01-02-2011, 12:44 AM
would love that :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Diclonius
01-02-2011, 12:45 AM
He's at Hearts.

hibbysam
01-02-2011, 12:46 AM
He's at Hearts.

No he's not.. just been reported on SSN that he's been released from his contract at rangers and is now a free agent!

Hibbie_Cameron
01-02-2011, 12:47 AM
He's at Hearts.

Is has been released by Rangers tonight and has signed for noone thus far

IWasThere2016
01-02-2011, 12:48 AM
I'd expect him back at the Arabs soon personally.

Diclonius
01-02-2011, 12:50 AM
No he's not.. just been reported on SSN that he's been released from his contract at rangers and is now a free agent!

In that case, he'd be a ****in' awesome signing. Get it sorted, Petrie. :agree:

snooky
01-02-2011, 12:53 AM
Is has been released by Rangers tonight and has signed for noone thus far

..as the new singer with Herman's Hermits? :offski:

Actually, he's exactly what we need at the back especially with young FB's and a young CH.

The auld heid, ex-jambo or not.

sixtwo
01-02-2011, 12:55 AM
I suggested him a few nights ago but was lambasted by a few 'rod lovers' who had more interest in the balance sheet than the team sheet

SmokieJoe
01-02-2011, 12:56 AM
Petrie PLEASEPLEASEPLEASE get him signed now! do us all a favour:agree:

I'm sure we would all like this to happen, but he is an X Yam, and has played for 2 clubs in MORON (yes spelling correct) so i can't see it somehow

SmokieJoe
01-02-2011, 12:58 AM
He is a free agent, lets hope...

sixtwo
01-02-2011, 12:58 AM
I'm sure we would all like this to happen, but he is an X Yam, and has played for 2 clubs in MORON (yes spelling correct) so i can't see it somehow
helped dufc win the scottish cup and come third last year.

He'd definately waken up our defence and help us stave of relegation! Best defender in the league bar bougherra.

SteveHFC
01-02-2011, 01:16 AM
We have made an offer to Webster and are waiting to hear back from him.

http://www.hibeesbounce.com/forum/showthread.php?103920-Andy-Webster&p=1283158#post1283158

smurf
01-02-2011, 01:20 AM
If true I will be delighted. All window I've been saying he should be along with Rooney our top Target.

seanraff07
01-02-2011, 01:30 AM
Ex-Jambo or not Webster would improve our defence hugely, i'd definitely take him.

basehibby
01-02-2011, 01:35 AM
Petrie PLEASEPLEASEPLEASE get him signed now! do us all a favour:agree:

:agree: Has the leadership qualities we badly need - get in there and sign him up quick I say!

Dunbar Hibee
01-02-2011, 02:00 AM
No chance he will come to us. Hearts or United...

sesoim
01-02-2011, 02:12 AM

If Hearts want him, we have little chance. But we could (and should) be able to attract him ahead of Dundee Utd.

Frankly, if we got another £200k for Zemmama, I think Hibs should put all that money towards a short term, four month contract for Webster. That might be a lot for a club like ourselves to pay for such a short contract, but if fit, he would almost certainly improve and organize the defence, and probably save us from relegation in the process.

greenlex
01-02-2011, 02:13 AM

Utd aye. Hearts no. Do you not remember the carry on when he left?
He would need tone a complete moron to go back there.

Dunbar Hibee
01-02-2011, 02:32 AM
Utd aye. Hearts no. Do you not remember the carry on when he left?
He would need tone a complete moron to go back there.

From what I heard he was very keen to go back earlier?

HibbingtonHibs
01-02-2011, 02:45 AM
If Rod cannae make this happen then he deserves to be run out of town pronto. There's no barrier to this one - so no excuses tacho. :confused::confused:

KiddA
01-02-2011, 03:31 AM
Would be a great signing ex jambo or not and could save our season. RP would get a lot of Hibs fans back on his side if he could pull it off.

I don't think that RP will sanction it though and if that is the case we could go down as our defense is rank at the moment.

deeks01
01-02-2011, 03:58 AM
is he not a die-hard jambo? don't get me wrong I'd love us to sign him but imo he'd rather sign for anyone but us and theres bound to be at least one other club interested.

Allant1981
01-02-2011, 04:32 AM
honestly cant see this happening, wages would be the major obstacle i think, he could go back down south and earn 4 times as much as Hibs can pay, whether we like it or not we are never going to be a team that can sign these types of players now, the days of sauzee, latapy etc are long gone

Nando™
01-02-2011, 05:24 AM
If Rod cannae make this happen then he deserves to be run out of town pronto. There's no barrier to this one - so no excuses tacho. :confused::confused:
Aye there is, many of which have been pointed out in this very thread.

PeterboroHibee
01-02-2011, 06:14 AM
If we sign him, we stay up. He was a leader on the pitch for United last season, he held their defence together and walked Kenneth through games. If we get him then this really is a massive signing.

Who cares that he used to play for Hearts, hes a bloody good CB!

givescotlandfreedom
01-02-2011, 06:38 AM
If the board don't grab this one that says it all. I've not really jumped on the anti-Petrie stuff but Webster would make a huge difference and the tache would still make a decent profit this window.

IWasThere2016
01-02-2011, 07:06 AM
Class player and I'll bend his agent's ear later :greengrin

Cannot see him at the Yams - Romanov slagged both player and agent (and parentage IIRC) when he left under freedom of contract.

He's idolised at Tannadice - from Boardroom down so I think he'll go there personally but I'd love him at ER.

We need his leadership and steering us to safety could so it and it would be one up to the Yams :greengrin

A decent offer for 5 months please RP!

NorthNorfolkHFC
01-02-2011, 07:10 AM
would love this, i just can't see it!!!!

head winning over heart right now!!!

givescotlandfreedom
01-02-2011, 07:17 AM
United signed a young defender from Ajax maybe that's their dosh and defensive problem gone.

Brooster
01-02-2011, 07:27 AM
If Hearts want him, we have little chance. But we could (and should) be able to attract him ahead of Dundee Utd.

Frankly, if we got another £200k for Zemmama, I think Hibs should put all that money towards a short term, four month contract for Webster. That might be a lot for a club like ourselves to pay for such a short contract, but if fit, he would almost certainly improve and organize the defence, and probably save us from relegation in the process.

So you think we should pay Andy Webster (who hasnt kicked a ball for 8 months) £14,300 a week? thats a great idea.

YehButNoBut
01-02-2011, 07:28 AM
SSN reporting that Webster is poised for talks with Hearts after being released.

Hibernia Na Eir
01-02-2011, 07:29 AM
Surley worth the cash to keep us up? Yam or not id take him in a flash! Quality player.

EskbankHibby
01-02-2011, 08:14 AM
So you think we should pay Andy Webster (who hasnt kicked a ball for 8 months) £14,300 a week? thats a great idea.

Do you know if he's fit or not mate?

Always rated him as a player, thought he was outstanding for the arabs last year (including the equaliser in a 1-1 draw at ER iirc). I would have thought a fit Webster would get a jersey ahead of Weir or at least good baxck-up on the bench, seems an odd decision just to release him.

basehibby
01-02-2011, 08:18 AM

Not so unreasonable if it keeps us in the SPL. Not so sure it would cost that much though - what makes you pick that figure out of the air???

Brooster
01-02-2011, 08:34 AM
Not so unreasonable if it keeps us in the SPL. Not so sure it would cost that much though - what makes you pick that figure out of the air???

Sesoim suggested that we should give Webster all the Zemmama money (£200k) to sign a four month deal. The season has 14 weeks left which equates to nearly £14,300 a week.

Eskbank Hibby - I dont know if he is physically fit but there is no way he can be match fit. Yes he is a good player when fit and playing regularly but that hasnt been the case very often in the last 4 years. I would be interested to know why Rangers freed him.

lucky
01-02-2011, 08:43 AM
Hibs should not pay Webster £14k a week, Total madness. To suggest it is nuts

Gus
01-02-2011, 08:44 AM
Good player, tool of a guy. would put those feelings to the side if he kept us up

BUT

he will be looking for a longer contract than til the end of the season. He will be mindful of his previous injuries (as will clubs when offering contract)

Think he will have a few clubs after him, wouldnt be shocked if smeltic go for him on a short term contract. Heard from a few Hearts sources who claim to be close to the player saying he's going to hearts, but then again this "source" told me they had no debt as a club

:cool2:

robinp
01-02-2011, 08:46 AM

How about the fact we are sinking quicker than the Titanic.......?

No barrier, you kidding? I presume he will have Dundee Utd and Hearts after him as well, why would he pick a team who are a couple of points above bottom place in the league when Hearts are winning games and all but guarenteed european football next year?

Some people on here are simply deluded!

E10 Rifle
01-02-2011, 08:49 AM
Good player, tool of a guy. would put those feelings to the side if he kept us up

BUT

he will be looking for a longer contract than til the end of the season. He will be mindful of his previous injuries (as will clubs when offering contract)

Think he will have a few clubs after him, wouldnt be shocked if smeltic go for him on a short term contract. Heard from a few Hearts sources who claim to be close to the player saying he's going to hearts, but then again this "source" told me they had no debt as a club

I would reckon a lot of players would be happy with short term contracts in return for guaranteed game time which would then give them options come the summer. So disagree with the need for a long term contract to be offered especially in our current position when Premier League football is not a guarantee for next year.

