PDA

View Full Version : Division One Here We Come!

johnrebus
01-02-2011, 09:05 AM
With no apology whatsoever to the people who seem to be content with the recent comings and goings at ER

We have brought in a mixture of largely untried inexperience and lower league, low scoring journeymen - and made a tidy profit in the process. They must be so proud of dear old Rod at these accountants functions.

I actually think that Rod Petrie and STF are now taking the piss.

I have probably been what was known as a 'happy clapper' for the last forty odd years, but enough is enough.

With Riordan off in the summer the cupboard is now bare, the family silver has all been sold - yet the board continue to pay themselves a hefty slice of our turnover - and we are deservedly heading for the First Division with no great hope of coming straight back.

Like mushrooms, we are sitting in the dark, being fed *****.

Make no mistake, we are being royally shafted.

:fuming:

ronaldo7
01-02-2011, 09:31 AM
Sorry John, Just don't do white flags in my hoose regarding the Hibs.

Lots of points to play for, and I'll be there shouting the boys on to victory, starting tomorrow night.

GGTTH:flag:

Graham Law
01-02-2011, 10:23 AM
Sorry John, Just don't do white flags in my hoose regarding the Hibs.

Lots of points to play for, and I'll be there shouting the boys on to victory, starting tomorrow night.

GGTTH:flag:

To be fair the opening poster (John) has not stated at any point that he will not be there tomorrow night.

And for what its worth, I think his post holds some real and very recent relevant points.....

I am making no judgement on the players signed as I do not know them from Adam and I wish them every success in the famous green n white.

That said, what is so very clear and what Hibs have so clearly failed to do is gamble just a little in this transfer window. A window that without a shadow of a doubt was a window that needed more than any other in the last 10 YEARS Hibs dipping the big toe in the water rather than the pinky!!

There can be no doubt that Mr petrie has taken his biggest spin of the dice so far. I am sorry but regardless of the 6 signings made he has not backed his manager in this transfer window!

I would also back myself with a considerable wager that these players would have been far from the top of CC list.

Good luck Hibs and all the best to the fans and stay behind the team guys as make no mistake...... THEY WILL NEED YOUR SUPPORT

GGTTH

Iain G
01-02-2011, 10:36 AM
I would also back myself with a considerable wager that these players would have been far from the top of CC list.

GGTTH

While I disagree with a lot on this thread, espcially some of this ever so predicatble and repetitive mantra about Petrie and accountancy and balance sheets, I must pick up on the one point you made above. :wink:

Thornhill would have been pretty high up on Calderwoods list given that he gave him his chance at Forest, I suspect Palsson would have been too, good young player with an EPL side.

Scott would have been high on Derek Adams list I suspect, knowing exactly what fire and fight he could bring to our ailing wimpish midfield.

Divis has been on trial for a few days and obviously convinced manager and assistant enough that he is better than what we have at present.

Towell impressed in a bounce game, followed up by CC and brought in, player on the fringes of the Celtic first team.

WE tried to get in the striker from Sheffield Utd but he turned the move down, we moved to plan B and got in someone else Calderwood was well aware of.

I would think that saying that most of these are not top of the list is unfair to manager and assistant doing their homework, I would say 4 out of the 6 were fairly high up that ol imaginery list of yours! :agree:

Col2
01-02-2011, 10:37 AM
The OP is spot on I am afraid.

We have not scored this year. We have no creativity and we are shipping goals.

What have we done in Jan transfer window. Sold our most talented centre half (accepting he can be a liability sometimes), sold one of our few creative players in Zemamma and brought in a 10 club journey man who is hardly prolific.

We are in my opinion worse off now than 31/12 in central defense and up front creativity. Yes we MAY be better in midfield and odds are we will be but will this win us games, help score goals and avoid conceding them.

I am expecting a two page petrie/lindsay evening news story telling us that the board delivered on the promises of providing the manager will all resources available. We got +£400k in and spent probably less than half if you include transfer fee and signing on fee. Petri must be delighted with this.

Quite simply as said earlier we needed to gamble and pay a little more than normal. We didn't and our chances are very much in the balance.

Makaveli
01-02-2011, 10:39 AM
Some good post. Another way to look at is that the club has in fact taken a massive gamble by expecting players not good enough for the Championship etc to somehow galvanize a squad that's not good enough for the SPL.

Obviously I'm not judging the new players but I fear we're asking too much of them.

Spike Mandela
01-02-2011, 10:43 AM
We all have our views on the signings good or bad but the proof of the pudding will be in the eating.

