PDA

View Full Version : Pat Nevin

Jim44
30-01-2011, 05:13 PM
According to him, our number one problem is lack of a goalscorer. "Put in Anthony Stokes, and they're probably middle of the table." Who wants to be middle of the table and have to put up with troublemakers like Stokes? :rolleyes:

Beefster
30-01-2011, 05:14 PM
According to him, our number one problem is lack of a goalscorer. "Put in Anthony Stokes, and they're probably middle of the table." Who wants to be middle of the table and have to put up with troublemakers like Stokes? :rolleyes:

We had to get rid of Stokes. The club was being damaged every day he was there.

Or something.

Jim44
30-01-2011, 05:22 PM
We had to get rid of Stokes. The club was being damaged every day he was there.Or something.

Thank God we're on the road to recovery. :greengrin

fatbloke
30-01-2011, 05:24 PM
We had to get rid of Stokes. The club was being damaged every day he was there.

Or something.

Disnae seem to harming the smellies.

Baader
30-01-2011, 06:23 PM
The Stokes sale was utter nonsense. Why, if it was deemed he should go and Celtic had been sniffing around, did we then decide to sell him at practically the 11th hour on the last day of the transfer window? I know we brought in Duffy but surely this gave the manager limited options?

An appalling piece of business.

chrisski33
30-01-2011, 06:43 PM
id rather be mid table than getting relegated!

GreenCastle
30-01-2011, 06:47 PM

:devil:

Nevin likes Hibs and wants us to do well.

Trouble maker or not - Stokes scored goals - something we haven't done for a while...

CB_NO3
30-01-2011, 06:53 PM
Its not rocket science guys. Stokes had an agreement with the club saying if a bigger club comes in for him, he should get the chance to talk to them. Thats what happened and the rest is history.

Jim44
30-01-2011, 07:35 PM

I think the irony got lost somewhere, chrisski.

Arch Stanton
30-01-2011, 07:51 PM
I think the irony got lost somewhere, chrisski.

Not to worry chrisski, the irony was lost on me too.

However, having someone who could grab goals even if the team was playing crap is a mixed blessing in my book - especially when Stokes was still with us when our slump started last Feb.

SMAXXA
30-01-2011, 10:27 PM

I'd settle for that in a heart beat to be fair p.s pne player doesnt make a team

ScottB
30-01-2011, 10:34 PM
Let's not forget we had Stokes in the team for the second half of last season and we were still god awful.

I think our problems are far more than just the absence of any one player, as a collective group they have no confidence and no belief, in themselves or each other. The only solution for me is to try and replace as many of the starting 11 as we can before the window closes and hope the arrival of the new guys can carry us through until we can fully rebuild the side in the summer. I think there's no coming back for the vast majority of the players we had at the start of this season at the club, will be best for all involved for them to leave asap.

New Corrie
30-01-2011, 10:36 PM
What team does Pat support this week?

HFC 0-7
30-01-2011, 10:39 PM
Let's not forget we had Stokes in the team for the second half of last season and we were still god awful.

I think our problems are far more than just the absence of any one player, as a collective group they have no confidence and no belief, in themselves or each other. The only solution for me is to try and replace as many of the starting 11 as we can before the window closes and hope the arrival of the new guys can carry us through until we can fully rebuild the side in the summer. I think there's no coming back for the vast majority of the players we had at the start of this season at the club, will be best for all involved for them to leave asap.

I agree but getting rid of the top goalscorer when this is happening is a bad decision IMO. Yes we were getting beat and not playing well but we still managed to score goals. Now we are getting beat and not playing well and cant score goals. I good striker is what every team needs, even the Chelsea's, Man utd's and barcelona's play rank rotten, but for a good striker they get results.

Shrekko
30-01-2011, 10:40 PM
Hibs, but he's got a soft spot for Celtic. Just like the rest of us on here.

HUTCHYHIBBY
30-01-2011, 10:40 PM
I'd settle for that in a heart beat to be fair p.s pne player doesnt make a team

What Preston player are we after? ;-)

Removed
30-01-2011, 10:41 PM

Eh?

Hope that's either sarcasm, fishing or just cos it's a reply to Corrie Greens :dunno:

Shrekko
30-01-2011, 10:42 PM
Eh?

Hope that's either sarcasm or fishing cos I'm biting

That one was just for Corrie :wink:

Mainly sarcasm :greengrin

Removed
30-01-2011, 10:45 PM

You were too quick, penny dropped and I edited :greengrin

:troll:

J-C
30-01-2011, 10:46 PM

My lad sits beside him in the East, he goes because his son is Hibs daft, due to this he has a soft spot for us.

New Corrie
30-01-2011, 10:53 PM

Only mainly?:wink:

joebakerforever
30-01-2011, 10:58 PM
Pat Nevin on the tv today reckoned that the main problem with Hibs, was not the succession of Managers we have had, but with the Board in continually not reinvesting a significant chunk of the transfer income we have received over recent times in the playing side.

OK a few crumbs were given to the various managers to recruit with and this resulted in quite a few duds being brought in.

But if you're expected to buy in Poundstretcher rather than Harvey Nick's what chance do you have of getting quality :cool2:

since90plustwo
30-01-2011, 11:00 PM
Goals win you games and earn you points, we are creating a few chances atm but have noone to finish them off. i dont think we would be i this mess if stokes was here, true that one man doesnt make a team, but he scored a hell of alot important goals last year

J-C
30-01-2011, 11:06 PM
Pat Nevin on the tv today reckoned that the main problem with Hibs, was not the succession of Managers we have had, but with the Board in continually not reinvesting a significant chunk of the transfer income we have received over recent times in the playing side.

OK a few crumbs were given to the various managers to recruit with and this resulted in quite a few duds being brought in.

But if you're expected to buy in Poundstetcher rather than Harvey Nick's what chance do you have of getting quality :cool2:

As was seen last year with Stokes, managed to get him for pennies but paid him a decent wage, only to be sold for £1m, reinvesting in an average Duffy and a worse Trakys.

ScottB
30-01-2011, 11:16 PM

But if you're expected to buy in Poundstetcher rather than Harvey Nick's what chance do you have of getting quality :cool2:

I think somewhere between he two. Successive managers have failed to spend their budget wisely, if it's true that we have spent £3million on players (and I don't see why it wouldn't be), the funds have clearly been there to secure decent quality players.

basehibby
30-01-2011, 11:26 PM

I agree with this POV. The policy of thrift in the transfer market - of consistently spending a fraction of transfer income on bolstering the squad - has been carried out too consistently for too long IMO.

What worries me most is that even in the midst of one of the worst runs of form in our club's history this trend shows no sign of abating. Stokes, Bamba and Zemama - three of our top performers regardless of issues with contracts or discipline - have all departed this season with fees of c £1.6M coming in the other direction. Thus far this window a fraction of that sum has been spent on boosting a playing squad and fan base deperately in need of a shot in the arm.

Worrying times indeed and I sincerely hope CC/RP have something up their sleeves to remedy this situation over the next 24 hours.

Iain G
31-01-2011, 12:15 AM
The fault with this reasoning is that we do have 2 (well) proven SPL goalscorers in Riordan and Nish, and neither of them are finding the back of the bleeding net!

What we need is a commanding no nonsense centre back and a big thumping great oak tree of a centreforward to batter the opposition and win the ball up for said goalscorers.

Oh and a winger who can cross a ball too would be nice :agree:

sesoim
31-01-2011, 12:24 AM

The thing is, how much have all the other SPL teams outside of the Old Firm and Hearts paid in signing fees and wages over the last few years? Yes, we should have spent more money, especially when Stokes went, but we should still be doing a lot better than what we are with the budget we have. We should still be about 4th. The main reason we aren't is because our managers have been poor. And Petrie is to blame for appointing them.

Kaiser1962
31-01-2011, 08:36 AM
Its not rocket science guys. Stokes had an agreement with the club saying if a bigger club comes in for him, he should get the chance to talk to them. Thats what happened and the rest is history.

Dont let a trifling thing like this get in the way of a good Hibs-kicking session. :rolleyes:

robinp
31-01-2011, 08:50 AM

:top marks

Yes, we are all Sellic minded. :cool2:

blackpoolhibs
31-01-2011, 08:56 AM

But if you're expected to buy in Poundstretcher rather than Harvey Nick's what chance do you have of getting quality :cool2:

Each manager we have is backed, in fact apart from the obvious, nobody has spent more than us in years. Its down to the managers the board pick to spend the money much much better than they have.

Kaiser1962
31-01-2011, 09:10 AM

I think to be fair, he said there was problems at all levels and while he mentioned investment I dont think he said it was the main problem. Alternatively as the former Chief Exec of Motherwell he should basically, on matters financial at least, shut the f#ck up.

I am at a loss to understand who we should have been signing and what our espectations are. The reality is forty years ago we were jousting with giants in europe and nowadays, thanks in the main to TV money, we are struggling to match the wages of lower English league 1. I think there are some who have problems reconciling this fact.

J-C
31-01-2011, 09:35 AM
Each manager we have is backed, in fact apart from the obvious, nobody has spent more than us in years. Its down to the managers the board pick to spend the money much much better than they have.

I think G he is saying we have spent money on crap, rather than investing in players of a similar quality to the ones gone. Little nuggets that were unearthed by previous managers haven't materialised recently, JC, MIxu and Yogi signing players not of the quality. Yes we've spent a bit more than other clubs but how many £50-100,000 players do we have to sign to realise that this price of player is 10 a penny and no better than we have, £300-600,000 is nearer the mark for a better quality for us.

I've said it before, better spending the money on 4-5 good decent players than spending on 10 decidely average ones.

J-C
31-01-2011, 09:40 AM
I think to be fair, he said there was problems at all levels and while he mentioned investment I dont think he said it was the main problem. Alternatively as the former Chief Exec of Motherwell he should basically, on matters financial at least, shut the f#ck up.

I am at a loss to understand who we should have been signing and what our espectations are. The reality is forty years ago we were jousting with giants in europe and nowadays, thanks in the main to TV money, we are struggling to match the wages of lower English league 1. I think there are some who have problems reconciling this fact.

I spoke to Pat about this and although he was Cheif ex at Motherwell, others within the club were squandering money from the club, he kept them under budget during his tenure, he was very annoyed about it at the time.

Players of the calibre of the players you are describing in your last paragraph, they're the ones to be signing.

blackpoolhibs
31-01-2011, 09:52 AM
I think G he is saying we have spent money on crap, rather than investing in players of a similar quality to the ones gone. Little nuggets that were unearthed by previous managers haven't materialised recently, JC, MIxu and Yogi signing players not of the quality. Yes we've spent a bit more than other clubs but how many £50-100,000 players do we have to sign to realise that this price of player is 10 a penny and no better than we have, £300-600,000 is nearer the mark for a better quality for us.

I've said it before, better spending the money on 4-5 good decent players than spending on 10 decidely average ones.

Spending more money than the rest does not guarantee success, nobody and i mean nobody above us have done this, bar the obvious, and we wont be doing that if this window is anything to go by.

£80k, 2 free's and a loan. You have to ask yourself why we cant with our spending power not be at least 5th? Imo its completely down to successive managers poor purchases, not because we don't spend £600k on new players.

J-C
31-01-2011, 09:57 AM
Spending more money than the rest does not guarantee success, nobody and i mean nobody above us have done this, bar the obvious, and we wont be doing that if this window is anything to go by.

£80k, 2 free's and a loan. You have to ask yourself why we cant with our spending power not be at least 5th? Imo its completely down to successive managers poor purchases, not because we don't spend £600k on new players.

That's what I'm saying G, pay peanuts you get rubbish, the past 3 managers have not used any monies given wisely, apart from a couple of nuggets like Sproule, Bouzy etc the rest llike Keenan, Zarabe etc have been pants.

blackpoolhibs
31-01-2011, 10:05 AM
That's what I'm saying G, pay peanuts you get rubbish, the past 3 managers have not used any monies given wisely, apart from a couple of nuggets like Sproule, Bouzy etc the rest llike Keenan, Zarabe etc have been pants.

I still disagree though, our wages are better than most, we do pay transfer fee's, nobody else does, and we still fail. Would you trust the last few managers with big money? I know i wouldn't.