PDA

View Full Version : Positives from today?

2NaFish
30-01-2011, 03:25 PM
What can we take from that, that allows us to hope we can stay up?

Thoughts?

Sir David Gray
30-01-2011, 03:27 PM
I thought we played pretty well in the first half.

Broken Gnome
30-01-2011, 03:28 PM
Main positive - crystal clear that not bringing in a striker, and a centre half, could devastate the club.

Do it and we'll be fine. If not....

fatbloke
30-01-2011, 03:31 PM
I went to IKEA at Straiton and had a healthy children's portion of organic pasta.:greengrin

hibee_girl
30-01-2011, 03:33 PM
Martin Scott

R'Albin
30-01-2011, 03:34 PM
Right tin hat on but i dont think we were that bad.

We created plenty of chances but just couldnt finish them. It was infuriating though, I think we might have gone on to win if we could have got the first goal.

Was very impressed with Scott, palsson also looks decent, but we have no bloody striker!:grr::grr: So definately some positives to take from the game, don't get me started on our defence though!

Wotherspiniesta
30-01-2011, 03:35 PM
Martin Scott

:agree:

I'd add Palsson and Booth to that list also.

Craig_in_Prague
30-01-2011, 03:36 PM
Palsson I thought looked excellent. Classy player.
Scott worked hard and brings the fight we need, also he aint a bad player too.
Thornhill will be decent as well from short time he got.
So 3 new permanent signings, all look good to me.
Booth also pretty steady.

It's the pish CC took over that are still hurting the club.

If he persists with Nish, Smith and Dickoh - I think he'll seal this clubs fate.

If we sit here on Tuesday and have a new CH, keeper and a striker, I think not only will we stay up, but we'll start to look like a decent team again!

Manxhibs
30-01-2011, 03:36 PM
There were a few positives for me;

1. I thought the defence (minus dickoh) looked good, booth looks like a cracking prospect.

2. Scott looked like he's up for the fight, he also looked good on the ball and never shirked a tackle.

3. Palsson played well and looks to be a cracking buy fingers crossed.

4. Finally thought we played some good stuff, just need a striker to finish the chances and get in the right positions, as someone said above, if we get a goalscorer we will be fine.

Hopefully we will have a few more new faces before Wednesday and that's where are season starts! GGTTH!!!

Big Ed
30-01-2011, 03:37 PM
Towell, Palsson and Scott all look better than what we have.
If these guys continue in this vein, then we can at least compete in games; Something that we have not been doing lately.

Spike Mandela
30-01-2011, 03:38 PM
We'll do ok in the first division.

Houchy
30-01-2011, 03:39 PM
I thought we played pretty well in the first half.

:agree:

Liked the fight, endless running and desire shown by Scott, and vision for some of the passes from Pallson:agree:.

Thought we were unlucky again.

Surely Dickoh has proved he's not Hibs class and Stephens now gets his shot in his place.:agree:

Don't think we're too far away to be honest but it's clear to everyone (even Petrie surley) that we need a striker:agree:.

scoopyboy
30-01-2011, 03:44 PM
We are in trouble, no two ways about that. Grovelling for positives but here goes.

1. We won't have to play Motherwell, Rangers or Dundee Utd again this season.

2. I thought the four new signings looked reasonable given the small amount of time they've been here. Hopefully Hart and Rankin have played their last.

3. We aren't scoring goals but neither are Hamilton (who have actually scored 7 less than us) or St.Mirren.

4. I believe (we f***ing better had)we will bring one or two players tomorrow.

5. Petrie's coupon tells me he knows he needs to spend, the positive being this game was played on the 30th January rather than after the window closes,

Hank Schrader
30-01-2011, 03:44 PM
Main positive - crystal clear that not bringing in a striker, and a centre half, could devastate the club.

Do it and we'll be fine. If not....

That is 100% my opinion too. Someone to replace Dickoh and a proven goal scorer. If that does not happen we are rooked.

Oh and Brown back in goal please.

AlbertK86
30-01-2011, 03:45 PM
Booth - excellent on the ball and looks like he will be a great player for years to come.

Palsson - Big, strong, very composed and looks like he has a good football brain with a good range of passes in his locker. Expect big things when he settles in.

Scott - fantastic engine with a superb aggressive attitude. The type of combatitive midfielder we have been missing for years now.

Hanlon - Looks the part but needs an experienced talker beside him

Miller - Looked at times that he might be the one to benefit most from having two big strong hard men in Palsson and Scott there to help him out. Still needs to play the ball earlier at times after beating his man. However with the useless Nish upfront nobody was showing or making the right runs for him

delbert
30-01-2011, 04:02 PM
Main positives for me today are that this result confirmed 2 things - Season tickets will be a lot cheaper next season, and you will have the pick of all the best seats !

