PDA

View Full Version : Is the Pressure now on Calderwood?

HFC 0-7
31-01-2011, 10:33 PM
Now that Calderwood has brought 6 of his own players in, will he start getting more pressure should results not pick up?

I have given Calderwood time because he was lumbered with a rank team but will more people give him a hard time if performances and results dont improve? Although I havent agreed with his constant rotation of players I understand that he needed to have a look at what he has got so I would expect a more settled first team and results to pick up.

I am dissapointed that a CH didnt get brought in but 6 players in a January transfer window is a pretty good effort IMO?

So, my question is really, will you start to question Calderwood as manager if the poor results continue?

erskine-hibby
31-01-2011, 10:40 PM
Now that Calderwood has brought 6 of his own players in, will he start getting more pressure should results not pick up?

I have given Calderwood time because he was lumbered with a rank team but will more people give him a hard time if performances and results dont improve? Although I havent agreed with his constant rotation of players I understand that he needed to have a look at what he has got so I would expect a more settled first team and results to pick up.

I am dissapointed that a CH didnt get brought in but 6 players in a January transfer window is a pretty good effort IMO?

So, my question is really, will you start to question Calderwood as manager if the poor results continue?

It is true that he is now more liable to take flack, simply because he has now brought in a few players. To my mind, though, this is merely the start of what has been needed for a while. This reconstruction of the squad will continue during the summer and it is really next season that we can only fully judge him by.
The January window is notoriously hard to get decent players in, but I hope that we get in early this year for summer signings, and not leave it till the last, or even past the last, minute to get the squad for next term.

bingo70
31-01-2011, 10:43 PM

I've been backing Calderwood and am absolutely convinced we'll be a different team next season.

That said though, whether its his players or not, at some point he's simply going to have to start winning, but we will do, we'll win on wednesday and take confidence from that and go on to be comfortably safe.

lucky
31-01-2011, 10:47 PM
Simple answer is yes.6 players brought in . More than any other SPL club. February is a massive month him and more importantly Hibernian football club. We must at least two games this month

AFKA5814_Hibs
31-01-2011, 10:54 PM
Pressure is on now on to start getting results. The next 5 weeks will determine our fate for this season and ultimately will decide Calderwoods future as Hibs manager.

Sir David Gray
31-01-2011, 11:05 PM
The pressure has been on him since we drew 0-0 with a second division team of part-timers at Easter Road.

Whether they were his players or not, there really was no excuse for failing to get past Ayr Utd.

If we don't improve our league standing over the course of the next month, when we have St Mirren (H), Kilmarnock (H), Inverness (H), St Mirren (A), then there will be a huge amount of pressure on Calderwood and the board.

sixtwo
31-01-2011, 11:08 PM
with our predicament and the upcoming fixture, the pressure was always gonna be on. In my opinion he has three games to turn it around. he needs at least 4 points to save his job

jacomo
31-01-2011, 11:13 PM
Don't think many people are going to start questioning Calderwood... most have been questioning him for a while now.

He may have been dealt a poor hand, but a manager's job is to MANAGE the resources at his disposal - and in a piss-poor league, his results have been atrocious so far.

The club have backed him - we won't know much about his signings for another month, by that time it will be March and we might be in an even worse situation than we are now. It's time for him to show us why he believes he's cut out for football management, I think.

basehibby
01-02-2011, 12:11 AM

Yes - the pressure is most definately on Calderwood's shoulders. He's had a chance to shape things to his own vision and MUST start to put some points on the table in short order.
That said, I think the less pressure the fans apply the better - we need to all get resolutely behind him and whatever team he puts on the park in an effort to lift them for the challenges to come.

SmokieJoe
01-02-2011, 12:15 AM

I've said it many times before, 6/8 weeks then if results are still not happening then fair play i say.You have to give the new lads time to get settled/to know eachother before we all jump in with both feet:greengrin

SmokieJoe
01-02-2011, 12:18 AM
And lets be totally honest here, its how long since our last win?

The law of averages dictates that we will win soon, and i believe 1 win goes to 2....

smurf
01-02-2011, 12:24 AM
Pressure on everyone connected with our club and we must rise to it successfully.

RIP
01-02-2011, 06:29 AM
Pressure in on all right

Rod has just sold our top defender and most creative midfielder and allowed Colin to replace them with lower division players and untried laddies

However maybe Colin can work miracles and motivate these kids to keep us in the SPL

Time will tell

The Falcon
01-02-2011, 07:31 AM
I've been backing Calderwood and am absolutely convinced we'll be a different team next season.

That said though, whether its his players or not, at some point he's simply going to have to start winning, but we will do, we'll win on wednesday and take confidence from that and go on to be comfortably safe.

The big question is that if we do win on Wednesday will there be more people upset than if we lost? :greengrin

The Falcon
01-02-2011, 07:33 AM
with our predicament and the upcoming fixture, the pressure was always gonna be on. In my opinion he has three games to turn it around. he needs at least 4 points to save his job

Utter gash.

Baker9
01-02-2011, 07:46 AM
It is true that he is now more liable to take flack, simply because he has now brought in a few players. To my mind, though, this is merely the start of what has been needed for a while. This reconstruction of the squad will continue during the summer and it is really next season that we can only fully judge him by.
The January window is notoriously hard to get decent players in, but I hope that we get in early this year for summer signings, and not leave it till the last, or even past the last, minute to get the squad for next term.

I have no doubt that Colin was brought in to reconstruct and rebuild the squad and that the board have given him this season and the summer to do so. He is doing just that. He has given existing players a fair chance and has now decided who should go and who should stay. Six signings says it all and I have no doubt that he would have liked at least 2 more and that the board would have backed him had the right players been available. The only thing that has gone wrong with the plan (and it is a very big scary thing) is that we are struggling at the foot of the table instead of being somewher near the middle as was probably expected at this stage. I would love all 6 to play against St Mirren. I would not be confident of a win but I am confident that we will not get worse in the short term and that we will climb the table a few months later than expected. Roll on the next window and any deals that can be done sooner.

Our friends across the city have circulated a cartoon with an open topped bus to be used when we get out first goal of 2011. I suspect we are in a much better position to catch the bus now.:thumbsup:

hibiedude
01-02-2011, 07:50 AM
The pressure is on everyone who works at the club but Calderwood will feel it the most because he now has players that he has brought to the club and if given time he will bring more in during the summer.

The players he has brought in must hit the ground running because if we continue the way we have been playing and the new signing don't have any inpact.... he will be shown the door.

Guys like Towell-palsson have shown more fight in one game that it gives me hope that better days are not far away.....Lets be honest it can't get any worse

Jack
01-02-2011, 12:21 PM
We lost one decent player in the window that deserved his place in the team, who was by most accounts a disruptive influence. The rest either weren’t good enough, didn’t apply themselves enough or, on balance, were unlikely to stay off the treatment table long enough to make a contribution. So overall probably no great loss. Thanks but :bye:

What I saw of the new players on Sunday I’m more than happy with so if the others are of the same ilk that’ll do me nicely - they’ll not take us down without a full on fight. :devil:

No pressure then Colin, just show us what we’ve been missing. :greengrin

pacorosssco
01-02-2011, 12:51 PM
Pressure is on. Big Time. We must see signs of improvement and quickly. He had brought guys in and shipped some out.

He must deliver, dont think its set in yet we are in a relegation battle with him

I hope he can turn it around but I have serious doubts and as we are in a results business he must start getting them

Pretty Boy
01-02-2011, 01:06 PM
We are 2nd bottom of the league, 2 points ahead of a team with 2 games in hand.

The pressure is on everyone at the club big time. I'm not in panic mode yet but now CC has a few of his own boys in i feel it's time we kicked on and got something of a run going.

The problems with the playing staff were never going to be sorted in 1 window, we need to accept this, but i'm cautiously optimistic. We have signed 3 hungry young midfielders, a well rated young goalkeeper, a decent full back as well as promoting another talented full back added to bringing in a big striker who will hopefully prove a few wrong.

We need points pure and simple, if we fail to pick them up the pressure on the manager, chairman and players will grow, thats life. I believe we have enough about us now to stay up and i think given another couple of windows CC has the right ideas regarding the team he is trying to build.

PeeJay
01-02-2011, 01:13 PM
The only good thing that can now come from this season is us staying up - can't see us breaking into the top six (not impossible though I guess) or reaching a European spot - so although that was a failure for Yogi apparently, not getting relegated will be success for CC.

Fine by me - next season everything might well turn out different, and I'm behind him in hoping that it does. If we go down however, he can go - why anybody would want to keep him if the worse came to the worst is beyond me.

So yes - the pressure is on, has been for quite some time I would imagine.

happiehibbie
01-02-2011, 01:43 PM
I think CC will now be judges over the next 3 games he MUST WIN or its curtains I feel for him i cannot remember it being this bad i think Jim Duffy had a better record however he arrived in a helicopter and went home on the bus :)