few games he's played for the 1st team. Well done CC for giving the lad a chance at the most difficult of times:agree:

Dunbar Hibee
03-02-2011, 12:36 AM
Boothy is improving with every game he plays, fantastic to see him do so well.

KWJ
03-02-2011, 12:39 AM
If that's true then it is well wide of the mark.

Paul Hanlon is a star in the making. Reads the game like a seasoned pro and is getting stronger as he gets older. He stood up to a very physical and awkward CF in Higdon tonight and gave a MOM performance.

I just hope the press continue to stay low key with Paul as we want to hold onto him as long as possible.

As for CB, he's looked good in the few games he's played for the 1st team. Well done CC for giving the lad a chance at the most difficult of times:agree:

http://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?203267-Taxi-for-Dickoh

Some harsh words in this thread but some praise too.

Perspective
03-02-2011, 12:45 AM
Booth is a bit one-footed and could cost us on the odd occasion defensively (Hanlon bailed him out at one point tonight) but what potential he has.

Surging runs down the left, a good cross and not afraid to cut inside and switch the play.

Hanlon gets better and better with every game. For a young guy in a struggling team he's really showing he's made of the right stuff. He'll be a better player and character for coming through all the struggles.

GreenCastle
03-02-2011, 11:49 AM
Booth is a bit one-footed and could cost us on the odd occasion defensively (Hanlon bailed him out at one point tonight) but what potential he has.

Surging runs down the left, a good cross and not afraid to cut inside and switch the play.

Hanlon gets better and better with every game. For a young guy in a struggling team he's really showing he's made of the right stuff. He'll be a better player and character for coming through all the struggles.

Hanlon has future captain written all over him - the question is how long he will stay.

He will make mistakes along the way but for a 21 year old he has now played 51 games for Hibs.

shamo9
03-02-2011, 12:15 PM
Hanlon, Wotherspoon, Booth, Towell, Palsson, Galbraith and Thornhill - a few good young players kicking about the first team:wink:

blackpoolhibs
03-02-2011, 12:18 PM
Hanlon has still to convince me, last night was one of his best performances i have seen. He did play well, against a decent player who gave him a good battle. Perhaps having a better midfield in front of him helped? If he can continue like that, he will be a permanent fixture in the team. Booth just looks quality, and if he continues to improve, we will have a superstar in our side.

Baker9
03-02-2011, 12:23 PM
Hanlon has still to convince me, last night was one of his best performances i have seen. He did play well, against a decent player who gave him a good battle. Perhaps having a better midfield in front of him helped? If he can continue like that, he will be a permanent fixture in the team. Booth just looks quality, and if he continues to improve, we will have a superstar in our side.

Got it in one.:agree: Three midfield signings - completely new team.

PeterboroHibee
03-02-2011, 12:25 PM

Hanlon has future captain written all over him - the question is how long he will stay.

He will make mistakes along the way but for a 21 year old he has now played 51 games for Hibs.

He will make mistakes but thats just natural for a young guy, hes already looking like a great CB though; looking at him and Dickoh, he already looks like a far more accomplished CB (and Dickohs what, 7 years older and capped for Ghana!), if he continues to progress we will have some player on our hands.

So glad Booth is getting a game as well, dont think weve had a decent LB since Murphy!

As for Towell, is he out of contract in the summer? Would be great if they tried to get him signed up so we would more or less have a settled defence for next season!

scoopyboy
03-02-2011, 12:28 PM

I think we have to give Hanlon time.

If you look around most top leagues there are very few centre backs playing who are young. Most youngsters play elsewhere.

Paul has only turned 21 and IMO would have progressed quicker if he had an old head beside him, basically on the pitch he is having to learn himself.

If Webster does come as well as helping the team no end I think we will help Hanlon's progress.

As for Boothy I think the sky is the limit if he can continue to progress, its easy to see why the club recently gave him a 4.5 year deal.

GreenCastle
03-02-2011, 12:33 PM

Like Scoopyboy says I think he's learning the hard way with Dickoh playing beside him :greengrin Though Dickoh was much better 2nd half last night.

A Rob Jones / Webster type alongside him would be a massive boost - add to that having a keeper who isn't a bombscare behind him.

truehibernian
03-02-2011, 12:37 PM

If you look around most top leagues there are very few centre backs playing who are young. Most youngsters play elsewhere.

Paul has only turned 21 and IMO would have progressed quicker if he had an old head beside him, basically on the pitch he is having to learn himself.

If Webster does come as well as helping the team no end I think we will help Hanlon's progress.

As for Boothy I think the sky is the limit if he can continue to progress, its easy to see why the club recently gave him a 4.5 year deal.

Agree scoopy, but what also pleased me was seeing Paul a couple of times coach Booth through the game after a couple of slight mistakes. Makes a world of difference having someone beside you that has been there and done that. Both were excellent, and again, Hanlon's tackle inside the box to prevent the St's player getting his shot away was just sublime.

The midfield protection also meant our defence got protection too. Palsson and Murray scared the life out of that Saints midfield time and time again. Great to see.

Seveno
03-02-2011, 01:27 PM

We were spoiled with having Whittaker and Murphy at the same time and this has been a serious loss in terms of width and attacking option. If we can keep Towle then Booth and him could be better than W & M.

oconnors_strip
03-02-2011, 01:41 PM

but he can score with both feet:thumbsup:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQXN61jePrk

blackpoolhibs
03-02-2011, 02:04 PM

I agree Hanlon needs time, in the past i have felt he lacked a little pace and his positioning was a little suspect. Last night i thought he was good, and his composure on the ball was A LOT better than i have seen. More of the same please. :top marks
I think having a decent keeper behind him, talking to the whole back 4, and a midfield in front of him will obviously help him.

truehibernian
03-02-2011, 02:07 PM
Agree BH, and also add in that Higdon must be a nightmare to play against. Hanlon won all his battles with him and cleared his lines when in doubt (bar the Stack header occasion.....head in hands moment). Solid, good performance from both the centre halves last night, especially Paul Hanlon.

--------
03-02-2011, 02:08 PM

Like Scoopyboy says I think he's learning the hard way with Dickoh playing beside him :greengrin Though Dickoh was much better 2nd half last night.

A Rob Jones / Webster type alongside him would be a massive boost - add to that having a keeper who isn't a bombscare behind him.

Webster aye - not Jones. Jones lacked experience himself, and had no idea at all about holding a high line. He was so slow over the ground he tended to drop back and back through the game until he was playing right on the keeper's toes. He got away with it with Maka, but I do remember the Monk giving him pelters on more than one occasion. I would NOT want Jones mentoring ANY young defender.

When Scott comes back in, we could do worse than play Murray beside Hanlon - Hanlon as stopper and Murray as sweeper?

But we have a bounce game going on this afternoon - CC may be looking at a defender or two as we post....

Seanair
03-02-2011, 02:22 PM

Where IS Hart these days? Still on the books? (Can't keep up with all these ins and outs!)
And what about Stephens? Under 21 Welsh CB internationalist. Has only played a few minutes at CF in our first team. Is he really worse than Dicko? Has he gone too?