Gus
01-02-2011, 09:02 AM
I would reckon a lot of players would be happy with short term contracts in return for guaranteed game time which would then give them options come the summer. So disagree with the need for a long term contract to be offered especially in our current position when Premier League football is not a guarantee for next year.

you could be right, but for someone who is proven in this league & he will be thinking about his injuries/age and i think he would be looking for a longer term contract, this imo of webster and not out of contract players in general

Dr Jimmy
01-02-2011, 09:08 AM
The strange thing for me is Rangers letting him go again. He was a good player for DUTD last season and would be a good addition to any team.
Is the step up to the OF really that big?

The Falcon
01-02-2011, 09:10 AM
helped dufc win the scottish cup and come third last year.

He'd definately waken up our defence and help us stave of relegation! Best defender in the league bar bougherra.

Its more possible now that he's had his pay off from Rangers.

The other issue of course is does he want to come here?

The Falcon
01-02-2011, 09:11 AM
The strange thing for me is Rangers letting him go again. He was a good player for DUTD last season and would be a good addition to any team.
Is the step up to the OF really that big?

Yip. And being linked with Bouzid? If true that is? Strange one....

Thourough medical required.

MacBean
01-02-2011, 09:17 AM

£14,300 a week is peanuts in comparison to what we'll lose if we are relegated :agree:

Peevemor
01-02-2011, 09:24 AM
£14,300 a week is peanuts in comparison to what we'll lose if we are relegated :agree:

The Falcon
01-02-2011, 09:32 AM
Surley worth the cash to keep us up? Yam or not id take him in a flash! Quality player.

That would go down well with his team mates., particularly the new guys.

Taz_hibee
01-02-2011, 09:58 AM
Was it not reported last night he has signed for the Jumbo's

DC_Hibs
01-02-2011, 09:59 AM
One guy suggests using Zemmama fee (which nobody knows incidentally) to get Webster which is then broken down to work out at around c14k a week now we have a debate whether we should pay it!!!!!!!

If he has had a pay off from Rangers and providing Hertz dont come in for him then surely 2.5 - 3k a week for the rest of the season would stand us in good stead. Bit of a gamble on Hibs to pay a decent short term wage unless he is ready to step into the first team in a week or two.

Webster did nowt at Wigan or on loan to Bristol City in the championship so wont exactly be fighting off the suitors and other than Hertz there is nobody in Jockland that can compete with what we could* offer.

* if so desired by Rodders as a short term fix.

J-C
01-02-2011, 09:59 AM
I heard the reason he hadn't played at Ibrox was the fact that when Webster played a certain amount of league games rangers were due Wigan a fairly large sum of money, which the bank then said don't play him as we can't afford it. That's why he's only played a handfull of games mostly in the league cup, saying that he's exactly what's needed right now, just look at the difference he made to Dundee U last season.

Hibby Bairn
01-02-2011, 10:12 AM
Hibs should not pay Webster £14k a week, Total madness. To suggest it is nuts

£56,000 a month?....Hibs?........:faf:

HibbingtonHibs
01-02-2011, 10:19 AM
Aye there is, many of which have been pointed out in this very thread.

My point is that if he needs to be paid 20 grand a week to play for us until the end of the season then it is worth every penny and still doesn't cost any more than we brought in during the window.

If this doesn't happen then Petrie needs to have a look at himself. No other option is a cast iron guarantee that we dodge relegation - anything else is a huge gamble.

smurf
01-02-2011, 10:22 AM
The suggestion that we should even contemplate 14K a week is ridiculous.

We should Target him but no more than 14K a month.

soupy
01-02-2011, 10:30 AM
£56,000 a month?....Hibs?........:faf:

Am wi you mate.

HFC 0-7
My point is that if he needs to be paid 20 grand a week to play for us until the end of the season then it is worth every penny and still doesn't cost any more than we brought in during the window.

If this doesn't happen then Petrie needs to have a look at himself. No other option is a cast iron guarantee that we dodge relegation - anything else is a huge gamble.

And when it comes to the end of other players contracts that Calderwood wants to keep they will be demanding 20 grand as well, then what will we do? Up the wages slightly but not pay them probably 4 times our current top earner.

SMAXXA
Never ceases to amaze me the stuff some folk say, my mate emailed me just now saying Websters at EM this morning for talks :faf:, heared it from a player. Unbileivalbe some drivel you hear!

Incidently he would be a great signing for us but he will end up at the **** or UTD IMO.

blackpoolhibs
01-02-2011, 10:31 AM
The suggestion that we should even contemplate 14K a week is ridiculous.

We should Target him but no more than 14K a month.

:agree: He would make a good signing, and if he goes to Dundee Utd, it would go against what i thought on our ability to pay more than the arabs.

He's the type of player we desperately need. Someone to build a defence around, i wont hold my breath though?

M11BMO
01-02-2011, 10:33 AM
He'll sign for the Yam's again.

HibbingtonHibs
01-02-2011, 10:35 AM
:agree: He would make a good signing, and if he goes to Dundee Utd, it would go against what i thought on our ability to pay more than the arabs.

He's the type of player we desperately need. Someone to build a defence around, i wont hold my breath though?

I don't think he'll go to the Arabs. They won;t be able to afford him either.

I also don't think we could do anything to keep him long term. My guess is that we could pay him 10k per week until the end of season and a big bonus on top of that for keeping us up, with good bonuses for the rest of the team for turning a new page and getting us out of this mess.

Petrie needs sectioned if he thinks we are not in a complete state of crisis here. If we get relegated it could be 3 years before we get a chance to come back up.

bingo70
01-02-2011, 10:37 AM
Sorry, i know this will have been covered earlier on the boards but i'm too lazy to read through all the threads but what happened with his move to hearts? Did it turn out to be a lot of rubbish? was he only going to go as a replacement if they sold someone? Could it still be happening?

I'm just wondering if it came to us against Utd if he still holds some bitterness towards hearts over the way he was treated when he left he might be quite up for joining us?

The idea we should pay him up to £14k p/week is bonkers simply because we wouldn't need to, pressumably he'll have been given a pay off by the huns for the last 6 months of his contract so i'd think a deal to the end of the season on a normal affordable salary could be enough to get him.

blackpoolhibs
01-02-2011, 10:38 AM

I also don't think we could do anything to keep him long term. My guess is that we could pay him 10k per week until the end of season and a big bonus on top of that for keeping us up, with good bonuses for the rest of the team for turning a new page and getting us out of this mess.

Petrie needs sectioned if he thinks we are not in a complete state of crisis here. If we get relegated it could be 3 years before we get a chance to come back up.

My guess is we wont? :greengrin

JimBHibees
01-02-2011, 10:38 AM

He is a good player however very injury prone, not sure he would want to sign for Hibs given his Hearts past. I thought Utd were skint so I think Hibs would be able to offer more though he may have a preference for which club he wants to go to e.g his family may be based nearer Dundee.

PaulSmith
01-02-2011, 10:46 AM
Never ceases to amaze me the stuff some folk say, my mate emailed me just now saying Websters at EM this morning for talks :faf:, heared it from a player. Unbileivalbe some drivel you hear!

Incidently he would be a great signing for us but he will end up at the **** or UTD IMO.

Ye have little faith.

easty
01-02-2011, 10:49 AM

You can't pay Webster £10k a week and expect the rest of the squad to be ok with that, not want some kind of parity/wage increase. It would also see any future signings expecting similar high wages.

Hibernia Na Eir
01-02-2011, 10:49 AM
Was it not reported last night he has signed for the Jumbo's

back page of Daily ****** suggests he has...

SMAXXA
01-02-2011, 10:50 AM
Ye have little faith.

I would love to be proved wrong my friend :greengrin

Aldo
01-02-2011, 10:50 AM
Sorry but wont happy IMHO. Regardless of his Yams past

1. We cannot afford him
2. He will resign for them

That will be that.

Would be an excellent signing if it was to happen.

Littlest Hobo
01-02-2011, 11:01 AM
Question-how can Hearts afford to pay anyone 10,000 a week when they are 30 odd million in debt and might need to leave their stadium because of this?

The system at the moment really stinks of double standards in my opinion, clubs are going to the wall in Scotland on a weekly basis almost and yet that lot are being credited for challenging the O.F on the tic.

Clubs should be deducted points if they go into the red, end of.

Clubs should be encouraged to do business properly to preserve them for years to come for future generations.
this is not the case at the minute and it's killing football as we know it.

Average players earning scary ammounts of cash, I'm all for players earning a decent wage but come on why should they earn the money they do? They chose to be footballers knowing it's a short career, why not go to business school or summit in all that spare time they have off? Just look nat some of the ex players from the past who never made the bucks, didn't do any of them any harm.
The game stinks of greed at the minute and the working man has been forgotten about....sad days indeed!

blackpoolhibs
01-02-2011, 11:19 AM
You can't pay Webster £10k a week and expect the rest of the squad to be ok with that, not want some kind of parity/wage increase. It would also see any future signings expecting similar high wages.

