PDA

View Full Version : Another Defeat - But I Actually Thought That Was Better

MB62
31-01-2011, 11:22 AM
A 3-0 hammering and in worst case scenarios, it might have been even bigger, but in saying that, in best case scenarios, we might even have sneaked a point from the game, although that would have been asking a LOT :greengrin

I felt all the new lads contributed more than we have been used to and given a wee bit time to settle, could prove to be very good signings for us.
What I felt let us down was constantly making the wrong choice of pass.
That, and obviously the fact we must have the worst centre half and centre forward in the SPL and beyond. I hear CC is hoping to make another two signings before the deadline tonight, please let them be one of each, PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEASE!.

Anyway, despite yesterday's result, I am ever so slightly more enthusiastic about the future and I might even pop along on Wednesday night.

aberhibsfc
31-01-2011, 11:26 AM
Agree, whilst midfield had more about it, it made our defensive and attacking issues more apparent.

Expecting Rain
31-01-2011, 11:27 AM
A 3-0 hammering and in worst case scenarios, it might have been even bigger, but in saying that, in best case scenarios, we might even have sneaked a point from the game, although that would have been asking a LOT :greengrin

I felt all the new lads contributed more than we have been used to and given a wee bit time to settle, could prove to be very good signings for us.
What I felt let us down was constantly making the wrong choice of pass.
That, and obviously the fact we must have the worst centre half and centre forward in the SPL and beyond. I hear CC is hoping to make another two signings before the deadline tonight, please them be one of each, PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEASE!.

Anyway, despite yesterday's result, I am ever so slightly more enthusiastic about the future and I might even pop along on Wednesday night.

I agree with you.

greenlex
31-01-2011, 11:29 AM
I agree too. That was never a 3-0 yesterday. The new guys will need time ti gel too. I just hope we have enough of it.

Sir David Gray
31-01-2011, 11:34 AM
There were a few positives to take out of the first half yesterday and if Galbraith and Miller had taken their chances, we could have gone in at half time on level terms. I don't think there was much between the sides in the first half.

However, once it went to 2-0 basically right at the start of the second half, we crumbled and the second half was largely a non-event from our point of view.

I know it's stating the obvious but we need to start scoring a goal or two in games, even if we don't win at the moment, a goal would give us such a lift as our long run without a goal is now starting to become headline news in all the media reports and newspaper articles.

It's becoming a massive burden.

greenlex
31-01-2011, 11:38 AM
There were a few positives to take out of the first half yesterday and if Galbraith and Miller had taken their chances, we could have gone in at half time on level terms. I don't think there was much between the sides in the first half.

However, once it went to 2-0 basically right at the start of the second half, we crumbled and the second half was largely a non-event from our point of view.

I know it's stating the obvious but we need to start scoring a goal or two in games, even if we don't win at the moment, a goal would give us such a lift as our long run without a goal is now starting to become headline news in all the media reports and newspaper articles.

If Galbraith and Millar had taken their chances we would have been 2-1 up at half time.

MB62
31-01-2011, 12:01 PM

It was the worse possible start to the half (obviously) that we could have had. I thought, one down but shooting down the way, we may have had a chance of grabbing a goal but, as you say, the 2nd knocked the stuffing out of us and the heads kind of went down after that for a while.

If we could play our best goalie.
I like the two full backs,
Sign a centre (Two would be better)
I Liked the new midfield
Give Duffy and Deeks (if he is still with us) a chance to form a partnership up front, I do feel they will score goals, then I think we be fine and start climbing this league.

blackpoolhibs
31-01-2011, 12:06 PM
I love it when we lose better, it gives me a warm glow pretty much like the ready break kids.

Sir David Gray
31-01-2011, 12:12 PM
If Galbraith and Millar had taken their chances we would have been 2-1 up at half time.

But Dundee Utd could have taken another chance in the first half and it would have been level. :wink:

I think one thing that we could agree on is that we were unlucky to be going in at half time on the losing side.

marinello59
31-01-2011, 12:13 PM
I love it when we lose better, it gives me a warm glow pretty much like the ready break kids.

Is there any need? Nothing wrong with pointing out a few positives despite the defeat is there?

Captain Trips
31-01-2011, 12:13 PM
If that is better yet we got pumped how much better will we need to be to win?

truehibernian
31-01-2011, 12:16 PM

Thing is, on chances, the first half was very open and both sides played some good stuff. Hibs looked suspect anytime the ball came into the box, but 3-3 would have been a fair reflection.

Quite pleased that even at 2-0 and 3-0, we plugged away, had possession and created a couple of good wee half chances. Heads never went fully down. Yes Utd took the foot off the gas, but it would have been easy for Hibs to crumble further IMHO.

Houston clearly told his players two things.......try and expose or pressure Booth, which worked, and also whip in balls into the box on top of our keeper......again, it worked, as Smith looked nervy and unwilling to commit. I think Calum really got to grips with his game though and he is a very very tidy footballer on the ball. He will be a superb player or us. Towell again I thought was superb and won his tackles, shackled Conway as best he could, and got forward to help Miller.

If Hibs get their noses in front in games, we will easily start winning. The team looks like it has characters who want to win and the new signings have added energy and a slicker football style. Scott looks like he doesn't accept any nonsense, gets stuck in too, and was nice on the ball going forward. Just his range of passing a couple of times let him down, but that will come.

Definitely more positive however the front line needs addressed badly, as does our goalkeeper situation.

Pretty Boy
31-01-2011, 12:17 PM

If we could tighten up a bit at the back and get a decent goalscorer in i'm sure we will play worse than that between now and the end of the season and win games.

Franck is God
31-01-2011, 12:20 PM
I thought we were better yesterday too and we could easily have taken the lead in the game but we lost simple goals again.

I hope that CC doesn't make loads of changes again for Wednesday as I'd like to see a bit of consistency of selection. I think that yesterdays performance would have been good enough to beat the sides around us in the SPL.

Dundee Utd finished well clear in third last year and won the cup, this year their results have been affected by injuries but they have played well throughout. Our result appears worse because of the dreadful run we're on but realistically even if we were on a good run losing at Tannadice would always be on the cards.

blackpoolhibs
31-01-2011, 12:26 PM
Is there any need? Nothing wrong with pointing out a few positives despite the defeat is there?

:agree: Aye you are right, just pissed of again at another defeat.

Andy74
31-01-2011, 12:37 PM

Give CC a couple of years and a few transfer windows and we could be right up there battling for fourth place. :wink:

blackpoolhibs
31-01-2011, 12:39 PM
Give CC a couple of years and a few transfer windows and we could be right up there battling for fourth place. :wink:

:tee hee: If he's lucky.

Captain Trips
31-01-2011, 12:41 PM

Aye in what league though :-)

MB62
31-01-2011, 02:50 PM

Quite a bit I would suggest, but that was a new midfield we had out there and the new lads will take time to gel and get to know each other. They don't have to much time for this to happen, but was impressed enough to see signs of possible improvement.
Don't forget, Tannadice is a difficult place to go and better Hibs side than this one have gone up there and been turned over convincingly.

We now have a new keeper and if we can sign a centre half (I would rather we did this than sign a striker as I feel we have the right strikers there if we play them) then, IMO, things will certainly be brighter in the coming months.

Danderhall Hibs
31-01-2011, 03:10 PM

I think it’ll be sooner than that – once he gets rid of the rest of the duds and signs more players like the ones he just has (ok that’s based on one viewing but I was encouraged) we’ll be ok. When we get there I don’t think he’ll be claiming to be fortunate/lucky like Yogi did when we were 3rd either.

Maybe then you’ll accept defeat and we’ll hear the end of your sniping about the manager?

greenlex
31-01-2011, 03:18 PM
I think it’ll be sooner than that – once he gets rid of the rest of the duds and signs more players like the ones he just has (ok that’s based on one viewing but I was encouraged) we’ll be ok. When we get there I don’t think he’ll be claiming to be fortunate/lucky like Yogi did when we were 3rd either.

Maybe then you’ll accept defeat and we’ll hear the end of your sniping about the manager?
Quote from Calderwood on teletext
"In the short -term, I'm going to have to accept there will be a few doubters and, in the long-term there won't be"
BBC also reporting the signing of Divis on loan.

Andy74
31-01-2011, 03:22 PM

I'm right behind the new manager, despite him being no improvement, and perhaps even worse results and performances wise, as its important we just get someone in and let them get on with it.

If indeed we can take 3rd place in future and couple it with every win we have being convincing and in a generally accepted Hibs style then yes, of course I'd say that moaning about things when we were 3rd and then eventually getting rid of Hughes would have been worth it. However long that takes. :wink:

Danderhall Hibs
31-01-2011, 03:42 PM
I'm right behind the new manager, despite him being no improvement, and perhaps even worse results and performances wise, as its important we just get someone in and let them get on with it.

If indeed we can take 3rd place in future and couple it with every win we have being convincing and in a generally accepted Hibs style then yes, of course I'd say that moaning about things when we were 3rd and then eventually getting rid of Hughes would have been worth it. However long that takes. :wink:

I backed Yogi as long as I could but it came to a point where it was indefensible. It does irritate me slightly that a couple of posters seem to be clinging on to their argument and are using CC to defend Yogi now. Based on CC’s last few signings v Yogi’s last few signings I know who I’d rather have as manager.

PeeJay
31-01-2011, 04:15 PM
I backed Yogi as long as I could but it came to a point where it was indefensible. It does irritate me slightly that a couple of posters seem to be clinging on to their argument and are using CC to defend Yogi now. Based on CC’s last few signings v Yogi’s last few signings I know who I’d rather have as manager.

Well based on results and league table standing I know who I would rather have - :rolleyes:

Anyway, I reckon Calderwood is counting on the stupid split to save us, as he reckons by the time that comes round he will have enough of his own players in and we will be able to finally face up to the might of Hamilton and St. Mirren and move away from bottom spot to keep us in the SPL - I'm feeling good already! Go CC! :greengrin

Danderhall Hibs
31-01-2011, 04:18 PM
Well based on results and league table standing I know who I would rather have - :rolleyes:

Where do you think we'd have been in the league if Yogi was still here and De Graff, Rankin, Hart were still the mainstay of our team?!

At least CC's spotted they're duds and is replacing them with better.

PeeJay
31-01-2011, 04:25 PM
Where do you think we'd have been in the league if Yogi was still here and De Graff, Rankin, Hart were still the mainstay of our team?!

At least CC's spotted they're duds and is replacing them with better.

Better duds? Only time will tell!
Who cares, just hope it all works out for us - Wednesday should be an interesting evening with almost half of Yogi's team gone, perhaps?

down the slope
31-01-2011, 04:32 PM
Even though the results have been terrible the attitude shown has been a lot better of late, so many times over the years Hibs have been chocolate soldiers when playing away but i can see a difference in the team already but we must start scoring a few goals or it means nothing. The new additions have made a difference but the usual suspects still remain-Nish Dickoh and Miller and i think we are running out of time as regards replacing them. A huge game on Wed which will be a measure of our chances of staying up.