NORTHERNHIBBY
30-01-2011, 04:10 PM
When that woman steward got wiped out by the ball and someone shouted " quick Goodwille, she is on her back and unconcious". Funniest shout of the day. Closely matched by the running spat with the wee lassies at the front of the shed.

Ferryhibby
30-01-2011, 05:25 PM
Dont think theres any tin hat neede here i thought we were probably as good as we couldve been, given three players making their debut in a new look midfield, they did well once again the strikers looked shot of confidence but a goal or two will change that, tend to agree with Pat Nevin someone to pu the ball in the net and maybe a centre half to help Hanlon along, couldnt argue with the formation we finished with though. Season must start on wednesday now by then we'll know who weve got to keep us in the league.

Baldy Foghorn
30-01-2011, 05:57 PM
Right tin hat on but i dont think we were that bad.

We created plenty of chances but just couldnt finish them. It was infuriating though, I think we might have gone on to win if we could have got the first goal.

Was very impressed with Scott, palsson also looks decent, but we have no bloody striker!:grr::grr: So definately some positives to take from the game, don't get me started on our defence though!

Not sure about creating plenty of chances, but we looked more solid in first half than of late...... Hopefully Polsson, Scott and Thornhill, cement their places and we can see an end of Miller, Rankin etc

sunshine1875
30-01-2011, 06:00 PM
We'll do ok in the first division.

We'll have the best stadium in the 1st division:agree:

Gala Foxes
30-01-2011, 06:04 PM
Positives - Scott, Booth, Hanlon

Negatives - Dickoh, Miller , Nish & the clueless looks on our bench /at the touchline

Hilarious - Limahl the Linesman & Petrie in his bunnet

blackpoolhibs
30-01-2011, 06:06 PM
Its 1 game nearer the end for Calderwood.

Removed
30-01-2011, 06:09 PM
Still got a third of a tank of unleaded in my car

IWasThere2016
30-01-2011, 06:11 PM
Its 1 game nearer the reinstatement of Yogi

RMQ1967
30-01-2011, 06:12 PM

I realise it's early days but what do you think the players he's introduced into the team (Booth, Towell, & the 2 new guys today)?

hibs0666
30-01-2011, 06:16 PM

Hughes reign of terror is one more game in the distance.

marinello59
30-01-2011, 06:18 PM
We played fairly well in the first half.
The new signings look less likely to be bullied. In fact it looks like Scott will be doing the bullying.
We had more decent balls in to the box than I can remember in recent matches.
It's not much but it's a start.

blackpoolhibs
30-01-2011, 06:19 PM
I realise it's early days but what do you think the players he's introduced into the team (Booth, Towell, & the 2 new guys today)?

I thought the two new lads did well, trowell is ok, nothing special. Along with Booth it gives us two diddy men as full backs who are very susceptible to the diagonal balls, especially when those wide players or supporting ones are so much bigger.

Jones28
30-01-2011, 06:26 PM
Based on what I've heard on hear (wasn't at the game, nor did I listen to it on the radio) my team for St Mirren is:

Brown
Towell Stephens Hanlon Booth
Scott Pallson Thornhill
Miller
Byrne Trakys

Nish's time was up in the summer IMHO, so will not expect to see him again, and with Miller no longer tasked with being a ball-winner I think if he plays as a more attacking midfielder we will see results.
My formation would be a 4-1-2-1-2, with Pallson playing in front of the defence, Scott and Thornhill playing infront of him and slightly wider, providing a bit more width, but not playing as wingers.
Byrne ripped the pish out of teams in the second division, and St Mirren are as close as he'll get in the SPL (apart from us) so would want him to play off Trakys - if not Trakys then Duffy but PLEASE not Colin Nish.

francobaresi
30-01-2011, 06:34 PM
Why ask about positives from the game, we lose week in week out, where the hell can you find positives in that. 2nd bottom of the league & sinking faster than the Titanic...:aok:

RMQ1967
30-01-2011, 06:44 PM
I thought the two new lads did well, trowell is ok, nothing special. Along with Booth it gives us two diddy men as full backs who are very susceptible to the diagonal balls, especially when those wide players or supporting ones are so much bigger.

By "diddy men" are you saying you don't rate Booth or Towell?

To put it another way - do you think they're better or worse than those they've replaced?

Obviously there are 3 key positions that need to be sorted pronto (GK, CH, CF) but where I'm going is; do you think CC is improving the team with the guys he's brought in?

Removed
30-01-2011, 06:46 PM
Why ask about positives from the game, we lose week in week out, where the hell can you find positives in that. 2nd bottom of the league & sinking faster than the Titanic...:aok:

:agree: But some folk think we are improving. I wasn't at the game today and I'm interested ahead of the St Mirren game

blackpoolhibs
30-01-2011, 06:51 PM
By "diddy men" are you saying you don't rate Booth or Towell?

To put it another way - do you think they're better or worse than those they've replaced?

Obviously there are 3 key positions that need to be sorted pronto (GK, CH, CF) but where I'm going is; do you think CC is improving the team with the guys he's brought in?

The two full backs look decent, but also have their weaknesses, height being one of them.

Couple that with two weak central defenders and we have a new defence, 3 of them still kids with hardly much 1st team football at all at this level, in fact 2 of them with practically none.

I didn't imagine it today, we did lose 3-0 didn't we?

el capitano
30-01-2011, 07:00 PM
they have got rid of the narrow knee breaking wooden seats at tannadice and replaced them with plastic ones.

blackpoolhibs
30-01-2011, 07:03 PM
He's not won one game since coming to easter road, and we have not scored a goal in all that time either, whats there to be positive about?

GREEN WARLORD
30-01-2011, 07:18 PM

Maybe he asked for positives because it has become extremely tiresome talking about how stinkingly bad we are every week.

Ferryhibby
30-01-2011, 07:26 PM
Based on what I've heard on hear (wasn't at the game, nor did I listen to it on the radio) my team for St Mirren is:

Brown
Towell Stephens Hanlon Booth
Scott Pallson Thornhill
Miller
Byrne Trakys

Nish's time was up in the summer IMHO, so will not expect to see him again, and with Miller no longer tasked with being a ball-winner I think if he plays as a more attacking midfielder we will see results.
My formation would be a 4-1-2-1-2, with Pallson playing in front of the defence, Scott and Thornhill playing infront of him and slightly wider, providing a bit more width, but not playing as wingers.
Byrne ripped the pish out of teams in the second division, and St Mirren are as close as he'll get in the SPL (apart from us) so would want him to play off Trakys - if not Trakys then Duffy but PLEASE not Colin Nish.

:top marks:top marks:top marks top post mate agree with everythin includin the team, Trakys isnt goin to get us goals but will fight and battle hard.

Nakedmanoncrack
30-01-2011, 07:45 PM
Booth - excellent on the ball and looks like he will be a great player for years to come.

Palsson - Big, strong, very composed and looks like he has a good football brain with a good range of passes in his locker. Expect big things when he settles in.

Scott - fantastic engine with a superb aggressive attitude. The type of combatitive midfielder we have been missing for years now.

Hanlon - Looks the part but needs an experienced talker beside him

Miller - Looked at times that he might be the one to benefit most from having two big strong hard men in Palsson and Scott there to help him out. Still needs to play the ball earlier at times after beating his man. However with the useless Nish upfront nobody was showing or making the right runs for him

Positive comments for 5 of the 11?

The other new players may turn out to be decent but to be honest the only positive I saw today was Scott who looked like he could offer something.

Oh, and the steward getting knocked out by the ball as mentioned by someone else.

McKenzie
30-01-2011, 08:23 PM
The new signings impressed me, the wee hoodrats in the shed & the steward getting floored by Duffy :notworthy:

essexhibee
30-01-2011, 09:52 PM
Had galbraith scored i think it would have been a different game. We were playing well at that point and I think we would have gained confidence and go on to win the match. As soon as miller missed the second chance I was just waiting for utd to punish us.

What a huge match Wednesday is. The biggest in recent years. A win could see us get confidence and pull away. A loss would be catastrophic .

RMQ1967
30-01-2011, 10:14 PM
The two full backs look decent, but also have their weaknesses, height being one of them.

Couple that with two weak central defenders and we have a new defence, 3 of them still kids with hardly much 1st team football at all at this level, in fact 2 of them with practically none.

I didn't imagine it today, we did lose 3-0 didn't we?

I'm not sure height is really a weakness for a fullback - Booth & Towell must be at least 5'10"?? They both look like talented athletic boys & certainly improvements on what we had before.

If you want to look at it only in terms of black & white then no doubt about it results have not improved at all. However most people would agree there's an an area between the extremes and there were some positives today.

Baader
30-01-2011, 10:31 PM
I have doubts about CC but it's hard to say - I wasn't at the game today - and he inherited a squad that clearly needs disbanded as it is amongst the worst I have seen - for whatever reason.

Given the players he's brought in, I have hope that he is targeting the weakness - but a bit to do yet. Strong centre half and striker needed. And need to be proven.

Still worried about some questionable decisions (eg Smith amongst other ones) but hoping at least he's identified our weaknesses. His knowledge of the Scottish game is probably causing him nightmares though - doubt he had any idea how bad we were...

basehibby
30-01-2011, 10:46 PM
The positives for me today were the two fullbacks - both of whom look an improvement on previous incumbents- and Scott who put himself about well today and was always involved. Even if not all of his touches came off today he looked like he had the right idea and looks a good acquisition.