I never understand this argument? Are we a club who pay a blanket wage, one that gives each player the same money, regardless of ability?

The answer is obviously no, and those players on less money have to prove they deserve more, or piss off somewhere else if the want it right?

I don't see the problem on players earning more than others at the same club, although i do agree we cant afford 10k a week, so whats the amount that players get more than others, that those earning less start to get annoyed?:confused:

bingo70
01-02-2011, 11:26 AM
I never understand this argument? Are we a club who pay a blanket wage, one that gives each player the same money, regardless of ability?

The answer is obviously no, and those players on less money have to prove they deserve more, or piss off somewhere else if the want it right?

I don't see the problem on players earning more than others at the same club, although i do agree we cant afford 10k a week, so whats the amount that players get more than others, that those earning less start to get annoyed?:confused:

I agree that there's always going to be varying salaries at clubs so don't really see the problem if one player is earning more than another.

However i think problems could arise if you got to an extreme and pay one player a wage thats way out of sync with the rest of the squad, if for example we paid webster £7k p/week (a much more realistic yet high wage, £10-£14k is just nonsense talk), riordans contract is up in the summer i think he could argue he's contributed as much as webster would throughout his time at hibs.

Basically by paying over the odds for one player it could set a dangerous precident for future negotiations as soon as a player hits a bit form.

easty
01-02-2011, 11:33 AM

I'd never say that the best players shouldnt be paid the most. It's got to be proportionate though.

Say we had Webster on £10k a week, then Hanlon plays outstanding alongside him for the next 18 months. So much so that Hanlon was deemed the better of the two, he'd want £10k a week as well. Then Deek decides that he deserves that much money per week as well, as he's scored loads for us. It's a slippery slope to start down on if we want to keep a realistic wage budget for the club.

truehibernian
01-02-2011, 11:33 AM
I am 100% sure that most of the Hearts support would be scratching their head as to why one minute they would not budge from their bid for Bryson, yet spend more on wages and overall salary for a player who has already split the support down the middle with his "behaviour" prior to leaving.

Good player, not necessarily needed I have to say as Hearts are pretty solid at the back, minus a few Bouzid mishaps along the way. Would be a strange signing for a whole host of reasons IMHO. Unless of course their aim is to cash in on Wallace, Jonsson and Zaliukas in summer and get cover in now.

blackpoolhibs
01-02-2011, 11:38 AM
I agree that there's always going to be varying salaries at clubs so don't really see the problem if one player is earning more than another.

However i think problems could arise if you got to an extreme and pay one player a wage thats way out of sync with the rest of the squad, if for example we paid webster £7k p/week (a much more realistic yet high wage, £10-£14k is just nonsense talk), riordans contract is up in the summer i think he could argue he's contributed as much as webster would throughout his time at hibs.

Basically by paying over the odds for one player it could set a dangerous precident for future negotiations as soon as a player hits a bit form.

I just don't see it, if players hit better form, it will be rewarded, either by a rise in wage, or a transfer. I remember when i was playing and £40 was my wage. The club brought in some new investors, and suddenly I'm playing up front with a guy on £350 a week. He was bloody good though, :wink:

I never for one minute though i should be on the same, i could see with my own eyes how much better he was than me. In fact i was moved on the next season, and never had the chance to ask for any more money. :wink: I went to another side, and my wage was £30 a game, if i was any better, surely i'd have got more?

Good players cost more money, good players get more money, players these days have agents, and the agent will try and get them the best offer they can. They will also tell them if by moving they might be on less, sometimes its best to keep your mouth shut as a player, you might find you are better off.

And by getting these better players at the club, they might even get more win bonuses, and perhaps win something?

Pretty Boy
01-02-2011, 11:40 AM
My understanding from a source at Dundee Utd (personal friend on the playing staff) is that Webster is attracting interest from several clubs including Hibs, Hertz and United. He wanted out of his huns contract to give him a bit more time to assess his options rather than having to decide last night.

His preffered option is to return to United because he has a good relationship with players and coaching staff there but he will meet Hibs (today or tommorow) and has met Hertz already and probably will do again. We are definitely interested though and have made contact so heres hoping.

bingo70
01-02-2011, 11:45 AM
I just don't see it, if players hit better form, it will be rewarded, either by a rise in wage, or a transfer. I remember when i was playing and £40 was my wage. The club brought in some new investors, and suddenly I'm playing up front with a guy on £350 a week. He was bloody good though, :wink:

I never for one minute though i should be on the same, i could see with my own eyes how much better he was than me. In fact i was moved on the next season, and never had the chance to ask for any more money. :wink: I went to another side, and my wage was £30 a game, if i was any better, surely i'd have got more?

Good players cost more money, good players get more money, players these days have agents, and the agent will try and get them the best offer they can. They will also tell them if by moving they might be on less, sometimes its best to keep your mouth shut as a player, you might find you are better off.

And by getting these better players at the club, they might even get more win bonuses, and perhaps win something?

You hardly sound the ideal guy to be listening to about contract negotiations then :greengrin

Seriously though, i know what you mean i just agree with what Easty is saying ealrier on as well, of course we could just tell the players to bolt but i think it's dangerous road to go down to pay a massive amount more to one player than to others.

Different if your talking about a few hundred quid a week but when your talking thousands more like whats being suggested i'd be wary of doing it as it could have longer term implacations.

cabbageandribs1875
01-02-2011, 11:50 AM
My understanding from a source at Dundee Utd (personal friend on the playing staff) is that Webster is attracting interest from several clubs including Hibs, Hertz and United. He wanted out of his huns contract to give him a bit more time to assess his options rather than having to decide last night.

would it really be as easy as this ?

webster 'right listen up, i'm wanting out of my contract'

buns chairman 'aye ok andy np's, just tear up that copy of your contract and we'el say no more about it'

he would be on a hefty wage at the buns so is it feasable that he could have 'bought out' his contract with them ? or is there more to his constant injury(s) ? and as for the 'add-ons' to wigan theory(from another poster), add-ons dont come in to force after just a handful of first team appearances surely :confused:

Diclonius
01-02-2011, 11:54 AM
I am 100% sure that most of the Hearts support would be scratching their head as to why one minute they would not budge from their bid for Bryson, yet spend more on wages and overall salary for a player who has already split the support down the middle with his "behaviour" prior to leaving

Given their current situation, selling clubs will demand that Hearts pay their transfer fees up front, which they won't do.

In the case of contracts, there's plenty of time for the money to "go missing" or not be paid as a result of a "glitch".

ELZ1875
01-02-2011, 11:54 AM
Do some people genuinely believe we pay a flat wage?

Kaiser1962
01-02-2011, 11:55 AM
This is obviously a total piece of piss why arent all the other clubs operating this model :rolleyes:

Pretty Boy
01-02-2011, 11:55 AM
would it really be as easy as this ?

webster 'right listen up, i'm wanting out of my contract'

buns chairman 'aye ok andy np's, just tear up that copy of your contract and we'el say no more about it'

he would be on a hefty wage at the buns so is it feasable that he could have 'bought out' his contract with them ? or is there more to his constant injury(s) ? and as for the 'add-ons' to wigan theory(from another poster), add-ons dont come in to force after just a handful of first team appearances surely :confused:

No idea.

Apparently they tried to swap him for Conway but United rejected this.

Given the financial problems at Rangers may have been a case of getting a player not in the 1st team plans off the wage bill especially since they have brought in a young defender from Arsenal.

darwenhibby
01-02-2011, 11:57 AM

Hey Jimmy you nearly broke your cover there.
I canny understand why ET signed Harper when you and Alan Gordon were brilliant up front.

Didn't realise you went to StJ for only £30 pw.

Still you showed class by no asking for the wage rise.:not worth

Just the honour of playing for the Hibs

Shrekko
01-02-2011, 12:01 PM

Ddint realise you were an ex-pro BH!

Building up a picture of a kind of a kind of poor man's Colin Nish there though... :greengrin

easty
01-02-2011, 12:01 PM

I wouldn't say you were wrong. But, footballs changed since your day (goallie can't even pick up a back pass anymore...:wink:). Footballs a lot more of a business now, for a lot of players it seems to be 'make as much as you can before you have to retire'.

In my opinion, the players don't look like they give a sh*t enough right now. If we're still doing sh*t when we've got a defender being paid £10k a week then would we end up with other players thinking "He's playing just as bad as me but getting paid 5 times as much, ***** this". I know it shouldn't be like that, but I wouldn't rule out the possibility.

Nando™
01-02-2011, 12:02 PM
Question-how can Hearts afford to pay anyone 10,000 a week when they are 30 odd million in debt and might need to leave their stadium because of this?

The system at the moment really stinks of double standards in my opinion, clubs are going to the wall in Scotland on a weekly basis almost and yet that lot are being credited for challenging the O.F on the tic.

Clubs should be deducted points if they go into the red, end of.

Clubs should be encouraged to do business properly to preserve them for years to come for future generations.
this is not the case at the minute and it's killing football as we know it.