Nothing we can do about signings now except get behind them and help them be the best they can be.

Graham Law
01-02-2011, 10:44 AM
While I disagree with a lot on this thread, espcially some of this ever so predicatble and repetitive mantra about Petrie and accountancy and balance sheets, I must pick up on the one point you made above. :wink:

Thornhill would have been pretty high up on Calderwoods list given that he gave him his chance at Forest, I suspect Palsson would have been too, good young player with an EPL side.

Scott would have been high on Derek Adams list I suspect, knowing exactly what fire and fight he could bring to our ailing wimpish midfield.

Divis has been on trial for a few days and obviously convinced manager and assistant enough that he is better than what we have at present.

Towell impressed in a bounce game, followed up by CC and brought in, player on the fringes of the Celtic first team.

WE tried to get in the striker from Sheffield Utd but he turned the move down, we moved to plan B and got in someone else Calderwood was well aware of.

I would think that saying that most of these are not top of the list is unfair to manager and assistant doing their homework, I would say 4 out of the 6 were fairly high up that ol imaginery list of yours! :agree:

Hey Iain,

Long time no speak.. hope your well

I would have liked you not to knit pick my post and only highlight one point but fair do's I guess that happens on here .. :greengrin

You keep believing that is the players CC wanted... I would beg to differ as he is a wise man and will know he needed experience and track records going into this battle.

You have done well to link most of these players to the current management set up and I understand where you are coming from but this does not mean they were there intended targets and for me it sucks a bit of the back up plan.

As i said and will coninue to say .. I aint no anti-Petrie but i am very much a person to pull my head out the clouds sometimes and I will say it again..

Mr Petrie aint backed the manager in my opinion and has taken one hell of a gamble..

In my view its been a poor window and i hope we do not pay for it mate.

khib70
01-02-2011, 10:44 AM
To be fair the opening poster (John) has not stated at any point that he will not be there tomorrow night.
And for what its worth, I think his post holds some real and very recent relevant points.....

I am making no judgement on the players signed as I do not know them from Adam and I wish them every success in the famous green n white.

That said, what is so very clear and what Hibs have so clearly failed to do is gamble just a little in this transfer window. A window that without a shadow of a doubt was a window that needed more than any other in the last 10 YEARS Hibs dipping the big toe in the water rather than the pinky!!

There can be no doubt that Mr petrie has taken his biggest spin of the dice so far. I am sorry but regardless of the 6 signings made he has not backed his manager in this transfer window!

Good luck Hibs and all the best to the fans and stay behind the team guys as make no mistake...... THEY WILL NEED YOUR SUPPORT

GGTTH
Graham, you should read the other threads and you'll see that anyone critical of the Board, or the transfer policy, is automatically either a. a yam b. totally disloyal to the club or c. an imbecile who cant count.

JR is just the latest addition to the hitlist. I've got a thick skin and I don't give a toss what they think, but the abuse being dished out to other posters by the predictable coterie of Board apologists is actually beginning to piss me off.

Toe the party line at all times, or you're not a proper Hibby.

MacBean
01-02-2011, 10:46 AM
I wonder how many Hibees will be eating their own hats tomorrow evening at 10pm after we have finally won

Craig_in_Prague
01-02-2011, 10:54 AM
I'll disagree then with you all.

There's a correlation between fee's and wages. Players that require a decent fee, tend to come with a decent wage too.
So I think Hibs can, and do, pay fee's where the player will fit into our wage structure. We all want Hibs to be signing real quality, but have a reality check on what SPL clubs can do compared to most of England.

As for the players brought in, I am sure most of them are on decent wages, so we maybe didn't spend on fee's that much, but the outgoings won't have decreased.

I can't speak for the keeper and striker signed yesterday, but I was very impressed by Palsson and also Scott. The former looking real quality, good football brain, range of passing and plenty composure. The latter with plenty effort, fight and determination. Excactly what we need.
Thornhill has arrived with plenty positive comments from forest fans, he didn't break into a side doing brilliant, so what. CC knows him and I'm sure he'll be a good addition. Towell looks decent, quick enough, strong and a big improvement on Hart - that ought to retire tbh.

So are these players good players? Very much so.
Will they keep us up? CC thinks so, let's see how it pans out.

I'm actually pretty happy with the CC signings and hopeful of moving forward now and no doubt he 1) thinks they'll keep us up, but 2) think they'll form part of his side next season.
Riordan hasn't left, so perhaps he see's the new striker being the one to muscle with defenders and to enable Deek to get space and chances.

