PDA

View Full Version : Are you happy with the window?

PatHead
31-01-2011, 10:57 PM
Do you think we have met all our objectives and if so will we stay up?

Hibbyradge
31-01-2011, 10:59 PM
I'm happy.

6 new signings. De Graaf and Hogg out. Cash for Zouma and Bamba.

Good work.

I think we've a better chance of staying up now than we did a week ago.

eastmainsmsh
31-01-2011, 11:01 PM
Good Window ....But We need a centre half

Mikey
31-01-2011, 11:02 PM
And we've still got Derek :aok:

stokesmessiah
31-01-2011, 11:02 PM
Think we really should have got a CB as well i am not confident of our pairing in there. I guess time will tell, i hope so..

Mon The Hibs :flag:

Baw Baggio
31-01-2011, 11:03 PM
I can't believe we've not signed a central defender.

hibee_girl
31-01-2011, 11:04 PM

:thumbsup:

random sub
I think we have lost quality with Zouma and Bamba away. Not entirely convinced by our signings, especially lack of a centre half and the striker situation. Disappointed that, given our league position, we have brought in transfer fees to stick in the bank account it seems...so far anyway

PeterboroHibee
The midfielders look alright, but dont think any of the problems we have at the back and up front have been solved. Of course Im not going to write Sodje off but hes a bit of a journeyman whos never really been prolific.

Was expecting a big signing tbh, I know the windows not closed yet but we are in such a bad way thought the board would show a bit of ambition..

GMIZ
I hope we stay up but R P will be happy wage bill cut and a small profit from the window

bingo70
I'm delighted.

Physical striker to replace Nish, two midfielders that can tackle and have got a lot more energy about them, now appear to have two good fullbacks (i know we never bought booth, but he's playing now and wasn't before january) and have got a new keeper to replace Smith.

Ideally would have liked an experienced central defender to play alongside hanlon but can't have everything.

Only gripe is i don't see why we've had to wait till late on in the transfer window to do our business, all of these players should have been available in the first week as Scott apart they weren't first team regulars and even with him with the sort of money we were talking i'd have thought we could have worked out a deal earlier on.

nickwhibs
31-01-2011, 11:05 PM
no

essexhibee
Yes and no.

Pleased with the Signings of the three midfielders..but with the talk of rooney and the need for a centre half and striker it feels like a big anti-climax for this window.

1.2million from stokes, 400 000 from Bamba and zouma but no big signings?

Feel we needed just that little bit more but maybe I'm being harsh. The three signed before today look decent but the jury will be out on todays additions, though I wish them the best of luck in the famous green and white.

Cabbage East
No centre half. No proven goal scorer. So no, not really.

Gatecrasher
31-01-2011, 11:06 PM
I'm happy.

Good work.

:agree:

more work to be done in the summer though

Barney McGrew

Likewise.

Very disappointing.

sixtwo
I think this there is more to come. I'm happy that hogg and degraff have gone. Disappointed that bamba and zemamma have gone but ina way, glad they are away if they were not going to sign. Would like to have seen mcbride, smith, stack, rankin and nish emptied but there is still time.

Sodje and the new keeper will hopefully freshen things up. Would like to see us get another striker and defender in over the next hour or so - i know the window has closed but things might develop.
Loads of players will have been freed in England and abroad. I think we will strengthen in the coming days

It's been a good window in england but we are the only busy scottish team

BEEJ
:agree: I think the squad now looks very thin in the CB department. Time for young Stephens to make the step up?

Meanwhile the goalkeeping school continues to grow in classroom size.

Westie1875

This. :agree:

Fairly happy with the rest so we'll just need to hope the new keeper can get the defense organised and shut the goals out.

LancashireHibby
31-01-2011, 11:07 PM
I'm happy.

Good work.

You forgot to mention Riordan staying as well.

Could have been a LOT worse I reckon, though only time will tell if it's been worth it.

PatHead
31-01-2011, 11:07 PM
Is anyone aware of players who have been released from other clubs who could do a job at Centre Half or if any of the "wage thieves" got emptied?

Hiber-nation
31-01-2011, 11:08 PM

No idea what the keeper's like but we needed a better quality striker than Sodje and the central defence is still a huge problem. We've still got a fair amount of dross at the club too but happy that some have been moved on.

I think that the 3 signings made last week will be enough to keep us up but we need more than that.

Jones28
31-01-2011, 11:09 PM

Could still go to the SFL...:greengrin

ScottB
31-01-2011, 11:09 PM
6 new players in is by any measure, a damn good effort.

Let's not forget what has been our single biggest issue for over a year now; the midfield. We have signed a whole new midfields worth, and by all accounts those we've seen so far have been positive changes. We have also brought in and promoted two pacey wingbacks, another big area we have been lacking.

Yes we haven't signed a centre back, but a midfield that actually works will take the pressure off our defense, and bringing me neatly to the point, provide much better ammo for our strikers. We've signed the sort of big, physical target man required to get the best out of Deek, and while signing Rooney would have been nice, I would see that as more a substitute for Riordan than a partner, we still have those two plus Duffy, Trakys, Byrne and Nish on the books, so let's not be too down in the dumps about it.

For me the primary goal for this window was to improve the midfield. We've done it. :agree:

Barney McGrew
31-01-2011, 11:10 PM
Only one striker in so far is a problem too - we've put an awful lot of eggs in one basket.

What happens if Sodje gets injured or suspended? It doesn't bear thinking about.

BEEJ
31-01-2011, 11:11 PM
Only gripe is i don't see why we've had to wait till late on in the transfer window to do our business, all of these players should have been available in the first week as Scott apart they weren't first team regulars and even with him with the sort of money we were talking i'd have thought we could have worked out a deal earlier on.
:agree: That is my main criticism.

As a club our transfer dealings (incoming) more often than not appear to be conducted sequentially and at a snail's pace. Whatever the reasons / obstacles have been in this window, we've paid a big price this month for not bringing players in sooner.

erskine-hibby
Merely the start of the rebuild.
I would have liked to have got a CB, but am hopeful that the midfielders that we have brought in will help in both defence and attack.