Average players earning scary ammounts of cash, I'm all for players earning a decent wage but come on why should they earn the money they do? They chose to be footballers knowing it's a short career, why not go to business school or summit in all that spare time they have off? Just look nat some of the ex players from the past who never made the bucks, didn't do any of them any harm.
The game stinks of greed at the minute and the working man has been forgotten about....sad days indeed!
I agree, people like Romanov and the guy that owns Manchester City are turning football into a joke.

Fair enough, saving Hearts from having to sell Tynecastle was a good thing for Scottish Football, every club deserves a second chance to get it right (even though I wanted it sold and levelled for the amusement of Hibs). But he came in and spent money that they simply do not deserve to be spending and every single thing they have accomplished since then has not been deserved. The sooner FIFA impose punishments for clubs spending outwith their means the better.

Niffy

Building up a picture of a kind of a kind of poor man's Colin Nish there though... :greengrin

He must be Pat McGinlay.

easty
Do some people genuinely believe we pay a flat wage?

No. Nobody has said that. We do, though, have a wage structure which would be broken to bring in Webster at the sums mentioned.

blackpoolhibs
01-02-2011, 12:06 PM
You hardly sound the ideal guy to be listening to about contract negotiations then :greengrin
:greengrin I was never getting any better, and 2 cruciate operations later, i knew there was only one way i was going. :boo hoo:
Seriously though, i know what you mean i just agree with what Easty is saying ealrier on as well, of course we could just tell the players to bolt but i think it's dangerous road to go down to pay a massive amount more to one player than to others.
I agree to an extent, i just wonder what the limit is before the other players get upset?
Different if your talking about a few hundred quid a week but when your talking thousands more like whats being suggested i'd be wary of doing it as it could have longer term implacations.

Perhaps, although the same thing does happen now just with lower figures. Riordan is seeing out his contract, Bamba was, so was Zemamma. I do feel the club should be paying more for a couple of leaders like Hearts did with McPherson and Pressley, these types get paid more, and rightly so. The sheite need a kick up their erse, and those types were just the people to do that.

Spike Mandela
01-02-2011, 12:08 PM
Just what we need at the back. Hope we can do a deal.

Danderhall Hibs
01-02-2011, 12:11 PM
No. Nobody has said that. We do, though, have a wage structure which would be broken to bring in Webster at the sums mentioned.

I thought the manager had a wage budget and he could spend it how he liked, e.g. budget of £50k per week, he could spend £25k per week on one player and pay the other 25 players £1k per week. So not a wage cap or wage structure but a budget to be distributed as the manager sees fit.

blackpoolhibs
01-02-2011, 12:12 PM
Hey Jimmy you nearly broke your cover there.
I canny understand why ET signed Harper when you and Alan Gordon were brilliant up front.

Didn't realise you went to StJ for only £30 pw.

Still you showed class by no asking for the wage rise.:not worth

Just the honour of playing for the Hibs

:greengrin I wish Duane, Billy says he might be going tomorrow, 2pm is a bit early for him if he can make it. He will let me know today sometime. Shall we meet at Lancaster around 3pm?

easty
01-02-2011, 12:15 PM
I thought the manager had a wage budget and he could spend it how he liked, e.g. budget of £50k per week, he could spend £25k per week on one player and pay the other 25 players £1k per week. So not a wage cap or wage structure but a budget to be distributed as the manager sees fit.

Maybe, but I'd be surprised if it's like that. It's real life not Football Manager on the pc...:wink:

blackpoolhibs
01-02-2011, 12:16 PM

Semi pro,:wink: you dont have to be very good to pick up a wage in England, even the lower leagues are awash with silly money. The rymans league as it was known a few years ago, some clubs were paying daft money in the 80s. Always in a wee brown envelope. :wink:

Hibee87
01-02-2011, 12:19 PM
I agree, people like Romanov and the guy that owns Manchester City are turning football into a joke.

Fair enough, saving Hearts from having to sell Tynecastle was a good thing for Scottish Football, every club deserves a second chance to get it right (even though I wanted it sold and levelled for the amusement of Hibs). But he came in and spent money that they simply do not deserve to be spending and every single thing they have accomplished since then has not been deserved. The sooner FIFA impose punishments for clubs spending outwith their means the better.

Exactly clubs should not be spending outwith there means simples. you only have to look at chelsea made a 70 million pound loss in the last year yet still spend 75 million on 2 players money men are ruining football for everyone and at some point or another some major teams are going to go to the wall me thinks.

BigKev
01-02-2011, 12:20 PM
Interesting quotes from CC at the bottom of this (http://www.sportinglife.com/football/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=soccer/11/02/01/SOCCER_Hearts_Webster.html) page.

Shrekko
01-02-2011, 12:23 PM
Semi pro,:wink: you dont have to be very good to pick up a wage in England, even the lower leagues are awash with silly money. The rymans league as it was known a few years ago, some clubs were paying daft money in the 80s. Always in a wee brown envelope. :wink:

Did your strike partner who was 9 times better than you go on to greater things?

Billychaotic182
01-02-2011, 12:26 PM
Interesting quotes from CC at the bottom of this (http://www.sportinglife.com/football/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=soccer/11/02/01/SOCCER_Hearts_Webster.html) page.

If you see how open JJ is about signing Webster then you have maybe we will maybe we wont from CC it just makes me feel like he is going there.

blackpoolhibs
01-02-2011, 12:27 PM
Did your strike partner who was 9 times better than you go on to greater things?

No, he was still part time, and iirc had a job as a full time physical education teacher. I forget his name now, and its driving me mad trying to remember it???????????????????????????????????????????????? ????????????????????

hibeeleicester
01-02-2011, 12:28 PM

:agree: I get paid for 2 nights a week training and a game. U18 level aswell.

Dr Jimmy
01-02-2011, 12:29 PM
If you see how open JJ is about signing Webster then you have they maybe we are maybe were not from CC it just makes me feel like he is going there.

Just WOW!

Hibby Kay-Yay
01-02-2011, 12:32 PM
Just WOW!

:faf:

Billychaotic182
01-02-2011, 12:33 PM
Just WOW!

hahaha shh am just up lol.

better?

Dr Jimmy
01-02-2011, 12:36 PM
hahaha shh am just up lol.

better?

The edit spoils it....:greengrin

Hibee87
01-02-2011, 12:37 PM

Interesting indeed Kev,

Lets get our Hercule Poirot moustaches on. Can anyone come up with a list of players who are without a club in britain, mainly the ones released in january then we can try and see what realistic players CC might be playing in a closed doors game :nerd:

hibeeleicester
01-02-2011, 12:39 PM
David beckham anyone?

EskbankHibby
01-02-2011, 12:41 PM
No, he was still part time, and iirc had a job as a full time physical education teacher. I forget his name now, and its driving me mad trying to remember it???????????????????????????????????????????????? ????????????????????

Nade?

Pedantic_Hibee
01-02-2011, 12:47 PM
Nade?

Nade, teaching physical education?

What next, Tim Henman releasing a book titled 'How To Win A Major'?

Rod Petrie gambling his savings in Las Vegas on the black?

Gerard
01-02-2011, 12:53 PM
I suggested him a few nights ago but was lambasted by a few 'rod lovers' who had more interest in the balance sheet than the team sheet

I am a 'balance sheet lover':wink:
If we are relegated the Balance sheet will be sh44t:wink:
If CC wants the player and his salary is affordable then try and sign him Mr Petrie :wink::not worth
Gerard

Danderhall Hibs
01-02-2011, 12:53 PM
Maybe, but I'd be surprised if it's like that. It's real life not Football Manager on the pc...:wink:

In real life managers get a budget to spend. :agree:

Seveno
01-02-2011, 01:02 PM
Pay him good money but on an Appearance basis and with a hefty bonus if we stay up.

SouthMoroccoStu
01-02-2011, 01:08 PM
Pay him good money but on an Appearance basis and with a hefty bonus if we stay up.

Good shout :top marks

007 Mickey Weir
01-02-2011, 01:20 PM
Surely We could offer him something Like £4/5k a week. A healthy signing on fee, and a big bonus if we stay up. a contract until end of season. Puts him in the shop window. With the option to sign a longer deal with us in summer if he wants.

IWasThere2016
01-02-2011, 01:21 PM

His preffered option is to return to United because he has a good relationship with players and coaching staff there but he will meet Hibs (today or tommorow) and has met Hertz already and probably will do again. We are definitely interested though and have made contact so heres hoping.

Spot on.

Pedantic_Hibee
01-02-2011, 01:22 PM
Spot on.

You're the source, eh? :wink:

Baader
01-02-2011, 01:28 PM
Just the sort of player we need. Would be a fantastic signing. Can see him going to Utd though.

easty
01-02-2011, 01:36 PM
Just the sort of player we need. Would be a fantastic signing. Can see him going to Utd though.

I think he'll end up at the yams.

Andy74
01-02-2011, 01:38 PM
These are the times when the Hearts debt thing gets into seriously dodgy competition territory.

You can say it is up to them how they go about piling up debt but ultimately they are stopping others from being able to play in a natural level. Some clubs can afford to pay more than others, that'll always be the case but it should be relative to your income.

I could understand him going to Utd though if they can afford him.

JimBHibees
01-02-2011, 01:44 PM
I think he'll end up at the yams.

