PDA

View Full Version : How are squad numbers Chosen?

spike220
02-02-2011, 03:56 AM
I was just wondering how these are chosen, I know that Deeks was keen to get 10, but apart form that are there any other rules. Who will be the new 04 & 07?

Hibhibhooray
02-02-2011, 04:27 AM
I may be wrong but don't think there is any rules on numbers other than between 1 & 99

J-C
02-02-2011, 09:54 AM
I was just wondering how these are chosen, I know that Deeks was keen to get 10, but apart form that are there any other rules. Who will be the new 04 & 07?

Pick a number, if it's free it's yours, if not pick another.

billbee
02-02-2011, 10:12 AM
Poulson was 91 on Saturday!

offshorehibby
02-02-2011, 10:14 AM

I think that was the year he was born

Wilson
02-02-2011, 10:15 AM

Really??!! He must be catching up with Davie Weir! :wink:

Squad number bingo. That is how it is done.

Danderhall Hibs
02-02-2011, 10:48 AM

Andy Webster will be no.4 and the otehr new striker will get 7.

dp00
02-02-2011, 11:26 AM
Think it just depends on what they want. If its available they get it.

Some players it will be a big thing and for others it won't matter. Sure liam miller has been 33 at all his clubs

J-C
02-02-2011, 11:31 AM
Think it just depends on what they want. If its available they get it.

Some players it will be a big thing and for others it won't matter. Sure liam miller has been 33 at all his clubs

Stan Collymore wanted his Notts F number when he joined Liverpool but it was unavailable, he took the 8 shirt instead.

Speedy
02-02-2011, 12:18 PM
I think that was the year he was born

A lot of players seem to be doing that recently.

jacomo
02-02-2011, 01:09 PM
To me, numbers still mean something, and should be respected.

Your first choice left back should be No 3, never No 2, and Riordan is a 10 but never a 9.

Gatecrasher
02-02-2011, 01:12 PM
He legally changed his surname (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surname) from Johnson to Ochocinco prior to the 2008 regular season to reflect the two numerals on his Bengals uniform.[4] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chad_Ochocinco#cite_note-Ocho_Cinco-3) While he references his last name as two words "Ocho Cinco", his legal last name is condensed into one word, as spelled on his name change application

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chad_Ochocinco

he changed his name to his squad number in the NFL :greengrin

Speedy
02-02-2011, 01:17 PM

Your first choice left back should be No 3, never No 2, and Riordan is a 10 but never a 9.

:agree:

To me, if a player is given a number between 1 and 11 then it is a statement that they are considered a regular. If for some reason they want another number then fair enough but you shouldn't hand out your "good" numbers to any old crap.

macca70
02-02-2011, 01:26 PM
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:pt3lEbIp_e4NCM::www.funtime-hire.co.uk/cutouts/bingo.jpg&t=1&usg=AFrqEzcX7VkVxb1KLQjK4ZDhlklnQDVcOg

Probably similar to the way the current team seems to be picked, The Tache has 1 of these machines in his office and you select a ball, that will be your squad number!!

All squad numbers are then stuck in the machine the night before a game and a team is drawn :greengrin

jacomo
02-02-2011, 01:38 PM

To me, if a player is given a number between 1 and 11 then it is a statement that they are considered a regular. If for some reason they want another number then fair enough but you shouldn't hand out your "good" numbers to any old crap.

Slightly off topic, but I wonder what Hibs' most revered number is?

For example, Liverpool are obsessed with No.7 (as worn by King Kenny and soon to be inherited by Suarez) but Newcastle revere the No.9.

I suppose Sauzee made the No.4 shirt special (4 is an interesting number, as there is some debate about which position it fits in the modern game, but I reckon it's defensive midfield).

Alex Trager
02-02-2011, 04:06 PM

For example, Liverpool are obsessed with No.7 (as worn by King Kenny and soon to be inherited by Suarez) but Newcastle revere the No.9.

I suppose Sauzee made the No.4 shirt special (4 is an interesting number, as there is some debate about which position it fits in the modern game, but I reckon it's defensive midfield).3/6 for a left back,4/5 centre back 2 right back,riordan will never be a nine but is certainly a ten tricky player is a seven a number nine is a target man, an eighteen is a poacher all in my opinion of course

Diclonius
02-02-2011, 04:15 PM

I swear, half of the reason David van Zanten pissed me off so much is that he wore #3 instead of #2 that whole season. :grr:

Craig_HFC
02-02-2011, 04:48 PM

I suppose Sauzee made the No.4 shirt special (4 is an interesting number, as there is some debate about which position it fits in the modern game, but I reckon it's defensive midfield).

Stanton made the number 4 shirt special before Sauzeé did.

jacomo
02-02-2011, 05:00 PM
Stanton made the number 4 shirt special before Sauzeé did.

Yes, of course he did.

If only we had a midfielder of comparable quality to wear it now...