More work to be done in the summer:agree:

Sloppy
am i ****

hibees707070
31-01-2011, 11:12 PM
No needed another striker and a centre half!

Bostonhibby
31-01-2011, 11:14 PM
Nae disrespect intended to any of the guys we have brought in, but I am left with the feeling that whoever came and went, the balance sheet was going to be the gainer and it has that feel if I am honest, unless theres a big deal done before 11 yet to be anounced :rolleyes:

BEEJ
31-01-2011, 11:14 PM
Is anyone aware of players who have been released from other clubs who could do a job at Centre Half or if any of the "wage thieves" got emptied?
According to the official site, that is it!

http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/20110131/player-update-_2262950_2281477

Personally surprised that the likes of Stack and McBride are still here.

zero-seven
31-01-2011, 11:15 PM
Not happy at all

no purchases for key positions...no decent engine in midfield or anyone who can control the midfield..no known fire power at all...no rock in defence

well done RP...at least we made a profit on the deals so it will come in handy when we are in Div 1 and the attendance at our games has halved..we are a joke of a club

KeithTheHibby
31-01-2011, 11:16 PM
We are shipping goals like no tomorrow yet we have not signed any centre halfs.

We cannot score to save ourselves yet all we bring in is a journeyman striker.

Time will tell whether the midfielders brought in do the business, they looked ok on Sunday.

We bring in another keeper which is beyond me.

We lost Bamba on day 1 of the window. We lost Zouma on the last day of the window. Add to that Hogg. Arguably 2 of our best players leave.

I am not trying to be all doom and gloom and even go so far to say that the board have backed CC in this window. I do honestly hope that he knows what he is doing, effectively he has brought in half a team in the midst of a relegation battle and shocking run of form.

Time will tell I guess...

zero-seven
31-01-2011, 11:16 PM
According to the official site, that is it!

http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/20110131/player-update-_2262950_2281477

Personally surprised that the likes of Stack and McBride are still here.

i am not surprised at all ..they suck

IWasThere2016
31-01-2011, 11:18 PM

:agree: That and another striker IMHO.

Otherwise better than I expected.

Toaods
I'm actually happy....CC has obviously been working some long hours putting all these and other efforts together so well done for actually creating the change that was needed.

I am always amazed at how easily punters in Scotland write-off the lower English leagues, as IMO a very great percentage of Scottish Clubs would not survive in the Championship and probably find Div 1 hard going.

Sodje is what we've been screaming out for a solid, physical bustler...I thought Trackys might have been our man but his fitness is a huge issue and that in turn has an effect on his goal chances.

Deek is still here and will thrive with Sodje to take markers away and provide more room....dare I say it, Nish might find things easier now he won't be required to do the tough holding role.

I've said already no danger are we getting relegated and I'll stand by that even more now.

The other newcomers look promising and the keeper only has to be a decent all rounder to be no 1.

Bring on the Buddies...:thumbsup:

smurf
No. Improvement in midfield which is great.

However, disappointment in no central defender or Rooney type up front.

Personality issues aside in Bamba we've lost an excellent defender and not replaced him.

Also worry about creativity from midfield having lost Zouma...

I had hoped for an impact type signing to give us all a lift for our relegation battle ahead.

Wembley67
31-01-2011, 11:19 PM
Maybe all these fantastic available players you all go on about weren't available or didn't want to come to hibs.

Toaods
31-01-2011, 11:20 PM
PS...maybe we'll announce tomorrow that we've signed Rooney on a pre-contract...we've said often enough it's about time we managed to pull a few of these types of deals off..:cool2:

IWasThere2016
31-01-2011, 11:20 PM
BTW, Palsson can play at CH :wink: and very accomplish there also.

147lothian
31-01-2011, 11:21 PM
How much did we get for Zamamma?

gackohibs
31-01-2011, 11:22 PM
getting rid of dickoh would be the cherry on the cake...

im quite happy with the signings. Again just a decent CH was needed but im sure none were available on our budget.
I hope young stephens gets his chance. and soon!!

:flag:

HFC 0-7
31-01-2011, 11:22 PM
6 new players in is by any measure, a damn good effort.

Let's not forget what has been our single biggest issue for over a year now; the midfield. We have signed a whole new midfields worth, and by all accounts those we've seen so far have been positive changes. We have also brought in and promoted two pacey wingbacks, another big area we have been lacking.

Yes we haven't signed a centre back, but a midfield that actually works will take the pressure off our defense, and bringing me neatly to the point, provide much better ammo for our strikers. We've signed the sort of big, physical target man required to get the best out of Deek, and while signing Rooney would have been nice, I would see that as more a substitute for Riordan than a partner, we still have those two plus Duffy, Trakys, Byrne and Nish on the books, so let's not be too down in the dumps about it.

For me the primary goal for this window was to improve the midfield. We've done it. :agree:

Like your positive enthusiasm but have to disagree with you on what has been our biggest problem. I would say our defence has been the biggest problem since Jones left. We have been chopping and changing CH pairings and trying to get decent left and right backs in for a while (left and right backs may be OK now) but the CH is a big problem.

You mention that the midfield will take the pressure off the defence, but the midfield wont stop the sort of errors Dickoh makes and the positioning errors handling has been making. Its not that the defence are under constant pressure thats the problem, its the players in there dont know where they should be, playing people on side, getting goal side etc.

The midfield will create a lot more opportunities but the defence will still make its own problems IMO. We still dont have a spine of the team.

jackhfc
31-01-2011, 11:23 PM
NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO, oh and theres something else, NO

PatHead
31-01-2011, 11:23 PM
How much did we get for Zamamma?
£200k supposedly

Leithenhibby
31-01-2011, 11:24 PM
I'm actually happy....CC has obviously been working some long hours putting all these and other efforts together so well done for actually creating the change that was needed.

I am always amazed at how easily punters in Scotland write-off the lower English leagues, as IMO a very great percentage of Scottish Clubs would not survive in the Championship and probably find Div 1 hard going.

Sodje is what we've been screaming out for a solid, physical bustler...I thought Trackys might have been our man but his fitness is a huge issue and that in turn has an effect on his goal chances.

Deek is still here and will thrive with Sodje to take markers away and provide more room....dare I say it, Nish might find things easier now he won't be required to do the tough holding role.

I've said already no danger are we getting relegated and I'll stand by that even more now.

The other newcomers look promising and the keeper only has to be a decent all rounder to be no 1.

Bring on the Buddies...:thumbsup:

:top marks a man of my own heart, roll on wednesday I say ... :thumbsup:

Toaods
31-01-2011, 11:25 PM
funny how we all assume that there will not be any more players to come in - my recollection is that a good few players are suddenly released by their clubs when the window shuts, agreed deals to settle up and get rid.

I don't think he'd let Bamba go with no replacement on the way in at some point in the next week or so.

147lothian
31-01-2011, 11:25 PM
lets get behind calderwood, the problems at easter road, are all to do with petrie not calderwood, he wouldn't have been my choice, but we need to give him a chance, 4 managers in 4 and a half years is no good we cant change manager every year, personally i would like to see petrie go and a bit of stability return to the club!

Hibby Kay-Yay
31-01-2011, 11:26 PM
Yes I'm happy:

GK
RB
LB ( promotion)
3 x midfielders
Striker

7 players, more than half a team so let's hope they gel quickly and start taking us up the table.

IWasThere2016
31-01-2011, 11:26 PM

................................ Divis

Towell ....... Palsson ........ Hanlon ......... Booth

................. Scott .............. Murray
Spoony ............. Thornhill .............. Deeks

........................ Sodje

Nae Nish, Smith, De Graaf, Hogg, Hart, Dickoh, Rankin .. what more could a Hibby ask for? :greengrin

Sammy7nil
31-01-2011, 11:27 PM
I am not sure we are stronger after the window the Jury is definately Out
I would have liked the signings if we had kept Sol and Zemmama

We have avery winable run of games coming up any leas than 16 points and think we are almost down. The reason for that is if we dont get the points Saints and Hamilton will have them.

Hibernian v St Mirren, 19:45 - 3 points

Hibernian v Kilmarnock, 15:00 - 3 points on the back of 1st win in months

St Mirren v Hibernian, 14:45 - 1 point

Hibernian v Inverness CT, 15:00 1 point

Hamilton v Hibernian, 19:45 - 1 point

St Johnstone v Hibernian, 15:00 0 points

Celtic v Hibernian, 15:00 0 points

Hibernian v Hearts, 15:00 - 0 points

Aberdeen v Hibernian, 15:00 - 0 points

Hibernian v Hamilton, 15:00 - 3 points

That is an optmistic 12 points not sure we can acheive that if we dont get that may points or more it will curtains

Pretty Boy
31-01-2011, 11:27 PM
Reasonably happy.

We have improved the right back area and Booth has come into the side to improve the left back area.

People moan about us signing another keeper but we have to remember that 2 of the 3 we currently have are out of contract at the end of the season and i'm sure no one will be upset if we don't renew their contracts. If Divis is as good as some have suggested then it would have been madness not to sign him when he was available.

3 decent midfielders brought in. Palsson looked a very classy type who will improve as he settles into the side. Scott gives us an engine and a bit of fighting quality and Thornhill was well rated by most Forest fans.

Sodje i know nothing about although his scoring record isn't great. May be a decent player for the likes of Deek and Duffy to feed off though.

I would have liked a real proven SPL goalscorer and a centre half but you can't have everything. I feel we have done enough to stay up and with a few hungry young guys have started to look to the future. We have to remember we are in a hell of a mess and the rebuilding won't happen in 1 window. A few positive moves this window added to a bit more thorough surgery in the summer and we look like we could be heading in the right direction again.

ScottB
31-01-2011, 11:28 PM

Nae Nish, Smith, De Graaf, Hogg, Hart, Dickoh, Rankin .. what more could a Hibby ask for? :greengrin

How that couldn't be classed as a better side than we had at the start of the month is beyond me.

PatHead
31-01-2011, 11:28 PM
Might also have enough height to defend a corner as well:thumbsup:

IWasThere2016
31-01-2011, 11:29 PM
How that couldn't be classed as a better side than we had at the start of the month is beyond me.

Precisely :thumbsup:

Ryan69
31-01-2011, 11:30 PM
Im totally convinced about signings,but on the budget CC was given we will soon see.
Petrie doesnt seem to realise though that if we go down....we lose millions! i expected a proven experienced player to also arrive today!

We should have enough though!
It will be a very interesting next season thats all I can say!:agree:

BEEJ
funny how we all assume that there will not be any more players to come in - my recollection is that a good few players are suddenly released by their clubs when the window shuts, agreed deals to settle up and get rid.
Like a Trakys type signing, you mean?

I don't think he'd let Bamba go with no replacement on the way in at some point in the next week or so.
If it is as meticulously planned as you suggest, you wouldn't expect us to be taking our chances with the flotsam and jetsam that remains after the window has closed.

PatHead

May lack a little pace though. Know he's not the finished article or long term solution but Galbraith playing more centrally?

BEEJ
31-01-2011, 11:33 PM
I'd forgotten that. Feel slightly more positive now. :wink:

Hibby Kay-Yay
31-01-2011, 11:34 PM

One thing apparent in that team is the spine has had some major surgery

IWasThere2016
31-01-2011, 11:35 PM
One thing apparent in that team is the spine has had some major surgery

And some bite .. Palsson, Scott and Thornhill won't hold back

SmokieJoe
31-01-2011, 11:37 PM
I'd say we did good in the window, many doubters on Martin Scott's qualities etc...(where are all the nae sayers and doubters now?) just a CB (Palsson can play there short term) and the illusive Adam Rooney, what to say about him?
Smacks of Michael Hart, to much time chasing him for my liking. If he wanted to wear the green and white the deal would have been done weeks ago.
And Deeks stays to boot!! its all good:greengrin

wee hay
31-01-2011, 11:38 PM
where the defence where is the goalscorers? we have just realeased our third choice cb, tell me what we do if one gets injured never mind dickoh being as bad as he is. no disrespect to sodje but he doesn't really have a great goal scoring record possibly a panic buy. in truth i thought scott and palsson looked very promising. As for riordan I would not play the guy again he is not intrested in my opinion :rolleyes::confused:

SmokieJoe
31-01-2011, 11:38 PM
And some bite .. Palsson, Scott and Thornhill won't hold back
:agree::agree:

AFKA5814_Hibs
31-01-2011, 11:40 PM
I was happy with the players brought in last week but a little disappointed in what we've done today. Is it enough to save us from relegation? Maybe, but not convinced tbh.

Aubenas
31-01-2011, 11:40 PM
We've bought half a team in a window which is notoriously difficult. And nobody but Petrie knows how much we've spent. Surely nobody's daft enough to think that a 'free transfer' costs nothing? Signing on fee, wages, removal expenses, contractual adjustments. It's not so long ago that the received wisdom was 'we'll get noone'. The players have come in - they and the fans have got a big job to do - starting Wednesday night. Let's get behind the team.:flag::thumbsup:

Toaods
31-01-2011, 11:41 PM
Like a Trakys type signing, you mean?

in principal, yes.

Trackys was nothing more than a short term signing...we all knew that.

Leithenhibby
Im totally convinced about signings,but on the budget CC was given we will soon see.
Petrie doesnt seem to realise though that if we go down....we lose millions! i expected a proven experienced player to also arrive today!

We should have enough though!
It will be a very interesting next season thats all I can say!:agree:

I think you have got that one wrong BIG time, :wink: RP will be VERY aware of the situation :agree:

manx hibee

Sodje mistakenly signed for Hibernian (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hibernian_F.C.) on a free transfer on 31 January 2011.[20] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akpo_Sodje#cite_note-hibs_free-19)

dont know if we have but akpo seems like he is not happy
this is from his wiki page

:taxi

PatHead
31-01-2011, 11:42 PM
Yes I'm happy:

GK
RB
LB ( promotion)
3 x midfielders
Striker

7 players, more than half a team so let's hope they gel quickly and start taking us up the table.

Add Kurtis Byrne to the striker as he wasn't here before the window and that is 8 new faces. Getting a little bit excited now!

Sylar
31-01-2011, 11:42 PM
No doubt Marinello will follow me here :greengrin

Far from happy with the window:

We now have 4 goalkeepers - Smith is far from solid enough, but Brown and Stack are both able replacements.

Our defense is such a weakened part of our team, yet absolutely NOTHING was done to address the position of CH. Hanlon and Dickoh aren't good enough - it's as black and white as that. Towell is a good addition, but inexperienced and only til the end of the season. Good to have Booth back, but both are full backs - we needed to bolster our CH area and we haven't even made an effort to do so (by all accounts).

Midfield is encouraging - Scott, Palsson and Thornill should be good additions.

Attacking - we've not scored a goal in 2011 and our business was to sell one of our most creative players to Boro' and bring in an unproven striker with an abysmal record...

Will we stay up? Not a chance based on the business we've done.

erskine-hibby
31-01-2011, 11:43 PM
I cant understand how people are happy? we brun in 400k lost our best cb n most creative player he zemmama has bn lazy but 1 of the only players tht can do sumthin diff, and we spend 80k? just typical hibs in my eyes i am not happy atalll, i obv hope im proved rong but we r in big trouble

What the.....:confused:

Franck is God
31-01-2011, 11:46 PM
I'm pretty happy with our window dealings, we got money for players that wanted to leave and would have gone for nothing in a few months.

We signed players that improve our squad and are better than the players they are coming in to replace, they may also bring more from some of the players that are already here.

I think we have done well with our signings and in January no team wants to lose their best players and will be looking for unrealistic transfer fees

Sir David Gray
31-01-2011, 11:48 PM
Pleased with the additions in midfield and I think Towell will prove to be a decent player at RB for the remainder of the season.

However, I honestly don't see the point in signing Divis and I am uncertain that Sodje will provide the answers to our goalscoring problems, although I'm willing to be proved wrong on that one and I sincerely hope I am.

I am pleased that de Graaf and Hogg have left the club but losing Bamba and Zemmama could be a big blow to our hopes of staying up.

I think we're slightly better off now, than we were a month ago, but that's only because we won't be seeing much of Rankin, de Graaf or McBride in midfield from now on. I still don't think our defence will be up to much and I feel that scoring goals will remain a problem for us.

I'm not any more hopeful of staying up this season, put it that way.

NOLA
31-01-2011, 11:50 PM
dickoh can now blooter the ball upfield for the sodjer to try and keep it, bringing the midfield runners into play, easy:agree:

Pretty Boy
31-01-2011, 11:53 PM
Pleased with the additions in midfield and I think Towell will prove to be a decent player at RB for the remainder of the season.

However, I honestly don't see the point in signing Divis and I am uncertain that Sodje will provide the answers to our goalscoring problems, although I'm willing to be proved wrong on that one and I sincerely hope I am.

I am pleased that de Graaf and Hogg have left the club but losing Bamba and Zemmama could be a big blow to our hopes of staying up.

I think we're slightly better off now, than we were a month ago, but that's only because we won't be seeing much of Rankin, de Graaf or McBride in midfield from now on. I still don't think our defence will be up to much and I feel that scoring goals will remain a problem for us.

Not picking on you here FH but i've said this about a hundred times and i'll say it again. We have 2 goalkeepers out of contract at the end of the season, neither are likely to be offered new contracts. That leaves us with only Brown who has 1st team experience. If Divis is available and well rated why not get him in now? Remembering we have an option to keep him at the end of the season. CC obviously doesn't fancy Brown and Divis is bound to be an improvement on Smith, a decent and sensible piece of business IMO.

banchoryhibs
31-01-2011, 11:53 PM
Reasonably happy with the outcome though would have liked to have seen a strong CB signed.

Am happier than I might have been as the new signings performed well against Dundee Utd - suggests that Calderwood has an eye for a player.

Sodje may not be the forward that we hoped for but he has turned out for Charlton so he's no mug. Let's hope that he makes an immediate impact on Wednesday.

St Mirren and Hamilton do not appear to have strengthened as much as we have - let's hope that this shows from now until the end of the season.

Sylar
31-01-2011, 11:56 PM
Not picking on you here FH but i've said this about a hundred times and i'll say it again. We have 2 goalkeepers out of contract at the end of the season, neither are likely to be offered new contracts. That leaves us with only Brown who has 1st team experience. If Divis is available and well rated why not get him in now? Remembering we have an option to keep him at the end of the season. CC obviously doesn't fancy Brown and Divis is bound to be an improvement on Smith, a decent and sensible piece of business IMO.

Correct me if I'm wrong PB, but isn't Divis a loan deal til the end of the season?

BEEJ
31-01-2011, 11:57 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong PB, but isn't Divis a loan deal til the end of the season?
A loan until January 2012 - 12 months.

SmokieJoe
31-01-2011, 11:59 PM
Maybe all these fantastic available players you all go on about weren't available or didn't want to come to hibs.

aye they possibly read the s***e that some posters put on here and thought...
Fek that for a game of soldiers, look at the players they have signed and they are slating them before the have kicked a ball!!....Honestly....

Pretty Boy
31-01-2011, 11:59 PM

12 month loan with an option to sign permanently at the end of the loan deal.

SmokieJoe
01-02-2011, 12:04 AM
so your happy brining in 400k sellin 2 gd players n spendin about 80 k? needed a decent cb and a goalscored and got 0

The sea change has been started at ER, i'm sure many will agree that the signings that have been made will improve the team, and yes, no Adam Rooney, but ask you're self, did he want to come? i recon if he did he would be here by now.

so please apart from Connor Sammon (who's wages we could not afford) who else would you have signed to put the baw in the onion bag then?

banchoryhibs
01-02-2011, 12:04 AM
so your happy brining in 400k sellin 2 gd players n spendin about 80 k? needed a decent cb and a goalscored and got 0

I doubt very much that we've only spent £80k. The signing on fee for Palsson would have been significant - he was the captain of Liverpool reserves after all. Ok we did not get a centre back but I'd say that we've more strength in the team now than we had two weeks ago - Scott and Sodje should give us a bit of muscle - not sure about Thornhill yet but the Forrest fans were sorry to see him go.

Zemmama has been a great player for us but he's never been consistent and I doubt if he'd have the enough fight to get us out of the mire that we're in at the moment.

We didn't get 0 :agree:

snooky
01-02-2011, 12:11 AM

I think it's time to start afresh - wipe the slate clean.
The new boys may take a week or two to gel but let's give them that space. Hopefully this injection of youth, energy and pace will kick some life into the daleks. I'm looking for a steady improvement from NOW. If not, then I guess what will be will be.

I just pray that Rod doesn't live to see that old adage "Buy Cheap, Buy Dear" rammed down his throat letter by letter at the end of the season.

But, if we do go down, RP should fall on his sword, IMO.

SmokieJoe
01-02-2011, 12:13 AM
In a word....Yes

Have been impressed(apart from the result) with the new signings v's Dundee Utd.

Now we have a target man that can hold the ball up and chip in a few a season, All Good!

Sir David Gray
01-02-2011, 12:26 AM

I understand the point about Smith and Stack probably leaving in the summer, when their contracts expire, and that would have only left us with Mark Brown.

I can't understand what the problem is between Calderwood and Brown as, IMO, Brown is the best goalkeeper that I've seen at Hibs. I accept that's not saying much when I've been brought up watching Malkowski, Simon Brown and Makalambay, but he has saved us on several occasions this season. OK, his kicking leaves a lot to be desired at times but his shot stopping abilities have been excellent at Hibs.

I am not suggesting that Divis isn't a good goalkeeper, I wouldn't know as I have never seen him before in my life, but when the summer comes, and our goalkeeping "crisis" really kicks in, he'll only have six months left on his loan deal.

Re the bit in bold - Where was it announced that we had the option of keeping him at the end of the season. I'm not saying this isn't the case but it's not been reported on the Hibs website.

That doesn't say much, right enough.

Wouldn't this kind of option not come into play at the end of the loan deal (i.e. January 2012) as opposed to this summer when he still has 6 months left on his loan deal?

sesoim
01-02-2011, 12:41 AM

:agree: Unlike some folk here, I'm happy Riordan is still here - the most talented guy at the club, and the only one anywhere near capable of scoring 20 goals a season.

If Sodje can do what Nish couldn't, ie hold the ball up and header it, then we will start to see goals from Riordan again soon.

jonny
01-02-2011, 12:53 AM

I think the amount of money spent is irrelevant. How much did we pay for Anthony Stokes? Rob Jones? Zemmama? Ivan Sproule? Not a lot is the answer.

We've brought in a new goalkeeper, which IMO has addressed one of the weakest points in the team. For whatever reason CC has gone off Brown - Smith is a bomb-scare and oozes nervousness throughout the entire defence.
I don't know much about the new keeper other than he comes quite highly rated and played well in a bounce match. Good enough for me.

In defence we've brought in a bright energetic RB - a problem position for long enough. No doubt Towell has a fair bit to learn but thus far he looks hungry for the fight.

For me the midfield was the weakest area of the team - for too long they have just been going through the motions, little creativity, little hunger and no energy.
This has been addressed by bringing in Thornhill, Scott and Palsson (who can also play at centre half). They didn't cost much but Palsson was captain of Liverpool reserves - is that not enough pedigree to get into the Hibs team? Scott is a workhorse that has plenty of energy - he seems to like the physical side of the game and looks a decent buy. Don't know much about Thornhill but he's played 38 games for Nottm Forrest - most of them in the championship so he'll do for me.

Sodje is not the dream signing we hoped for but I'm sure he'll be an improvement on the likes of Nish and Trakys. He might not be a prolific goalscorer but he's a big lad that wont be bullied, and wont spend half the time on his er$e. A player like that might be ideal for Deek to feed off.

To boot we've shipped out Hogg, De Graaf, Currie, Bamba and Zemmama - the only 2 I'd be fussed about at all are Bamba and Zemmama. At the end of the day Bamba has been vying for a move for about a year and Zemmama has hardly kicked a ball in that time. No doubt they are both talented but IMO neither of them were going to re-sign and when the offers came in they wanted away - what do you do? Hang onto them and have them unhappy in a dressing room already full of low morale?

I think the board and the manager have performed well in this window and have done the best they can with whats been available and Im optimistic that we'll push on and get out of this mess we're currently in.

:flag::flag::flag:

Heckys Wheel
01-02-2011, 01:07 AM
Don't care what anybody says, the players that were at the club pre-window are better than our poosition suggests.

I don't know any of the new signings but for me, even if they are only of equal quality to what we have but buy into CC's culture at the club then they'll be able to dig us out of the hole the previous 'culture'* put us in.

*I have no idea what this culture is but it's a cancer that has slowly eaten away at us to the point that an expensive squad of players can't buy a goal, let alone a win.

KiddA
01-02-2011, 04:10 AM
Not a bad window but would be very happy if we picked up Webster too :agree:

Allant1981
01-02-2011, 04:29 AM
only time will tell if its been a good window or not, bringing in this many players in such a short time might not work out the way we want. It takes a team a few weeks to gel and by the end of the week we might be bottom of the league so the last thing we really need is for them to be taking ages to find their feet as a team, but on the plus side they are new faces and will hopefully bring something to the team that we have been lacking so far

berwickhibee
01-02-2011, 06:02 AM

spot on.

watched him a couple of times on liverpool tv and he has done well as a centre half.

Lucius Apuleius
01-02-2011, 06:37 AM
First thoughts? Yes I am happy. Six new players, a couple back from loan spells and Deek is still here. Now we just have to hope they can gel as a team.

:flag::flag:

Springbank
01-02-2011, 06:40 AM
This window has reaffirmed for me that our board are very good at one side of the transfer market (selling) but they are found wanting when it comes to the other side (the box office part).

It's no surprise we are in decline as a result.

I hope this is not the early 80s all over again.

But it looks an awful lot like it

broonie27
01-02-2011, 06:41 AM
I'm not impressed with Sodje TBH. Needed someone better than a converted centre-half IMHO. As for the rest, I don't see a match winner or leader in any of them and that's what we need. I hope to god I'm proved wrong though, I usually am.

GGTTH!

Septimus
01-02-2011, 07:02 AM
The primary aim of the transfer activity is simply to avoid relegation. If the club has done enough to achieve that, even by one point, it is enough for now.

By summer we will know what we have bought and the real building should commence.

Steve20
01-02-2011, 07:22 AM
I was happy to see the three midfielders brought in last week.

However, other than Riordan, who will score goals for us? Poor show that another striker wasn't brought in. We might survive, but we will struggle to put the ball in the net.

stokesmessiah
01-02-2011, 07:26 AM
I was happy to see the three midfielders brought in last week.

However, other than Riordan, who will score goals for us? Poor show that another striker wasn't brought in. We might survive, but we will struggle to put the ball in the net.

Eh there was !

Steve20
01-02-2011, 07:29 AM
Eh there was !

I said "another" striker. Sodje might do a job for us, but look at his scoring record. He isn't going to get that many. We needed a guy who could put the ball in the back of the net. However, just like the first half of the season, I fear that if Deeks isn't scoring then we won't be.

calumb
01-02-2011, 07:35 AM
I said "another" striker. Sodje might do a job for us, but look at his scoring record. He isn't going to get that many. We needed a guy who could put the ball in the back of the net. However, just like the first half of the season, I fear that if Deeks isn't scoring then we won't be.

If you look at his playing record he has barely played a full game in 3 years, he either comes on as a sub of goes off early.

DoonTheSlope
01-02-2011, 07:39 AM
No hope I am wrong, however no CH (leaking goals through the middle) and what appears to be journey man striker. Having said that we are where we are and it is important we stand up and support the team. If Hamilton win tonight we will be bottom. CC is the
man in charge lets get behind him.

truehibernian
01-02-2011, 07:47 AM
I think people are both over analysing and being a tad unrealistic financially.

It's been a good window for Hibs and we have concluded some good business IMHO.

The areas strengthened :

Goalkeeper - Stack always injured, Smith poor, Brown good but kicking poor......we wanted a commanding keeper and in a 6'5 highly rated Czech goalkeeper we seem to have one, at least physically. His record is also very good in the Czech league. His team don't concede many goals, a good sign. Tells the other keepers something too, which was necessary.

Right back - we have pretty much all been critical of this position and most have been not too full of praise for Michael Hart. Towell comes in and to be honest, looks hungry, eager to prove himself, and has pace and a terrific throw in his armoury - good signing

Midfield - again, our criticism has included the size issue, the lack of height and bite, lack of a ball winner with pace/athleticism, "Murray too slow" "Miller to cowardly" "no real drive" - we have energy and bite in Scott, composure and tackle in Palsson and a bit of dig in Thornhill it seems

Striker position - again, we need a striker, one who compliments Derek who we have managed to keep hold of......and Sodje looks physically fit, something we all moan about when especially describing Nish - he may not be prolific, but he looks to have the build and physique to annoy, harrass, chase and bully defenders, thus creating space for our other strikers Byrne, Duffy, Nish and Riordan (Trakys too).

An experienced central defender would have been terrific, but who knows, once the team gels and especially in midfield, we may create more and score more and relieve the pressure and build confidence.

All in all, if we look beyond the numbers and what we got in moneywise, we all need to remember that some of these players may have commanded the same salaries and perhaps a fee too.

A good, positive window IMHO :agree:

NORTHERNHIBBY
01-02-2011, 07:53 AM
Can't say I am overly happy. We needed a big CH and a goalscorer. Anything else would have been a bonus. Appears to me that we have got the bonus. Unless CC thinks this new keeper will be more dominant in the air, we have failed to fix a glaring error. Missed a chance to add 1,500 to 2,000 on Wednesday night.

hibbymark
01-02-2011, 07:53 AM
Im happy with the quantity we have brought in but until I see them with my own eyes i wont comment on the quality. Im still concerned that maybe we havent prioritised the areas that were needing addressed first but I think we trIed and were unable to do so. Like everyone else I would have liked Rooney or Salmon or Webster or all 3! But 5 new signings is almost half a team and will have a huge impact on our dressing room.Lets hope cc can gell them together a.s.a.p Cautiously optomistic... GGTTH

whiskyhibby
01-02-2011, 07:58 AM
i am not surprised at all ..they suck

You dont by any chance know Kiwi Doug of EEN fame?

Cabbage1875
01-02-2011, 08:00 AM

The areas strengthened :

Goalkeeper - Stack always injured, Smith poor, Brown good but kicking poor......we wanted a commanding keeper and in a 6'5 highly rated Czech goalkeeper we seem to have one, at least physically. His record is also very good in the Czech league. His team don't concede many goals, a good sign. Tells the other keepers something too, which was necessary.

Right back - we have pretty much all been critical of this position and most have been not too full of praise for Michael Hart. Towell comes in and to be honest, looks hungry, eager to prove himself, and has pace and a terrific throw in his armoury - good signing

Midfield - again, our criticism has included the size issue, the lack of height and bite, lack of a ball winner with pace/athleticism, "Murray too slow" "Miller to cowardly" "no real drive" - we have energy and bite in Scott, composure and tackle in Palsson and a bit of dig in Thornhill it seems

Striker position - again, we need a striker, one who compliments Derek who we have managed to keep hold of......and Sodje looks physically fit, something we all moan about when especially describing Nish - he may not be prolific, but he looks to have the build and physique to annoy, harrass, chase and bully defenders, thus creating space for our other strikers Byrne, Duffy, Nish and Riordan (Trakys too).

An experienced central defender would have been terrific, but who knows, once the team gels and especially in midfield, we may create more and score more and relieve the pressure and build confidence.

All in all, if we look beyond the numbers and what we got in moneywise, we all need to remember that some of these players may have commanded the same salaries and perhaps a fee too.

I usually agree with you to the nth degree, but I just feel that if nothing else the club have failed in making THAT signing that would have got the disillusioned fans back on side. I'm not knocking big Sodje as it happens I think he will do ok, but for the reason above alone I believe they have missed a trick. This time they really had to ensure that they meant business and at least in the Leigh Griffiths situation I am led to believe that it was issues this end that made the deal collapse.

I do agree though that whatever folk think about this window we need to get behind the lads now, before it's too late. Anything other than 3 points on Wednesday could be terminal.

Ferryhibby
01-02-2011, 08:04 AM
Only time will tell but think the 3 midfielders brought in will make the difference, obviously Rooney wanted too much or is lookin elsewhere, apart from that no other striker whos scoring goals is going to want to come and play for a team that is struggling in the relegation area so we have proven goalscorers in the team just get the bloody ball to them. IMO a big goalkeeper always gives a presence and some confidence to the defence, but the season starts now for us and we should be behind the team now, they need us more than ever.

The_Horde
01-02-2011, 08:08 AM

The areas strengthened :

Good post mate, totally agree. People writing off the new signings without even seeing them in action are pathetic and its these types of people who have drained the confidence from the team.

erin go bragh
01-02-2011, 08:14 AM
The midfielders look alright, but dont think any of the problems we have at the back and up front have been solved. Of course Im not going to write Sodje off but hes a bit of a journeyman whos never really been prolific.

Was expecting a big signing tbh, I know the windows not closed yet but we are in such a bad way thought the board would show a bit of ambition..
44 goals scored for port vale in 1 season[id say thats prolific] :greengrin
ggtth

Dinkydoo
01-02-2011, 08:17 AM
I'm reasonably happy.

Our midfield has been reshaped and looks much stronger - perhaps we'll start to see the best out of Miller and Murray now that they aren't surrounded by powderpuff players - and it will hopefully take some pressure off our defence.

Palsson can play CH and we've still got Stephens, Murray and Hanlon that can do a job thier.

Sodje, I'm not too excited about but hey if he can hold the ball up for Deeks and not fall on his arse every five minutes then he's better than what we alrerady have - we might just start to see the old R01rdan again. :not worth

There are obviously other reasons as to why we've secured Divis on loan - probably something to do with the fact that two of our keepers are out of contract at the end of the season - anyway, early signs from sources close to him look good; he can't be any worse than Smith.....can he?

All in all we've done really well considering it's only January and the real rebuilding will take place in the summer; CC must have put in a helluva lot of overtime considering we missed out on a few targets and still managed to get 6 new players (albeit, some on loan).

Am I delighted with this transer window? No.

But we are definately stronger than we were two weeks ago and I can only hope that we now have the quality to avoid relegation.

GGTTH :flag:

HFC 0-7
01-02-2011, 08:41 AM
44 goals scored for port vale in 1 season[id say thats prolific] :greengrin
ggtth

Where did you get that stat from? Sure its not 14 goals in 46 games for portvale?

Captain Trips
01-02-2011, 08:52 AM
On paper some of the new players dont fill me with confidence but Liam Miller on paper did and that hasnt worked as yet, We just do not know if these guys will do a job.

Past records can mean nothing at a new club, what for me is clear that most of the present team are wasters 6 replacements of those wasters cannot be a bad thing until we see them play, imo we were going down before these signings.

No manager will sign 6 players whom all work out lets hope he has most if them right.

truehibernian
01-02-2011, 08:53 AM
I usually agree with you to the nth degree, but I just feel that if nothing else the club have failed in making THAT signing that would have got the disillusioned fans back on side. I'm not knocking big Sodje as it happens I think he will do ok, but for the reason above alone I believe they have missed a trick. This time they really had to ensure that they meant business and at least in the Leigh Griffiths situation I am led to believe that it was issues this end that made the deal collapse.

I do agree though that whatever folk think about this window we need to get behind the lads now, before it's too late. Anything other than 3 points on Wednesday could be terminal.

I agree regards Leigh. He is certainly a goalscorer that we would have all liked to see in a Hibs jersey, similar to when Derek re-signed from Celtic. I think it would have given the fans a wee lift. But IIRC there were indiscipline issues when he was released the last time (someone will no doubt correct me), so who knows, those still at the club may have had longer more unforgiving memories......will happily stand corrected on that one though.

The good thing about the window is that there are still players just recently released, and who knows, if CC and DA get a CV sent to them from an agent, there may still be a wee player out there who could do a job. It's a horrible window to be honest......look at a team like Spurs, scrambling about at the last minute to get Adam for it to fail due to time issues........bizarre that they could let that happen but it does.

I just want us all to get behind the side and get us up that table, with the new boys getting our full support.

JimBHibees
01-02-2011, 09:56 AM
Reasonably happy.

We have improved the right back area and Booth has come into the side to improve the left back area.

People moan about us signing another keeper but we have to remember that 2 of the 3 we currently have are out of contract at the end of the season and i'm sure no one will be upset if we don't renew their contracts. If Divis is as good as some have suggested then it would have been madness not to sign him when he was available.

3 decent midfielders brought in. Palsson looked a very classy type who will improve as he settles into the side. Scott gives us an engine and a bit of fighting quality and Thornhill was well rated by most Forest fans.

Sodje i know nothing about although his scoring record isn't great. May be a decent player for the likes of Deek and Duffy to feed off though.

I would have liked a real proven SPL goalscorer and a centre half but you can't have everything. I feel we have done enough to stay up and with a few hungry young guys have started to look to the future. We have to remember we are in a hell of a mess and the rebuilding won't happen in 1 window. A few positive moves this window added to a bit more thorough surgery in the summer and we look like we could be heading in the right direction again.

I pretty much agree with that although as you say a centre half and younger type striker such as Rooney would have been good. There is a real youthful look to the team which I like and in Sodje we have exactly the sort of striker we have been screaming out for. He doesnt need to score loads of goals but hold the ball up well, get flick ons for others and defend from the front. I think we did need a goalie and again we have brought in a guy of physical presence. Personally hope he is a commanding dominant type who can oraganise the defence also.

Not perfect but a pretty good return overall and with still the option of bringing in others out of contract. It is also time for the likes of Deek, Duffy, etc to start putting in some performances also.

down-the-slope
01-02-2011, 09:58 AM
Are you happy with the window?

:agree: great view out mine.....would be a shame if I couldn't see it

Wilson
01-02-2011, 10:02 AM
Im unhappy.

I was licking the window when it slammed shut!

Are you happy with the window?

:agree: great view out mine.....would be a shame if I couldn't see it

blackpoolhibs
01-02-2011, 10:12 AM
I am apprehensive with the windows signings. I will just have to wait and see how they all perform, before making any judgment on these new lads.

It was clear we needed new faces, the midfield needed revamped, thats happened. We also needed a forward, we have one. I'd have liked a central defender, in fact probably two, thats not happened. We have to start picking up points, the team needs to gel quickly.

Jim44
01-02-2011, 10:19 AM
I think there is still every likelihood that we will be relegated because I don't see any improvement in the defence. I don't think either that we are capable of out-scoring any team in the SPL.

down-the-slope
01-02-2011, 10:31 AM
Im unhappy.

I was licking the window when it slammed shut!

Moral...don't look at the window too closely or you will get smacked in the Puss :greengrin

steakbake
01-02-2011, 10:37 AM

Bang on. We have folk harping on about signing a "name". By that they mean one of the various unrealistic "names" listed on hibs.net on a "who should we sign" greggs forum.

I am going to go on Wednesday and I hope our new look team will show us something a bit different. I am confident that they will.

Big90inOz
01-02-2011, 10:40 AM

The areas strengthened :

:agree:I think we are stronger in the fullback positions, it was great on Wednesday to see us challange in the middle instead of watching Snow White's mates watching the ball pass them by. As long as Sodje can stay on his feet, stay on side,jump and not get bullied by the defence he will improve us many times over up front. The Czech keeper just might command his box, wouldn't that be nice :agree:
i have to say I like the look of CC's signings so far ( albeit a short look).
Maybe just maybe he really was lumbered with a bunch of losers which he could do little about until now.

New Corrie
01-02-2011, 10:42 AM
This window has reaffirmed for me that our board are very good at one side of the transfer market (selling) but they are found wanting when it comes to the other side (the box office part).

It's no surprise we are in decline as a result.

I hope this is not the early 80s all over again.

But it looks an awful lot like it

Spot on. Duff Jimmy's freefall or Berties early 80's hell all over again.

Hibernia Na Eir
01-02-2011, 10:44 AM
the only windows that make me happy are the ones from "Playaway"

:greengrin

truehibernian
01-02-2011, 11:23 AM
the only windows that make me happy are the ones from "Playaway"

:greengrin

Liked that one......gave me an early morning chuckle and nostalgia trip all in one.

What about the presenter though......he was a right Cant :greengrin