I'm usually glass half empty person, but there you go - my thoughts!

Spike Mandela
01-02-2011, 10:57 AM

There's a correlation between fee's and wages. Players that require a decent fee, tend to come with a decent wage too.
So I think Hibs can, and do, pay fee's where the player will fit into our wage structure. We all want Hibs to be signing real quality, but have a reality check on what SPL clubs can do compared to most of England.

As for the players brought in, I am sure most of them are on decent wages, so we maybe didn't spend on fee's that much, but the outgoings won't have decreased.

I can't speak for the keeper and striker signed yesterday, but I was very impressed by Palsson and also Scott. The former looking real quality, good football brain, range of passing and plenty composure. The latter with plenty effort, fight and determination. Excactly what we need.
Thornhill has arrived with plenty positive comments from forest fans, he didn't break into a side doing brilliant, so what. CC knows him and I'm sure he'll be a good addition. Towell looks decent, quick enough, strong and a big improvement on Hart - that ought to retire tbh.

I'm actually pretty happy with the CC signings and hopeful of moving forward now and no doubt he 1) thinks they'll keep us up, but 2) think they'll form part of his side next season.
Riordan hasn't left, so perhaps he see's the new striker being the one to muscle with defenders and to enable Deek to get space and chances.

We all hope you are right:cool2:

Ritchie
01-02-2011, 10:59 AM
I wonder how many Hibees will be eating their own hats tomorrow evening at 10pm after we have finally won

none, zero, nada, zilch.... we will get a draw at best.

Spike Mandela
01-02-2011, 11:04 AM

I would happily eat an entire hat shop for a scrambled winner against the run of play tomorrow night.:greengrin

7Hero
01-02-2011, 11:08 AM
Why do a lot of posters on this website reply to posts like the OP as not suipporting the club ?

We are entitled to an opinion, amazingly it is dismissed straoght oput of hand as not supporting the club.

"being fed *****" and "royally shafted" - not a truer word spoken.

Well said that man..

GreenPJ
01-02-2011, 11:18 AM
Why do a lot of posters on this website reply to posts like the OP as not suipporting the club ?

We are entitled to an opinion, amazingly it is dismissed straoght oput of hand as not supporting the club.

Well said that man..

So what do we do then? I don't mean in terms of protest I mean what and who should have been signed in the window? I don't have a problem with people expressing an opinion but its always easier to throw stones than it is to fix the window so be critical but come out with a solution that will provide us with the players to stay up and leave enough of a budget to replace (or retain) the other players who will be out of contract come the summer.

down-the-slope
01-02-2011, 11:19 AM
Sproule - p/t player and sparky...Not Hibs class
Boozy - French lower league journeyman...Not Hibs Class
Sheils - Not made it at bigger club...Not Hibs Class
Bamba - Ist Div player most never heard of..Not Hibs class
Keith Wright - Skinny first Div player...Not Hibs class

I could go on...but get the point?

At least spare the players / management / board the benefit of your great wisdom until after they have had a couple of months to prove you right......

Or maybe as history has shown NOT

Sergio sledge
01-02-2011, 11:21 AM

What have we done in Jan transfer window. Sold our most talented centre half (accepting he can be a liability sometimes), sold one of our few creative players in Zemamma and brought in a 10 club journey man who is hardly prolific.

We are in my opinion worse off now than 31/12 in central defense and up front creativity. Yes we MAY be better in midfield and odds are we will be but will this win us games, help score goals and avoid conceding them.

I am expecting a two page petrie/lindsay evening news story telling us that the board delivered on the promises of providing the manager will all resources available. We got +£400k in and spent probably less than half if you include transfer fee and signing on fee. Petri must be delighted with this.

Quite simply as said earlier we needed to gamble and pay a little more than normal. We didn't and our chances are very much in the balance.

I can understand why you have the opinion you do, but with regards to the bit in bold, I think that the midfield being strengthened will very definitely help us score goals and avoid conceding goals.

We havent had a midfield that protects the back four since Hughes came in and the defensive record has reflected that. I don't think Dickoh and Hanlon are bad centre backs, but their lack of confidence from the first half of the season where there was no protecti0on from the midfield is clear. The also seem to have no confidence in the keeper and hopefully the new Goalie can rectify that. Pallson should provide protection for the back four by all accounts.

Another issue we've had is that there has been no creativity and runners from midfield recently. The signings of Scott and Thornhill will provide bite in the midfield but also energy and support to the front players. I was against the selling of Zemmama because much like you I saw him as one of our only creative midfielders. Hopefully however with the new striker signed who can hold up the ball, make it stick upfront and bring in other players we will see Riordan getting into scoring positions and being given the ball in scoring positions as well as seeing Scott/Thornhill/Wotherspoon/Galbraith being able to get up and support the strikers as the ball is sticking up front long enough for them to make runs. I'm optimistic we will start to improve now and see a settled team of:

Divis
Towell, Dickoh, Hanlon, Booth
Wotherspoon, Pallson, Scott, Thornhill
Sodje, Riordan

I'm delighted that Riordan wasn't sold as we are going to rely on him regaining his form now he has players around him who can set him up in scoring positions. Hopefully the lack of action for Riordan over the last few weeks has been beneficial to him with the injury he's been carrying and he can come back firing on all cylinders for the run in. :thumbsup:

Graham Law
01-02-2011, 11:22 AM

Craig,

I think you are missing some of the points buddy. I don't think anyone or most or at the very least, certainly not me is judging the crop of players that have just arrived at ER.. That simply would be unfair and I wish each and evry one of them the very best..

That said, and i will try to lighten the mood and put it in a slightly different phrase..

We have again shopped at Lidl.. sometimes you get the odd bargain but mostly the stuff is average at best but normally pretty poor..

We more than ever in the last 10 years had to shop at M&S this window as without doubt we needed quality and not qauntity.

GGTTH

Hibercelona
01-02-2011, 11:25 AM

Well said that man..

:agree:

Couldn't agree more with the OP. I'm very disappointed with this transfer window, but not in the least bit surprised.

Its as if the board arent in the least bit interested. :bitchy:

--------
01-02-2011, 11:25 AM

And I'll agree with YOU, Craig.

While I have serious misgivings about certain apparent aspects of the ER set-up - I reckon the malaise at the club goes a lot deeper than just "the manager cannae manage" or "the players cannae play" - I'm happy with the players we've signed and a little more optimistic about our chances of avoiding the drop.

Palsson and Scott, I agree, look to be good signings of exactly the sort we required. Thornhill looks a decent lad, too; Towell, as you say, is quick and a lot better than what we've seen recently at RB. Divis apparently had a good trial period at EM. He's 24, 6' 5" tall, and a Czech U-19 and U-21 cap. Played against Scotland a few years back at the Falkirk Stadium. Seems a sensible acquisition.

Sodje, poor chap, seems to be some folks' worst nightmare, but I've seen him a few times on The Football League Show, playing for an assortment of clubs, and while he doesn't have the silky skills of an Alan Gordon or a Joe Baker, he didn't look nearly as bad as some folks seem to think he is. A good, big, honest bloke who takes no nonsense and stays on his feet and can hold the ball - and he's built like a brick ****house. I hope some SPL centre-backs try to bully HIM like they've been bullying Nish. I really do. One thing seems to be clear - he's likely to put in a full shift and then some. Could be a LOT worse, IMO.

Six players in, all of them at least promising to be better than the players we already have. Seems a decent window's work to me. Surely we've missed out on others, but buying players isn't like going to the supermarket - a manager's always going to miss some of his targets. Of those who have gone, I can bring myslef to regret Bamba and Zouma, but Bamba hasn't had his mind on the job for months, and how much football have we had out of Zouma recently? And apparently we still have Deek, albeit an injured Deek, but hopefully soon a fit one, taking advantage of a large and energetic striking partner's lay-offs?

Like say, could be a lot worse. We're not out of the woods by a long chalk, and I'm not yet convinced we'll survive. But giving the new guys pelters before they're well started isn't going to help, IMO.

Yup - glass half full. Until Wednesday.

lEXO
01-02-2011, 11:26 AM
I,ll reserve judgement on the players until they have at least had a chance to show us what they can do.I,d never heard of Murphy,Deano,Hogg(he did play well for us for a while)Jones,Zemmamma,Benji and others, but they came in and done a job for us.Give these guys a chance FFS before we start moaning.
We needed new faces in and we have got them, and anybody expecting a big signing given our position needs a reality check big time.You know what? These guys need to do what the rest of our squad havent done this season, hit the ground running.So c,mon give them a bit support.
There really are a bunch of negative grumpy barstewards in our support.And i,ve heard them moaning when we were doing well, so they must be in their element now.

