PDA

View Full Version : Fletcher Tells Levein To Stick It.....

PatHead
01-02-2011, 12:03 PM
Harry decides the most expensive forward in Scottish history isn't good enough for Home Internationals but Maguire of Aberdeen is. Nothing to do with anti Hibs bias though!

Hope we lose them all and he gets the sack.

Danderhall Hibs
01-02-2011, 12:06 PM
Harry decides the most expensive forward in Scottish history isn't good enough for Home Internationals but Maguire of Aberdeen is. Nothing to do with anti Hibs bias though!

Hope we lose them all and he gets the sack.

Did he pick Goodwillie?

millarco
01-02-2011, 12:22 PM
Did he pick Goodwillie?

Nope.

http://www.scottishfa.co.uk/scottish_fa_news.cfm?page=128&newsCategoryID=6&newsID=7132

Sir David Gray
01-02-2011, 12:25 PM
Steven Fletcher won't play for Scotland again under Craig Levein, after he criticised Levein for his tactics against the Czech Republic.

Jack
01-02-2011, 12:27 PM
Did he pick Goodwillie?

Yes. Future Scotland internationals will be timed to coincide with his home visits and Training For Freedom :wink:

Pretty Boy
01-02-2011, 12:27 PM
When are Scotland playing?

Genuine question as i've seen nothing on here or in the papers about this until i noticed this thread.

Sir David Gray
01-02-2011, 01:37 PM
When are Scotland playing?

Genuine question as i've seen nothing on here or in the papers about this until i noticed this thread.

A week tomorrow (9th Feb) against Northern Ireland in the Nations Cup, in Dublin.

Pretty Boy
01-02-2011, 01:40 PM
A week tomorrow (9th Feb) against Northern Ireland in the Nations Cup, in Dublin.

:aok:

Cheers.

JimBHibees
01-02-2011, 01:55 PM
Steven Fletcher won't play for Scotland again under Craig Levein, after he criticised Levein for his tactics against the Czech Republic.

It is good that we have a National manager who is an adult.

pacorosssco
01-02-2011, 02:00 PM
Losing interest in Scotland with Levein at the helm. very much enjoy supporting Scotland and at the mo should be a bit of light relief but I cant be bothered with him in charge. His treatment of Fletch is petty but he lost me with his bending over to Bazza and co.

Possibly bringing in young guys too quickly. Wilson has barely played first team footy this year and ypung lad at blackburn just starting to establish himself . Three right backs. 3 forwards . 4-6-0 again?. Regulary contradicts himself in squad selection. Surprised Goodwillie isnt in squad must have hurt Levein to drop him. Mcguire 3 goals in 21. Riorden must stand a chance now hes stopped scoring and been linked with huns.

bingo70
01-02-2011, 02:10 PM
TBH i don't think i buy into any anti-hibs bias i just think Levien is an over rated welt that had never achieved anything at any club he'd been at so should never have been given the job in the first place.

Then he played that 4-6-0 formation which is completely unforgivable IMO, even if it was spain or brazil that wouldn't be acceptable in my view, it's not what sports meant to be all about.

I also heard him being interviewed and i think it was goodwillie they were talking about and asked if he'd be a success at rangers and instead of dodging the question he basically started saying how he's a perfect fit for them and would be a terrific move for him, IMO thats all wrong, it's not his job to add to the speculation.

I normally love watching Scotland, however i really struggle with this twat in charge and it's nothing to do with his hearts connections, IMO when it comes to the national team the club you support should be kept to one side.

bingo70
01-02-2011, 02:11 PM
Losing interest in Scotland with Levein at the helm. very much enjoy supporting Scotland and at the mo should be a bit of light relief but I cant be bothered with him in charge. His treatment of Fletch is petty but he lost me with his bending over to Bazza and co.

Possibly bringing in young guys too quickly. Wilson has barely played first team footy this year and ypung lad at blackburn just starting to establish himself . Three right backs. 3 forwards . 4-6-0 again?. Regulary contradicts himself in squad selection. Surprised Goodwillie isnt in squad must have hurt Levein to drop him. Mcguire 3 goals in 21. Riorden must stand a chance now hes stopped scoring and been linked with huns.

I forgot about that, that really pissed me off about him as well

PatHead
01-02-2011, 02:31 PM
TBH i don't think i buy into any anti-hibs bias i just think Levien is an over rated welt that had never achieved anything at any club he'd been at so should never have been given the job in the first place.

Then he played that 4-6-0 formation which is completely unforgivable IMO, even if it was spain or brazil that wouldn't be acceptable in my view, it's not what sports meant to be all about.

I also heard him being interviewed and i think it was goodwillie they were talking about and asked if he'd be a success at rangers and instead of dodging the question he basically started saying how he's a perfect fit for them and would be a terrific move for him, IMO thats all wrong, it's not his job to add to the speculation.

I normally love watching Scotland, however i really struggle with this twat in charge and it's nothing to do with his hearts connections, IMO when it comes to the national team the club you support should be kept to one side.

Saw that interview as well on Sportscene and had exactly same thoughts. He has no right to tout club players around. Remember the press when Berti was telling players they should play for larger clubs outwith Scotland. Different when OF are involved though

JimBHibees
01-02-2011, 03:40 PM
With regard to Fletcher did Kenny Miller not also have a go at the tactics for the Czech game yet miraculously appears to have been absolved of any wrong doing. Nothing to do with the club he was in at the time.

JimBHibees
01-02-2011, 03:41 PM
Saw that interview as well on Sportscene and had exactly same thoughts. He has no right to tout club players around. Remember the press when Berti was telling players they should play for larger clubs outwith Scotland. Different when OF are involved though

Can you just imagine if a Scotland manager had said that about a Utd or Hearts players when he was managing these clubs? He would have completely lost it.

HibbyAndy
01-02-2011, 03:46 PM

And quite rightly so criticised.Playing a 4-6-0 formation against a Czech team that are naewhere near as good as they were.

He should have been sacked there and then for playing that formation.

Sir David Gray
01-02-2011, 03:57 PM
And quite rightly so criticised.Playing a 4-6-0 formation against a Czech team that are naewhere near as good as they were.

It was an embarrassing night for Scottish football as a whole, seeing a Scotland team playing that formation. However, I can understand why Levein wasn't pleased with Fletcher.

As disgraceful as those tactics undoubtedly were, I think the criticism should have been left to the fans and the media.

As a manager, you can't really have players criticising your decisions, regardless of how justified those criticisms are.

Agree with your last point though. The SFA should have sacked him after he played that formation.

pacorosssco
01-02-2011, 04:10 PM
It was an embarrassing night for Scottish football as a whole, seeing a Scotland team playing that formation. However, I can understand why Levein wasn't pleased with Fletcher.

As disgraceful as those tactics undoubtedly were, I think the criticism should have been left to the fans and the media.

As a manager, you can't really have players criticising your decisions, regardless of how justified those criticisms are.

Agree with your last point though. The SFA should have sacked him after he played that formation.

This is the thing Boyd Mcullouch and Macgregor did this but were welcomed back with open arms and slate clean. He also would have pushed the specs up his nose and wrapped his loving lips around ferguson's smelly bell end given half the chance .In the end Ferguson left him with egg on his face . It wasn't Fletchers brightest moment but hardly deserved to be binned. Reason Levein gave at first was he wasn't getting game time . Well there a lot falling into that category hes selected and Scotland is to small a country to ignore good players. Fletchers not had a great season but is arguably our best forward.

soupy
01-02-2011, 09:14 PM
Levein is a f****in cock.

snooky
01-02-2011, 09:18 PM

Nay. Certified more like. Utter madness.

Craig_in_Prague
01-02-2011, 09:18 PM
hope that we continue to lose under him and he gets punted tae fk

been raging ever since that match in Prague, a 4-6-0 against an average Czech team. Will never forgive him.
And his so so obvious hate of anything hibs or ex hibs or anything related hibs.

hope your sacked soon ya yam tramp. :aok:

Kaiser1962
01-02-2011, 09:29 PM

totally

Bad Martini
01-02-2011, 11:19 PM
He's woefully inept and 4-6-0 should have meant straight P45, do not pass go, do not collect any compensation.

That said, there's more to life than Fletcher who has, on many occassions bottled it when it matters IMHO...not to say he's any worse than many who get a game these days but two wrongs and all that........

HOWEVER, thats no why Potter isny playing him. Much like the reason why Potter never played Riordan when he WAS banging in goals and setting them up.

It's cause, he's a big tit.

ENDOF

Cocaine&Caviar
02-02-2011, 01:31 AM
http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/3385417/Fletcher-texts-Levein-to-say-I-QUIT.html

Although cant argue with his reasons for quitting, a pretty unprofessional manner of doing so.

Calvin
02-02-2011, 02:26 AM
As much as I am really not a fan of Levein in the slightest, that's very poor from Fletch.

If I were him I'd have been 'p****d off' too but I've been very critical in the past of players who discount themselves from International selection. It's not up to the individual to pick and choose when they want to play for their country, it's up to the manager to pick and choose them, even if the manager does happen to be a fud.

Cameron1875
02-02-2011, 02:39 AM
Fletchers a hibby. If levein could get away with it he'd have Driver, Webster, Kyle, Templeton, Wallace all in the squad.

Prawn Sandwich
02-02-2011, 05:57 AM
Text snub to Levein.....not very good from Fletcher way to communicate with the SFA, but I can understand Fletcher's frustration with Levein.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1352682/Wolves-Steven-Fletcher-snubs-Scotland-Craig-Levein.html

PeeJay
02-02-2011, 07:28 AM
Astonishingly dumb move on Fletcher's part if true. Poor reflection on his character IMO, he should at least have personally notified Levein that he no longer wanted to be part of the Scotland team selection, although that too is beyond me. Surely he should just have shut up and performed to his best so Levein simply couldn't leave him out. Instead he adopts a child-like huff stance, not unlike that of the former Rangers idot, whose name I've forgotten...

Maybe the big time and EPL have gone to Fletch's head?:confused:

pacorosssco
02-02-2011, 07:28 AM
Text snub to Levein.....not very good from Fletcher way to communicate with the SFA, but I can understand Fletcher's frustration with Levein.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1352682/Wolves-Steven-Fletcher-snubs-Scotland-Craig-Levein.html

Its sad its come to this and it is disappointing fletch has chose to go this way but it has been coming. Its OK for miller to criticise Levein and he goes straight back in.

Levein had barracked him in the press and been petty not including him in squads. Im not sure what really has happenend here. Was he picked and refused or was he snubbed then called up? either way a personal touch from the manager could have handled this better. He could have intitiated a clear the air before selecting him ala Barry Ferguson.

As for that he cant believe people dont wont to be involved well A. Macgregor. L.Mcullouch. B. Ferguson and K. Boyd all fell in to that category but what has he done with them .

Hopefully Levein will be out on his ear soon. Worst Scotland manager of all time.

PeeJay
02-02-2011, 07:51 AM
Its sad its come to this and it is disappointing fletch has chose to go this way but it has been coming. Its OK for miller to criticise Levein and he goes straight back in.

Levein had barracked him in the press and been petty not including him in squads. Im not sure what really has happenend here. Was he picked and refused or was he snubbed then called up? either way a personal touch from the manager could have handled this better. He could have intitiated a clear the air before selecting him ala Barry Ferguson.

As for that he cant believe people dont wont to be involved well A. Macgregor. L.Mcullouch. B. Ferguson and K. Boyd all fell in to that category but what has he done with them .

Hopefully Levein will be out on his ear soon. Worst Scotland manager of all time.

Worse than Bertie?????????????:cool2:

pacorosssco
02-02-2011, 07:54 AM
Worse than Bertie?????????????:cool2:

Yes. Bertie wasnt great but we had a much worst pool of players. Bertie brought in guys like Darren Fletcher and J. Mcfadden and gave them valuable experience .

Levein is worse for me .

bighairyfaeleith
02-02-2011, 08:15 AM
Fletch looks to have handled this one badly, but Levein is far from blameless here. He has left him out last time for petty reasons rather than trying to sort the problem with fletch out, yet he bends over backwards to get the crab and co back in.

Levein is an arse and the sooner he gets the boot the sooner I can be proud of a scottish team again.

Sooner Yogi gets the scotland job the better:duck:

Leithenhibby
02-02-2011, 09:03 AM
Steven Fletcher has quit international football and told Potty to stick it, :confused:

I know that CL has made a few strange choices over the years but, to pack in an international career at such a young age, for me, is madness :rolleyes:

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/3385417/Fletcher-texts-Levein-to-say-I-QUIT.html

blackpoolhibs
02-02-2011, 09:04 AM
"For the life of me I just can't understand anyone who doesn't want to be part of it."

Have a look in the mirror ya dick.

steakbake
02-02-2011, 09:09 AM
He might get a chance to change ės mind when we bring in the next mediocre scotland boss.

soupy
02-02-2011, 09:09 AM
Only till levein is ousted surely.

Ritchie
02-02-2011, 09:11 AM
do you blame him??

he's the most talented Scottish striker in years but doesnt get selected for the squad even though he scores reguarly in the best league in the world.

levein is a twat! :agree:

Spike Mandela
02-02-2011, 09:13 AM
Steven Fletcher has quit international football and told Potty to stick it, :confused:

I know that CL has made a few strange choices over the years but, to pack in an international career at such a young age, for me, is madness :rolleyes:

Shame.

I agree it's madness but must admit I wouldn't want to play for Levein either, can't stand the man!

al bundy
02-02-2011, 09:14 AM
Players seem to think they can do what they want nowadays and its sending a bad example to the kids, the attitude of some of these players astound me.

Am sure if Sir Alex was in charge he wouldn't be acting like a bairn, get a grip fletcher.

coco22
02-02-2011, 09:16 AM
surely he will be allowed to change his mind in the future like some others, displaying the true heart and patriotic spirit that has contributed to where scottish fitba (national and domestic) has landed

jacomo
02-02-2011, 09:24 AM
I can see his point of view.

He's undeniably earned the right to get an extended run in the team - or are there many other Scottish strikers playing in the top leagues in Europe who are keeping him out?

Levein is making a total mess of the job, unfortunately.

Heckys Wheel
02-02-2011, 09:27 AM
"Retiring from International Football" = Going home and I'm taking ma baw wi me until we get a new manager.

Which will happen well before Fletcher hangs up his boots.

I don't know what's more embarrassing, the player's strop or the oh so predictable....."I'm starting with a clean slate, all players are welcome" speach by the new Scotland manager.

truehibernian
02-02-2011, 09:33 AM
Have to say Fletch's attitude is poor if this is true.

Regardless of who the manager of the national side is, you have to be professional and look beyond yourself and the man in charge, and think of the nation. It reflects badly IMHO and shows a childish streak. The way to work it up Levein is to buckle down at Wolves, concentrate on your form, bang in the goals, and the media will do the rest if he is ignored.

I am not the biggest Scotland follower, but would never turn my back or remove myself from selection for my country. Rio Ferdinand was spot on recently when he was asked about players withdrawing themselves from national selection. He couldn't understand it, respected it, but stated it would take a big part out of his footballing life and unless he couldn't play football through injury, he would always represent his country if chosen. It should be the ultimate honour in a pro footballers career, surely ?

There will always be managers like Levein.........Sir Alex Ferguson had stand up rows with Strachan, fell out with Graeme Souness, but still relented and played them.

Come on Fletch......best way to show Potter is to start scoring regularly and making him look like an inept manager by not selecting......the media will make sure of that if you do :agree:

hibees59
02-02-2011, 09:38 AM

Regardless of who the manager of the national side is, you have to be professional and look beyond yourself and the man in charge, and think of the nation. It reflects badly IMHO and shows a childish streak. The way to work it up Levein is to buckle down at Wolves, concentrate on your form, bang in the goals, and the media will do the rest if he is ignored.

I am not the biggest Scotland follower, but would never turn my back or remove myself from selection for my country. Rio Ferdinand was spot on recently when he was asked about players withdrawing themselves from national selection. He couldn't understand it, respected it, but stated it would take a big part out of his footballing life and unless he couldn't play football through injury, he would always represent his country if chosen. It should be the ultimate honour in a pro footballers career, surely ?

There will always be managers like Levein.........Sir Alex Ferguson had stand up rows with Strachan, fell out with Graeme Souness, but still relented and played them.

Come on Fletch......best way to show Potter is to start scoring regularly and making him look like an inept manager by not selecting......the media will make sure of that if you do :agree:

Good post. I think Fletch has been badly advised.

JimBHibees
02-02-2011, 09:50 AM

Totaly agree it should have made him more determined to play well and show Levein he was making a mistake. In many ways he has played into Levein's hands by getting this reaction.

Steve20
02-02-2011, 09:51 AM
Quite right, Fletcher.

bighairyfaeleith
02-02-2011, 09:54 AM
He hasn't actually said he has quit for good though has he??

As far as I can see he just said he didn't want to be considered for selection for this squad.

J-C
02-02-2011, 09:55 AM
He hasn't actually said he has quit for good though has he??

As far as I can see he just said he didn't want to be considered for selection for this squad.

There's no reason given though, is it just for this squad, or any future squads where Harry is in charge.

bighairyfaeleith
02-02-2011, 09:58 AM
There's no reason given though, is it just for this squad, or any future squads where Harry is in charge.

Well thats the thing, we don't know. The SFA have leaked this to the press very quickly and obviously have not entered into any discussion with fletcher either, why not?

Not defending fletcher, I reckon playing for Scotland is an honour and you shouldn't turn it down unless your injured but this all seems a bit to convenient for levein given that he doesn't want to pick him anyway,.

500miles
02-02-2011, 09:59 AM
I'll be surprised if the situation is as clear cut as being made out. Fletcher has never come across as a player for chucking the toys out the pram.

J-C
02-02-2011, 10:01 AM
Well thats the thing, we don't know. The SFA have leaked this to the press very quickly and obviously have not entered into any discussion with fletcher either, why not?

Not defending fletcher, I reckon playing for Scotland is an honour and you shouldn't turn it down unless your injured but this all seems a bit to convenient for levein given that he doesn't want to pick him anyway,.

When the squad was chosen was Fletcher in the original and then pulled out, or was he omitted from the squad, hence why he's said he doesn't want to be picked. :confused:

al bundy
02-02-2011, 10:01 AM

looks like he won't play for potter, what age are you fletcher:dummytit:

Love the Green
02-02-2011, 10:13 AM
looks like he won't play for potter, what age are you fletcher:dummytit:

And what age is potter ignoring EPL players and selecting players Paw Broon has mentioned as being very good and promoting them for Scotland call ups...

"keep the faith"

Woody1985
02-02-2011, 10:16 AM
Players seem to think they can do what they want nowadays and its sending a bad example to the kids, the attitude of some of these players astound me.

Am sure if Sir Alex was in charge he wouldn't be acting like a bairn, get a grip fletcher.

If SAF was in charge he'd be in the team and there would be no 4-6-0 pish which ultimately led to his decision.

erin go bragh
02-02-2011, 10:39 AM

:top marksspot on pal

Phil MaGlass
02-02-2011, 10:41 AM
I wouldnt want to play for that hertz twat either, well done Fletcher.

Gettin' Auld
02-02-2011, 11:07 AM
When the squad was chosen was Fletcher in the original and then pulled out, or was he omitted from the squad, hence why he's said he doesn't want to be picked. :confused:
Heard on 5 Live that Fletcher was named in the squad, but asked to be withdrawn.

heretoday
02-02-2011, 11:12 AM
"Retiring from International Football" = Going home and I'm taking ma baw wi me until we get a new manager.

Which will happen well before Fletcher hangs up his boots.

I don't know what's more embarrassing, the player's strop or the oh so predictable....."I'm starting with a clean slate, all players are welcome" speach by the new Scotland manager.

Hear, hear! :agree:

bingo70
02-02-2011, 11:16 AM
I think Fletcher is in the wrong, you don't get to pick and choose your managers for your country.

That said, Leviens got a bloody cheek saying he only wants to work with players that want to play for the country, what about the bunch of huns he dropped his knickers to when he first got the job :confused:

Also think they both need to grow up a but, all this texting and ignoring each other, FFS acting like a bunch of 15 year old lassies, first of all fletch should have been big enough to call Levien and secondly the jambo twat should pick up the phone and sort it oot like a proper manager would, just bloody ignoring him is no how to deal with it.

J-C
02-02-2011, 11:20 AM
Heard on 5 Live that Fletcher was named in the squad, but asked to be withdrawn.

So as yet we don't know the reason for his withdrawl, could be a personal issue outwith football.

Wotherspiniesta
02-02-2011, 11:59 AM
Apparently the text message was left on an answering machine at SFA headquarters (http://tts.imtranslator.net/EQNR)
(http://tts.imtranslator.net/EQNR)

bighairyfaeleith
02-02-2011, 12:04 PM
So as yet we don't know the reason for his withdrawl, could be a personal issue outwith football.

no reason yet but the BEEB are saying that his text said he was happy to speak to levein if wanted to call him. Has he?

Just doesn't sound like fletch but footballers do daft things at times.

Gettin' Auld
02-02-2011, 12:05 PM
Possibly - Apart from saying he'd asked to be withdrawn, they knew no other details.

Sir David Gray
02-02-2011, 12:09 PM
It's poor from Fletcher as I would be honoured to play for Scotland. I don't think it's right that you pick and choose when to play for your country.

Having said that, Levein is such a hypocrite to go on about only wanting to select players who want to play for Scotland. Kris Boyd threw the toys out the pram when George Burley was in charge and said that he didn't want to play for Scotland again. Lee McCulloch did something similar a couple of years ago.

Yet as soon as Levein takes over, he picks the pair of them to play and they both make a return.

bawheid
02-02-2011, 12:12 PM
I'll wait and hear Fletcher's side of the story before commenting. As has already been pointed out, it just doesn't sound like the type of behaviour you'd expect from him.

johnrebus
02-02-2011, 12:12 PM
100% behind Fletcher.

One of the best players in the country, but treated like ***** by a bitter Yam troll who is so far out of his depth a submarine could'nt find him.

The sooner Potter is fired the better for all concerned.

:taxi

Greenblood70
02-02-2011, 12:18 PM
I'm behind any action that exposes Potter as the Yam fud he is.

Simply detest the man.

--------
02-02-2011, 12:22 PM
Wolves are second bottom of the EPL, they play at Bolton tonight, at home to Man Utd on Saturday, and away to Arsenal a week later. Huge games for them and for Fletcher.

This is a "Carling Nations Cup" tie with Northern Ireland. Just another international make-work fixture. Who needs them? Who wants them?

Who pays Fletcher's wages? Not the SFA, not Levein. Wolves.

Reading what the Sun actually says (which doesn't take us very far, I admit), the most one an say for sure is that Fletcher didn't want to be selected for this match - understandable, IMO, given the program facing his club in the next ten days.

If Potter had selected Deek for this game - hell hasn't frozen over yet, so no chance of that - we might well have been concerned that our best forward was being risked in a pointless international fixture while we were desperate to have him fit to play in our matches - matches that will determine the immediate and perhaps even long-term future of the club.

Fletcher had to choose between club and country and chose club - not surprising, really, when you think of the way Levein has behaved towards him previously.

As for his career, I'd far rather Hibs players put Hibs first, last and always (it's called loyalty) than have them always away on international call-ups. Think Benji. Think Zouma. Think Bamba.

Levein has only himself to blame of Fletcher has decided he's going to decide for himself when he's available for Scotland.

Dr What If?
02-02-2011, 12:25 PM
Something stinks here. SF has made no statement to say he is quitting international football and he has not spoken to the press about his future.
This story has come from the SFA and appears to be constructed to cause SF the most amount of embarracement, make his position with Scotland impossible and justify Potter never selecting him again.

This story isn't about a player 'retiring', this reads like a baby who has thrown out the toys, and its come from the SFA!!!! Did he reply by text? Pretty sure he didn't mean to copy 'The Sun' into the message.

For all we know it could have been some nobody at the SFA that texted him first with 'fancy a game, pal'!!!

If I didn't have more respect for the body that runs our game I would say that this leak is malicious revenge against a player who dared to say what he thought of Potter's 6-4-0 formation.

aberhibsfc
02-02-2011, 12:29 PM

I hope for us and Fletch it's a temporary situation which can be resolved amongst the parties.

However, it does strike me as odd how he is not included in the Scotland squads on a more regular basis. He has been a Scot - SPL success story such as Adam. It certainly feels at times that there is more to the situation than just form etc. I can't help thinking that Levein considers himself some form of Hearts hero beyond his playing time and coaching at the club. He does seem reluctant to bring Hibs or exHibs players into the Scotland frey.

Hope this sends a clear message to Potter that if this is the case it won't be tolerated.

Sammy7nil
02-02-2011, 12:29 PM
Quite right, Fletcher.

If that is what he wants to do good luck to him.

He should get no 2nd chance under a new manager.

He has turned down playing for Scotland he does not represent C L when he is called up.

PatHead
02-02-2011, 12:33 PM
As the OP who criticised Harry for not picking him I better take a large slice of humble pie and apologise.

I would however add that SFA should never have released a statement saying he refused to play by text. Did they text him to call him up? Surely it doesn't matter how he declined the call up. Bet they don't reveal how all the huns/tims/Premiership players pull out after this weekend's games.

Finally I am disappointed in Fletch as he could also have handled it better.

Gettin' Auld
02-02-2011, 12:40 PM
Seems like he might have handed Potter an excuse not to select him again?
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ukpress/article/ALeqM5iB8cJ9xrHcVa0pgUw9InEhWUhxPg?docId=N05002412 96635092825A

truehibernian
02-02-2011, 12:43 PM
Wolves are second bottom of the EPL, they play at Bolton tonight, at home to Man Utd on Saturday, and away to Arsenal a week later. Huge games for them and for Fletcher.

This is a "Carling Nations Cup" tie with Northern Ireland. Just another international make-work fixture. Who needs them? Who wants them?

Who pays Fletcher's wages? Not the SFA, not Levein. Wolves.

Reading what the Sun actually says (which doesn't take us very far, I admit), the most one an say for sure is that Fletcher didn't want to be selected for this match - understandable, IMO, given the program facing his club in the next ten days.

If Potter had selected Deek for this game - hell hasn't frozen over yet, so no chance of that - we might well have been concerned that our best forward was being risked in a pointless international fixture while we were desperate to have him fit to play in our matches - matches that will determine the immediate and perhaps even long-term future of the club.

Fletcher had to choose between club and country and chose club - not surprising, really, when you think of the way Levein has behaved towards him previously.

As for his career, I'd far rather Hibs players put Hibs first, last and always (it's called loyalty) than have them always away on international call-ups. Think Benji. Think Zouma. Think Bamba.

Levein has only himself to blame of Fletcher has decided he's going to decide for himself when he's available for Scotland.

Usually agree with you about most things Doddie, but have to disagree with you on this.

By the same token, players like Kenny Dalglish, Souness, Bremner, Jordan, McStay, etc won European Cups, FA Cups, league titles, yet still found it in themselves to come out and play for Scotland during the Home Nations and for friendlies. Liverpool, AC Milan, Leeds United etc paid their wages, but the crucial fact was that each one of them got pride and honour from representing their country.

Big money may have introduced player power to a higher level, but their comes a real pride and professionalism when you run out for your country, being paid for it or otherwise. And personalities and clashes have to be risen above at the end of the day. It is also a stage that gets you recognition outside the league you are playing in. Look at Faddy's profile and how that was raised when he went on his good run under McLeish.

Scottish football is in a poor state and it is only worsened and cheapened when top players like Fletch (if indeed he has said what is reported mind) take the stance that they have. I bet Mick McCarthy was proud every time he pulled on the Ireland strip and wore the armband........even for an Englishman :greengrin

Joe Baker II
02-02-2011, 12:48 PM
Astonishingly dumb move on Fletcher's part if true. Poor reflection on his character IMO, he should at least have personally notified Levein that he no longer wanted to be part of the Scotland team selection, although that too is beyond me. Surely he should just have shut up and performed to his best so Levein simply couldn't leave him out. Instead he adopts a child-like huff stance, not unlike that of the former Rangers idot, whose name I've forgotten...

Maybe the big time and EPL have gone to Fletch's head?:confused:

Fletcher needs to avoid appearing a complete prick here. Though I am not convinced by Levein, he made clear that he would not deselect Fletcher just because of criticism and indeed welcomed it. Fletcher seems to be another Boyd unfortunately (ironically Fletcher game on in game in front of Boyd when he took huff, although Iwelumo change is the more remembere substitution in that gamed).

But Scotland would do with him in squad at least so hope they sort it out.

True Hibernian - totally echo your comments that it is rare I disagree with Doddie but do not agree with all of his above post

marinello59
02-02-2011, 12:50 PM
Good on Fletch. International football is an outdated snooze fest. He's better off out of it so he can concentrate on his club career.

ForeverHibs93
02-02-2011, 12:53 PM
"For the life of me I just can't understand anyone who doesn't want to be part of it."

:faf::top marks

ancient hibee
02-02-2011, 01:22 PM
Fletchers a hibby. If levein could get away with it he'd have Driver, Webster, Kyle, Templeton, Wallace all in the squad.

You really think that there's anyone at Hibs that should be in before any of these guys?

Fletcher should have a reality check-he's about to be relegated for the second season in a row.

sahib
02-02-2011, 01:24 PM
Fletcher not really English.

bawheid
02-02-2011, 01:26 PM
Fletcher not really English.

Correct. He's not really.

Leithenhibby
02-02-2011, 01:33 PM
I hope for us and Fletch it's a temporary situation which can be resolved amongst the parties.

However, it does strike me as odd how he is not included in the Scotland squads on a more regular basis. He has been a Scot - SPL success story such as Adam. It certainly feels at times that there is more to the situation than just form etc. I can't help thinking that Levein considers himself some form of Hearts hero beyond his playing time and coaching at the club. He does seem reluctant to bring Hibs or exHibs players into the Scotland frey.

Hope this sends a clear message to Potter that if this is the case it won't be tolerated.

I would hope that this could be sorted out asap, but for me this is just wrong, that a pro footballer can just turn round and say "shove it" when he wants to!!

Not to mention that it is happening on more occasions than I would like. :rolleyes: How many footballers have done that in recent times?, & how many in years gone by!!

I rest my case. Spoilt wee/big baskets the lot of them....

--------
02-02-2011, 01:35 PM
Usually agree with you about most things Doddie, but have to disagree with you on this.

By the same token, players like Kenny Dalglish, Souness, Bremner, Jordan, McStay, etc won European Cups, FA Cups, league titles, yet still found it in themselves to come out and play for Scotland during the Home Nations and for friendlies. Liverpool, AC Milan, Leeds United etc paid their wages, but the crucial fact was that each one of them got pride and honour from representing their country.

Big money may have introduced player power to a higher level, but their comes a real pride and professionalism when you run out for your country, being paid for it or otherwise. And personalities and clashes have to be risen above at the end of the day. It is also a stage that gets you recognition outside the league you are playing in. Look at Faddy's profile and how that was raised when he went on his good run under McLeish.

Scottish football is in a poor state and it is only worsened and cheapened when top players like Fletch (if indeed he has said what is reported mind) take the stance that they have. I bet Mick McCarthy was proud every time he pulled on the Ireland strip and wore the armband........even for an Englishman :greengrin

FWIW, all I can take from the quote in the Sun is that Fletcher didn't want to be selected for this game. I don't see how one can assume he was withdrawing from the Scotland set-up finally and for ever.

Second, when Dalglish and Souness were playing - back where I gave a damn about how Scotland were doing - the Scotland team was made up of Scots - not whoever's granny had once upon a time had a holiday in Dunoon or eaten haggis. McCarthy, in fact, is a glaring example of what I mean - at his first game for the Republic he turned to the guy next to him and said, "Hey, mate - they've got a bleeping long anthem, haven't they?" only to be told that what he was hearing was his own - "The Soldiers' Song". He's less Irish than I am, and IMO the rule-change that Charlton and others have used to widen their selection options in international football has made the "international" game into a mockery. Same goes for Rugby, btw.

Nor did the international team demand that the player should be with the squad for the best part of a week, disrupting his work and time with his own club and team.

And then there's the fact that any OF player deemed good enough for Scotland can pick and choose his games without prejudicing his future prospects. Woe betide anyone else, including Fletcher, who tries to do likewise.

And the way in which under certain past managers, a Scotland call-up has been seen (and used) as an opportunity for the OF, particularly Rangers, to have their players sound out other clubs players about moves to Glasgow. This is 'tapping' and in the good old days it was illegal - it was illegal in Craig Brown's time, but Brown allowed it to go on - encouraged it, in fact.

Potter's just another chapter in the obnoxious saga that is the SFA football team. Sorry!

clerriehibs
02-02-2011, 01:38 PM
If that is what he wants to do good luck to him.

He should get no 2nd chance under a new manager.

He has turned down playing for Scotland he does not represent C L when he is called up.

You're almost right; SF represents no-one when he is called up, because that yam fud won't play him.

That yam fud says "believe" all the time in this morning's scotsman report - that makes him a yam fud.

That yam fud says he just wants players who want to play for Scotland - and quotes examples of players who have "changed their nationalities" to do so. I know Fletch is English by birth, but he's scottish by nature and nurture - he didn't just "change his mind" so's he could get a game for a national team and bump up his potential take home pay in the process. That makes CL a fud.

That yam quotes the czech game as a good example of how his management style is woprking with the players. Talk about revisionist. That makes him a complete & utter fud.

:top marksand right behind you, Fletch. Anyone who isn't is a yam fud.

truehibernian
02-02-2011, 01:43 PM
FWIW, all I can take from the quote in the Sun is that Fletcher didn't want to be selected for this game. I don't see how one can assume he was withdrawing from the Scotland set-up finally and for ever.

Second, when Dalglish and Souness were playing - back where I gave a damn about how Scotland were doing - the Scotland team was made up of Scots - not whoever's granny had once upon a time had a holiday in Dunoon or eaten haggis. McCarthy, in fact, is a glaring example of what I mean - at his first game for the Republic he turned to the guy next to him and said, "Hey, mate - they've got a bleeping long anthem, haven't they?" only to be told that what he was hearing was his own - "The Soldiers' Song". He's less Irish than I am, and IMO the rule-change that Charlton and others have used to widen their selection options in international football has made the "international" game into a mockery. Same goes for Rugby, btw.

Nor did the international team demand that the player should be with the squad for the best part of a week. Nor had the team's reputation been devalued as the Scotland team's has by a succession of drinking stories and verbal faux pas in the media.

And by the fact that any OF player deemed good enough for Scotland can pick and choose his games without prejudicing his future prospects. Woe betide anyone else, including Fletcher, who tries to do likewise.

And by the way in which under certain past managers, a Scotland call-up has been seen (and used) as an opportunity for the OF, particularly Rangers, to have their players sound out other clubs players about moves to Glasgow. This is 'tapping' and in the good old days it was illegal - it was illegal in Craig Brown's time, but Brown allowed it to go on - encouraged it, in fact.

Potter's just another chapter in the obnoxious saga that is the SFA football team. Sorry!

Fair play mate......agree with you about Levein on some things, but playing for your country should be the proudest day of your pro career each and every time you pull on the Scotland jersey.

Regards the team's reputation......you, like me, were perhaps around when Wee Jinky and mates got lilian gished and decided to row a boat, and when Willie Johnston decided to take half of Boots Chemist in his suitcase at Argentina :greengrin How the boat never sank with Joe Harper in it is anyones guess.

Agree with you about the tapping up stuff. I thought the Levein/Goodwillie to Rangers interview was utterly unprofessional and unacceptable. United fans must have been raging and rightly so.

The Slav
02-02-2011, 02:14 PM
Whatever happened to having pride in playing for your Country!! - Fletcher is a twat, not wanting to play (for whatever reason) and for "allegedly" declining by text. Next time he will no doubt update his twatter page and delete Harry as a friend from Facebook. At his age and in the prime of his career, he should be racking up the caps, but with his attitude, the Scotland team may as well do without him.

Levein should have been shot for what he tried to do v Czech Republic, but that is history - get over it. Scotland needs it's strongest team on the park, and if people don't want to play, they cannot be forced.

Not so sure why so many of you care anyway - Fletcher is no longer a Hibbee and the only reason he may return to Easter Road will be to host a table in the West stand pre - games in 15 years time.

As for Levein being in charge - I am not fussed either way, but could care less that he is an ex-jambo - he is no more and one day he might pick a Hibbee when he finds one good enough that is playing well, which isn't exactly the case just now.

BryanV
02-02-2011, 02:36 PM

Nor did the international team demand that the player should be with the squad for the best part of a week, disrupting his work and time with his own club and team.

And then there's the fact that any OF player deemed good enough for Scotland can pick and choose his games without prejudicing his future prospects. Woe betide anyone else, including Fletcher, who tries to do likewise.

And the way in which under certain past managers, a Scotland call-up has been seen (and used) as an opportunity for the OF, particularly Rangers, to have their players sound out other clubs players about moves to Glasgow. This is 'tapping' and in the good old days it was illegal - it was illegal in Craig Brown's time, but Brown allowed it to go on - encouraged it, in fact.

What a rather rambling red herring. Fletcher's attitude has been questionable here and seems to have little to do with Wolves' relegation fight. At the start of December, when he wasn't featuring for in the first team, he spoke about wanting to leave them.

bawheid
02-02-2011, 02:40 PM
How the boat never sank with Joe Harper in it is anyones guess.

Ooooft. You've just mentioned Joe Harper in a post to Doddie.

Take cover! :duck:

--------
02-02-2011, 03:08 PM
Fair play mate......agree with you about Levein on some things, but playing for your country should be the proudest day of your pro career each and every time you pull on the Scotland jersey.

Regards the team's reputation......you, like me, were perhaps around when Wee Jinky and mates got lilian gished and decided to row a boat, and when Willie Johnston decided to take half of Boots Chemist in his suitcase at Argentina :greengrin How the boat never sank with Joe Harper in it is anyones guess.

Agree with you about the tapping up stuff. I thought the Levein/Goodwillie to Rangers interview was utterly unprofessional and unacceptable. United fans must have been raging and rightly so.

WAS Harper in the boat?

The story I heard was that the guys were on their way back from the pub and Jinky saw the boat.

"Let's go for a wee sail," he said.

"Aye, let's," said his 'friends'.

So Jinky got into the boat, on his own, and someone (I heard Pat Stanton) untied the rope, and someone else (I heard Denis Law) gave it a wee push, and Jinky was afloat and set for a life on the ocean wave.

The boat drifted gently out to sea, until Jinky (who wasn't the brightest bulb in the chandelier at the best of times but right at that particular moment was several pints and doubles to the worse of puggled) said...

"Hey guys, there's nae oars in this boat..."

At which point they had a problem.

Harper was never in the boat. If he was there at all, I'm sure he was skulking around at the back of the crowd, looking out for the polis so he could grass them all up and get brownie points with the SFA blazers.

But high jinks doon the watter's a far cry from two putrid Huns and a Soapdodger (all of exceedingly doubtful character, by the way) settling down to drink themselves stupid in a hotel bar at three in the morning.

One's just high jinks.

The other 's squalid and unseemly and depraved.

The sort of thing Joe Harper would have done, in fact.

:devil:

bighairyfaeleith
02-02-2011, 03:15 PM
Whatever happened to having pride in playing for your Country!! - Fletcher is a twat, not wanting to play (for whatever reason) and for "allegedly" declining by text. Next time he will no doubt update his twatter page and delete Harry as a friend from Facebook. At his age and in the prime of his career, he should be racking up the caps, but with his attitude, the Scotland team may as well do without him.

Levein should have been shot for what he tried to do v Czech Republic, but that is history - get over it. Scotland needs it's strongest team on the park, and if people don't want to play, they cannot be forced.

Not so sure why so many of you care anyway - Fletcher is no longer a Hibbee and the only reason he may return to Easter Road will be to host a table in the West stand pre - games in 15 years time.

As for Levein being in charge - I am not fussed either way, but could care less that he is an ex-jambo - he is no more and one day he might pick a Hibbee when he finds one good enough that is playing well, which isn't exactly the case just now.

Thats a very apt name, the slaver:greengrin

Joe Baker II
02-02-2011, 03:26 PM

Sorry to disagree Doddie again as you are usually spot on, but Souness made clear to Stein he did not wish to play friendly internationals - did not like it at the time but this is nothing new to Scottish football.

sh00byd00
02-02-2011, 03:46 PM
Levien being a plum aside and ignoring the fact this is an ex player, i don't understand why it's so easy to just walk back into a national team nowadays once you've told them to go **** themselves.

To concentrate on your club football, the wrong side of 30 and because of an injury laden career are all valid excuses, but when a player refuses to play just because he happens to dislike the 'current' set-up he should be omitted for the rest of his playing career.

Imagine if an English player told the manager to go **** himself, there would be an uproar if the FA allowed that player near the team again. The same goes for Spain etc, there would be no second chances.

I know someone is going to throw the Scholes example at me, England begging him to come back etc, but he didn't stop playing for England because he happened to think McLaren was a dick, it was for footballing and physical reasons.

It's about time players stopped thinking they can just waltz back into the team when it suits them, it's embarrassing ffs. The SFA made a rod for their own back by allowing players a 2nd, 3rd chance. Time to nip it in the bud.

--------
02-02-2011, 03:54 PM
Sorry to disagree Doddie again as you are usually spot on, but Souness made clear to Stein he did not wish to play friendly internationals - did not like it at the time but this is nothing new to Scottish football.

I know that.

That IMO was Souness's prerogative, as it was Stein's to decide not to pick him. The fact that I had little time for either of them wasn't relevant - each was entitled to his point of view.

It made a bigger stir at the time, because players didn't usually refuse selection for the national team in those days. But then, to be selected for the Scotland team in those days, a player had to be recognisably Scots - or a lot more so than nowadays. When it comes to the point where two or three countries are competing for a player's services - he has an Irish granny, a Welsh grandad, his auntie comes from Baghdad and his second cousin twice removed once wore a kilt at a wedding, so who's he going to play for - it all gets a bit silly, IMO.

The Slav
02-02-2011, 04:03 PM
is it not all just indicative of the game today - The players and Agents hold all the cards.

In the good old days, Ferguson, McGregor et al, would have had their international career finished as happened with the Copenhagen Five in 1975 (Bremner, Graham, Young, McCluskey & Harper getting pished in a nightclub) and only really allowed back into the fold once they had grovelled and were really too old to play for their country anyway.

How many jobs these days, does the manager get paid less than those he is in charge of, and have it dictated to them how when and whatever.

Time for a wage cap and get agents tae ****!!

woody47
02-02-2011, 05:37 PM

No he aint, as a cock has its uses. Even ****** has uses. He has none. A non-entity. Really despise this cretin with a vengance.
:fuming:

Andy74
02-02-2011, 05:41 PM
Levein is obviously an idiot, but so is Fletcher.

It's sad now that players think they have made it as soon as they sign the deal that gets them the flash cars and the flash house.

Not many of them care much beyond that it seems.

Wing Half
02-02-2011, 06:29 PM
I'd be interested to know if he was selected via text message hence the reply.

Levein and his great ideas.

Westie1875
02-02-2011, 06:30 PM
They're both in the wrong IMO, how difficult is it to pick up the phone and have a conversation with someone?

If Fletcher sent a text then Harry as the more senior of the two and the manager should have picked up the phone and called him to clarify exactly what the situation is and have a chat about it rather than release stories through the tabloids painting Fletcher as the bad guy.

Absolutely pathetic that this is played out in the media because two adults who are supposed to work together are too petty and stubborn to actually make the effort to speak to each other. It is typical of the way Harry is running Scotland though, he seems to want to play everything out via the media.

eastmainsmsh
02-02-2011, 06:36 PM

Snap Levein is a hertz **** ....Boring,negative prick

Hibster
02-02-2011, 07:32 PM
disappointing from Fletch. especially to do it by text. maybe there's other reasons that we don't know about, but if its just him having a sulk after not being previously selected then he needs to man up - he's not a youngster anymore, and is playing for a championship-bound team. if he's ever going to be an international regular then he needs to be taking advantage of every chance he gets

hibsbollah
02-02-2011, 07:38 PM
Fletcher is perfectly entitled not to play for Scotland when that erse Levein is in charge, even more so as he was being excluded from the set-up anyway prior to this. Also, lots of important business gets done by text these days, especially by folk in their twenties like Fletch. It doesnt represent any more of a snub or a slight than it would be if he told him to stick it by any ofther means of communication.

You wouldnt know that listening to that odious sportsound programme tonight, you'd think he'd disrespected the dead the way they were carrying on:rolleyes:

Hibster
02-02-2011, 07:55 PM
Fletcher is perfectly entitled not to play for Scotland when that erse Levein is in charge, even more so as he was being excluded from the set-up anyway prior to this. Also, lots of important business gets done by text these days, especially by folk in their twenties like Fletch. It doesnt represent any more of a snub or a slight than it would be if he told him to stick it by any ofther means of communication.

You wouldnt know that listening to that odious sportsound programme tonight, you'd think he'd disrespected the dead the way they were carrying on:rolleyes:

Not when it comes to work issues - at least not that I've ever heard of anyway. And yeah, he's entitled not to play for Scotland, just hope he's not assuming he'll get back in the team after Levein's gone. Once you turn your back on your country that should be it (that is, if he has really turned his back on Scotland - hopefully it turns out there's more to this). As should have happened with Boyd etc.

Fletcher's a decent player, but nothing special. Better players than him have struggled to get into previous Scotland sides and still made themselves available to the team. Anyway its his choice

snooky
02-02-2011, 11:28 PM

:agree:

sauzee's-socks
03-02-2011, 12:37 AM
Levein is a muppet. Fletcher sat on the bench patiently waiting his chance. Then the Czech game happened. Sat in the stand watching some non league Englishman who had hit a purple goalscoring patch waltz into the starting XI. Then to add insult to injury Levein throws on....Iwelumo!!!!

He knows he's the best striker we've got, can you imagine how frustrating it would be seeing non-entities getting in before you? Not to mention Boyd getting the start against Leichtenstein a few days before. Then he is snubbed for a friendly against the Faroe's where he could easily bang a few goals in and properly establish himself.

Normally I would be first to vilify players who knock Scotland back but I can completely understand Fletcher's frustration.

Levein must go, but I suspect he has a few too many friends in the media for that to happen any time soon.

yekimevol
03-02-2011, 10:55 AM
levein has not given him a fare deal.

but, as far as im concerned you never turn your back on your contry im not impressed flech.

--------
03-02-2011, 11:01 AM
Levein is a muppet. Fletcher sat on the bench patiently waiting his chance. Then the Czech game happened. Sat in the stand watching some non league Englishman who had hit a purple goalscoring patch waltz into the starting XI. Then to add insult to injury Levein throws on....Iwelumo!!!!

He knows he's the best striker we've got, can you imagine how frustrating it would be seeing non-entities getting in before you? Not to mention Boyd getting the start against Leichtenstein a few days before. Then he is snubbed for a friendly against the Faroe's where he could easily bang a few goals in and properly establish himself.

Normally I would be first to vilify players who knock Scotland back but I can completely understand Fletcher's frustration.

Levein must go, but I suspect he has a few too many friends in the media for that to happen any time soon.

:agree:

This is professional sport we're discussing, not the survival of the nation. It's a makeweight minor tournament - a wannabe Home International Championship without the one team that would make it significant - not the Battle of the Somme.

Fletcher is fully entitled to make his own decisions about where and for whom he plies his trade.

He maybe just wants to avoid the hassle every 6 weeks or so of wondering whether THIS TIME Potty's going to condescend to pick him to sit in the stand watching someone else play at number 9.

Potty's the sort of guy who has to put people in their place. Maybe Fletcher's just tired of the mind-games?

Besides, I'm not yet convinced that Fletcher meant anything other than, "Count me out for this one, please."

Moulin Yarns
03-02-2011, 01:27 PM
levein has not given him a fare deal.

but, as far as im concerned you never turn your back on your contry im not impressed flech.

According to Fletch on his twitter he didn't....

In scottish papers for wrong reasons 2day...concentrating on gettin wolves up the table big game 2nyt!

• Oh well every1 has there own opinion...hopefully b bk in squad 1 day but for now I'm goin for a sleep as we hav a massive game 2nyt

• Just like to clarify I didn't say I retire just asked to b excused from this friendly and as per got taken to far!

--------
03-02-2011, 01:43 PM

In scottish papers for wrong reasons 2day...concentrating on gettin wolves up the table big game 2nyt!

• Oh well every1 has there own opinion...hopefully b bk in squad 1 day but for now I'm goin for a sleep as we hav a massive game 2nyt

• Just like to clarify I didn't say I retire just asked to b excused from this friendly and as per got taken to far!

Now I HATE textspeak but I wouldn't fall out with anyone for using it. Maybe Potter's never heard of it?

Potter needs to wise up and take his flapping great hoof out of his mouth. he now has a feud going with Fletcher - HIS fault, not Fletch's - and another with Deek - again his fault, not Deek's.

HP is not, nor ever will be, one of the Great Brains of football. He achieves what he achieves by setting up the team defensively, telling everyone to run about like mad, and hoping for a break of the ball. Fletch and Deek are well out of it, IMO.

silverhibee
03-02-2011, 04:11 PM
They're both in the wrong IMO, how difficult is it to pick up the phone and have a conversation with someone?

If Fletcher sent a text then Harry as the more senior of the two and the manager should have picked up the phone and called him to clarify exactly what the situation is and have a chat about it rather than release stories through the tabloids painting Fletcher as the bad guy.

Absolutely pathetic that this is played out in the media because two adults who are supposed to work together are too petty and stubborn to actually make the effort to speak to each other. It is typical of the way Harry is running Scotland though, he seems to want to play everything out via the media.

Only when it suits him though.

DCI Gene Hunt
03-02-2011, 05:27 PM
I feel a bit ambivelant about this. Firstly, I'm disappointed in Fletch - always thought he was above this sort of thing. That said, I understand his reasons. Potter is a fanny who does not appreciate talent. A Yam fanny at that. A Yam fanny who plays 4-6-0.

Hmm, to rethink - good on you Fletch, you're too good for pish like Potter's Scotland.

G

bighairyfaeleith
03-02-2011, 07:31 PM

That sounds like a far more plausible answer from Fletcher. Surprised the press haven't said anything about his reply :rolleyes

Dashing Bob S
03-02-2011, 07:43 PM
I think a major unspoken subtext is being missed here. Scotland is in terminal decline as an international footballing nation, and for the few high level Scottish players, turning out for an international must be a tiresome imposition. Leveins probably played into Fletchers hand by permiting his to absent himself from that joke of a scene. I'm sure there are other top players who wish he'd take the same approach with them.

For Leveins part, he has no stature in the game at international level and probably feels more comfortable brownnosing hun squad players or dealing with the James Mackies of this world.