I would be amazed if he did in respect of how it ended the last time. While Jeffries will be able to sell Hearts well the fact Mad Vlad is still there and alot of their fans will have misgivings about him will IMO make him go elsewhere. For what it is worth I think Hibs for a short term contract given our situation and the fact we will likely give him an attractive deal due to our league position would IMO appear to be a decent bet.

1) He wont go to Hearts even though they will offer more
2) He might be tempted to go back to Utd due to his success there last time but they will offer less than Hibs and much less than Hearts
3) A short term contract may be tempting due to the fact we will likely pay him more than normal and he can then decide again at end of season.

Baader
01-02-2011, 01:47 PM
These are the times when the Hearts debt thing gets into seriously dodgy competition territory.

You can say it is up to them how they go about piling up debt but ultimately they are stopping others from being able to play in a natural level. Some clubs can afford to pay more than others, that'll always be the case but it should be relative to your income.

I could understand him going to Utd though if they can afford him.

Yeah. Where is the incentive in trying to run a club well, when rivals can rack up the debt and then increase it in order to sign a player who is in demand? It really needs to change.

I wonder if Webster's previous dealings with Vlad will be enough to put him off a return there?

Hibee87
01-02-2011, 01:52 PM
Yeah. Where is the incentive in trying to run a club well, when rivals can rack up the debt and then increase it in order to sign a player who is in demand? It really needs to change.

I wonder if Webster's previous dealings with Vlad will be enough to put him off a return there?

would vlad even sanction a move for him? thats the question.
he is hated by them and he knows it, i think dundee utd are probibly the team he will settle for. He will listen to hibs and see what they have to say but i think it would need to be somthign special to convinve him to stay with us

RickyS
01-02-2011, 01:59 PM
would vlad even sanction a move for him? thats the question.
he is hated by them and he knows it, i think dundee utd are probibly the team he will settle for. He will listen to hibs and see what they have to say but i think it would need to be somthign special to convinve him to stay with us

think it will be Dundee Utd unfortunately he has history there and good memories and a manager he knows well. we have a manager he knows nowt about, are currently one of the worst teams in the league. I think Utd will push the boat out and pay him what he wants. I am praying that Utd simply dont have the budget for it

SouthMoroccoStu
01-02-2011, 02:07 PM
Any further forward on a deal for this?

Petrie's Tache
01-02-2011, 02:08 PM
It is up to CC to bring him in by selling his vision of where he sees us going. :agree:

Male him captain and stick him next to Hanlon.

Dr Jimmy
01-02-2011, 02:09 PM
think it will be Dundee Utd unfortunately he has history there and good memories and a manager he knows well. we have a manager he knows nowt about, are currently one of the worst teams in the league. I think Utd will push the boat out and pay him what he wants. I am praying that Utd simply dont have the budget for it

I would be surprised if Utd can afford him, especially as the haven't sold Goodwillie or anyone else. Think they are in a mess financially.
Re Hearts, I am just hoping Romanov makes him apologise or admit his previous actions were wrong (ala Hartley) and Webster tells him to do one.

YehButNoBut
01-02-2011, 02:12 PM
From BBC site

Hearts manager Jim Jefferies hopes defender Andy Webster will reject a move to England in favour of a return to Tynecastle. Webster - who played for Hearts for a five-year spell until 2006 - is a free agent after being released by Scottish Premier League rivals Rangers.
"We plan to have a discussion with him this afternoon," said Jefferies.
"Two or three clubs have been chasing him. He's had offers from clubs in Scotland and England."
Jefferies added: "We've thrown our hat into the ring. We noted our interest when we heard he was going to be available on loan.
"We'll wait and see what happens."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/h/heart_of_midlothian/9383504.stm

Diclonius
01-02-2011, 02:13 PM
I would be surprised if Utd can afford him, especially as the haven't sold Goodwillie or anyone else. Think they are in a mess financially.
Re Hearts, I am just hoping Romanov makes him apologise or admit his previous actions were wrong (ala Hartley) and Webster tells him to do one.

Romanov was happy to play hardball when only Aberdeen were interested in Hartley, but if we're Webster's second choice I reckon Vlad'll be far more in favour of abandoning his principles.

db03
01-02-2011, 02:17 PM
Just been on real radio he is holding talks with us now

SouthMoroccoStu
01-02-2011, 02:20 PM

Yipee!!!!!!!!!! :deal:

HibeeMcGinn1
01-02-2011, 02:29 PM

Seriously?

down-the-slope
01-02-2011, 02:30 PM
If we sign him, we stay up. He was a leader on the pitch for United last season, he held their defence together and walked Kenneth through games. If we get him then this really is a massive signing.

Who cares that he used to play for Hearts, hes a bloody good CB!

Its amazing the paranormal talents on . Net :faf:

Dr Jimmy
01-02-2011, 02:30 PM
Romanov was happy to play hardball when only Aberdeen were interested in Hartley, but if we're Webster's second choice I reckon Vlad'll be far more in favour of abandoning principles.

There's two words you won't see in the same sentence very often.

Monts
01-02-2011, 02:32 PM

Pretty sure he will talk to every team that is interested in him.

down-the-slope
01-02-2011, 02:33 PM

Is that before or after he speaks to Hearts and other clubs......:confused:

bingo70
01-02-2011, 02:34 PM
Seriously?

Wouldn't get too excited, i imagine he'll be speaking to all clubs that have registered an interest in him.

FJK said they were having talks with him this morning

PatHead
01-02-2011, 02:35 PM
Talks will end quickly when Rod offers him half what anyone else offers.

happiehibbie
01-02-2011, 02:36 PM
mark benstead on twitter says Webster at ER spoke a good friend at Hertz says that Webster did the dirty on them when he bought himself out off his contract went to rangers Via Wigan he days he will have to grovel to vald also no chance of 10k a week high earners with win bonua 18oo euros a week !!!!

RickyS
01-02-2011, 02:37 PM
Seriously?

radio scotland says he is at Riccarton! on the 2pm news

bingo70
01-02-2011, 02:37 PM
mark benstead on twitter says Webster at ER spoke a good friend at Hertz says that Webster did the dirty on them when he bought himself out off his contract went to rangers Via Wigan he days he will have to grovel to vald also no chance of 10k a week high earners with win bonua 18oo euros a week !!!!

Who's mark benstead?

SouthMoroccoStu
01-02-2011, 02:38 PM
I HATE THIS :grr:

Hibee87
01-02-2011, 02:40 PM
Who's mark benstead?

Is he nto some ex player who works for real radio :confused:

happiehibbie
01-02-2011, 02:41 PM
Mark is the sports reporter from real radio

Sir David Gray
01-02-2011, 02:41 PM
Who's mark benstead?

He's one of Real Radio's football pundits.

He does the phone-in with Alan Rough, now that Ewen Cameron has moved to the morning show.

sesoim
01-02-2011, 02:43 PM

If you want to be sarcastic about it, then why don't I suggest we sit and do nothing and hope the central defence gets better by itself? Or maybe we could sign an unknown centre back from an unknown league and hope he might be a decent player.

The reason I suggested putting all £200,000k, if needs be, towards signing Webster (wages, signing on fee, bonuses, insurance, etc) is that I know if we go for him Hearts will get in there with a good offer. We need to push the boat out for a good, proven CB if we are going to stay up.

Westie1875
01-02-2011, 02:45 PM
Depends what his priorities are, at Hibs he'd pretty much be guaranteed a game every week. Not necessarily the same at Hearts.

Bristolhibby
01-02-2011, 02:46 PM

As would I.

Can anyone remember the situation when he left them? I know it was very messy and I have a feeling that there is muchos bad blood between him and the Mad senior rate.

However Vlad has shown true classless in the past and it would not be unheard of for him to want Webster back just to screw our chances.

J

happiehibbie
01-02-2011, 02:46 PM
I agree we need to get in a player with a pedigree .... I would offer him a huge bonus if we stay up ...I think thats the way o get the team back on side

Judas Iscariot
01-02-2011, 02:47 PM
It is Andy Webster folk are getting all flustered about and not Fabio Cannavaro?

:rolleyes:

lapsedhibee
01-02-2011, 02:47 PM
The reason I suggested putting all £200,000k, if needs be, towards signing Webster (wages, signing on fee, bonuses, insurance, etc) is that I know if we go for him Hearts will get in there with a good offer.

This strategy I like. Artificially increase the amount that Webster will eventually cost Hearts, thereby dropping them in the brown stuff financially. Their fans will surely be livid if they end up overspending on a player! :wink:

sesoim
01-02-2011, 02:48 PM

:agree: We had a wagecap a few years ago, now the manager, as you say, can do anything he wants within the wage budget he is given.

sesoim
01-02-2011, 02:49 PM
This strategy I like. Artificially increase the amount that Webster will eventually cost Hearts, thereby dropping them in the brown stuff financially. Their fans will surely be livid if they end up overspending on a player! :wink:

That would be a nice consolation.:wink:

truehibernian
01-02-2011, 02:50 PM
Depends what his priorities are, at Hibs he'd pretty much be guaranteed a game every week. Not necessarily the same at Hearts.

I would say Webster would be first pick at the expence of Bouzid. Jeffries doesn't rate him, basically blamed him for some recent goals conceded, and is unhappy at Bouzid's agent touting him away from the club.