Craig_in_Prague
01-02-2011, 11:28 AM
Craig,

I think you are missing some of the points buddy. I don't think anyone or most or at the very least, certainly not me is judging the crop of players that have just arrived at ER.. That simply would be unfair and I wish each and evry one of them the very best..

That said, and i will try to lighten the mood and put it in a slightly different phrase..

We have again shopped at Lidl.. sometimes you get the odd bargain but mostly the stuff is average at best but normally pretty poor..

We more than ever in the last 10 years had to shop at M&S this window as without doubt we needed quality and not qauntity.

GGTTH

I get the point, but we'll never spend what we can't afford.

If we spent a million on a player, he'd command probably 20k a week.

From the 1 game I seen of Palsson, a captain of Liverpool reserves, to me is a young, but most definitely a quality signing.
Scott adds the agression we need, and he can play a bit too. We moan we don't bring in good players from lower scottish leagues, when we do, we're shopping at Lidl.
Thornhill came through academy of a huge club, CC knows him, so only have good feeling only that signing.

I'd love a latapy or sauzee or something special , but there's so many other clubs that can pay more than us.

given our current position as well, I'm glad we've signed such players, they no doubt could have went elsewhere, in summer if nothing else.

We've got in more than half a side, so I trust CC and we'll be ok.

Peevemor
01-02-2011, 11:30 AM
I,ll reserve judgement on the players until they have at least had a chance to show us what they can do.I,d never heard of Murphy,Deano,Hogg(he did play well for us for a while)Jones,Zemmamma,Benji and others, but they came in and done a job for us.Give these guys a chance FFS before we start moaning.
We needed new faces in and we have got them, and anybody expecting a big signing given our position needs a reality check big time.You know what? These guys need to do what the rest of our squad havent done this season, hit the ground running.So c,mon give them a bit support.
There really are a bunch of negative grumpy barstewards in our support.And i,ve heard them moaning when we were doing well, so they must be in their element now.

I get the point, but we'll never spend what we can't afford.

If we spent a million on a player, he'd command probably 20k a week.

From the 1 game I seen of Palsson, a captain of Liverpool reserves, to me is a young, but most definitely a quality signing.
Scott adds the agression we need, and he can play a bit too. We moan we don't bring in good players from lower scottish leagues, when we do, we're shopping at Lidl.
Thornhill came through academy of a huge club, CC knows him, so only have good feeling only that signing.

I'd love a latapy or sauzee or something special , but there's so many other clubs that can pay more than us.

given our current position as well, I'm glad we've signed such players, they no doubt could have went elsewhere, in summer of nothing else.

We've got in more than half a side, so I trust CC and we'll be ok.

Craig_in_Prague
01-02-2011, 11:33 AM
And I'll agree with YOU, Craig.

While I have serious misgivings about certain apparent aspects of the ER set-up - I reckon the malaise at the club goes a lot deeper than just "the manager cannae manage" or "the players cannae play" - I'm happy with the players we've signed and a little more optimistic about our chances of avoiding the drop.

Palsson and Scott, I agree, look to be good signings of exactly the sort we required. Thornhill looks a decent lad, too; Towell, as you say, is quick and a lot better than what we've seen recently at RB. Divis apparently had a good trial period at EM. He's 24, 6' 5" tall, and a Czech U-19 and U-21 cap. Played against Scotland a few years back at the Falkirk Stadium. Seems a sensible acquisition.

Sodje, poor chap, seems to be some folks' worst nightmare, but I've seen him a few times on The Football League Show, playing for an assortment of clubs, and while he doesn't have the silky skills of an Alan Gordon or a Joe Baker, he didn't look nearly as bad as some folks seem to think he is. A good, big, honest bloke who takes no nonsense and stays on his feet and can hold the ball - and he's built like a brick ****house. I hope some SPL centre-backs try to bully HIM like they've been bullying Nish. I really do. One thing seems to be clear - he's likely to put in a full shift and then some. Could be a LOT worse, IMO.

Six players in, all of them at least promising to be better than the players we already have. Seems a decent window's work to me. Surely we've missed out on others, but buying players isn't like going to the supermarket - a manager's always going to miss some of his targets. Of those who have gone, I can bring myslef to regret Bamba and Zouma, but Bamba hasn't had his mind on the job for months, and how much football have we had out of Zouma recently? And apparently we still have Deek, albeit an injured Deek, but hopefully soon a fit one, taking advantage of a large and energetic striking partner's lay-offs?

Like say, could be a lot worse. We're not out of the woods by a long chalk, and I'm not yet convinced we'll survive. But giving the new guys pelters before they're well started isn't going to help, IMO.

Yup - glass half full. Until Wednesday.

:aok:

totally agree, far from out the woods yet, but a decent transfer window for us.

CC obviously would like a full side which he signed, so to achieve just over half a new team, isn't bad going, when each player signed brings us something surely we can acknowledge.

Lago
01-02-2011, 11:34 AM

Yip should have pushed the boat out and brought Torres to ER

Col2
01-02-2011, 11:36 AM
I think some people are missing the point a bit.

We are not in our normal mid to top 4/5 position in the table. We are staring relegation in the face. Its all very well saying that some unknown players have proved in the past to be gems - and hopefully this will be the case but Hibs and especially Petrie have gambled on this working out rather than risk pushing the boat out on more tried and trusted players.

If you are mid table and it fails then you end up dissappoined but still in the SPL, if you are 2 points off the bottom and it fails, well you know the rest.....

If we are all picking the bones out of why we were relegated come May 2011 then i guarantee ALL of us will regret that the board did not take a bigger risk and the knifes will be out big time.

Hamish
01-02-2011, 11:39 AM
I would happily eat an entire hat shop for a scrambled winner against the run of play tomorrow night.:greengrin

Yellow pages... ah yes...milliners....milliners....

Col2
01-02-2011, 11:40 AM
Yip should have pushed the boat out and brought Torres to ER

One extreme to another - get a grip.

How about pushing the boat out for Webster and Rooney? Low transfer fees but higher wages, worth the risk. One is a leader and great central defender and one is a proven SPL goalscorer who can lead the line.

Hardley unreasonable?

lEXO
01-02-2011, 11:42 AM
I think some people are missing the point a bit.

We are not in our normal mid to top 4/5 position in the table. We are staring relegation in the face. Its all very well saying that some unknown players have proved in the past to be gems - and hopefully this will be the case but Hibs and especially Petrie have gambled on this working out rather than risk pushing the boat out on more tried and trusted players.

If you are mid table and it fails then you end up dissappoined but still in the SPL, if you are 2 points off the bottom and it fails, well you know the rest.....

If we are all picking the bones out of why we were relegated come May 2011 then i guarantee ALL of us will regret that the board did not take a bigger risk and the knifes will be out big time.
But who,s to say they did,nt try to get a better striker or centre half, but they would,nt come.People are presuming that they have just went out and got what they wanted.Nobody does do they?

Hibercelona
01-02-2011, 11:45 AM

How about pushing the boat out for Webster and Rooney? Low transfer fees but higher wages, worth the risk. One is a leader and great central defender and one is a proven SPL goalscorer who can lead the line.

Hardley unreasonable?

Exactly!

Why don't we fork out just that little bit extra for players that are proven at this level, instead of just going for the cheap of the cheap options and taking a huge gamble. Especially in this situation.

CropleyWasGod
01-02-2011, 11:48 AM
Exactly!

Why don't we fork out just that little bit extra for players that are proven at this level, instead of just going for the cheap of the cheap options and taking a huge gamble. Especially in this situation.

Again, how do you KNOW we didn't?

Rod to Webster/Rooney/Torres "sign for the Hibs, son?"

Webster/Rooney/Torres "yes, boss."

It doesn't work like that any more... if it ever did.

Expecting Rain
01-02-2011, 11:50 AM
This is the first real opportunity that Calderwood has had to make his mark on the team, let things take shape before we criticise too harshly, Petrie was cautious with Mowbray initially and there has to be the same restraints shown at the present moment, if Calderwood proves that he is shrewd in his recent dealings he will gain the confidence of the chairman and be given more scope at the end of the season and that is the way it should be, you can`t expect every aquisition to be a resounding success.

Hibee Daz
01-02-2011, 11:51 AM
Graham, you should read the other threads and you'll see that anyone critical of the Board, or the transfer policy, is automatically either a. a yam b. totally disloyal to the club or c. an imbecile who cant count.

JR is just the latest addition to the hitlist. I've got a thick skin and I don't give a toss what they think, but the abuse being dished out to other posters by the predictable coterie of Board apologists is actually beginning to piss me off.

Aye its a an awfy sad state of affairs when you get it tight for having a difference of opinion.:rolleyes:

Hibercelona
01-02-2011, 11:53 AM
Again, how do you KNOW we didn't?

Rod to Webster/Rooney/Torres "sign for the Hibs, son?"

Webster/Rooney/Torres "yes, boss."

It doesn't work like that any more... if it ever did.

Get a grip FFS.

Who mentioned Torres?

You trying to tell me that we can't afford Adam Rooney of Inverness? :bye:

Lago

Hardley unreasonable?

No not unreasonable, apart from the fact that Rooney apparently has options out with the SPL so is hedging his bets & Webster has a tendency to injury hence his Rangers stint stalled also can just see this site going into melt down if another ex Hearts player was to sign, just look at the reaction to the rumours that Hartley was coming to ER in the summer.

GreenPJ
Craig,

GGTTH

Liverpool reserves, Nottingham Forrest and Celtic - what sort of Lidl do you shop at? Charlton in League 1 are still capable of 20K a week in terms of crowds - maybe we are the Lidl.

Hibercelona
01-02-2011, 11:54 AM

:top marks

You have to wonder just how many people that come on here have some sort of "connection" with the board. :rolleyes:

CropleyWasGod
01-02-2011, 11:55 AM
Get a grip FFS.

Who mentioned Torres?

You are missing my point.

We can't just go out and say.... "we will have you, you and you." You say that we should have pushed the boat out. My question, again, is How do you know we didn't? How do you know that we didn't try hard to get Rooney or whoever, and he decided he didn't wan't to come???

ELZ1875
01-02-2011, 12:00 PM
Why would Rooney sign for us to get, maybe 5k a week when he can go down south in 6 months and get 10k plus. He is attracting a lot of interest.

Hibercelona
01-02-2011, 12:00 PM
You are missing my point.

We can't just go out and say.... "we will have you, you and you." You say that we should have pushed the boat out. My question, again, is How do you know we didn't? How do you know that we didn't try hard to get Rooney or whoever, and he decided he didn't wan't to come???

Because I don't believe for one second that he wouldn't want to come if the offer was right.

And we would hardly be "pushing the boat" as you put it.

Inverness attract crowds of under 5000 to games.

If this gamble we took doesn't pay off, we'll soon be attracting that many to games.

Hibee Daz
01-02-2011, 12:02 PM

Don't take this the wrong way but what a *****y post.

Everybody wants Hibs to win and to pull ourselves away from the foot of the table.
Where views differ is that some folk aren't confident we will, simply because our defence is ***** and hasn't been strengthened it's as simple as that!

CropleyWasGod
01-02-2011, 12:02 PM
Because I don't believe for one second that he wouldn't want to come if the offer was right.

And we would hardly be "pushing the boat" as you put it.

Inverness attract crowds of under 5000 to games.

If this gamble we took doesn't pay off, we'll soon be attracting that many to games.

Wasn't me that suggested the phrase "pushing the boat out"... I merely paraphrased yours.

"If the offer was right". What would this be? If he is attracting interest from elsewhere, why would he want to come to a club that may be in the First Division next season?

Again, I ask you the question. How do you KNOW we didn't try and sign him?

lEXO
01-02-2011, 12:08 PM
Get a grip FFS.

Who mentioned Torres?

Who,s to say his club were prepared to let him go just now?Did he want to come?There is interest from english and a foreign club.Lets not just presume it was down to us and what we can afford. I think there is a lot of people on here who should get a grip.

Hibby Kay-Yay
01-02-2011, 12:21 PM
With no apology whatsoever to the people who seem to be content with the recent comings and goings at ER

We have brought in a mixture of largely untried inexperience and lower league, low scoring journeymen - and made a tidy profit in the process. They must be so proud of dear old Rod at these accountants functions.

I have probably been what was known as a 'happy clapper' for the last forty odd years, but enough is enough.

With Riordan off in the summer the cupboard is now bare, the family silver has all been sold - yet the board continue to pay themselves a hefty slice of our turnover - and we are deservedly heading for the First Division with no great hope of coming straight back.

what is the positive intent of us getting relegated?

ronaldo7
01-02-2011, 12:30 PM
To be fair the opening poster (John) has not stated at any point that he will not be there tomorrow night.And for what its worth, I think his post holds some real and very recent relevant points.....

GGTTH

And at no point in my post have I suggested it either.

John has suggested we are on our way to the First division, and he's entitled to that opinion, however I think otherwise, hence my post re not waving the white flag.

Hamilton, and St Mirren have been in these dogfights over the years and should be used to it, so it's time for our fans to back the team we now have on the park. They need us now more than they ever did.

If the team/manager/fans take john's position we might as well shut up shop now and go shopping at the week ends.

Proof of the pudding will be what we do from NOW to the end of the season and how many points we've accumulated.

We cannot change what's gone in the past but we sure as hell can affect what happens from here on in.

Green_one
01-02-2011, 12:30 PM
Tomorrow night is the litmus test for the new signings. If we lose and fail again to score, then we are in a position that the next few games are more likely to kill us than favour us.

I am going to be looking very closely at what is put on the park on Wednesday and how they play. Overall though, the key is a win. A loss against the saints followed by similar results against Hamlton and the Saints again will leave us adrift. We will not recover from that.

You can all speculate about the qualty brought in or lack of it but the bottom line is we need a win tomorrow. This reminds me more and more of the George Best season, where nothing could stop the downward spiral.

The_Sauz
01-02-2011, 12:34 PM
But who,s to say they did,nt try to get a better striker or centre half, but they would,nt come.People are presuming that they have just went out and got what they wanted.Nobody does do they?
Was just thinking the same thing!
We had one player turn us down, and he was a guy who could not get a game for his current club...and is a bit of a journey man!
So if we went for better, then I reckon they would have turned us down as well.
I would rather get players in who know we are in a bad way, and are willing to put up a fight to help us rather that getting some player in who just in it for the chance of playing in Europe.

7Hero
01-02-2011, 12:52 PM
Sproule - p/t player and sparky...Not Hibs class
Boozy - French lower league journeyman...Not Hibs Class
Sheils - Not made it at bigger club...Not Hibs Class
Bamba - Ist Div player most never heard of..Not Hibs class
Keith Wright - Skinny first Div player...Not Hibs class

I could go on...but get the point?

At least spare the players / management / board the benefit of your great wisdom until after they have had a couple of months to prove you right......

Or maybe as history has shown NOT

i am happy to give them a chance, always am. I dont get your point though, especially with regards to keith wright, he was a well sought after striker who was prolific and the excitement generatred when he signed for us was immense. We just knew he was gonna score a borel load and promptly did instantly..

Boozy the minute he was on a trial game was hiked after about 5 minutes as the management reckoned he was too good to be true and gave him a contract straight away. Reeks of quality he did ! Hardly mr consistent though and during that class of 2007 i wasn't maoning about our signing policy, nobody was, it was the dismantling of the team that took the piss !

.. Bamba never heard of ? we all knew who he was he dumped us out the cup and was lauded as being a quality player.

Dean shiels, ill give you that he was unheard of..

Sammy7nil
01-02-2011, 12:57 PM
Liverpool reserves, Nottingham Forrest and Celtic - what sort of Lidl do you shop at? Charlton in League 1 are still capable of 20K a week in terms of crowds - maybe we are the Lidl.

We are now after O'Connor, Brown, Thompson, Caldwell, Fletcher, Zemmama, Bamba, Whittiker, Murphy, Stokes and Jones were all allowed to go. There are probably more names we could add.

degenerated
01-02-2011, 12:58 PM
Get a grip FFS.

Who mentioned Torres?

has it never crossed you mind that perhaps Rooney didn't want to come to hibs either just now for a 10% cut of a smallish transfer fee when our place in the top division is hardly secure or indeed even during the summer window when he is out of contract and can pick up a much greater signing on fee - well did it?

khib70
01-02-2011, 01:04 PM
:top marks

You have to wonder just how many people that come on here have some sort of "connection" with the board. :rolleyes:

Yes. That thought occurred to me as well.

FromTheCapital
01-02-2011, 01:06 PM
Hibs will stay up !

We are too good to go down !

GGTTH ! :notworthy: :flag:

John_the_angus_hibby
01-02-2011, 01:07 PM

Excellent post. It may be that Rod would have pushed the boat out further but CC may be confident enough of survival this year to focus on players to develop the squad with next year in mind rather than immediate impact, short term players. I think Sodje is a player with this season in mind, but the rest are all players we would be delighted to get in this window if we were in the top half of the table.

bawheid
01-02-2011, 01:11 PM
Yes. That thought occurred to me as well.

Did it occur to you that the behaviour on each side of the argument is just as bad?

This place is depressing.

Gatecrasher
01-02-2011, 01:12 PM

Admit defeat with 3 months of the season left?

I hope the players and management dont have the same attitude. Theres a long way to go and its not as if we are miles behind, We are infact 2 point off bottom. A few good results in the next 4 games will set us up well. Keep the Faith :aok: