PDA

View Full Version : Take a bow Spoony

Lofarl
02-02-2011, 10:11 PM
Dunno who got motm as east stand was bouncing but for me he had his best game in a hibs shirt. Got stuck in and ran tirelessly for 90 mins and played some great passes.

Thomson
02-02-2011, 10:12 PM
Dunno who got motm as east stand was bouncing but for me he had his best game in a hibs shirt. Got stuck in and ran tirelessly for 90 mins and played some great passes.

Hopefully getting his form back from 1.5 to 2 year ago. :top marks

Kevvy1875
02-02-2011, 10:13 PM

Yep MOM for me too.

Deeks got MOM.

Liam89
02-02-2011, 10:16 PM
Palsson/spoony motm for me but he was immense really glad to see him get the goal obviously meant a lot to him.

sahib
02-02-2011, 10:18 PM
Yep MOM for me too.

Deeks got MOM.

Well deserved in my opinion, he ran his spindly wee legs off. No more lone striker roles for Derek please. Spoony was good too.

Wotherspiniesta
02-02-2011, 10:19 PM
Really pleased for him tonight. Thought he was superb. He obviously loves playing against St Mirren :greengrin

Spooony, Spoooony, Spooony :not worth:not worth:not worth

Diclonius
02-02-2011, 10:21 PM
I'll say it.. Spoony played like Zemmama today. Keep it up and the number 7 shirt's all yours, David. :agree:

essexhibee
02-02-2011, 10:26 PM
Palsson/spoony motm for me but he was immense really glad to see him get the goal obviously meant a lot to him.

Wild celebration?

GreenCastle
02-02-2011, 10:47 PM
1st half average but 2nd half he was best player on the pitch.

Great work rate - good on the ball and took his goal very well :thumbsup:

Glad he scored - hopefully like Deeks his confidence will get back up to where it should be :agree:

Jonnyboy
02-02-2011, 10:50 PM
Spoony put in a good shift but on a night when a fair few turned in good performances my vote goes to Booth who was outstanding throughout :agree:

whereswallace?
02-02-2011, 10:53 PM
1st half average but 2nd half he was best player on the pitch.

Great work rate - good on the ball and took his goal very well :thumbsup:

Glad he scored - hopefully like Deeks his confidence will get back up to where it should be :agree:

I share this opinion, second half he was outstanding. My MOTM was Palsson though,cant remember the last time i seen a player fight for and win so many balls in the middle of the park for us. Superb, long may this continue.

Kevvy1875
02-02-2011, 10:55 PM
Loving this!

Cannot remember when a there has last been such a discussion on .net

3 or 4 real contenders for MOM tonight and the rest of the team all solid to boot:agree:

Alex Trager
02-02-2011, 10:57 PM
Spoony put in a good shift but on a night when a fair few turned in good performances my vote goes to Booth who was outstanding throughout :agree:

I thought Wotherspoon definitely was man of the match both halves

Jonnyboy
02-02-2011, 11:00 PM
I thought Wotherspoon definitely was man of the match both halves

I've no problem with you thinking that Sean :greengrin

oconnors_strip
02-02-2011, 11:02 PM
Wild celebration?

david was planning to do a dance to celebrate but was jumped upon by hibs team mates so next time lucky:greengrin

HibbiesandtheBaddies
02-02-2011, 11:03 PM
Glad he got his goal tonight, hopefully help him kick on again.

random sub
02-02-2011, 11:03 PM
Real effort from Spoony, took his goal well and celebrated the win well

Sir David Gray
03-02-2011, 12:15 AM
Played well in the second half and that was capped off with a wonderfully taken goal at the end.

He also showed a great bit of skill over on the east stand side in the second half when he knocked the ball past the defender and chased it to the byline before getting a cross in.

Hopefully his goal will have given him the confidence to get back to being the sort of player that we saw in the first few months of last season because there is no doubt that his performance levels have been poor (although which Hibs player's performance levels haven't been?) over the past year or so.

joebakerforever
03-02-2011, 01:36 AM
I thought all the Hibs team, including subs, played well tonight.

I would give Spoony the MotM however, full of effort, mazy runs, capped off with a tremendous goal.

It was really pissing it down walking home tonight, but it was a case of "Singing in the Rain" :greengrin

P.S. CC was more animated tonight than I have previously witnessed.

FromTheCapital
03-02-2011, 11:09 AM
My dad who was there was sitting in front of these people that booed everything Wotherspoon tried last night, They were calling for Wotherspoon to get off who he thought ran his socks off last night, Then he shut them up with that good finish in the dying seconds, Well done David ! :aok:

Stevie Reid
03-02-2011, 11:14 AM
My dad who was there was sitting in front of these people that booed everything Wotherspoon tried last night, They were calling for Wotherspoon to get off who he thought ran his socks off last night, Then he shut them up with that good finish in the dying seconds, Well done David ! :aok:

I certainly wasn't booing, I never boo anyone in a Hibs jersey, but I thought Wotherspoon's contribution was very poor until the last ten minutes last night. He gave the ball away with almost every touch he had, and compounded his errors with giving away a silly foul on many occasions too, putting us under pressure from set pieces. He almost put us in real danger at one point with a crazy pass deep inside our half in the second period.

I was delighted to see the fantastic bit of skill on the bye line and his contribution that led up to his brilliant goal, and hope to see more of the same on a regular basis.

truehibernian
03-02-2011, 11:14 AM

Workrate especially second half was immense from young David. First half I thought his first touch deserted him a few times, but one thing about him is he always makes himself available. Second half his wing play was brilliant......the only slight negative was that he gave away three or four similar fouls in quick succession when Saints players were deep in their own half......but again, only a slight criticism of an otherwise full blooded, energetic performance capped by a wonderful finish in the end. He will be a top player for us, hopefully with confidence building throughout the side. What a difference though players like Palsson and Thornhill make to take the pressure off ball winning in that area. DW can now concentrate on doing what he is superb at and driving down the right, cutting inside and out.

benrocky
03-02-2011, 11:16 AM

Some people don't know a good footballer when they see one :rolleyes:

GreenPJ
03-02-2011, 11:17 AM

I think people forget that Spoony is still young and learning. Not least he keeps on getting moved position. I think he will benefit from a Towell being behind him and creating an overlap and expect him to come on leaps and bounds.

He so reminds me of a young Whitty when he runs effortlessly at people the advantage is at right midfield or attacking midfield he can do that without having to panic about RB spot.

The Harp
03-02-2011, 11:54 AM
I think people forget that Spoony is still young and learning. Not least he keeps on getting moved position. I think he will benefit from a Towell being behind him and creating an overlap and expect him to come on leaps and bounds.

He so reminds me of a young Whitty when he runs effortlessly at people the advantage is at right midfield or attacking midfield he can do that without having to panic about RB spot.

Quite right GPJ. He's a young guy wi' great potential. Fair enough, his form has been a bit up and down for a while but hopefully that goal will give his confidence a boost.

Sprouleflyer
03-02-2011, 11:55 AM
I certainly wasn't booing, I never boo anyone in a Hibs jersey, but I thought Wotherspoon's contribution was very poor until the last ten minutes last night. He gave the ball away with almost every touch he had, and compounded his errors with giving away a silly foul on many occasions too, putting us under pressure from set pieces. He almost put us in real danger at one point with a crazy pass deep inside our half in the second period.

I was delighted to see the fantastic bit of skill on the bye line and his contribution that led up to his brilliant goal, and hope to see more of the same on a regular basis.

:agree: I have been critical of Wotherspoon lately. He has played some poor games and tends to give the ball away cheaply (but who hasn't in this Hibs team) and try's to beat a player too many times instead of beating the player and delivering the ball into the box.

He also appears to me to be a bit flat footed/caught on his heels and never appears to anticipate a pass.

That said, he is young, still learning his trade and I can see he does have talent.

The last 20 mins or so saw the best of Wotherspoon last night some great skill to beat the player on the touch line and a good finish for his goal.

He is far from the finished product, but if he can lean and progress, we will have a very good player to cheer on in the next few years.

truehibernian
03-02-2011, 12:16 PM
I think in the first half, there were times when DW, Thornhill and Palsson conceded cheap possession, but yesterday the pleasing thing was that 1) the others hunted the ball back and closed down space, and 2) the crowd did give encouragement instead of derision.

Sodje at times looked awkward, yet if you watch his body movement, he actually follows the flight of the ball, gets himself into position, and then challenges. He won most of his headers, didn't concede cheap fouls, and stayed onside. Very game aware, but erratic finishing to say the least.

Thornhill finally got with the pace second half, and Palsson second half was superb. The midfield balance was good. Murray was committed, yet at times a wee tad static if I am honest, but when we got the goal the confidence gave him second wind and it's good for the team that they see his commitment and determination.

Even Derek's head was up, he was applauding balls that didn't quite arrive to him, and he was talking rather than moaning. Great finish too (and what a goal it would have been if someone had got on the end of his byeline run deep into second half).

Booth though, for me, was the MOM, purely due to age, composure, balance, drive, control and effort. For one so young, only three games in to his Hibs career really, he looked class. The lad has everything you need skillwise and will be a star turn for us.

If we had scored just after Derek's opener dare I say the floodgates would have opened. Good subs made too, and it's a good sign that we have quality on the bench that can be impact players. Nish (I am a basher) and Miller played their part in the win too. Miller looked far more relaxed......even going for a drop-ball too......nae chicken heart there :greengrin

Franck is God
03-02-2011, 12:44 PM
I think that Wotherspoon has had better games but he never shyed away from wanting the ball or a tackle and ran his heart out all night and got a great goal at the end of the day for his efforts.

He does have a lot to learn and I hope he has now cemented his place on the right side of our midfield and can build a good partnership with Towell in what was their first 90 minutes together.

He has all the attributes to be a top player and it seems he has the attitude and work rate to go with it and to be overly criticised by his own fans is completely out of order.

superfurryhibby
03-02-2011, 12:47 PM
I think in the first half, there were times when DW, Thornhill and Palsson conceded cheap possession, but yesterday the pleasing thing was that 1) the others hunted the ball back and closed down space, and 2) the crowd did give encouragement instead of derision.

Sodje at times looked awkward, yet if you watch his body movement, he actually follows the flight of the ball, gets himself into position, and then challenges. He won most of his headers, didn't concede cheap fouls, and stayed onside. Very game aware, but erratic finishing to say the least.

Thornhill finally got with the pace second half, and Palsson second half was superb. The midfield balance was good. Murray was committed, yet at times a wee tad static if I am honest, but when we got the goal the confidence gave him second wind and it's good for the team that they see his commitment and determination.

Even Derek's head was up, he was applauding balls that didn't quite arrive to him, and he was talking rather than moaning. Great finish too (and what a goal it would have been if someone had got on the end of his byeline run deep into second half).

Booth though, for me, was the MOM, purely due to age, composure, balance, drive, control and effort. For one so young, only three games in to his Hibs career really, he looked class. The lad has everything you need skillwise and will be a star turn for us.

If we had scored just after Derek's opener dare I say the floodgates would have opened. Good subs made too, and it's a good sign that we have quality on the bench that can be impact players. Nish (I am a basher) and Miller played their part in the win too. Miller looked far more relaxed......even going for a drop-ball too......nae chicken heart there :greengrin

Just about says it all:top marks

Wotherspoon showed some classy touches. He needs to cut out the daft fouls and try and be more consistent. He has the makings of a very good player. Oh, aye Booth was my m.o.m too

Monktonhall 7
03-02-2011, 01:26 PM
Booth was superb, and lived up to all the hype we had heard about. Makes you wonder why we needed to loan him out earlier in the season and bring in a loanee at left back. He looks miles ahead of Grounds.

My MOM was Pallson. How good was it to have a strong physical presence in the middle of the park. And he can actually play as well. Wetherspoon showed some great touches, and probably beats players better than anyone in the squad, but still a bit lightweight at times and I think we needed a bit more cover to help Towell when Spoony bombed forward. Maybe I'm just being picky. :wink:

Stevie Reid
03-02-2011, 01:49 PM
Spoony is one of the few players we have who can produce a moment of magic out of nothing, but his chronic lack of pace means that we struggle to get him in behind teams, as even the most unskilled full backs in the SPL tend to have a good bit of pace about them.

As such, I wonder if next season it would be worth trying Wotherspoon playing just behind the strikers where is tricks can buy him a yard in a vital area - he can certainly hit a ball with both feet, and is capable of slipping the strikers in with a good pass.

truehibernian
03-02-2011, 02:02 PM
Spoony is one of the few players we have who can produce a moment of magic out of nothing, but his chronic lack of pace means that we struggle to get him in behind teams, as even the most unskilled full backs in the SPL tend to have a good bit of pace about them.

As such, I wonder if next season it would be worth trying Wotherspoon playing just behind the strikers where is tricks can buy him a yard in a vital area - he can certainly hit a ball with both feet, and is capable of slipping the strikers in with a good pass.

Mmmm.....don't really agree with you about DWs pace issue. If anything hs is at his best, running at defenders from wide, cutting inside, with pace :confused: He is also bulking up I see and his upper body strength will improve his speed and stamina.

DW's confidence is key I think. If he has a howler, it's usually been a howler. That said, there have not been too many of those occasions. He is always available and never ever shirks, which is a huge positive. His touch and anticipation for a pass let him down a couple of times last night, but his goal just encapsulates for me what his game is all about. Taking a player on, skipping past him, getting to byelines and creating. His finish was superb.

From what I hear, either Scott or Thornhill may be the player to play behind the strikers, and even Liam Miller. He did well when he came on and threaded a couple of nice balls through to Nish and Riordan.

blackpoolhibs
03-02-2011, 02:26 PM

Yip Booth for me too John, closely followed by Poulson and Wotherspoon. That lad Booth for me can be a superstar if he carries on improving, he has the lot. :thumbsup:

Stevie Reid
03-02-2011, 03:45 PM
Mmmm.....don't really agree with you about DWs pace issue. If anything hs is at his best, running at defenders from wide, cutting inside, with pace :confused: He is also bulking up I see and his upper body strength will improve his speed and stamina.

DW's confidence is key I think. If he has a howler, it's usually been a howler. That said, there have not been too many of those occasions. He is always available and never ever shirks, which is a huge positive. His touch and anticipation for a pass let him down a couple of times last night, but his goal just encapsulates for me what his game is all about. Taking a player on, skipping past him, getting to byelines and creating. His finish was superb.

From what I hear, either Scott or Thornhill may be the player to play behind the strikers, and even Liam Miller. He did well when he came on and threaded a couple of nice balls through to Nish and Riordan.

Maybe I'm just not seeing it but then we have have suffered from a chronic lack of pace throughout the team for months and in those circumstances you would expect pacey players to stand out - I don't recall DW showing up the rest at any point. He certainly doesn't seem anywhere near as quick as Galbraith (who did very well when he came on last night).

Aldo
03-02-2011, 04:27 PM
Didnt go to game as was at work but Craig Paterson was full of praise for both Booth and Towell. Said for young guys they were excellent.

As for Spoony...think we all know he has it but it has been hard for him in recent weeks.

Andy74
03-02-2011, 06:09 PM
Rubbish first half. Better second half and well taken goal.

Dirkster23
03-02-2011, 06:16 PM
Yip Booth for me too John, closely followed by Poulson and Wotherspoon. That lad Booth for me can be a superstar if he carries on improving, he has the lot. :thumbsup:

Don't worry BH, Calderwood will have them replaced with hammer throwers in the summer :greengrin