I would be delighted to get Webster at Hibs. Perfect captain and leader material at the back, a player who the likes of Booth and Towell could only improve playing alongside. Dundee Utd's record with him in the side says it all. Can't see it happening, but would be a real lift.

lapsedhibee
01-02-2011, 02:52 PM
I agree we need to get in a player with a pedigree

If we've exhausted the budget for humans and are now talking canine solutions, I nominate getting Ross Chisholm back in. (Pointer.)

Sir David Gray
01-02-2011, 02:53 PM
As would I.

Can anyone remember the situation when he left them? I know it was very messy and I have a feeling that there is muchos bad blood between him and the Mad senior rate.

However Vlad has shown true classless in the past and it would not be unheard of for him to want Webster back just to screw our chances.

J

He was the first player to invoke a new FIFA rule which allowed him to leave 3 years into a 4 year deal, but he had to go to a club in another country. He went to Wigan in the January and then in May, he was loaned to Rangers.

Hearts claimed that he couldn't go to another Scottish club within 12 months of leaving Hearts but FIFA ruled that he could go on loan to Rangers and the SFA confirmed this to be the case.

steviehibsleith
01-02-2011, 02:56 PM
Think Webster did a great job at United and could help out Hanlon at center half position. Injuries are a worry though so RP should offer a big wage on the Pay as you Play basis - what Wilkie was on at Dundee Utd. £10000 a week if he plays and helps shore up defence Zip if is hammy is playing up.
As hes out of contract think we could make him this offer but I think he will want a deal weather he plays or not.

bingo70
01-02-2011, 02:57 PM
It is Andy Webster folk are getting all flustered about and not Fabio Cannavaro?

:agree:

He's a good player but folk are no half getting carried away, i'd like to sign him but my concern is it's another Rooney scenario where everyone is making such a hoo-ha about getting this guy if we miss out on him (which we probably will) then no-body else will be welcomed as the toys will be well and truly out the pram again.

I'd hate for us to smash the wage bill like some are suggesting for a no-nonsense centre half, if we were to go down this route i'd want to do it for someone better than Andy Webster and preferrably for someone that'd have a sell on value in a few years.

steviecarnie
01-02-2011, 02:57 PM
:agree: We had a wagecap a few years ago, now the manager, as you say, can do anything he wants within the wage budget he is given.

do u think we have a high enough balance remaining?

down-the-slope
01-02-2011, 03:00 PM
Depends on Websters priorities...Vlad would want to get back the cash and face he lost (IF he was prepared to back track) and would be looking at a deal that entitled Vlad to sell his childen in the future...

We on the other hand might consider a deal to end of season that gets him playing and back in the shop window....with him still effectively a free agaent in the summer.

Webster for Bamba....would take that any day of the week

Billychaotic182
01-02-2011, 03:04 PM
Come on Andy you know it would be the best way to stick it right up the jambos who wronged you lol

GreenPJ
01-02-2011, 03:08 PM
When was the last time Webster played? Is he currently injured?

yekimevol
01-02-2011, 03:18 PM
rod we have been looking for a leader on the pitch (someone like stewart pearce), someone who will battle for the win and will not tolerate players giving half assed performaces !!!

this is the closest we will get ti that type of player !!

so get him signed up now !!!

Sir David Gray
01-02-2011, 03:23 PM
When was the last time Webster played? Is he currently injured?

He played just over two weeks ago in Rangers' game against Inverness, although that was his first appearance in the SPL for 8 months.

I don't think he's injured.

The_Sauz
01-02-2011, 03:24 PM
Strange that every time he is back at Rangers, he's out injured, yet played near enough all the games for Utd during his loan spell!!:agree:

Andy74
01-02-2011, 03:24 PM
Just lock the office door and refuse to let him out until he signs. A bit of mild torture might also do the trick. Desperate times and all that.

Greenblood70
01-02-2011, 03:26 PM
Just lock the office door and refuse to let him out until he signs. A bit of mild torture might also do the trick. Desperate times and all that.

Make him watch full 90 mins of our last few games??:greengrin

Purehibee_MYB
01-02-2011, 03:27 PM

Dunk his head in water, and crocodile clips on the nipples too...

For the sake of the club!

JimBHibees
01-02-2011, 03:28 PM
Make him watch full 90 mins of our last few games??:greengrin

Both Ayr Utd games should do the trick. :greengrin

SouthMoroccoStu
01-02-2011, 03:29 PM

:top marks

Pedantic_Hibee
01-02-2011, 03:29 PM
According to Calderwood, we could break the club transfer record if we wanted to so it would appear, unless he's a liar, that money is there.

Ergo, there is no reason that we can't sign him given that we could blow United out the water and the fact that Hearts fans despise him (although a few have already shown more faces than the town clock with their hilarious 'all is forgiven' backtracking).

Get it done, Petrie.

In the grand scheme of things, we've had a great transfer window in terms of building a squad (young, hungry footballers coming in, stroppy/untalented individuals out). But I feel yesterday was a bit sour. The signing of quite plausibly the best centre back in the SPL, an experienced one at that, would put the smile back on more than a few faces down Leith way. Added to this, I feel he'd be a perfect partner for Hanlon at centre-back.

Billychaotic182
01-02-2011, 03:32 PM
According to Calderwood, we could break the club transfer record if we wanted to so it would appear, unless he's a liar, that money is there.

Ergo, there is no reason that we can't sign him given that we could blow United out the water and the fact that Hearts fans despise him (although a few have already shown more faces than the town clock with their hilarious 'all is forgiven' backtracking).

Get it done, Petrie.

In the grand scheme of things, we've had a great transfer window in terms of building a squad (young, hungry footballers coming in, stroppy/untalented individuals out). But I feel yesterday was a bit sour. The signing of quite plausibly the best centre back in the SPL, an experienced one at that, would put the smile back on more than a few faces down Leith way. Added to this, I feel he'd be a perfect partner for Hanlon at centre-back.

:top marks

CallumLaidlaw
01-02-2011, 03:35 PM
Agreed. Never mind Rooney. This would be our champagne signing. Build confidence from the back. The board could show a real sign of intent here.

Unfortunately I think it will be same old same old

Dirkster23
01-02-2011, 03:38 PM
Just had a tweet from Mark Benstead from Real Radio, says he's heard Webster's in talks with Hibs, now here's someone in the media who will be in the know, so fingers crossed.:greengrin

Obviously mad Vlad told him where to go.:bye:

Think he's due to have talks with us, United and hearts.

Andy74
01-02-2011, 03:40 PM
Both Ayr Utd games should do the trick. :greengrin

That's just inhumane. Mild torture I said man!

NthCarolinaHibs
01-02-2011, 03:41 PM
Webster signing, might add a wee bit to the crowd tomorrow too :agree:

JimBHibees
01-02-2011, 03:42 PM
That's just inhumane. Mild torture I said man!

Yep maybe going too far he would have been screaming for mercy and signing the deal after 5 mins. :greengrin

Billychaotic182
01-02-2011, 03:43 PM
If he does sign will he be fit to play tomorow?

JimBHibees
01-02-2011, 03:45 PM
If he does sign will he be fit to play tomorow?

I cant imagine he will be deciding today for anyone, more than likely speak to the clubs then make his decision after a couple of days or so.

lyons997
01-02-2011, 03:46 PM
On ssn that he is in talks with hearts

HibbyAndy
01-02-2011, 03:47 PM
Mare chance of landing Kevin Webster, Seriously if the tramps are in for him we dont stand a chance.

Diclonius
01-02-2011, 03:57 PM

Rock in the United defence that finished 9 points clear in third place last season and won the Scottish Cup.

I'd say we have a case.

J-C
01-02-2011, 03:58 PM
Mark Benstead just answered my tweet and said Mad Vlad will probably re sign him but then send him down to work in the salt mines.:greengrin

Hibernia Na Eir
01-02-2011, 04:04 PM
How can we compete with vlads rubels? Cant envisage him coming to hibs. Vlad will make sure of it!

just_joe
01-02-2011, 04:05 PM
Andy Webster would be a superb signing. He was an absolute stand out for Dundee Utd and IMO was a real contender for POTY. If though he does sign for Hearts (pains me to say this) then i have nothing but praise for Jim Jefferies. The job hes done at Hearts since hes returned has been great. The players hes signed and the way he has got the team playing. Even as a Hibs fan I have to say fair play to him. Still a ****** though!

SouthMoroccoStu
01-02-2011, 04:06 PM
How can we compete with vlads rubels? Cant envisage him coming to hibs. Vlad will make sure of it!

The guys already had dealings with mad vlad.
If he wants to go back, more fool him.

Come on Andy, come to the Hibees! :notworthy:

Kaiser1962
01-02-2011, 04:06 PM
Rock in the United defence that finished 9 points clear in third place last season and won the Scottish Cup.

I'd say we have a case.

If fit I would say he would help young Hanlon BUT we cant afford £14k a week. Would cause ructions.

Basildon Hibs
01-02-2011, 04:09 PM
If fit I would say he would help young Hanlon BUT we cant afford £14k a week. Would cause ructions.

£14k a week !! He was 'only' on £10k a week at the Huns. :rolleyes:

JimBHibees
01-02-2011, 04:10 PM
Mare chance of landing Kevin Webster, Seriously if the tramps are in for him we dont stand a chance.

Ordinarily would agree however there is more baggage than a 747 between Webster and Vladimir.

Andy74
01-02-2011, 04:16 PM
Andy Webster would be a superb signing. He was an absolute stand out for Dundee Utd and IMO was a real contender for POTY. If though he does sign for Hearts (pains me to say this) then i have nothing but praise for Jim Jefferies. The job hes done at Hearts since hes returned has been great. The players hes signed and the way he has got the team playing. Even as a Hibs fan I have to say fair play to him. Still a ****** though!

A budget about three times ours helps though, eh!

just_joe
01-02-2011, 04:19 PM
True but all im saying is credit where its due. Hes built up a good squad.

paul_hfc3
01-02-2011, 04:19 PM

No chance will Hibs pay that. Yams would defo pay that for him, I could see them even hitting 16/17k per week just to get him, they've done it before, they will do it again. Yams time bomb will be declining more the faster with that outrageous wage demand

J-C
01-02-2011, 04:22 PM
Personally, I'd offer him £5-6k a week, he'll probably be happy with that just to put himself back in the shop window for next season, hopefully will have second thought re Vlad.

pacorosssco
01-02-2011, 04:24 PM
Can he command a big wage? hes injured for a start. Rangers wouldnt release him for nothing if they thought they'd get a fee however small.

Fit and motivated an excellent signing regardless of his cousins of william connection. Hearts are the only team who may be prepared to gamble a big wage on him and even then with history of him and mad vlad maybe not. Could may well be affordable to likes of us and D.Utd . Due to injuries though it may very well be a gamble. I think most likely hell go to D.Utd as he knows what hes getting and vice versa.

Defo worth having a serious look at but injuries is main concern

pacorosssco
01-02-2011, 04:27 PM
No chance will Hibs pay that. Yams would defo pay that for him, I could see them even hitting 16/17k per week just to get him, they've done it before, they will do it again. Yams time bomb will be declining more the faster with that outrageous wage demand

What was he on at rangers . I recon no more than 12k a week if that. Hes not going to command a wage rise. Hes just been binned

He probably got to look at 3-4 K max unless a championship team are prepared to gamble on him and then 6-7k

CB_NO3
01-02-2011, 04:28 PM
Give him Zemmama and Bambas wage and a 50k signing on fee from the 400k recieved from Zemmama and Bamba.

ScottB
01-02-2011, 04:31 PM
What was he on at rangers . I recon no more than 12k a week if that. Hes not going to command a wage rise. Hes just been binned

He probably got to look at 3-4 K max unless a championship team are prepared to gamble on him and then 6-7k

Hasn't stopped Hearts coming in with ridiculous wage offers though has it!

Wasn't it Barr who was gonna come here for like a grand and a half a week till they offered 9 grand a week?

PeterboroHibee
01-02-2011, 04:32 PM
Hes worth offering a fair bit of wages to. He offers stability and experience at the back, hes a natural leader, he would really bring on Hanlon, and would be a genuinely ambitious signing (the signing we all hoped for yet havent received). Obviously we cant offer ridiculous wages but we would stay up with him signing; just look at the impact he had on Dundee United, hes the only player theyve really lost from last season and theyve gone from by far the 3rd best team in Scotland to quite average.

I just dont have any faith in the club to even come close to making him a Hibs player. Love to be proven wrong though.

pacorosssco
01-02-2011, 04:33 PM

Wasn't it Barr who was gonna come here for like a grand and a half a week till they offered 9 grand a week?

not doubting that but if they dont who else will?
ha yam bams

truehibernian
01-02-2011, 04:36 PM

And we can count ourselves extremely lucky. Any money spent on Darren Barr would have been money well and truly wasted. Quite happy to watch him drain ever more cash out of Hearts to be honest.......terrible player who we were lucky not to get saddled with. The Scottish version of Chris Hogg (sorry Hoggy)

Kaiser1962
01-02-2011, 04:54 PM
£14k a week !! He was 'only' on £10k a week at the Huns. :rolleyes:

It was posted earlier that he was on £14,300pw at the huns. Thats where the figure came from. An immediate £300 reduction for playing for the yams :greengrin

If he seriously goes back to Yams after all that happened then it will truly confirm that football players have no principles and they would actually sell their souls.

Baader
01-02-2011, 05:01 PM
If he seriously goes back to Yams after all that happened then it will truly confirm that football players have no principles and they would actually sell their souls.

Totally. Although nothing would surprise me.

Would Vlad sanction it though? He may not want him there. Be good if it causes a bit friction between Fat Jim and the mad one. Be delighted to see Jefferies waddling out of the Bus Shelter at some point. Given past events, must be a case of 'when' more than 'if'...

TRC
01-02-2011, 05:06 PM
Would he be a candidate for captain?

greenlex
01-02-2011, 05:08 PM
Would he be a candidate for captain?

Yes.

Franck Stanton
01-02-2011, 05:14 PM
Most posters appear to be of the opinion it's only D'Unt, them and us that Webster is talking to when the newspaper actually states JJ hopes Webster turns down offers from English [probably Championship] teams to sign for them. Also adds as a sort of footnote that other Scottish clubs also interested.
Of course Webster would listen to what any club was prepaired to offer and then decide his future. Can anyone on here seriously think we can/would match what they / Championship sides would be prepaired to pay for his services? I dont and am of the opinion Webster will be heading South. Pity because he is just the type of player we need.

lapsedhibee
01-02-2011, 05:16 PM
It was posted earlier that he was on £14,300pw at the huns.

Was it? :hmmm:

sevenil
01-02-2011, 05:27 PM
He'll be heading South? - you're probably right.
The day is long gone when we could compete financially with Championship Clubs, far less those in the EPL. The signings show that - we now do our shopping in the aisles where the mysterious unknowns are stacked up - sad but true.......

cammy1969
01-02-2011, 05:37 PM
for him to leave the huns they would have 2 ave paid off his contract so he's been paid for this season so perhaps it wont take as much as the 10-14 k thats being said but the way he's conducted his self in his career its all about the money with him i think

malcolm1875
01-02-2011, 05:45 PM
Do we really want a player who's to be found in McDonalds of a Saturday night shoving fries up some wee tart's nose? I personally witnessed this the other night! Presumably he scoffed the uncontaminated remainder of the super-size poke.

And that's not to mention the absolutely hoachin' brown leather loafers he was sporting...

greenlex
01-02-2011, 05:47 PM
Do we really want a player who's to be found in McDonalds of a Saturday night shoving fries up some wee tart's nose? I personally witnessed this the other night! Presumably he scoffed the uncontaminated remainder of the super-size poke.

And that's not to mention the absolutely hoachin' brown leather loafers he was sporting...
Yes:confused:

Andy74
01-02-2011, 05:49 PM

I was so disappointed when you said nose.:cool2:

IWasThere2016
01-02-2011, 05:53 PM

Who we talking about???

Dunbar Hibee
01-02-2011, 06:05 PM

I smell sheeiiiite

Captain Trips
01-02-2011, 06:19 PM

Indeed, he would certainly be a very good addition to the team and I would be happy but it does show you how far and bad the club is we have 7+ pages on speculation on a player we may get for 4mths.

Again not saying he is not needed just its a sad indicement of how bad we truly are that a short term deal for AW is exciting.

blackpoolhibs
01-02-2011, 06:26 PM
If we are thinking about trying to sign Webster, then we obviously have some money still to spend. It does not have to be Webster, it could be someone else. This begs the question why we did not seem to be in for any other defenders while the window was open, and this seems to be an after thought.

We will know roughly what wages he wants, could we not have got someone else decent for that type of money, without having to wait for Webster?:confused:

greenlex
01-02-2011, 06:32 PM
If we are thinking about trying to sign Webster, then we obviously have some money still to spend. It does not have to be Webster, it could be someone else. This begs the question why we did not seem to be in for any other defenders while the window was open, and this seems to be an after thought.

We will know roughly what wages he wants, could we not have got someone else decent for that type of money, without having to wait for Webster?:confused:
It only seems we were not in for a defender. I am sure we would be.
We would have been thwarted by various things. Exsiting club wanting a fee on top of wages etc. No fee to a club would make it more feesible for Hibs IMO.
Still got signing on fee and wages mind you and both or either could still and probably will scupper a deal.

Kaiser1962
01-02-2011, 06:33 PM
Was it? :hmmm:

Correction

It appears Brooster divided the money reportedly received from the sale of Zemmama and it came to £14,300. Apologies :greengrin

blackpoolhibs
01-02-2011, 06:37 PM
It only seems we were not in for a defender. I am sure we would be.
We would have been thwarted by various things. Exsiting club wanting a fee on top of wages etc. No fee to a club would make it more feesible for Hibs IMO.
Still got signing on fee and wages mind you and both or either could still and probably will scupper a deal.

I understand that, but again thats what happens with most signings these days and it just seems strange we are in for the same player as hearts and utd . :agree:

greenlex
01-02-2011, 06:44 PM
I understand that, but again thats what happens with most signings these days and it just seems strange we are in for the same player as hearts and utd . :agree:

Short term deal to see us up? I dont know G. But we would be nuts not to explore the possibility.

CmoantheHibs
01-02-2011, 06:45 PM
Although I think he would be a great addition we shall offer him whatever CC thinks he is worth from whatever his budget is.Id imagine we will not offer the highest wages which is just a fact of life especially with Hearts and English clubs interested.
If he is to sign it will either be as a short term deal to get him playing and increase his value to other clubs or because he buys into CCs plans for him and Hibs.
I have no idea why his contract was terminated or what his plans/thoughts are but hopefully the challenge, responsibility and playing time he would get at Hibs will lure him here.If he decides to go elsewhere(which is highly likely)then Im sure RP will get it in the ear for being a tight arse.I have a feeling CC will be busy scouring the free agents and our signings arent finished yet though probably not Andy Webster.

down-the-slope
01-02-2011, 06:51 PM
Main Beeb news only reporting talks with Hearts...and JJ saying other interest....

I'm taking that to mean its now in the very un-likely category :rolleyes:

ELZ1875
01-02-2011, 07:00 PM

It seems???? so you know diddly

ancient hibee
01-02-2011, 07:06 PM

Get it done, Petrie.

If he's the best centre back in the SPL why don't Rangers want him?

blackpoolhibs
01-02-2011, 07:06 PM
It seems???? so you know diddly

Yip i don't know if we were after a defender, i'm just surprised we are after a Webster considering what i think he will be wanting wages wise?

Pedantic_Hibee
01-02-2011, 07:08 PM

The same reason that he's always injured at Rangers yet fit as a fiddle when on loan. They don't like him.

greenlex
01-02-2011, 07:10 PM
The same reason that he's always injured at Rangers yet fit as a fiddle when on loan. They don't like him.
you cant blame them really. Would you like someone who stuffs french fries up a burds nose in Macdonalds.

ancient hibee
01-02-2011, 07:10 PM

Not surprised if he only wants the money without the effort.

TamHibs
01-02-2011, 07:14 PM
Main Beeb news only reporting talks with Hearts...and JJ saying other interest....

I'm taking that to mean its now in the very un-likely category :rolleyes:

Thats almost word for word copied from Sky Sports website except they've cut off the bottom of the article where it says Calderwood hasnt ruled out making a move

Pedantic_Hibee
01-02-2011, 07:23 PM
you cant blame them really. Would you like someone who stuffs french fries up a burds nose in Macdonalds.

Every team needs a MacFud within their ranks.

J-C
01-02-2011, 07:28 PM

Rangers are skint and once Webster played a certain amount of games, Wigan were in for a windfall of cash, part of the deal that took him to Ibrox.

macca70
01-02-2011, 07:29 PM

Cause it will cost rangers money, think he might have 1 of these clauses so if he plays so many games, he gets more money and he's 1 game away therefore they won't play him.

NadeAteMyLunch!
01-02-2011, 08:55 PM

He could shove his fries up my arse if it stopped us getting relegated.

And are folk actually being serious with their £14,300pw wage chat!?lol At no point was it said that's what he would be after!! This thread has got more ridiculous as the day has progressed...

Kaiser1962
01-02-2011, 08:59 PM
He could shove his fries up my arse if it stopped us getting relegated.

And are folk actually being serious with their £14,300pw wage chat!?lol At no point was it said that's what he would be after!! This thread has got more ridiculous as the day has progressed...

That was me misinterpreting what was said earlier. :doh:

Someone said we should pay him the Zemmama money and that was worked out at £14300 a week. No one said thats what he was on and thats how I picked it up.

But I'm sure if CC offers him some "fun with fries" and your up for it who knows? might swing the deal and save the club £10k.:greengrin

NadeAteMyLunch!
01-02-2011, 09:12 PM
Think quite a few folk made that same mistake mate :doh:

Well i'll take one for the team then...

'If Hibs sign Webster ill sit in a bath of chips and let him and Deeks shove said fries up my arse'...Or something like that.

fatbloke
01-02-2011, 09:51 PM
Correction

It appears Brooster divided the money reportedly received from the sale of Zemmama and it came to £14,300. Apologies :greengrin

Is that no Brooster's bar tab in the Brig.

degenerated
01-02-2011, 10:00 PM
Cause it will cost rangers money, think he might have 1 of these clauses so if he plays so many games, he gets more money and he's 1 game away therefore they won't play him.

unless the amount of games was 3 i can't see this being the case :greengrin

essexhibee
01-02-2011, 10:08 PM
No chance Webster coming...hearts are offering bigger wages.

Happily be wrong however!!

Dr Jimmy
01-02-2011, 10:14 PM

Do you know or just assuming?

essexhibee
01-02-2011, 10:23 PM
Do you know or just assuming?

Well I know someone (unfortunately ;) who is "in the know" at hearts... who tells me that's how it is..I'm really hoping its bull**** but I reckon he's hearts bound .

Pedantic_Hibee
01-02-2011, 10:28 PM
If he doesn't join us I hope he goes to Hearts a) he adds to their wage bill and b) most importantly their fans hate him and it'll be hilarious watching all the fickle wee creeps do an about-turn and worship him.

The Harp Awakes
01-02-2011, 10:34 PM
Wikipedia saying he's agreed to join Hearts until end of the season:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andy_Webster

hibees59
01-02-2011, 10:45 PM
Wikipedia saying he's agreed to join Hearts until end of the season:

Have just looked at the link and it now says he'll join Celtic :confused:

Judas Iscariot
01-02-2011, 10:46 PM
Well I know someone (unfortunately ;) who is "in the know" at hearts... who tells me that's how it is..I'm really hoping its bull**** but I reckon he's hearts bound .

Your contacts run very far and wide..

The Harp Awakes
01-02-2011, 10:47 PM

Maybe it will come up Hibs next:wink:

Purehibee_MYB
01-02-2011, 10:49 PM

I have always been taught never to trust Wikipedia!

nortonhibby
01-02-2011, 10:51 PM

We really need RP To step up to the table and splash the cash we must be able to out bid the yams to get him this is your moment RP:confused:

lapsedhibee
01-02-2011, 10:53 PM
Maybe it will come up Hibs next:wink:

Not yet Hibs, but there's an interesting snippet further down the article:

On 30 January 2008, Court of Arbitration for Sport ruled that Heart of Midlothian Football Club were to be awarded £150,000 for Webster's breach of contract. This amount was to be paid by Webster to the club. The arbitration board reduced the compensation from previous amount of £625,000 that Hearts appealed against.

This seems to imply that Hearts were originally awarded £625,000 compensation, thought it wasn't enough, appealed, and, because they appealed, had the award reduced to £150,000. Terrible shame if that's what actually happened. :boo hoo:

ScottB
01-02-2011, 10:54 PM
We really need RP To step up to the table and splash the cash we must be able to out bid the yams to get him this is your moment RP:confused:

If they are offering him around the £10k mark that would be ludicrous for us to try and match.

That's got nothing to do with showing ambition.

calder45a
01-02-2011, 10:55 PM
On Wiki

Over eight years after nearly joining Dundee United (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dundee_United_F.C.), Webster finally made the move to Tannadice (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tannadice_Park) in July 2009, joining on a season-long loan (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loan_(football)).[13] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andy_Webster#cite_note-12) While on loan his performances earned him a nomination for SPFA Players' Player of the Year (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SPFA_Players%27_Player_of_the_Year) and he also was captain of the team that won the Scottish Cup (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_Scottish_Cup_Final).

===Hibernian=== 1st Feb 5 month loan deal.
] Bristol City

J-C
01-02-2011, 11:03 PM
Now saying on Wiki that he's signed a 2.5 yr deal with Hibernian...........think there's a lot of nonsense being posted on his wiki page..........we'll just have to wait and see eh!:wink:

calder45a
01-02-2011, 11:04 PM
LOL now on wiki
Andrew Neil "Andy" Webster (born 23 April 1982 in Dundee (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dundee), Scotland (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scotland)) is a Scottish footballer (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Association_football) who plays as a centre back (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defender_(association_football)#Centre_back). Webster has signed a 2 and a half year deal with Hibernian as of 1st Febuary 2011.

1two
01-02-2011, 11:05 PM
LOL now on wiki
Andrew Neil "Andy" Webster (born 23 April 1982 in Dundee (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dundee), Scotland (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scotland)) is a Scottish footballer (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Association_football) who plays as a centre back (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defender_(association_football)#Centre_back). Webster has signed a 2 and a half year deal with Hibernian as of 1st Febuary 2011.

Anyone can change wiki pages

my bet is it was you!

nortonhibby
01-02-2011, 11:06 PM
If they are offering him around the £10k mark that would be ludicrous for us to try and match.

That's got nothing to do with showing ambition.

Its not Ambition the word is SURVIVAL we have lost Hogg now we urgently need a Central Defender the game V Dundee United showed that.

10k per week for us to stay up:confused: there is no transfer fee involved, get him on a deal to the end off the season would cost us less than the 200k we got for Z:confused:

1two
01-02-2011, 11:07 PM
LOL now on wiki

Anyone can change wiki pages

my bet is it was you!

He's now signed for alloa athletic:aok: