PDA

View Full Version : Calderwood Body Language

Gala Foxes
30-01-2011, 05:10 PM
Hope his chat is better than his body language - he looks like a man with no plans,no strategy & no motivation/inspiration

Jim44
30-01-2011, 05:20 PM
In complete contrast I looked at Stuart McCall today. He was lively, looked involved and got reactions from his players. Motherwell are mid table and nothing special but you can see that they have grit, passion and determination. Their goal was a prime example of what these qualities can achieve.

Gala Foxes
30-01-2011, 05:32 PM
In complete contrast I looked at Stuart McCall today. He was lively, looked involved and got reactions from his players. Motherwell are mid table and nothing special but you can see that they have grit, passion and determination. Their goal was a prime example of what these qualities can achieve.

totally agreed - Calderwood looks like " a dead man walking" - you see him on the bench with passengers like Rankin & Duffy sitting giggling behind him - crisis ? What crisis ?

blackpoolhibs
30-01-2011, 06:14 PM
All the charisma of a wet fish. Well done Rod, you have excelled yourself this time.:rolleyes: :bitchy::yawn::yawn::yawn::yawn:

DH1875
30-01-2011, 06:24 PM

Can I just point out that when we were looking I put McCall's name forward as our new manager and NO one else on here agreed with me. Hey ho time will tell.
As for CC'S Body language, what ducking body body language. You'll find more in a freaking morgue.

Arch Stanton
30-01-2011, 06:27 PM

It follows from you say then that impassive managers can't be any good - you must realise that is rubbish, or don't you watch big EPL and Champions League games?

CC was talking with Duffy and Byrne for a good few minutes before they came on and both were listening intently - something you rarely see these days as subs are usually too anxious to get on with the game. For me that is every bit as telling as your observation of Stuart McCall.

Beefster
30-01-2011, 06:28 PM
I see we've reached the same stage with Calderwood that we did with Hughes. We're criticising his speech, look, behaviour, body language, fingernails, shoes and dress sense. All of which have absolutely **** all to do with his ability to turn around a football team.

Pathetic.

RMQ1967
30-01-2011, 06:32 PM
totally agreed - Calderwood looks like " a dead man walking" - you see him on the bench with passengers like Rankin & Duffy sitting giggling behind him - crisis ? What crisis ?

I really don't see what jumping around like a looney on the touchline achieves. All the dramatics in world won't help if in a split second the defender gets on the wrong side of his man or doesn't bother to track the striker into the box at all. It might make you think he cares more but really - it's a waste of energy.

Rather than a dead man walking I think CC has the look of a guy who's inwardly raging at the incompetence he sees & knows exactly what's required.

It's a credit to him that he has the class to keep his emotions in check when being wound up by interviewers & not to say what he really thinks about some of our "players".

Interesting what you say about Rankin & co. I watched the full Rangers game a couple of days ago & Rankin as one of our "senior" players took no responsibility at all - pass backwards every time - never attempted to go past a man - hid whenever he could.

I reckon he can't wait until most of these guys are away from our club.

blackpoolhibs
30-01-2011, 06:37 PM
I really don't see what jumping around like a looney on the touchline achieves. All the dramatics in world won't help if in a split second the defender gets on the wrong side of his man or doesn't bother to track the striker into the box at all. It might make you think he cares more but really - it's a waste of energy.

Rather than a dead man walking I think CC has the look of a guy who's inwardly raging at the incompetence he sees & knows exactly what's required.

It's a credit to him that he has the class to keep his emotions in check when being wound up by interviewers & not to say what he really thinks about some of our "players".

Interesting what you say about Rankin & co. I watched the full Rangers game a couple of days ago & Rankin as one of our "senior" players took no responsibility at all - pass backwards every time - never attempted to go past a man - hid whenever he could.

I agree, and the likes of McLeish or Mowbray never really subscibed to that way of managing either. But what they did do was inspire, they inspired the fans and the team. From a fans point of view, they said the right things but had every fan united in one goal, and that lifted the club. Calderwood might inspire the players, i dont know, but he sure as hell does nothing for me as a fan.

Nuitdelune
30-01-2011, 06:39 PM

I agree and Tony never used to jump about screeching either

IWasThere2016
30-01-2011, 06:40 PM
I see we've reached the same stage with Calderwood that we did with Hughes. We're criticising his speech, look, behaviour, body language, fingernails, shoes and dress sense. All of which have absolutely **** all to do with his ability to turn around a football team.

Pathetic.

:agree: I'd happily compare CC's three signings to Yogi's last 3 ..

greenlex
30-01-2011, 06:44 PM
:agree: I'd happily compare CC's three signings to Yogi's last 3 ..

Me too.
Another defeat and another we should have had a different manager thread.

Arch Stanton
30-01-2011, 06:51 PM
Since this thread is purportedly about body language then I thought I would make a point or two on the subject.

The fact that Kevin Keegan was out of his depth as a manager wasn't just evidenced by his tantrum against Fergie - it could also be seen by his tendency to be standing away from play and his chin buried in his jacket.

Another manager who displayed this body language was Frank Sauzee who took an even more passive position.

The fact that CC stands to the fore of the technical area and he is facing play head on shows a very positive body language - sorry to disappoint you guys, nice try though!

HibsMax
30-01-2011, 06:54 PM

Pathetic.
Agreed. I assume that Calderwood would still have the backing of these fans if he just jumped around a little more.

DH1875
30-01-2011, 06:55 PM
Since this thread is purportedly about body language then I thought I would make a point or two on the subject.

The fact that Kevin Keegan was out of his depth as a manager wasn't just evidenced by his tantrum against Fergie - it could also be seen by his tendency to be standing away from play and his chin buried in his jacket.

Another manager who displayed this body language was Frank Sauzee who took an even more passive position.

The fact that CC stands to the fore of the technical area and he is facing play head on shows a very positive body language - sorry to disappoint you guys, nice try though!

Erm... all I got to say to that is Steve McClaren when he was England manager
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQUJ_FGx57EFdEqn0HA5LGQKy5Y6VqTg GnsJeNjgxMpQBqxEIFq

remember that :faf::faf::faf:.

RMQ1967
30-01-2011, 06:58 PM
I agree, and the likes of McLeish or Mowbray never really subscibed to that way of managing either. But what they did do was inspire, they inspired the fans and the team. From a fans point of view, they said the right things but had every fan united in one goal, and that lifted the club. Calderwood might inspire the players, i dont know, but he sure as hell does nothing for me as a fan.

Yes but people need to appreciate we are in a really precarious position. We're going to unload 15 substandard players at the end of the season.

If he says what he really thinks about them (same as the rest of us think) & these guys just pack up their bags & don't try a leg then we definately are doomed.
Similarly if he doesn't try to keep them focussed & positive then we've an even bigger problem than we have now.
This is a very very delicate situation & I think he's handling it really well.

Early yet but it looks like he knows how to pick a player & we should at least give him time to get some of his own guys bedded in before judging his ability to manage a football club.

JimBHibees
30-01-2011, 07:04 PM
Agreed. I assume that Calderwood would still have the backing of these fans if he just jumped around a little more.

Yep Yogi jumped about alot and screamed incessantly from the touchline which was very successful. I am content with CC as he seems to have a detached and cool manner which I think is required in a manager. Thought his signings looked promising today and that we need a couple of experienced bods plus a bit of luck to get us going.

blackpoolhibs
30-01-2011, 07:09 PM
Yes but people need to appreciate we are in a really precarious position. We're going to unload 15 substandard players at the end of the season.

If he says what he really thinks about them (same as the rest of us think) & these guys just pack up their bags & don't try a leg then we definately are doomed.
Similarly if he doesn't try to keep them focussed & positive then we've an even bigger problem than we have now.

Early yet but it looks like he knows how to pick a player & we should at least give him time to get some of his own guys bedded in before judging his ability to manage a football club.

We were in a more precarious position when McLeish arrived, yet he managed to improve us ever so slightly and lifted the whole club, and we just failed to be relegated. We are now easier to beat, and don't look like scoring at all? No inspiration, no charisma, no faith. Its not looking good imo.

Hibs Class
30-01-2011, 07:11 PM

Pathetic.

:agree: If we wanted a manager with expressive body language we whould have gone for Louis Spence. Personally I'd rather have a manager who might know what he's talking about, and I'd rather have CC than e.g. Neil Lennon.

blackpoolhibs
30-01-2011, 07:12 PM
:agree: If we wanted a manager with expressive body language we whould have gone for Louis Spence. Personally I'd rather have a manager who might know what he's talking about, and I'd rather have CC than e.g. Neil Lennon.

:faf::faf: imagine that. :greengrin

HibsMax
30-01-2011, 07:13 PM
We were in a more precarious position when McLeish arrived, yet he managed to improve us ever so slightly and lifted the whole club, and we just failed to be relegated. We are now easier to beat, and don't look like scoring at all? No inspiration, no charisma, no faith. Its not looking good imo.
What you say might all be very reasonable but you've gone slightly off the tracks here. What has any of this got to do with CC's body language which is what the OP is related to?

easier to beat? than when? When Yogi was in charge?
No inspiration - where are you getting that from?
No charisma - like that's important.
No faith - speak for yourself, please.

hibs0666
30-01-2011, 07:15 PM

Dont feel bad about it. You just hang in there until we're winning and then you can get behind the manager.

blackpoolhibs
30-01-2011, 07:16 PM
What you say might all be very reasonable but you've gone slightly off the tracks here. What has any of this got to do with CC's body language which is what the OP is related to?

easier to beat? than when? When Yogi was in charge?
No inspiration - where are you getting that from?
No charisma - like that's important.
No faith - speak for yourself, please.

I think we are easier to beat than when Yogi was in charge.
He does nothing to inspire me.
I think he has the charisma of a toblerone
I have no faith in him.

That better?

blackpoolhibs
30-01-2011, 07:17 PM
Dont feel bad about it. You just hang in there until we're winning and then you can get behind the manager.

Can he hurry up please, i don't want them games in the 1st division.

crash
30-01-2011, 07:20 PM

Pathetic.

Correct, its results that count.......oh wait a minute.

HibsMax
30-01-2011, 07:20 PM
I think we are easier to beat than when Yogi was in charge.
He does nothing to inspire me.
I think he has the charisma of a toblerone
I have no faith in him.

That better?

Yes. :)

I am inspired. He's had very little to work with so far and by all accounts his dips into the transfer market look to be promising. If he signed a group of huddies then I would think differently. I didn't see the new guys play but there are plenty of good things written about them on here already.

I don't care how charismatic he appears. Charisma does not equal talent or success. I've met some very uncharismatic but very smart people.

I do have faith in him. For now. All I've wanted since he was appointed was the opportunity to start building HIS team. He's only just started the process. Let's get out of this window and see where we are. Then let's see what he can do with his new signings. If his new signings s*** the bed, then it's time for a rethink.

hibs0666
30-01-2011, 07:21 PM
Can he hurry up please, i don't want them games in the 1st division.

Fortunately, Calderwood doesn't do panic. He'll get there and we'll be fine. :thumbsup:

hibsbollah
30-01-2011, 07:21 PM
Hope his chat is better than his body language - he looks like a man with no plans,no strategy & no motivation/inspiration

I don't really buy this. How can you judge from a man's body language whether he has 'plans/'strategy' or not?:confused: Some managers are exuberant on the touchline, some are reserved. Its no evidence of whether theyre good or bad or indifferent.

Mon Dieu4
30-01-2011, 07:25 PM

Aye but he would be sure to stiffen up our back four, he is a big fan of Dickoh I hear :agree:

Gala Foxes
30-01-2011, 07:44 PM
I don't really buy this. How can you judge from a man's body language whether he has 'plans/'strategy' or not?:confused: Some managers are exuberant on the touchline, some are reserved. Its no evidence of whether theyre good or bad or indifferent.

do you take any confidence from post match interviews to date, all but 2 wins and 1 draw, after defeats ?

hibsbollah
30-01-2011, 07:48 PM
do you take any confidence from post match interviews to date, all but 2 wins and 1 draw, after defeats ?

Not really, but he could serenade Chick Young with old Neil Sedaka numbers if he saw fit, it wouldnt really bother me, as long as he gets them playing properly.

nortonhibby
30-01-2011, 07:57 PM

so he accepts defeat well :confused: sorry but i dont and the majority off my fellow Hibees dont either.

His record gets worse as the weeks go by, but all we get is he needs time:confused: how many more defeats before the time runs out because a lot of the hibees i know are at breaking point.

Billy Whizz
30-01-2011, 07:57 PM

Pathetic.

Agree and don't get me started!
We need everyone to pull together at this tense moment. What do we get, criticism after criticism on every point about Hibs. I was at the game today and fans were having a go at some players from the 1st minute. Some so called Hibs fan even shouted at Smith for the 2nd goal when it was nothing to do with him.
Let's get real. We're in a relegation battle and although we are all frustrated, we need to pull together and get behind the full Hibernian Management and players right now.

nortonhibby
30-01-2011, 08:00 PM
We need everyone to pull together at this tense moment. What do we get, criticism after criticism on every point about Hibs. I was at the game today and fans were having a go at some players from the 1st minute. Some so called Hibs fan even shouted at Smith for the 2nd goal when it was nothing to do with him.
Let's get real. We're in a relegation battle and although we are all frustrated, we need to pull together and get behind the full Hibernian Management and players right now.

how do we do that ? happy clap them as they walk off the pitch after a 3-0 defeat:confused:

Billy Whizz
30-01-2011, 08:06 PM
how do we do that ? happy clap them as they walk off the pitch after a 3-0 defeat:confused:

That's quite ridiculous. You obviously didn't read my post.

Arch Stanton
30-01-2011, 08:10 PM
so he accepts defeat well :confused: sorry but i dont and the majority off my fellow Hibees dont either.

His record gets worse as the weeks go by, but all we get is he needs time:confused: how many more defeats before the time runs out because a lot of the hibees i know are at breaking point.

I don't think he accepts defeat well.

If I thought that he accepts defeat well I'd say that I thought he accepts defeat well.

But I don't think he accepts defeat well and at no time did I say I thought he accepts defeat well.

Maybe, just maybe, there would be fewer Hibees at breaking point if they were just a little bit more rational about things.

sheesh

nortonhibby
30-01-2011, 08:14 PM
That's quite ridiculous. You obviously didn't read my post.

Apologies i am just radgeing at the moment after todays result.:flag:

Billy Whizz
30-01-2011, 08:16 PM
Apologies i am just radgeing at the moment after todays result.:flag:

Me too. Apologies accepted. It's how we're all feeling just now.

ScottB
30-01-2011, 09:11 PM
This on the BBC text feed today concerned me greatly...

'1429: The look on Colin Calderwood's face when that second goal went in said it all. He looked like he was mentally packing his case and booking a flight.'

Maybe it's just how he deals with things on the surface, we don't see how he is in the dressing room after all, but still sounds concerning to me. I guess all we can do at this stage is hope...

Arch Stanton
30-01-2011, 09:22 PM
This on the BBC text feed today concerned me greatly...

'1429: The look on Colin Calderwood's face when that second goal went in said it all. He looked like he was mentally packing his case and booking a flight.'

Maybe it's just how he deals with things on the surface, we don't see how he is in the dressing room after all, but still sounds concerning to me. I guess all we can do at this stage is hope...

I really don't think you should concern yourself greatly - the punters in the stands who were mentally getting back into their car and driving home probably had the exact same look on their faces. If he wasn't feeling any pain or anguish I'd be worried.

lEXO
30-01-2011, 09:32 PM

Well said. :agree:

ScottB
30-01-2011, 09:33 PM
I really don't think you should concern yourself greatly - the punters in the stands who were mentally getting back into their car and driving home probably had the exact same look on their faces. If he wasn't feeling any pain or anguish I'd be worried.

I don't want him to look like he's given up and wants to head for the hills though! I'd prefer to see him screaming for blood!

sesoim
31-01-2011, 01:04 AM

Pathetic.

No it isn't pathetic. It is VERY relevant. The way he comes across, it amazes me that Petrie was impressed enough to offer him a job. He already had a reputation for being dull and unimaginative at his previous clubs, both in terms of his teams and mannerisms. That ultimately led to Notts Forest sacking him and appointing a guy with the completely opposite personality (Billy Davies), who has also, as it happens, taken them from likely relegation under CC to likely promotion under him.

sesoim
31-01-2011, 01:09 AM

Out of his depth as a manager? Fair enough he was rubbish for England, but did he ever do a bad job elsewhere?

sesoim
31-01-2011, 01:16 AM

:faf: Yes, his handling of the team is really getting us results.

Captain Trips
31-01-2011, 01:17 AM
No it isn't pathetic. It is VERY relevant. The way he comes across, it amazes me that Petrie was impressed enough to offer him a job. He already had a reputation for being dull and unimaginative at his previous clubs, both in terms of his teams and mannerisms. That ultimately led to Notts Forest sacking him and appointing a guy with the completely opposite personality (Billy Davies), who has also, as it happens, taken them from likely relegation under CC to likely promotion under him.

I said about 6 weeks ago I cannot listen to him, I wonder as you say if this has an affect in dressing room. I would never say that me not liking how manager speaks would have any bearing on ability.

sesoim
31-01-2011, 01:19 AM
I don't want him to look like he's given up and wants to head for the hills though! I'd prefer to see him screaming for blood!

:agree: I can't help feel that if the manager looks like he isn't that bothered, then the team will end up playing like they aren't bothered.

Beefster
31-01-2011, 07:05 AM

Ever ever spoken to the man? Ever seen him give a team talk? Ever seen him coach? How do you know that his press interviews are an indication of how he is everywhere else?

Being dull and unimaginative in his mannerisms was a contributing factor to his sacking at Forest? Not to be rude but what utter pish.

steakbake
31-01-2011, 07:46 AM
Im glad we have so many body language and motivation experts represented on the boards. Without their wisdom, i wouldnt know what to think about Hibs just now.

Danderhall Hibs
31-01-2011, 07:49 AM

Pathetic.

:agree: It is.

Me too.
Another defeat and another we should have had a different manager thread.

Panic merchants.

, i dont know, but he sure as hell does nothing for me as a fan.

Isn't that more to do with you still trying to win face back after you backed Yogi to the hilt though?

how do we do that ? happy clap them as they walk off the pitch after a 3-0 defeat

No you should run around waving your arms in the air shouting "we're going to get relegated, we're going to get relegated."

:panic: :panic: :panic: :panic: :panic: :panic: :panic: :panic: :panic:

Jim44
31-01-2011, 08:17 AM
I said about 6 weeks ago I cannot listen to him, I wonder as you say if this has an affect in dressing room. I would never say that me not liking how manager speaks would have any bearing on ability.

If the way you speak can have a serious effect how come the Jambos are doing so well with FJK who must have the most boring and featureless voice in sport?

sahib
31-01-2011, 08:20 AM
If the way you speak can have a serious effect how come the Jambos are doing so well with FJK who must have the most boring and featureless voice in sport?

We must make sure our next manager, as well as having all the FIFA badges, has also been to RADA.

Kaiser1962
31-01-2011, 08:23 AM
Spot on. He is at the edge of the field for all to see, head up. His "dullness" is probably down to his Stranraer accent which can appear just that. He has shown that he will change the team and drop players who dont toe the line, that is not the actions of a man with no confidence or fearful for his position.
He was never the most talented footballer, or the biggest centre half, but he reached to very top of his profession through hard work and determination.
Given the changes he's made to personnell it looks like his public utterances will bear very little similarity to what he's saying in private.

Expecting Rain
31-01-2011, 09:41 AM
Yep Yogi jumped about alot and screamed incessantly from the touchline which was very successful. I am content with CC as he seems to have a detached and cool manner which I think is required in a manager. Thought his signings looked promising today and that we need a couple of experienced bods plus a bit of luck to get us going.

Couldn`t agree more.

jdships
31-01-2011, 09:47 AM

Pathetic.

Absolutely right !
The only thing that hasn't been commented on is wether he picks his nose or scratches his a...e
:blah:

Wilson
31-01-2011, 10:19 AM
Absolutely right !
The only thing that hasn't been commented on is wether he picks his nose or scratches his a...e
:blah:

Neither or he wouldn't need Derek Adams.

Captain Trips
31-01-2011, 10:36 AM

I never said it did have a bearing only said it might which of course is here ti debate.

steakbake
31-01-2011, 10:36 AM
We must make sure our next manager, as well as having all the FIFA badges, has also been to RADA.

I'd like it if he could do interviews in various different regional accents. Northern Irish if he's cross, West Country if he's being light hearted and Welsh when he's talking about transfer plans.

Joe Baker II
31-01-2011, 11:01 AM
Ever ever spoken to the man? Ever seen him give a team talk? Ever seen him coach? How do you know that his press interviews are an indication of how he is everywhere else?

Being dull and unimaginative in his mannerisms was a contributing factor to his sacking at Forest? Not to be rude but what utter pish.

I know Petrie is the problem not CC, but this just reads as a "lets defend whoever the manager of our club is" post that too many fans had in the Williamson era, which helped prevent us getting rid of him earlier than we did.

As above problems at Hibs preceded CC but he has clearly fails his first test as he cannot make any difference to an inherited bunch of players, one has to question the merit of giving him time "to get his own team" as that is so often used to give failures longer than they should otherwise get.

JimBHibees
31-01-2011, 01:35 PM
Jeezo, so many knee jerkers and bed wetters in the Hibs support it is embarressing. We are on a shocking run of that there can be no doubt however Calderwood and Adams have enough about them to get new faces in and get us out of this. You just need to look at some of the quality we are bringing in to see that given the chance we will improve. It needs time that is all.

Hamish
31-01-2011, 01:54 PM
Spot on. He is at the edge of the field for all to see, head up. His "dullness" is probably down to his Stranraer accent which can appear just that. He has shown that he will change the team and drop players who dont toe the line, that is not the actions of a man with no confidence or fearful for his position.
He was never the most talented footballer, or the biggest centre half, but he reached to very top of his profession through hard work and determination.
Given the changes he's made to personnell it looks like his public utterances will bear very little similarity to what he's saying in private.

BOOO!!!. Your positivity is an absolute disgrace.

Beefster
31-01-2011, 03:08 PM
I know Petrie is the problem not CC, but this just reads as a "lets defend whoever the manager of our club is" post that too many fans had in the Williamson era, which helped prevent us getting rid of him earlier than we did.

As above problems at Hibs preceded CC but he has clearly fails his first test as he cannot make any difference to an inherited bunch of players, one has to question the merit of giving him time "to get his own team" as that is so often used to give failures longer than they should otherwise get.

That post wasn't defending Calderwood. It was questioning if the poster could justify what he was saying cos it looked like a lot of pish to me. Seriously, sacked for his mannerisms?

If you could read any of my previous posts over the years, you'd know I'm not a 'defend whoever the manager of the club is and whatever kind of job he's doing' kind of guy. I'm just a wee bit more patient than to want a manager sacked after three months and before his first window is over.

Calderwood's signed 5 or 6 players in the window. Folk need to chill the **** out and live with the fact that the Board are going to allow him to rebuild the pile of steaming turd left by Hughes.

JimBHibees
31-01-2011, 07:03 PM
Interesting that Radio Scotland have just done a nice character assassination of CC with a fully fledged psychologist. Dear oh dear, give the guy a ***** break.

I'm_cabbaged
31-01-2011, 07:06 PM
Interesting that Radio Scotland have just done a nice character assassination of CC with a fully fledged psychologist. Dear oh dear, give the guy a ***** break.

What was said? :confused:

Bet you it was that feker Filled Rolls. :greengrin

JimBHibees
31-01-2011, 07:09 PM

Basically he is very negative, he sends out a message and as a leader of men he could be more positive. Psychologist guy was coming out with a whole load of nonsense IMO about it betraying a subsconcious insecurity. To be fair Dodds and Booth stood up for CC and said that was just the way he was and that he was a quiet, determined character who was a winner.

Betty Boop
31-01-2011, 07:10 PM

They appear to think that he is very negative, and transfers this to the players.

Jim44
31-01-2011, 07:13 PM

This will be the guy (Tom somebody) who has been ripping Andy Murray to shreds on Radio Scotland since breakfast time. When asked this morning what Murray was going to have to do to win a Grand Slam he giggled and said "Well he can stop wearing that silly Hibs strip for a start." So they've now got him on to Calderwoods's case.

blackpoolhibs
31-01-2011, 07:16 PM
He does not inspire me as a fan. He does nothing to excite me as a fan. He does nothing to lift the spirits of the fans imo. He's dull, and bland and does nothing to lift the club in general imo with the way he comes across.

Arch Stanton
31-01-2011, 07:16 PM
Basically he is very negative, he sends out a message and as a leader of men he could be more positive. Psychologist guy was coming out with a whole load of nonsense IMO about it betraying a subsconcious insecurity. To be fair Dodds and Booth stood up for CC and said that was just the way he was and that he was a quiet, determined character who was a winner.

He sure doesn't seem to me to be the type that people would take the p*sh out of in a taxi queue!!

The look on his face when Riordan was sent off was quite scary if anything - didn't turn his head or move a muscle.

In fact, if he stuck his arm in his jacket he would look a bit like Napoleon - but given where he ended up that isn't such a great compliment.

Albion Hibs
31-01-2011, 07:27 PM
I believe you can do 4-6 year degree and PHd qualifications in body language. I have not done one so I am probably not the best person to comment - has anyone else?

Seems a bit ridiculous, to be having a shot at the guy just because he does not jump around like Martin O'Neill. Again I am not qualified to judge but i did think he look like a twat!

Managers like Mourinho, Ferguson, Wenger to name a few dont spend the game doing cartwheels, handstands, forward roles or even the odd backflip so I dont see what it has to do with anything.

Billy Whizz
31-01-2011, 07:28 PM
He does not inspire me as a fan. He does nothing to excite me as a fan. He does nothing to lift the spirits of the fans imo. He's dull, and bland and does nothing to lift the club in general imo with the way he comes across.

That's your opinion that I disagree 100% with. I like the way he comes across. Very professional in the way he speaks. How can he lambast the players every week? If he criticised 16 players who are out of contract at the end of season, collectively they could down tools.
He is going about the job in the timescapes that he can and identifying the area's of the team that he believes need's strengthened. If he can't get the players in this window it's not for the want of trying.

JimBHibees
31-01-2011, 07:29 PM

Is it important that he inspires you? Couldnt care less if he was mute as long as he knows enough about the game to get a winning team on the pitch.

blackpoolhibs
31-01-2011, 07:36 PM
That's your opinion that I disagree 100% with. I like the way he comes across. Very professional in the way he speaks. How can he lambast the players every week? If he criticised 16 players who are out of contract at the end of season, collectively they could down tools.
He is going about the job in the timescapes that he can and identifying the area's of the team that he believes need's strengthened. If he can't get the players in this window it's not for the want of trying.

I never mentioned anything about lambasting the players, or being critical of them. I also think he comes acros as a very nervous type.

Is it important that he inspires you? Couldnt care less if he was mute as long as he knows enough about the game to get a winning team on the pitch.

He does not have to inspire me, although is it not a good thing if he inspires the fans? The more he does, maybe the more might turn up? He's not that type, he wont change, so if he does not get a winning team on the pitch, his demeanor wont help buy him time imo.

DH1875
31-01-2011, 07:38 PM
Bloke wasn't just talking about his body language. He was also talking about the words CC uses in interviews and said they were very negative and not the words of a leader :dunno:.

Arch Stanton
31-01-2011, 07:43 PM
Bloke wasn't just talking about his body language. He was also talking about the words CC uses in interviews and said they were very negative and not the words of a leader :dunno:.

:faf:
Thanks for the laugh - I just couldn't help but recall the endless positive chatter we got from Hughes - what price that eh?

blackpoolhibs
31-01-2011, 07:45 PM
:faf:
Thanks for the laugh - I just couldn't help but recall the endless positive chatter we got from Hughes - what price that eh?

Does that mean because Hughes talked tom kite, Calderwoods immune to it?:confused:

Arch Stanton
31-01-2011, 07:51 PM
Does that mean because Hughes talked tom kite, Calderwoods immune to it?:confused:

Immune to what - you've lost me.

Anyway, I wasn't talking about JH talking sh*te, I was referring to the fact that much of what he spouted was very essence of what Positive Thinking textbooks preach.

blackpoolhibs
31-01-2011, 08:02 PM
Immune to what - you've lost me.

Anyway, I wasn't talking about JH talking sh*te, I was referring to the fact that much of what he spouted was very essence of what Positive Thinking textbooks preach.

That sounded very much like the opposite?

Kaiser1962
31-01-2011, 08:08 PM
This will be the guy (Tom somebody) who has been ripping Andy Murray to shreds on Radio Scotland since breakfast time. When asked this morning what Murray was going to have to do to win a Grand Slam he giggled and said "Well he can stop wearing that silly Hibs strip for a start." So they've now got him on to Calderwoods's case.

They could find another ten who would say the opposite if it suited.

RMQ1967
31-01-2011, 08:40 PM
:faf: Yes, his handling of the team is really getting us results.

Try to digest the post before you pick a random line & blurt out any old nonsense - the point is most of these guys have nothing to play for as it is - if he said what he really thought we'd be in an even worse position.

hibsbollah
31-01-2011, 09:11 PM

****sake:rolleyes:
Next it'll be Chick Young doing an in-depth analysis of the ER feng shui.
If this is an attempt to destabilise us for a Glasgae meedya laugh, I hope it backfires and gets the players right behind Calderwood.

hibs0666
22-02-2011, 03:34 PM

:na na:

:thumbsup:

:flag:

:greengrin

Elephant Stone
22-02-2011, 04:05 PM

Do you think the last three games have really been enough to inspire that kind of confidence?

Dashing Bob S
22-02-2011, 04:14 PM
Well I for one, shan't feel utterly at ease until he's sprawled on a leopard-skinned rug at the side of the track, licking a finger and fixing us all in a 'come hither' stare, while thrusting his pelvis slowly and rhythmically into the air.

Only then will we be playing that sexy football which we all so desperately crave.

greenlex
22-02-2011, 05:19 PM

Far too premature. The bi-polar swings of fans never ceases to amaze me.
I think long term he will be good for the club. He may not be successful on the park but he will leave a legacy that is positive

hibs0666
22-02-2011, 05:32 PM
Do you think the last three games have really been enough to inspire that kind of confidence?

Never had any doubt mate.

David@EasterRoad
22-02-2011, 06:09 PM
Well I for one, shan't feel utterly at ease until he's sprawled on a leopard-skinned rug at the side of the track, licking a finger and fixing us all in a 'come hither' stare, while thrusting his pelvis slowly and rhythmically into the air.

Only then will we be playing that sexy football which we all so desperately crave.

Right Calderwood out, Charlie Nicholas in!

Removed
22-02-2011, 06:58 PM
He's only marginally more exciting than coastal erosion!

Are you qualified to talk about coastal erosion? I know a man who is :agree:

TSSF where are you.........

Mikey
22-02-2011, 07:01 PM
Anyone who doesn't see an improvement since the end of January simply doesn't want to see it.

Westie1875
22-02-2011, 07:19 PM
Anyone who doesn't see an improvement since the end of January simply doesn't want to see it.

Agree with this.

Calderwood is doing what he can at the moment to make sure we are safe and win as many games as we can this season, he doesn't have the squad to play tippy tappy football and a relegation battle really isn't the place for it. People need to accept this and wait until next season before we can really judge the way he wants the team to play.

What I have seen over the past few months is a manager who has identified areas where urgent action was required to ensure our safety. He has signed players to address these areas and the evidence is clear in the past few games. His team selection and substitutions at key times have helped ensured the win in each game. Yogi and Mixu didn't have a clue how to change a game and use subs properly, it is looking like CC is capable of doing this and it is certainly helping to make a difference to our results IMO.

As for people having a go at his body language and how he speaks, Mowbray was a lot more dour and showed a lot less enthusiasm during games but people didn't seem to think this was an issue with him.

Prof. Shaggy
22-02-2011, 07:27 PM

Dunno, I just go to watch the team:wink:

IWasThere2016
22-02-2011, 07:36 PM

:top marks Well said Mikey

Perspective
22-02-2011, 07:38 PM
I like the guy and I think he has the guts for the job.

Quietly impressive. Keeping players he probably doesn't rate onside to get the job done this season, signings have instantly improved the team and anyone at the game on Sunday could see how pumped up he was for it.

I think despite the flak he's made of the right stuff.

hibs0666
22-02-2011, 08:16 PM
What do you reckon his plans and strategy are? Cos for me,even though we have won the last three games,it's certainly not because of any tactical strategy that has merited it.It's been down to a lot of luck. We're mince at the moment and I still don't think Calderwood has the talent or intelligence to be of any benefit to us.He's only marginally more exciting than coastal erosion!

Plan is pretty straightforward - bring together a group of players in their early 20's with desire and ability, get them fighting tooth and nail for one another and go and win football matches. Simples :thumbsup:

hibs0666
22-02-2011, 08:17 PM
I only watched the St Mirren game on telly.If you think there was anything on view that indicated an improvement I can tell you in advance I won't be agreeing with you.

Not even the first three point we have got there in a decade? :confused: Call me stupid but I would call that an obvious improvement.

flash
22-02-2011, 08:19 PM
I only watched the St Mirren game on telly.If you are going to post anything remotely sensible I can tell you in advance I won't be agreeing with you.

Tell us something we didn't know.

Removed
22-02-2011, 08:33 PM
Tell us something we didn't know.

No word in the English language rhymes with silver, month, orange or purple :agree:

CraigK
22-02-2011, 08:41 PM
Anyone else notice how at the last two games at ER he was the last to leave the park, after congratulating all of the players? I thought that showed good spirit.

lEXO
22-02-2011, 08:52 PM
4 pages on the managers body language. It,a the players body language and results that I,m interested in, and since CC has brought his players in we have more fight and a better team spirit.
3 wind on the bounce yet some are still having a pop at him.at the start of the year not many could see us winning a relegation battle, but for me the last 3 wins have been about fighting for the points. A regulator reckons that's just luck, not true. Part luck,part skill and a lot more fight and passion.
Some find it hard to give the team or manager a bit credit, Christ they get enough stick so is giving them a wee bit credit for winning 3 on the bounce to much? If so maybe they should tune into Discovery channel and watch coastal erosion when we play ;-)

sesoim
22-02-2011, 10:57 PM
Agree with this.

Calderwood is doing what he can at the moment to make sure we are safe and win as many games as we can this season, he doesn't have the squad to play tippy tappy football and a relegation battle really isn't the place for it. People need to accept this and wait until next season before we can really judge the way he wants the team to play.

What I have seen over the past few months is a manager who has identified areas where urgent action was required to ensure our safety. He has signed players to address these areas and the evidence is clear in the past few games. His team selection and substitutions at key times have helped ensured the win in each game. Yogi and Mixu didn't have a clue how to change a game and use subs properly, it is looking like CC is capable of doing this and it is certainly helping to make a difference to our results IMO.

As for people having a go at his body language and how he speaks, Mowbray was a lot more dour and showed a lot less enthusiasm during games but people didn't seem to think this was an issue with him.

Actually, Mowbray did annoy me at times when he was at Hibs because he would continually trot out "it's the performance that counts", deadpan, after we had chucked away another game. I put out it down to him probably being borderline Aspergers and to be honest I think CC shows signs of this as well.

It's not a problem when the team is doing well and the players have the right character, but it can be a problem when the team is struggling because I don't think people with this kind of personality problem can motivate well. It also doesn't go down well with the public if the manager doesn't seem to have any emotion/normal reactions to defeats (eg Mowbray at Celtic).

It CAN be a benefit in the sense that people with this problem can sometimes deal with pressure much better than the rest of us. They also tend to become very good at certain sports, music etc because they are prepared to practice for ever after everybody else is bored. Andy Murray is another guy who comes across this way - a terrible interviewee but I'll bet he trained like hell over the years.

Hopefully Adams provides a bit of balance in terms of personality and emotion when dealing with/motivating players.

BEEJ
23-02-2011, 09:43 AM
No word in the English language rhymes with silver, month, orange or purple :agree:
Hirple (verb)

Defn: To walk with a limp, to drag a limb, to walk lamely; to move with a gait somewhere between walking and crawling

blackpoolhibs
23-02-2011, 10:20 AM
I think its fantastic how we all seem to be behind a manager in a relegation battle. Just think how together we will all be if he manages to get us into a european spot?

hibs0666
23-02-2011, 10:31 AM
I think its fantastic how we all seem to be behind a manager in a relegation battle. Just think how together we will all be if he manages to get us into a european spot?

Good to hear that you're behind the manager now. :thumbsup:

blackpoolhibs
23-02-2011, 10:32 AM
Good to hear that you're behind the manager now. :thumbsup:

:wink:

Speedway
23-02-2011, 01:41 PM

Eh?

How could a word rhyme with silver, month, orange or purple? They all sound completely different.

Hal Jordan
23-02-2011, 01:48 PM

chilver
uneath
sporange
hirple
:wink:

Dashing Bob S
23-02-2011, 02:58 PM
I like the guy and I think he has the guts for the job.

Quietly impressive. Keeping players he probably doesn't rate onside to get the job done this season, signings have instantly improved the team and anyone at the game on Sunday could see how pumped up he was for it.

I think despite the flak he's made of the right stuff.

I'll hold my hand up and admit that I was unimpressed by this appointment, but I'm also growing more impressed. Really thought we were sliding into the first division with the players and attitude we had, and had we carried on with that personnel, I'm convinced we'd still have given Accies a run for their money.

CC didn't hit the panic button though, and as you say, showed impressive nerves and turned it round in the window with some inspired signings. Looking forward to seeing who he brings in next season.

hibs0666
26-02-2011, 09:59 PM
I only watched the St Mirren game on telly.If you think there was anything on view that indicated an improvement I can tell you in advance I won't be agreeing with you.

At what point do you start agreeing and how good was Maka today?

Gala Foxes
26-02-2011, 10:17 PM
I posted the "body language" post just after the defeat at Tannadice so it is only fair I give credit where credit is due now

The change in the last 4 games has been really encouraging - it is clear that Calderwood has got the players fighting for him and that there is mutual respect - players/manager & manager/players.

The commitment that was lacking previously is there for all to see and all credit to manager & players for bringing this about. There is a lot more pride out on the park and the new signings, that CC picked, have given us a grit that we have been missing for years.

As others have said who cares about body language if we are getting 100%+ on the park - GGTTH

Dinkydoo
26-02-2011, 10:22 PM

I knew that :wink:

CropleyWasGod
26-02-2011, 10:26 PM

<koff> quicksilver

--------
26-02-2011, 11:46 PM
Actually, Mowbray did annoy me at times when he was at Hibs because he would continually trot out "it's the performance that counts", deadpan, after we had chucked away another game. I put out it down to him probably being borderline Aspergers and to be honest I think CC shows signs of this as well.

It's not a problem when the team is doing well and the players have the right character, but it can be a problem when the team is struggling because I don't think people with this kind of personality problem can motivate well. It also doesn't go down well with the public if the manager doesn't seem to have any emotion/normal reactions to defeats (eg Mowbray at Celtic).

It CAN be a benefit in the sense that people with this problem can sometimes deal with pressure much better than the rest of us. They also tend to become very good at certain sports, music etc because they are prepared to practice for ever after everybody else is bored. Andy Murray is another guy who comes across this way - a terrible interviewee but I'll bet he trained like hell over the years.

Hopefully Adams provides a bit of balance in terms of personality and emotion when dealing with/motivating players.

You what? Asperger's?

Asperger's: A pervasive developmental disorder, Asperger syndrome is distinguished by a pattern of symptoms rather than a single symptom. It is characterized by qualitative impairment in social interaction, by stereotyped and restricted patterns of behavior, activities and interests, and by no clinically significant delay in cognitive development or general delay in language. Intense preoccupation with a narrow subject, one-sided verbosity, restricted prosody, and physical clumsiness are typical of the condition, but are not required for diagnosis.

May I ask whether you're qualified to make an informal diagnosis of Asperger's Syndrome in football managers by observing them from the stands on match-days?

I know that they were both big dirty centre-backs, but neither Mowbray nor Calderwood were or are notably physically clumsy.

So CC doesn't bellow like a wounded buffalo (Mixu) or spontaneously vomit conversational absurdities (Hughes), but Asperger's? :rolleyes:

Bostonhibby
27-02-2011, 10:48 AM
I posted the "body language" post just after the defeat at Tannadice so it is only fair I give credit where credit is due now

The change in the last 4 games has been really encouraging - it is clear that Calderwood has got the players fighting for him and that there is mutual respect - players/manager & manager/players.

The commitment that was lacking previously is there for all to see and all credit to manager & players for bringing this about. There is a lot more pride out on the park and the new signings, that CC picked, have given us a grit that we have been missing for years.

As others have said who cares about body language if we are getting 100%+ on the park - GGTTH

:agree: I have always felt CC would do a job ,lots of different ways to organise and motivated players, and gain and retain their respect. We are miles better than prior to CC joining and the players heads are up.

If body language, sound bites and jumping up and down on the touchline alone is the yardstick why did we ever part with Yogi? I was just beginning to understand what he was saying, even if it did bear no relation to what was on the pitch.